Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

@Bastet thanks for posting that article.
 Believe it or not the dough doesn’t overwhelm the toppings. There’s an overwhelming amount of topping on this style pizza. In fact that’s what was making the whole thing gag worthy. Imagine recipe testing so many times just to achieve perfection in this awful product. 

Grilled pork chops in my UN sauce, sweet potato casserole, and spinach. It was really good but I destroyed the air in our house by burning the last pork chop in my Grillade.  They never put an exhaust fan in our kitchen so I only have the fan over the stove (it just recirculates the fumes). Interesting that our inspection guy never mentioned this 24 years ago 😡

• Sad 1

I'm having a pork chop tonight, too -- I just put it in to brine.  I'll do it on the grill pan as it's too cold (well, for L.A.) to go outside and mess with the real grill.  Spinach here, too, so great minds think alike -- the side will be sauteed spinach and mushrooms.  The salad some sort of slaw I need to go survey the fridge contents to figure out, as I'm out of salad greens mix and didn't make it to the store today, so all I have is cabbage (red and green).

• Like 2
(edited)

I made a big pot of minestrone soup today. Yum!  I loosely followed the recipe in Joy of Cooking, tossing in aging vegetables from the fridge, some not from the recipe. Carrots and celery, leek, broccoli and zucchini, and cabbage. This is not a vegetarian recipe.  You start with a little bacon, which I think makes it special.  Also navy beans, cooked from scratch in the pressure cooker. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 4

I'm making vegetarian chili tonight for the first time in a while. It's based on a Weight Watchers recipe, but I swap out the eggplant with zucchini and red beans with black beans. I also add some sweet corn. It makes enough for 2 meals for both of us. Cook tonight, reheat tomorrow night.

• Like 1

We went out to lunch today at a place that has really good Hungarian mushroom soup. It did not disappoint. I had a lime cilantro bowl with rice, black beans, cheese, avocado, and pico de gallo. I added blackened shrimp, which was overcooked (boo!). I didn't finish it but didn't bring the rest home. Now I wish I had. Oh well.

• Like 2

Grilled chicken (marinade is Greek vinaigrette & Turkish Seasoning...great combo!); Greek salad; and Spice Island pilaf--cooked, cooled and then sauted in olive oil, butter, some pine nuts, and a little garlic.  Some of it got a little crispy...my favorite part (so much easier than pilaf from scratch 😊).

• Like 2
On 3/14/2024 at 11:51 AM, chessiegal said:

I added blackened shrimp, which was overcooked (boo!).

Boo, indeed.  I don't like overcooked anything, but overcooked shrimp is a particularly aggravating offense (and it happens quickly, so I get it, it's easy to do, but it's one thing if I get distracted and screw it up and another if someone I'm paying for food serves it that way).

I went grocery shopping this afternoon, but have concluded I am not in the mood to cook tonight, so I just ordered Thai food: chicken satay, papaya salad, and pad gra prow with shrimp.  More food than I'd cook, so I'd have leftovers even if I skipped the appetizer, but I almost almost always get one when I order in, as I consider going out/getting delivery a treat meal, and I really like leftover satay, so that's a good option.  I almost went with chicken for the pad gra prow (or however one chooses to spell it; none of the restaurants here can reach a consensus), as that's easier to reheat than shrimp, but I'm craving the combination of shrimp and basil.

There's a new-to-me Asian fusion place nearby I want to try, so I considered that, but I'm in the mood for one of my old standbys tonight as it has been a while.

• Like 3

When I went to The Fresh Market yesterday (Mondays are BOGO on their fish cakes - we like their salmon cakes) I picked up Hungarian Mushroom Soup. I'd bought it before, and for some reason didn't think it was as good as the soup we get at a favorite restaurant, but I had it for lunch today and it was really good. I'm glad I tried it again. 

On my last trip the market, Bertolli frozen meals were on sale for half off.  They have more sodium than I'd want to eat regularly, and use white pasta when I prefer whole wheat, but when they first came out I liked them as an occasional option for when I didn't feel like cooking but didn't want to order in.  But not only did they get more expensive, they started coming with significantly less meat, so it's been a long time since I last tried one.  Given the sale price, I bought a bag of the chicken florentine with farfalle to see how little chicken was in it this time around.  (That one and the shrimp penne with asparagus are the ones I liked back in the day.)

