Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Cowboy Aerobics and 473 Grease-Free Bolts

Bort
  • Start Topic

Sheldon campaigns to become Dr. Linkletter’s lab assistant. Also, Georgie enlists the help of Mr. Lundy, the drama teacher, for a surprising business venture.

Airdate: 4 March 2021

Please, no discussing spoilers from The Big Bang Theory that have not “happened” yet. 

I want to say that I can't believe that Sheldon was ready to literally pimp out his mee maw, but I can.

Sheldon was super annoying, but I laughed at the marijuana thing.  IDK why.  

Not enough MIssy. 

I am also upset we didn't get Georgie doing Cowboy aerobics.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Not enough MIssy. 

Agreed. She's my favorite character.

I loved the speculation on whether Judge Wapner and the bailiff are friends in real life. "You can't fake that kind of chemistry."

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Agreed. She's my favorite character.

I loved the speculation on whether Judge Wapner and the bailiff are friends in real life. "You can't fake that kind of chemistry."

I forgot that they got a calculator to figure out 1 million times 40.  

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, freeser said:

And way too much Lundy.  For me, he adds nothing to the show and took up time we could have been watching the regular cast members of the family.  The six main characters are so good, I just don't see the need to add someone else like Lundy to take time away from the others.  

Was George even in it other than the late phone call scene?

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Was George even in it other than the late phone call scene?

Yes he was in the truck driving Sheldon home and telling him he had to live up to his responsibilities.

I just thought of something.  Why didn't Lundy know what Georgie's father does?  He works at the same school.

• Love 19

I had no idea we were gonna be hassling the Hoff tonight! 

I would absolutely love to see the original video cowboy exercise video that Georgie made, I can only imagine how epic it was. So much lassoing. I think its been awhile since we got a plot with just Georgie and Meemaw so that was fun. 

Sheldon's brief history of lab assistants really amused me. "He didn't shoot him, but its neat that he could have." 

• Love 11

I actually wanted to see what a video of Georgie lifting weights while rhyming his sentences would've looked like!  Do curls if you want the girls!  I thought that was kind of cute. 

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Ah, pearls of wisdom from Missy!

• Love 10

It was fun seeing David Hasselhoff. I love how he always shows up for cameos on different shows/movies and has no issues making fun of himself. 

I also enjoyed George telling Sheldon that he made a promise and needs to be responsible. He's trying to teach Sheldon a good work ethic and that is something that Sheldon can carry with him for the rest of his life. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Yes he was in the truck driving Sheldon home and telling him he had to live up to his responsibilities.

Apparently I missed a whole scene...I swear I was sitting here the whole time.

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

I actually wanted to see what a video of Georgie lifting weights while rhyming his sentences would've looked like!  Do curls if you want the girls!  I thought that was kind of cute. 

Yeah, I wanted to see if Georgie would have made any money with his weight lifting video.  I knew there was going to be trouble when Lundy came up with Cowboy Aerobics, at that point it was no longer Georgie's idea.  I thought they were going to pull the camera out and show Mee-Maw exercising to the Hoff's video.  

We got another Sheldon laugh from Jim Parsons at the beginning.  George was grumpy, to follow up on his unhappiness with his life from last episode.  Mary's barely in this show anymore.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, rmontro said:

We got another Sheldon laugh from Jim Parsons at the beginning.  George was grumpy, to follow up on his unhappiness with his life from last episode.  Mary's barely in this show anymore.

It did seem like they were deliberately writing her out of the show for the past couple of weeks, but she is in the previews for next week so maybe it was just a temporary thing.

• Love 2

I saw that Melissa Joan Hart (a.k.a. Sabrina The Teenage Witch) directed this episode. I haven't seen her act in anything in a long time, so I was surprised to see she's still in the business.

1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

I'm sad that he let himself get talked out of his original concept. While aerobics was all the rage in the 80s and early 90s, strength training has become much more popular since then. Georgie could have become as famous as Tony Horton (of P90X fame) with his chiseled physique and corny jokes.

I love that Dr. Linkletter had Sheldon remove the grease from 473 bolts and then put a different kind of grease on them. Sheldon needed to have his ego checked. Too bad that his ego immediately inflated again when he noticed an error that Linkletter didn't.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

It was fun seeing David Hasselhoff. I love how he always shows up for cameos on different shows/movies and has no issues making fun of himself. 

I think Hasselhoff knows that the work he is famous for is pure popcorn and not serious high-brow material. George is an excellent father to Sheldon. 

Georgie and his get rich quick schemes are fantastic. I like they do about one per season. It's fun, enjoyable, and isn't overused too much in the series. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, freeser said:

And way too much Lundy.  For me, he adds nothing to the show and took up time we could have been watching the regular cast members of the family.  The six main characters are so good, I just don't see the need to add someone else like Lundy to take time away from the others.  

