Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Holy crap, y'all - in June, dungeness crab meat was around $50/pound, and today it's $79/pound!  It's for a birthday dinner, but yikes.

Wow! I know why Maryland blue crab is expensive - they had a low harvest. Is it the same thing with dungeness?

1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

I made cabbage and noodles (haluski) with kielbasa. It was easy and tasty!

Ah.  My kids love Haluski and kielbasa.

I made creamy Tuscan chicken with sundried tomatoes and served it over spinach linguine.

• Love 2

I made classic beef stew Sunday because my favorite butcher had Wagyu stew meat on sale at $5.98 per lb. and 2 lbs. plus carrots, onions, garlic, turnip, mushrooms and red wine/bay leaf/thyme/salt and pepper makes enough for me for 5 meals or more (I'm on my third go round tonight). Its a super busy week for me with two evening rehearsals so its great to have something yummy already made that I can just heat up.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, isalicat said:

I made classic beef stew Sunday because my favorite butcher had Wagyu stew meat on sale at $5.98 per lb. and 2 lbs. plus carrots, onions, garlic, turnip, mushrooms and red wine/bay leaf/thyme/salt and pepper makes enough for me for 5 meals or more (I'm on my third go round tonight). Its a super busy week for me with two evening rehearsals so its great to have something yummy already made that I can just heat up.

Oh, that sounds delicious. It’s cold here, and I am really craving s hot bowl of soup or stew and some crusty bread.

On 10/31/2021 at 7:57 PM, DearEvette said:

Ah.  My kids love Haluski and kielbasa.

I made creamy Tuscan chicken with sundried tomatoes and served it over spinach linguine.

I made pork and sauerkraut this weekend.. forgot how many days it takes to pick the caraway seeds out of my teeth.. but SO GOOD

On 11/3/2021 at 2:28 PM, MargeGunderson said:

Oh, that sounds delicious. It’s cold here, and I am really craving s hot bowl of soup or stew and some crusty bread.

I think i posted this recipe before.  I have made it for over 20 yrs.  LAZY MAN'S BEEF STEW.  from the Yankee magazine.  Simple, yet delicious.  Cooks all day, the house smells great!  I add mushrooms.

I've started to eat oatmeal again. I have horrible stomach issues, and used to do well with oatmeal, banana, flax oil, honey, all mixed together. Cinnamon, too. I've been eating congee more this year, after reading SIBO Made Simple. Both are apparently like time-release hydration, and easy on the stomach. 

I made an indulgent snack for football watching of bacon-wrapped scallops, and now have to contemplate dinner.  Larb was included in a Jeopardy! clue a couple of nights ago and I've been craving it ever since, so I thought about making that but now think I may just have a lazy Sunday night and order in.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Every week Blue Apron offers a Premium meal with an added upcharge. Last week it was seared scallops with pancetta spinach risotto with a side of roasted Brussel sprouts and red grapes. I got it because we love scallops and their protein is always good. The addition of the grapes to the sprouts really was a tasty combination.

On 11/19/2021 at 2:57 AM, Bastet said:

Pasta night here, too - lemon garlic scallops and asparagus with whole wheat linguine.  The salad was arugula with shaved parm and lemon vinaigrette.    

That sounds so good; I may do this, but with shrimp.. I love asparagus.  The only NO for me will be arugua - just can't with that and I've tried many times. 

On 11/10/2021 at 10:03 AM, topazann said:

My dinner for tonight is already in the crock pot, and my house smells soooooo good right now! I'm trying out a Beef Burgundy with baby portobellos recipe. It has to cook in the crock pot for about 7 hours, and I spent an hour cutting up and browning the meat, and making the Burgundy sauce. I hope it tastes as good as it smells!

I am so making this next time i go grocery shopping.  Sounds wonderful.

Turkey take out from a local restaurant. Butternut squash bisque, Caesar salad, turkey, stuffing, cranberry relish, mashed potatoes, candied yams, green beans almondine, dinner roll, and pumpkin spice cheesecake. Picked up a bottle of Prosecco to wash it down.

Since it's just the 2 of us, we started going out for Thanksgiving years ago. I got take out last year from a different place. I don't think the county was allowing indoor dining last year.

• Love 4

One of our friends has a outdoor pizza oven (my husband and I make fun of it relentlessly because we are secretly stupidly jealous of their whole outdoor setup).  They had a pizza making party with us an two other couples.  They provided the dough and oven, we all brought over our own personal fixin's.  We did Margherita pizzas with fresh basil, fresh packed mozz cheese, crushed tomatoes.  One couple did wild mushroom drizzled with truffle oil, one couple did a classic pepperoni, our hosts did a white pizza with roasted garlic .  Everything was so very tasty.

• Love 5

Husband's birthday dinner this weekend:

To Start:  "The Trio" (inspired by our favorite restaurant, which is currently closed due to staffing issues) ... Roasted Rosemary Almonds ~ Olive Tapanade ~ Whipped Ricotta with Herbs and Honey ~ Fresh Homemade Bread

Salad:  Fennel and Orange Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette

Main:  Lasagna with Meat Sauce and Spinach

Dessert:  Chocolate Guinness Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

I cooked all day, and everything turned out wonderfully, if I may say so myself :)  We are still enjoying the leftovers.