I made it last night, and, holy crap, if this stuff was on sale for a frakkin' dollar I wouldn't buy it again just on general principle.  There were maybe half a dozen pieces of chicken in the bag (and the bag is supposed to be three servings, but I say two), and the pieces are literally half the size they used to be.  They cut down on the spinach, too.  So it's basically a bag of pasta and sauce.  Yeah, no.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

So it's basically a bag of pasta and sauce.  Yeah, no.

This is a common theme with packaged food now - in order to not raise the price so much that people (to be frank, mostly people that never cook because they don't have time or are not able to for mobility reasons) can still afford to buy the product, they decrease the expensive ingredients (i.e. meat/chicken/seafood) and keep the weight the same by just upping the filler part. I occasionally buy a shrimp concoction for Friday dinners because I get home late on Fridays and am often too tired to contemplate cooking: the meal I get is now down to three or four pathetic little shrimp - the rest is inexpensive veggies like broccoli and onion and some pasta (which I should not be eating anyways!).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

@Bastet I have a bag of the Bertolli chicken florentine in my freezer now. In the past I've added more chicken and veggies. I call it an emergency meal and don't eat it often. 

That's what I've done with the Bertolli products. I believe it's called shrinkage. So I added shrimp to the shrimp & asparagus. But the last time I bought it, there was so little pasta in it that I decided it's not enough for two people (heck...barely enough for one).

• Sad 2
On 3/20/2024 at 2:19 PM, isalicat said:

This is a common theme with packaged food now - in order to not raise the price so much that people (to be frank, mostly people that never cook because they don't have time or are not able to for mobility reasons) can still afford to buy the product, they decrease the expensive ingredients (i.e. meat/chicken/seafood) and keep the weight the same by just upping the filler part.

Oh, certainly -- these frozen Bertolli meals are part of a widespread pattern.  They're just the one whose trajectory I've experienced as I generally stayed away from such things.

On 3/20/2024 at 3:24 PM, chessiegal said:

I have a bag of the Bertolli chicken florentine in my freezer now. In the past I've added more chicken and veggies. I call it an emergency meal and don't eat it often. 

For $1 (on sale; regular price is less than $2) I can keep a box of Pasta Roni in the pantry as an emergency pasta meal to which I can add meat and vegetables.  I'm not going to give Bertolli $5 (the best sale price here; $10 is regular price and I usually see them advertised for $7 [I'm rounding from the .99 stores use]) and still need to add stuff, even rarely.  For that money, I want it to truly be a convenience meal -- something I do nothing to beyond heating and eating. 

• Like 3

Last night I took the easy way out and got a rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, and steamed some broccoli. Tonight, I took the leftover chicken and broccoli and made a chicken noodle casserole. 

• Like 1

We had lunch at a small cafe today. They offer specials Friday-Monday, and Tuesday-Thursday. Today's specials included shrimp corn chowder, so we went by and had some. It was really good.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Beef stew and mashed potatoes. I used up the last of the Yukon potatoes, and tossed some "almost old" Campari tomatoes into the stew. 

I have entirely switched from using potatoes in my beef stew to using turnips - you get the same addition of something bland and "potato-y" but with a little less carbs and more vitamins. I also throw in a quartered orange (leave the peel on) for the first hour of simmering (at the same time as I add lots of red wine and the water or beef stock), then take the orange all out - gives a lovely flavor and the acidity brings out the flavor of the meat and makes it more tender.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
On 3/26/2024 at 5:19 PM, isalicat said:

I have entirely switched from using potatoes in my beef stew to using turnips - you get the same addition of something bland and "potato-y" but with a little less carbs and more vitamins. I also throw in a quartered orange (leave the peel on) for the first hour of simmering (at the same time as I add lots of red wine and the water or beef stock), then take the orange all out - gives a lovely flavor and the acidity brings out the flavor of the meat and makes it more tender.

Squash works too (though I think it's higher in carbs than turnip)!  

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Squash works too (though I think it's higher in carbs than turnip)!  

Yes! only though, in my opinion, if you are going to finish the whole stew the day/night you cook it. Squash gets too soft/mushy (at least the kind I would use - something without tremendous flavor, like butternut or whatever that yellow type is called) in reheating, whereas turnips, like potatoes, are starchy enough to stay as distinct chunks or cubes or whatever. Stew is so lovely for playing add and subtract with...I experiment with herbs a lot and also using different kinds of wine.

