Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

On 2/25/2023 at 9:28 PM, Bastet said:

I have three (two in the house and one in the bonus room attached to the [detached] garage).  It's been so gloomy I've had to have lights on during the day for two days now, which drives me nuts, but having a fire going in the evening turns a stormy night into a good thing -- especially with a warm drink after I'm done with dinner and dishes.

I've decided to indeed make salmon florentine tonight.  I make it with a lot of spinach and mushroom, so it's a main and side in one.  The salad will be cucumber of some sort -- maybe cucumber, radish, and dill.

Can I have a big bowl. It sounds delicious!

I ordered two pizzas: one Margherita for me & one veggie for "the husband" 😁.

I haven't made borscht in a while but the recipe I use is simple. It's from Joanne Weir. She says to roast the beets to get rid of the earthy flavor. The soup is delicious, warm or cold.

On 2/27/2023 at 5:29 PM, chessiegal said:

Quiche from Blue Apron. The filling had soppressata (new to us), garlic, pickled Goathorn peppers, roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, creme fraiche, and fontina cheese. It was quite tasty.

That sounds like a great combination of ingredients.  (I tend to just munch on soppressata, or have it on a salad, rather than in a hot dish, but I once had it in a clam dish that was quite good.)

Tonight I'm doing another main and vegetables in one dish, making spicy squid stir fry (Ojingeo Bokkeum) with scallion whites, red and yellow peppers, zucchini, broccolini, and topped with scallion greens.  The sauce has soy sauce, gochujang, gochugaru, sugar, garlic, and ginger.

The salad will be mixed greens with a dressing made with similar ingredients to the sauce, but with some rice vinegar and fish sauce added and not as spicy (it's what you get on the typical side salad at a Korean BBQ place).

• Like 1

Quick and tasty weeknight meal:  Brown sugar and soy glazed grilled salmon, caramelized onion and garlicky noodles, and green beans almondine.  Took no time to make which was a plus since I hate cooking weeknights.  Also used a fuck ton of garlic in each dish.  The noodles called for six cloves simmered in a butter and olive oil combo but also fried garlic on top as a finisher.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1

Tried out a new marinade (for me) on a grilled pork tenderloin.  It was good!

3T Honey - 3T Soy Sauce - 3T Worcestershire

2T Brown sugar - 2 Cloves minced garlic

2t ketchup

1/2t Ground ginger - 1/2t Onion powder

1/4t Ground cinnamon

1/8t Cayenne

• Like 3

Lamb chops, but a little different than my usual, which is just broiled with garlic and rosemary.  Since my rosemary plant died, I instead seasoned them with thyme and garlic, and made a mint sauce (since I couldn't kill the mint plant if I tried).  The side was roasted cauliflower with paprika and turmeric, and, continuing the mint theme, the salad was Fattoush (minus the tomatoes, since they are not remotely in season here and I can't abide the flavorless grocery store options).

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I got in a restaurant. It was salmon in tomato spicy sauce with veggies. It was like a stew? My first time having it. 

I realized I was being quite lazy by expecting you to answer my question so I googled it, and apparently there are quite a number of varieties out there! And they all look delicious! I'm going to explore making it for myself once I choose which one to try first...😺  Thank you though!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

I realized I was being quite lazy by expecting you to answer my question so I googled it, and apparently there are quite a number of varieties out there! And they all look delicious! I'm going to explore making it for myself once I choose which one to try first...😺  Thank you though!

https://www.kosher.com/recipe/moroccan-salmon-9914

I had mine in a kosher restaurant. It had chickpeas too. Looks something like that! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

https://www.kosher.com/recipe/moroccan-salmon-9914

I had mine in a kosher restaurant. It had chickpeas too. Looks something like that! 

Minus the potatoes (and chickpeas), that sounds good.  I don't tend to get very creative with salmon, generally just searing it and making some sort of sauce, so, like isalicat, I'll have to poke around for recipes using those Moroccan flavors and come up with something to try.

Tonight will be pan-seared (with butter, garlic, and white wine) chicken thighs with Castelvetrano olives and toasted pine nuts.  Lightly braised broccolini with garlic and pepper flakes as the side, and the salad will be endive and raddichio with apples and pecorino dressed with a white wine vinaigrette.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I tried the new Martha Stewart meal kits but didn’t like as much as Hello Fresh. Hello Fresh has more complex flavorings. 

Shop rite was selling her frozen dinners/cakes. One serving dinner was like $7 or more. I don’t remember.

Blue Apron black bean soup. They sent the ingredients for cheese quesadillas to serve as a side. I made garlic herb toasted baguette instead. It was good - just enough kick to make it interesting.

I'm going to get shrimp tomorrow and use it to make shrimp quesadillas for dinner soon.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I'm going to get shrimp tomorrow and use it to make shrimp quesadillas for dinner soon.

I bet you can get great shrimp (like the shrimp we all could get 5 or more years ago) as close as you are to the coast. Raw shrimp today tastes bad once cooked, no matter where I buy it. It all tastes like boiled salty water. The only shrimp I can buy that tastes like shrimp used to is the frozen cooked shrimp at Wegmans. They must be doing *something* to it between the shrimp nets and the grocery stores.

Light supper last night .  I made a Spinach, Bacon, Cheese Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust  and it was accompanied by a Spring mixed greens, Gorgonzola and pear salad with pralines sprinkled on top dressed with a light champagne vinaigrette.

• Like 1

I haven't even thought about dinner yet, but I just made a smashed avocado and bacon sandwich for lunch and that is hitting the spot right now.  It's a childhood favorite I get a craving for every once in a while.

I generally don't have bread on hand, as when I make sandwiches I make them as wraps using whole wheat lavash.  Thankfully, my mom was already scheduled to come pick something up around noon, so I had her bring me a nice big slice of sourdough so I'd be good to go once I got hungry enough to satisfy my craving.  (I do not like to eat until I've been up for a few hours.)

