Type keyword(s) to search

Predator and Prey: Assault, harassment, and other aggressions in the entertainment industry

Message added by OtterMommy

The guidelines for this thread are in the first post.  Please familiarize yourself with them and check frequently as any changes or additions will be posted there (as well as in an in-thread post).

• Start Topic

(edited)

I am wondering if a 17 year old like Jack Dylan Grazer knew what he did was wrong, but he just felt entitled due to his celebrity status. I would think so. I know young people do stupid mistakes, but his seem very problematic ala the Coreys.

Edited by letter8358
  • Love 4

Lauren "I'll do anything you want as long as you promise me a baby" Salzman?   Umm no.   She was crazy to want a kid with Raniere (did she think he would love only her then as the mother of his kid?).    But she went along with everything to achieve her own ends.   

Although considering the light sentences handed out lately I shouldn't be surprised.   Ghislaine Maxwell has nothing to worry about.   She's can figure she will get time served as this point.

• Love 3

Chinese star Kris Wu detained by Chinese Police for rape. He's one of China's biggest celebrities. One of his defenses is there wasn't any underage sex....because the age of consent in China is 14 :/. This is a pretty bid deal in China since officials are actually doing something about the allegations and not ignoring them like usual.

The move marks a milestone for China’s treatment of sexual assault cases in the entertainment industry. Sexual assault scandals involving Chinese celebrities are very rarely resolved quickly. Female victims often choose to remain silent about their experiences because those who do step forward to lodge formal complaints often find themselves in a drawn-out civil suit rather than a criminal suit.

This case, which has ignited the Chinese internet for weeks, appears to be different.

A 19-year-old college student, Du Meizhu, has been the public face of the accusations against Wu. Since early July, she has been posting allegations on social media that he purportedly got her drunk at a party and date raped her, and that he has done the same to at least seven other young women, often found via casting calls or selected from his fan groups.

I think it's now 24 women who have come forward. I wonder if the attention is because one of those women is related to a high ranking Party member.

• Useful 1
On 7/29/2021 at 9:35 AM, MargeGunderson said:

Yeah, I don’t get that one. She was just as culpable as Alison Mack, if not more so, and if my memory is correct, stayed loyal for longer than Mack did.

Actually, as I understand Salzman was the first of those charged to turn on Raniere and it's suggested that the evidence she was able to provide helped convince Mack to do so as well. She was fully cooperative with the prosecution while Mack was helpful but "could have done more."

Not saying Salzman didn't deserve prison time, but I can see why she got off lighter than Mack.

Edit: What really steams my clams is people like Nicki Clyne and the rest of the First Line (so far) getting off scot free.

Edited by LadyAmalthea
  • Useful 6
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Anduin said:

It's a tricky one. He says it was consensual, and now she's trying to blackmail him. She says it was rape. They both claim to have recordings that support their story, but it's all in Swedish. I don't know what to think.

I read somewhere that on the recording she admitted that it was consensual but that it wouldn't matter because she would lie about it. I'm sure the tapes have been translated though. I agree it's a bit tricky but so far I'm leaning towards his side.

• Useful 6
16 minutes ago, MaggieG said:

I read somewhere that on the recording she admitted that it was consensual but that it wouldn't matter because she would lie about it. I'm sure the tapes have been translated though. I agree it's a bit tricky but so far I'm leaning towards his side.

That's probably the best outcome, because I don't want anyone to be a racist. Especially not an actor I like. However, if there's another outcome, I have no problem dropping my support for him.

Actually, I was idly wondering if it was a case of buyer's regret. If she changed her mind after the fact. I don't want to sound like I'm demonising anyone here, but I'm sure that kind of thing can happen in hookups as much as other areas.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Anduin said:

That's probably the best outcome, because I don't want anyone to be a racist. Especially not an actor I like. However, if there's another outcome, I have no problem dropping my support for him.

Actually, I was idly wondering if it was a case of buyer's regret. If she changed her mind after the fact. I don't want to sound like I'm demonising anyone here, but I'm sure that kind of thing can happen in hookups as much as other areas.

Agreed. I'm a fan of his so I do hope what she's saying isn't true.

