Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, PRgal said:

That's interesting.  So the sauce was mayo and Worcestershire sauce?  

It wasn’t so much a sauce as a binder for the spinach, artichokes and cheese. You mix everything together and spread it on the dough.

• Love 1
On 5/19/2022 at 4:08 PM, MargeGunderson said:

I made an artichoke and spinach dip pizza. The topping was chopped artichokes, (frozen) chopped spinach, garlic powder, a scant 1/4 c. of mayo, a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan. I was skeptical, but made it because I have a surplus of mozzarella and found the spinach and artichokes in the freezer. It was surprisingly good! I think adding some sun-dried tomatoes would be good, as would caramelized onions.

Artichoke hearts and spinach are two of my favorite pizza toppings. 

Spreading the dip on dough and making a pizza out of it sounds good.  And, yeah, I think sun-dried tomatoes would make a great addition.

I have no idea what I'm going to make for dinner tonight.  It's a dreary day here, and my mood matches the weather.  Probably shrimp tacos of some sort, since they're quick and easy.

• Love 2

Tonight is grilled beef kabobs! (The prime top sirloin beef was on sale so I thought I would treat myself and skewer chunks up with bell pepper, red onion and big mushrooms...). And a hearty Australian red wine because the beach fog has rolled in...

• Love 1

Dinner will be spicy Asian slaw, which is marinating as I type, aloo (potato) dal curry, Tillamook strawberry icecream because I need space in my freezer.  🙄

• Wink 1
  • Love 1

I made a cheese omelet that would have made Julia Child proud, served with whack-a-dough biscuits.

I discovered that having a non-stick pan used only for eggs is part of the secret for a perfect omelet. I was amused to see George Hirsch say the same thing recently.

On 6/5/2022 at 1:38 PM, MargeGunderson said:

I made black bean tostadas for lunch. They are one of my go-to easy meals, and I always seem to have corn tortillas and refried beans on hand. Today I also had fresh salsa, pickled red onion, and a perfect avocado!

I wish Taco Bell would bring back their tostada.

I had a grilled cheese sandwich on the sprouted wheat bread that came in my Azure.com delivery today. Dessert was some dried cherries and a few slices of dried peaches, also came from Azure. Great organic delivery service!

6 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I had a grilled cheese sandwich on the sprouted wheat bread that came in my Azure.com delivery today. Dessert was some dried cherries and a few slices of dried peaches, also came from Azure. Great organic delivery service!

So, you found a food delivery service that gets you the food on time! Good for you. I remember your problems with Hungryroot.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Boston said:

Leftover pepperoni pizza.. added some green peppers, Learned how to re-heat it.  Crispy crust and melty cheese.  My pre-weekend splurge.

Did you use a toaster oven? 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Did you use a toaster oven? 

No.  I put it flat-down in a medium high heat pan.  After the crust gets firm I put about a tablespoon of water around the pizza then put a cover on it.  Left if for about 3 minutes.  Crust crunchy and cheese melted.  (I know when you want leftover pizza you want to hit it in the microwave - which I do).  This is a good hack.

1 hour ago, Boston said:

(I know when you want leftover pizza you want to hit it in the microwave - which I do). 

I'm sure this is a matter of personal taste, but I think microwaving leftover pizza is a big mistake - the crust turns into rubbery mush. I know an award winning pizza maker here locally and he says to just put the leftover directly on the lowest rack of a super hot oven for 5-10 minutes to keep the crust crisp but remelt the cheese.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I'm sure this is a matter of personal taste, but I think microwaving leftover pizza is a big mistake - the crust turns into rubbery mush. I know an award winning pizza maker here locally and he says to just put the leftover directly on the lowest rack of a super hot oven for 5-10 minutes to keep the crust crisp but remelt the cheese.

Exactly right.  I was just saying.. after out late at night and you have pizza in the fridge.. you microwave it because you can't wait for the oven. Believe me.. I am a good cook.  But sometimes circumstances call for whatever you know or have.  THANK YOU.

I agree microwaving ruins the crust.  I mostly like leftover pizza cold, but not when I've used alfredo as the sauce; that I like hot, so I stick it in the toaster oven at 400 degrees.

I also loved cold leftover fried chicken.  Other than that, I'm a re-heater.  And I'll use the microwave for most of it, but not pizza.

• Love 2

Has anyone used Ah-So sauce?  on chicken or pork.  When i was growing up my dad used to grill with this sauce (very sticky) and lately I had a hankering for the flavor.  Brushed it on chicken thighs and put it in the oven (I don't have an outdoor grill).  cooked it and turned up the temperature at the end of cooking so it got a little 'burnt' on the edges.  It's really good.