• Love 4

I made a couple of things I saw on TV recently.  First, a simple grilled cheddar and mango chutney sandwich I saw Ina Garten make.  It was good.

And then some "super food" tacos I saw on Julia at Home (America's Test Kitchen) -- charred salmon (seasoned with chili powder) with a collard green slaw (which also has jicama, radish, red onion, and cilantro, dressed simply with lime juice and zest) and an avocado and cilantro crema.  Obviously not at all traditional, but I like a nearly infinite variety of tacos.  I think these would be a pass for many people (Julia even said her daughter doesn't like them and her husband is just okay with them, so she usually eats them with a friend of hers who also loves them), but I liked them.  (I was intrigued because I love raw collard greens.) 

Tonight I'm going to grill chicken thighs that are marinating in olive oil, pickled cherry peppers (and some of the brine), rosemary, and garlic, then drizzle with a salsa verde that has more of those peppers.  Maybe a kale caesar for the salad, and I haven't decided on the side dish yet.

• Love 1

Tonight's dinner is one of those Crap, I've got things very close to going bad, what can I do with them? combinations -- with turkey thigh meat, kale, scallions, turkey fat, and alfredo sauce all needing to be used tonight, I dumped the first three into a skillet with the turkey fat and some garlic and red pepper flakes, added the sauce, and then some whole wheat fettucine and was good to go.  It's obviously not setting the culinary world on fire, but it's tasty.

• Love 1

Last night I did Gyro rice bowls.

Basmati rice topped with sauteed red peppers and red onions, thin slices of grilled lamb (that had been marinated in olive oil, cumin, mint, oregano, paprika, salt, pepper garlic, lime), diced cucumbers, diced cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, kalamata olives, a little hot sauce and a dollop of Tzatizki.  On the side was a naan bread lightly brushed with oilve oil and garlic and grilled until lightly toasted.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 1

We're visiting my stepdaughter and family in New Orleans. We usually take them out to eat when we visit, but none of us are ready to eat in a restaurant, especially with a 3-year-old who isn't vaccinated. We got take-out on Sunday and Monday night. Last night my stepdaughter made lasagna and a green salad. Tonight, she made what we called Christmas dinner - a honey baked ham, homemade cranberry relish, mashed potatoes, dressing, green beans, and homemade yeast rolls (made by the 15-year-old daughter, who turns out to be the baker in the family). Chocolate chip cookies for dessert. It was delicious and a delightful surprise. We're heading home tomorrow.

• Love 4

Don't know what such a dish would be called in English, but basically, you put store-bought marinated chicken-tights or any other similar marinated chicken product in to a glass bowl meant for stewing. You pour various vegetables, but main ones should be carrots and potatoes on top of it (you can slice and dice them, if you want), salt and pepper the whole thing, pour in a dash of either soy sauce or some sweeter sauce and on top sprinkle grated cheese so it would melt. Shove it in to the oven for about 3 hrs, and a nice meal for dinner.

I made ATK's Moroccan Lentil and Chickpea Soup for lunch today. I used red lentils instead of brown lentils, and skipped the Swiss chard at the end. It's a favorite at our house. I might try some baby spinach at the end sometime. Julia and Bridgette say they love the chard. Me not so much. The soup is fine without the greens.

Edited by chessiegal

Supper's in the oven (spinach & chicken sausage frittata) but the big distraction are the just-made spicy candied nuts. I made them for part of the appetizers we'll have on Tuesday. I had to quickly put them in a sealed container--they are soooo good 😁

• Love 3

I just got home from a long day at work, followed by a grueling trip to Wal-Mart.  My feet hurt and I'm tired all over.  So, dinner is going to be hot dogs with chili with a side of chips and dip, ginger ale, and a bakery 'cream horn' for dessert.  All consumed while I lounge on the sofa and watch TV. 

• Love 3

I bought sour cream for the first time in a long time for a recipe and wound up making one of my late husband's favorite dinners: pork chops in white wine, sour cream and mustard sauce. I forgot how good this is (and easy! - just cook the pork chops (already coated in garlic powder and black pepper) in olive oil/butter until 2/3 done, take them out of the pan, pour in some white wine and reduce that, add generous portion of sour cream, a dollop of brown mustard, stir well, put the pork chops back in to finish and slop all of it out onto plates. Top with some parsley if you want it to look pretty :)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Leftovers! We had a small dinner party last night so we had leftover baked ham, Jansson's Temptation (Swedish potato dish), cranberry relish, tossed salad, & brownies with peppermint ice cream. Today I got a call from one of our guests--she just tested positive for covid 😖. We're both triple vaccinated, but you never know. Will do home test on Sunday. 

Edited by annzeepark914
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

@annzeepark914, I hope you all are okay! 

