Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I indeed wound up ordering in last night -- Indonesian.  I had plecing kangkung, which is a spinach salad, and ayam rica-rica (a spicy chicken dish).

Tonight, I'm going to make chipotle shrimp with tomatoes and zucchini out of my parents' garden.  Salad will be jicama with watercress and romaine, and a cilantro-lime dressing.

• Like 1

We hosted a family get-together for my husband’s side today (postponed from 2020 because of the pandemic.  We moved into our current place the weekend before everything shut down) and we way over-ordered:  bagels and a dairy platter (ie cream cheese, tuna salad and egg salad.  We also added lox), veggies and dip, a fruit platter, cookies and some tea sandwiches, mostly for three kids.  For dinner, my husband, son and I are basically eating the leftovers from lunch plus a lasagna I already had thawing in the fridge.  There’ll be stuff for tomorrow, too. 

• Like 1

We ordered from a new (to us) place last night and had delicious Afghani chicken kabobs, grilled veggies, spinach, chickpeas in a sauce, and I think Jasmine rice. The naan was so good. I'll make my own raita in the future as theirs tasted like it had mayo in it (which I know would be too bizarre but that was the taste). Yum food and no OTT delivery fee.

• Like 3

We celebrated our anniversary (13 years!!) two days early and my husband took me out for brunch at a very nice Italian restaurant.  I had a cheese frittata, which came with a side salad and cappuccino.  He had eggs over a potato cake (which he said reminded him of a latke) and we shared a biscotti plate.  We ended up taking most of the biscotti home (there were four pieces plus four shortbread biscuits.  Ate two biscotti).  Dinner was roast chicken and fusilli with a ratatouille sauce.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, PRgal said:

We celebrated our anniversary (13 years!!)

Happy Anniversary!

It was so gorgeous out today (after a few days of miserable gray and raind) we decided to go to our favorite micro-brewery and have a beer on their outside patio. 

This place also has a different food truck there each day.  Today's food truck was Jamaican.  So we decided to grab some food.  Great decision!  I had the Oxtail stew, sweet plantains and fried dumplings.  I was skeptical because I had never had their stuff before, but that stew was fire, so complex and delicious!  My husband had curry chicken and rice. 

• Like 2

We get take out for brunch most weekends, usually from the same five or six places.  I had avocado toast and salad (but didn't eat all of the bread - maybe 1 1/2 slices?  Ate all the avocado, eggs and salad though.  We then took my son out for his first professional haircut and got ice cream after.  I had kiddie sized scoops of apple cinnamon and birthday cake (vanilla with bits of birthday cake and rainbow sprinkles).  Dinner tonight is our usual Saturday roast chicken.

• Like 2

So we had a pizza party with our friends who have an outdoor brick oven pizza on their patio.  We've gone to several of their pizza parties and we always come back with great pizza ideas from the other people there.  Our pizza was a portobello mushroom, grilled red pepper, pesto pizza.  It tasted great.

Our hosts did this very tasty carmelized onion, black olive and spinach pizza.

The best one of the night though was from this other couple who did a pizza with soppresata dolce, goat cheese, sweet/hot chilis and drizzled with hot honey. 

• Like 5

I went to two different events at work today that provided food.  One was a workshop that had a little nacho bar.  Later I went to an open house that had coffee and pastries.  So, I wasn't really hungry when I got off work.  And, I had to go to the grocery store.  It was good that I didn't shop hungry, but I don't feel like cooking dinner.  Luckily, I picked up sandwich fixins', so I'm having a cheese sandwich and a chicken salad (the kind from Walmart with cranberries and pecans) sandwich.  And a huge glass of ice water.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

One was a workshop that had a little nacho bar.

Yum.  Did they have good stuff?

