Type keyword(s) to search

Predator and Prey: Assault, harassment, and other aggressions in the entertainment industry

Message added by OtterMommy

The guidelines for this thread are in the first post.  Please familiarize yourself with them and check frequently as any changes or additions will be posted there (as well as in an in-thread post).

• Start Topic

50 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I'm 55. I'm not from the oldest generation on earth, but not a kid, either. But in any generation, some of us are thrilled and relieved and happy to see things improve, and want to run toward it, not resist it. Others are resistant and will fight to stop change.

We can choose who to ally with, what values to embrace, and whether to stake our hearts on abuse or not. Those choices have consequences. If some people are having a hard time embracing positive change, and decide to make trouble for and revile those who are moving forward, they are going to have to live with the result that they will be disliked and ignored by people who see loyalty to abusers as part of the problem.

They've declared their disdain for us, and behaved in ways that oppose our well-being. Affection and respect, loyalty and support, work both ways. I don't see it as a case of men are at fault and women who are actively opposing efforts to hold abusers accountable are somehow lacking agency. I think it's infantilizing to decide women can't do better than that, and men are the only ones who should be held accountable. 

I'm not blaming someone like Huston or Rashad for what others have done. But when they defend it and insult accountability efforts and people who were harmed, I don't give them a pass for their complicity. It doesn't make them rapists, but it makes them rape apologists, and I think that's disgusting.

Speaking of Huston, I loved Jacki Weaver's response on her and I could not disagree with her on that opinion. 

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I do agree with you. Unfortunately, I think the fact that the overwhelming majority of sexual assault cases are not reported, let alone prosecuted would indicate otherwise. 

I’m really not sure what your saying. What is indicated otherwise?

I’m not saying that things are fixed or that attitudes blaming woman are not still prevalent. I am saying that it isn’t accurate to say that was the prevalent attitude until 3 years ago. I really dislike the times have changed defense of people like Rashard and Huston because it suggests that it was impossible to know better until just recently. It feels like, as a society, we are trying to rewrite history and ignoring the voices who were loudly saying that it was wrong. I’m not condemning people for not going against the majority but I also feel real accountability is acknowledging that we should have known better. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, supposebly said:

Don't forget we are witnessing a sizeable culture shift here. Until very recently, as in 3 years ago, the prevalent view WAS that it was the woman's fault. It still is for many people. In some schools, girls are still punished for wearing "distracting clothes". It starts very early.

Almost every woman around my age I know has had at least one "bad date" in their lives. We older women (well, middle-aged in my case) don't often know to call rape what it is unless there is considerable physical violence and a stranger involved. Because, admitting what happened requires possibly looking at their own "bad dates" in the past. Trust me, not an easy thing to do. It took me decades until I realized that my bad date when I was 17 wasn't just a bad date.

All of a sudden, we are asked to see things differently while all our lives, it was our fault and thus any woman's fault. 

I'm not excusing public defences of rapists and I really wish women like Anjelica Houston would keep their mouth shut until they reflect a little more. But if you spend your whole life trying to do the right thing so things don't happen to you, it's a bit hard to switch your thinking that quickly.

And let's not make women be responsible for the sins of men. Because then we're right back with the victim blaming.

I am so sorry that you had to go through such horror. Another thing that the public at large needs to consider is the difference between coercion and consent. Sometimes people will give in against their better judgment rather than risk more anger and violence from the perpetrator. Unfortunately, only a handful of states have sexual coercion laws on the books.

Anyway, the disgraced "America's Dad" just won't keep quiet. Disgusting.

https://deadline.com/2021/07/bill-cosby-blames-media-howard-university-phylicia-rashad-capitol-attack-1234786127/

Edited by catlover79
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10
14 hours ago, Dani said:

I would disagree that it was the prevalent view that recently. It was common but as with most issues it was only that way because people were ignoring the voices who spoke out. I’ve been hearing those voices all of my adult life. Changing is a challenge but it’s really not like people didn’t know it was an issue. They just chose not to listen to those voices. 

