Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Austin, We Have a Problem

• Start Topic

In part two of the trip to Austin, D'Andra and Kary finally find common ground - even if it is on the water. Tiffany bonds with Stephanie and Kameron, while Brandi finds herself walking on eggshells around Tiffany and confronts her about feeling like she can't be herself around her.

Original air date 2021.03.02

From Bravo:

In part two of the trip to Austin, D’Andra and Kary finally find common ground – even if it is on the water. Tiffany bonds with Stephanie and Kameron, while Brandi finds herself walking on eggshells around Tiffany and confronts her about feeling like she can’t be herself around her.

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree with Stephanie about Tiffany not being welcoming. She treated the women like they were school children. Going to someone's home for the first time and being presented with a bunch of ground rules is obviously unwelcoming imo, even for someone who doesn't host many parties or have guests over often. Someone posted somewhere that Tiffany may just be socially awkward, so I could understand if she truly thinks rules are a good thing if they help her out personally. 

With how she corrects others, I've noticed it but not sure if she means to be offensive. With Kameron, sometimes it's like she's playing the dumb blonde on purpose, and it's got to be hard to not bust out laughing at times. I wouldn't dream of hurting anyone's feelings for using a word incorrectly. I'd appreciate others not laughing at me for genuinely not knowing something, but I'm sorry I felt compelled to laugh too when Kameron asked what cathartic means, something about the way she asked. (I don't think it would be funny if someone who was a serious person asked in a serious way.) All the women on these shows go into the debates about what's bullying, what's not, what's joking around and what's throwing digs, what's racism vs what's xenophobic. A lot of people are particular about words being used correctly, but when that someone is an overachiever who's not shy talking about her achievements and all she has, I can totally see how it would be more off-putting than it would be coming from someone else. It does seem like Tiffany feels bad about how she's made the other women feel though. Hopefully she eases up on all the rules and corrections. 

I relate to Stephanie with not feeling like I'm the most talented, but I can hula hoop all day! lol It just takes getting used to, and having hips and a waist helps. 

Generally speaking, I think people who worry A LOT about what's considered racist and what's considered sexual harassment are probably guilty of being at least a little bigoted or creepy. HOWEVER, given how Tiffany shames the women about not respecting her culture if they decline chicken feet and crickets, perhaps Brandi has more reason to be on edge. 

Did Tiffany just pull a Charlotte York crapping her pants? lol hahaha

I don't blame Tiffany for being so excited about having an extra day off. When you're used to being super busy, getting an extra day off feels life changing. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13

If I were advising Brandi on how to interact with Tiffany...I would talk about her children since both of you have daughters.  Maybe set up a playdate with her twins and your youngest daughter.  And just ask her questions about her life....you know...show an active interest in her.

So Kary's month long b day celebration reminds me of Leeanne 's multi day wedding adventure.  2 peas in a pod.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

With how she corrects others, I've noticed it but not sure if she means to be offensive. With Kameron, sometimes it's like she's playing the dumb blonde on purpose, and it's got to be hard to not bust out laughing at times. I wouldn't dream of hurting anyone's feelings for using a word incorrectly. I'd appreciate others not laughing at me for genuinely not knowing something, but I'm sorry I felt compelled to laugh too when Kameron asked what cathartic means, something about the way she asked. (I don't think it would be funny if someone who was a serious person asked in a serious way.) All the women on these shows go into the debates about what's bullying, what's not, what's joking around and what's throwing digs, what's racism vs what's xenophobic. A lot of people are particular about words being used correctly, but when that someone is an overachiever who's not shy talking about her achievements and all she has, I can totally see how it would be more off-putting than it would be coming from someone else. It does seem like Tiffany feels bad about how she's made the other women feel though. Hopefully she eases up on all the rules and corrections. 

What Kam couldn't come right out and say is that you're supposed to titter about how cute and funny she is.  Tiffany doesn't laugh at her in the proper way 😄   I thought they were all kind of mean to Tiffany tonight, even before the end.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 21
1 hour ago, princelina said:

What Kam couldn't come right out and say is that you're supposed to titter about how cute and funny she is.  Tiffany doesn't laugh at her in the proper way 😄   I thought they were all kind of mean to Tiffany tonight, even before the end.  

LOL about Kam

I wrote a lengthy post I meant to be thoughtful about the Brandi and Tiffany stuff after I saw it, but it got removed. I didn't think I posted anything regarding future events at all. Hopefully it's okay for me to say I agree with all the posts about how poorly Brandi came off. Poor Tiffany. If you're not racist, you don't need to worry that much around minorities, sheesh. 😞

• Love 14

If Stephanie has urine coming out of her vagine, she should consult a doctor stat.