It's possible. He said on Instagram that they had consensual sex, but didn't spend the night together because he had to work. Just my speculation but maybe he got busy with work,  didn't want anything serious with her and she didn't take kindly to that. From what he said she wanted money, connections, a work visa. It's possible she sought him out for those reasons alone and he just wanted to get laid and nothing more. He's currently engaged to someone else. 

• Love 2

It was announced today that Ivo van Hove's new production of West Side Story will not reopen on Broadway.

The following statement was released:

"It is with great regret that we are announcing today that the 2020 Broadway revival of West Side Story will not reopen. This difficult and painful decision comes after we have explored every possible path to a successful run, and unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, reopening is not a practical proposition. We thank all the brilliant, creative artists who brought West Side Story to life at the Broadway Theatre, even for so brief a time, especially the extraordinary acting company, 33 of whom made their Broadway debuts in this production."

- Kate Horton, Producer

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Broadway-Revival-of-WEST-SIDE-STORY-Will-Not-Reopen-20210809

This show had mixed word of mouth but I have to believe all the stories about Scott Rudin played a big factor in it not returning.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, MaggieG said:

Agreed. I'm a fan of his so I do hope what she's saying isn't true.

It's possible. He said on Instagram that they had consensual sex, but didn't spend the night together because he had to work. Just my speculation but maybe he got busy with work,  didn't want anything serious with her and she didn't take kindly to that. From what he said she wanted money, connections, a work visa. It's possible she sought him out for those reasons alone and he just wanted to get laid and nothing more. He's currently engaged to someone else. 

Yeah. It's just not good all around.

For obvious reasons this thread does not contain much levity but this news from jury selection in the R. Kelly trial amused me! 

the entire thread is about the different perspective jurors if anyone is interested! 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 8/9/2021 at 1:40 PM, MaggieG said:

That’s what he wrote in his Instagram post. He also said that she knew she was being recorded which is the detail that bugs me. Why would she admit to anything if she knew she was being recorded? Either she is extremely stupid or he is lying. That little detail makes his entire statement suspect to me. 

As an aside, I really dislike how the person accused in these situations usually tries to make it sound like they were in a romantic relationship with the accuser. It’s one of those subtle things done to manipulate people’s opinions. 

8 hours ago, Dani said:

Why would she admit to anything if she knew she was being recorded? Either she is extremely stupid or he is lying. That little detail makes his entire statement suspect to me. 

If he says there's a recording, he might need to produce a recording.

As for whether or not she knew--she might have been informed but she also might have forgotten.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

As for whether or not she knew--she might have been informed but she also might have forgotten.

If they both have stated they have recordings to back them up, it would have to be produced in any court hearing I assume.  

So, one of them is being stupid.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

He said that she admitted it was consensual, that she admitted she would lie about it while threatening him and that she knew at the time that she was being recorded. Those three things combined don’t make sense to me. It makes me think he is lying about her knowing she was being recorded over legal issues with recording someone without their knowledge. Or she is an idiot for admitting she’s lying while knowing she was being recorded.  There’s not enough information available for me to have clue which it is. 

She has filed an official complaint and Swedish authorities are investigating.

Edited by Guest

Wild speculation, but after the Armie Hammer stories, I'm wondering if there was an element of roleplay that went too far or became coercive or outright sexual assault. It feels very strange for them to both have recordings. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, letter8358 said:

Holy shit! It goes back that far? Damn! What was Lorne doing around that time, anyway?  It is his job as boss to make sure employees don't do anything questionable. What gives, man? Fallon, too! 

It's not Lorne Michael, or any other producers, job to follow their employees around and monitor their  personal lives. Especially if there are no complaints.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, bobalina said:

It's not Lorne Michael, or any other producers, job to follow their employees around and monitor their  personal lives. Especially if there are no complaints.

I disagree! Producers are the BOSSES of the sets and responsible for the shows' wellbeing which includes every single cast member and employee. Hence, if one employee is being harassed by any other employee, the boss is supposed to step in and tell the harasser to knock it off or it's curtains for them! 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, bobalina said:

In this case they were using their work email, most likely during work hours (mainly because SNL hours are crazy) and she was present at official work events (yes it’s an after party but it’s thrown by the show).

• Love 5

Where were her parents?!?!? I don't care if it was a different time. He was an adult then. Never thought he was funny on SNL. He always looked like a skeevy pervert. And Jimmy Fallon.....! Now I see why they were always together. A bunch of stupid frat boys!