Yeah, they should not bring the Lundy character back. Annoying. Not funny. Missy reading the telephone book outloud would be much more entertaining to me.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

I just thought of something.  Why didn't Lundy know what Georgie's father does?  He works at the same school.

He doesn't seem like the kind of person who attends football games.  Probably one of the few at the school.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, rmontro said:

George was grumpy, to follow up on his unhappiness with his life from last episode.  Mary's barely in this show anymore.

I didn't really notice that he was grumpy.  He told Sheldon he needed to live up to responsibilities, which is true and he got woken up in the middle of the night.  By a wrong number:)

7 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I saw that Melissa Joan Hart (a.k.a. Sabrina The Teenage Witch) directed this episode. I haven't seen her act in anything in a long time, so I was surprised to see she's still in the business.

At the very least she seems to do Christmas movies every year.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Don't forget Sheldon's introduction and talking about Madame Curie.  "Irene was her Mom's lab assistant and she died of radiation poisoning, while her sister, Eve,  didn't help and selfishly lived to 102!!" (or something to that effect).  

I notice more of George's overall sadness now that he said he's not happy with his life.  That makes me sad.  I'm rooting for you, George! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
(edited)
11 hours ago, freeser said:

Yes! You nailed my thoughts exactly! I’m so disappointed with this character. Annoying and overdone. It’s only a half hour show and I’m always thinking his part wastes bandwidth.

Edited by aqusdealer
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, freeser said:

Agreed.  I love George Costanza, but Lundy can take a powder.  All the Lundy and Linkletter air time, I couldn't help but think how much better these college episodes could be with Dr. Sturgis at the school.

• Love 7

Waiting for Dr. Linkletter to snap. Sheldon will deserve it. 

Then again, Linkletter seems to not grasp that he is the adult here and he can tell Sheldon to knock it off. Or have a talk with his parents (someone should be supervising him better, frankly).

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I want to say that I can't believe that Sheldon was ready to literally pimp out his mee maw, but I can

I thought the same thing!😂 Sheldon pimping out mee maw! And I love Annie Potts, her expressions are better than anything she could have said😂😂

• Love 4

Another great episode, although I agree there wasn't enough Missy.

I don't know if it was accidental or not, but I liked it when Sheldon mentioned the term "Future Man" on his phone call with Professor Linkletter. I don't know the actor's name, but the guy that plays Linkletter starred in a show called Future Man. I thought it was neat.

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Quark said:

Another great episode, although I agree there wasn't enough Missy.

Because of Covid, I wonder if they're using some characters less in each episode so as not to have all of them on set at the same time.  They probably don't want any of them to be 'touchy-feely' during this time, although we did see Mary & George in bed when the professor called. 

25 minutes ago, Quark said:

I don't know the actor's name, but the guy that plays Linkletter starred in a show called Future Man.

Ed Begley Jr., and that's interesting!

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, Quark said:

I don't know the actor's name, but the guy that plays Linkletter starred in a show called Future Man. I thought it was neat.

He was also in a favourite  two parter of mine on Voyager where he played a guy stealing technology from the future.  Of course he's probably best known from St Elsewhere.  I admit it was a "hoo boy" moment for me when he first showed up on Young Sheldon.  None of us are getting any younger!

• Love 5

I'm glad they didn't sexualize Georgie in the episode, which would have likely happened on TV shows featuring teens in the 1960s to at least the 1980s.

I appreciate Jason Alexander as a comedian and actor, but I have to agree that he's not well-utilized here. 
The only chuckle I got from his bit was when he draped the sequin chaps around himself like a feather boa while saying:

• I-I made the costumes by hand.
    You think you can find sequined chaps in a mall?
    No, you cannot.
    And they give you quite the look when you ask.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

I appreciate Jason Alexander as a comedian and actor, but I have to agree that he's not well-utilized here. 

It's his attempt with the Texas accent that throws me off.  😉 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, ChitChat said:

It's his attempt with the Texas accent that throws me off.  😉 

Maybe if it was a longer show, they could have developed Mr. Lundy's backstory to be that he's really from the East Coast and that his Texas accent is fake. 
I don't notice half the accent slip-ups that most posters comment about, but even I noticed it this time. Maybe Jason Alexander is just finishing out his contract with the show and not really into it? I hope I'm wrong about that. Maybe with Covid they can't do as many takes and retakes as normal?

10 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

He doesn't seem like the kind of person who attends football games.  Probably one of the few at the school.

Even if Lundy goesn't go to Football games, he would still know most of the other teachers. The school isn't that big is it? Also, George also teaches gym as well. They would have run into each other at meetings, the faculty lounge, in the hallway, or another location. Unless the school is absolutely massive and teachers in different departments don't know each other or anything about each other, I have a hard time beleiving Lundy wouldn't know that Gerogie is related to George. 

• Love 7

Sheldon learns early in life how to annoy people to get his way.  He certainly took that lesson to heart!  At least he paid attention to his Dad's advice about following through with his commitment, unlike Georgie did with football.  I still think Georgie should've followed through and finished out the football season - it's only a couple months for cryin' out loud!  Then he could quit before the next season.  

