Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Saving Grace

• Start Topic

For a second, I was like "Oh man, I have been really hoping for some Grace/Judd backstory and to really focus on them and their romance and...why is my Moneys Paw finger turning up?" but then it turned out alright, thank God. I didnt think they would actually kill off Grace or Judd, but between this and 911 I have been stressed

Grace and Judd are just all of the feels. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

This show would be tops if they got rid of everyone else and made it 100 percent Judd and Grace.

I could not agree with this statement more.  I would so definitely watch a show that entirely followed the lives of Judd and Grace.  

51 minutes ago, saoirse said:

Great casting for young Judd

This too.  I actually wondered if the young and old versions were related IRL.  There was a very strong resemblance in the face and speaking patterns. 

One nitpick -- I thought we had previously been told that Judd got the hand tattoo after his squad was killed.  Am I remembering that wrong or did they re-write the history tonight?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

One nitpick -- I thought we had previously been told that Judd got the hand tattoo after his squad was killed.  Am I remembering that wrong or did they re-write the history tonight?  

Wow, they totally skipped over that part of Judd's life, didn't they.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Yep....I'd dedicate an entire series just to Judd/Grace, with cameos from Tommy Vega and her family. This episode was top notch because it centered around the best couple on this show. It was great to see their relationship begin, and also I like that we had some solid good news by the end, that Grace would be ok after some physical therapy AND they have a baby on the way! Yes!

Seeing a bit of Judd's history was great as well. The casting was spot on, and I thought they wove in his childhood tragedy with meeting Grace very well.

• Love 11
53 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I could not agree with this statement more.  I would so definitely watch a show that entirely followed the lives of Judd and Grace.  

This too.  I actually wondered if the young and old versions were related IRL.  There was a very strong resemblance in the face and speaking patterns. 

I think he got a different tattoo?

Since I think that Judd is sex on a stick, I loved this episode. I had heart eyes for the whole hour. I’m glad Grace lived.  I like Grace but I was all “don’t you do this to Judd!”

5 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I agree with both watching Judd and Grace’S own show and about the kid that played young Judd. It doesn’t seem like they are related according to IMDb or Wikipedia but both look and voice were very similar to actor Jim Parrack. This is the kids only credit. 

I don’t remember the timeline established early on, but it seems like it would’ve been mentioned now. Maybe since the episode was about them getting together and they were already together when the team died, they just left it out. 

Fun fact:  That tattoo is the actor’s real tattoo. He said in an interview that he thought they would cover it, but they thought it worked for the character. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Every so often producers, casting agents & writers converge and hit it out of the park & smack middle of BULLSEYE ! These 2 actors are so perfect for their parts it gives one the shivers!

Completely agree about the sex appeal of Judd. Rob Lowe can just sit down ' cause Judd's the fantasy fuel. That's the man you want your daughter to marry. Heck, that's the man your Mama wants to marry.

The actress playing Grace is so physically beautiful and her voice effortlessly conveys the qualities of spiritual strength & serenity, faith and the greater Grace. Perfect casting.

I wonder if this story-couple has the effect on everyone as they have at our house ie: we just plain feel good after watching the episodes featuring more of Grace & Judd?

Glad this turned out to be a good series. Hope it lasts a good while😍

• Love 16

Do we know if Sierra McClain sings like her sister China?  Her speaking voice is so lovely I am just curious.  
I was wondering if the hand tattoo was the actors.  I figured it was since it hadn’t been brought up but then when they were talking about it yesterday I started wondering again. I would have been very impressed if it hadn’t because that would have been a-level planning.  But weaving the actors real life tattoo into the storyline makes more sense

• Love 2
10 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I'm calling it now

Hide contents

Baby Ryder is a girl, to be named Faith

Lordy!! I hope your call is right!!

Bless it. Grace and Judd are so good together. It wasn't surprising but that doesn't diminish how much I loved her telling him it was time and him refusing to leave her in the water.

And how happy was I that mamaGrace, daddyGrace and daddyJudd were there. Initially I thought they were just going to forget about the parents so I was even more happy to see them.

Yikes! So Judd is, partially at least responsible for the death of his friend. And then he lost all of his firefighter brothers. The survivor's guilt must be high. And if he had lost Grace!!!