Today we had take out BBQ.  I got 4 Memphis ribs, macaroni and cheese, collard greens, and green beans. I only ate 2 of the ribs - they were huge! After that lunch, dinner was rolls with ham. I regret nothing!

Thanks, MG...we are, so far. Your take-out sounds delicious!!

• Love 1
On 12/22/2021 at 9:05 PM, MargeGunderson said:

@annzeepark914, I hope you all are okay! 

Today we had take out BBQ.  I got 4 Memphis ribs, macaroni and cheese, collard greens, and green beans. I only ate 2 of the ribs - they were huge! After that lunch, dinner was rolls with ham. I regret nothing!

This made me drool. TMI? Probably.  😛 But BBQ sounds so yummy right about now!

• Love 1

We returned to our annual tradition of having a nice lunch out on Christmas Eve and a dinner made entirely of appetizers. At lunch I had a cup of clam chowder followed by hanger steak, very thin fries with truffle and rosemary, and a small arugula salad. All of it was great, and I brought home half of the steak. This year’s appetizer dinner was the Barefoot Contessa’s artichoke spinach dip (it includes caramelized onions), shrimp cocktail, some vegetarian puff pastry appetizers from the Whole Foods freezer section (quite good), toasted baguette, and crudités. 

• Love 2

We can be so persnickety at times--I call us the odd couple. Last night, we decided to have soup. Mr P914 wanted navy bean but I wanted beef & vegetable soup. So, we each made our own soup. I also made parmesan toasts that were so good. Tonight will be Ina's grilled pork tenderloin...back to regular dinners😄.

• Love 1

I've been getting 4 Blue Apron meals a week. Despite being gone for 5 days recently, I didn't cancel a delivery, because I wanted the meals I had ordered. As a result, my 2 refrigerators look like a Hungryroot ad. 😄 I'll be working my way through them for the next week. Last night was scallops and creamy curry sauce with sesame and bok choy rice. I love scallops and the quality they send is always good. Tonight will be tomatillo chicken and barley bowls with roasted shishito peppers and orange salsa.

Christmas Eve dinner was prime rib (just seasoned and done on the rotisserie, served with grated horseradish), spinach gratin, and a Brussels sprouts salad with cranberries and pine nuts.

Tonight will be ham, Brussels sprouts with walnuts and shallots, macaroni salad, and some sort of mixed greens salad.

• Love 3

Past couple of days have been upset stomach days for me. Christmas day I had half a small bagel with plain cream cheese and ginger tea for breakfast. More tea and a few saltines for lunch and some cranberry juice. Dinner was chicken bone broth and the other half of the small bagel. Ginger Ale for a snack in the afternoon. Not the planned menu but it is what it is...

• Love 1
On 12/26/2021 at 1:52 AM, Gramto6 said:

Past couple of days have been upset stomach days for me. Christmas day I had half a small bagel with plain cream cheese and ginger tea for breakfast. More tea and a few saltines for lunch and some cranberry juice. Dinner was chicken bone broth and the other half of the small bagel. Ginger Ale for a snack in the afternoon. Not the planned menu but it is what it is...

Have you ever tried peppermint capsules? They help calm a stomach (my GI dr recommended them). There's also a website called Heather's Tummy something (just google Heather's Tummy and you'll find it). She sells peppermint capsules too and has a newsletter that covers a wide range of stomach topics 😊 Hope you feel better soon.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1

I just put a pan of Christmas leftovers in the oven to re-heat.  A big serving of homemade mac 'n cheese, some cornbread dressing, and cheesy squash casserole.  (I had Christmas ham for breakfast.)  Carbs...it's what's for dinner. :) 

• Love 6

I made "pain au cacao" yesterday (it's a kefir loaf that I make every weekend using this recipe with a hint of cacao powder and cacao nibs kneaded in) and had a slice (toasted) for lunch today, along with some salmon and steamed kale.  I kind of double dared myself to eat it the bread with a bit of hummus and you know what?  It isn't actually too bad!  Dinner?  Just some fusilli, tofu, cherry tomatoes, greens and cottage cheese.

13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Have you ever tried peppermint capsules? They help calm a stomach (my GI dr recommended them). There's also a website called Heather's Tummy something (just google Heather's Tummy and you'll find it). She sells peppermint capsules too and has a newsletter that covers a wide range of stomach topics 😊 Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, I'll look at it! I have recurring tummy problems. Usually ginger tea settles things down, but I'm willing to try something else.

• Love 1

I always have homemade chicken stock on hand and I have some frozen chicken & cilantro mini wontons Costco had on sale, so as it rains outside I am enjoying wonton soup with those wontons, shiitake mushrooms, bok choy, and chicken (and then chopped scallions and cilantro added to the bowl).  I let the stock simmer with ginger and garlic before I added the ingredients, and then stirred some Tamari and a little bit of sesame oil in at the end, so it's quite tasty.

I'm still pondering dinner; I have leftover spinach gratin I need to eat, and took a couple of bone-in chicken thighs out to thaw, but haven't decided what I'm going to do with them.

• Love 3