Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Zoey’s Extraordinary Goodbye

• Start Topic

Finally, someone confirms that those chairs in her office are terrible. They look so uncomfortable.

Loved Zoey dancing with her dad.

"You got kids, I got her, get used to it." 😆

When Max was singing at the airport I was thinking the song was really for Zoey.

11 hours ago, HelenCrump said:

Great episode ... it tied everything up.  It felt a lot like a series finale!

It works if they don't get renewed, but I'm hoping for a third season. I wanna see where this goes.

• Love 23
Just now, HelenCrump said:

Great episodes ... it tied everything up.  It felt a lot like a series finale.

it did feel like a series finale. but, i was so hoping that the golden gate park scene would have been revealed to be a dream — zoey needs to be on her own for a while — and, i really hate ‘happy endings!’

• Love 5

And yet another show where they play around and tease the white female lead with a black man.. But then quickly find a way to undo it and put her with a white fella... I just seen it too many times to be upset about it anymore... Good songs.. Nice finale.. Let's see if we get a season 3

• Love 7
(edited)

If the show comes back, will it be called Max's Extraordinary Playlist? And will Skylar not be singing anymore?

Am i thinking too much about it right now?

Edited by argrow
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
(edited)

Zoey and her dad’s song was my favorite of the season. May have shed a few tears. 

I’m Team Max so I’m good with the ending (but not really Team Zoey with her constant flip flopping). I thought him hearing a heart song was a nice twist. 

Mo had some good moments this episode cheering on Zoey and his quick retort of “You’ve got kids. I’ve got her.”

A little too much singing from Mary for me this episode (and really any singing from her is too much). 

I agree it felt like a series finale. Hoping it gets renewed for a third season. Fingers crossed! 

Edited by UGAmp
Mixed up names!
  • Love 12
(edited)

This episode was a whole rollercoaster of emotion. The Shake It Off scene was really fun; I love when the whole cast performs together. And I wasn’t prepared for how emotional Mitch singing I Lived would make me. I’m glad they’ve found ways to bring him back this season.

I absolutely did not see that twist coming, with Max hearing Zoey sing a heart song to him, but I loved it. Does that mean they both have the power now? Cause that will be interesting to explore, provided we get a third season (which we better, you hear me NBC?).

It does seem like it could function as a final episode if need be though. I liked the montage with Simon excelling at work and Mo and Perry having a dinner date with the kids. Everyone is in a good place. 

Edited by phalange
  • Love 11

An extraordinary season finale! (lol, I couldn't resist) ZEP is such a joy, and the cast is so talented and fun to watch. 

I really hope the show gets renewed for season 3, because the twist with Max is so interesting and I feel like some great stories, and duets!, can come out of it if given a chance. 

• Love 8

This may be the unpopular view, but I did not like this ending with Max being able to hear heart songs.  I liked Zoey's abilities being tied to the MRI glitch, which gave us a tech/medical explanation.  With Max now in the mix it's now more of a fate/chosen one type of situation.  Not crazy about that. 

Other than that, a good episode.  And, as others have mentioned they tied it up nicely if they don't get renewed for Season 3. 

If they do get renewed for Season 3, please keep Mary S. out of musical numbers.  She just doesn't have the musical chops, especially compared to the rest of the cast.

• Love 11

I knew that Max singing at the airport was really to Zoey, but I wasn't sure if we were going to see Zoey find out or not. I am really glad she did and they ended with them together, now it will work if we don't get a third season.

But I really hope we get a third season and figure out what the hell is up with Max hearing Zoey sing. Does he have her powers totally know? Does she still have her powers? Can he hear everyone or just Zoey?

The songs were all really great tonight.

I am also glad Zoey and Simon broke up amicably, although it seems a little unrealistic. I also liked the confirmation that Zoey was stilI his boss. I hope they stay away from any triangle next season, and give Simon a new storyline with this new company.

• Love 5

I liked it! I was surprised, because I was irritated all season and until the last few minutes of this episode, by the triangle and by both Zoey and Max and their chronically annoying behavior. So I regard this as a case of them deserving each other, and POSSIBLY growing enough to not be so annoying if they do get another season. This episode had all the hallmarks of a show that knows it's not coming back, though I do kind of hope it does get a surprise renewal. 