• Like 1

Homemade pizza night again, as my food-sharing neighbor shared her latest attempt at whole wheat dough (her first was great, but she made some tweaks and I do indeed like the texture of this one a little better):  I lightly brushed the crust with olive oil, but the main sauce was a combo sauce/cheese of ricotta, mozzarella, pesto, minced garlic, and lemon zest whisked together.  Toppings were grilled chicken, asparagus, zucchini, leeks, and some fresh-picked peas.  Once out of the oven, I topped it with watercress, basil, Pecorino, and roasted pistachios.

I don't usually do a side dish with pizza (when I make one; when I order in, I get an appetizer), just a side salad, but since I'd had a big salad for lunch, I didn't even do that tonight, just the pizza.  Hey, it has lots of vegetables on it.

Hmmm...no homemade pizza tonight (I've tried, but the dough just doesn't like my efforts) so I bought frozen pizza at the supermarket 🥴.  But, at least I made a great salad with one of Ina's dressings--yum!  I shudda ordered delivery pizza. We live & learn.

I grilled a ribeye steak this past weekend, which normally gives me leftovers for a second dinner, but it had been so long since I last had one (I'm not at all a huge beef fan, so it's when I get a craving), I went to town and only left enough for lunch.  So today I used it on a mixed greens salad with cucumber, scallions, and avocado with cotija cheese and cilantro pepita dressing.

Tonight will be seared scallops topped with a sauce of white wine, garlic, shallot, and saffron.  Roasted asparagus as the side and spinach and pomegranate as the salad.

• Like 1

The Blue Apron dinner I made last night was spicy shrimp over pearl couscous with zucchini, tomatoes, and onions. The final step was to crumble feta cheese over the dish. The addition of the feta made the dish go from good to very good. I would have never thought the addition of the feta would have made that much of a difference, but it did.

4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I would have never thought the addition of the feta would have made that much of a difference, but it did.

I love shrimp and feta together.  Shrimp saganaki is really good, and I'm not normally excited by tomato-based sauces.

Ina Garten has a recipe for a very simple shrimp, orzo, and feta salad that is great for taking to picnics/potlucks. 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I love shrimp and feta together.  Shrimp saganaki is really good, and I'm not normally excited by tomato-based sauces.

Ina Garten has a recipe for a very simple shrimp, orzo, and feta salad that is great for taking to picnics/potlucks. 

I've made that salad several times for potlucks. Everyone always loves it. One time someone said - oh, this is Ina's salad.

• LOL 1

It's that time of year where the time change (thank all that is good for DST) means, as I gradually adjust this week, I wind up eating dinner quite late.  I went back to the chicken, spinach, and mushroom well yet again tonight; it's just so easy (ingredients I virtually always have) and tasty.  The seasonings were garlic and thyme, and the sauce was equal parts chicken stock and half & half, with some balsamic vinegar.

Even though it's a main and side in one, I have a ton of asparagus and was craving it, so I steamed some over garlic cloves and rosemary sprigs, then seasoned with lemon pepper.  The salad was arugula with toasted pine nuts, shaved parm, and lemon vinaigrette.

• Like 2

I had asparagus icecream at a hotel restaurant at a work dinner last week. And yes it tasted as awful as it sounds.

We all got curious so I ordered it. I had one taste and then every one tried too. It was gone at the end.

What were they thinking?

• LOL 3
9 hours ago, supposebly said:

I had asparagus icecream at a hotel restaurant at a work dinner last week. And yes it tasted as awful as it sounds.

We all got curious so I ordered it. I had one taste and then every one tried too. It was gone at the end.

What were they thinking?

Just read that Walmart, the bastion of culinary delights, will be offering Hidden Valley Ranch ice cream.

hidden-valley-ranch-ice-cream-van-leeuwen-review

• LOL 1

Yesterday was Taco Tuesday and my kids came home for Spring Break and had friends over. So I set up a taco bar so everyone could build their own.  Both crunchy and soft tacos were available.  For the non-meat eaters there were beans & cilantro lime rice.  For the carnivores there was carne asada and grilled chicken.  Wegmans has a pretty nice Queso, and I always include the Trader Joe's Jalapeno sauce in addition to the sliced real thing because it is quite popular. The guacamole was fresh made by me,  and they had a few salsas to choose from including a nice peach salsa.  And I made a chipotle drizzle.

And since it was Pi day, I made little caramel apple hand pies. 

• Like 7

I have no earthly idea yet what I want to make for tonight's dinner.  Tomorrow night will be tri-tip, as I've got that marinating, but I'm not sure about tonight.  Last night was pork, so probably chicken or shrimp.  Or salmon.  Nothing is striking my fancy yet.  Maybe after I watch Top Chef, I'll be inspired.

On 3/16/2023 at 11:25 AM, oliviabenson said:

Going to buy corned beef today! So delicious and salty and greasy! 

and pork chops!

Not a fan of corned beef, and therefore whilst I'm going to a Lenten supper tonight featuring corned beef and cabbage (our Bishop has issued a special dispensation allowing meat eating for the Feast of St. Patrick, despite it being a Friday in Lent), I am just going to nibble at a carrot or something and eat when I get home.

I did have the most amazing (huge) pork chop, cooked in a red wine sauce and accompanied by very tender green beans, at a restaurant on Tuesday night and was able to bring half home so that is dinner tomorrow night! YAY!

• Like 1

I made air fryer cod topped with everything bagel seasoning and steamed vegetables tonight.  Oh, and a side of goat cheese and mushroom lasagna (it's a large single portion that's prepped/ready-to-heat from the grocery store.  Perfect as a side dish for two adults and a child).