Type keyword(s) to search

Predator and Prey: Assault, harassment, and other aggressions in the entertainment industry

Message added by OtterMommy

The guidelines for this thread are in the first post.  Please familiarize yourself with them and check frequently as any changes or additions will be posted there (as well as in an in-thread post).

• Start Topic

Another thing about Johnny Depp is that he wasn't this alcoholic, drug-fueled mess when he met Amber. From all accounts the alcoholism and drug addiction really went off the rails these past few years.

Many people stay with alcoholics because these people are often very kind, generous people when they're not drunk. What people don't get is that long term alcohol abuse damages the brain, and sooner or later the anger, rage and irrational behavior are all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if Depp eventually had Wernicke-Korsakoff dementia.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

I just happened to see this today, & I thought everyone who finds it hard to believe people would believe Johnny Depp over Amber Heard would find this interesting. I was looking at the BarbieStyle IG account. This is the official Barbie account for the doll run by Mattel & just shows her in different outfits & some new releases kind of stuff. People of course comment, & usually it's about how much they love Barbie & want the clothes she wearing, etc. Today I happened to look at the comments & one said "please unfollow Amber Heard". On a Mattel Barbie account. The comment has been deleted, but some people just can't get past thinking Captain Jack Sparrow is real.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

First off, @RealHousewife and @SunnyBeBe, I am so sorry that you went through such horrific experiences. Mine happened in my mid-30s, by a man I had known (or thought I knew) and trusted for years. I thought he was my friend, and I never saw it coming. Never. To this day, almost all men to me seem sinister in some way. 

Speaking of sinister, there's something about Fred Savage that gives off that vibe to me. He made a TV movie with Candace Cameron around 1996 where he played an abusive boyfriend and was a guest star in an early SVU as a man who acted as his own attorney, defending himself against rape charges. I found both performances very disturbing, almost too convincing - so this news doesn't surprise me. 

As for Johnny Depp and Amber Heard, these two are the very personification of a toxic couple, who never should have married in the first place. Neither of them looks good here.

Thank you PRAIRIE ROSE. ♥️ I'm so sorry for what you went through as well. It's a shame you can't even be safe with a friend you trusted for years. 

That's interesting. I never watched that movie. I used to act a little, and I find the craft fascinating. I'm not Meryl Streep, so for me to even bother with a role, I have to relate to a character at least a little bit. I need to understand them, feel their pain. If I were to ever get back into acting, I'd want to explore the darker stuff more, if I felt mentally healthy enough to take it on. I've always wondered what percentage of actors are so talented they can convincingly play monsters without being ones in real life. Acting teachers will often tell you not to use pain that's too great, too real, to get into a part-that it messes with your head. But I never became good enough to use thoughts that weren't very painful to get emotions and tears going. If I were to play someone who's been abused, harassed, feels tormented, it's not difficult for me. If you want me to play someone who's lost a grown child, despite my age, it would be difficult for me since I feel like a teenager going on 30 something. 

Reading what I have about Johnny and Amber, I'm happy being single and drama-free. 

• Love 5
On 5/7/2022 at 11:20 PM, MsTree said:

Appreciate the links/response, but I have to wonder if Depp really would have killed her, especially since he's claiming that she abused him!  I mean that would blow his entire case wide open, right?!?

I really don’t think that Depp was planning out this lawsuit when he was in the relationship or that you can apply logic to any of what happened. Or that a victim should act based on the assumption that the worst case scenario wouldn’t happen. There is nothing logical about abusing your partner or about staying in an abusive relationship. The mindset that a person would do x but would never do y is exactly how abusive situations escalate. 

I really wish that the cycle of abuse is something that was regularly taught. Abusers aren’t monsters 24/7. For long periods of time they can appear to be normal, apologetic and loving. There are massive amounts of manipulation and gaslighting that happens that undermines victims self esteem and sense of what is right and wrong. 
Step by Step Guide to Understanding the Cycle of Violence

image.jpeg.e0527ec84aa64b6d710c2fc78502df7e.jpeg

7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Thank you PRAIRIE ROSE. ♥️ I'm so sorry for what you went through as well. It's a shame you can't even be safe with a friend you trusted for years. 

That's interesting. I never watched that movie. I used to act a little, and I find the craft fascinating. I'm not Meryl Streep, so for me to even bother with a role, I have to relate to a character at least a little bit. I need to understand them, feel their pain. If I were to ever get back into acting, I'd want to explore the darker stuff more, if I felt mentally healthy enough to take it on. I've always wondered what percentage of actors are so talented they can convincingly play monsters without being ones in real life. Acting teachers will often tell you not to use pain that's too great, too real, to get into a part-that it messes with your head. But I never became good enough to use thoughts that weren't very painful to get emotions and tears going. If I were to play someone who's been abused, harassed, feels tormented, it's not difficult for me. If you want me to play someone who's lost a grown child, despite my age, it would be difficult for me since I feel like a teenager going on 30 something. 