People were doing more than just ignoring women pre #metoo.  TPTB used every weapon to discredit any woman who dared speak out and brand them as crazy.  I remember Janice Dickinson talking about Bill Cosby raping her back in the early Aughts.  No one took her seriously because she had a history of substance abuse.  Janice was a washed up former model who was erratic and a bitch on ANTM.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

People were doing more than just ignoring women pre #metoo.  TPTB used every weapon to discredit any woman who dared speak out and brand them as crazy.  I remember Janice Dickinson talking about Bill Cosby raping her back in the early Aughts.  No one took her seriously because she had a history of substance abuse.  Janice was a washed up former model who was erratic and a bitch on ANTM.  

Yes, it was amazingly easy to discredit any woman who spoke up about being assaulted.  

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Dani said:

I would disagree that it was the prevalent view that recently. It was common but as with most issues it was only that way because people were ignoring the voices who spoke out. I’ve been hearing those voices all of my adult life. Changing is a challenge but it’s really not like people didn’t know it was an issue. They just chose not to listen to those voices. 

I think it is just hard to fight against years of indoctrination.  Yes on an individual scale a lot of people understand there is a problem  But in general, especially when it comes to crime where there are victims,  there is still the perception that a victim of a crime could have prevented the crime -- "they should've locked the door", "Why was he out at 2am?" "Why did she go to his hotel room?' -- it is a knee-jerk self preservationist way of thinking because it somehow means that you can control the outcome and as long as you believe that is true, then it can't happen to you.

Before social media the only way to get information on a mass scale was via traditional media.  There is a lot of power to sway public perception by news and tv.  And as we are still seeing traditional media venues, the big network conglomerates are some of the institutions that are still struggling with the attitude.  They protect their predators.  For all its ills, social media has removed the gate-keeping of that sort of information and people are hearing more and more voices of victims.  I remember it was about four(?) years ago, a twitter user started a what was she wearing (or something like that) hashtag to disabuse people of the still held belief that what a woman wore contributed to her rape.  It was riveting and horrible and cathartic and so informational.

• Love 20
12 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

But in general, especially when it comes to crime where there are victims,  there is still the perception that a victim of a crime could have prevented the crime -- "they should've locked the door", "Why was he out at 2am?" "Why did she go to his hotel room?' -- it is a knee-jerk self preservationist way of thinking because it somehow means that you can control the outcome and as long as you believe that is true, then it can't happen to you.

Exactly!  I think a big reason is people don't like to admit how much of a part luck plays--as in how much of our lives are not under our control.  All the ones saying "So-and-So never did anything to me!"  Congratulations!  It was not because they were "good", or "did things right" it was because they were lucky and they don't want to admit that it could have easily gone the other way.

• Love 24
44 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

But in general, especially when it comes to crime where there are victims,  there is still the perception that a victim of a crime could have prevented the crime -- "they should've locked the door", "Why was he out at 2am?" "Why did she go to his hotel room?' -- it is a knee-jerk self preservationist way of thinking because it somehow means that you can control the outcome and as long as you believe that is true, then it can't happen to you.

Just World Hypothesis

Even people I love and respect have been known to spout off like this when I am watching the news with them.  If something bad happens to someone they have this knee jerk  to assume the victim did something wrong that invited trouble.

• Love 16

I’m not saying that things are fixed or that attitudes blaming woman are not still prevalent. I am saying that it isn’t accurate to say that was the prevalent attitude until 3 years ago. I really dislike the times have changed defense of people like Rashard and Huston because it suggests that it was impossible to know better until just recently. It feels like, as a society, we are trying to rewrite history and ignoring the voices who were loudly saying that it was wrong. I’m not condemning people for not going against the majority but I also feel real accountability is acknowledging that we should have known better. 

