Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Disconnected

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Max is on a mission to deliver free broadband access. Reynolds treats a young girl with a gunshot wound. Sharpe gives difficult news to a long-time patient. Iggy is immensely proud of his patient's success but worries that he's getting too close.

Original airdate 4/27/21

Either Helen’s niece lied about taking the GED or the writers didn’t do their homework.  There are requirements for a GED application and based on what we have seen, her niece would not likely qualify. You can’t be currently enrolled in high school and at 17, you need parent or guardian signature.   Helen sure does have a nice place.  

I’m tired of Iggy struggling with patients. Maybe, he needs a sabbatical.

Max is missing out on his daughter growing up.  So, the grandmother IS commuting to the city to provide child care.  I wonder what he’s going to do.  I have an idea.  Since his daughter goes to bed at 7:00 p.m., he should find a hospital job that suits her schedule.  So, he can be home with his daughter for most of day and then go to work towards the end of the day, so she’s sleeping when he’s at work.  

• Love 8

Guess we're back to "Max vows to make some sweeping change that has nothing to do with his actual job." At least his other crusades have actually been at the hospital.

Why are so many people in one building buying some sketchy medicine? Not having internet access makes them collectively gullible?

And now Max is going to get the hospital to buy hundreds of new computers so he can donate their old ones to this one building? Because that's what a public hospital should be spending taxpayers' money on. How the hell does this man keep his job?

So many questions on this head of neuro job opening.

• Why would one department head be in charge of choosing another department head's replacement?
  • If there is a search committee (which Iggy mentioned there is), why is Kao interviewing candidates by herself?
  • Even if she might legitimately do an initial interview by herself, why is she able to hire someone with no input from the aforementioned (alleged) search committee?
  • Why would she be the one hiring her own boss?
  • Where is the hospital administration/board in all this? (Oh, that's right, they're authorizing thousands of dollars for computers the hospital doesn't need. Also apparently a decision that can be made on the spur of the moment by one person because Max wore a suit.)
  • Wouldn't that actually be part of Max's job as medical director? You'd think he'd have some interest in who's running the various departments of the hospital for which he is in charge of the medical stuff.
  • And who didn't see this impulsive you're-hired-because-I-liked-your-book decision backfiring in some way?

Back to hating therapist-Iggy.

As awkward as they are, I'm kinda liking Bloom and Dr. Uber (sorry, don't know her name) as roommates. (So far. I reserve the right to change my mind next week.)

Mina just doesn't strike me as a realistic teenager-who-just-lost-her-father-and-moved-to-an-unfamiliar-country (except for the being angry with Helen part, I guess). Though I guess at least she was, in fact, going to school. I still don't know what the time frame is here. She moved there, started school, started skipping classes, dropped out and got her GED in a matter of days? weeks? Can you just go take the test and get the results right away?

• So I did some googling; in New York it's called the TASC (Test Assessing Secondary Completion); you have to be at least 16 and have been a NY State resident for at least 30 days, and not enrolled in high school. Another page says the test lasts about 9 hours and is given over 2 days, and takes approximately six weeks to get the results.

I also liked Helen mapping out a road trip with treatment stops for her patient. That was sweet.

I think I need to go to bed.

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I also liked Helen mapping out a road trip with treatment stops for her patient. That was sweet.

Yes, although virtual traveling would be more practical.  Videos, food, and music from the place you'd like to visit, plus (in this case) the company of your chosen companion.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Super nit picky but what was the A for?  
N A T H A N.

New Amsterdam Tele-Health Network. I think I would’ve left out the A (NATHN) and still pronounced it Nathan.   

Edited by Tdoc72
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I don't know how Max became a well reguarded doctor as he only has the ability to think one step into the future.   I'm going to give the world broadband..   And stop.   "Oh, well, I got this one building broadband" stop   Seriously, like as a doctor you have to be able to think more than one step at a time.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

I'm as liberal as the next guy but even I am getting sick of the "social issue" of the week storylines!

Same here, though I did enjoy Floyd's little chat with his patient's dad (before the cops took him away to have their own little chat).

52 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

"Oh, well, I got this one building broadband" stop   Seriously, like as a doctor you have to be able to think more than one step at a time.

And all these (mostly elderly, apparently) people who didn't have internet access don't have computers? Who'da thunk?