Reading what I have about Johnny and Amber, I'm happy being single and drama-free. 

Here's the movie: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_One_Would_Tell

• Useful 4
On 5/7/2022 at 10:08 PM, Blergh said:

Come to think of it, when was the last time anyone from 'me too' expressed any public input? It seems to have been . . .not as vocal in recent months as it was at an earlier time. 

From what I can gather, there is no unified #MeToo organization.  It's only a hashtag, so there is no one to craft any statements on this trial.  I have seen support for Amber on Twitter, but because of the toxicity of the other side's stans, it is carefully worded as to pass by seemingly unnoticed.  I did notice at the beginning of the trial that some news organizations like NBC News did try to report on the trial and the underlying free speech issues, but again the toxic stans have made that kind of reporting impossible.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 11
14 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I did notice at the beginning of the trial that some news organizations like NBC News did try to report on the trial and the underlying free speech issues, but again the toxic stans have made that kind of reporting impossible.  

For whatever it's worth, the infotainment program Daily Blast Live had a body language expert on to analyze Amber Heard on the stand. Make of this what you will:

• Love 2

I happened to catch a portion of a report today from one of the entertainment shows. I believe it was Access Daily, but can't be positive. 

Regardless, they were talking about the trial and how Amber's testimony regarding her feelings for Johnny ("it was magical") was almost verbatim to that in a movie starring Gwenyth Paltrow. The hosts were accusing Amber of acting out a particular scene where Gwenyth gave a very similar description. They put Amber's words and Gwenyth's words side-by-side, and I hate to say it, but there were very distinct similarities.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MsTree said:

I happened to catch a portion of a report today from one of the entertainment shows. I believe it was Access Daily, but can't be positive. 

Regardless, they were talking about the trial and how Amber's testimony regarding her feelings for Johnny ("it was magical") was almost verbatim to that in a movie starring Gwenyth Paltrow. The hosts were accusing Amber of acting out a particular scene where Gwenyth gave a very similar description. They put Amber's words and Gwenyth's words side-by-side, and I hate to say it, but there were very distinct similarities.  

Amber Heard didn’t plagiarize movie quote during trial

But the claims are false, and video and news coverage of the trial does not show her making any such comments. 

After taking the stand for the first time on Wednesday, she answered questions such as her name, age, where she grew up and how she felt about the lawsuit, according to a nearly seven-hour video of the full proceedings posted to YouTube by several outlets. 

Heard eventually described how she met Depp, their relationship and later recounted alleged acts of physical violence by him. 

At one point, just over 30 minutes into her testimony, she stated: “We were secretly dating. It was beautiful. I felt like this man knew me and saw me in a way that no one else had. I felt he understood me. I felt he understood where I came from. I felt like when I was around Johnny, I felt like the most beautiful person in the whole world. You know, he made me feel seen. He made me feel like a million dollars.” 

She also described their time in a secret relationship as a “bubble,” and said they felt like they were in a “warm glow.” At other points in her testimony, she alleged that when Depp drank alcohol he would often “disappear” and “come back and be different.” 

Other social media users shared footage of this actual testimony, and compared it to the quote from “The Talented Mr. Ripley.” However, these remarks contain significant differences and Heard never delivered the film quote “verbatim,” as claimed.

You are going to see similar language from many women who have experienced love bombing. 

3 hours ago, inkworks said:

I’m sure Jennifer Garner has made similar comments about Ben Affleck. Maybe she’s a liar too. 

Question. Is it possible that AH and her team have some damning evidence up their sleeve that we just haven’t heard about yet?

To answer your question,  no.  Amber and her lawyers are not withholding evidence at this point.  The trial has become a circus and the actual case has been lost because of this.  

The trial boils down to this.  In 2018, Amber wrote an op-ed in the Washington Post where she wrote. 

On 5/6/2022 at 9:42 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I've read the op-ed that this whole case hinges on, and Amber never states Johnny abused her.  The whole case hinges on one sentence-- "Then two years ago, I became a public figure representing domestic abuse, and I felt the full force of our culture’s wrath for women who speak out. 

Johnny is saying that sentence is false, that because of it he has suffered financially, that it rises to the legal definition of slander and therefore Amber must pay.  The onus is on Johnny to prove she was lying and that Amber did it with the intent to harm him and his reputation.   All Amber has to do is provide enough evidence to reasonable show she was not out to harm Johnny when she wrote that one sentence and that she genuinely believed what she wrote.  

