Type keyword(s) to search

S13: Sandhya Garg

• Start Topic

Sandhya kind of reminds me of Patricia from a recent season (can't remember which one...last?) in that once she explains her thought process behind the clothes, they are more interesting. Also, her work seems very hit-or-miss, and other designers "don't get it". I'm excited to see some new things, with color (!), and I think she will bring some interesting designs.

Her winning design looked hideous in the workroom, but once it went down the runway, I could see why it was in the top.

• Love 1

Patricia was from the Teams season, same as Amanda.  She came in second to Michelle, the "lone wolf".  I get the same Patricia vibe from Sandhya.  She's more of an artist than a designer.

Patricia was one of my favorites.  All of her custom textiles, crafted specifically for the clothing items.  Her shapes and construction weren't stellar, but she had some amazing stuff.  Plus, she was SO calm & collected. Never participated in the draaaaaama until she was unwillingly dragged into it....

If Sandhya is half as innovative, I'll be impressed.  The previews of her addressing a bullying circumstance both scares me & heartens me.  It all comes down to how the situation is handled. 

• Love 1

Sandhya is one of my favorites and I hope she goes far. Korina and Mitchell can go play in traffic, its obvious they are trying to get screen time by being Mean Girls. I love her vision and how colorful and whimsical her clothes are. And I love how she can articulate her vision. Go Sandhya!

• Love 2

I really liked Sandhya's clothes from the auditions but didn't get her first outfit at all.  I was sure she was in the bottom three. But she has a point of view and stuck with it so what do I know.  I'm very glad she's going to be on at least one more week, though, because as a person I find her very likeable and want to see more of what she does.  

• Love 3

I really like Sandhya and her design aesthetic. I understand that she is coming from a completely different culture than ours. That being said, from what we saw on PR, she was not being picked on badly. I do realize the footage we saw may not reflect the full scope of what was said to her.

I didn't care for her original or revised design. I think any team with Hernan would have been difficult to be a part of, and I look forward to seeing her future designs, without outside control/influence.

I really liked her original skirt. Had anyone been willing to work with her, maybe they wouldn't have been in the bottom. It's really kind of ugly the way everyone seems to be piling the hate on to her because they didn't "get" what she did the first challenge. 

From what I saw, Sandhya didn't have a clue what her teammates were trying to tell her. I'm not saying she should be asked to compromise her esthetic completely, but she was the one person who could not be sent home.  She agreed to work with her teammates and appeared to agree on the direction the team was taking and then decided to do everything her own way, claiming that she was ready to go home and ignoring the fact that no, she wasn't going to go home, but they were. Either she didn't understand what was going on- which seems unlikely, given how fluent she is in English- or she was fine throwing them under the bus.  I think she could have attempted to move in their direction, and once she'd agreed on the approach, she should have followed through.

That said, I didn't think they were picking on her. They were trying desperately- and rather badly- to establish communication. 

And then whining to Tim about being picked on- I think THEY have some justification for annoyance with her, but I didn't see what happened as picking on her at all.

• Love 5

From what I saw, Sandhya didn't have a clue what her teammates were trying to tell her. I'm not saying she should be asked to compromise her esthetic completely, but she was the one person who could not be sent home.  She agreed to work with her teammates and appeared to agree on the direction the team was taking and then decided to do everything her own way, claiming that she was ready to go home and ignoring the fact that no, she wasn't going to go home, but they were. Either she didn't understand what was going on- which seems unlikely, given how fluent she is in English- or she was fine throwing them under the bus.  I think she could have attempted to move in their direction, and once she'd agreed on the approach, she should have followed through.

That said, I didn't think they were picking on her. They were trying desperately- and rather badly- to establish communication. 

And then whining to Tim about being picked on- I think THEY have some justification for annoyance with her, but I didn't see what happened as picking on her at all.

Yeah, and did you notice the way Sandhya kept interrupting Carrie when she was trying to explain what the team was doing? And then Sandhya had the nerve to complain about being bullied? Girl, bye.

At least in Ep 2 she comes off as what people jokingly call a "Professional Victim" (someone who's perfected the art of making themselves out like the victim that they can pull it out of the hat in almost any situation effortlessly).

Also, I'm sorry but that "winning" outfit in Ep 1 was plug ugly IMO.  Sure it wasn't nice to hear a few of the others Mean Girling it in Talking Heads about her, but in person it seemed like they were all nice to her (at least until the Top/Bottom predictions, where she must have twigged onto what people really thought of her).  

I'm sure she's a nice person, but too sensitive for this show, too blissfully unaware of social interactions and cues in a truly competitive setting, and while parts of her aesthetic may be nice in her collection, they've been dowdy in her actual execution. 

