Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E14: Henny, I Shrunk The Drag Queens!

• Start Topic

Why do Ru and the judges never mention Kandy’s god awful makeup?

And damning Rose with faint praise.   I was surprised they gave her the win, although IMO she did deserve it.  

• Love 17

They have some nerve talking about representation after bringing Loni Love's racist ass on every other week. It feels awful as a mixed race person to see her, and worse to see nobody else has a problem with it. Fuck them. 

They decided Kandy was a good narrator weeks ago, I think that's really why she's stayed. They tried to make me think Olivia was a secret diva, failed at that, but she didn't play the name game. Hence, she's gone. It's better that way, I think this season won't be remembered fondly, though maybe she will (editing be damned). 

Oh well. Hopefully all stars starts in three weeks and this will be buried. Plus Spain and Australia! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Dammit Ru. She's going to win, isn't she? Did no one learn from last season? There were huge struggles right from jump with *redacted* and then again at the end when they had to figure out how to do a virtual finale. But the "villain" got edited out as much as possible, and it was an amazing and charming season of tv. Why do they do this?

• Love 6

The wrong queen went home. They decided a long time ago that Kandy would make it to the end.  So, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a final four instead of final three.  

• Love 7

I wouldn’t go so far as to call this the worst season, because both Symone and Rosé are incredibly talented and charming, and while I wouldn’t give the win to Gottmik, she’s bringing something new and important to the show, and has steadily improved throughout the season. I never has any doubt that Kandy would make it to top 4, and for me, Olivia (and her shtick) was long past her expiration date. Still, I’ll be furious if Kandy isn’t the next elimination. The best thing I can say about Kandy is that she isn’t quite as awful as Silky Ganache.

• Love 11

I didn’t like this challenge at all. The queens had so few lines it didn’t matter what their character was supposed to be. Kandy always does Kandy and Gottmik always does the ditzy Paris Hilton thing. Kandy’s outfit, hair and makeup was awful and Olivia’s take on a pocket was just as valid as the others. 

• Love 14

“Henny, I Shrunk the Drag Queens” was awful.  I mean seriously one of the worst acting challenges in the history...or herstory...of this show.  Everyone defaulted to playing their usual shtick and no one stood out as a result.  Rosé won by being vaguely outside of the expected and looking cute on the runway.  But at this stage of the competition, someone should have wowed us.  Gottmik should have gone for the butch queen, being the most feminine of them.  Olivia ought to have played Kandy’s part (and not smiled through it!), etc.  Now is your time to shine and show us you’re “America’s Next Drag Superstar”, not play it safe and last another episode.

I know everyone wants to make the top four, but I feel like this final four was pretty well decided from day one.  It doesn’t feel exciting, or competitive, or even terribly interesting.  It just feels like everyone is following the script.  I actually like Rosé and Symone a lot, and I like Gottmik, though not as much as I used to.  I was bored with Olivia so Kandy staying is fine, but I wish Denali or even Utica was here in her place.

• Love 14
19 minutes ago, rlc said:

I wouldn’t go so far as to call this the worst season, because both Symone and Rosé are incredibly talented and charming, and while I wouldn’t give the win to Gottmik, she’s bringing something new and important to the show, and has steadily improved throughout the season. I never has any doubt that Kandy would make it to top 4, and for me, Olivia (and her shtick) was long past her expiration date. Still, I’ll be furious if Kandy isn’t the next elimination. The best thing I can say about Kandy is that she isn’t quite as awful as Silky Ganache.

Agree with everything. I just think Kandy is one of the worst! And a very talented, polished queen like Denali was criminally robbed. Season 11 takes the crown for worst season ever.

• Love 8

I was ready for Olivia and Kandy to go... I like Olivia but I agree she still has some self discovery/growth to do. Kandy also has some needed growth... it would have been nice for more people to go against type in this acting challenge, which I think Symone was trying to do a bit, but of course Kandy got her way in being the "villain" in the story. Gottmik and Olivia both played the same kind of character they always play. I do think Rose deserved the win, she and Symone had it together the best for the acting challenge. 

Their runway looks were also the best. Sure, Gottmik was creative, but watches aren't pockets... and it definitely played as a "watch" runway to me... it still looked good, but still.. I'm glad someone else won. 