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

I am really hoping the show sticks to medical issues and the hospital and does not go with a custody battle for Luna that they are telegraphing.  Max needs to find a real nanny and get grandma out.  She is overstepping big time.  And it’s very obvious she wants custody. 

• Love 10

Broadband is a "right" now?  Thanks for the info.  I'll be anticipating my refund from Comcast. 

6 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

N A T H A N.

New Amsterdam Tele-Health Network. I think I would’ve left out the A (NATHN) and still pronounced it Nathan.   

Thanks.  I wondered that myself. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

N A T H A N.

Access?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

I am really hoping the show sticks to medical issues and the hospital and does not go with a custody battle for Luna that they are telegraphing.  Max needs to find a real nanny and get grandma out.  She is overstepping big time.  And it’s very obvious she wants custody. 

If Helen's niece ever gets her act together, she can watch Luna. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

I thought grandma was being nasty. And I don’t agree with the posters who feel that Max should give up custody or quit his job. He didn’t intend on being a single parent, his wife died and single parents love their kids just as much as partnered ones. He needs to hire a nanny who will work with his schedule and not insist on taking a walk while he wants face time.

The WIFI story was just stupid. These people could go to the library for access and an entire building would not be that stupid and there are tons of poor people out there, not just one building. They need to stick to medical stuff and don’t get me started on one person hiring a department chair on her own.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Same here, though I did enjoy Floyd's little chat with his patient's dad (before the cops took him away to have their own little chat).

And all these (mostly elderly, apparently) people who didn't have internet access don't have computers? Who'da thunk?

I am also a liberal but New Amsterdam handles them in such a lame unsophisticated manner for the most part. Max sees a problem - solves it which causes more problems and then miraculously everything is resolved in one episode. 

The interaction between Floyd and the parents had more nuance. It wasn't Shakespearean greatness but at least it had some degree of subtlety although obviously it attempted to cover a lot of stuff at once - gun safety; micro aggression suffered by POC and the reporting of crimes committed by POC which can cause profiling and potential arrests or even deaths as in the poor guy who was guilty of birding while black in Central Park. As I recall, after that incident New York State added a crime for reporting a false crime with a racial component. 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

The WIFI story was just stupid. These people could go to the library for access and an entire building would not be that stupid and there are tons of poor people out there, not just one building.

The more I think about it, the more I just find it insulting to the people who live in those areas. Are there gullible people out there? Absolutely. But that so many people in one building would fall for a scam like that just because they couldn't google it? Please. 

I really expected the issue to be some kind of chemical or gas leak in the building when they started to reveal that all these people were neighbors.

6 minutes ago, amarante said:

I am also a liberal but New Amsterdam handles them in such a lame unsophisticated manner for the most part. Max sees a problem - solves it which causes more problems and then miraculously everything is resolved in one episode. 

They're just so over the top ridiculous about it. I appreciate shows covering topical issues when they're well-written. This just isn't.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

I thought grandma was being nasty. And I don’t agree with the posters who feel that Max should give up custody or quit his job. He didn’t intend on being a single parent, his wife died and single parents love their kids just as much as partnered ones. He needs to hire a nanny who will work with his schedule and not insist on taking a walk while he wants face time.

The WIFI story was just stupid. These people could go to the library for access and an entire building would not be that stupid and there are tons of poor people out there, not just one building. They need to stick to medical stuff and don’t get me started on one person hiring a department chair on her own.

your whole post = yes x 100

• Love 7
18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Guess we're back to "Max vows to make some sweeping change that has nothing to do with his actual job." At least his other crusades have actually been at the hospital.

Why are so many people in one building buying some sketchy medicine? Not having internet access makes them collectively gullible?

And now Max is going to get the hospital to buy hundreds of new computers so he can donate their old ones to this one building? Because that's what a public hospital should be spending taxpayers' money on. How the hell does this man keep his job?

• Why would one department head be in charge of choosing another department head's replacement?
  • If there is a search committee (which Iggy mentioned there is), why is Kao interviewing candidates by herself?
  • Even if she might legitimately do an initial interview by herself, why is she able to hire someone with no input from the aforementioned (alleged) search committee?
  • Where is the hospital administration/board in all this? (Oh, that's right, they're authorizing thousands of dollars for computers the hospital doesn't need. Also apparently a decision that can be made on the spur of the moment by one person because Max wore a suit.)
  • Wouldn't that actually be part of Max's job as medical director? You'd think he'd have some interest in who's running the various departments of the hospital for which he is in charge of the medical stuff.
  • And who didn't see this impulsive you're-hired-because-I-liked-your-book decision backfiring in some way?