• Love 3

Whoa, whoa, whoa.   "Professional Victim"? 

I just see a woman who's tired and wasn't prepared for Cutthroat Runway.  She won the first challenge and walked back to the other contestants and what did she get?  Some smug chick who seemed downright GLEEFUL to announce she was the only person in the room who didn't think Sandhya's dress sucked.  Nice. Thanks.

Next there's a team challenge and I'm sure the eyerolling from her teammates was obvious.  Even someone on the team a few seats over got a special TH to let us know she was glad not to be a part of THAT mess.

Talking to Tim, no one uttered the B-word.  She did say she was feeling picked on.  She also said, "I know my construction was bad" and she was wiping at tears, but the only question she asked, (twice) was "Can you give me some feedback from the last challenge?"   To me, she was experiencing a massive attack of uncertainty--which is exactly how I would have been feeling as well.

Anyway, as I said in the main thread, I think that whole Tim chat was producer generated.  They have to set the stage for Tim's anti-bully performance.  If Sandhya doesn't make it to curtain time, she has an understudy--the judges got a good start on making sure Angela's wounded enough to need a hero.  ("Oh by the way, your team might've won if not for YOU.")

• Love 7

I think she and Hernan had some real communication issues, not just culturally, but in actually understanding each other's words. I think neither really understood what the other was saying, but no one stopped to say, "Wait, slow down, I can't understand you."

• Love 2

I think she and Hernan had some real communication issues, not just culturally, but in actually understanding each other's words. I think neither really understood what the other was saying, but no one stopped to say, "Wait, slow down, I can't understand you."

Exactly.  I tend to lose objectivity when it comes to the underdogs, but I just don't see Sandhya working a hidden personal agenda.

• Love 1

Exactly.  I tend to lose objectivity when it comes to the underdogs, but I just don't see Sandhya working a hidden personal agenda.

I don't think those are the only two alternatives here (her having an agenda, or her being this poor bullied target).  There are certainly other possible scenarios. People can be drama magnets without intent.  So that's one.  People can just be plain clueless within certain kinds of social situations (particularly hyper-competitive ones, when they come from sub-cultures that totally dissuade being competitive).  So that's another. Those two are just off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are plenty more.

• Love 2

I find her super irritating, and I think her "I'm being picked on" rubbish was stupid and overblown.

However, I did appreciate that she didn't let herself get sucked into the Carrie/Hernan temper tantrums after the judging and the elimination. They were acting like bratty children, and their stupid catty comments didn't deserve a response. So I was glad to see that Sandhya didn't stoop to their level, and just stayed quiet while they (especially Carrie) made fools of themselves. 

After "Nice Day for a Rock Wedding" I said to the friends who were watching with me that Sandhya was doomed the moment Zac said her yellow dress made him question everything about her as a designer. And that, to me, means that there's a little cloud over her head and no matter what she turns out now - even if she makes the final - she has no chance of winning. And while I'm not eager to defend the dress itself, I love that Sandhya in general loves color and print and comes at things with a different aesthetic than we usually see.

In short, I really wish Zac hadn't said that, and I hope I'm wrong about what it means.

And that, to me, means that there's a little cloud over her head and no matter what she turns out now - even if she makes the final - she has no chance of winning.

I had the same reaction.  I also like her and think she's more interesting than some of the others (<cough>, Samantha, Korina, Char <cough>).  I also wish she'd made her dress this episode floor length, because I think she would have been in the top if that dress had had a big dramatic skirt.

Sandhya reminds me of a more petulant Patricia Michaels. And the judges’ praise of her is equally reminiscent of it. On the one hand, I appreciate that Heidi seems to want PR to help give voice to non-Western/Eurocentric aesthetics with Sandhya’s Indian and Patricia’s Taos Pueblo backgrounds influencing their designs. 

BUT, especially in the case of Sandhya, OF COURSE you can be “different” when the judges aren’t really holding you accountable for form and function. For all the talk about Sandhya having “new ideas” and a signature look, I just think, well yeah… because the judges don’t make her adhere to the construction rules that everyone else does. Pull away all the wickety whack on her garments, and the basic construction falls way, way short. [snip] Sandhya might have atypical ideas, but to me it’s ridiculous that she isn’t being taken to task for the lack of design underneath all the props.

I think Patricia is a good analogy - she had the same blank affect when she was faced with unhappy teammates - although if you look at the cool windowpane dress Patricia won the first runway with, she does know construction, and I'm not convinced Sandhya does. Patricia, I have to say to her credit, was equally straightfaced when she was being meangirled on a level Sandhya never approached. Not so much with the whining.