Kandy's outfit and makeup just seemed like a mess... She looked good in the challenge. 

I'm ready for the season to be over, sad to say.... 

• Love 10

Carson, on Kandy: “She could read the phone book, and we’d laugh.”

Okay, at this point, seek help, judges.  Seriously, I hope they’re being blackmailed or paid off because otherwise I’m starting to become deeply, deeply, deeply concerned and maybe they shouldn’t be doing things like operating heavy machinery.

“Henny, I Shrunk the Drag Queens” was awful.  I mean seriously one of the worst acting challenges in the history...or herstory...of this show.

Ohmigod, I’m so glad you said that, it felt like it lasted eight hours.  Eight long, looooooooooong hours.  You know how badly written the skit was in that they went ahead and gave away all the “jokes” (and I’m being extremely generous with that term) when they were rehearsing.  They almost always save something for when they show the actual skit, but there was so little here to begin with they had absolutely nothing left.

I know everyone wants to make the top four, but I feel like this final four was pretty well decided from day one.  It doesn’t feel exciting, or competitive, or even terribly interesting. 

It definitely feels like we’re just going down the list of the judge’s pre-ordained choices this season, and it is boring as hell, but what I’m afraid of is Ru’s tendency to manufacture a “surprise” near the end (it usually happens with either the top five or top four) where she eliminates someone people really like.  I swear to God if Ru pulls some garbage and eliminates Symone or something next week, I’m out for the season.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
19 minutes ago, bobbyjoe said:

Carson, on Kandy: “She could read the phone book, and we’d laugh.”

Okay, at this point, seek help, judges.  Seriously, I hope they’re being blackmailed or paid off because otherwise I’m starting to become deeply, deeply, deeply concerned and maybe they shouldn’t be doing things like operating heavy machinery.

That was almost as revolting as Loni Love’s comparison last week where she deemed Kandy Muse the Don Rickles of drag! WTF are they all smoking? And what an insult to Don Rickles and real comedy queens like Lady Bunny and Bianca Del Rio!

• Love 9

I wasn't expecting to see Ru keep Olivia - the boot order can be seen a mile away this season, and the episode just rolls out some lame justification why it's xyz's time to go now - but man, that sloppy runway, the outfit, the wig, the makeup!, and then that mush-mouthed flailing lipsync from Kandy... it's not like she actually won that lipsync.

I haven't disliked a setup this much since the whole Rolaskatox thing, both times.

If a decent queen, at this point preferably Rosé, or else Symone, doesn't win... Grrr.

• Love 12

Oh you said it. Kandy has looked a mess this whole season. I couldn't understand her. Sick of Gottmick and that Paris Hilton voice she has been using since snatch game. I am more annoyed than entertained at this point. 

• Love 13

The irony/hypocrisy of Kandy criticizing Olivia for doing the same thing and essentially playing herself in the acting challenges when the judges want to see different sides of you. Kandy has done nothing but be Kandy in every single challenge regardless of the role, the lyrics, the lines, etc. but apparently it's only bad when other queens do that.

Rosé was the best in the acting challenge, but I feel I should mention that the bar was set pretty low due to everyone else just being themselves.

I have come to dread the acting challenges because the scripts are so terrible and this was no exception. Olivia was pretty bad at all the physical stuff. She was the most unbelievable when they were climbing up the side of the table, and even in flat shoes she had that same mincing walk.

WTF was Kandy wearing during the skit? Why was her dress cut high enough for me to see her black underwear? And WTF was she wearing on the runway? And do I even need to mention by weekly complaint about her awful makeup?

Symone's pocket look was my favorite on the runway, but I also liked Rosé's mod look.

• Love 15
(edited)

They should have flipped a coin or something to see who got Margarita, Symone shouldn't have had to passively aggressively give it to Kandy's entitled ass, though it's clear who gave the better performance.  I can't decide which was worse between that terrible script, Scarjo's zoom cameo and Kandy's talking heads this episode.  