Even if that one doctor was in charge of finding someone, you would think she would still have to recommend her choice to the board and have them approve it. And there should be HR involved as well. She didn't even offer the woman a salary, she just said she was hired and assumed the woman accepted. I know the first couple interviewees were terrible, but ask at least one question. 

I can see having Iggy on the search committee since he works closely with the department, and even having some people who would report to her be involved. But Max would definitely be the decision maker. I guess he delegated so he could save the world by giving one building of gullible people internet access.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

And there should be HR involved as well.

Oh, yeah, that was on the list in my head but I left it out. I'm sure there's a ton of paperwork involved in onboarding a doctor to head a hospital department.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The more I think about it, the more I just find it insulting to the people who live in those areas. Are there gullible people out there? Absolutely. But that so many people in one building would fall for a scam like that just because they couldn't google it? Please. 

Seriously! Plus I know A LOT of really gullible people touting this same bullshit. They aren't poor, they have internet, and they are on Facebook. 

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, AheadofStraight said:

Seriously! Plus I know A LOT of really gullible people touting this same bullshit. They aren't poor, they have internet, and they are on Facebook. 

And the lady at the end went straight to some other kind of BS health site once she got online, so...

• Love 3
21 hours ago, ams1001 said:
  •  

Honestly, I kind of loved the doctor being like: "My life's mission is to let everyone know that Dr. Kapoor sucks and all he touched shall be destroyed."  It was so absurd as to be hilarious, and Agnes deserved to have such an impulsive decision blow up in her face. 

1 hour ago, AheadofStraight said:

It was a very insulting storyline.  They were basically saying that poor people are stupid.  And honestly, as others mentioned, even if their particular building did not have wifi, there are plenty of other ways those people could have accessed computers.   

22 hours ago, ams1001 said:

As awkward as they are, I'm kinda liking Bloom and Dr. Uber (sorry, don't know her name) as roommates. (So far. I reserve the right to change my mind next week.)

I like Dr. Uber, but what was with the hand holding at the end?  Are they setting she and Bloom up to be a romantic couple?  

And yes, Iggy is a terrible doctor.  And where does Mina sleep in Helen's apartment?  At first I thought there was a bedroom she was using, but there does not seem to be one.     

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Back to hating therapist-Iggy.

Mina just doesn't strike me as a realistic teenager-who-just-lost-her-father-and-moved-to-an-unfamiliar-country (except for the being angry with Helen part, I guess). Though I guess at least she was, in fact, going to school. I still don't know what the time frame is here. She moved there, started school, started skipping classes, dropped out and got her GED in a matter of days? weeks? Can you just go take the test and get the results right away?

• So I did some googling; in New York it's called the TASC (Test Assessing Secondary Completion); you have to be at least 16 and have been a NY State resident for at least 30 days, and not enrolled in high school. Another page says the test lasts about 9 hours and is given over 2 days, and takes approximately six weeks to get the results.

I think I need to go to bed.

4 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Even if that one doctor was in charge of finding someone, you would think she would still have to recommend her choice to the board and have them approve it. And there should be HR involved as well. She didn't even offer the woman a salary, she just said she was hired and assumed the woman accepted. I know the first couple interviewees were terrible, but ask at least one question. 

I can see having Iggy on the search committee since he works closely with the department, and even having some people who would report to her be involved. But Max would definitely be the decision maker. I guess he delegated so he could save the world by giving one building of gullible people internet access.

I work for a medical school that also is directly attached to a hospital. I’ve seen MANY department chairs replaced. That is not how it works, at all. First of all, there is a whole search committee established. There is usually one or two other department chairs in charge of the committee with other faculty members sitting on the committee as well. Secondly, they hire a search firm. The purpose of the search firm is to find candidates. Then, they have several rounds of interviews. When they narrow down the search to a small handful, the candidates come to campus and have a full day (or more) of meetings with different groups (chairs, students, leadership, etc). So, yeah, this show is depicting that all wrong, but that doesn’t surprise me since they get very little right lol. 