• Love 1

I heat slices of cold pizza by putting it on a baking pan in a cold oven, then turning the oven to 350.  By the time the oven has reached temperature (or maybe a minute longer), the pizza is perfect.  Nice melty cheese, and warm crunchy crust.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Pan fried chicken wings in beef tallow w/Avocado oil and lots of garlic, crisped brown. Spread the garlic on toasted multigrain bread, with sweet pickles and red peppers on the side. Mini Blue Bunny cone for dessert. 

Really enjoying the foods I got from Azure.com (tallow, wings, garlic, and the bread). This place is going to be a keeper, maybe not every month, but at least every couple of months. I went a bit overboard this first month.

• Like 1

Last night I prepared Trader Joe's Ricotta & Lemon Zest raviolis, and Arugula & Parm-Reggiano raviolis. Made a butter sauce that included lemon juice, fresh basil, and some sliced almonds in lieu of OTT expensive pine nuts. It was delicious. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My stepdaughter and family came from Florida to visit for the first time in 9 years. They now have 4 kids, ages 10 to 4. I'm not used to feeding a crowd. Tuesday night was hamburgers, hot dogs, and fries. My stepdaughter said if she was in Maryland she wanted crab cakes, so on Wednesday we got take-out (she was the only one who got crab cakes). The place has really good blackened shrimp tacos with rice and beans, so that's what I had. Last night we had chicken and shrimp tacos.

And today they are gone, taking the auto train back home. I'm enjoying the peace and quiet!

I'm exhausted just thinking about having that many people in my home, especially four of them being kids.

I had crab cakes last night.  Along with a dill slaw, and sauteed spinach and mushrooms (just cooked with garlic and splashed with a little balsamic vinegar at the end).  Plus I made some garlic and rosemary roasted "pee wee" potatoes for my parents (baby white, red, and purple potatoes; I don't eat them, so I just picked up the bag because they were cute).

I have no idea for tonight's dinner yet.  My friend and I have missed our weekly call for a month now, and are finally going to chat tonight.  She's calling around 7/7:30, and we talk for a couple of hours under normal circumstances, so by the time this marathon session is done, it'll be late and I'll want something quick and easy.  So I need to plan in advance, but I haven't decided yet.

(edited)

We had tacos last night...first time in years! But the box had soft (flour tortillas) and hard shells. I used a packet of sodium reduced taco seasoning with very lean ground beef. They were delicious with chopped tomatoes, lettuce, onions and shredded cheeses. I made a blueberry crostata for dessert.

Edited by annzeepark914
(edited)

I'm doing a filet mignon roast for Father's Day dinner, with a blue cheese, chive, and horseradish sauce for my dad and plain ol' grated horseradish for my mom and me as we don't like blue cheese (I just finished grating the horseradish, so I had to open all my kitchen windows).  The salad is mixed greens with cucumber and avocado, and the side is mustard greens sauteed in bacon fat, garlic, and a little bit of red pepper flakes, with a touch of balsamic vinegar once off the heat.  I'm also making potatoes, since my dad loves them (as does my mom; I hate them, so only ever cook them for other people) - red potatoes smashed with buttermilk, roasted garlic, bacon, and scallions.

6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

We had tacos last night...first time in years!

I practically live on tacos.  Usually some sort of chicken or shrimp concoction.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
(edited)

Having one of those don't know what to eat days. Having Tomato soup with organic sprouted bread toasted in a bit of the olive oil I put some of my air fryer roasted garlic in. Then spread a clove over the toast.

I did 3 heads of garlic in the air fryer!! It worked out well and was so easy and is so yummy!  Cut the top off pour about a tsp of olive oil over the top, salt (Red Boat Salt I used for umami) and pepper. Wrap in a square of foil. 380° on my AF for about 24 min. 

This is the recipe I used and it came out just as shown.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/279505/air-fryer-roasted-garlic/

Salt came from Amazon...it is amazing!!!

ETA: my afternoon snack was some fresh made (from frozen) soft pretzels and feta cheese so I did get my protein quota for the day...

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Love 1

@Gramto6, I am intrigued by the Red Boat salt! My lunch was less interesting - chili dogs with American cheese and chopped onion. I am forgoing dinner for obvious reasons. Actually, now that I think about it, I haven’t been in the mood for dinner for the last couple of weeks, no matter what I ate earlier in the day. Hmm, that’s a bit unusual. 

• Like 1

Potato Caesar salad. Original recipe calls for steaming new potatoes, pricking and then marinate in olive oil/garlic mixture before finishing on the grill. Then cube and toss with grilled bacon (crumbled) and green onion and Caesar dressing. Ground black pepper to taste. Shave/grind real (not the canned stuff) Parmesan cheese on top.