I do question whether Sandhya's sensibilities are cultural or Sandhya-specific. I've lived in a predominantly south asian neighborhood for twenty years and while I see a lot of colors, I wouldn't describe any of them as cheap or flashy, and certainly the traditional clothes manage to be graceful without being body conscious. I don't see her work as whimsical. I think she just has really juvenile taste without the skills to back it up.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 5

OMG. How did I miss that Sandhya is only 28 years old. Eeeey! Wow.

I was inspired to check her bio after musing on how great it will be for her that - soon - she'll have grandkids to do crafts with.  

So much frump for such a kid. 

Edited by Gumby
Pull away all the wickety whack on her garments, and the basic construction falls way, way short.

The look she made for the challenge where they had to make their garments out of used suits was well made even though the look was a bit juniors. The dress she made for the chopard jewelry challenge was also very well made just too casual at the length she made. The yellow gown she attempted with Char was the only dress where construction was a failure.

The yellow gown she attempted with Char was the only dress where construction was a failure.

Really? I'm a little, maybe, startled to hear that. I realize Sandhya is a popular underdog (certainly the editors have put a great deal of time into making her one), but I thought based on what the judges have had to say despite an obvious determination to promote Sandhya that it was more or less accepted that her construction is amateurish and they're rewarding her for her "ideas."

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

*Pull away all the wickety whack on her garments, and the basic construction falls way, way short

.Really? I'm a little, maybe, startled to hear that.

I'm confused. Is the complaint about the whickety wack or the basic construction? My comment was the basic construction with the exception of the yellow gown is pretty solid. The "wickety whack" is a matter of taste. It has nothing to do with any underdog status. especially since at this point PR is all about the narrative they impose on each designer. I have had no problem with Sandhya's design as they address the parameters of the challenge they have been made for. 

*bolding added by me

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 1

I personally find Sandhya's "designs" heinous and so amateurish and am shocked she's still on this show. I don't know what she showed to get into PR this season, but so far all I've seen is a lot of crazy ass whack-a-doodle-doo crap that's at best the level of a middle school kid in their local 4H sewing club. But PR? Sorry. And for the judges last night to say that was the best lot of runway in the history of PR (that's what they said, yes?)? That is a lot of bullshit. I present Chris and Christian's avant garde challenge dress. That? Was PR worthy. This shite that Sandhya's churning out week after week is insulting to my eyes. I can only imagine how annoying it must be for the rest of the contestants to see this schlock going down the runway each week, with the judges cooing over it.

As for ethnic diversity, they've had it before, with the woman from West Africa, who was an amazingly talented designer, and from Patricia with her fabulous Native American aesthetic. But Sandhya?  Just, no. Just because someone is from India or any other country that might appear exotic to the PR producers, doesn't mean they have talent or taste.

• Love 4

I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the construction on those dresses, although it is hard to tell from photos. But I didn't see any obvious crooked hems or seams or puckering. They looked pretty well put together to me. Ugly and not something I'd want -- not even the ready-to-wear version (in fact, I'm having problems imagining a ready-to-wear version of all  of them) -- but pretty well put together.

But I like Sandhya, not because she's meant to be an underdog, though. I don't know exactly why I like her, but I do -- at least as much as I like anyone else on this show.

• Love 1

I personally find Sandhya's "designs" heinous and so amateurish and am shocked she's still on this show. I don't know what she showed to get into PR this season, but so far all I've seen is a lot of crazy ass whack-a-doodle-doo crap that's at best the level of a middle school kid in their local 4H sewing club. But PR? Sorry. And for the judges last night to say that was the best lot of runway in the history of PR (that's what they said, yes?)? That is a lot of bullshit. I present Chris and Christian's avant garde challenge dress. That? Was PR worthy. This shite that Sandhya's churning out week after week is insulting to my eyes. I can only imagine how annoying it must be for the rest of the contestants to see this schlock going down the runway each week, with the judges cooing over it.

As for ethnic diversity, they've had it before, with the woman from West Africa, who was an amazingly talented designer, and from Patricia with her fabulous Native American aesthetic. But Sandhya?  Just, no. Just because someone is from India or any other country that might appear exotic to the PR producers, doesn't mean they have talent or taste.

You feel strongly, don't you.

Looks like we're once more headed to Poor Me/Everybody is Picking On Me-land with Sandhya next episode.

I'm sure the episode will be subtly edited to imply that "everybody else just doesn't get her" and that the Talking Heads will be CherryPicked to only contain people criticizing HER looks (even though the truth of it is that they're sat down after each day of filming and asked about EVERYBODY'S looks, and then the editors only show us the reactions that suit where they want to point us).

