Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

I made a strata this morning with leftover potato rolls from Thanksgiving (that I froze), ham, red pepper, caramelized onions, a few random mushrooms, scallions and Gruyère. I might make an Orange Julius to go with it. 

Orange Julius! Years ago I worked on a cousin's political campaign in Anchorage. The campaign office was in a little house behind a mall in downtown and we frequently went to the Orange Julius for lunch. I haven't been to one of these places since then. How do you make an orange Julius?

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 2

Got my booster today so I decided to take it easy and not cook.  Had take out for lunch AND dinner.  Lunch was from a local healthy(ish) food place:  a tempeh salad bowl with tempeh, spinach, shredded brussels sprouts, kale, salsa fresco and guacamole.  Dinner:  decided on something more comfortesque:  shared chicken soup, fried chicken strips, mac and cheese and a cheese biscuit with my husband and the kid (husband had pasta for lunch).

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

@annzeepark914, I made the orange Julius tonight, using the recipe I linked above. It was really good, but a little sweet for my taste. The recipe calls for 1/2 c. of sugar but I used about 1/4 c., and thought just a tablespoon would be fine.

Thanks! Oranges are naturally sweet, so a tablespoon would certainly be enough 🍊😊.

I'm making seared scallops with fettucine for dinner tonight. It comes with a side of roasted vegetables on ricotta with pistachios. I think it will be too much food (but not the scallops, they are perfect for 2 servings). I also pulled some Omaha Steaks cheesecake out of the freezer for dessert.

• Love 1

News Years Eve is always grazing food/appetizers/finger foods all set out buffet style so we can just peck all night long.  There will be about 9 of us hanging out (immediate family + my two sons' girlfriends, my mother-in-law, sister and bro-in-law). Tonight's menu is:

- a sushi & sashimi platter
- baby crab cakes with remoulade

-a charcuterie & crudite platter with soppressata dolce, prosciutto, olives, various cheeses, sweet peppers, figs

-tomato/basil/parmesan/balsamic bruschetta

-carmelized mushroom tarts

-pizza dip

- dessert mini cannoli, eclair and macarons

-various sparkling libations

• Love 4

Baked meatballs, then covered them with marinara, Parmesan &  mozzarella and heated 'til the cheese melted. Served with Prosecco & Crostini. Can't find anything good on TV except Tom & Jerry cartoons (MrP914 is watching football *all* weekend--he sez, "Go Blue!") 🤨

• Love 2

Ordered brunch in today (we’ve been getting brunch delivered or picked up since the pandemic began, save for when my husband and I went to a restaurant for our anniversary):  omelette and bagels from a bagel place.  The omelettes were HUGE!!!  I don’t want to know how many eggs they used…at least mine was egg whites only (stuffed with a lot of vegetables plus lox). 

Dinner: reheated roast chicken and salad.  

On 1/3/2022 at 3:16 PM, chessiegal said:

Orange shrimp with sweet pepper and brown rice.

We won't be grilling anytime soon. The 2-4 inches of snow predicted yesterday ended up being over 10 inches.

snow.jpeg

I live in MT and see that view many times in the Winter! I tried to post one of my photos but it is too large and I don't know how to make it smaller.

On 1/3/2022 at 5:16 PM, chessiegal said:

Orange shrimp with sweet pepper and brown rice.

We won't be grilling anytime soon. The 2-4 inches of snow predicted yesterday ended up being over 10 inches.

snow.jpeg

Looks familiar! And there's more snow due Thursday night (making up for the past two years of no snow). Absolutely no grilling 😖.

Comfort food for dinner tonight - meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, and green beans.

We haven't even had conversational snow for the last 2 years, so Mondays 10+ inches of heavy wet snow was a reminder that yes, we do get measurable snow in our area. We had damage to trees, but thankfully didn't lose power.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Looks familiar! And there's more snow due Thursday night (making up for the past two years of no snow). Absolutely no grilling 😖.