Symone's look was so polished and fun, but Olivia's was pretty basic. GottMik looked amazing. I loved her Cleopatra-esque dress and the jacket reminded me of inspector gadget.  Kandy's was a really amateur arts and crafts project, not even remotely fashionable and the thirty second hatchet job she did on that cheap wig wasn't worthy of the top 4 either.  I'm so glad the judges finally called her out on it and her one-note performance. I wish she went home, but I knew from the beginning it wasn't going to happen.  I'm absolutely team Gotmik, if she wasn't around I don't think I would have even watched this season after they cast shitty pie last year.

Edited by Glade
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Impalace said:

Oh you said it. Kandy has looked a mess this whole season. I couldn't understand her. Sick of Gottmick and that Paris Hilton voice she has been using since snatch game. I am more annoyed than entertained at this point. 

Exactly!  In any other season one or more of the queens would have called Kandy out for being a mess every week and not being in their league. Nope, not this year. Something stinks.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Exactly!  In any other season one or more of the queens would have called Kandy out for being a mess every week and not being in their league. Nope, not this year. Something stinks.

Kandy is too volatile to call out, as we saw when Tamisha said she was arrogant, and again when Denali said on the runway that Kandy should go home. Why bother, unless you want the airtime and headache of a fight? 

I agree with those who thought the sketch was one of their worst. My partner loved it though, for reasons I don't get. I wish it'd been more improv. I don't think I need versatility from a queen, but I love the ones with strong characters and quick wit. I don't know how this was designed for anyone to showcase themselves, even had people played against type. It did show who will work hard and take direction, which I guess is good since WoW produces a lot of green screen youtube content. 

I was assuming next week was the end. Is there another elimination, then a virtual reunion, then the finale? 

• Love 5

I wonder if the rona had a huger effect on casting than they planned. Perhaps there were way fewer applications, since there was so much uncertainty about the virus and being able to film safely. I don't think my friend who has applied several times tried for this season, and she is way better than Kandy. I swear though, if someone else goes next week (or if Ru cowards out and makes it an F4) I may seriously be done (except of course if my friend makes it on.)

• Love 3
13 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Why do Ru and the judges never mention Kandy’s god awful makeup?

Right? There was one episode where Michelle was praising Kandi's makeup and I was like, What? Is she looking at what I'm looking at? Her makeup, hair, and costumes have all been awful. 

• Love 9

Honestly, I will take Kandy staying over sitting through Olivia’s dumb girl character one more time. 
We knew Kandy would be in the top four and here she is. I predict a “heartbreaking” elimination when Rose is sacrificed just to get people talking. 

• Love 4

I don't understand why Symone and Kandy fought so hard over the role of Dominique when Dominique was clearly the character that had the least amount of screen time and lines and also the character it would be the least fun to play because she was the only queen who didn't shrink. 

Kandy's outfit looked like one of those shower curtains that have pockets where you can put hair products and brushes and stuff. It even had hooks. As a matter of fact if she had gone for the real, see-through thing and put shampoo, a loofah and a couple rubber duckies in the pockets she might have actually looked better than this. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I couldn’t get too worked up over Olivia leaving this week.  There was no way she was going to win this thing, so it didn’t really matter. Too bad, though— she showed a lot of promise early on, but seemed to lose her way about mid-season.

But if Kandy doesn’t go next week, something is very wrong and there needs to be an investigation into bribes and blackmail. That runway look was tragic.

I continue to love Rosé, but I will be surprised if she takes the crown. She is polished, professional, and brings it every week— and that, I think, is her problem. She’s so good that the judges take her for granted, and seem to almost find her boring. They like to see people blossom and grow before their eyes. I think it makes them feel better about themselves, because they can take credit for being such awesome mentors. Rosé didn’t really need their mentorship, and came pre-bloomed. I think her only shot is to do something so unexpected that it catches them off guard and forces them to reevaluate her. Here’s hoping.

I don’t know what it is about Gottmik that turns me off, but I’m not thrilled about the prospect of her being Top 3. Better her than Kandy, though. And if Rosé and Symone aren’t Top 2, I’m boycotting next season.

I guess they bring everyone back to the lounge after elimination to do the Friends & Family video? Because if not, they’re totally spoiling the results— every week, the one who gets a video is the one who gets sent home.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I couldn’t get too worked up over Olivia leaving this week.  There was no way she was going to win this thing, so it didn’t really matter. Too bad, though— she showed a lot of promise early on, but seemed to lose her way about mid-season.