Sandhya version of Indian fashion is "everything is bright yellow and other clashing colors". If you look at a lot of actual Indian fashion though you notice a lot of strong blues, greens and maroons.

She's not the definition of Indian fashion, I think. She's a parody of it.

• Love 3

So, is it me? or do the judges usually wait until the last third of the season before pulling out the "a matter of taste" observations? 

Since they limit the challenges to a day, the first 2/3 of the season can consist of "unfinished hem, construction issue" observations, unless you get someone with some big, big potential taste issue (like the Mitchell Perry, episode 1)

Looks like we're once more headed to Poor Me/Everybody is Picking On Me-land with Sandhya next episode.

I'm sure the episode will be subtly edited to imply that "everybody else just doesn't get her" and that the Talking Heads will be CherryPicked to only contain people criticizing HER looks (even though the truth of it is that they're sat down after each day of filming and asked about EVERYBODY'S looks, and then the editors only show us the reactions that suit where they want to point us).

Sandhya version of Indian fashion is "everything is bright yellow and other clashing colors". If you look at a lot of actual Indian fashion though you notice a lot of strong blues, greens and maroons.

She's not the definition of Indian fashion, I think. She's a parody of it.

Well what looks interesting is that I don't think she will be able to go to Tim, since he seems flummoxed by her look.

And while the comparisons of her to Patricia are somewhat understandable, I think highly of Patricia for never having an unkind word.  I don't think even in her TH was she ever mean.  She was almost always spacey, and often dealt with a bad TG critique by simply making her face a blank canvas and just doing whatever she wanted.  Most of the time I thought whatever she did was ugly, but she always, IMO handled herself with class and dignity even if the face of people being downright dismissive of her.  I don't think Patricia would have thrown the sort of shade Shandaya did when she mentioned that she doesn't copy anyone.  I think this may make her different from Patricia just in terms of personality.  

However, it could all just be editing.

I really wanted to like Sandhya and I honestly do appreciate that she's trying to do something heretofore unseen and somewhat original.

I liked her idea of the striping mimicking the test pattern colour bars, but I thought the jumpsuit was either poorly made or maybe it was just hard to work with the fabric she made sewing the strips. As I said in the episode thread, there was something about the front of the overlay that I liked until you got to the larger pinwheels and the dangly bits. Actually, I didn't mind the pinwheels so much, but I really disliked the crap hanging off the bottom.

As far as her dismissal of Tim, that doesn't bother me as much as it would have in seasons 1 through 11. I guess she could at least pretend to listen and be attentive and then if she wants to discard his input completely, so be it.

• Love 1

Gingerella- I am right there with you. I haven't seen a damn thing from her that didn't look like 7th grade Home Ec.

I can't decide if she or the judges are color blind, the color choices are hideous!

And, yes, Professional Victim describes her perfectly. I hope the previews weren't teasing and she has a full blown meltdown next week. She sends my BS meters off the dial.

• Love 2

If someone asks your opinion about something they are wearing or how they decorated their house, an you don't like the way it looks, but you don't want to hurt their feelings, you may something like "well, that is, um, interesting" or "my, that is, uh, unusual."  I think Sandhya has heard so many people comment that her designs are "like nothing I have ever seen before" that she thinks it is a compliment.  There is never-been-seen good and never-been-seen bad. Maybeit has never been seen before because 99.9% of the population would realize that it would  look like crap before they every started putting it together.

Bizarrely enough, Sandhya seems to have gotten quite a bit of positive feedback for her academic work in London, and for a single collection which she described as opposing "child marriage, female infanticide, sati (widow burns alive in her husband’s funeral pyre), “ghoonghat”, veil to cover face and many more evils". 

IOW, although the work she spends time on is less budge than the stuff she knocks out here, Sandhya has gotten a great deal of praise based on her intellectual approach to design and hasn't when she's been judged on wearability basically ever. Although, again, there isn't anything as ugly and graceless in her past work as the stuff she does here, and her current collection is a set of reasonably inoffensive rompers and sundresses, so she's not stupid enough to think that the stuff she's doing here is functional fashion when there are actual consequences for her.

Particularly since, as it turns out, she interned with the infinitely wearable Alice Temperley and, what are the odds, Alexander McQueen. Which, I think, shines a bit more personal a light on her comments. Hell, she's never been told she's derivative, and she actually worked for the man. Which was self-aggrandizing and rude.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Bizarrely enough, Sandhya seems to have gotten quite a bit of positive feedback for her academic work in London, and for a single collection which she described as opposing "child marriage, female infanticide, sati (widow burns alive in her husband’s funeral pyre), “ghoonghat”, veil to cover face and many more evils". 

