Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Is that Ryan Gosling?  He chose to do this movie of his own free will?  

Just googled the movie and they have a well known director and a pretty good cast, so what do I know.

• LOL 7
5 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

Just googled the movie and they have a well known director and a pretty good cast, so what do I know.

I believe it was Michael Caine who, when asked why he would do a movie like Jaws: The Revenge, said that  the mortgage and other bills still need to be paid, the kids need things, as well as birthday/Christmas gifts, etc, so sometimes you need to take what you can get......[paraphrased].  But, like you said it's a good cast with a with a well known director, so maybe they liked the script well enough to have a little fun and do something different.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I believe it was Michael Caine who, when asked why he would do a movie like Jaws: The Revenge, said that  the mortgage and other bills still need to be paid, the kids need things, as well as birthday/Christmas gifts, etc, so sometimes you need to take what you can get......[paraphrased]. 

He did it to be able to buy his mom a house.  The "for my mom" part gets left off the "I've never seen it, but I've seen the house it bought and it's fabulous" quote all the time.  I can't find video of the interview where he first said it, but here he is telling the story again; I just love the honesty:

• Useful 2
  • Love 15
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

He did it to be able to buy his mom a house.  The "for my mom" part gets left off the "I've never seen it, but I've seen the house it bought and it's fabulous" quote all the time.  I can't find video of the interview where he first said it, but here he is telling the story again; I just love the honesty:

Thank you so much for this.  I made sure to paraphrase because 1. I didn't see the interview, I just heard about it (a long time ago), and 2. I knew it had to do with being able to afford something, but I couldn't remember what.  

• Love 2
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I just love the honesty:

I would rather an actor say yep I took that role because they offered me a boatload of money than hear the bullshit about how they wanted to try something different or they admire the director and when the bad reviews come in they never mention that role again. 

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 4
  • LOL 7
  • Love 8
(edited)
3 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

I think they must all be doing this for the bucks, this looks & sounds horrible to me. Remember, Amy Schumer was originally supposed to play Barbie, but left the film because of the script. If Amy Schumer thinks the script is bad, they must be paying some serious money to get the cast that they have.

Also, Ken has blond hair. The same as Barbie. Is there any diversity in this movie?

Edited by GaT
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, GaT said:

I think they must all be doing this for the bucks, this looks & sounds horrible to me. Remember,, Amy Schumer was originally supposed to play Barbie, but left the film because of the script. If Amy Schumer thinks the script is bad, they must be paying some serious money to get the cast that they have.

Also, Ken has blond hair. The same as Barbie. Is there any diversity in this movie?

The rest of the cast is diverse and supposedly Issa Rae and Simu Liu are playing another set of Barbie and Ken.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

Written and directed by Greta Gerwig, I'm hoping it's a biting satire of Barbie, but I have no idea.  America Ferrera, Issa Rae, Alexandra Shipp, Ncuti Gatwa, and Simu Liu are in the cast, so, yes, there's diversity.

• Useful 5
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, DkNNy79 said:

Actors sometimes take roles based on other things than pure quality. Money, to work with a specific person, sometimes they just want to do something fun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

I would rather an actor say yep I took that role because they offered me a boatload of money than hear the bullshit about how they wanted to try something different or they admire the director and when the bad reviews come in they never mention that role again. 

When asked why he made the movie Inchon, Laurence Olivier said "Money, dear boy".

A lot of actors realize that if they take the occasional crap movie or tv commercial, it can allow them to do other things which don't pay nearly as well but are more artistically satisfying.  Or will allow them to buy a house for their mother.

• Like 1
  • Love 17
6 hours ago, GaT said:

Remember, Amy Schumer was originally supposed to play Barbie, but left the film because of the script. If Amy Schumer thinks the script is bad, they must be paying some serious money to get the cast that they have.

She didn’t say it was bad. She said they were going in a different direction than she wanted. Given her normal direction that’s doesn’t seem like a strike against the movie. That version was also a Sony project with a different writer that they passed on. WB got the rights and brought in new writers. 

6 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The rest of the cast is diverse and supposedly Issa Rae and Simu Liu are playing another set of Barbie and Ken.  

Ncuti Gatwa (the next Doctor Who) is also playing a version of Ken. According to the Wikipedia page for the movie Hari Nef is playing a version of Barbie. Hari is transgender which has me hopeful this will be the kind of satire that is necessary to make live action Barbie movie work. 

Barbie also had a little sister named Skipper, and when you twisted Skipper's arm a certain way, she grew breasts. (If you twisted her arm the opposite way, the breasts went away.)

• Mind Blown 6
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
Just now, Browncoat said:

Barbie also had a little sister named Skipper, and when you twisted Skipper's arm a certain way, she grew breasts. (If you twisted her arm the opposite way, the breasts went away.)

OMG! I had a Skipper doll, but I do not remember that at all!