But if Kandy doesn’t go next week, something is very wrong and there needs to be an investigation into bribes and blackmail. That runway look was tragic.

I continue to love Rosé, but I will be surprised if she takes the crown. She is polished, professional, and brings it every week— and that, I think, is her problem. She’s so good that the judges take her for granted, and seem to almost find her boring. They like to see people blossom and grow before their eyes. I think it makes them feel better about themselves, because they can take credit for being such awesome mentors. Rosé didn’t really need their mentorship, and came pre-bloomed. I think her only shot is to do something so unexpected that it catches them off guard and forces them to reevaluate her. Here’s hoping.

I don’t know what it is about Gottmik that turns me off, but I’m not thrilled about the prospect of her being Top 3. Better her than Kandy, though. And if Rosé and Symone aren’t Top 2, I’m boycotting next season.

I guess they bring everyone back to the lounge after elimination to do the Friends & Family video? Because if not, they’re totally spoiling the results— every week, the one who gets a video is the one who gets sent home.

Same. I have thawed some in Gottmick but not much. I found her clique with Tina and Kandy obnoxious.  I think she is pretty one note and am not impressed. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

All I could think of when I saw that final four is that one of these is not like the others.  Kandy's makeup, hair, attire - those black underwear showing all of the time in the "movie" - awful, especially when compared to those of past seasons.

Love Rose but predict GotMik will win.

• Love 6

There are rumblings that this is the new worst season of Drag Race, and I don't know if I'd go that far... but it certainly ranking up there.  The sheer number of episodes are not helping.  We had four episodes this year with no eliminations and a week off for a COVID/filming special, and it is just too much.  I feel as though we have been over-exposed to these queens.  Even those like Symone, who at the beginning seemed so poise, regal, and naturally funny... is now coming off insecure, unfunny, and repetitive.    Likewise, she is my favorite to win the season.  So what does that say about the other girls?

Also, as much as I don't care for Kandy, she clearly won (or editing showed) that lip sync.  So I am not too pressed.  Olivia was working my nerves anyhow, so either going home was ok with me.

• Love 1

Kandy onstage looked like the booger from the Mucinex commercials. I find it hilarious that apparently multiple people told her that she would be the first one eliminated if she ever did Drag Race.

So is the expectation that there will be a final 3 instead of a final 4 this season? The intention with season 9 - 12 was for there to be a final 4, and the only reason we didn't get that last season was because Shitty Pie was disqualified.

I guess this season is expected to be different because next week isn't supposed to be the finale?

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I find it hilarious that apparently multiple people told her that she would be the first one eliminated if she ever did Drag Race.

Well, they were correct if the show was being honest in the eliminations. But, this year RuPaul is giving a big f-ck you to all the viewers.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 4/2/2021 at 8:43 PM, phoenix780 said:

They have some nerve talking about representation after bringing Loni Love's racist ass on every other week. It feels awful as a mixed race person to see her, and worse to see nobody else has a problem with it. Fuck them. 

They decided Kandy was a good narrator weeks ago, I think that's really why she's stayed. They tried to make me think Olivia was a secret diva, failed at that, but she didn't play the name game. Hence, she's gone. It's better that way, I think this season won't be remembered fondly, though maybe she will (editing be damned). 

Oh well. Hopefully all stars starts in three weeks and this will be buried. Plus Spain and Australia! 

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but what did Loni Love do that was racist? 

I may be alone on the Gottmik train, but I hope she can pull out the win. I started out loving Symone, and maybe I'm just fatigued at this point but I find myself being more intrigued by Mik now. Their track records are pretty much even if you consider Symone has been in the bottom twice now compared to Mik never having to lip sync. It could wind up being a photo finish...

Edited by le bordel chaud
  • Love 3

It pains me to say this, because I don't think Kandy ever should have gotten this far, but based purely on the challenge and the lip-sync, the right queen went home this episode.

Ugh, now I need a shower.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
On 4/2/2021 at 9:43 PM, DEL901 said:

And damning Rose with faint praise.   I was surprised they gave her the win, although IMO she did deserve it.

