Type keyword(s) to search

Predator and Prey: Assault, harassment, and other aggressions in the entertainment industry

Message added by OtterMommy

The guidelines for this thread are in the first post.  Please familiarize yourself with them and check frequently as any changes or additions will be posted there (as well as in an in-thread post).

• Start Topic

(edited)

Wasn't Epstein let off the hook in Florida because the prosecutors agreed not to pursue any prosecutions? Seems like these deals, and the prosecutors who make them, need to be investigated for everything from conflict of interest to flat out corruption.

How can one person have that much legal power? Is it any wonder people have so little faith in the judicial system, when technicalities like this can allow people to go free even though it is absolutely known that they are not?

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Useful 4
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Legit stunned by the Cosby news.

But please, anti-#MeToo people, do go on about how this movement is totally destroying the accused's lives. 

It’s usually different if you’re not rich and famous. I’ve seen and heard of a few lives destroyed over false accusations.

• Love 2

I flipped the channel from MSNBC to MLB Network because I couldn't bear to see him coming out gloating to the car with his Stepford Wife by his side. The reason why I had MSNBC on at that hour was because I was watching the latest on the Florida apartment building collapse - and then the breaking news from PA came on. 

I hear that Cosby is going to address the media from his home soon. He really has no shame. 😡😡😡😡😡

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

For me with Cosby I can vaguely remember a time when I defended him - I think I can remember feeling that what he was being accused of could not possibly be true. 

I never liked him. Not even during the Fat Albert days. Even as a kid I got a vibe from him that there was something bad going on with him.  When the accusations started I thought yep I knew he was a bad guy.  My sincere hope is he lives the rest of his years as an outcast. I don't even want to see any interviews with him.

Other than Phylicia are any other celebs celebrating his release?

• Love 7
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Wasn't Epstein let off the hook in Florida because the prosecutors agreed not to pursue any prosecutions? Seems like these deals, and the prosecutors who make them, need to be investigated for everything from conflict of interest to flat out corruption.

With Epstein they made a deal that he plead guilty on two counts and he had immunity on the rest. That was also a federal case so it was a US attorney who oversaw that deal and a judge had to accept the deal. 

Edited by Guest
(edited)
35 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I haven’t heard a peep from the MeToo posse. Why is that? 

Who exactly is the MeToo posse? Regardless, this ruling says nothing about his guilt or innocence. The facts of what he did are exactly the same as they were yesterday. 

Edited by Guest

And people wonder why there's a whole movement to overhaul the entire criminal justice system.  In facepalming irony this was announced the same hour as Allison Macks conviction.

• Love 16
3 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Re Cosby - has he really only been in jail for 2 years?  Seems longer.

Not long enough.

WTF. I hope that at least all further news come without photos of his disgusting face, because I feel like throwing up just from looking at it.

• Love 13
(edited)
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

Some have gone on record supporting him - Geraldo Rivera for one but there were a few others.  I will try and link the article I saw.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
How bizarre, the article I originally linked wouldn't open for me but worked for the person who quoted it before I deleted. I will never understand the Internet!
  • Love 1

Seems like these deals, and the prosecutors who make them, need to be investigated for everything from conflict of interest to flat out corruption.

Biased but I 100% believe Bruce Cantor did this intentionally and not accidentally.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Yeah, I'm not sure that being released on a technicality because a prosecutor made a deal to not go after him if he testified in a civil suit is quite the vindication that Geraldo and D.L. Hughley seem to think it is.

I'm sure it won't stop his supporters from crowing about justice, nor the book he's probably planning to write (or have written for him) so he can capitalise on this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Not long enough.

WTF. I hope that at least all further news come without photos of his disgusting face, because I feel like throwing up just from looking at it.

I know how you feel. Every time I see this playing on the news I just 

Tom Hiddleston Marvel GIF by Nerdist.com

• Love 11
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Fuck off, Phylicia! This is not a vindication for what he even ADMITTED TO DOING! She also limited her replies so someone on her team probably realizes this was about to get her dragged. 

lee daniels shut up GIF by Empire FOX

• Love 19
1 minute ago, RedElf said:

Now that she's a dean at Howard University, I wonder how students who were raped will feel about coming to her to report their rape.

They'll need to do their research and find out if she's friends with the person who raped them or not.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

But after 60 women say the exact same thing, and he ADMITS IT, how could you open your mouth and defend him? Just because he was your friend and good to YOU, doesn't mean that it's okay for them to drug and assault people. Even if they were "insert prerogative for women here" or the second coming of the Virgin Mary, it was wrong- not an excuse!