All I've had so far today is salami, cheese, and crackers, and I have no idea what I'm going to do for dinner.  Maybe some leftover chicken; my parents are still wiped out from COVID, but finally starting to have a little bit of an appetite, so one of the things I made for them was chicken (whole chicken, cut up) baked in an herb wine sauce with Parm and paprika sprinkled on top.  I took them half and kept the other half for me.  I ate the drumstick fresh out of the oven, as that's my least-favorite piece of chicken and I hate it leftover, and snacked on part of the breast the next day, but I still have the rest. 

Yep, I think I'll do that -- roast some veggies, pour dressing over some spring mix salad from a bag, and reheat a piece of chicken.  Sounds about right for my energy level.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Yum.  Did they have good stuff?

It wasn't bad.  Taco-seasoned beef, cheese sauce, salsa, chips.  And refried beans that I actually liked.  Usually they are too bland for me, but these had just a little salsa -- I think -- mixed in with a few beans left whole (but soft). And toppings such as jalapenos. 

You mentioned that the drumstick is your least favorite piece of chicken.  I like the chicken breast best, but hardly ever cook those for myself.  Next to that, the drumstick is my favorite. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

You mentioned that the drumstick is your least favorite piece of chicken.  I like the chicken breast best, but hardly ever cook those for myself.  Next to that, the drumstick is my favorite.

I eat a lot of chicken breast because it's healthy and versatile, but my ranking is: thigh, wing, breast, drumstick. 

Usually when I roast a whole chicken, I eat the wings while I'm letting it rest, and then once I carve it I'll eat a thigh and drumstick (I get small chickens, around 3-1/2 pounds).  The other thigh I'll eat as a leftover for lunch, but the other drumstick gets tossed in the "to make stock" bag in the freezer.  I'll take the breast meat off the bone, and use it as an ingredient in all sorts of things.

I made chicken noodle soup for my parents, too, and kept some of that for me, which I don't normally do.  It's not my favorite soup (I tend to like soups without noodles, even though I like pasta), I only eat soup for lunch, and I'm not always in the mood for it during hot weather, but I'm so tired (from stress, and running around doing things for them) that having something so quick and easy to re-heat makes it more appealing than it would normally be.

15 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

It wasn't bad.  Taco-seasoned beef, cheese sauce, salsa, chips.  And refried beans that I actually liked.  Usually they are too bland for me, but these had just a little salsa -- I think -- mixed in with a few beans left whole (but soft). And toppings such as jalapenos. 

I love simple nachos with cheese sauce, or just melted shredded cheese, and jalapeños, but I also like them with various fixings.  I hate beans and don't care for ground beef other than as a cheeseburger, though, so I don't get excited by many of the traditional recipes.  I've had delicious chicken and, especially, shrimp nachos.  Ina Garten made crab nachos that sounded absolutely delicious in terms of ingredients (other than cream cheese, which I'd leave out), but have me thinking I might find them a waste of crab.  I'll try them someday, I'm sure.

• Like 2

I work at a local food pantry and we are closed for the Labor Day holiday on Monday. So yesterday was "clear the shelves" day, as in, get rid of anything that won't last until Tuesday. Trader Joe's donated lots and lots of packages of asparagus spears that definitely fit the description, so at the end of the shift all of us worker bees were sent home with as much asparagus as we would take. Last night's dinner was asparagus, lightly steamed, and then quickly sauted in butter, olive oil, garlic and black pepper. I had some slices of smoked salmon on the side. Perfect summer dinner (for me!). 😸 Thank you, Trader Joe's! (they are consistently generous all year round and I always make sure to say thank you to the store manager whenever I go in there to buy stuff.)

• Like 5
  • Love 1

We usually get brunch takeout on weekends (old habit from the pandemic) and ordered an omelette as well as an egg crepe to share between the three of us (the place has huge portions).  Then we went out to get a birthday cake for me (my birthday was yesterday) to have at dinner when my parents came over.  Dinner?  Chicken skewers and lasagna with salad.  And the cake, of course.  The cake was mislabelled - I had picked a Neapolitan cake, but the cake turned out to be mocha!   Not a good thing on the store's part.  I mean, what if I was allergic to nuts and the cake had nuts?  