I am personally not trying to put forth a "the times were different" defense. But I do think it's important to acknowledge cultural shifts in prevailing narratives. It's why people believe in challenging rape culture and having in depth conversations about consent and petitioning for the passage of certain laws. There is a great deal of interpersonal harm but this is also not an issue of individuals. It is a systemic problem of what society has allowed by not doing more to enforce that it is not acceptable. Everyone has personal responsibility and the capacity to learn and change regardless of age. But at the same time, I think it's worth understanding what feeds into the things Rashad and Huston say. Though, of course, our primary focus should be on survivors of assault, punishing perpetrators, and addressing system issues through the culture and legal system. Comments like this are just something that temporarily drives our outrage. 

• Love 10
(edited)
9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Yes, it was amazingly easy to discredit any woman who spoke up about being assaulted.  

I was thinking about that, after Cosby was released. We (very rarely) hear about a woman really lying about something like this, and those few women are used as an example as to why we shouldn't believe the rest of them. We get men in the news, for raping women (much more than a few men), and #metoo, and in response, we get #notallmen. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 18
4 hours ago, BetterButter said:

My little cousins use to watch Drake and Josh on Nick. What a shame when someone you use to watch with your cousins in the past turns out to be such a disgusting human being. Fucking hell! Well, at least one of the twins from the old Disney show The Suite Life of Zack and Cody are actually still working.

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

2 years PROBATION.    I see the justice system is still sending the message its okay to commit sex crimes.

What makes it worse is the charges were dropped to way less than what he was originally accused of.  There has to be more victims right?

• Love 3
(edited)
15 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

What makes it worse is the charges were dropped to way less than what he was originally accused of.  There has to be more victims right?

What's the difference? He's a has been. He has not been a serious actor or anything. Let's remember that he would not be a commodity in any kid shows or Hollywood for that matter. He could join a reality show since there's no career path for him. If he wants to play victim, he could join Kirstie Alley, Scott Baio, and the rest of D list ilk while he is at it. As I would say:

Happy Tuesday GIF by memecandy

Edited by letter8358
  • Love 2

Just because he's a has been doesn't mean he is not a threat to others.   Plenty of pedophiles are not famous people.   Probation means he is not behind bars and has the opportunity to do what he wants again.   Or just wait 2 years and he is really free to act.

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
5 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Just because he's a has been doesn't mean he is not a threat to others.   Plenty of pedophiles are not famous people.   Probation means he is not behind bars and has the opportunity to do what he wants again.   Or just wait 2 years and he is really free to act.

Yes his status as a sex offender will be reconsidered after his probation is over.  And no matter what he said when he was sentenced I don't buy him being remorseful.

• Love 6
(edited)
30 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Probation is a slap on the wrist for sure but it's not surprising for these kinds of crimes.  Even if he'd got jail time it probably wouldn't have been much.  We had a recent case here when a man with an almost 50 year history of domestic violence was convicted of stalking, harassment  and sexual assault of two women over a period of several years and he got a grand total of 4 years.  Violent crimes over an extended length of time and he got 4 years.  No wonder victims don't speak up.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, RedElf said:

Tik Tok celebrity Hunter Echo claims that when he was 18, he was living in Millie Bobby Brown's house (she was 16 at the time) and having sex with her.

https://www.dexerto.com/entertainment/tiktoker-hunter-echo-admits-groomed-millie-bobby-brown-hits-back-instagram-live-1611162/

What he says is disgusting in addition to being illegal. Her reps says that he is being dishonest.

I really don’t understand the ages here. Millie Bobby Brown turned 17 in February and he turned 20 or 21 in January (depending on which article you look at). There is no way that works out 16 and 18 at any point in time. 

Edited by Guest
12 hours ago, Dani said:

What he says is disgusting in addition to being illegal. Her reps says that he is being dishonest.

I really don’t understand the ages here. Millie Bobby Brown turned 17 in February and he turned 20 or 21 in January (depending on which article you look at). There is no way that works out 16 and 18 at any point in time. 

It reminds of that old time clock situation regarding Natalie Portman to become an adult and it was really creepy at the time. I just don't understand it. Not to mention it's disgusting as well.