The best type of Caesar dressing for this is not home made nor the stuff in a bottle as they are too thin. I prefer the thick ones in a jar sold in the refrigerated section of the grocery store.

I changed it up a bit since I had winter potatoes to be used up (microwave baked then cooled to room temp) and some left over ham roast. Chopped the green onion, added the dressing, black pepper and voila quick salad for a hot day.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I made Ina's Sausage & Fennel with Rigatoni, using turkey Italian sausage.  Couldn't find fennel in the produce dept (grocery shopping is hit or miss on Mondays) so I sauted a chopped leek & tossed in some leftover sauted spinach. I omitted the dried fennel. Subbed rotini for the pasta. It was de-licious! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Tonight's dinner is a Blue Apron shrimp taco recipe that comes with a side of carrot and kohlrabi slaw. I'd never had kohlrabi before - it makes the slaw a little sweet.  Blue Apron supplied quac for the tacos, and I got mango salsa to go with it too.

4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Thanks for the link. I plan to make this dish.

Try his recipe for the nuoc cham sauce (it’s linked in the recipe). It’s my favorite of the ones I’ve made - not too sweet and lots of lime.

• Useful 1

Trying a new chicken wing recipe from allrecipes and cheating with a 4 cheese instant rice a roni and pickles. It's what feels good for tonight Maybe a mini Blue Bunny cone for dessert.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

I made Vietnamese Grilled Pork & Rice Noodles. This is one of my favorite foods on the planet, and I finally found a recipe I really like. I planted Thai basil and mint this year so those came out of my (container) garden. 

I LOVED Vietnamese food the first time I had it.  It was in D.C.  a little small outside place.  Will always be one of my favorite foods.

• Love 1
On 6/26/2022 at 7:51 PM, MargeGunderson said:

Try his recipe for the nuoc cham sauce (it’s linked in the recipe). It’s my favorite of the ones I’ve made - not too sweet and lots of lime.

This is very similar to Vietnamese Dipping Sauce. I just compared the two recipes and the dipping sauce also calls for rice vinegar. That seems to be the main difference. Love Vietnamese food! ❤️

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/26/2022 at 4:51 PM, MargeGunderson said:

I love nước chấm (and bún).  That recipe is similar in proportions to how I make it, only I usually add rice vinegar.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Still on a somewhat light diet after being sick. For lunch I had a Feta salad with pickled beets and onions and green beans. For dinner I had a chicken wing fried in a bit of beef tallow with 2 thin slices of a baguette with a bit of butter rubbed with a garlic clove and a few pickle slices. 

So far everything is staying down and I feel pretty well.

8 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Still on a somewhat light diet after being sick. For lunch I had a Feta salad with pickled beets and onions and green beans. For dinner I had a chicken wing fried in a bit of beef tallow with 2 thin slices of a baguette with a bit of butter rubbed with a garlic clove and a few pickle slices. 

So far everything is staying down and I feel pretty well.

Glad you're feeling better 😊.

• Love 2

So my husband and I ordered lunch from a Portuguese bakery today.  We ordered sandwiches and a side salad.  Plus mini quiche (for the kiddo).  Definitely not that great.  My husband's sandwich, a breaded chicken BLT, tasted, as he put it "came from the freezer."  Mine was okay - probably because it didn't have meat but just cheese, bread avocado and sliced tomatoes.  The salad, however, was limp.  We could only eat the avocados and sliced strawberries.  The mini quiche?  They actually weren't that mini!  I ordered three, assuming they were the same size as egg bites from Starbucks and two are now sitting in my freezer.  I don't think I'm going to order from that place again.  

I'm taking the night off from cooking. Grilled hamburgers and watermelon.

Last night I made shrimp fried rice with lime marinated mango. My husband said the first time he ever had shrimp fried rice was when he was in the Army stationed in Okinawa, and he really liked it. He declared last night's dish the best he's ever had. Go Blue Apron!

Sometimes a culinary mistake can work out well. I was making Ina's Eggplant Gratin for supper and grabbed what I thought was Half & Half, but was actually real deal cream. Wow! That's the best gratin topping ever 😁. With some Pinot Grigio, this is a wonderful supper. So...Happy Fourth, everyone! 🇺🇲🌷❤️🎉

• Love 1

Fourth of July fireworks party menu at my house: Big salad with everything especially lots of avocado, chili colorado, freshly baked cornbread....lots of wine,....and then cheesecake topped with fresh strawberries. Hope you are all eating large! Happy birthday, 'murica!

• Love 2