Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I use my countertop oven to reheat and crisp up leftover pizza slices--sometimes directly on the rack, other times (especially if the slices are "saucy") on a foil lined tray. That little Black & Decker oven must be well over 25 years old.

Annual Cheat day at the Minnesota State Fair, sooo(takes deep breath): Tot Dog (4oz dog dipped in Corn Dog batter, then rolled in minced tots and onions and deep fried), Cheese Curds, Sausage Pizza slice, Scotch Egg, Blueberry hand pie w/ Vanilla Ice Cream and Cream Puff. Hmm looking back, I actually showed some restraint.

• Fire 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 5
On 8/26/2022 at 5:40 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Annual Cheat day at the Minnesota State Fair, sooo(takes deep breath): Tot Dog (4oz dog dipped in Corn Dog batter, then rolled in minced tots and onions and deep fried), Cheese Curds, Sausage Pizza slice, Scotch Egg, Blueberry hand pie w/ Vanilla Ice Cream and Cream Puff. Hmm looking back, I actually showed some restraint.

Wow! Hope no Pepto-Bismol chaser was needed!

• LOL 1

Just went food shopping today.  I found a recipe that I really like and bought all the ingredients.. not much.  Sweet potato and black bean tortillas with (romaine) slaw.  I will make it and let you know how it comes out (it's from Katherine Ashmore)

19 hours ago, Boston said:

Just went food shopping today.  I found a recipe that I really like and bought all the ingredients.. not much.  Sweet potato and black bean tortillas with (romaine) slaw.  I will make it and let you know how it comes out (it's from Katherine Ashmore)

This sounds delicious! No meat? I would probably add some shredded pork shoulder...

• Applause 1
14 minutes ago, isalicat said:

This sounds delicious! No meat? I would probably add some shredded pork shoulder...

I would too.  I'm trying to cut down on meat (I LOVE meat).  Just bought 2 steaks. LOL

1 minute ago, Boston said:

I'm trying to cut down on meat (I LOVE meat). 

Why? Meat is good food. It is why homo sapiens have bigger brains, and thus more innate "computing power". It is also increasingly expensive so I buy what is on sale - this last week I got some really great untrimmed choice tri tip at $3.98 a pound. As I live on my own, the resulting roast will last me through the week for many varied meals. Tonight is a big slice with spicy salsa and a corn tortilla on the side.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Why? Meat is good food. It is why homo sapiens have bigger brains, and thus more innate "computing power". It is also increasingly expensive so I buy what is on sale - this last week I got some really great untrimmed choice tri tip at $3.98 a pound. As I live on my own, the resulting roast will last me through the week for many varied meals. Tonight is a big slice with spicy salsa and a corn tortilla on the side.

I live on my own now.  I had a heart attack 12 years ago.  I moderate my red meat.  Doesn't mean i don't eat it.  BTW.. i'm fine now. (I didn't go crazy vegan/plant-based or anything like that).  I love my CHEESE.  lol

Tonight was one of those crap, I need to go shopping tomorrow, but first need to throw something together, especially combining all the stuff that's about to spoil, tonight meals that came out well.  I'd somehow managed to be down to only a little bit of chicken and shrimp (two things I normally have a good supply of in the freezer) and another small bit of andouille sausage so made a "Cajun Cream" sauce with paprika, cayenne, garlic, and oregano, to go over the three meats and zucchini and asparagus with the same flavors and some whole wheat penne pasta.

8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Tonight was one of those crap, I need to go shopping tomorrow, but first need to throw something together, especially combining all the stuff that's about to spoil, tonight meals that came out well.  I'd somehow managed to be down to only a little bit of chicken and shrimp (two things I normally have a good supply of in the freezer) and another small bit of andouille sausage so made a "Cajun Cream" sauce with paprika, cayenne, garlic, and oregano, to go over the three meats and zucchini and asparagus with the same flavors and some whole wheat penne pasta.

The results of your "crap I need to go shopping" sound much more cohesive and tasty than mine ever are.

Considering I spent all yesterday evening throwing up and part of this morning too. Sipped ginger tea all day and things seem to have settled down. I am just going to try a skinless chicken tender boiled in some chicken bone broth and hopefully I can keep some of that down. Bland is the word for tonight and probably tomorrow too.

I absolutely hate being sick!!

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Hugs 4
  • Sad 1

I decided that I was going to eat whatever I wanted this long weekend, and to heck with the healthy diet just for three days. I made spaghetti last night and am getting ready to cook up some more noodles to use up some of the leftover meat sauce tonight.  I have a pan of lemon bars cooling on the counter for dessert.  Tomorrow I plan to put a roast in the slow cooker for a nice onion-y pot roast for lunch (and probably dinner). 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Still working on keeping my food down, today was pretty good. Mild foods all day.

Tomorrow  I plan to fix some Sfoglinii Sriracha Fusilli with tomato sauce and the other half of the chicken tender I boiled the other night. Getting on the spicer side, hope  I don't pay for it...may get some zucchini to grate into it if I go out tomorrow.

