Type keyword(s) to search

Predator and Prey: Assault, harassment, and other aggressions in the entertainment industry

Message added by OtterMommy

The guidelines for this thread are in the first post.  Please familiarize yourself with them and check frequently as any changes or additions will be posted there (as well as in an in-thread post).

• Start Topic

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/metoo-five-years-later-times-up-1235228096/

Basically, the Time's Up Legal Defense Fund has been effective after the initial burst of fundraising, but the actual Time's Up organization doesn't seem to be doing anything anymore after three years of activity. The article cites many examples of when people involved in the organization had ties to or supported men who had been credibly accused of sexual harassment and sexual assault. 

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 11
17 hours ago, aradia22 said:

The article cites many examples of when people involved in the organization had ties to or supported men who had been credibly accused of sexual harassment and sexual assault.

I really wish that surprised me, but it doesn't. 

• Sad 4

Bill Murray's Latest Defense Rings Hollow In Light of his Extensive History of Abuse

I remember reading about production on a movie being suspended because of something Bill Murray had done, but I guess the specifics only came out recently:

The details of that incident were previously unknown, but a new report via The Puck reveals the offending incident and the settlement the studio paid in an attempt to keep it under wraps. Murray allegedly straddled a young production assistant while the two were in close proximity to a bed and kissed her on the mouth, although both were wearing masks at the time. Murray says he was being “jestful,’ but the production assistant was horrified and thought it was entirely sexual.

• Mind Blown 6
  • Sad 7

I’m really glad the details came out because he worked very hard to spin it as a difference of opinion because of the world being different than when he was a kid and something that could be resolved through talking. No surprise that the difference is that he still doesn’t view women’s thoughts, feelings or bodily autonomy as something that matters. 

Here’s more information about the other accusation that became public this week.

51 minutes ago, Dani said:

I’m really glad the details came out because he worked very hard to spin it as a difference of opinion because the world being different than when he was a kid and something that could be resolved through talking. No surprise that the difference is that he still doesn’t view women’s thoughts, feelings or bodily autonomy as something that matters. 

It is sad that that sort of thing was considered "harmless playfulness" or "boys being boys" back when he was younger. The even sadder thing is that he can't see that even if back then it was put up with by the women he tormented, that isn't because it was acceptable but because they knew that if they complained THEY would be the ones kicked off the set, not him. The worst part is, he hasn't learned that times change and just because he got away with being an asshole in the past doesn't mean he should keep being one. 

• Like 4
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

The worst part is, he hasn't learned that times change and just because he got away with being an asshole in the past doesn't mean he should keep being one. 

I have no sympathy for these older actors etc who are finally being told that this kind of behavior is unaccceptable (to say the least) but I do to some extent understand that they are products of a different time.  Not excusing them by any means but just saying I can understand why they figured they could pull this crap.  What I do not understand at all are these men (and yes Virginia it is still mostly men) who are much much younger, grew up in a very different time and yet they still think that they can get away with this kind of behavior.  And a lot of them are right.  For every story that finally gets told I am sure there are dozens we will never hear about.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Well, I've said before that I am not surprised about Bill Murray being such an ass. But it bears repeating.

Agreed. I've felt that way ever since it was reported what he did to Lucy Liu on the set of Charlie's Angels. 

• Like 5
  • Love 4

I'm sorry, Bill Murray isn't that old.   Sexual assault and consent were a thing when he was growing up.   he just CHOSE to act like it didn't matter.   PLENTY of men who grew up during the same time as Bill Murray have managed to get through life without treating women as sex objects.   The "product of his times" excuse is bullshit.

And I am sorry, but in what world is straddling someone and forcefully kissing them considered "jestful?"   that is also not a case of "times changed and I just don't know what I can do anymore."

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 11
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

I'm sorry, Bill Murray isn't that old.   Sexual assault and consent were a thing when he was growing up.   he just CHOSE to act like it didn't matter.   PLENTY of men who grew up during the same time as Bill Murray have managed to get through life without treating women as sex objects.   The "product of his times" excuse is bullshit.

If you are referencing my post the "product of his times" excuse is all too valid.  You don't need to look any further than most rape cases that made it to court to see that.  Men, especially powerful men, have been getting away with this kind of crap since the dawn of time.