• Like 1
  • Love 9
Just now, SoMuchTV said:

To be fair, I think it was a certain subset of Skipper dolls -- not all of them did that, but mine did.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

Back in the day, many Christians were fond of the acronym "WWJD?", for "What Would Jesus Do?", when faced with making a tough decision

Since my family has never been religious, we would always ask  each other "WWDD?" as in "What would Dolly Do"?, as we all LOVED and respected Dolly for being the kind of person everybody should aspire to be. 

I still ask myself frequently "WWDD?" 

And I think the world would be a better placed if more people asked "WWDD?" 

I’m not religious either, and that is a wonderful motto! There is a What Would Dolly Do? book. I’ve been meaning to read it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, LexieLily said:

She's only been out of the conservatorship and 'free' for eight months which in the grand scheme of things is not that long, compared to the thirteen years she was controlled. Think about it. She's barely 40 now, but the last time she was able to make any sort of choice for herself was when she was 27, going through a very public divorce and custody battle with paparazzi chasing her everywhere she went. I'm assuming she doesn't have any sort of 'real' relationship with her children, given how young they were when this started and how Jamie Spears weaponized them against Britney to keep her in line.

I think Britney's family including Kevin Federline deserves more scrutiny than her. They continued to take more money from her even after she had a breakdown. If she were poor her conservator would have to spend her money wisely.

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
  • Love 16
7 hours ago, GaT said:

Well, yeah. People gain maturity as they live their life & get experience making intelligent decisions. Britney's conservatorship started when she was 27 & went until she was 40. She lost her entire 30s which is a time when people really "grow up". She lacks maturity because she wasn't allowed to gain any.

I imagine a lot of that is due to education too. Wikipedia tells me that Britney got Mickey Mouse Club when she was around 11. So from that point on her schooling was at best backstage Disney tutor school.  Which is probably not the best situation for actual learning. Especially if you are someone whose only goal is to be a star and might not even care about the schooling you are forced to do. I have an 11 year old, and if her schooling stopped this year, yikes!

• Like 4
  • Love 15
5 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I imagine a lot of that is due to education too. Wikipedia tells me that Britney got Mickey Mouse Club when she was around 11. So from that point on her schooling was at best backstage Disney tutor school.  Which is probably not the best situation for actual learning. Especially if you are someone whose only goal is to be a star and might not even care about the schooling you are forced to do. I have an 11 year old, and if her schooling stopped this year, yikes!

I also think that early stardom is detrimental to maturity. I think it was Richard Burton that said you're usually as mature as you were when you became famous, and I've seen quite a lot of other famous people comment along the same line. Obviously there are some child stars that break that stereotype, but I think in Britney's case, becoming famous so young compounded whatever maturity issues come with the conservatorship and not being allowed to make her own decisions for over 10 years. 

• Like 2
  • Love 16

And Barbie had a black friend named Christie back in the late 60's.  I think she was one of the first non-white fashion dolls.  

The non-white Barbie I remember was Teresa. According to a quick google, she was introduced in 1988. I know they had a lot of specialty dolls with greater diversity than Barbie and her family and "friends" but they were more expensive with fancier outfits and it didn't seem like you were meant to actually play with them.

To circle back to celebrities, I know Tyra and ANTM are all kinds of problematic but I do think a part of me is still forgiving because of my fond memories of Life-Size. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I agree Britney gets blamed for a lot of drama that is not her fault.  Her ex (barely) husband showing up and acting like a fool is not her fault.  I still think someone paid him to do that.

I was surprised to hear what chargers were brought against him.  Yeah, trespassing is bad but it sounded like a bit of overkill--until I also heard that he had trespassed on her property multiple times and even violated an order of protection against another woman earlier this year.  I don't think anyone paid him. I just think he's a stalker.

6 hours ago, GaT said:

I think they must all be doing this for the bucks, this looks & sounds horrible to me. Remember, Amy Schumer was originally supposed to play Barbie, but left the film because of the script. If Amy Schumer thinks the script is bad, they must be paying some serious money to get the cast that they have.

That was years ago.  A different movie. Different writer. Different director and a different studio.  The current writers (Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach) have four Best Screenplay Oscar nominations between them and 1 Best Director nomination. Greta's directing. The concept sounds silly. I don't know if it'll be a good movie.  But I do think it's being written by smart, intentional artists who absolutely do not need to be doing this movie. Greta especially.  Both of the movies she has previously directed did very well at the box office.

It's hard to believe how different her career would have been had CBS picked up the original version of How I Met Your Father.

1 hour ago, kathyk24 said:

I think Britney's family including Kevin Federline deserves more scrutiny than her. They continued to take more money from her even after she had a breakdown. If she were poor her conservator would have to spend her money wisely.

I don't know enough about Federline to know what kind of person he is but he is the father of Britney's children.  He receives court ordered support payments.  Court ordered support is meant for the children and the other parent can't just say "I won't take it." Having a breakdown doesn't change that she needs to pay it if she has it. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3

Also, given this latest example of Dolly Parton's habit of giving $1 million donations to Vanderbilt, I thought there better be a wing dedicated to her.  Looking into it, in typical Dolly fashion, while there is such an honor, dating back to 2018, it's in her niece's name, not hers:

Legendary country music singer-songwriter Dolly Parton and her niece, Hannah Dennison, were honored May 17 at the dedication of the newly named Hannah Dennison Butterfly Garden at Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt.