• Love 5

Ghislaine Maxwell tried to use Cosby's 'get out of jail free' card, and the Judge shot it down.

Lawyers for Maxwell said her case was similar because she had been immunized under Epstein's 2007 nonprosecution agreement (NPA) with federal prosecutors in Florida, in exchange for pleading guilty to Florida state prostitution charges.

But Nathan said the cases weren't the same, and adhered to her April ruling that Epstein's agreement did not bind the Manhattan prosecutors or cover accused co-conspirators.

Cosby's case "focused on whether prosecutors were required to honor a promise that the court found to be clear in the absence of a formal plea agreement," Nathan wrote.

"Even if this Court agreed with the analysis in [Cosby's case], that opinion sheds no light on the proper interpretation of the NPA in this case," she added.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

In this case they were using their work email, most likely during work hours (mainly because SNL hours are crazy) and she was present at official work events (yes it’s an after party but it’s thrown by the show).

And with no contemporaneous  complaint how is Michael's supposed to know?

Honestly I don't think any boss anywhere can or should spy on employees without reasonable cause.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, bobalina said:

Honestly I don't think any boss anywhere can or should spy on employees without reasonable cause.

The suit which also includes NBC and SNL states that the powers that be did know her age and knew that she was at these parties getting served drinks. An adult man having a teenager he is not related to be his guest at company events where she is being served alcohol should be enough of a flag to at least be asking some questions if only to cover for the liability of her being at these company events and being served.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 18
3 hours ago, bobalina said:

According to the lawsuit she was introduced to Lorne Michaels at a party where she had talked openly about being a junior in high school and was served alcohol. If he didn’t know it’s because he chose to turn a blind eye rather than ask pertinent questions. He either knew or he should have known.

He and others saw a 32 year old drinking with and groping a teen and did nothing. It shouldn’t take a complaint to know that something was wrong and at least ensure that it couldn’t happen on set or at official events. 

Edited by Guest
4 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Titans' Vincent Kartheiser investigated for on-set misconduct.

Sounds like he was being your basic asshole.

“Vincent Kartheiser vehemently denies the allegations,” a spokesperson for the actor said in a statement. “Warner Bros investigated this matter and made clear to Mr. Kartheiser its expectations for behavior on the set, and he agreed to comply with their directives.”

How can he deny them when he was assigned an on set monitor? How does he explain that?

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Dani said:

According to the lawsuit she was introduced to Lorne Michaels at a party where she had talked openly about being a junior in high school and was served alcohol. If he didn’t know it’s because he chose to turn a blind eye rather than ask pertinent questions. He either knew or he should have known.

He and others saw a 32 year old drinking with and groping a teen and did nothing. It shouldn’t take a complaint to know that something was wrong and at least ensure that it couldn’t happen on set or at official events. 

Pretty disturbing all around. And to think it happened in 2001 and 2002! Other than the statement mentioning Jimmy Fallon and Lorne Michaels, what did the other cast members say about this? Did they also turned a blind eye as well? Those cast members were not children! They were around their 20s and 30s. Especially when you count Darrell Hammond being the oldest cast member and he was in his mid-40s then. They were adults and if they put their sunglasses on the whole thing, well, shame on them. That's a minor, for God's sakes!

Edited by letter8358
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Even looking past his crimes, Shia LaDouche is an unlikable, unattractive, uncharismatic, untalented little shitter... so why does everyone keep giving him second chances? What is this sway he has over people?

Maybe it's a case of casting him to ensure movies will be   losses to counterbalance any gains for tax purposes .Still, I totally agree- and in addition to ALL the above, he was barely passable as comic relief when he was a teen before his ego exploded and he bought every shilly hype claimed about him and seems to have infinite entitlement and  zero sense of humor about himself. 

Truly did they even TRY to see if someone might have been interested in the role among the countless performers desperate to resume performing now that there are less health restrictions in place?

• Love 7

I mean, agreed, but, I do think there are people who think he's genuinely talented. I haven't seen him in anything since Holes so I don't know how much of that is the kind of nonsense pretentious artistic hype that seems to mostly be granted to white guys like James Franco. Hell, I'd even throw Woody Allen in there after the early movies. WHO CARES IF YOU LIKE JAZZ?

• Love 14