Leif was kind of a dick outing the "who did Danny really pick" thing at the dinner. 

• Love 9
Just now, possibilities said:

Leif was kind of a dick outing the "who did Danny really pick" thing at the dinner. 

But if Leif hadn't told her, Zoey wouldn't have realized how Max really saw her, which, I suppose, in a 2 words would be: adoring respect.

Most of my thoughts about the episode are about the songs, so I'll post again when I have the list in front of me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Really enjoyed this episode, as others have said, it tied things up really nicely just in case we don't get more, but also opened some doors for another interesting season. I wouldn't expect max to fully have the powers, but that this is some other type of glitch or whatever when Zoey's power goes haywire... or Zoey was able to open herself up to him, which turned it into him hearing her heart song.. or they have no idea and will run with something when they get another season :P 

It was a neat way to end the episode and give Jane a chance to sing. 

I do like how they handled the break up with Simon. Even with Zoey wanting to break up, I'm glad it wasn't one sided and gave Simon some agency to speak for what he wants, what works for him and that their relationship wasn't working even though they had a close bond. Hopefully they can get back to a friend place, since I really enjoy the actor. I'm glad they picked up the thread of supporting minorities in small business, it's a great new role for Simon as a character. 

The scene with Mitch was just wonderful, I'm glad they worked the song and dance into it as well. It definitely brought the feels and the tears. Maybe not quite as much punch as last season's finale, but it was really special. I'm glad they found some ways to bring him back for a couple of episodes. 

I definitely want to see another season, but I won't be completely crushed if this is the end. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

This was a pretty entertaining and enjoyable finale all around, with enough left unfixed to pick up in a new season. I feel since it’s being considered, I think it’s more than 50% likely this show will get moved to Peacock

3 minutes ago, roctavia said:

The scene with Mitch was just wonderful, I'm glad they worked the song and dance into it as well. It definitely brought the feels and the tears. Maybe not quite as much punch as last season's finale, but it was really special. I'm glad they found some ways to bring him back for a couple of episodes. 

Agree. Anything with GhostMitch gets to me now as I lost both of my elderly parents last year

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, roctavia said:

while i understand why mitch’s death was necessary, his presence centered the storytelling, and i think this season felt a bit unmoored because of his absence. so, i too, was delighted that they were able to work  him into even just a couple of episodes. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, UnoAgain said:

And yet another show where they play around and tease the white female lead with a black man.. But then quickly find a way to undo it and put her with a white fella... I just seen it too many times to be upset about it anymore... Good songs.. Nice finale.. Let's see if we get a season 3

I know what you mean, but I think Zoey works better with Max. And who's to say Zoey and Max are endgame?  I mean based on tradition they would be and it would make the most sense, but what if it's actually Zoey and Simon?  I really think Simon needs a mature, grown & sexy type of woman. 

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, UnoAgain said:

Yeah I'm numb to it at this point, and if history tells us anything Simon's not gonna be much of a factor if there is a season 3.

Edited by mommalib
2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I hope they stay away from any triangle next season, and give Simon a new storyline with this new company.

Yes! I would love to see storylines about Simon and this new company as well as any others that he brings on to mentor. Depending on how long the series lasts, there could be a new start-up company Simon is working with each season.

As soon as DMD mentioned lawsuits, I thought "that's supid. Just buy the small company. It's much easier and saves tons of time and legal fees." 

1 hour ago, roctavia said:

Zoey was able to open herself up to him, which turned it into him hearing her heart song

I think this is exactly what happened. This may be a new dimension of her power. When she is emotionally open to someone and trusts them completely, they can hear her heart song. My guess is that only someone who knows about her power would be able to hear her heart songs. 

I am still surprised that Max and Zoey have only known each other five or six years. It seems like they have known each other for so much longer. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

it did feel like a series finale. but, i was so hoping that the golden gate park scene would have been revealed to be a dream — zoey needs to be on her own for a while — and, i really hate ‘happy endings!’