• Sad 8
5 hours ago, Bookworm13 said:

I don’t remember hearing about this before, but there have been so many cases recently that it’s hard for me to keep them all straight. 

It was posted here when he was first arrested (after which other victims came forward), but that was several years ago -- with, as you said, so many other incidents in the interim, it's easy to forget.

• Sad 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 1
On 10/12/2022 at 3:13 AM, supposebly said:

Well, I've said before that I am not surprised about Bill Murray being such an ass. But it bears repeating.

People love to bring up his famous fight with Chevy Chase at SNL like it makes Murray a hero - He called out a guy who was being a complete dick so that makes him laudable. To me, it always sounded like two ego-driven narcissists having a pissing contest. That Chase wanted to be the big man on campus again and Murray resented that because he's the one who took Chase's place.

• Like 6
  • Love 8

Ghislaine Maxwell gave a jail interview that blows up Andrew's claims they weren't close.

Convicted sex-trafficker Ghislaine Maxwell undermined Prince Andrew’s assertions that he was never really that close to the convicted sex-trafficker, insisting in a bombshell jailhouse interview that he was actually a “dear friend.”

Speaking to Britain’s Mail on Sunday, the imprisoned socialite who helped Jeffrey Epstein procure girls said she has pity for Andrew: “I feel so bad for him.”

Andrew’s lawyers had argued in a legal filing back in January that a sexual assault lawsuit filed against him by Epstein accuser Virginia Giuffre should be dismissed because her claim that Maxwell and Prince Andrew were close friends was wrong. Giuffre had alleged that Maxwell helped Jeffrey Epstein groom her as part of their sex trafficking ring....

Told that Andrew had apparently sought to distance himself from her, Maxwell seemed to suggest that his claim had been a strategic, scandal-dodging maneuver.

“Yes, I follow what is happening to him. He is paying such a price for the association [with Jeffrey Epstein]. I consider him a dear friend… I care about him,” she said.

• Useful 5

Former Hedley frontman Jacob Hoggard sentenced to 5 years in prison for sexual assault

Canadian musician Jacob Hoggard was sentenced to five years in prison by a Toronto judge on Thursday.

It was the third and final day of a sentencing hearing that began earlier this month. 

Hoggard, the former lead singer of rock band Hedley, was found guilty of sexual assault causing bodily harm in June after raping an Ottawa woman in 2016.

• Sad 2

This team got a win, at least. Superfly actor Kaalan Walker gets 50 years for rape sentence.

Walker, 27, was sentenced Monday in Superior Court in Los Angeles following his April conviction on three counts of forcible rape, one count of assault to commit oral copulation, two counts of statutory rape and two counts of rape by intoxication....Prosecutors said Walker used social media to contact aspiring models and offer them phony professional opportunities so they would meet him, then assaulted them.

• Applause 2

Now, TMZ reports that Depp will be the first man featured in this year’s Savage X Fenty show as one of the evening’s “star” moments (scare quotes theirs).

[...] To Savage X Fenty’s credit, I guess, Depp reportedly won’t be walking the runway itself, but rather featured as a surprise guest. Sources told TMZ that the vibe would be “cool and chic” and that it would include “all aspects of Johnny’s artistry — music, modeling, and acting.” 

https://www.gawker.com/culture/savage-x-fenty-show-to-feature-withering-husk-of-johnny-depp

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

That link points out that people are trying to bring Depp back to the mainstream. Why? Even without him beating up Amber Heard, he's old and no longer any good. He's had his time in the sun. He hasn't done anything worthwhile in years. There's a thousand younger, more talented, better-looking, and less problematic actors and musicians out there.

Compare, say, Keanu Reeves, a year younger. What's the worst thing people say? He's a bit wooden. But everyone knows his limitations, including him. He's not going to be in a movie with, say, Anthony Hopkins.

So again, why are they trying to bring Depp back?

• Like 4
  • Love 15
17 minutes ago, Anduin said:

I don't get it either. About ten years ago when his career resurged due to Pirate's I could see Disney trying to whitewash him and bring him back to save their new franchise, but that ship has long since sunk. He was already replaced in that Harry Potter franchise. I can't think of anything that needs him anymore. Just let him drift off into oblivion and find the next version of him, preferably with far less baggage/issues. 