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

To answer your question,  no.  Amber and her lawyers are not withholding evidence at this point.  The trial has become a circus and the actual case has been lost because of this.  

The trial boils down to this.  In 2018, Amber wrote an op-ed in the Washington Post where she wrote. 

Johnny is saying that sentence is false, that because of it he has suffered financially, that it rises to the legal definition of slander and therefore Amber must pay.  The onus is on Johnny to prove she was lying and that Amber did it with the intent to harm him and his reputation.   All Amber has to do is provide enough evidence to reasonable show she was not out to harm Johnny when she wrote that one sentence and that she genuinely believed what she wrote.  

Thanks. I know the trial is a defamation trial but I guess I was just hoping she had some sort of silver bullet piece of evidence that would show people once and for all that she’s not lying about the abuse. Something that would clear her name in the court of public opinion. Wishful thinking on my part.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, inkworks said:

Thanks. I know the trial is a defamation trial but I guess I was just hoping she had some sort of silver bullet piece of evidence that would show people once and for all that she’s not lying about the abuse. Something that would clear her name in the court of public opinion. Wishful thinking on my part.

She could have a signed confession from Depp and his fans would still be out for her blood.  Nothing's going to change their minds. 

I just hope the jury can render an impartial verdict. 

• Love 16

A judge on Tuesday found celebrity chef Mario Batali not guilty of on sexual misconduct charges, but still chastised him about the 2017 incident at a Boston restaurant that led to charges.

Batali was acquitted of alleged indecent assault and battery, according to a finding by Boston Municipal Court Judge James Stanton.

The judge said there were “credibility" issues with the complaining witness that led to reasonable doubt.

Listening the clip on the nbc website, the judge put it on her lawyers that they hadn't established their case to the standard of "beyond a reasonable doubt" and found that (presumably Batali's side had shown that) there was enough evidence of credibility issues with the accuser to imply a motive of "financial gain." This is not the rape case. I don't know if that one was able to proceed. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

But Depp fans on TikTok are not concerned with what Heard has to say about their troubled idol on the stand. Instead, they are focused on Depp’s seemingly anodyne interactions with a female lawyer on his team. These freaks hope Depp and his counsel are carrying on a secret but deeply romantic affair outside the courtroom.

The attorney in question is Camille Vasquez, a litigation associate at Brown Rudnick. One of her fan accounts on TikTok (yes, even Depp’s lawyers have fan accounts now) has been posting several clips of Depp and Vasquez interacting at the Plaintiff’s table throughout the case. 

[...] There are hundreds more videos like this on the platform. Perhaps this unfortunate trend prompted someone connected to Vasquez to refute the idea that she is dating her client to TMZ. Sources connected to the attorney told the site today that the speculation is “nothing more than fan fiction from social media.” The source added that Vasquez is happily dating a British real estate agent.

https://www.gawker.com/celebrity/is-johnny-depp-fucking-his-lawyer-tiktok-camille-vasquez

These people need hobbies.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Listening the clip on the nbc website, the judge put it on her lawyers that they hadn't established their case to the standard of "beyond a reasonable doubt" and found that (presumably Batali's side had shown that) there was enough evidence of credibility issues with the accuser to imply a motive of "financial gain." This is not the rape case. I don't know if that one was able to proceed. 

I haven’t been following this case at all and am confused. Was it a criminal or civil case? “Beyond a reasonable doubt” and acquittal refer to a criminal case but her lawyers implies a civil case. If it’s a criminal case the failure to sufficiently prove he was guilty would be on the prosecutors and not the accuser or her lawyers. 

10 minutes ago, Dani said:

I haven’t been following this case at all and am confused. Was it a criminal or civil case? “Beyond a reasonable doubt” and acquittal refer to a criminal case but her lawyers implies a civil case. If it’s a criminal case the failure to sufficiently prove he was guilty would be on the prosecutors and not the accuser or her lawyers. 

This was a criminal case. There is a civil case, which to my knowledge hasn’t been scheduled yet.

• Useful 6
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

These people need hobbies.

They need different hobbies. They should try Wordle.

I do have a question for those who have been following this more closely: has anyone from any of the movie studios testified that Amber's op-ed was why they severed contracts or stopped offering him roles? If not then I don't see how his lawyers can prove it was the reason. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I do have a question for those who have been following this more closely: has anyone from any of the movie studios testified that Amber's op-ed was why they severed contracts or stopped offering him roles? If not then I don't see how his lawyers can prove it was the reason. 