This is why I just can't with her. It's one thing if he denied everything. Okay, he's your friend, he's saying he's innocent and you want to believe him. But she's saying that it was unjust to put a fucking rapist in jail. She's saying that because he was nice to her, he should be able to drug and fuck anyone else he wants (so long as it's no one she knows presumably). She's saying because she likes him he should be given a pass to do whatever to whoever he wants. That is beyond fucked up. That's bordering on psychopathic!

Justice would have been his victims knowing he would never be free again. 

• Love 11
(edited)

So weird that on the same day Allison Mack is sentenced to 3 years that Bill Cosby gets out on having essentially served only 3 years  -- both for sexually victimizing a lot of women because of legal deal making.  Kinda boggles the mind.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Useful 7
  • Love 13
52 minutes ago, kittykat said:

And people wonder why there's a whole movement to overhaul the entire criminal justice system.  In facepalming irony this was announced the same hour as Allison Macks conviction.

You're not kidding. This has not been a good month - also this morning, it was announced that former Cleveland Indians and current LA Dodger pitcher Trevor Bauer has been accused of sexual assault (more in the MLB thread). Not a good day. It should be called the no justice system. 😡😡😡😡😡

7 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

What bullshit! Absolute bullshit! Crosby is out of jail despite admitting to what he did and Allison Mack only gets three years after all she did.

So, Cosby drugs and rapes women for years (and the rumors had been circulating until Hannibal Buress forced the issue) and admits he did it and gets released on a technicality after two years.  Allison Mack branded and tortured women as sex slaves and gets three years and a small (for her) fine.

But once again money keeps a rich man (or woman) out of jail.  I wish my cynicism would let me get more outraged over this.  But I will offer this small kernel of hope: systems break down when people see they no longer function.  If this isn't a clear example that the system no longer functions, I don't know what is.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
46 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

But she's saying that it was unjust to put a fucking rapist in jail. She's saying that because he was nice to her, he should be able to drug and fuck anyone else he wants (so long as it's no one she knows presumably). She's saying because she likes him he should be given a pass to do whatever to whoever he wants. That is beyond fucked up. That's bordering on psychopathic!

This reminds me of the time Whoopie stated publicly that Roman Polanski shouldn’t be held accountable for the rape of an underaged, drugged teenager because “it wasn’t ‘rape’ rape,” whatever the hell that means.

Edited by Auntie Anxiety
  • Love 1
(edited)

This is deep-fried fuckery at its worst. Contrary to Phylicia Rashad's bullshit opinion, Cosby's conviction being overturned on a technicality isn't redemption, it isn't vindication and it sure as Hell isn't exoneration. The world not only knows what a scumbag Cosby is, HE! ADMITTED! IT! Cosby was credibly accused not once, not twice, but FIFTY-EIGHT TIMES! They aren't "confused," they aren't "crazy" and IMO, they ain't lying. As for the clout-chaser/golddigger theories, there are much easier ways to get money and/or fame than accusing someone of Cosby's former stature of rape. 

As for Phylicia Rashad, to paraphrase my very first GIF post, she needs to shut her ass up. To say that her loyalty to Cosby is misguided at best is an understatement. That goes double for Camille Cosby. Their attitudes are not only slaps in the face to Cosby's victims, since Rashad's about to become a Dean at Howard University, it sends a message to the students that if Heaven forbid they're ever sexually assaulted, that they shouldn't even try to do anything about it because chances are she probably wouldn't believe them anyway. 

Besides being exposed (no pun intended) for the pervert he is, another bright side to Cosby's conviction being overturned is that his days are numbered and that, like O.J. Simpson, for all intents and purposes, his life is over in the Court Of Public Opinion, if not in a court of law. As far as I'm concerned, Cosby will pay for all of his crimes, if not in this life, then definitely in the next. 

ETA: @Chaos Theory: The picture is of Taraji P. Henson, not Tariq Nasheed.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 18

To anyone on the internet who has ever posted "why didn't she report it?". Today's a pretty good fucking example of why:

Rapist Bill Cosby gets out.

Groomer Allison Mack gets 3 yrs.

Perpetual harraser James Franco settles.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

I am not sure how I feel about Allison Mack.  I admit to being a bit conflicted in her case.    I kinda feel it is one of those abused spouse cases that commit a horrible crime on the behest of their abusive husband (yes I know it s a bad anology but its the best I can come up with).  They are still guilty as hell but you do still feel a little sorry for them.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Prayer circle that he drops dead this week. That’s the only way I can live with this.