That wasn't Golden Gate Park.  The park isn't near the bridge.  It was Vancouver (or wherever they film the show) with an extra long Golden Gate Bridge superimposed in the background.  I suppose these "San Francisco" scenes -- like the start of "Bay to Breakers race" -- are only annoying to people familiar with the city.  It's pretty common that many of the TV shows "based" in S.F. are really shot in Canada or L.A.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
57 minutes ago, buckboard said:

That wasn't Golden Gate Park.  The park isn't near the bridge.  It was Vancouver (or wherever they film the show) with an extra long Golden Gate Bridge superimposed in the background.  I suppose these "San Francisco" scenes -- like the start of "Bay to Breakers race" -- are only annoying to people familiar with the city.  It's pretty common that many of the TV shows "based" in S.F. are really shot in Canada or L.A.

Remember, when discussing TV shows or movies, people tend to talk about where the scene is supposed to be taking place rather than where it was actually filmed. Most adults know that not every scene is filmed on location. To me, it makes sense that someone would describe it as the golden gate park scene. When discussing the events of the Harry Potter movies, people are more likely to refer to a scene as taking place at Hogwarts, not the name of the real castle or Oxford building where they filmed it. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 23
(edited)
4 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

As soon as DMD mentioned lawsuits, I thought "that's supid. Just buy the small company. It's much easier and saves tons of time and legal fees."

I had pretty close to the same thought. I was very glad to see Simon convince DMD to buy the company and use their talents for what they needed

I’m pretty well convinced that DMD is an incompetent and bad boss, especially after last episode with how he handled the potential new employees by springing on them yet another job test. However, the above scene where Simon convinced him not to destroy a small company composed of very smart young Black men (and women?) and bring them into the fold instead shows yet again that he’s capable of listening and using his money for good. But this guy is definitely exhausting

I have to say, in spite of a very tough year+ and TV season due to the pandemic, several of my shows have been killing it with their finales

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, DanaK said:
6 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I had pretty close to the same thought. I was very glad to see Simon convince DMD to buy the company and use their talents for what they needed

DMD seems to enjoy harassing small businesses in court for his own amusement, so I'm glad Simon was able to change his mind.

I thought the Zoey/Simon breakup was handled well, too. I think even if Simon knew about the heart songs, he and Zoey aren't right for each other at the moment. Their biggest bond was grief, and while that can be a basis to build a relationship on, Zoey still hadn't come to terms with hers.

Max was a colossal jerk to break up with Rose at the airport. And what now of the popup, now that he won't be in NYC?

10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

"You got kids, I got her, get used to it." 😆

Perry is definitely getting the short end of that stick, heh.

If there is a third season (and I won't be upset if there isn't), I hope Peter Gallagher can make a few ghost appearances.

• Love 3

Awwww, I love "Sing" and I loved that of all the people who sang to her, Danny was the one who sang the line "don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear" and Maggie was the one who sang "sing of happy, not sad."

On a practical note, I really liked that instead of going the usual CW route of lacy lingerie in all bedroom scenes, the show has opted to portray Simon and Zoey going to sleep together wearing t-shirts.

When Zoey told Mo that she felt like she was in a perpetual daze floating through life, feeling all alone with this power and nonstop songs, it reminded me of the Buffy musical episode when she had some serious PTSD and was going through an existential crisis:

Every single night the same arrangement
I go out and fight the fight
Still I always feel this strange estrangement
Nothing here is real, nothing here is right
I've been making shows of trading blows
Just hoping no one knows
That I've been going through the motions
Walking through the part
Nothing seems to penetrate my heart
[...]
Will I stay this way forever?
Sleepwalk through my life's endeavor?
I don't want to be going through the motions
Losing all my drive
I can't even see if this is really me
And I just want to be alive

I was glad that Emily was immediately so supportive of Maggie talking to her high school ex, especially when David was freaking out it being a potential stalker.

The "YIKES!" look that Zoey made when Perry showed up at the restaurant was hilarious. On a shallow note, she looked great in that green jumpsuit.

I always enjoy the big group numbers so I loved that we got THREE in this episode!

Danny trying to violate some sort of weird fire code by dancing around with a candle to distract Perry cracked me up. What I really want to know is if Mo asked him to do that or if he was just being Danny. I thought that his late night tours would end up having the board get rid of him but I guess that was just more Danny being Danny.