Georgie's sass mouthing (thinking of Minnie from The Help saying to her daughter "no sass mouthing) wouldn't have sat well in my house back in the day!  

I equally loved and hated this episode.

I thought Sheldon's storyline with Dr. Linkletter was hilarious, as was the People's Court quip, however Jason Alexander needs to go. I don't think he, or his character adds anything to the show, and that overly affected Texas accent is just awful.

I feel like the workout video had great potential, but fell flat. Georgie was basically removed from his own plot 2/3 of the way through.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

Sheldon is a freshman in college, but I thought his father was a high school coach.  If so, why is he at the college?  And isn't Georgie a senior in high school?

Sheldon doesn't live on the college campus, so someone (George, Mary, Meemaw, etc.) has to drive him to campus and pick him up each day. 
(The show never seems to care about the price of gas or wear and tear on cars.)

Yes, Georgie is a senior in high school.

• Love 1

I miss Dr. Sturgis, but Dr. Linkletter has really been funny so far this season.  I would also prefer seeing more of the Reverand and his cop-wife, and less of Mr. Lundy.

Having said that, though, this is the funniest show on TV right now and I always have some good laughs each week.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, curbcrusher said:

Everytime he tries to do a Texas accent I appreciate him a hell of a lot less.

This is so true! He has moved into my top spot for unrealistic accents. Bumped Cher out of first place for her attempt at “Italian American from Brooklyn” in Moonstruck. 🌙 

• LOL 6

I found this episode fairly offensive. I don't know if it was the way Jason Alexander meant to play the character, but Mr. Lundy came across as gay, and both Meemaw and Georgie seemed to be just a few comments shy of making derogatory remarks about him and his ideas: Meemaw because that's the way she was raised, and Georgie because he's a red-blooded All-American boy.  

Also, I did not like Sheldon getting his way. Again. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I found this episode fairly offensive. I don't know if it was the way Jason Alexander meant to play the character, but Mr. Lundy came across as gay, and both Meemaw and Georgie seemed to be just a few comments shy of making derogatory remarks about him and his ideas: Meemaw because that's the way she was raised, and Georgie because he's a red-blooded All-American boy. 

I can see this now that you point it out, but I was uncomfortable with how Lundy was coming across as gay and sexually objectifying a young student.  That creeped me the hell out.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I can see this now that you point it out, but I was uncomfortable with how Lundy was coming across as gay and sexually objectifying a young student.  That creeped me the hell out.

And yet the show refrained from showing Georgie in that way. I think it was supposed to be be a commentary on the times   
––perhaps not really appropriate for this show’s audience?

• Love 1

Yes, the Mr. Lundy character IMO is a train wreck on many levels. I wouldn’t mind a cameo or chance meeting in town by the librarian though. I loved the relationship between her and Sheldon. He could ask her for any offbeat book or advice and she would usually try her best to advise and educate him in her own way. Also, the “under her breath”comments were hilarious.

• Love 14
On 3/11/2021 at 8:55 AM, aqusdealer said:

Yes, the Mr. Lundy character IMO is a train wreck on many levels. I wouldn’t mind a cameo or chance meeting in town by the librarian though. I loved the relationship between her and Sheldon. He could ask her for any offbeat book or advice and she would usually try her best to advise and educate him in her own way. Also, the “under her breath”comments were hilarious.

She was the best! Sheldon respected her and though he was hurtful with his observations about her being alone he was never intentionally cruel. Maybe they can give her a job at one of the university libraries under the guise of getting a free MLS.

• Love 6
On 3/4/2021 at 11:54 PM, chocolatine said:

In recent years she's been doing a lot of those Christmas movies - a fact I know because she starred in a really terrible one with Mario Lopez a few years ago that was filmed in my city (I had to watch it simply because I recognized literally every place in the movie, not because I had any kind of hopes for the actual storyline.)

• Love 3
17 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

In recent years she's been doing a lot of those Christmas movies - a fact I know because she starred in a really terrible one with Mario Lopez a few years ago that was filmed in my city (I had to watch it simply because I recognized literally every place in the movie, not because I had any kind of hopes for the actual storyline.)

Holiday in Handcuffs?  that was sooo bad.  

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Katy M said:

Holiday in Handcuffs?  that was sooo bad.  

No, not that one...but the title alone sounds like a spoof. 😁

Granted, I don't know much about directing, so I have no idea if MJH is considered a good one or not, how she connected with Young Sheldon, etc.

On 3/5/2021 at 10:32 AM, mammaM said:

I thought the same thing!😂 Sheldon pimping out mee maw! And I love Annie Potts, her expressions are better than anything she could have said😂😂

I love her, and her  wig! 

On 3/4/2021 at 8:53 PM, ams1001 said:

Yup, they were the Judge Judy and Byrd of that time. 😁🤣😂

• Love 1