No. To prove that part his lawyers used Depp’s managers, an entertainment lawyer, a consulting firm and a forensic accountant. Personally, I think that part of his case was very weak. They proved his career is in the toilet but a good defense on her part can poke a lot of holes in why. 

The list of people set to testify on Heard’s behalf is very interesting. Like Depp’s ex Ellen Barkin who also testified in the UK trial. Depp claims she is holding a grudge. Also Depp’s former lawyer who he tried to sue in the past. The most interesting one to me is one of Depp’s sisters. One testified for him and the other is testifying for Heard. 

(edited)
18 hours ago, inkworks said:

In the court of public opinion, I doubt that silver bullet is going to come from the current happenings.  Maybe time will lead people to take a second look at the events but the trial has become too much of a circus that's about things other than what the trial is about. 

For instance:

Johnny has a history of violence. 

In 1989, he was arrested for attacking a security guard who asked him to leave the premises due to his drunken behavior.

Amber Heard was 3 at that time.  He was 26--the same age Amber was when he met her 23 years later.

In 1994, he was arrested after destroying a hotel room--allegedly during a fight with Kate Moss. (Something he apparently also did in the early 90s when dating Winona Ryder. )

Amber Heard was 8 at the time.

There have been more incidents scattered across his history long before he met Amber.  But the history of violence doesn't seem to matter.

He has already had one court case about this go against him.  Somehow, that doesn't seem to matter.

People aren't even blinking an eye about the misogyny in his texts that are released because of the trial.

Quite a few of his witnesses rely on him for their status/livelihood and have communications that directly contradict their testimony about his alcohol and drug abuse.  It doesn't seem to matter.

Based on texts, it also seems like people around them did witness him doing violent things to her and that he doesn't have any recollection due to his inebriation. 

The real time communications from people around them and Heard about the events isn't getting weighted as heavily.

There's a faction of the internet who is demonizing Amber for torturing Johnny even though it is Johnny who is bringing the cases to court.

This faction is mocking her testimony.  Accusing her of acting.  Developing memes making a joke out of her testimony where she depicted multiple acts of sexual violence has become an acceptable, even trendy, cottage industry without any thought to the chilling effect it might have on other survivors and their willingness to speak up against more powerful abusers. 

And it's really that last paragraph that makes me realize that there's probably nothing that can stop the inevitable now.  Even if Amber wins the case, Johnny has won this battle.  He is getting everything he wants out of this case. And if the court of public opinion ever shifts, it'll probably be too late for Amber and everyone will pretend like they knew it all along.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 23
3 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

They need different hobbies. They should try Wordle.

No, they haven't. In fact, it was announced he was out of Pirates 6 in October 2018, which was 2 months before the op-ed. He was replaced on Fantastic Beasts in 2020, and studio heads stated they had been waiting for the verdict of his UK case against the tabloid, and when he lost, they felt he was too much of a liability since now, anyone could describe him as a wife beater. 

Re Pirates, it should also be noted that Pirates 5 was the least successful of the franchise, and production had to be shut down for weeks after Depp's severed finger incident. (He flew back to the States to have surgery to repair it) This reportedly cost the studio $350k per day. With all of his issues, they may have just decided he wasn't worth the trouble anymore.

10 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

And it's really that last paragraph that makes me realize that there's probably nothing that can stop the inevitable now.  Even if Amber wins the case, Johnny has won this battle.  He is getting everything he wants out of this case. And if the court of public opinion ever shifts, it'll probably be too late for Amber and everyone will pretend like they knew it all along.

Maybe you're right, but I hope you're not. Johnny may still have his fans/minions no matter what, but that won't help his reputation in the industry when it comes to getting jobs. In these court cases, he's just revealed how drug and alcohol addicted he was, even if the studios don't believe the abuse allegations, (which by the way were never made public by Amber until he forced her into court) I think it's been proven he was totally out of control no matter how he tried to make light of it in court. He may succeed in destroying her career, but they haven't replaced her in Aquaman and there's been a lot of pressure there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, CynicalGirl said:

No, they haven't. In fact, it was announced he was out of Pirates 6 in October 2018, which was 2 months before the op-ed. He was replaced on Fantastic Beasts in 2020, and studio heads stated they had been waiting for the verdict of his UK case against the tabloid, and when he lost, they felt he was too much of a liability since now, anyone could describe him as a wife beater. 

Re Pirates, it should also be noted that Pirates 5 was the least successful of the franchise, and production had to be shut down for weeks after Depp's severed finger incident. (He flew back to the States to have surgery to repair it) This reportedly cost the studio $350k per day. With all of his issues, they may have just decided he wasn't worth the trouble anymore.