• Like 1

Have you all heard of Peter Luger’s?  A well known NYC steak house. Has some reputation as a tourist trap, but we’ve eaten there a couple of times.  It’s hard to get in.   It’s famous for its side dishes as well as steak. Such as creamed spinach. 
So imagine my excitement when I found  Peter Luger’s creamed spinach at the supermarket today. Unfortunately, it was terrible!  Wasn’t even creamed!  Tasted like some bad canned spinach. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3
38 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Have you all heard of Peter Luger’s?  A well known NYC steak house. Has some reputation as a tourist trap, but we’ve eaten there a couple of times.  It’s hard to get in.   It’s famous for its side dishes as well as steak. Such as creamed spinach. 
So imagine my excitement when I found  Peter Luger’s creamed spinach at the supermarket today. Unfortunately, it was terrible!  Wasn’t even creamed!  Tasted like some bad canned spinach. 

I've been to Peter Luger's.  It was fun, but a little far away from where we usually stay.  The food was fine and the service lived up to its reputation as a bit brusque.  Our go-to old-timey steakhouse is Keen's. 

Sorry the creamed spinach didn't live up to its namesake. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

That's a bummer. I know you can get their steak sauce in supermarkets, but I had never seen anything like what you found. (And now I know not to bother if I do.)

I think their porterhouse steak is totally worth the trip once in a blue moon when the urge hits me.

• Like 3

I see Keen's serves creamed spinach also.  Peter Luger is also known for their onion rolls.

What you all may not know is that there's a second Peter Luger location in Queens.  I grew up near there, so we would go to that one.  Some people think that it's not the real Peter Luger's if you don't go to the Brooklyn location.  LOL.

• Useful 1

I made deconstructed chicken parmegiano, served with sauce and thin spaghetti, plus a tossed salad. The chicken was just ok and for some odd reason, the first level smells like I was cooking Brussels Sprouts, cauliflower, & broccoli 😡.  I can't figure out why, but I've sprayed with Fresh Wave (didn't help) & now have a Tranquil Lotus candle burning. Yuck. ETA: I turned on the air purifier and the smell is gone. But it was only in the great room, not the kitchen. I looked up house odors & it mentioned natural gas leaks. Need to find my husband and discuss. We have carbon monoxide detectors on each level.

The odor is gone. Strange.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 1
19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I have tried kale every way it can be served. I do not like it.

I bought a bag of kale at Trader Joe's and it was already shredded. I shredded carrots, added sliced red onions & then we added the peanut dressing individually. The dressing is the "lure". I've also put kale in soups & it was ok. It's supposed to be good for our eyes.

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

It's supposed to be good for our eyes.

I eat a lot of kale and still can't see more than two feet in front of my face without glasses.

I love most greens.  But not if they've been cooked slow and low for hours; I hate the traditional preparation of collard greens and such! 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I have a good recipe for Portuguese kale soup with potato and chorizo or linguica. If you use the dark green Tuscan kale it’s great. 

I love kale in soup - among other things - and also combine it with linguica (no potato, though; I hate it).  I agree Tuscan kale is particularly good; it's probably my favorite, but I have yet to try a variety of kale I didn't like (it's just that some are better than others for specific applications, particularly when using raw).

I made another batch of food for my parents (both recovering from COVID and my mom also dealing with having a catheter due to a bladder problem that's resulting in a series of tests) today, so just noshed on those dishes as I cooked and am about to call it a night.  No soup this round, as they still have some Italian wedding soup.  The salad is a dill slaw, the vegetable sides are baked tomatoes with a spinach, onion, and cheese mix, and a zucchini, asparagus, artichoke, and mushroom sauté, and the mains are a spicy (ginger and garlic) chicken and mushroom dish and chicken enchiladas; I've only made the (tomatillo, serrano, and cilantro) sauce for the latter so far, the rest will come tomorrow and then I'll go deliver. 

I am not a huge kale fan either, but there are two dishes I absolutely love where it is really one of the elements that makes them work.