• Love 7

It's good that our collective eyes are being open to inappropriate to downright predatory behavior and we're making steps to not tolerate anymore, but it's also alarming when you read about what used to be considered acceptable, or simply shrugged off. For example, the young Judy Garland had an intense crush on bandleader Artie Shaw (he famously broke her heart by eloping with Lana Turner). Doesn't sound so bad... until you consider that they met when Garland was 15 or 16 and Shaw was about 28. They hung out together a lot and really were just friends (though Garland didn't see it that way), but what in the hell is a nearly 30-year-old man doing hanging out with someone still going through puberty?! I mean, I completely believe nothing happened between them, but that doesn't make this any less weird! Seriously, man, she's a child!

Then you have Jerry Lee Lewis and his 13-year-old cousin/bride, Loretta Lynn marrying a 21-year-old at 15, Elvis dating Priscilla when he was 24 and she was 14, the grossness goes on and on and on!

An informative (if occasionally gross and horrible, so trigger warning) video on what Shirley Temple had to deal with.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

It's good that our collective eyes are being open to inappropriate to downright predatory behavior and we're making steps to not tolerate anymore, but it's also alarming when you read about what used to be considered acceptable, or simply shrugged off. For example, the young Judy Garland had an intense crush on bandleader Artie Shaw (he famously broke her heart by eloping with Lana Turner). Doesn't sound so bad... until you consider that they met when Garland was 15 or 16 and Shaw was about 28. They hung out together a lot and really were just friends (though Garland didn't see it that way), but what in the hell is a nearly 30-year-old man doing hanging out with someone still going through puberty?! I mean, I completely believe nothing happened between them, but that doesn't make this any less weird! Seriously, man, she's a child!

Then you have Jerry Lee Lewis and his 13-year-old cousin/bride, Loretta Lynn marrying a 21-year-old at 15, Elvis dating Priscilla when he was 24 and she was 14, the grossness goes on and on and on!

An informative (if occasionally gross and horrible, so trigger warning) video on what Shirley Temple had to deal with.

I need a shudder emoji.

• Love 7

The Milly Bobby Brown thing is so extra disturbing because it does seem to verify the long held belief that her parents do not seem to have her best interests at heart.  I know that David Harbour has made some comments about being wary about the people around her (reading between the lines you could tell he was talking about her parents), but I remember back in all the publicity for Season 2 of Stranger things when she was ... what 13?  14?  her styling for red carpets and magazine covers was that of a person at least 10-15 years older than her.  I remember there was one photo I mistook her for Kate Beckinsale.  Some comments on twitter and Tom and Lorenzo were voicing the same sorts of concerns about the decisions the adults around her were making for her.  She was a literal child at the time.

Of course this is a separate issue from this jerk and it pisses me off that she had to not only be a victim of grooming but that anyone of any age should experience this sort of public sexual shaming and scorn is horrible.  And if her parents were ok with this relationship then they are as much to blame as he is.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

The Milly Bobby Brown thing is so extra disturbing because it does seem to verify the long held belief that her parents do not seem to have her best interests at heart.  I know that David Harbour has made some comments about being wary about the people around her (reading between the lines you could tell he was talking about her parents), but I remember back in all the publicity for Season 2 of Stranger things when she was ... what 13?  14?  her styling for red carpets and magazine covers was that of a person at least 10-15 years older than her.  I remember there was one photo I mistook her for Kate Beckinsale.  Some comments on twitter and Tom and Lorenzo were voicing the same sorts of concerns about the decisions the adults around her were making for her.  She was a literal child at the time.

Of course this is a separate issue from this jerk and it pisses me off that she had to not only be a victim of grooming but that anyone of any age should experience this sort of public sexual shaming and scorn is horrible.  And if her parents were ok with this relationship then they are as much to blame as he is.

I’ve seen concern for MBB based on the styling and other reports about things her parents would insist on, like not being photographed on the red carpet with the other ST stars. Also, MBB made a list of sexy actresses when she was 13/14, and while people can certainly blame the magazine for being disgusting, PR firms lobby hard for their clients to make those lists (Hi, completely UNSEXY Blake Shelton) so it’s likely her making the list was an approved PR move.