Also, that first candidate the interim chair interviewed made me laugh with his themed days. I knew a chair similar to that. He also liked to have faculty meetings where he played his guitar and sang. But, he was the chair of psychiatry,  not neurology.   Despite all that, he was a good chair and I personally really liked him. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

I don't know what else to say, I feel like the writers gave up on this show. It's like 'there's a pandemic people will watch anything' kind of approach.  What bothers me the most is there is no character development, people act and respond differently every episode, except Max who is just clueless.  It's literally like a different show every week where the characters take on a new personality.  Really surreal to watch it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I wanted to punch that doctor for dissing Dr. Kapoor like that. 😡 Kao, you idiot, that’s what you get for hiring someone without interviewing them. 

When Max was blathering about how having internet access would keep those people safe from misinformation, I just 🙄. Yeah, dummy, people find only the truth online.

I don’t like Max’s MIL. I hate Helen’s niece. Spoiled brat.

• Love 10

WHO IS THE WORST DOCTOR THIS TIME AROUND?

i bet Max isn't gonna be available for the phone call with Luna at 7

why is iggy head of the search committee for neuro chief? shouldn't it be someone with hiring power, like someone from the board

i bet the guy from iggy's group is applying for a job distributing that fake vaccine and that is going to end up being a big thing

oh ok it's a job at new amsterdam

hey, max did something decent

but uhhh Sharpe what kind of transformation did his cancer have in order to become totally untreatable? It sounds like he did treatment once, and now it's back after 3 years

wait with those symptoms what the *hell* is his platelet count, and why can't she give him something like procrit to boost his counts instead of daily transfusions?

wait that woman in the ER, it said her pulse was 19 but there was a totally normal looking EKG

umm sharpe i hope you have phone numbers or cards for those doctors so they can get in touch with them

Dr. Neuro I think you are going to regret hiring that person on the spot

um how did you get that portal set up so quickly, and that would cost a lot of money

and I was right about that Dr. Neuro! she sounds like evil Max - and she had the world's quickest hiring process

hey, Iggy did the right thing with the patient

i'm wondering how the child accidentally shot herself in the chest

hey, Max got him in time!

I was expecting Bloom to walk in to find out she was robbed, instead it's a gigantic tree

So, who's the worst doctor? I think it might be the former interim head of neurology - she hired someone on the spot because she was her idol. Not a good way to do it.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

Yeah, my thought as well. I feel like she's doing her best to sabotage their relationship. There's no telling what was going on while Luna was staying with them (Gwen and the FIL) in CT.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, amarante said:

The interaction between Floyd and the parents had more nuance. It wasn't Shakespearean greatness but at least it had some degree of subtlety although obviously it attempted to cover a lot of stuff at once - gun safety; micro aggression suffered by POC and the reporting of crimes committed by POC which can cause profiling and potential arrests or even deaths as in the poor guy who was guilty of birding while black in Central Park. As I recall, after that incident New York State added a crime for reporting a false crime with a racial component. 

I agree with you. Sometimes I think to myself that it would be nice to be able to just forget all the stuff that happens outside of TV and enjoy a good drama, complain about silly stuff. But then I remember that entertainment has a function in all this, just like music, it tells the story of the times. Yes, sometimes it tells a bad story, but it does get people uncomfortable, so it is touching a nerve. Also, the real victims don't have the luxury of simply "plug off". The speech was good and I saw Floyd's discomfort when listening to the "I am not a racist" mom.

10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Oh, yeah, that was on the list in my head but I left it out. I'm sure there's a ton of paperwork involved in onboarding a doctor to head a hospital department.

A ridiculous conclusion for a ridiculous starting of this story - an interim (young woman of color, to be specific and because nuance) being forced into this role, and then having her decision be accepted by a board that wasn't consulted and job done. Ugh.

9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

And the lady at the end went straight to some other kind of BS health site once she got online, so...

I think that the objective of the story was exactly that, but it was botched from the beginning. I agree that was was discriminatory against poor people. And those portals don't work as well as they showed. As mentioned, the internet is ripe with snake oil solutions for everything. AS an aside, when Bloom mentioned people drinking bleach, I wish they had also mentioned that to this day, there are parent's of autistic kids giving them bleach enemas to "cure autism". It is banned in the US but of course people still find ways to torture the kids.