One is something called a Winter salad hummus bowl.  It is warmed hummus, with grilled brussels sprouts,  slightly wilted kale  (in a lovely dressing made with honey, soy sauce,rice vinegar, and olive oil) and soft boiled eggs, all topped with sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and dried cranberries. 

And the other is a spicy lentil soup.  The kale adds a nice level of texture to the soup.

I've subbed out spinach in a pinch for both of these and it just didn't work. Not the right texture or taste.

• Like 2
On 9/10/2023 at 12:44 PM, DearEvette said:

I am not a huge kale fan either, but there are two dishes I absolutely love where it is really one of the elements that makes them work.

One is something called a Winter salad hummus bowl.  It is warmed hummus, with grilled brussels sprouts,  slightly wilted kale  (in a lovely dressing made with honey, soy sauce,rice vinegar, and olive oil) and soft boiled eggs, all topped with sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and dried cranberries. 

And the other is a spicy lentil soup.  The kale adds a nice level of texture to the soup.

I've subbed out spinach in a pinch for both of these and it just didn't work. Not the right texture or taste.

Does anyone else find, as I do, that recipe givers too often talk about "leafy greens" as if they're interchangeable and suggest substituting them without taking into account the sometimes significant textural and flavor, even colour differences?  It does a disservice to people who are trying to get more iron/vitamins/variety/vegetables/whatever into their diets.

• Like 3

Supper tonight was leftover lunch taken home from a Turkish restaurant. And I made Bisquick shortcakes and whipped cream for the blueberries, blackberries and strawberries I'd recently bought. It was delicious.  I put some brown sugar in the shortcake batter...a tasty addition. These shortcakes are a piece of nostalgia as my mom made them to serve with fresh peaches and whipped cream back in the day.

• Like 3

I made Apple Fritter french toast for brunch the other day. 

My local Wegmans makes this apple fritter bread.  I sliced it in thick slices and soaked it in the egg/milk mixture really well.  I also added some rum to the egg/milk mixture to make it slightly boozy.  And then made the toast in melted butter.  I didn't really need any syrup at all, just a little drizzle over it the cooked french toast.  The apples throughout the bread and a little sifted powdered sugar gave it just the right amount of sweetness without being too sweet.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
On 9/21/2023 at 1:06 PM, DearEvette said:

I made Apple Fritter french toast for brunch the other day. 

My local Wegmans makes this apple fritter bread.  I sliced it in thick slices and soaked it in the egg/milk mixture really well.  I also added some rum to the egg/milk mixture to make it slightly boozy.  And then made the toast in melted butter.  I didn't really need any syrup at all, just a little drizzle over it the cooked french toast.  The apples throughout the bread and a little sifted powdered sugar gave it just the right amount of sweetness without being too sweet.

Wow, I usually lean savoury for brunch, but this sounds delicious!

• Like 2
On 9/23/2023 at 1:57 PM, chessiegal said:

BLTs to use up the last of our CSA tomatoes while Ophelia is raging outdoors.

I hope Ophelia was nothing more than an annoyance to you.

I have plenty of tomatoes still (they usually produce through October), but had just one slice of bread (sourdough) and two pieces of bacon, so I'm sitting here eating what may be my last BLT for a while.  That's okay -- I eat way too many of them each tomato season!

I have no idea yet what dinner will be.  Maybe some sort of parmesan-breaded and baked chicken breasts with tomatoes and basil added after it comes out of the oven.  Summer squash in some form will be the side, as I have lots of it, and the salad will be the last of a Napa cabbage, peanuts, and herb slaw with jalapeño vinaigrette I made Friday.

• Like 2
On 9/26/2023 at 9:12 PM, chessiegal said:

Blue Apron creamy tomato soup with baked baguettes with herbal butter and gouda cheese. Perfect for a cool, drizzly evening.

Quoting myself because I saw on Ina's FB page that it was cool and rainy on Monday - what better day to make tomato soup. Great minds think alike - lol.

• Like 1