I liked that we were given plausible reasons why Grace would make it (the water was cold). I also liked that they made the point that Grace didn't stay in Austin for Judd but because she found herself while volunteering at the prayer line and knew that leaving for school (I forgot which university she got into) was driven by her father and not her. 

So Judd was about to run into the tree to presumably kill himself and that's how he met Grace. Judd should be ashamed of himself though, courtin' over the prayer line. It was too funny when he'd call and hang up if Grace didn't answer the call. Yes Judd you were a little creepy and I'm glad you acknowledged that when you told Charles you were looking to move to follow Grace.

I loved that Judd lost touch with Grace so that they could meet in person because he recognized her voice. And I loved her "you're so tall" lol

So daddyGrace didn't want her marrying blue collar huh? Nice twist there. I did think Judd was going to propose anyway but instead he lies about loving Grace because he wants the best for her.  

I assumed Grace and Tommy knew each other first but it looks like Judd knew Tommie and Charles then Grace, thanks to Tommy, was added to the group.

When the doctor came into the room and started talking I said 'she's gonna be pregnant'. Predictable but I don't care! LOL

Needless to say, this is my favorite episode because Grace and Judd lol

9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

BEST.EPISODE.EVER. This show would be tops if they got rid of everyone else and made it 100 percent Judd and Grace.

giphy.gif

Edited by GodsBeloved
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Wow, they totally skipped over that part of Judd's life, didn't they.

What do you mean? They skipped over Judd losing his entire squad?

3 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

I don’t remember the timeline established early on, but it seems like it would’ve been mentioned now. Maybe since the episode was about them getting together and they were already together when the team died, they just left it out. 

I didn't think it needed to be mentioned since we already went through Judd losing his squad and we saw him coming to terms with that loss.

Edited by GodsBeloved
  • Love 5

The Judd and Grace backstory was as sweet as I expected it to be.   They are a mismatched couple that made it work because they understand and appreciate each other.    

Judd is a man with a lot of tragedy in his life and Grace’s voice just made it better for him.  I really like that their first contact was over the phone and she gave him good advice on how to relieve the guilt of a childhood mistake.   And that it was her voice that made him recognize her in person.     

It will be interesting to see their parts reversed if the show goes with a badly injured Grace and having  her need Judd’s Unconditional support.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

Do we know if Sierra McClain sings like her sister China?  Her speaking voice is so lovely I am just curious.  

Yes, she, China, and their sister Lauryn sang for a while, then stopped so Sierra and China could focus on their acting.  But they have formed a new group called "Thriii" and may be releasing new material.

Here's one of their songs

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DuxVeeqqAyf0&ved=2ahUKEwj457vS-YzwAhXvJzQIHSqwBIMQxa8BegQIBBAE&usg=AOvVaw04-i22ZjMbcYksI_C12AqE

-----------

I think it would have Judd confront the man who nearly killed him and Grace, but not attack him -- instead offering him a HARD path to forgiveness.  I think that would have shown his growth and also tied into the theme a bit better.

Edited by JH Lipton
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

I was wondering how doctors found out Grace was pregnant. That's such a trope, person surprised she is pregnant after being in a coma or something. Anyone know how that works?

Don't wives tell their husbands when they suspect they are pregnant, or wouldn't the husband suspect on his own, because, well, TMI for here. Especially a couple like Judd and Grace, so close and bonded to each other. The addition of the pregnant thing was too OTT for me. That would have been better if Grace got pregnant next episode IMO. I've missed some episodes so don't know if they had been trying to have kids.

The only part that bugged me (aside from the you're-pregnant thing) was Grace being in a coma with breathing apparatus, then a couple minutes later she's awake, no monitor or breathing help, and she's as bright as regular. I'd think when one comes out of a coma that person would be sort of drowsy and goofy, not all articulate. But, having never been in a coma or knocked out by an accident, this is JMHO.

Don't hate me because I'm cranking on this episode. It was one of the best I've seen on tv for ages. I love Judd and Grace. The rest of the 911 crew can stay in the background, I just want to see more like this week with this couple.

Grace: Judd this is a prayer line

Judd: I know.  I just pray that you pick up.

---

Grace: Did you just call here and hang up on Brother Bob and Miss Patricia

Judd: I did because I'm a Sinnuhhh!

