Type keyword(s) to search

Predator and Prey: Assault, harassment, and other aggressions in the entertainment industry

Message added by OtterMommy

The guidelines for this thread are in the first post.  Please familiarize yourself with them and check frequently as any changes or additions will be posted there (as well as in an in-thread post).

• Start Topic

@methodwriter85 Btw, thank you for that great recommendation. I'm interested to see what that youtube creator does going forward as most of his stuff seems related to movies but it was very thoughtful and a worthwhile watch even as someone who has known about this relationship for many years. I think the video was a good example of how you don't need shocking new revelations to analyze or re-contextualize a situation. The parts about the media being complicit and predatory behavior not requiring intent were interesting points. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Apparently, Peacock has a three part docuseries on Ghislaine Maxwell. Anyone seen it yet?

Is one part devoted to pronouncing her name?

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

https://people.com/tv/drake-bell-pleads-guilty-attempted-child-endangerment/

I’m not familiar with this actor or the situation.  Apparently, more details will be revealed at the sentencing.  

Bell was in Cleveland for an appearance.  A 15 year old Canadian girl who was there for his concert apparently DM'd him on social media and they chatted back and forth.  Despite the fact that he was around 30 and knew the girl's age; he made multiple sexually suggestive comments in the chat.  Eventually, she and her parents took it to the police in Canada and they contact the Cleveland cops who arrested him.  Must've been a pretty good case or he wouldn't have pleaded out.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Bell was in Cleveland for an appearance.  A 15 year old Canadian girl who was there for his concert apparently DM'd him on social media and they chatted back and forth.  Despite the fact that he was around 30 and knew the girl's age; he made multiple sexually suggestive comments in the chat.  Eventually, she and her parents took it to the police in Canada and they contact the Cleveland cops who arrested him.  Must've been a pretty good case or he wouldn't have pleaded out.

I do appreciate when idiots leave a trail. Never learn morons, never learn. (See also Josh Duggar)

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

I did some reading and read that his ex girlfriend accused him of abuse.  I didn’t see any additional proof of that allegation, except she is adamant about it and claims she has photos as proof.  
https://people.com/tv/drake-bell-accused-abuse-ex-girlfriend-denies-claims/

I do wonder why so many people are abusive in their relationships ( if this is the case).....this is with the people you claim to love, yet you hurt them.....I just don’t get it.  I guess the reasons vary from substance abuse, mental illness, sociopathy, lack of nurture in childhood, suffering abuse as children, narcissistic personality disorder, etc.  It seems to be so prevalent in our society.  It’s so unnecessary. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I do wonder why so many people are abusive in their relationships ( if this is the case).....this is with the people you claim to love, yet you hurt them.....I just don’t get it.  I guess the reasons vary from substance abuse, mental illness, sociopathy, lack of nurture in childhood, suffering abuse as children, narcissistic personality disorder, etc.  It seems to be so prevalent in our society.  It’s so unnecessary. 

It’s my personal belief that it is a result of not teaching people what healthy relationships look like or how to handle conflict. We spend over a decade trying to cram facts into kids brains and no time teaching how to be happy, functioning adults. 

43 minutes ago, Dani said:

It’s my personal belief that it is a result of not teaching people what healthy relationships look like or how to handle conflict. We spend over a decade trying to cram facts into kids brains and no time teaching how to be happy, functioning adults. 

True. I also think that a lot of people fail to learn how to control their temper.  If they are displeased, they lash out. Apparently, it’s allowed as they grow up and they never learn  self control or delayed gratification.  So, they may be an adult, but emotionally they are still a child. 

• Love 11
On 6/24/2021 at 1:21 PM, possibilities said:

That's really gross AND hypocritical of him. 

Hahahahahahaha......to you, Eddie. I can't believe I use to watch Dexter's Laboratory. I hope that waitress sues him till his head falls. Jerk!

• Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

What a shame. We have heard this story before though- young people eager to break into the entertainment industry, groomed by people they trusted and then the person crosses a very big bright red illegal line. (allegedly) No way can Kyle claim he thought he was speaking with an adult can he?

If this is the same case he was sued over a few years ago there is no way he can claim he didn’t know.  In that situation he met the girl when she was only 4 and became a family friend so he can’t claim ignorance. 
ETA: TMZ is saying that the two cases are linked.

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, Dani said:

If this is the same case he was sued over a few years ago there is no way he can claim he didn’t know.  It that situation he met the girl when she was only 4 and became a family friend so he can’t claim ignorance. 
ETA: TMZ is saying that the two cases are linked.