I’m glad that you laid out the timelines because that is consistent with my recollection of when his career took a nosedive. I remember his Rolling Stone interview being talked about in the celebrity news thread six months before the op-Ed was published. It was one of those interviews where a out of control star repeatedly shoots themself in the foot with zero realization of how they are being perceived. For example here is a quote from the beginning of the article.

Over the past 18 months, there has been little but bad news for Depp. In addition to the financial woes, there were reports he couldn’t remember his lines and had to have them fed to him through an earpiece. He had split from his longtime lawyer and agent. And he was alone. His tabloid-scarred divorce from actress Heard is complete, but not before there were persuasive allegations of physical abuse that Depp vehemently denies. Depp’s inner circle had begged him to not wed Heard or to at least obtain a prenup. Depp ignored his loved ones’ advice. And there were whispers that Depp’s recreational drug and alcohol use were crippling him.

During my London visit, Depp is alternately hilarious, sly and incoherent. The days begin after dark and run until first light. There is a scared, hunted look about him. Despite grand talks about hitting the town, we never leave the house. As Depp’s mind leads us down various rabbit holes, I often think of a line that he recited as the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland: “Have I gone mad?”

His closest confidant seems to be Waldman, a lawyer he met less than two years ago. Waldman, 49, possesses an unlined face, sandy hair, a designer black leather jacket and a soothing voice that could make the bird-flu epidemic sound reasonable. He tells me he is married to the “world’s number-one face doctor.”

Depp seems oblivious to any personal complicity in his current predicament. Waldman seems to have convinced Depp that they are freedom fighters taking on the Hollywood machine rather than scavengers squabbling over the scraps of a fortune squandered.

One day, Depp shows me his artwork, and it strikes me that Depp is now a worn Dorian Gray. “I imagine Johnny doing a version of Jack Sparrow at 70, at 80,” his friend Penélope Cruz tells me. “It will be as charming and as great.” But the things that were charming when he was 28 – doing drugs and running around the scaffolding on a high floor of Atlantic Records’ L.A. building – seem disturbing at 55. (Cruz ends our conversation by telling me about Depp trying to pull his own tooth at a London restaurant while having dinner with her and Stella McCartney.)

The Trouble With Johnny Depp

That’s the kind of press he was voluntarily participating in. 

I don't know if the Social Media brigade is going to have a lasting impact. This hysteria seems short-lived to me. I'm sure that there are enough idiots out there who can't think beyond their own misogyny and blind fandom, but I don't think this will have a good impact on either career.

I'm very sad it's come to this regarding Johnny Depp because I absolutely loved his pre- Pirates work. But he did this to himself. I can't and won't speak to guilt because I still think that these two people had no business being together. And I wasn't there and I refuse to follow this closely. 

I also believe most of these idiots on Social Media probably fell in love with his Jack Sparrow and probably haven't actually seen much of his earlier work. At least I hope that people in my generation (and his) have better things to do with their time than vilify a woman on Social Media.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

JUST NO.   Women lawyers do NOT need this crap.   Just because we are cordial to our clients, or even friendly, does not mean we are romantically interested in them.   It's kinda requirement of the job to be nice to your own clients.   

But yeah, Johnny is so hot that his lawyer would just throw her law license away to screw him.   Not that it doesn't happen.   But its rarer than people WANT to believe.   Because women, doncha know.

Preach. 

Once I have to deal with someone's personal bullshit, all the while putting on my best sympathetic face, they become incredibly unattractive. I don't know even one female attorney who is interested in fucking a client. 

The bizarre narratives coming out of this trial are kind of amazing. 

• Love 15
4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

JUST NO.   Women lawyers do NOT need this crap.

It's not just women lawyers. I am a single woman who's coworkers are all men.  I have been suspected of having affairs with two of them.  The reason? We have been known to be alone in our office.  I don't seem to recall any male lawyers being accused of sleeping with their female clients. 

1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

The bizarre narratives coming out of this trial are kind of amazing. 

As if the testimony and evidence wasn't bizarre enough.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Dani said:

I’m glad that you laid out the timelines because that is consistent with my recollection of when his career took a nosedive. I remember his Rolling Stone interview being talked about in the celebrity news thread six months before the op-Ed was published. It was one of those interviews where a out of control star repeatedly shoots themself in the foot with zero realization of how they are being perceived. For example here is a quote from the beginning of the article.

The Trouble With Johnny Depp

That’s the kind of press he was voluntarily participating in. 

Yes and there was a lot of interview weirdness from him around this time and even earlier! I've never forgotten him arguing in interviews that his movies weren't terrible and that it was fans' faults that they bombed. I think he did it for both the Lone Ranger movie and Mortdecai. 