I've grilled in three feet of snow on the ground - you just dig the grill out and do it! (Wear snow boots and a good parka) Once we got five feet over a three day period when I was living in the mountains and I kept grilling as I got really sick of soup heated on the woodstove after a day or so and had no power so I needed to use up all the defrosting meat from the freezer (you can keep stuff cold in the snow outside, but not frozen in California mountains unlike places in the midwest...). Naturally this presumes a propane tank powered grill....

1 hour ago, isalicat said:

I've grilled in three feet of snow on the ground - you just dig the grill out and do it! (Wear snow boots and a good parka) Once we got five feet over a three day period when I was living in the mountains and I kept grilling as I got really sick of soup heated on the woodstove after a day or so and had no power so I needed to use up all the defrosting meat from the freezer (you can keep stuff cold in the snow outside, but not frozen in California mountains unlike places in the midwest...). Naturally this presumes a propane tank powered grill....

Around here it's easier to wait for it to melt. Shoveling the driveway is enough work.

We ordered Chinese cause I'm in the midst of Nationals (US figure skating competition). Last night I tried to make dinner while watching the ice dance competition (rhythm dance), smelled something burning, & suddenly remembered the sweet potato fries in the oven. Burnt to a crisp 🥺

• Love 2

Pesto chicken and broccoli over pasta.*

*So happy to see my Blue Apron box arrive today. They are experiencing shipping delays like everyone. I went to my usual grocery store on Wednesday and thought it was April 2020. There were so many empty selves. No fruit, greens, eggs, or orange juice. Clerk said it would be 2 days before they got more stock. I stopped at a Weis store down the street, and they were fully stocked. Clerk said they got deliveries on Tuesday, but they had a lot of empty shelves on Monday. Trucks need drivers, and drivers are in short supply because of COVID. 🤬

I found a recipe on for a Pappardalle pasta  with Mushrooms and Prosciutto on Bon Appetit.  It was so yummy.  It calls frying the prosciutto -- which I have never done I've only ever eaten prosciutto cold --- until it is crisp, like a bacon.  That, imo, is what really made the flavor pop in this dish.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Jessica Seinfeld has a recipe for a salad with crispy prosciutto. Haven't tried it yet but it sounds good.  I made stew this afternoon, the perfect meal for a snowy evening. Served it on mashed potatoes. I think it's raining now--good, get rid of the snow on the roads.

On 1/15/2022 at 4:23 PM, DearEvette said:

It calls frying the prosciutto -- which I have never done I've only ever eaten prosciutto cold --- until it is crisp, like a bacon.  That, imo, is what really made the flavor pop in this dish.

I make chicken cordon bleu with prosciutto, and have seared scallops that were wrapped in prosciutto, so I've eaten it hot, but I don't think I've ever cooked it crispy like bacon in anything.  Sounds delicious.

Edited by Bastet

16 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

the perfect meal for a snowy evening.

Omaha Steaks chili over egg noodles for the same snowy evening, and it's turned to rain here also. PSA - The chili is not that good, so I won't be ordering that again.

Jessica Seinfeld says once you try crispy prosciutto, "you'll never be the same again". 🙄 So, I made her salad w/ the prosciutto and now I keep going back to nibble on the leftover prosciutto. Also made a lemon butter sauce to pour over (Wegman's brand) Mushroom & Cheese Mezzeluna. 

• Love 2

I'm making rice, peas and corn. Made the rice in the instant pot, when I was in the shower. I really appreciate the IP for things like that. 

On 1/5/2022 at 5:07 PM, chessiegal said:

Comfort food for dinner tonight - meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, and green beans.

We haven't even had conversational snow for the last 2 years, so Mondays 10+ inches of heavy wet snow was a reminder that yes, we do get measurable snow in our area. We had damage to trees, but thankfully didn't lose power.

My dad made meatloaf, when we had the first big blizzard, the weekend before last. I made pot roast, this Sunday. Cream of chicken and rice soup, before that. 

Yesterday was one of those days where I had no idea what to make but had a lot of different stuff in the fridge.