I liked that Leif was clearly uncomfortable with squashing the small company as soon as Danny mentioned it and then he brought it to Simon. I was glad that Danny heard what Simon was saying and gave him the opportunity to switch roles within the company to something completely new.

Yay, we got to see Mitch again! I seriously went awwwwwww went he showed up.

As soon as the music for "I Melt with You" started, Max immediately got a weird look on his face which is how I knew that he was going to hear Zoey sing instead of the other way around. I wonder if she passed her power on to him or if they now both have it.

9 hours ago, UGAmp said:

A little too much singing from Mary for me this episode (and really any singing from her is too much).

She had two very short solos total (one in each song). In Sing, she sang only five words: "make it happy, not sad," and in "Shake It Off," she sang  "but I keep cruising, can't stop, won't stop moving, it's like I got this music in mind saying it's going to be alright," which was 12 seconds of a group performance that was almost 2 minutes long. I can live with that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

I understand Mo’s reluctance with Perry. Why keep trying with a new beau who isn’t even that comfortable yet with being gay? Plus, Perry seems much too serious to me

As for the less than stellar singers, I’ve decided I’m ok with not everyone being a great singer as long as they are a really good actor

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Why keep trying with a new beau who isn’t even that comfortable yet with being gay?

Perry is very comfortable with being gay; what he isn't/wasn't comfortable with was being with a gender-fluid person.

• Love 12

Thank you, @ElectricBoogaloo, for posting episode the song list(s)! I hope if there's a new season you can continue. ♥️
So.
Regarding the 2 songs this episode from my generation that hit me in the feels:

• "We Can Work It Out" was perfect! Although I think I prefer the Beatles non-choreography to what they had Perry doing.
    The Romeo and Juliet balcony-type shots were interesting, but didn't Romeo and Juliet both die because of their families disapproval? Oh well, that doesn't seem to be an issue.
  • "When a Man Loves a Woman" made me melt, and if all you youngsters have never heard Percy Sledge or The Righteous Brothers sing it, well, that's what YouTube was made for (IMO, although cat videos too).

30 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

As soon as the music for "I Melt with You" started, Max immediately got a weird look on his face

I missed that. I will likely rewatch this episode.

26 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

[Zoey] looked great in that green jumpsuit.

Yes! I wonder if she tried it on earlier in the season and when they saw how perfect it was for her if they decided to save it for this episode. 

30 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

If there is a third season (and I won't be upset if there isn't), I hope Peter Gallagher can make a few ghost appearances.

Yes. Ghost Peter Gallagher would have likely upped the ratings if he'd appeared earlier in the season. I wonder if he didn't because of Covid issues. He was still sporting a Covid hair do. 

27 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:
10 hours ago, UGAmp said:

She had two very short solos total (one in each song). In Sing, she sang only five words: "make it happy, not sad," and in "Shake It Off," she sang  "but I keep cruising, can't stop, won't stop moving, it's like I got this music in mind saying it's going to be alright," which was 12 seconds of a group performance that was almost 2 minutes long. I can live with that.

I thought Mary S was lip-syncing at least one of those and thought to myself: Thank goodness! 

• Love 3

How could Zoey not have burst out laughing when she heard "Sing"? I wish they'd have her not be so sour-faced all the time about hearing heart songs. At this point she should be used to it, so a reaction other than dismay would be nice.

• Love 2

I thought it was a nice way to wrap things up. But, seriously, I have no idea why Jane Levy was nominated as Best Actress in all of network TV. She really isn't very good at acting and her singing is better than Mary Steenbergen's and that is all. She is really cute, and maybe it is just the character that is so unlikeable, but I am glad everyone got their happy endings (including Emily's happy pills!). I always liked Max and I am glad that Simon got a promotion to what makes his heart happy. I also thought that the quickest solution to the law suit would be to acquire the company. And Zoey and Mitch dancing was lovely. And, I also agree that Max was singing to Zoey at the airport.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, DanaK said:

As for the less than stellar singers, I’ve decided I’m ok with not everyone being a great singer as long as they are a really good actor

I think Mary Steenburgen's acting more than makes up for singing. She brings a warmth and sincerity to Maggie. Lauren Graham, on the other hand, was not great in her role, so that combined with her awful singing made me wish they had cast someone else.