Brandi, not many appreciate your trashy sense of humour.

Tiffany is socially inept, very patronizing and her voice makes my ears bleed. But her comment about a giraffe working a hula hoop was pretty funny.  

I am really tired of D'Andra's new age shtick.

• Love 12

Kameron is insecure because she knows she is and sounds like an idiot. She always want to hone in on people’s etiquette, but can’t take someone telling her the correct words so she won’t sound foolish. I would think in all the high society gatherings, she would atleast want to seem like she has more brains than Barbie. 

• Love 21

Why is Brandi calling more attention to her racist video rant? It seemed like everyone had moved on. I don’t buy that she’s struggling with how to speak around Tiffany. She was recently making a spectacle of herself roadside with a wig on her crotch a few episodes ago.  Nobody is expecting much from her. 

• Love 22

Brandi must be on some sort of mood stabilizers, she is hardly there in most scenes.  Her not so funny attempt of being the old Brandi was not funny at all, running around with a blow up doll is just not funny.  It all seemed so forced, Brandi wasn't feeling it and it showed.

When she wanted Kary and D to make up she said it was an exercise when she was getting treatment, did she mean therapy? Why on earth would she stop going to therapy?  

Kary is annoying, I would never worry about being her friend again because she will continue to bully/nitpick D, Kary has no self awareness, D should meditate on why she wants to patch things up with Annoying Kary.

Hoola Hoop person was largely ignored, those HW's took the hoops and just did what they wanted, was it supposed to be a form of exercise because the Hoop Lady was chunky.

Kam is so stupid, her husband knows this.  I hope her kids do not look to her for help with homework.

Tiffany asking her husband about what to pack, you could see the thought bubble above his head, "I really don't give a fuck," is what I read.

I would hope that an ambulance would be allowed up that driveway leading to the house because if I were in that group I would have alcohol poisoning.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, LakeGal said:

I enjoyed Tiffany, Steph and Kam talking in the forest.  Then I realized it was nice because Kary was not there ruining it for me.  

Me too - this was a good moment about real anxiety women have in deciding how much to work in and out of the home. Felt bad for Tiffany during this episode - she’s socially awkward but doesn’t seem to have bad intentions.

• Love 24

Brandi thinks she is so funny, but I haven't ever found her funny.  It seems like she is fixated with poop and dicks.  Every season it seems, it's poop and dicks with Brandi.  Social media kicked her ass with her Asian "joke" and now she's projecting onto Tiffany about being uncomfortable around her, and can't be her authentic self which means she can't chase people around with dildo's and talk shit.  Literally.  She can go away any old time, and that would be fine by me.

The heaven's opened and D'Andra and Kary felt each other's hearts (boobs) and they made peace.  It was a very touching moment 🙂

Vocabulary is simply not Kam's strong suit.  Don't confuse her with words over one syllable and she can follow the conversation fairly well.  

After I got over the abrasiveness of Tiffany, which is her authentic self, I find her funny in a way Brandi will never be.  Brandi tries to be funny and it falls flat, Tiffany isn't trying to be funny and yet, she is.  In her own way, Tiffany is as clueless as Kam, but she is more entertaining to me.  I laughed out loud when she said she didn't know giraffe's could hula hoop, effectively calling Kam a giraffe.  It was a good zinger!

• Love 24
15 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I wrote a lengthy post I meant to be thoughtful about the Brandi and Tiffany stuff after I saw it, but it got removed. I didn't think I posted anything regarding future events at all. Hopefully it's okay for me to say I agree with all the posts about how poorly Brandi came off. Poor Tiffany. If you're not racist, you don't need to worry that much around minorities, sheesh. 😞

Yeah I'm curious about how that ends next week before I start judging everyone too harshly 😄   This week no one's looking too good there.  I liked how Tiffany had handled the initial conversation with Brandi in episode 1 - a refreshing change to see a housewife who doesn't want to carry a grudge into infinity!  But since then Brandi has gotten drunk several times, waved down cars with a hairy wig down her pants, carried on with a blow up doll and puked in Tiffany's bathroom, so I'm pretty sure she has been her "authentic self" in front of Tiffany all season!  It initially struck me as a quest for relevance - a storyline, a continuation of something she may have gotten positive feedback for at the beginning of the season?  Or on the other hand - a desire to nitpick Tiffany for the cricket pizza and saying something Brandi didn't seem to understand about her pills?  I'm curious to see how this ends - often the "scenes from next week" are misleading so I'll wait.  But it better not be another rerun with some hags from a franchise I don't even watch trying to be witty!!!