So I threw together a noodle bowl.  I took some linguini style Thai rice noodles and cooked them in a a beef broth seasoned with soy sauce and garlic powder.  The rice noodles thickened up the broth really nicely into almost a hearty stew-like consistency.  Topped it with grilled pork loin strips glazed with a hoisin/mirin/soy combo and then added some sauteed zucchini, bok-choy and shallots.  It came out pretty good.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I went out to lunch at a new place sitting right on the ocean hereabouts (expensive, but that view!! and the food is really good - this is my second time) and ordered shrimp tacos. They are open face corn/flour tortillas with grilled seasoned prawns on a bed of something white, crunchy and pretty spicy which I am guessing is chopped cabbage laced with salsa and then there was a white sauce (sort of a crema) and also cheese, long slivers of fresh red bell pepper, chopped fresh cilantro and chopped fresh tomato. I am going to try to replicate these at home - absolutely scrumptious!

On 1/27/2022 at 3:04 PM, MargeGunderson said:

@Anela, do you have any tips for making rice in the Instant Pot? I am embarrassed to admit this, but I can’t make rice to save my life. It is always sticky! I haven’t tried it in the Instant Pot but maybe I will have better luck.

Push the rice button ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist!  In all seriousness, I've had great success with this recipe, which is a copycat of the cilantro lime rice at Chipotle.  You can of course leave out the cilantro and lime if it is not to your liking.  I sometimes just use this as a guide for proportions and timing, and change up the seasoning and add-ins.

Start with:

• 2 c liquid (water, broth, or a combination)
  • 2 c long grain white rice
  • 1/2 t salt

Optional:

• a drizzle of olive oil (since I couldn't make stovetop rice if a gun were to my head, I consider it an insurance policy against stickiness)
  • 3 T lime juice
  • zest of one lime
  • 1/2 c fresh chopped cilantro

Put everything in the Instant Pot and look the lid.  Push the "Rice" button.  When the IP beeps, let it sit for 5 more minutes (natural release).  Release the remaining pressure and steam and carefully remove the lid.  Fluff with a fork and enjoy.

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Lovecat said:

Push the rice button ;)

There’s a rice button?! 😆

Thanks for the recipe! I will give that a try. I swear that every time I cook rice it comes out worse, and in a different way than before. Last time it was super sticky, even though I rinsed it until the water ran clear. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

😆

Thanks for the recipe! I will give that a try. I swear that every time I cook rice it comes out worse, and in a different way than before. Last time it was super sticky, even though I rinsed it until the water ran clear. 

We're supposed to rinse even regular rice, like Uncle Ben's? I don't have a problem cooking rice but it can be a bit gloppy at the bottom of the pot if all the water isn't gone. Next time I cook rice I'll rinse it first.

15 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Same, girl.  Same.  I have NEVER been able to make stovetop rice.  My husband had a rice cooker when we met, and it was a revelation.  We got the Instant Pot as a wedding gift, so I have *two* practically foolproof ways to make rice now!  

7 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

We're supposed to rinse even regular rice, like Uncle Ben's? I don't have a problem cooking rice but it can be a bit gloppy at the bottom of the pot if all the water isn't gone. Next time I cook rice I'll rinse it first.

The Uncle Ben's box says not to rinse it before cooking, "to retain vitamins."  TBH, I'm too damn lazy to rinse rice.  I've screwed it up 9 different ways to Sunday, so I doubt that's the root of my problems.

• Useful 1

My travels took me near Whole Foods today, so I picked up a salmon fillet, along prepared green beans and almonds, and garlic mashed potatoes with chives. Marinated the salmon with olive oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, and dill before grilling.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 2
On 2/4/2022 at 10:50 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Combine one cup uncooked rice in 2 cups water with 1 tsp salt. Cover & bring to a boil. Simmer 14 minutes. Turn off & let rice steam 5 minutes.

Oh, I'm familiar with the instructions!  It just never turns out right for me.  Everyone has their Achilles heel.