• Like 3
  • Love 7
37 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I don't get it either. About ten years ago when his career resurged due to Pirate's I could see Disney trying to whitewash him and bring him back to save their new franchise, but that ship has long since sunk. He was already replaced in that Harry Potter franchise. I can't think of anything that needs him anymore. Just let him drift off into oblivion and find the next version of him, preferably with far less baggage/issues. 

Not only is it frustrating, it doesn't make sense. If you hang around with an arsehole, people are going to start thinking you're an arsehole too.

• Like 2
  • Love 6

Because he was prior to 2010 seen and regarded as a talented actor. Maybe not to everyone's taste, but he did have that reputation, body of work, and award cred to back it up. Much like say Robert De Niro, who has been phoning it in since mostly since the early 2000s, people still hope to catch a performance where he does a good job.

• Love 8
On 10/11/2022 at 7:48 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

For every story that finally gets told I am sure there are dozens we will never hear about.

I remember Virginia Madsen was asked about her experience playing Lisa in Class, a teen sex comedy from 1983 starring Rob Lowe and Andrew McCarthy. She said something along the lines of, "Oh, eww. I don't talk about that. Those guys were assholes to me. They were really shitty. It was bad. Bad memories." Says a lot without saying much.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1
  • Sad 10
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
49 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I remember Virginia Madsen was asked about her experience playing Lisa in Class, a teen sex comedy from 1983 starring Rob Lowe and Andrew McCarthy. She said something along the lines of, "Oh, eww. I don't talk about that. Those guys were assholes to me. Bad memories." Says a lot without saying much.

I am not surprised about Rob Lowe. So smarmy and fake and thinks he is a superstar.

• Like 6
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, rcc said:

I am not surprised about Rob Lowe. So smarmy and fake and thinks he is a superstar.

For what it's worth, this was Rob Lowe's response:

Her big part in that movie required her shirt to get ripped off, and looking back, it couldn’t be a more egregious, vintage, lowbrow, 1980s Porky’s-esque, shoehorned-in moment. Like, you would never have that moment in a movie that aspired to be what that movie did today. So my guess is a lot of it is predicated on that, and justifiably so. You know, she and I had a really long relationship after that movie… Anyway, I was surprised to see that. But I love her, and I can imagine it was not much fun to do that big sequence with a bunch of laughing, ogling frat-boy actors. I mean, can you imagine putting up with me, [John] Cusack, Alan Ruck, and Andrew McCarthy at 18?

- Rob Lowe, AV Club interview 2017

It kind of feels like he's basically saying, "Well, I guess it wasn't fun for her that me and a bunch of guys made her feel like a piece of shit in her first role, but...we were just being our characters, plus we boned afterwards, so it's all okay."

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

It kind of feels like he's basically saying, "Well, I guess it wasn't fun for her that me and a bunch of guys made her feel like a piece of shit in her first role, but...we were just being our characters, plus we boned afterwards, so it's all okay."

Yeah, total "boys will be boys" excuse and honestly, I think if it was just about that one scene she would have said "there was this one scene..." but it sounds more like her entire time on that set sucked and he is just trying to pretend it was the script's fault and he was just reacting the way any guy would. BOOO Never liked him.

I also forget that he and Chad Lowe are actually related because Chad seems like a decent person. Sadly, I think that is why Rob had the bigger career. Hollywood thinks we all love the Bad Boys. Sadly, they are right for a lot of people. :(

• Like 3
  • Love 6
On 11/4/2022 at 5:13 AM, aradia22 said:

Good for her! As a survivor, I think she can see the truth.

On 11/4/2022 at 8:00 PM, Anduin said:

That link points out that people are trying to bring Depp back to the mainstream. Why? Even without him beating up Amber Heard, he's old and no longer any good. He's had his time in the sun. He hasn't done anything worthwhile in years. There's a thousand younger, more talented, better-looking, and less problematic actors and musicians out there.

Compare, say, Keanu Reeves, a year younger. What's the worst thing people say? He's a bit wooden. But everyone knows his limitations, including him. He's not going to be in a movie with, say, Anthony Hopkins.

“He’s old.” Sounds pretty ageist to me. Maybe all older actors you personally don’t like should be put out to pasture. There’s a simple solution for those with the opinion that he’s no good and hasn’t produced anything you like. Don’t watch his movies or listen to his music. I love his movies, but have no interest in his music, so I don’t listen to it. It’s not really up to you to decide someone shouldn’t have a career at all because you don’t like them. Unlike some people, the people who want to work with him know him, like him, and/or think he’s talented. Maybe that’s why they want to “bring him back.” They realize he hasn’t been convicted of anything and has every right to work. That and he has millions of fans who do like him.