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, supposebly said:

I'm very sad it's come to this regarding Johnny Depp because I absolutely loved his pre- Pirates work. But he did this to himself. I can't and won't speak to guilt because I still think that these two people had no business being together. And I wasn't there and I refuse to follow this closely. 

I also believe most of these idiots on Social Media probably fell in love with his Jack Sparrow and probably haven't actually seen much of his earlier work. At least I hope that people in my generation (and his) have better things to do with their time than vilify a woman on Social Media.

I agree with everything, especially the bolded.  In the interviews he did in the 90s he seemed so gentle.  (Obviously he wasn't really so gentle because we knew about him punching people and trashing hotel rooms, etc.).  He was so talented and beautiful back then.  Anyways, it's really a shame.

Talking about how his team pays for propaganda on YouTube.  Remember the Oscars?  When they had fans vote for the fan favourite movie of the year?  Remember when "Minimata" was "Somehow" included on that list?  What the hell was that?  And who paid for that publicity?  

The movie hemorrhaged money like all his recent movies did.  So how was it a fan favourite?

Budget $11-13 million

Box office $1.7 million

FMtsuk-UYAAejAV.jpeg

That reminds me of something else, that I once read a Forbes article about how he's the most overpaid actor in Hollywood -- he's paid a lot, and his movies never profit a lot.  And this was BEFORE all the Amber Heard stuff came out.  There are people in Hollywood who are still so obsessed with him.

Johnny Depp Is Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor For The Second Year In A Row

Dec 7, 2016, 08:00am EST

https://www.forbes.com/sites/natalierobehmed/2016/12/07/johnny-depp-is-hollywoods-most-overpaid-actor-for-the-second-year-in-a-row/?sh=3327cc341d08

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 9

I first knew Johnny Depp as Officer Tom Hanson on 21 Jump Street.  Edward Scissorhands was an OK movie for me but I more or less stopped watching his movies after Nick of Time. That was the last movie I remember him being a regular guy in.  I remember all the stories about him and Kate Moss and his tearing up hotel rooms. I remember the Winona forever tattoo that became Wino forever.  I just always assumed he had some demons that sometimes surfaced.  I didn't really pay much attention to him until this whole thing happened.  I doubt we will ever know the truth of what happened.  For everyone's sake I hope Johnny and Amber move on from each other and deal with whatever they have going on with themselves. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Andy Dick has been arrested again:

Comedian Andy Dick was arrested today by Orange County Sheriff’s deputies on charges of felony sexual assault.

Dick had been staying with a group of people living out of their RVs in an Orange County campground and livestreaming their lives together on the Captain Content YouTube Channel. According to a man named Maximiliano in the group, one of the members alleged Dick “molested” him recently.

Orange County Sheriff’s deputies were dispatched about 9 a.m. this morning to the Trabuco Canyon campground, where a man alleged he had been sexually assaulted by the comedian, said Orange County sheriff’s Sgt. Scott Steinle. Dick is being held on $25,000 bail, according to jail records.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
(edited)

Yep was just coming to post that.

Just a neverending creep. It's ironic recently I was tossing around the idea of watching some News Radio eps but now probably not. I bought the DVDs years ago so it's not about not supporting him (though I certainly don't want to) and more that I'm not sure I can stand looking at him for 30 mins.

The last time I watched it was probably 10 years ago and I found it creepy then. 

Edited by cleo
  • Love 12
(edited)
On 5/11/2022 at 8:24 PM, cleo said:

Anyone, he has assaulted both men and women. I can't believe he hasn't done serious time for something by now. 

I also don't get why the authorities haven't thrown Mr. Dick into a psych/violent ward since IMO he appears to be  a literal danger to virtually every person he could encounter! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 4
On 5/11/2022 at 1:20 AM, Irlandesa said:

In the court of public opinion, I doubt that silver bullet is going to come from the current happenings.  Maybe time will lead people to take a second look at the events but the trial has become too much of a circus that's about things other than what the trial is about. 

For instance:

Johnny has a history of violence. 

In 1989, he was arrested for attacking a security guard who asked him to leave the premises due to his drunken behavior.

Amber Heard was 3 at that time.  He was 26--the same age Amber was when he met her 23 years later.

In 1994, he was arrested after destroying a hotel room--allegedly during a fight with Kate Moss. (Something he apparently also did in the early 90s when dating Winona Ryder. )

Amber Heard was 8 at the time.

There have been more incidents scattered across his history long before he met Amber.  But the history of violence doesn't seem to matter.

He has already had one court case about this go against him.  Somehow, that doesn't seem to matter.

People aren't even blinking an eye about the misogyny in his texts that are released because of the trial.