Edited by Gramto6

BLA*T on wheat toast. *Avocado

When I picked up my CSA box last week, a friend of mine was there. We were talking about what we were doing with the tomatoes. She said they were eating a lot of BLTs. It's been a while since we've had them. We like to add avocado. Tasty and easy.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1

I remember the very first time I had to travel to California for business (I am from New York).  About 20-ish years ago.  It was the first time I had been to Caifornia as an adult and my first time travelling for a job.  I ordered a BLT from room service my first night there (I felt fancy with my company credit card) and had not read the description of it on the menu, so I was surprised when it came with avocado on it.  I was starving and just bit into it and the avocado was a really nice surprise.  I have put avocados on my BLTs ever since.

For my own dinner tonight I had Shrimp Panang over coconut rice.

• Love 1

The way I use avocado in a BLT is usually to mash avocado with a bit of mayo and use that rather than plain mayo as my spread rather than doing a regular BLT and adding avocado slices.  It's kind of a cross between two sandwiches I grew up eating -- BLTs, and smashed avocado and bacon.

• Love 1

Well, I was really disappointed in the Sriracha Pasta ! I even added more Sriracha to the red sauce. Might as well been any red colored pasta. Sad because I was looking forward to something spicer.

Oh well, next time just butter and a bit of cheese will be the meal. I do love pasta and like trying new ones. Some are better than others...

I had a hankering for egg salad and got some from the grocery store deli last week. Disappointing - bland. I made some today - chopped eggs, diced celery, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, and salt. So good! Had it for lunch with what is left of my heirloom tomatoes.

• Love 2

For some reason today I wanted a really good bacon cheeseburger with pickles, onions, mayo, tomatoes & ketchup with a side of fries.  there is this pub near us that does great burgers and their fries are divine, something to do with duck fat and truffle oil.  But whatever.. hit the spot!

• Love 3

I've been intermittently thinking of the "Cajun Cream" pasta sauce I made a couple of weeks ago recently, and then my neighbor brought me some homemade whole wheat fettucine, so clearly that is a sign from the pasta gods I need to make that again tonight.  I'll add some andouille sausage (turkey this time), shrimp, and asparagus.  The salad will be arugula with shaved parm and lemon vinaigrette.  (No side dish; I always have vegetables and meat in my pasta, so consider it an all-in-one.)

Tomorrow my marinating tri-tip will be ready to grill, so I'll have to decide salad and side dish.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

My local market had fresh, locally wild caught halibut fillets on sale for an incredibly exorbitant price but I have not had fresh fish in a while, so I treated myself to a 1/3 lb. fillet. It smelled so fresh!! So I broiled it with lemon juice, butter, garlic, black pepper and a tiny bit of salt. Squeezed a bit more fresh lemon juice on to finish and it was extraordinary. What a treat!

Tonight was a pork cutlet coated in garlic powder, pepper, oregano, basil and rosemary mixed spice, and bread crumbs fried in butter and olive oil and finished with a megasqueeze of fresh lemon juice. Easy, delicious...

One more night of active cooking (tomorrow), and then I will start getting sick of cooking again and take the rest of the week off to eat leftovers and scavenge...😸

• Like 1
  • Love 1

We went out to lunch with friends today. I had a Caesar salad and flatbread pizza with shrimp, jumbo lump crab meat, and gruyere cheese. The salad was so large, by the time I got to the pizza I could only eat 1/4 of it. It was really good, the crab meat was sweet. For dinner tonight we had the rest of the pizza and left-over frittata from last night. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I've become a fan of The Fresh Market's Market Meal Kits. Last night we had shrimp scampi with wild rice medley, and squash. All the food is prepped, just sauté the squash and shrimp, microwave the rice, and add the scampi sauce.

Tonight, I'm making caper salmon with asparagus and couscous.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I had grilled vegetable and goat cheese quesadillas for lunch and had takeout Chinese food (vegetable chow mein, spring rolls, egg plant and tofu stew, Cantonese style beef tenderloin, stir fried chicken and bok choy, stir fried fish and broccoli, sweet and sour pork.  All shared between the three of us plus my parents)!  Birthday cake, gelato and Timbits (the Timbits are a tradition - nothing else at the hospital my gestational surrogate delivered remotely resembled “celebration” food on the day he was born!). 

• Love 1

Breakfast:  Apples and yogurt with low carb toast

Lunch:  Steamed greens, toasted soda bread and a salmon burger patty.

Dinner:  Keeping it light so I'm heating up some "Mexican Chicken Soup" I got from the grocery store.  Side of veggies and some pita to make it more substantial.

• Like 1

The Fresh Market was offering 6 different Thanksgiving meals that could be reserved and picked up today or tomorrow during a 2-hour window of your choosing. I thought I was being such a smarty pants reserving a turkey breast, mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, and cranberry relish dinner. I chose to pick it up today between 11-1. I got there about 11:20 to find out at least 60 other people had done the same. They were not set up logistically to handle that many people (that they knew were coming since you had to choose your pick-up time). I waited in line for over an hour, then another 20 minutes to check out. Never again.

