Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: Isaac's Story LIVE CHAT

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, MsVixen said:

Just curious.  A friend who had bariatric surgery started out at 480 and only had to lost 10 % of his weight to get the surgery.  Why does Isaac have to lose 100+ pounds?

It’s more that with pizza nights and Sunday pancake extravaganzas, he’s not adopting the diet he needs to. He hasn’t gotten it.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, poeticlicensed said:

Mom is the worst. She will hang on to him. If she gave a shit, there wouldn't be any snacks to reach for. She's like the abusive husband who wants to keep his wife fat so she won't leave him .

Excellent observation.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

My city's experimenting with lots of alternatives for residents. We just got a thing called "Salem Skipper" which will take people around town for $2 a ride. I haven't tried it yet but it looks awesome. 

I have the flyer on my fridge, @Pepper Mostly!  I got a kick out of the Mayor using it a few times and tweeting about it.  

• Love 2
Just now, aliya said:

I knew someone who played in Michigan's band (Go Blue!). He said it was common for kids to throw up during practices. It's not for the physically weak. Maybe he can play in a regular band; many schools have several different types of musical groups.

My daughter was just accepted to UM engineering....Have you paid attention to nonresident tuition?!?!  YIKES!

Ummm...Go Blue! has now turned into GO GREEN!! 🤑🤑

• Love 8
1 minute ago, aliya said:

I knew someone who played in Michigan's band (Go Blue!). He said it was common for kids to throw up during practices. It's not for the physically weak. Maybe he can play in a regular band; many schools have several different types of musical groups.

During football season she would have to carbo load just to keep her weight at 100. She's in her 30s now and runs half marathons. She's a glutton for punishment. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

Mom is the worst. She will hang on to him. If she gave a shit, there wouldn't be any snacks to reach for. She's like the abusive husband who wants to keep his wife fat so she won't leave him .

She doesn’t want to die alone

1 minute ago, MsVixen said:

Just curious.  A friend who had bariatric surgery started out at 480 and only had to lost 10 % of his weight to get the surgery.  Why does Isaac have to lose 100+ pounds?

Maybe it depends on distribution? Isaac has a lot of abdomen to work thru. Some folks carry their fat differently, so they may not need to lose as much weight.

I recently watched some old seasons on Hulu and he used to ask for smaller amounts back then. I realize he is one of the few bariatric surgeons who works on people this size, but even he doesn't want patients to have problems on the table or in recovery. Just because he sees you at 600 lbs, doesn't mean he wants you to be 600 lbs when you get the operation.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, aliya said:

I've played trumpet since I was 9. Did the marching band thing in high school, but stopped after that. Really only because my small school did not have one. I missed it a ton and still do to this day. Marching band is most definitely an intense sport. At band camp, yes it's a thing, I would be so in shape from running and pushups. We marched in a Disney parade down Main Street and won a National Championship. Still sticks in my head even 20 years later.  

• Love 8
Just now, umgoblue said:

My daughter was just accepted to UM engineering....Have you paid attention to nonresident tuition?!?!  YIKES!

My daughter is a nuclear engineer. Its so worth it, your daughter can make good $$$

• Love 3
1 minute ago, katy said:

I think Dr. Now understands the family dynamics and is giving some positivity to Isaac instead of getting annoyed.

Well, if Isaac can come up with things to do that interest him other than eating, it might motivate him more.  I guess it is hard for people that size to realize how much they can lose on a 1300 calorie diet and that Dr Now isn't expecting nearly that much most of the time.

I hope he can start music lessons again or something.  I keep thinking once they lose 90 pounds or more that they will feel so much better and become more and more motivated.  Sadly, it doesn't seem that happens much.

I hope if he does well there will be a followup were he gets WLS and also skin surgery in Dr Now's chop shop.

I think I am done with this episode.

Farewell until next time, if there is a next time.    And I keep hoping that there will be a next time with a success story.  

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, aliya said:

Yep, my best friend and roommate was in the Michigan band.  They had to be able to lift up one leg and hold it, bent at the knee, with the thigh parallel to the ground, while playing an instrument/twirling a flag, for several minutes at a time.  We used to practice it, for "fun" (I guess we were bored).

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Concerned said:

Can’t believe Tracy Morgan is shilling or Rocket mortgage. What happened to the $70 million he got from Walmart after being injured by their truck.

Fun Fact: That happened not far from where I work.

Okay, well not fun, I guess, but still, fact.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

OMG There is literally no action in this episode other than eating, staring, sitting, and meandering down the hallway of Dr Now's office. I'm not even get my obligatory "Walk in the Park" scene. 

Bunch of bullshit this show is.

1 minute ago, mk828 said:

I've played trumpet since I was 9. Did the marching band thing in high school, but stopped after that. Really only because my small school did not have one. I missed it a ton and still do to this day. Marching band is most definitely an intense sport. At band camp, yes it's a thing, I would be so in shape from running and pushups. We marched in a Disney parade down Main Street and won a National Championship. Still sticks in my head even 20 years later.  

I did marching band too. Clarinet and for a short time the tri-toms.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Giant Misfit said:

OMG There is literally no action in this episode other than eating, staring, sitting, and meandering down the hallway of Dr Now's office. I'm not even get my obligatory "Walk in the Park" scene. 

Bunch of bullshit this show is.

Don't forget a lot of driving and passengering.

• LOL 2
1 minute ago, umgoblue said:

I don't know if the statistic is still true, but when I went there, as well as my son years later, the out-of-state tuition was the highest in the country. When I went, my tuition was as high as friends who went to Brown and other fancy east coast schools. If it's not the highest now, it's right up there. My son got almost a full ride - they can't give one to nonresidents, so it wasn't awful, but it was bad enough. 

Oh no - is your daughter going to go to State?  Think twice. Think twice. 😄

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, umgoblue said:

Ok, yes, but CONGRATULATIONS to her!  That's a great achievement!

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, nokat said:

I can see by the level of other chat that Isaac isn't exciting. 

But we have had several interesting side conversations! 

Just now, Suzywriter said:

Me too. I put off my homework to watch...now I'm going to be up until midnight. 

But you mostly wanted to hang with your people! Isn't that worth it??

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, aliya said:

Maybe it depends on distribution? Isaac has a lot of abdomen to work thru. Some folks carry their fat differently, so they may not need to lose as much weight.

I recently watched some old seasons on Hulu and he used to ask for smaller amounts back then. I realize he is one of the few bariatric surgeons who works on people this size, but even he doesn't want patients to have problems on the table or in recovery. Just because he sees you at 600 lbs, doesn't mean he wants you to be 600 lbs when you get the operation.

I think he's probably learned from past failures that people have to learn to follow the diet for them to be successful post-surgery.  

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, aliya said:

I don't know if the statistic is still true, but when I went there, as well as my son years later, the out-of-state tuition was the highest in the country. When I went, my tuition was as high as friends who went to Brown and other fancy east coast schools. If it's not the highest now, it's right up there. My son got almost a full ride - they can't give one to nonresidents, so it wasn't awful, but it was bad enough. 

Oh no - is your daughter going to go to State?  Think twice. Think twice. 😄

Oh hellz naw she is not going to State...blasphemy!  My green money will go to UM...(if she decides to attend there).

Edited by umgoblue
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1