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

"When a Man Loves a Woman" made me melt, and if all you youngsters have never heard Percy Sledge or The Righteous Brothers sing it, well, that's what YouTube was made for

But avoid the Michael Bolton version which is terrible!

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
(edited)
14 hours ago, UnoAgain said:

And yet another show where they play around and tease the white female lead with a black man.. But then quickly find a way to undo it and put her with a white fella

I was just coming here to comment that! It's also a little bit of extra spit in the eye to have her initially choose Simon... why even bother supposedly resolving the love triangle if you were going to spend the entire next season immediately establishing not only that she still has romantic feelings for Max, but realizing that her feelings for Simon were actually platonic all along, apparently? And the entire course of Zoey and Simon's actual relationship involved him having to watch the obvious tension and codependency between Zoey and Max. Essentially he was forced to realize Zoey had zero romantic interest in him in real time and would obviously end up with Max, but had to keep playing along with the foursome friendship charade to be a good boyfriend, which he was, Zoey just didn’t give a shit. And then having him intuit that she wasn’t invested emotionally so that it could be his decision to gracefully step aside to take blame away from Zoey. And it’s not only totally amicable, Simon is singing cheerful songs about looking forward to the future days later because we can’t have any resentment or awkwardness make Zoey look bad or get in the way of Max/Zoey, realism be damned! It's really degrading to Simon. He doesn't have to be bitter, but at least give him real feelings.

13 hours ago, chaifan said:

This may be the unpopular view, but I did not like this ending with Max being able to hear heart songs.  I liked Zoey's abilities being tied to the MRI glitch, which gave us a tech/medical explanation.  With Max now in the mix it's now more of a fate/chosen one type of situation.  Not crazy about that. 

I interpreted that as yet another subliminal insult to Simon (and Zoey/Simon) by designating Max as inherently and magically special, thereby officially anointing him as the Chosen Love Interest and validating Zoey's decision not to tell Simon about her powers (keeping it an exclusive secret between her and Max). Max is so exceptional and his relationship with Zoey is so meant to be that the writers are apparently willing to throw out all of the established backstory around the powers and them being unique to Zoey (the point of the show) because white romance and I guess they couldn’t bear to emasculate Max by giving Zoey an ability he didn’t have, even if it’s magical powers.  

If the show gets cancelled, at least Mo/Perry are endgame and Tobin has a girlfriend!

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 11
(edited)
5 hours ago, DanaK said:

I understand Mo’s reluctance with Perry. Why keep trying with a new beau who isn’t even that comfortable yet with being gay? Plus, Perry seems much too serious to me

4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Perry is very comfortable with being gay; what he isn't/wasn't comfortable with was being with a gender-fluid person.

It's not that Perry is uncomfortable being gay or being with someone like Mo who is gender fluid (he's been shown to be comfortable being with Mo in front of Mo's friends or in front of strangers in public at the restaurant). His issue is the way he thinks that his friends and family will perceive him. He said that he doesn't want them to look at him differently because he's with someone who is gender fluid. What he was saying is "people are going to look at ME differently which will make ME feel anxious because I'm with YOU." Mo isn't willing to be with someone who feels ashamed of being with him which is why he ended things when Perry told him all of this.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5

The Season 2 finale was the perfect composite of the entire season: Aimlessly drifting with a number of stellar moments.

Every scene between Zoey and Mitch sizzle, just as they did in Season 1. As Zoey's touchstone, her father in whatever form would have been an excellent spirit guide for her if they had just had him in for a scene or two every few episodes, except of just the last two. What a waste! Not only is Peter Gallagher excellent, but Jane Levy proves her chops in the scenes with him, instead of just making faces.

My ultimate take after reading some comments from Austin Winsberg is the standard Hollywood BS. Why do in four episodes what you can do in 13? Max, nobody, Simon, nobody, Max? Doesn't seem like much of a story arc to me. So the net result of 13 episodes is that Max has now heard a heart song for himself? That's the cliffhanger? Not very satisfying for sure.