Iggy should not be a psychologist. He was right is distancing himself from the patient but he made it all about him. Even as he said he was transferring Chance to another doctor, and that it was his fault, he still said that as if he was the one who was hurt the most. Plus, I would think that there are better ways fo giving the news to someone who is so obviously in pain and who believes no one else care about him.

• Love 2

So the moral of this week's lesson from Max is "Poor people are gullible and need to be rescued by the medical director."  Great.  

15 hours ago, deaja said:

So the moral of this week's lesson from Max is "Poor people are gullible and need to be rescued by the medical director."  Great.  

yeah, seriously

If it had been him just going "Okay, we need a secure portal for patients to find info on" sure, that's good

but him just going from task to task was just silly.

• Love 1
On 4/27/2021 at 8:31 PM, ams1001 said:

No public funds were spent.  The board members were CEOs of various big companies and donated the items.  The one guy was a telcom CEO and donated broadband.  The lady donated computers 10 months ago and then donated new ones when Max told her the ones from 10 month ago were shitty.  I think maybe she was supposed to be a tech CEO, but a tech CEO would hopefully see through that BS.  

The poor people are stupid storyline was super offensive.  There's definitely an issue with the technology gap that was demonstrated through COVID and distance learning, but to make it the social issue of the week in the way that they did was truly offensive.  As everyone has already stated, lack of internet access doesn't make you dumb or gullible.  It seems like they also tried to tie in the cultural issue around alternative medicine and non-western cures, but poorly.  Also, is the COVID vaccine that hard to get in NYC that people are buying fakes?  I'm in Los Angeles and we're about to have more vaccines than we need - and it is free here, do you have to pay in other places?  The real problem here is that at risk communities don't want to get it because they don't trust the government to not experiment on them and give them the same vaccine as everyone else, which is understandable after generations of forced sterilizations and horrors like the tuskegee experiment, etc.  I'm in South LA and went to a bunch of vaccine townhalls and hearing all the distrust was really heartbreaking. 

With its near constant ham-handed handling of the social issue of the week it's almost like this show is written to make fun of liberals.

I fully expected Iggy to say he was referring that kid to a new doctor so they could be friends.  I was shocked when that didn't happen.  Go Iggy, I guess.

If Kapoor's department had that many people in it why was the intern made interim head?  It seems like they could have picked someone else.  I was under the impression the department was unrealistically tiny.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

Also, is the COVID vaccine that hard to get in NYC that people are buying fakes?

Not at this point (don't know if show is caught up to real time, but I assume so). Anyone 16+ is eligible and I just looked at the NYC vaccine finder site and plenty of places have appointments available. No, it doesn't cost anything out of pocket. (I'm in NJ and I heard last night that all the megasites are open to walk-ins, now.)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Not at this point (don't know if show is caught up to real time, but I assume so). Anyone 16+ is eligible and I just looked at the NYC vaccine finder site and plenty of places have appointments available. No, it doesn't cost anything out of pocket. (I'm in NJ and I heard last night that all the megasites are open to walk-ins, now.)

Same here.  There's a line at some, but they are expecting that to dissipate next week.  I had to work a little bit to schedule an appointment this week because I missed my assigned 2nd dose appointment last week, but I needed a Moderna shot and I was being picky about wanting a drive-thru location and also not wanting to drive that far.  And by working a little bit, I just mean I had to look 3 times instead of only 1.  If I wanted Pfizer or J&J those appointments are plentiful because all the mobile clinics have those.  I guess if you don't have internet it might be harder to schedule because you have to call.  But as you said, walk-ups are available now.  All this being said, it is hard to imagine a whole building of people both so anxious to get the vaccine and also stupid enough to pay for a fake one.

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 2

Tonight I caught up on the shows I missed during the week, New Amsterdam and both FBI shows.  Unfortunately, I didn't care for any of them.  I don't know why.........(is it because of Covid 19?) but they're just not that good this season.   

New Amsterdam jumped from one storyline to another much too quickly this week.  It didn't give any of them enough time to make me care about them.

On 4/28/2021 at 9:04 AM, Aliconehead said:

Agreed. Eff you, Gwen. Shorten her pre nap walk and let Max finish his stupid song. Keep the kid up a few minutes. It will be fine. She was so passive aggressive bitchy. I'd immediately say no more and hire a nanny. 