7 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

When she wanted Kary and D to make up she said it was an exercise when she was getting treatment, did she mean therapy? Why on earth would she stop going to therapy?  

She went away to some rehab center last year after the video brouhaha, so I assumed that's what she was talking about.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, princelina said:

Yeah I'm curious about how that ends next week before I start judging everyone too harshly 😄   This week no one's looking too good there.  I liked how Tiffany had handled the initial conversation with Brandi in episode 1 - a refreshing change to see a housewife who doesn't want to carry a grudge into infinity!  But since then Brandi has gotten drunk several times, waved down cars with a hairy wig down her pants, carried on with a blow up doll and puked in Tiffany's bathroom, so I'm pretty sure she has been her "authentic self" in front of Tiffany all season!  It initially struck me as a quest for relevance - a storyline, a continuation of something she may have gotten positive feedback for at the beginning of the season?  Or on the other hand - a desire to nitpick Tiffany for the cricket pizza and saying something Brandi didn't seem to understand about her pills?  I'm curious to see how this ends - often the "scenes from next week" are misleading so I'll wait.  But it better not be another rerun with some hags from a franchise I don't even watch trying to be witty!!!

She went away to some rehab center last year after the video brouhaha, so I assumed that's what she was talking about.

You don't watch NJ, Princelina?? It's so good, I highly recommend! 

I like your approach to thinking maybe the other women may surprise us next week, but I'm not very optimistic. There seems to be a lot of shying around the issue to appease Brandi, which is too much. It wasn't a "mistake", Stephanie. She made a racist video.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Legalbeagle421 said:

I’m still very shook that we just had someone pretty much openly admit their shtick and “authentic self” is racism.

It’s also disturbing that this means the others have been laughing along at that for years (I'm especially looking at you, Stephanie). What a mess. Thinking back to the last reunion where they all went around and said how racist LeeAnne is didn’t age well for these ladies, even though LeeAnne was dead wrong for her behavior, also. 

Stephanie's always been my favorite, so it would really sadden me if Brandi is really so bad. I can be cordial with a racist. I can work with a racist. I will NOT be besties with a racist. I've had a lot of conversations regarding race this last year, and I was really disappointed with some people. I'm not a PC person. I'm not a cancel culture person. But there are people who are genuinely really bigoted, and I'm not going to coddle them. 

2 hours ago, princelina said:

The kinder thing to do is be like you Princelina. I feel like trying balance being forgiving and looking for the good in others and "when someone shows you who they are, believe them" is the story of my life. I did not find the racist video remotely funny, and I'm glad Brandi realized she was wrong. I did feel bad if she was suicidal over all the backlash though. I thought she was truly remorseful, but she's behaving like that video wasn't an isolated incident. I thought she was so upset with LeeAnne over her comments last season and said she had Mexican family she loved. With Tiffany, it's like Brandi is never around minorities and doesn't want to be. I'm curious if there was some weird editing or what. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Legalbeagle421 said:

You don't watch NJ, Princelina?? It's so good, I highly recommend! 

I like your approach to thinking maybe the other women may surprise us next week, but I'm not very optimistic. There seems to be a lot of shying around the issue to appease Brandi, which is too much. It wasn't a "mistake", Stephanie. She made a racist video.

I only started watching RHs when BH started because as an avid Little House fan I wanted to see what had become of the Richards sisters 😄 Then I watched new RH shows that came after them, but I could never get into the previous ones because I felt like I had missed out on too much.

2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Stephanie's always been my favorite, so it would really sadden me if Brandi is really so bad. I can be cordial with a racist. I can work with a racist. I will NOT be besties with a racist. I've had a lot of conversations regarding race this last year, and I was really disappointed with some people. I'm not a PC person. I'm not a cancel culture person. But there are people who are genuinely really bigoted, and I'm not going to coddle them. 

The kinder thing to do is be like you Princelina. I feel like trying balance being forgiving and looking for the good in others and "when someone shows you who they are, believe them" is the story of my life. I did not find the racist video remotely funny, and I'm glad Brandi realized she was wrong. I did feel bad if she was suicidal over all the backlash though. I thought she was truly remorseful, but she's behaving like that video wasn't an isolated incident. I thought she was so upset with LeeAnne over her comments last season and said she had Mexican family she loved. With Tiffany, it's like Brandi is never around minorities and doesn't want to be. I'm curious if there was some weird editing or what. 