19 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I remember Virginia Madsen was asked about her experience playing Lisa in Class, a teen sex comedy from 1983 starring Rob Lowe and Andrew McCarthy. She said something along the lines of, "Oh, eww. I don't talk about that. Those guys were assholes to me. They were really shitty. It was bad. Bad memories." Says a lot without saying much.

To me all it says is this one person had a bad experience. Just because she says they were assholes doesn’t mean they were or that they’re assholes in general. Since she gives no details, you can basically choose to interpret it however you’re inclined to. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Good for her! As a survivor, I think she can see the truth.

“He’s old.” Sounds pretty ageist to me. Maybe all older actors you personally don’t like should be put out to pasture. There’s a simple solution for those with the opinion that he’s no good and hasn’t produced anything you like. Don’t watch his movies or listen to his music. I love his movies, but have no interest in his music, so I don’t listen to it. It’s not really up to you to decide someone shouldn’t have a career at all because you don’t like them. Unlike some people, the people who want to work with him know him, like him, and/or think he’s talented. Maybe that’s why they want to “bring him back.” They realize he hasn’t been convicted of anything and has every right to work. That and he has millions of fans who do like him.

To me all it says is this one person had a bad experience. Just because she says they were assholes doesn’t mean they were or that they’re assholes in general. Since she gives no details, you can basically choose to interpret it however you’re inclined to. 

Rob Lowe also basically said that they were assholes. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 6
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Lowe, if anything, confirmed that she was not treated with respect on set.  Lowe admits they were laughing, ogling and behaving like frat boys on set while she was filming a scene where her shirt was removed.  Definitely a**holes.

But also only 18 at the time.  I'm not excusing it but I do expect a different level of behavior from mature adult men who have been out of high school for awhile - I'd be interested to learn how the director and other behind the scenes people on set were acting while this was going on, for instance. 

I'm prepared to give credit if someone can grow up, acknowledge they were wrong and make better choices going forward.  I have no idea if this actually, of course, applies to Rob Lowe or Andrew McCarthy.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
48 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I do expect a different level of behavior from mature adult men who have been out of high school for awhile

What worries me about statements like this (and this isn't directed at @Eliabeth Anne directly), we as a society don't expect respectful behavior from young men and then all of a sudden, we expect them to know what to do or not to do. It still reeks of that awful "boys will be boys" attitude. I expect young men not to be mysogynistic assholes. At any age.

I agree, I appreciate people who recognize their mistakes from the past and have changed. Again, maybe Rob Lowe has a great publicist who tells him what to say. Or not. I hope this wasn't just talk. 

I'm middle-aged now and I so hope very much things are changing for teenagers compared to me growing up. I don't want young men and women to grow up in a society anymore where young men's bad behavior is excused all the time.

• Like 4
  • Applause 5
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, supposebly said:

I don't want young men and women to grow up in a society anymore where young men's bad behavior is excused all the time.

I think there is a difference between acknowledging immaturity and excusing bad behavior.  That said I completely agree with you.  For a lot of people "boys will be boys" is a get out of jail free card that covers a lot of abusive crap.

• Sad 2
  • Love 9
17 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I don't want young men and women to grow up in a society anymore where young men's bad behavior is excused all the time.

How many times do we hear we have to teach our daughters what to do to avoid being assaulted?  How about we teach our sons not to assault women?

13 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

For a lot of people "boys will be boys" is a get out of jail free card that covers a lot of abusive crap.

Also how many times do we hear when a young man is accused of sexual assault/harassment how it's a shame his life will be ruined?  I will save my sympathy for the women who are assaulted and hope their lives aren't ruined.  

1 hour ago, Notabug said:

Rihanna is not a very good judge of people, IMO. 

I can only assume she wants Depp in her fashion show (it is a fashion show right?) for the publicity.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 7
  • Love 11
Just now, bluegirl147 said:

I can only assume she wants Depp in her fashion show (it is a fashion show right?) for the publicity.  

Makes me wonder what sort of publicity she is looking for; I would think he's got a lot of baggage at this point.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Makes me wonder what sort of publicity she is looking for; I would think he's got a lot of baggage at this point.