This is so sad. And the thing is I think it’s good for children to have older mentors and adult role models that aren’t their parents but you have to be SO CAREFUL with these creeps out here. 

The girl was very brave to tell her parents what was going on. I couldn’t imagine how confusing that must’ve been from an adult she trusted. 

Again- can we not like anyone any more???

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I didn’t watch the documentary on the NXIVM case but I remembered she was involved. I do wonder if she will serve time. 

While she was one of the ringleaders, she also turned on the head honcho and cooperated with the investigation. If she goes to jail, it probably won't be for long. Might even escape with a hell of a fine, community service, suspended sentence kind of thing.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Anduin said:

While she was one of the ringleaders, she also turned on the head honcho and cooperated with the investigation. If she goes to jail, it probably won't be for long. Might even escape with a hell of a fine, community service, suspended sentence kind of thing.

Her lawyer is asking for no jail time but that should be a stretch. The sentencing guideline for her conviction is 14 to 17.5 years. The prosecutors are recommending less time because she cooperated. 

10 minutes ago, Dani said:

Her lawyer is asking for no jail time but that should be a stretch. The sentencing guideline for her conviction is 14 to 17.5 years. The prosecutors are recommending less time because she cooperated. 

Wow. I was expecting only lightly scathed, but I wouldn't call even the low end light. So maybe 5 to 10 years. Not that I'm that familiar with the American legal system, I'm just making up numbers because they're nice and round.

In short, ignore me. I know very little.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Alison Mack was the mastermind behind the branding.   No way she gets off easy no matter how much she cooperated.   She did the branding, she recruited slaves, she was very involved.   Think Ghislaine Maxwell level of involvement.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Alison Mack was the mastermind behind the branding.   No way she gets off easy no matter how much she cooperated.   She did the branding, she recruited slaves, she was very involved.   Think Ghislaine Maxwell level of involvement.

Yeah, she didn’t just drink the kool-aid, she mixed it up and handed out the cups. 

• Love 20

I am hoping her lawyer suggestion of no jail time at all is just them swinging for the fences. Because she was involved up to her neck.   She was right there with him coming up with DOS.  All the ceremonies were held at her home, she was the one collecting blackmail level collateral on women.  Her voice is the one on their phones forcing them to do shit and recruit other women. 

I am curious why her recording was so special since, they had actual testimony from the women he'd held imprisoned for years.  Also given how narcissistic Keith is almost everything he did was recorded.  I mean, they had enough primary source material for two documentaries.  I am sure there were other smoking guns.

• Useful 5
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

I am hoping her lawyer suggestion of no jail time at all is just them swinging for the fences. Because she was involved up to her neck.   She was right there with him coming up with DOS.  All the ceremonies were held at her home, she was the one collecting blackmail level collateral on women.  Her voice is the one on their phones forcing them to do shit and recruit other women. 

I’m sure it is. Her defense is really trying to paint her as another victim who has completely turned her life around but that falls apart a lot when you look at what she did. There will be victim statements read at her sentencing.

1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

I am curious why her recording was so special since, they had actual testimony from the women he'd held imprisoned for years.  Also given how narcissistic Keith is almost everything he did was recorded.  I mean, they had enough primary source material for two documentaries.  I am sure there were other smoking guns.

They did play the recording from her multiple times during the trial but I wouldn’t read too much into the prosecution talking about how helpful she was. Most likely the prosecutor giving her a favorable recommendation is one of the things they agreed to as part of the plea negotiations. 

(edited)
9 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Wow, just catching up on this scandal on Wikipedia.  Raniere got 120 years, how did she only get 3?

Because they weren’t initially charged with all of the same crimes and she took a plea deal and cooperated so only had to plead guilty to racketeering and he was found guilty of Sex trafficking (2 counts), Racketeering, Forced labor conspiracy, Attempted sex trafficking, Wire fraud conspiracy, and Racketeering conspiracy.

And in much worse news. 

Fuck off, Pennsylvania Supreme Court!

It’s apparently due the DA stating that he wouldn’t prosecute if Cosby testified in the civil suit. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 2
4 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Because they weren’t initially charged with all of the same crimes and she took a plea deal and cooperated so only had to plead guilty to racketeering and he was found guilty of Sex trafficking (2 counts), Racketeering, Forced labor conspiracy, Attempted sex trafficking, Wire fraud conspiracy, and Racketeering conspiracy.

And in much worse news. 

Fuck off, Pennsylvania Supreme Court!

6cb3bfc057f4af2c0ae30609f75ea485.gif.2a4d8bd42047e26baab76a210dca936a.gif

tenor.gif

• Love 20