Thanks for that link...I'm sorry, but I just don't get those clothes at all. As much as I would respect what she claims to be the inspiration behind her collection, I see absolutely nothing that would back it up unless it's a protest march at Gymboree at a Mommy & Me class. This is problem--she says one thing and her clothes say another yet for some reason it's considered what, controversial? Edgy?

I'm baffled.

• Love 1

I get nothing of that unless she means it literally because that is what is being stated in the script on the fabric itself.  Otherwise it's just a bunch of artsy craftsy designs inspired by run of the mill eastern Asian ethnic clothing.

• Love 1

I think we've also been assuming she (because she's implied it) has felt stifled by a traditional background, and yet she models her OWN clothing, including a very midriff baring outfit.  With a huge phallic symbol strapped in a strategic place.

SandhyaGarg4-658x1024.jpg 

I think we've also been assuming she (because she's implied it) has felt stifled by a traditional background, and yet she models her OWN clothing, including a very midriff baring outfit.  With a huge phallic symbol strapped in a strategic place.

I can't believe thats her, she looks so different!

I can't believe thats her, she looks so different!

There's a missing mole on her cheek, but that could be covered with makeup.  And she's clearly several years younger (those shots are from 2010-2011).  But the face is the same, albeit covered in a lot more makeup and slightly thinner. And models aren't that short, even Indian ones.

There's a missing mole on her cheek, but that could be covered with makeup.  And she's clearly several years younger (those shots are from 2010-2011).  But the face is the same, albeit covered in a lot more makeup and slightly thinner. And models aren't that short, even Indian ones.

To me, on the show she looks much darker than this model, but you are right, generally models aren't short, and I suppose the lighting could make her appear lighter than she does on the show.  To me the face looks a little different, but with contouring and makeup it could be.....I mean, I watch RuPaul's Drag Race, so I know that makeup can do amazing things.  

I don't think that's Sandhya.  Even younger, with longer hair, she didn't look like that.  Makeup can do a lot (I'm a makeup artist - I know) but her entire body is several shades lighter and her face shape isn't even similar.  Also, as has been noted, there's a missing mole.

• Love 3

Bye, Sandhya. I will never be one of the 'popular' girls, but I did and do like you. I loved your whimsy, your passion for gender politics, your willingness to not only think out of the box but sometimes break it open, and especially the way you represented a clearly articulated point of view this show does not always admit into the list of contenders.

You had some issues - you could not read social cues to save your life, you didn't always listen to advice that might have helped you, you went a little too far with the color schemes sometimes, and your last outfit did not, in my opinion, represent the best of your aesthetic - but I remain interested in your progress and a fan of what you bring to the table.

• Love 8

Bye, Sandhya. I will never be one of the 'popular' girls, but I did and do like you. I loved your whimsy, your passion for gender politics, your willingness to not only think out of the box but sometimes break it open, and especially the way you represented a clearly articulated point of view this show does not always admit into the list of contenders.

You had some issues - you could not read social cues to save your life, you didn't always listen to advice that might have helped you, you went a little too far with the color schemes sometimes, and your last outfit did not, in my opinion, represent the best of your aesthetic - but I remain interested in your progress and a fan of what you bring to the table.

I came here to write exactly this but you said it so much better than I could have. The only thing I would add is that I'm sure she'll be back for All-Stars and she could have a shot at the prize. I'm sad that we won't be seeing a collection from her. I think the reason the judges liked her so much was because she brought a new aesthetic to the table and was fearless in her approach. The downside was that she had a lot of editing and design issues. They could only overlook so much.

• Love 1

That's not Sandhya.  Sandhya looks nothing like this model; not the body, the nose, the eyes, the eyebrows, the mouth, the skin color, nor the body shape.  Also, most of the top Indian movie actresses are at least 5'8". So are the models.

Edited by HZAnita
  • Love 3

. I'm sad that we won't be seeing a collection from her

Tom and Lorenzo have her decoy collection up:

http://tomandlorenzo.com/2014/09/project-runway-season-13-finale-collections-korina-sandhya-sean/

ETA: there are a couple of other collections included with Sandhya's. No indication if they are decoys or finalists but use caution when viewing if you are only looking for Sandhya's collection.

Edited by yeswedo
added spoiler warning

It isn't until you get to this one that you see any real connection to the type of stuff she did on the show.

Project-Runway-Season-13-Finale-Collecti

The rest isn't nearly as bad--at least if you don't mind text used as a graphic element a half dozen times.