Quite a few of his witnesses rely on him for their status/livelihood and have communications that directly contradict their testimony about his alcohol and drug abuse.  It doesn't seem to matter.

Based on texts, it also seems like people around them did witness him doing violent things to her and that he doesn't have any recollection due to his inebriation. 

The real time communications from people around them and Heard about the events isn't getting weighted as heavily.

There's a faction of the internet who is demonizing Amber for torturing Johnny even though it is Johnny who is bringing the cases to court.

This faction is mocking her testimony.  Accusing her of acting.  Developing memes making a joke out of her testimony where she depicted multiple acts of sexual violence has become an acceptable, even trendy, cottage industry without any thought to the chilling effect it might have on other survivors and their willingness to speak up against more powerful abusers. 

The history of violence doesn't matter - and I'm not sure what your point is bringing up Amber's age - because getting in fights with other men and trashing hotel rooms is not the same as beating your wife. Unlike Amber who has been arrested for domestic violence. Of course, her excuse then was the cop was homophobic and misogynistic, even though the cop in question is a lesbian. And, at least according to Dr. Curry's testimony (from records that she'd read) one of Amber's friends is on the record stating that Amber slapped her for no reason. 

The UK court case is irrelevant to this case. Amber wasn't the defendant in that case, just a witness. There's a lot of evidence in this case that wasn't included in that case, some of the evidence wasn't even authenticated in the UK case, but the judge decided to take her at her word (one of her pieces of evidence was picture of "hair" that Johnny supposedly ripped out. The judge even admits there's no real authentication that it's even Amber's, he just trusted that it was.)

I don't care about the supposed "misogyny" in texts. I care more about actual violence that was committed.

Who cares that many of his witnesses like him and work for him. It doesn't automatically make them liars willing to commit perjury. 

The only text that "confirms" someone saw Johnny be violent with her was a text exchange with Johnny's former employee. I don't believe that particular employee even testified to that actually being true or what in particular he truly saw. Whereas there are people who have testified to seeing - multiple times - Amber be violent and abusive with Johnny.

A faction of the internet believes she loves torturing him because she's kept up with lies about what a poor, innocent victim she is. I think the only reason Johnny agreed to such a fast settlement in the divorce was he didn't want some of the details that are coming out now to come out, and thought they could both move on with their lives. Then she decided to do the Op-Ed where she decided to continue to make insinuations about him (which was exactly what she and the ACLU intended) and he decided not to sit back and take it anymore. Johnny has had one case against the woman, for the people wanting to act like he keeps dragging her into court. She wasn't required to be involved in the UK case. 

People are mocking her because she's a liar whose testimony was one of the most pathetic bits of overacting I've ever seen. She deserves all the mockery she gets for that shameless display of playing to the jury (she gave depositions in this case talking about the same events with NONE of the tears - wait sorry, there were no tears in her testimony either despite her practically forcing an aneursym up there to squeeze one out. During her depositions she was too busy snacking and being snarky. Guess she and her team figured that wouldn't play so well to the jury and the cameras.)

I hope Johnny does get everything he wants out of this case. For years, the media wanted to ignore the signs of Amber's abuse and now SOME are waking up and Amber and her new PR team are trying to play the victim card again because how dare people question her disgusting behavior.

And, for those asking, why people aren't asking if he's a victim why didn't he leave. He did try to leave - in his own way. That's something Amber would constantly whine about and complain. Johnny was the one who tried to deescalate many of their fights. He was the one who would try to get away and - poor scared Amber who claims she tried everything possible to stop the violence - would corner him in rooms, whether it meant she was basically kidnapping him and holding anyone standing next to him hostage. Johnny is the one on tape asking for a deescalation of violence. AMBER is the one who says she can't promise not to get violent because she gets so crazy. Notice in that same recording she doesn't say "I promise I won't get violent, if you won't get violent." And there seems to be some twisting of facts that Amber was the one who ended things. I believe it was Johnny who was the first to say he was leaving and that he would file for divorce. Then Amber and her lawyers decided they couldn't have that and filed first and got the TRO. And, did Amber do this because she was deathly afraid and wanted to end the cycle of violence? Nope. She did it because she was afraid she and her freeloading crew would be kicked out of Johnny's homes.