The Aiden detour was pointless. DMD is now just annoying (as is most SPRQPoint stuff). The "drone phone" is idiotic and Mo's relationship stories have become repetitive.

On the plus side, I wasn't at all sold on the MaxiMo idea, but I've been convinced. It might work after all and be moderate profitable for the owners. Max's relationship with RoseAnne was engaging and made a whole lot more sense than his pining for Zoey. But hey, it's his funeral. Simon got to release his grief and get on with his life. He made the right decision to end it with Zoey and he's got a more appropriate career path. (BTW -- Zoey was never his "boss". He always reported straight up to DMD. It was a sour note when DMD even mentioned Zoey. Bad writing again.)

Maybe now that the Zoey relationship stuff (and her grief "journey") is over, Season 3 will get past the sophomore slump and start producing truly compelling story lines. S3 will almost certainly be on Peacock -- since S2 ended with a thump instead of a cliffhanger -- but there are enough fans and people like me who recognized how special S1 was, along with just musical comedy lovers, to generate some Peacock premium subscriptions from ZEP fans alone.

Nonetheless, I think Austin Winsberg and his writing/plotting team have run out of ideas. Dashing to the airport then not doing anything does nothing to avoid the cliche. If she really wanted to stop Max, she could have called him on his cell. Dabbling in social justice questions and post-partum depression and Zoey's depression and therapy just seemed to give the characters something to do. Where S1 dealt with real-life, S2 constantly reminded me I was watching a TV show.

Maybe being a a writer makes me more critical of the narrative arcs than other fans. It's because of that, however, than I answer the comment above regarding Jane Levy's acting ability with my opinion that she deserved the nomination she got and more for S1, but she had so much less to work with in S2 that nobody's getting any noms for it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I have found the love triangle stuff annoying (and they really treated Rose poorly), so I didn't love this episode. But I loved the Shake It Off number and the scene with Mitch.

Zoey has been off all season. In many ways, the whole family has been off. I hope never to watch David join a rock band of 20-somethings again. Maggie's gambling problem? Ugh.

The best ongoing arcs involved Mo. I liked her relationship. I *really* liked Mo and Max becoming business partners. And I enjoyed Mo's and Simon's burgeoning friendship.

The stuff at work was okay, but it lacked purpose. It became a place for people hooking up. The best work-related storyline was the flashback. I want Zoey to be excited about work and try to innovate. Maybe try to develop an app that combines her musical superpowers.

I want a third season. I enjoy the casts and the musical numbers still thrill me. I hope the love triangle is no more.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, D Angel said:

(BTW -- Zoey was never his "boss". He always reported straight up to DMD. It was a sour note when DMD even mentioned Zoey. Bad writing again.)

It's been consistent that Zoey is Simon's boss, however illogical.

1 hour ago, D Angel said:

generate some Peacock premium subscriptions from ZEP fans alone

Ugh, I HATE this. I already pay through the nose for cable and Netflix; I'm not adding more streaming platforms. 

• Love 9

For me, the important takeaway with Simon was that he KNEW she was hiding things from him and not being fully open/honest with him. It doesn't really matter what it was she was keeping from him, just that she was doing it and he knew it. He sensed it from time time that they began hooking up/dating this season and he hoped it would get better as she got more comfortable with him but she was constantly distracted, running off/flaking on him, etc.

I liked that Simon recognized she wasn't able to give him the type of relationship he wanted and ended things with her. To me that shows he's mature enough to know what he wants, communicate that information, and walk away instead of taking whatever scraps he's able to get. And that's why I think she is not ready to be with someone like him. She is still floundering in all areas of her life, she has a hard time dealing with her feelings, let alone communicating them honestly, and he deserves better than that.

He's also been through a lot in the last year (he was still grieving his father's death, he broke off his engagement, he was stressed at work) and then he started dating someone who was not really emotionally there. Again, he deserves better than that.

• Love 19
5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Ugh, I HATE this. I already pay through the nose for cable and Netflix; I'm not adding more streaming platforms. 