• Like 1
  • Love 10

Next on New Amsterdam. Max solves global warming by getting Elon Musk to give everyone a free Tesla.

Hey Max. All people need to get online is a Chromebook and Amazon has them for about $200. No need to give them $5,000 laptops to watch YouTube. And giving someone access to the internet to better educate them is kind of an oxymoron.

If Helen can afford to live in a ballroom with a full wall of windows, and Bloom has a room big enough to grow a redwood, then Max should be able to afford a nanny for not-Agnes.

The neurology department seemed to be staffed with quite a few veteran doctors that might have been a better choice to be interim chair than a kid just out of med school  

The title of this episode is “Disconnected”.  Which is very appropriate considering how disconnected from reality this show is getting.

• Love 7
On 4/27/2021 at 11:43 PM, Driad said:

Yes, although virtual traveling would be more practical.  Videos, food, and music from the place you'd like to visit, plus (in this case) the company of your chosen companion.

Your comment made me think of a story I read in the NY Times this week. As I went to the site just now so I could get the link, I was sad to see it updated to say that she died this past Wednesday. It's a very moving story.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/26/travel/lisa-maksym-rome-cancer.html?searchResultPosition=1

26 minutes ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Next on New Amsterdam. Max solves global warming by getting Elon Musk to give everyone a free Tesla.

Hey Max. All people need to get online is a Chromebook and Amazon has them for about $200. No need to give them $5,000 laptops to watch YouTube. And giving someone access to the internet to better educate them is kind of an oxymoron.

If Helen can afford to live in a ballroom with a full wall of windows, and Bloom has a room big enough to grow a redwood, then Max should be able to afford a nanny for not-Agnes.

The neurology department seemed to be staffed with quite a few veteran doctors that might have been a better choice to be interim chair than a kid just out of med school  

The title of this episode is “Disconnected”.  Which is very appropriate considering how disconnected from reality this show is getting.

Oh boy. I'm usually amused by Max's brand of "extra", but this week he was too much even for me. There are so many other people out there working on getting people wider broadband access. Just do your actual job, Max.

Also, signing on 100% with those believing that Max is headed for a custody battle with Grandma. She resented him moving Luna back home with him in the first place, and now she is clearly doing that passive-agressive undermining of his connection to her. Max is the medical director of a large hospital; surely he is being paid enough to hire a full-time nanny to take care of Luna. Let Grandma visit, but that's all. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, TVForever said:

Didn't they establish at some point that Bloom is independently wealthy, but doesn't often use the money she has? 

Also, signing on 100% with those believing that Max is headed for a custody battle with Grandma. She resented him moving Luna back home with him in the first place, and now she is clearly doing that passive-agressive undermining of his connection to her. Max is the medical director of a large hospital; surely he is being paid enough to hire a full-time nanny to take care of Luna. Let Grandma visit, but that's all. 

I totally think they are heading in this direction.  You just know she is probably keeping a journal of each time Max has been a few minutes late, or Luna has been unhappy at Max leaving for the day.  He really needs to be done with her. 

• Love 3

It could be interesting to show how hard child care is for working people, and even though Max can afford it, he cannot find a suitable nanny - in a previous episode the waiting list was months long, I guess? It is a valid plot, if addressed as a side note, plus the custody battle shit is too much of a cliche. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

All people need to get online is a Chromebook and Amazon has them for about $200.

not even that much.  Get a Fire Tablet at Best Buy for about $75 and done. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Congrats to the show for their crystal ball on predicting what's going to be in the news. Last season it was the pandemic, this one it's lack of broadband and infrastructure. But ...

Iggy is once again making a ton of bad decisions a a therapist and hurting his patient.  Helen and Mina badly need a family therapist but not Iggy

I was cringing through the whole interviews for the head of neurology.  There is no way that Kao should have been the one to make the decision, and someone should have looked into her background.  I want to like this show because I like Peter Horton and David Foster but they're making it very hard.

How did Dr. Uber afford that huge tree if she can't afford a place to stay?

On 4/27/2021 at 11:31 PM, ams1001 said:

The problem is not lack of connection to the internet but bad information both in the case of the fake cures and the parents of the girl who shot herself. The portal helps but people aren't only going to stick to it and there won't always been the information there that they are looking for anyway. It is not easy to navigate through all the disinformation coming at you especially when it comes from a trusted source.