It makes no sense to me to pretend that all of Johnny supporters are all freaks (every actor and fandom have their share of crazies) who are misogynistic or have internalized misogyny or want to screw Johnny or any other ridiculous justifications for why people could possibly believe the evidence they've seen, and side with him and not her. There are actually plenty of people who support him who have been victims of violence themselves. They recognize their abusers in AMBER'S actions. People can say all they want about seeing the relationship as mutually toxic or that they're not trying to judge, but I'm only seeing jokes about Johnny's fans and not the people who continue to act like Amber is some babe in the woods.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/11/2022 at 1:53 AM, CynicalGirl said:

Maybe you're right, but I hope you're not. Johnny may still have his fans/minions no matter what, but that won't help his reputation in the industry when it comes to getting jobs. In these court cases, he's just revealed how drug and alcohol addicted he was, even if the studios don't believe the abuse allegations, (which by the way were never made public by Amber until he forced her into court) I think it's been proven he was totally out of control no matter how he tried to make light of it in court. He may succeed in destroying her career, but they haven't replaced her in Aquaman and there's been a lot of pressure there.

Pirates 5 being the least successful out of all them is meaningless. His agent said they had a verbal agreement for six and then they backed out most likely because of the abuse allegations. The movies were still generating billions. This is Hollywood - home of the addict. Do you seriously think any studio really cares about hiring a former drug addict? As long as Johnny can promise to stay clean and not get in trouble, that's all they care about - making money. And, are you really saying the allegations weren't known until he dragged her to court? Exhibit A, her filing for divorce and a TRO and showing up to court - in public - with a bruise (which seemed to disappear the next day) on her face. This was not some secret until he sued The Sun.

I think the only reason they haven't replaced her in A2 is because they've done what they can to minimize her role in the movie so it can hurt them as little as possible. This way they don't have to - most likely - deal with having her do press for the movie - while also not getting the blowback of replacing who many continue to believe is a domestic violence victim.

On 5/11/2022 at 3:52 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Talking about how his team pays for propaganda on YouTube.  Remember the Oscars?  When they had fans vote for the fan favourite movie of the year?  Remember when "Minimata" was "Somehow" included on that list?  What the hell was that?  And who paid for that publicity?  

The movie hemorrhaged money like all his recent movies did.  So how was it a fan favourite?

Budget $11-13 million

Box office $1.7 million

FMtsuk-UYAAejAV.jpeg

That reminds me of something else, that I once read a Forbes article about how he's the most overpaid actor in Hollywood -- he's paid a lot, and his movies never profit a lot.  And this was BEFORE all the Amber Heard stuff came out.  There are people in Hollywood who are still so obsessed with him.

Johnny Depp Is Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor For The Second Year In A Row

Dec 7, 2016, 08:00am EST

https://www.forbes.com/sites/natalierobehmed/2016/12/07/johnny-depp-is-hollywoods-most-overpaid-actor-for-the-second-year-in-a-row/?sh=3327cc341d08

Do you have any proof his team pays for stuff on YouTube? He has a huge dedicated fanbase, especially online. That Oscars poll is made for that kind of fanbase. His team didn't have to pay for the fans to vote for his movie.

Right, because someone wrote about it somewhere must make it true. 

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Pirates 5 being the least successful out of all them is meaningless. His agent said they had a verbal agreement for six and then they backed out most likely because of the abuse allegations. The movies were still generating billions. This is Hollywood - home of the addict. Do you seriously think any studio really cares about hiring a former drug addict? As long as Johnny can promise to stay clean and not get in trouble, that's all they care about - making money. 

My point was, they announced he wouldn't be part of Pirates 6 TWO months before Amber's op-ed. And he is claiming that op-ed is what caused him to lose jobs. And yes, I think maybe DISNEY might care about hiring a drug addict. Because they're ya know, Disney.

• Useful 4
  • Love 18
(edited)
On 5/11/2022 at 1:53 AM, CynicalGirl said:

I wonder if that is  the strategy of the defense team.  In their closing, they argue that any decrease in his earning capacity was due to his substance abuse and not to domestic violence allegation.  Did they claim that in their Answer or Affirmative Defense?  All this time and I’ve never looked at the pleadings.  I wonder if they are accessible.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

The history of violence doesn't matter

It does to me. 

The UK court case is irrelevant to this case.

It isn’t to me. The people on the jury are the only ones who need to ignore that. 

I don't care about the supposed "misogyny" in texts. I care more about actual violence that was committed.

I care about both. 

Who cares that many of his witnesses like him and work for him.

I do. 

It doesn't automatically make them liars willing to commit perjury. 

I doesn’t but it does make them more likely to be enablers. 

It makes no sense to me to pretend that all of Johnny supporters are all freaks (every actor and fandom have their share of crazies) who are misogynistic or have internalized misogyny or want to screw Johnny or any other ridiculous justifications for why people could possibly believe the evidence they've seen, and side with him and not her.

Sure but it also makes no sense to pretend that a large number of them aren’t fanatics and/or misogynistic. Everyone is responding from their own perspective and to what they are seeing. Everyone Is going to have their own opinion and none of us can really know what happened.