I hated this too.  I am so over the "Rose is too much of a perfectionist/too controlled/too polished" narrative.  Like, I get it being an issue if your perfectionism is causing you to do poorly (like Symone at the roast) or to be too stiff and unrelatable, but Rose has consistently been doing well throughout the season and to me she's very likeable, so this begins to look like a BS, lazy, America's Next Top Model-retread critique.  

One legitimate critique of Rose is that she's not really doing anything innovative with her drag-- she's "just" a really top-notch performer.  But I think if the judges critiqued Rose for not being future-of-drag enough, they'd have to critique everyone else up on the stage for the same thing.    

• Love 6

Well, the fix is in. Hopefully my beloved Symone and Rose will be on All Stars. Gottmik and her default dumb bitch schtick just annoys me. 

I refuse to like Kandy, Mr. Charles, stop trying to make fetch happen. Her runway looked like shit, face, hair, outfit. AWFUL. And the way she just got up and left when Cynthia Erivo was with the queens in Untucked was beyond rude. I know she was having panic attacks but damn, excuse yourself like people do. Also LOVE how she made sure to turn all attention back to her in Untucked during and after Olivia's family video. 

Bring on the end of this shit. Please. End our collective suffering. 

• Love 13
(edited)
13 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Well, they were correct if the show was being honest in the eliminations. But, this year RuPaul is giving a big f-ck you to all the viewers.

At least he's being consistent in that.

From the very first episode with a large number of the 'winners' in fact losing their lip syncs in order to set up this bogus 'winners v losers' narrative (and swell Kandy's head), to almost every elimination including someone who should not have even been in the bottom two; pets being saved; or never placed in the bottom two, regardless of their performance (cough, Gottmik); others auf'ed despite doing well in the main challenge, etc etc, and having excellent runway, while flounderers were praised (cough, Kandy) it's been one non-stop screw you to the viewers. I would be burning with low-grade fury if I was one of the earlier eliminated queens, but rising above it ultimately in true diva style, like Tamisha Iman.

Edited by violet and green
typo
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, ladle said:

One legitimate critique of Rose is that she's not really doing anything innovative with her drag

I retattle the retittle of your rebuttal : if Rose cannot win the war against her beard, how can she win the wars that we might have to fight for America?  Thank you. 

And not only is her hair line awful, but so is her contour line.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I really want to like Gottmik. I am glad a trans man drag queen is getting representation and I understand the barriers broken by this, but I just struggle with the vapid persona. I find a lot of Gottmik's drag to be similar, including makeup. I'm not inherently against one note looks (I rooted for Bianca who showed way less variation - Gottmik at least has a few silhouettes), but the persona with the looks irks me. 

Maybe part of it is that I can't reconcile the "punk" aesthetic with the vapid Paris Hilton persona.

I'd be okay with a Gottmik win though. So maybe this season is mostly just inspiring apathy?

• Love 5

Surely, I mean SURELY Kandy has to be the next queen eliminated?!

That haute pocket 'dress' was fucking hideous, bur hey it was made of multiple, poorly made and poorly sewn pockets, as opposed to Olivia's beautiful dress with only the two pockets, so ya know, POCKETS!!

WTF are the judges on? Seriously, if Kandy takes this season out, then as far as I'm concerned, that's just a big "fuck you" from Ru to her loyal viewers.

• Love 4
On 4/5/2021 at 12:10 PM, le bordel chaud said:

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but what did Loni Love do that was racist? 

I may be alone on the Gottmik train, but I hope she can pull out the win. I started out loving Symone, and maybe I'm just fatigued at this point but I find myself being more intrigued by Mik now. Their track records are pretty much even if you consider Symone has been in the bottom twice now compared to Mik never having to lip sync. It could wind up being a photo finish...

This is why I call her racist. 

https://madamenoire.com/1116389/loni-love-shan-boody/

I don't think it's cool to sit in a position of power and define someone's race for them, based on how they conform to your expectations. I think she's had a few more controversial comments, but I try to avoid her so they don't factor for me. Grand scheme of things, I get it's  minimal impact racism (except for how it perpetuates stereotypes), but it's personal to me and I'm no longer able to tolerate it. 

• Love 2