There is a lot of overlap between the target client of SavageXFenty and Depp stans.  The whole line is cheap lingerie marked up a ridiculous amount unless you are a monthly subscriber.  It's $50 a month and I believe you get one set at that price plus the ability to purchase more at a discount.  The target client for the company is a woman who cares enough to buy some sexy lingerie (almost all of the offerings are special occasion pieces and not every day) but who's too flighty or busy to cancel.  They keep on getting charged monthly but only buying sporadically.  The business model is predatory, and as a bonus cancelling your subscription is difficult.  

I side-eye every celebrity who runs this time of business model from Kimora Lee Simmons to Kate Hudson and now Lizzo.  

• Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 7
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Notabug said:

Lowe, if anything, confirmed that she was not treated with respect on set.  Lowe admits they were laughing, ogling and behaving like frat boys on set while she was filming a scene where her shirt was removed.  Definitely a**holes.

As a survivor who went back to the man who beat her multiple times before getting out; I don't think Rihanna's opinion of Depp is necessarily based on the truth.  Quite the opposite.

Rihanna has said she has forgiven Chris Brown for beating her and they are friends.  Since their breakup, multiple other women have charged him with assault.  He keeps on beating women and Rihanna says she's his friend.  Rihanna is not a very good judge of people, IMO. 

Rihanna lost me when she did the Oprah interview after Chris Brown beat her & said “I just felt like he made that mistake because he needed help,” she told Oprah, crying. “And who's going to help him? Nobody is going to say he needs help. Everybody is going to say he's a monster without looking at the source. I was more concerned about him.” I haven't been interested in her since. It doesn't surprise me that Depp is in her show, I guess R Kelly couldn't get a special release from jail to do it.

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

But also only 18 at the time.  I'm not excusing it but I do expect a different level of behavior from mature adult men who have been out of high school for awhile - I'd be interested to learn how the director and other behind the scenes people on set were acting while this was going on, for instance. 

I'm prepared to give credit if someone can grow up, acknowledge they were wrong and make better choices going forward.  I have no idea if this actually, of course, applies to Rob Lowe or Andrew McCarthy.

I don’t buy into the “boys will be boys” excuses for that kind of behavior. 

• Love 5

I'd be interested to learn how the director and other behind the scenes people on set were acting while this was going on, for instance.

Definitely this. That's what gets me about some of these entertainment stories. If it's happening on set, unless someone is being cornered away from everyone else, other people are complicit (and perhaps also participating in the harassment, ostracization, etc.).

• Like 7
19 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

But also only 18 at the time.  I'm not excusing it but I do expect a different level of behavior from mature adult men who have been out of high school for awhile

Not excusing it either, but we all did stupid stuff when we were young and dumb.   Men AND women.    What matters is -- did you grow out of doing stupid stuff or did you continue doing it?    Can't remember who said it but "When we know better we do better."    Mistakes are one thing.   Continuing to behave the same way and NOT TRYING TO FIX THE MISTAKE (which is more than just saying sorry) is another thing.

As for Rihanna, I don't blame her in the moment right after for trying to excuse it.   Many victims of abuse do.   Long before the first blow is struck, the victim is taught its all their fault and no one will care for them like the abuser does.   It takes the average victim of abuse  SEVEN tries to successfully leave.   Many believe that if they just behave better, or the personn is really sorry this time and promises to get help (see above) it will be different.   So I don't blame Rihanna for what she said and did right after the beating.   it's that years later while they are no longer together that she remains friends with him.   Honey wake up, you are still under his control.

• Like 1
  • Love 11
  • I'm not entirely sure that Rhiannon has ever been completely honest re her feelings over Chris Brown in the public sphere (yes, even with Miss Winfrey)- much less has ever actually [wrongly] blamed herself for him abusing her. I don't know her from Eve but it wouldn't come as a total surprise if she later come  to his defense as a means to attempt to guilt-trip Miss Winfrey for having earlier publicly called out their toxic bond!

I also wouldn't be surprised if she is oblivious to how Mr. Depp abused Miss Heard.

Sorry to say that not all victims wind up become compassionate towards other victims even if they themselves don't believe [correctly] they deserved their own abuse.

With over 7 billion folks out there, there are over 7 billion possible MO's and reactions to anything.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1