No I want his career to go up in flames when he tries to revive it. And any job foolish enough to hire him to post armed guards to keep the women on set safe.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The rapist is out of jail ALREADY.    People have been exonerated from death row and waited longer for their paperwork to process.   Like literally, the Supreme Court handed down the decision and they opened the cell door.   Fuck you Pennsylvania.  

Also how the fuck was this issue not raised at trial?   the deal would have been known.   

I heard today that it was raised at trial and preserved for appeal, though I haven’t read the entire opinion yet.  

• Useful 2
10 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

ETA: @Chaos Theory: The picture is of Taraji P. Henson, not Tariq Nasheed.

Now I feel stupid.   Not the first time I confused two actors but I feel really really bad in this case.

56 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

This is deep-fried fuckery at its worst. Contrary to Phylicia Rashad's bullshit opinion, Cosby's conviction being overturned on a technicality isn't redemption, it isn't vindication and it sure as Hell isn't exoneration. The world not only knows what a scumbag Cosby is, HE! ADMITTED! IT! Cosby was credibly accused not once, not twice, but FIFTY-EIGHT TIMES! They aren't "confused," they aren't "crazy" and IMO, they ain't lying. As for the clout-chaser/golddigger theories, there are much easier ways to get money and/or fame than accusing someone of Cosby's former stature of rape. 

As for Phylicia Rashad, to paraphrase my very first GIF post, she needs to shut her ass up. To say that her loyalty to Cosby is misguided at best is an understatement. That goes double for Camille Cosby. Their attitudes are not only slaps in the face to Cosby's victims, since Rashad's about to become a Dean at Howard University, it sends a message to the students that if Heaven forbid they're ever sexually assaulted, that they shouldn't even try to do anything about it because chances are she probably wouldn't believe them 

I always thought Claire Huxtable was a shitty parent. Turns out it's because PR is a shitty person!

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Wait James Franco has 2.2 Millon dollars???!!! 

I mean he has been a steadily working actor in tv and films for about 20 years including big budget stuff like three Spider-Man movies. 

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I am not sure how I feel about Allison Mack.  I admit to being a bit conflicted in her case.    I kinda feel it is one of those abused spouse cases that commit a horrible crime on the behest of their abusive husband (yes I know it s a bad anology but its the best I can come up with).  They are still guilty as hell but you do still feel a little sorry for them.

Allison Mack is an interesting case for me.  I think all of Keith's cult members were groomed in some way to think Keith was the bestest thing ever before they ever met with him.

But famous people or money people were treated differently than others in the group because Keith wanted to use them for funding, access to powerful people and to try and recruit other famous people to the group.  He was careful with them.

All of this is to say that I think he tapped into something she wanted to do.  She did this because she wanted to please him. Unlike his other victims, however, I don't think she was made to feel like she needed to please him.  She was on a long running TV show.  She had status. 

I could be wrong but the documentaries showed her first meeting with Keith and she was gaga right from the start. Tapes documented her being active in creating DOS--not just pushing his message. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
(edited)
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So, will India Oxenberg be prosecuted?  She was involved in recruiting and defending the others until after Keith’s arrest, right?

Pretty certain everyone who is going to be charged has been charged there were 5 in addition to Raniere  and all much more involved than India. Bro damn got six years and I believe the other three haven’t been sentenced. 

Edited by biakbiak

I haven't looked too much into the NXIVM mess, but from the little I know I don't understand why Nicki Clyne wasn't ever even arrested and threatened with prosecution in an attempt to turn her into a cooperating witness.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
53 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I mean he has been a steadily working actor in tv and films for about 20 years including big budget stuff like three Spider-Man movies. 

I mean it's more than a joke than anything but he just seems so...irrelevant and kind of like a last minute addition to the things I've seen him in.  

Edit: wait he was in Spider-Man?? Seriously!  He just does not make any sorry of impression on me, does he??? 

Edited by callie lee 29
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Pretty certain everyone who is going to be charged has been charged there were 5 in addition to Raniere  and all much more involved than India. Bro damn got six years and I believe the other three haven’t been sentenced. 

India is a better example of someone groomed and abused by Raniere than Alison Mack.   India was very much buried in the cult until her mother got her out.   Mack was there right to the end and came up with DOS, the branding, etc.    India was just annother person they had blackmail material on who had to go along to protect herself.   Mack had agency, and although India did to some extent, she really was in over her head.