I'm really tired of Max treating the symptom each week rather than looking at the larger problem.  For all the actor's charisma, I'm getting tired of Max period.

Max also needs to make some decisions about Luna. I understand that he wants her to live with him but it seems like he barely sees her. Gwen and whatever babysitters he's hiring are doing the heavy lifting. Maybe Gwen deliberately put Luna to bed early or maybe Luna really was tired after her day. It's no fun keeping a tired cranky baby up when she wants to sleep, especially since she would only get a half hour with Max. That's for his benefit, not as much for hers. If I were Gwen, I'd be getting really pissed off, in her sixties taking the train into the city very early in the morning so that she can be there for when Max wants to go to work and taking it back late at night, all for his convenience.

Max needs to decide what's important right now, his job crusades or spending time with Luna. It's like that expression that women are told "You can have it all but you can't have it all at once."

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

tbh I was expecting Max to hunt down some Chromebooks instead of, you know, hospital grade computers. I am pretty sure there are some computers for the kids Iggy has inpatient - why not have a pile of those donated to the psych department, then give the leftovers to the apartment residents?

I believe that Bloom is ridiculously wealthy - or did she end up giving up her trust fund? Wait, I think I remember that being the case.

Helen can live in her ballroom because before the series started, she was a celebrity doctor - seemed like a Doctor Oz without the quackery or the talk show (But she went on talk shows, I believe)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I don't think Helen did herself any favors with  her "I was abandoned first...I was ignored first" tirade on her niece.  I mean, I get that it's a complicated family history, but she sounded really self-centered.  that's how it came off to me, anyway.  I could see sitting her down and calmly going over the relationship issues, but just blurting that out looked immature.

• Love 1
On 5/2/2021 at 7:34 AM, TVForever said:

Also, signing on 100% with those believing that Max is headed for a custody battle with Grandma. She resented him moving Luna back home with him in the first place, and now she is clearly doing that passive-aggressive undermining of his connection to her. Max is the medical director of a large hospital; surely he is being paid enough to hire a full-time nanny to take care of Luna. Let Grandma visit, but that's all. 

In New York there is such a thing as grandparents' rights insofar as custody and/or visitation and Grandma is hitting all of the bullet points right now. Their child (Luna's mother) is dead, they have a preexisting relationship with Luna because Max sent her to them for a year (?) because of Covid, and she is providing some/more than half of the childcare. If Max can prove that she is starting to practice active parental alienation, then the custody battle could get ugly.

• Useful 2
(edited)
On 5/2/2021 at 11:36 AM, statsgirl said:

How did Dr. Uber afford that huge tree if she can't afford a place to stay?

Max also needs to make some decisions about Luna. I understand that he wants her to live with him but it seems like he barely sees her. Gwen and whatever babysitters he's hiring are doing the heavy lifting. Maybe Gwen deliberately put Luna to bed early or maybe Luna really was tired after her day. It's no fun keeping a tired cranky baby up when she wants to sleep, especially since she would only get a half hour with Max. That's for his benefit, not as much for hers. If I were Gwen, I'd be getting really pissed off, in her sixties taking the train into the city very early in the morning so that she can be there for when Max wants to go to work and taking it back late at night, all for his convenience.

Max needs to decide what's important right now, his job crusades or spending time with Luna. It's like that expression that women are told "You can have it all but you can't have it all at once."

And how did Dr. Uber pay for it since she apparently bought it online?  She certainly doesn't have a credit card.

If I were Gwen, I'd also be pissed off.  Max begged her to spend several long days every week including a train ride 2 hours each way - during COVID - so she could look after his child.  I'm sure most days he doesn't get home close to her bedtime given his job.  And I'm willing to bet he didn't have the foresight to sign up on a waitlist at any nanny services.

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Leeds said:

And I'm willing to bet he didn't have the foresight to sign up on a waitlist at any nanny services.

If Max thinks he can solve systemic racism overnight, I don't see much 'foresight' from him, and probably just assumed his problem would be solved when he needed it  But to be fair, I think he assumed he'd be able to use the hospital daycare, did not anticipate Luna getting expelled.

• Love 1