---

Judd with the lines!  Man, loved their phone conversation and their early courtship.  So lovely.  I just heart them so.   Their whole relationship is basically a romance novel.  Even the awkward post break up conversation and the jubilant 'she's pregnant' part. 

Really liked the young Judd casting.  Really well done, both by looks and acting.  The kid nailed him.  Even the actor they had for the younger version of his dad was a good resemblance.

Also why did I never realize how much taller Jim Parrack is than Sierra McClain?  He's a damned Sasquatch.  LOL.

The one thing that this ep fell down in imo, was in showing how very little the show had had a chance to develop the other 911 operators.  In the OG 911 we ate least know Sue and Josh and now this season May and we are getting to know Linda.  We don't know any other 911 ppl on this one and at the very least some of them would have been there for Grace as well.  But small quibbles.

Just a lovely episode.  They made us wait three whole episodes and another month before Judd and Grace even shared a scene but this was worth the wait.

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I was wondering how doctors found out Grace was pregnant. That's such a trope, person surprised she is pregnant after being in a coma or something. Anyone know how that works?

There would have been all sorts of blood tests done when Grace came in, especially since she was unconscious. Screening for pregnancy in women is very, very common. The doctors will need to be cautious about radiation and chemicals and medications so they definitely need to know. And patients lie. Or like Grace they don't know yet. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, DearEvette said:

The one thing that this ep fell down in imo, was in showing how very little the show had had a chance to develop the other 911 operators.  In the OG 911 we ate least know Sue and Josh and now this season May and we are getting to know Linda.  We don't know any other 911 ppl on this one and at the very least some of them would have been there for Grace as well.  But small quibbles.

That is one of my main complaints about this show.  But it took time to get to know the other 911 operators in Original Recipe. Maybe since she’ll be out for a while we’ll meet Austin’s Josh. 

• Love 1

I always enjoy watching Judd and Grace so this was a sweet episode. I was surprised they did the tragic background of Judd since the other 911 also did the character being responsible for deaths in his past.

On my first date with my 6’7 husband, I said you’re tall and he said you’re beautiful, so that part made me smile.

• Love 8

This episode just melted my cold, cold heart. 

My favorite part was Judd coming back to the house of his childhood friend's (now) old mother, to try to atone by fixing her porch and cleaning up her yard, painting her fence, etc. And it was in keeping with the spirit of the rest of the episode that she forgave him.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Jillybean said:

I really think Judd's childhood friend was far more culpable in his own death than Judd was. 

I agree. If the other kid hadn't been an idiot who stomped on the accelerator while Judd was trying to get control of the car they wouldn't have hit that tree.

The thing about guilt on TV (and real life!), it isn't rational.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Agree this was strong episode with the 2 best characters. I do find it funny that returning episodes for this and regular 9-1-1 had a drunk driver nearly killing a beloved family member (Grace/Albert), a character dealing with death of someone they were partially responsible for (Judd/Bobby) and pregnancy (Tommy & Grace/ Maddie) in both stories!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AheadofStraight said:

Noticed in the credits that Rob Lowe's son, John Owen, wrote this episode. Not positive, but I believe Rob said on his podcast that this is his first gig out of college. Impressive! 

Having a famous parent in the business is even better than talent, for getting jobs.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
16 hours ago, AheadofStraight said:

Noticed in the credits that Rob Lowe's son, John Owen, wrote this episode.

He needs to write more. This was the best episode ever. Even the dialogue was spot on, like when Judd and Grace met again in the waiting room, Grace's reply to Judd as to whether she was seeing anyone was ... well, really something.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, ouinason said:

The themes of both shows were so similar, I wonder if it was coordinated

Yeah. I wondered if March or April was MADD month, but, no, December is MADD’s National Impaired Driving Prevention Month, which makes sense because of the extra drinking and driving around the holidays. 

• Love 1

The only part that bugged me (aside from the you're-pregnant thing) was Grace being in a coma with breathing apparatus, then a couple minutes later she's awake, no monitor or breathing help, and she's as bright as regular. I'd think when one comes out of a coma that person would be sort of drowsy and goofy, not all articulate. But, having never been in a coma or knocked out by an accident, this is JMHO.

TV comas are not true to life. There are degrees of consciousness and yes, you come out of one very gradually. Also, you don't just lie there in a hospital bed, they try to get you up and around or else you get bed sores.