4 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Biased but I 100% believe Bruce Cantor did this intentionally and not accidentally.

Based on Cantor's post prosecutor career, I would say so.    I would llike to see his whole record of prosecuting rapists.    I would bet it is not good.   I miiiiiiiight have remarked to a friend considering his post prosecutor career that I wondered if he was friends with Epstein too.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
22 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

India is a better example of someone groomed and abused by Raniere than Alison Mack.   India was very much buried in the cult until her mother got her out.   Mack was there right to the end and came up with DOS, the branding, etc.    India was just annother person they had blackmail material on who had to go along to protect herself.   Mack had agency, and although India did to some extent, she really was in over her head.

Based on Cantor's post prosecutor career, I would say so.    I would llike to see his whole record of prosecuting rapists.    I would bet it is not good.   I miiiiiiiight have remarked to a friend considering his post prosecutor career that I wondered if he was friends with Epstein too.   

Hmmmm.... I’ve seen a couple of different documentaries about it, including the one she did about herself and I got a different impression.  She’s fortunate if she has avoided prosecution, imo.  
https://variety.com/2020/tv/features/nxivm-cult-india-oxenberg-catherine-oxenberg-seduced-docuseries-1234796912/

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I never liked him. Not even during the Fat Albert days. Even as a kid I got a vibe from him that there was something bad going on with him.  When the accusations started I thought yep I knew he was a bad guy.  My sincere hope is he lives the rest of his years as an outcast. I don't even want to see any interviews with him.

I remember when he fired Lisa Bonet for being pregnant- I was a little girl at the time and that seemed WEIRD to me. Why not just hide her behind a box or something? His obsession with the “Madonna/whore” complex was pinging my radar as a LITTLE GIRL. When everything came out it made sense. Personally I think he tried to assault her (or wanted to) or she saw something/protected a potential victim and he wanted to make her life hell after that because he couldn’t “have her”. Fits with what we know now. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
31 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Hmmmm.... I’ve seen a couple of different documentaries about it, including the one she did about herself and I got a different impression.  She’s fortunate if she has avoided prosecution, imo.  
https://variety.com/2020/tv/features/nxivm-cult-india-oxenberg-catherine-oxenberg-seduced-docuseries-1234796912/

My impression after watching the two docs is more in line with @merylinkid's assessment.  NVIXM is nothing but a pyramid scheme with Keith at the top.  Allison and the Bronfmans were his second layer, right at the top with him and big decision makers. 

India was definitely lower.  She drank all the kool-aid but she was not in the inner circle.  Because NVIXM and DOS were operated as a pyramid, she was a second tier slave, but she also had to recruit her own slaves.  So in that sense she had some culpability, but then again she had provided collateral and was kept in a constant state of sleep deprivation and her food was controlled.  So I don't think she had near the level of agency that Allison did.  Also, after Allison was arrested, she "found" a lot of incriminating tapes about just how high Allison was in the structure and I believe she had her own get out of jail free card by turning on Allison.  So just like NVIXM itself, the level of cooperating with the authorities seems to have played out like a pyramid: India gives up Allison and Allison in turn gives up Keith.

• Useful 4
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It generally takes more than bringing in new people to be prosecuted. They only charged the people at the highest levels. With people below that the line between perpetrator and victim is blurry. Plus she voluntarily worked with the prosecution making it less likely they would ever charge her. 

It’s a interesting line with cults when someone wakes up and gets out. I’ve thought about that a lot with Scientology. Some people who did some horrific things are now the loudest whistleblowers. It raises a lot of issues about culpability. 

Edited by Guest
3 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I always thought Claire Huxtable was a shitty parent. Turns out it's because PR is a shitty person!

Janet Hubert called her out for her celebration.

2 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

I mean it's more than a joke than anything but he just seems so...irrelevant and kind of like a last minute addition to the things I've seen him in.  

Edit: wait he was in Spider-Man?? Seriously!  He just does not make any sorry of impression on me, does he??? 

He was nominated for an Oscar for 127 Hours.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
(edited)
51 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Why not just hide her behind a box or something?

The show runner and some of the other people working on A Different World actually wanted to write it into the show because they thought it would be an interesting and realistic storyline of her trying to juggle both but they were overruled (it was in the recent oral history in Vanity Fair about ADW that also mentioned the Tempest/Darryl relationship*).
*eta there was nothing shady about Tempest/Darryl’s relationship I just forgot all the surprise that they have been married for 27 years was in the general celebrity thread).

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 9
  • Love 3