On the bright side, I got one of their shrimp scampi meal kits for dinner tonight.  They're good and easy to prepare.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 1

Kale, red onion, chicken, and pistachio pizza (with olive oil as the sauce and mozzarella as the cheese, on a whole wheat crust).  I recently heard a friend describe her frequent use of nuts as a pizza topping, and was intrigued (I use pesto as a pizza sauce a lot, but had never used nuts as a topping), so I gave this combination a whirl tonight based on what I had on hand.  Yum!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Kale, red onion, chicken, and pistachio pizza (with olive oil as the sauce and mozzarella as the cheese, on a whole wheat crust).  I recently heard a friend describe her frequent use of nuts as a pizza topping, and was intrigued (I use pesto as a pizza sauce a lot, but had never used nuts as a topping), so I gave this combination a whirl tonight based on what I had on hand.  Yum!

We can't be friends. 🤣

Brunch:  spinach salad with scrambled eggs, salsa fresco, sweet potatoes and guacamole (well, mashed avocado…it doesn’t have your standard guac seasoning) from a healthy fast casual place, along with toast.  Dinner?  Brisket and latkes (store bought) to celebrate the first night of Chanukah!  Made cooked apple chunks as an alternative to applesauce.  Salad for the vegetables.  

• Like 1

We went to a neighbor's Open House tonight. She put out quite a spread - spiral cut ham, mac n' cheese, potato salad, tossed green salad, cheese platter, spreads and crackers, and lots of cookies. Actually, she made mac 'n cheese twice. She found a slow cooker recipe that turned out terrible, so made a traditional finish in the oven mac 'n cheese.

Their 2 oldest are teenagers, so there were a lot of their friends there. One woman who came was Goth. I had no idea that was still a thing.

• Like 1

I cannot for the life of me decide what to make tonight, and nearly time to eat.  The Christmas Eve and Christmas meals were great, and now I just need something simple, but nothing is sounding good to me.  I don't want leftovers tonight (tomorrow, great), but I can't decide what I do want. 

Christmas Eve's main course was beef tenderloin (it's always either that or prime rib) and I'm not a huge beef fan, but I like it occasionally, especially with freshly grated horseradish.  The side was spinach and gruyere gratin and the salad was a Brussels sprouts and cranberry concoction.  Christmas was ham (not at all my favorite, but I do like it once a year) with a Brussels sprouts side with walnuts, shallots, and parm, a basic mixed greens salad with balsamic vinaigrette, and wheat brown & serve rolls.  (I'm not a big bread person, but for some reason I must have those rolls at Thanksgiving, and sometimes at Christmas, too.)

Okay, while typing this, I decided to order Thai food -- now I just need to narrow that down.  I don't know why I'm so indecisive tonight!

• Wink 1

We did takeout brunch today!  We ordered from an all week brunch place that only delivers during the week (they're super-busy on weekends) with me ordering eggs Florentine and my husband, a eggs Lorraine (think quiche Lorraine in a benedict form).  We got scrambled eggs and toast for our son, though he didn't finish (a kids' breakfast would still be too big for a four year old since it included a side of homefries.  Just toast and eggs would do for him).  Dinner tonight will be vegetable soup since we've eaten so much already!  And we're not done.  There's still take out Indian food on New Year's Eve.  Then a family dinner mid-January, followed by Lunar New Year and the Superbowl.  Basically non-stop eating until February.  

• Like 2

Delicious waffle benny with avocado (waffle avo toast?) from a healthier options brunch place this morning (errr…afternoon since the delivery was half an hour late) and then celebrated New Year’s Eve with our annual takeout Indian food dinner.  Naan, butter chicken, navratan korma, samosas…yummy!  Made a kefir cake sweetened only with blackberries and an apple sauce/apple butter mix, too. 

• Like 2

Yesterday, I had defrosted a boneless chicken breast but hadn't decided what to make with it, when a Jeopardy! clue that night was about chicken Kiev -- there we go.  I love retro dishes like that and chicken cordon bleu, but Kiev is so easy to make on the spur of the moment as it involves ingredients I always have.

Tonight I'll be broiling lamb chops (with rosemary and garlic) and braising asparagus with snow peas and spring onions.  Yep, I'm pretending it's spring already, but here in Los Angeles - where it's not that cold -  we can get these things earlier.  Salad still to be determined. 

• Like 2

I'm going for as easy as it gets (other than ordering in) tonight -- just popped a whole chicken, stuffed with garlic, lemon, and rosemary, in the oven, will put asparagus with rosemary and garlic in to roast after the chicken comes out to rest, and the salad will be mixed greens out of a bag, so all I add is avocado and dressing (homemade balsamic vinaigrette, but made last week, so no work required tonight).

• Like 1