Me, too. I have watched some stuff on Peacock (The Amber Ruffin Show and some free movies); sometimes the player gets wonky, plus it doesn't work with Chromecast, so then either I can't do anything else on my computer or I have to watch in a little box so I can do other things. If it goes to Peacock and requires the premium access I will be annoyed. (I was actually pleasantly surprised this was on network TV; when I first started seeing ads for it I assumed it was on some streaming service that I didn't have. I only started watching it because I got the full first episode as a 45-minute "ad" before a Daily Show video on Youtube, and it sucked me in.)

• Love 1

Cost-wise, I get Peacock for free because I have Comcast cable. Plus, I have a Roku (hooked up to my TV) and watch most of my streaming on that (the rest via my Tivo DVR)

• Love 2
(edited)

If that ends up being the series finale, I will be sad to see this show go but I would be happy with this as the shows ending. We got closure with just about every major character, Zoey finally committing to a guy after waffling back and fourth for so long, and we said goodbye to Mitch with one big song and dance. I am glad they gave us a satisfying ending while also keeping the door opened for another season. I would love a third season and they did definitely set up a huge new story with Max now having music powers as soon as he and Zoey get together. This season in general struggled without Mitch and his illness as an emotional center of the show, leading to a season that got bogged down with the love triangle, which made Zoey look indecisive to the point of selfishness, and a whole lot of subplots that didn't always connect, but I still really enjoyed it and would love to have more. 

My heart got hit by a real feel when we saw Mitch, his song and the big Shake It Off numbers were my favorites of the episode, I love that they gave Mitch one last big moment to shine while giving Zoey some much needed advice, and the big ensemble numbers are always a blast. Simon and Zoey bring up so easily felt a bit anticlimactic after everything, but I am glad that they parted amicably and that Simon got to be the one who started the conversation. It seemed like Simon was so in love with Zoey while Zoey was having mixed feelings on him for so long, I am glad that he didn't just get dumped. I hope that in the hypothetical third season we get to see more of Simon working with small minority led businesses and he doesn't get pushed offscreen because the love triangle is over. 

So getting weird music brain damage can be contagious? 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Maybe Max got too close to a malfunctioning scanner at the airport...

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Max was a colossal jerk to break up with Rose at the airport. And what now of the popup, now that he won't be in NYC?

Exactly!  What about Mo and the financial benefit he was expecting from this? Couldn't Max of just gotten his own place to stay in NY and did the popup (don't his parents live out there?).  I was also pissed that Zoey didn't start questioning the "pause" until Max was with Rose. Very convenient.  I am glad Simon broke up with Zoey (I do hope we continue to see him)  he deserves better than this push/pull 3rd grade BS.  How nice it must be to be Zoey "oh, today I like this hot guy so I'll be with him" "nope, now I like this other hot guy so I'll be with him" while both guys are just "sure I love you come on back no matter what else I have going on and that who knows when you'll flip back in the other direction again".  I was very disappointed that Max came back and immediately got together with Zoe.   I did like hearing Zoe sing though.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I hope that in the hypothetical third season we get to see more of Simon working with small minority led businesses and he doesn't get pushed offscreen because the love triangle is over. 

I know you said hope... But tv history has shown us what's gonna happen if we get a third season.. When it comes to Simon... 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The power's source has never been fully explored/explained. It could be supernatural in origin. Max being able to hear Zoey's heartsong makes it harder for me to believe that it's brain damage/hallucination, because now Max is having them too. 

I am now convinced the powers are supernatural/magical. Zoey got them because forces decided she needed to get better at tuning into people's emotions, reading people's emotions, and trying to help them. When Zoey was in a place of complete emotional honesty, and because Max is so tuned into her, he was able to hear her heart song. I think it may be a one time thing, but it would be really cool if Max could hear Zoey's heartsongs in season 3, or other people's heart songs. Does he know about the reponsibility that comes with the power?

The rules so far:

1. If she hears a mission based heart song, she has to take action. 

2. If she does not take action, the heart song will keep playing until she takes action and tries to solve the problem.

3. Mission based heart songs only occur with people she knows/has a relationship with. 

4. Non-mission based heart songs are usually expressions of joy and do not require any action on Zoey's part. 

If I forgot anything or got anything wrong, let me know. Also, if you think I should start a new post so we have one go to post to discuss the powers, let me know.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Remember, when discussing TV shows or movies, people tend to talk about where the scene is supposed to be taking place rather than where it was actually filmed. Most adults know that not every scene is filmed on location. To me, it makes sense that someone would describe it as the golden gate park scene. When discussing the events of the Harry Potter movies, people are more likely to refer to a scene as taking place at Hogwarts, not the name of the real castle or Oxford building where they filmed it. 