• Like 1

I have some shrimp that need to be cooked tonight, and the last serving of a batch of pesto I made a couple of weeks ago needs to be used soon, too, so I'm going to make whole wheat penne with shrimp, asparagus, and pesto.  Salad will be spring mix of greens with avocado, scallions, and a lemon vinaigrette.  Simple, but I'm looking forward to it. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Forgot to post about our Easter dinner (that we had on Good Friday as Sunday involved too much time in DC). It was a typical ham, sweet potato casserole, etc , dinner but the highlight was Tuxedo cake from Costco. I haven't had it in years & it's delicious! Our daughter said it's very similar to Tiger Cake that they get in MN. Thin layers of chocolate cake with layers of chocolate mousse and, I think, a vanilla mousse or white chocolate mousse. Serves a lot of people and only cost $17. We five had "seconds" the rest of the weekend 😁.

• Like 1

I'm not all that fond of chocolate cake, but I like chocolate to be involved with my cake, so my favorite tuxedo cake is a little different; it uses marble cake instead of chocolate, and then alternates white chocolate and dark chocolate mousse, with chocolate ganache and fresh fruit on top.  It looks nothing like a tuxedo, but it's delicious.

• Like 3

I’m going to make dad a chocolate cake for his birthday. I might try one I have saved in my email. I’ll find it. 
I’m making a small cheesecake for my own, and tonight, I made this - I keep forgetting I can’t just paste links here, on my ipad.  I need to use the thing above.  https://pinchofyum.com/healing-chicken-and-rice-soup I add tamari to my congee, but with this, I preferred it without. I’m going to add the lime juice individually instead of into the whole thing.  

my dad tried to make bread today, because we’re broke, and needed some.  It was slightly clunky, and cakey, but not bad.  I think his round loaf looked better, and I’ll try it with my soup. 

• Like 4

I had grits for breakfast with a sprinkle of salt and some real butter (not that plant-based 'light' spread I usually buy) and it was tasty. 

I'm probably going to have a fairly heavy supper, so I'm having a bowl of fresh pineapple for lunch. One of my local grocery stores had whole pineapples .99 each a few days ago and I bought two.  I figured that whatever I couldn't eat fresh I could freeze for later.  I also found some fresh strawberries that weren't too expensive, so I've enjoyed fruit salad for several days this past week (adding sliced banana for a trio of fruit flavors). I added some plain Greek yogurt as a 'side dish' a couple of times. 

Not sure what I'm going to fix for supper, but probably either some corned beef hash (made with canned corned beef--nothing fancy) or my version of General Tso's chicken (basically a mishmash of chicken tenders cooked and cut into chunks and sauteed onion and sweet peppers over rice with some General Tso sauce drizzled over all. 

• Like 2

I didn't feel like cooking the other day, so picked up a rotisserie chicken. There was enough chicken left over to make chicken noodle soup, so that's what we're having for dinner tonight. It made huge pot, so I'll freeze some.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I didn't feel like cooking the other day, so picked up a rotisserie chicken. There was enough chicken left over to make chicken noodle soup, so that's what we're having for dinner tonight. It made huge pot, so I'll freeze some.

I get a rotisserie chicken from my go-to market about every three weeks - there is enough for three dinners plus two lunches (there is just me at my house) at $8.98 and they are delicious! Saves me so much time and effort on the nights I have rehearsals and its really very economical given the price of everything else.

• Like 5

I made the Soup Nazi's Mulligatawny Soup for supper. Then I made Strawberry Shortcake for dessert. MrP914 had two helpings of each (but he can get away with stuff like this because he walks 3 miles 😵‍💫 every other day and has no weight problems at all). This dessert was a splurge for us and geez, it was so good!

• Like 4

Today is our 28th wedding anniversary. We went to our favorite restaurant for lunch, Carrols Creek Cafe in Annapolis. I had a crab cake sandwich (skipped the bun) and my husband had the Chilean sea bass special, (both were delicious). We shared a flourless chocolate cake with berries and vanilla ice cream for dessert. Yum!

• Like 2
  • Love 3