Maybe MBB is going to be just fine. Maybe her parents are more supportive than they seem. But yeah, I have a bad vibe about that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It’s a long disgusting history of female stars having countdowns to their 18th birthday.

I remember the whole Olsen twins "18th birthday countdown", and I remember grumbling, "You're not counting down until it's okay to think they're hot... you're counting down until you can stop thinking they're hot!"

At the time, I was just being a snarky little edge-brat, but now I wonder... was I on to something?! God, I hope not.

I don't know if this belongs here, but (headline taken from ESPN's website)

"FBI seriously mishandled Larry Nassar case, according to Justice Dept. watchdog"

The phrase "no shit" comes to mind.

• Love 10
19 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Jesus, I didn't know about that other part regarding Artie Shaw. I knew she had crushes on Mickey Rooney and such, but the Artie Shaw was very new to me. Very disturbing reading that article.

• Love 3

Wiendish you are correct about all those past deals being so disturbing. Perhaps the most infuriating one was the deal of the Beaulieu so-called parents greenlighting their underage daughter Priscialla to move into Presley's abode under supposedly 'supervised' conditions (with Mr. Presley's father and stepmother supposedly chaperoning her)  and even agreed that she would eventually marry him - all before she was eighteen!  I mean, her stepfather (and adoptive father ) Paul Beaulieu was a high ranking Air Force officer so what was stopping him and his wife Ann from telling Presley to stay away from their underage daughter with them blowing the whistle to the press about Presley's deal(and letting said daughter stew in her own) instead of essentially letting him buy their daughter?!

• Love 7
On 7/8/2021 at 6:55 PM, supposebly said:

Almost every woman around my age I know has had at least one "bad date" in their lives. We older women (well, middle-aged in my case) don't often know to call rape what it is unless there is considerable physical violence and a stranger involved. Because, admitting what happened requires possibly looking at their own "bad dates" in the past. Trust me, not an easy thing to do. It took me decades until I realized that my bad date when I was 17 wasn't just a bad date.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if teenagers today still think it's a "bad date." I think a smaller proportion thinks that than in decades past, but I assume this notion hasn't been completely eradicated. When I was in college, a classmate told us that the group of teen girls she was working with (for our class project) was talking about their first times, and one kid in her group basically described her rape without realizing she was doing so. She presented it as "it wasn't that great" and my classmate didn't know what to do or say because although it was clearly rape to her, that hadn't occurred to the teenager. (Although looking back on it, she may just have been in denial.) That girl would be in her early 30s now. She may still believe/want to believe that it was a "bad date," or her view may have changed. I guess my point is that analysis of what happened to you didn't just happen with people Anjelica Huston's age, or these other rape apologists. This girl was a mid-range millennial. Even if she later realized the seriousness of what had happened, I can't imagine she ever reported the guy.

16 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

That is so disturbing. And I wonder what people behind those have in mind. As if what, they have a chance? GTFO.

Then they don't have to pretend they don't already think about the teenager when they jerk off.

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, letter8358 said:

Jack Dylan Grazer's ex-girlfriend, Cylia Chasman, accuses him of infidelity and abuse

I know teenagers make the stupidest decisions growing up and we are not always perfect, but this is something I don't do. And I use to make dumb decisions! I know it is sketchy and such, but it is interesting he is lawyering up now. What do you think? Thoughts....since Dylan is 17 going on 18.

I am officially old. I read the link and I do not know anyone named in that article.

• Love 16
42 minutes ago, letter8358 said:

Jack Dylan Grazer's ex-girlfriend, Cylia Chasman, accuses him of infidelity and abuse

I know teenagers make the stupidest decisions growing up and we are not always perfect, but this is something I don't do. And I use to make dumb decisions! I know it is sketchy and such, but it is interesting he is lawyering up now. What do you think? Thoughts....since Dylan is 17 going on 18.