That is true, but the scene at the end of this episode wasn't supposed to take place in Golden Gate Park.  You can't see the bridge from the park, it is miles away with lots of hills in between. There is an area near the bridge where people can walk, but I don't remember what it is called. 

Not that it matters where it was supposed to take place, they just wanted a pretty outdoor spot I think.

7 hours ago, D Angel said:

(BTW -- Zoey was never his "boss". He always reported straight up to DMD. It was a sour note when DMD even mentioned Zoey. Bad writing again.)

Zoey became his boss at the beginning of this season when she took over Joan's job. They even had a conversation about where Zoey said, "I forgot, this means I'm your boss now."

Then they stated it out again in the racism episode where DMD told Zoey she had to talk to Simon because she was his supervisor. I think her being his boss is one of the things they have been most consistent about.

SPRQ Point has a really weird structure that there is a boss of each floor, which includes all different functional teams, but that is what they have had all along.

8 hours ago, Retired at last said:

I thought it was a nice way to wrap things up. But, seriously, I have no idea why Jane Levy was nominated as Best Actress in all of network TV. She really isn't very good at acting and her singing is better than Mary Steenbergen's and that is all. She is really cute, and maybe it is just the character that is so unlikeable, but I am glad everyone got their happy endings (including Emily's happy pills!). I always liked Max and I am glad that Simon got a promotion to what makes his heart happy. I also thought that the quickest solution to the law suit would be to acquire the company. And Zoey and Mitch dancing was lovely. And, I also agree that Max was singing to Zoey at the airport.

Do you mean her Golden Globe nomination? She was nominated for best actress in a musical or comedy. I think she probably had an edge in that category because the show is really a drama with humorous moments, so she would have stronger material than the typical comedy shows/sitcoms.

Plus the Golden Globes tend to have some out there picks.

• Love 9

Mo and Perry are my favorite couple, and "We Can Work It Out" was the highpoint of the episode for me. Alex Newell is an incredible talent, and in David St. Louis the show has found someone equally charismatic and talented to hold the stage with him. I enjoy the whole show, but I always have big ears and eyes for those two. 

• Love 13
5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

It's been consistent that Zoey is Simon's boss, however illogical.

Is she not going to be his boss anymore? Because that has never made sense and I would love it if she isn't.

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I liked that Simon recognized she wasn't able to give him the type of relationship he wanted and ended things with her. To me that shows he's mature enough to know what he wants, communicate that information, and walk away instead of taking whatever scraps he's able to get. And that's why I think she is not ready to be with someone like him. She is still floundering in all areas of her life, she has a hard time dealing with her feelings, let alone communicating them honestly, and he deserves better than that.

Real talk: I've always thought Simon was too good for Zoey.

Y'all already know I cried when Mitch showed up. This is either a great or a terrible show to watch when you are grieving your father. I've had dreams about mine too.

Mo's giddiness about the airport caper was so great. "Go best friend!"

• Love 11
On 5/16/2021 at 10:47 PM, DanaK said:

I think it’s more than 50% likely this show will get moved to Peacock

Well, finally a reason to download Peacock.  Moreover, I never watch on broadcast days anyway.

15 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

reminded me of the Buffy musical episode when she had some serious PTSD and was going through an existential crisis

Joy is having “Once More with Feeling” referenced!

• Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Danny trying to violate some sort of weird fire code by dancing around with a candle to distract Perry cracked me up. What I really want to know is if Mo asked him to do that or if he was just being Danny.

Yes! This cracked me right up as well. I really wanted more information lol.  I know most people don’t like DMD but I find him amusing.

I really, really hope we get another season. I love all the musical numbers on this show, and while this season didn’t have the charm of the first, I still enjoyed it! 

Edited by srpturtle80
  • Love 7