I guess my feelings towards Brandi are like Tiffany's seemed to be before last night's ep - I don't think she came from a mean and racist and "trying to be hurtful" place when she made that video - I see it as more "stupid and thoughtless".  And of course we can argue all day about what "racist" actually means, but to me it means negatively judging a group for superficial and inaccurate or stereotypical reasons, and I'm sticking with "stupid and thoughtless" because actually Brandi DOES have "squinty eyes" and I bet people DID say things like that to her, and they were stupid, thoughtless, and perhaps racist people who said that to her, and since she's not too bright she thought she was being funny when she passed along what she had heard (and I bet she was drunk in that video too).  That's also why I can't jump on board the "if Brandi can't be her authentic self she must be a huge racist" theme - because I think Brandi has shown us her authentic self, and it's a mom and wife who loves her family, can't quite keep up with them, and deals with it by day drinking and poop humor.  It's kind of obvious that she doesn't have Asian friends or she probably wouldn't have made that video - but as I said earlier, after her original Mea Culpa I can't see a reason for why she brought this up again.  "Gee I'm a racist who wants to make fun of Asian people all day long and I'm disappointed because I can't" doesn't fly with me - that's why I think it's more of her trying to get a "storyline" with a confrontational conversation that she thinks served her well in the past (by this I mean her first conversation with Tiffany).  To clarify:  I think she's dumb and ignorant, not racist.  That's the main reason why I'm curious about next week - it's to see how the others react.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
(edited)
13 hours ago, bosawks said:

Is Kary's birthday the new "It's 5 o'clock somewhere".

"It's Kary's birthday somewhere", it's like a weird wrinkle in the space time continuum.

And, if it’s ever not Kary’s birthday, it’s surely Stassi’s birthday.

Is there something about crabs (Cancerians) and birthdays?

Edited by MrsWitter
  • LOL 9
(edited)

Did Tiffany really cringe and say yuck when her kids showed her a cricket that was in their yard? Seemed like a strange reaction for someone who just made cricket pizza...

Maybe she prefers them on the al dente side of cooking?

I can see Brandi being ignorant, racist, or even both.

I do feel bad for Tiffany but also she needs to calm down on certain issues. Not liking or wanting to try specific dishes doesn't make someone racist. Now, if one of the ladies had said all Chinese food was gross, then that's a different story. Hell I love Chinese food but I'm in no rush to try crickets or chicken feet...on the other hand, I have eaten and enjoyed fried chicken liver and also pig's trotters, so maybe I am missing out lol

Edited by Hiyo
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
(edited)

If you are monitoring your words/actions in front of an Asian person, chances are you are monitoring racist words/actions.

Taking race out of it, if you are monitoring your words/actions in front of anyone, chances are you are holding yourself back from being a jerk.
Disclaimer: can see monitoring oneself in different scenarios, like you’re being cautious around a sociopath... but I’m just commenting on the Brandi/Tiffany situation!

ps/ maybe Brandi being uncomfortable and monitoring herself around Tiffany is just about humour? Tiffany doesn’t find Brandi funny (neither do I.... her humour too base for me), but Brandi thinks it’s about being deemed racist or about being judged negatively? I guess if someone doesn’t find you funny you might become self conscious and monitor yourself around them.

Edited by CrinkleCutCat
  • Love 4

I guess if someone doesn’t find you funny you might become self conscious and monitor yourself around them.

Which she never seemed to apply to Kam, instead she chased her around the beach with a dildo, among other attempts at humor...

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, FlyingEgret said:

Did Tiffany really cringe and say yuck when her kids showed her a cricket that was in their yard? Seemed like a strange reaction for someone who just made cricket pizza...

I thought her talking about how unsanitary the chicken was in the Chicken Poop Bingo game was odd because she eats chicken feet and shames those who do not. Does she think the chickens used for food are raised in clean, happy environs? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

These women are really coming hard for Tiffany, I feel bad for her. It's not Tiffany's fault that Brandi feels uncomfortable. They had a good conversation on the day they met, Tiffany explained why the video was wrong and they moved on. Tiffany has been pretty understanding and even again during this dinner she tells Brandi that she doesn't believe Brandi is racist. Why is it all on Tiffany? Also, why are we still talking about her 10:30 party end time. The woman is a Dr and has to get up early!

• Love 24
1 hour ago, MaggieG said:

These women are really coming hard for Tiffany, I feel bad for her. It's not Tiffany's fault that Brandi feels uncomfortable. They had a good conversation on the day they met, Tiffany explained why the video was wrong and they moved on. Tiffany has been pretty understanding and even again during this dinner she tells Brandi that she doesn't believe Brandi is racist. Why is it all on Tiffany? Also, why are we still talking about her 10:30 party end time. The woman is a Dr and has to get up early!

Agreed. Brandi's "confusion" about what kind of jokes she can make, or what things she can say without offending people or, let's be real,  pissing off the viewers, is her problem, not Tiffany's.