The article says that another ex made similar accusations against him. He's not even 18 yet? If this is true, then damn. Yes, we all do stupid things when we're young. It could be that the fame at a young age went to his head. Maybe he thinks he's untouchable? But if he's this young and he's slapping women?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, MaggieG said:

The article says that another ex made similar accusations against him. He's not even 18 yet? If this is true, then damn. Yes, we all do stupid things when we're young. It could be that the fame at a young age went to his head. Maybe he thinks he's untouchable? But if he's this young and he's slapping women?

That's something Mom taught me right and that was not to slap girls. I admit, I made dumb choices, but those were just typical teenage mistakes we learn. Staying up late and hanging out at night when I was that age. Typical 90s attitude. For those that might recognize him, he's Eddie from It and he's the weird likable kid from Shazam!

• Useful 2
2 minutes ago, letter8358 said:

For those that might recognize him, he's Eddie from It and he's the weird likable kid from Shazam!

And for why he might not face any consequences his uncle is mega producer Brian Grazer.

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, MaggieG said:

There's actually some clips from his ex-girlfriend when they were dating. The hair grabbing makes me go hmmmmmm.......

But when you are the nephew of a very prominent uncle, all is forgiven. His second ex-girlfriend looks exactly like Millie Bobby Brown, though. 

• Love 2

Miami Herald reporter Julie K. Brown, who wrote the series that got the Jeffrey Epstein case reopened and led to the resignation of then Labor Secretary Alex Acosta, has written a book about her two year investigation.

"In this book, I lay out more about the scope and the breadth of the story so that readers can see the patterns in the whole picture of how Epstein's web of enablers helped him," she says. "He didn't do this alone. He had a whole ecosystem that he created that allowed this to happen."   ...

[Victims] said that ... they were very scared because at the same time this was happening, where the FBI was making them feel like they perhaps had broken the law, you have Epstein and his investigators and his lawyers on the other side digging into their lives and following their parents. ... It isn't the kind of thing that would make a victim want to cooperate with authorities. And that all played into to what exactly what Epstein wanted.

• Useful 6

Some history as to who Grazer's folks are

I know more of the uncle than the other members of the family and of course Brian is Ron Howard's friend for years. Reading about how Jack's parents were divorced in 2009 and his mother was a big influence on his life, I can't help to notice that there was no way that he was going to be normal. There is even little known about his mother, except she has Instagram. I am sorry, but she sounds like a stage mother to me. She might be nice and all, but she acts more of a friend than mother. Which is exactly why celebrity parents need to be more than friends. Look at what happened to Corey Haim! I tell you that Hollywood is no way to grow normal. And his recent sexual orientation of being bisexual is just putting more pressure on than before. There was no way this young man was going to be normal. He is 17 and look what happened!

• Useful 2

How not surprising. Prosecutors Say They Have Evidence Of More Abuse And Bribery In The R. Kelly Case.

The filing submitted by the prosecutors on Friday includes 20 Jane Does and two John Does. In or around December 2006, the government alleges, Kelly initiated a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old boy whom he had met at a Chicago McDonald's, and directed the boy to have sexual encounters with other people as well.

That boy introduced Kelly to a second teenage boy, John Doe No. 2, who was then 16 or 17 years old, with whom Kelly allegedly tried to start a sexual relationship as well. Several years later, Kelly is alleged to have started having sex with this second John Doe, and also forced several of his girlfriends and other sexual partners, including a minor girl, to have sex with this young man. Prosecutors say that Kelly often filmed those incidents.

The government is also asking the judge to allow video recordings of Kelly physically and verbally abusing two women as evidence at the trial.

The prosecutors also allege that around 1994, Kelly had one of his associates pay an Illinois state employee $500 to create a fake ID for the singer Aaliyah, who was then 15 years old and Kelly's protégée. The purpose, they say, was so that Kelly could marry Aaliyah, because Kelly believed that she was pregnant — and if they were married, she could not then be forced to testify against him in court.

Also they were trying to bribe people after Surviving R. Kelly came out but I can't paste the entire article. I don't think there was previous evidence he was going after boys too?

• Useful 13
  • Love 1