Brandi's (paraphrasing) "I'm hurt and afraid and confused about how to act around you, Tiffany" really set me off.  The most charitable way I can look at this was Brandi thought she was back in her counselling retreat and thought it would be appropriate to bust out her honesty-feelers in a social setting.  It wasn't. It's also a problem because Brandi's hurt feelings and confusion don't equate to Tiffany's in this regard. 

A less charitable way is Brandi's trying with a storyline, which would not surprise me. If that's her reason, it's much worse. And I suspect this is her reason.

I think we're past the point now of excusing Brandi's actions because she's too stupid to know the difference. Yes, Brandi, imitating another race is not okay. Best accept and move on, even if it does do in what you think is your very best comedy schtick. For crying out loud she just did a counselling retreat. Did it not take at all?  If you insist on doing it, understand that you are inviting consequences. If you insist on being confused about it, talk to someone else about that, not someone who has been "othered" in that way. It just adds to the othering. This really isn't hard.

• Love 15

Bah, stupid Brandi ruined this episode. 

There were some golden Kam moments too, like her very long explanation of the code words (" Girl, this is getting frightening!") for the Texas chainsaw massacre-er to know when to enter.  And then her inability to deploy said code words correctly, both in timing (the guy was half a mile away at first attempt) and once in earshot, her complicated, kinda sorta sound-like the code words, like "frightened" and maybe "girl". 

First rule of code words: They must repeated exactly. 

Second rule of code words: They must be audible

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Which she never seemed to apply to Kam, instead she chased her around the beach with a dildo, among other attempts at humor...

And I'm not even ashamed to say I loved it, because I can't stand Kam 😄 😄😄 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I felt sorry for Tiffany when the other women were ganging up on her with Brandi. I think Brandi was mad about Tiffany questioning the zofran. You can tell Tiffany wants to fit in and is trying to get along. I think Tiff may have been offended when Brandi called herself "trying to be funny and be herself" when she was outside rubbing her face on the window. Maybe it reminded Tiffany a little of when she was a child when the bad kid at school made a racist face,trying to imitate Asian eyes smh. Brandi was probably upset too that Tiffany didn't burst out laughing when she was doing it. That's good D'Andra and Kary are friends again.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, ErikaMarshSmith said:

I felt sorry for Tiffany when the other women were ganging up on her with Brandi. I think Brandi was mad about Tiffany questioning the zofran. You can tell Tiffany wants to fit in and is trying to get along. I think Tiff may have been offended when Brandi called herself "trying to be funny and be herself" when she was outside rubbing her face on the window. Maybe it reminded Tiffany a little of when she was a child when the bad kid at school made a racist face,trying to imitate Asian eyes smh. Brandi was probably upset too that Tiffany didn't burst out laughing when she was doing it. That's good D'Andra and Kary are friends again.

That's an interesting theory. Maybe Tiffany not finding Brandi's humor funny is giving Brandi the impression Tiffany's offended when she's not. Tiffany's probably sitting there simply unamused. A lot of us, even those who typically like Brandi and Stephanie, have discussed not being into potty humor. Brandi teared up when Tiffany talked about coming over here all alone and getting picked on at school. She seemed to genuinely feel bad imo, and I thought it was great they discussed the video, Brandi apologized, and they moved on. We need more of that. Maybe Brandi has no idea how bad she looks when she's singling out Tiffany for not being allowed to be herself after everything? If it were Kameron sitting there prissy, not laughing, would Brandi get all weird? IRC, Brandi has overreacted to Kameron, but I don't remember her being all "I can't be myself around you." 

• Love 11
(edited)

Were Brandi and Tiffany friends before the show? Anyone know?

ETA: Just noticed I had written "we're" instead of "were", so I fixed it. 

Edited by Jel
23 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I thought her talking about how unsanitary the chicken was in the Chicken Poop Bingo game was odd because she eats chicken feet and shames those who do not. Does she think the chickens used for food are raised in clean, happy environs? 

The chicken poop AND the raw chicken are very unsanitary ! She was right on that one ! Boiled or fried chicken feet are not the same at all

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Diane Mars said:

The chicken poop AND the raw chicken are very unsanitary ! She was right on that one ! Boiled or fried chicken feet are not the same at all

Agreed on this one. I mean, unless someone’s a vegetarian/vegan/pescatarian, all the animals we inevitably eat are in a barn or outside in somewhat dirty conditions, I’m sure. I wouldn’t want to see them in their natural habitat (because ewww) but I love me some steak/chicken/pork/etc etc lol. 

• Love 4