The dedication came after Parton announced a $1 million gift to Children’s Hospital’s Pediatric Cancer Program last October while visiting patients with her niece, Dennison, who was treated for leukemia as a child at Children’s Hospital for four years, beginning in 1993.

Parton said the gift was made “in honor of my niece Hannah, my sister Rachel, Hannah’s dad, Richard, and Dr. Naji Abumrad.”

“It was important to me to make a donation to the Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt because of Hannah’s care and just how well they do for everyone,” Parton said. “It’s been a good hospital for us. This is just a great group of doctors and nurses that provide the best of care, and it was the least I could do.”

• Love 12
37 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I was surprised to hear what chargers were brought against him.  Yeah, trespassing is bad but it sounded like a bit of overkill--until I also heard that he had trespassed on her property multiple times and even violated an order of protection against another woman earlier this year.  I don't think anyone paid him. I just think he's a stalker.

That was years ago.  A different movie. Different writer. Different director and a different studio.  The current writers (Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach) have four Best Screenplay Oscar nominations between them and 1 Best Director nomination. Greta's directing. The concept sounds silly. I don't know if it'll be a good movie.  But I do think it's being written by smart, intentional artists who absolutely do not need to be doing this movie. Greta especially.  Both of the movies she has previously directed did very well at the box office.

It's hard to believe how different her career would have been had CBS picked up the original version of How I Met Your Father.

I don't know enough about Federline to know what kind of person he is but he is the father of Britney's children.  He receives court ordered support payments.  Court ordered support is meant for the children and the other parent can't just say "I won't take it." Having a breakdown doesn't change that she needs to pay it if she has it. 

Kevin Federline had two children after his divorce. He took Britney to court saying he needed a larger home. IMO he took advantage of her she's responsible for supporting her sons not his whole family.

• Like 2
  • Love 8
47 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

He also had a knife on him, so it was a lot more than trespassing.

• Mind Blown 3
  • Love 7

BTS Not Really Going On Hiatus, Confusion with Translation, Says Management

BTS caused an uproar Tuesday when band members put out a video in Korean talking about the group's future, with the English subtitle translation stating they were taking a "hiatus."

HYBE, the music company that reps BTS, reportedly lost $1.7 BILLION in market value during stock trading early Wednesday morning ... and now they are in a full-on backpedal over the "hiatus" comment.

When they formed HYBE, all the members of BTS were given stock that made them all millionaires.  I guess when everyone saw their money going away, they had a big rethink.

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Yeah, no.  lol

Edit - Oh dear God, that is horrifying.  I must have psychologically blocked that memory.  Mea culpa

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Now and then I'll read about how someone loves Dolly Parton but wishes she were more outspoken/political. I applaud those who aren't scared of backlash and losing fans. BUT, as much as I don't like it, Dolly is not wrong that she could lose a lot of fans if she were "vote for this person" or made it clear she's on a side. (Sadly, I remember some not so nice feedback she got for simply saying of course black lives matter.) Making a point to be extremely kind but not political is part of why she's very universally loved, which has resulted in a ton of $$$, which means she has more to be generous with and make a difference. She's made a ton of impact in this world, and as you said, she always stands up for equality and all things good, without being political. 

Her sister Stella on the other hand, not so shy with her views. I highly recommended her Twitter. lol

She leads by example.   Just okay "Dixie" not a good idea, of course I will change it.   Done.   

There's a pandemic -- here's a million dollars for research.    Done.  

She supports those who protest and need to be a little louder.   While just quietly setting the example of how the rest of us should be -- so the folks don't have to protest.  

• Love 13
(edited)
15 hours ago, Anduin said:

Actors sometimes take roles based on other things than pure quality. Money, to work with a specific person, sometimes they just want to do something fun.

Gosling also has a couple of kids and maybe he wants to make a movie they can see.  Maybe they like Barbie.  More than a few actors have taken roles in films so their kids can see them.  

I actually know of an actress who took a role in a silly comedy aimed at kids mainly because her kids liked the story and her other roles weren't the sort of things a 5 year old can watch.  Turned out to be a big hit and made her a bundle which allowed her to be more selective and take a couple of parts she really loved that didn't pay well.  And her kids loved watching it.

Edited by Notabug
  • Useful 2
  • Love 13
8 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

Kevin Federline had two children after his divorce. He took Britney to court saying he needed a larger home. IMO he took advantage of her she's responsible for supporting her sons not his whole family.

The rules for child support say that the kids have to have a comparable life style with either parent.  Federline obviously could not provide that for them which is why he went to court,  It's an extreme example, but it is legal; if his sons had separate bedrooms and play areas at Britney's, the law says they get the same at his place and, if he cannot afford it and she can, she has to pay for it.  The fact that his wife and kids also got to live in a bigger, nicer home was secondary.  

Federline (and probably his wife) have done most of the parenting of Britney's kids, that much is clear. I don't begrudge him getting the money that gives them a lifestyle befitting Britney Spears' children.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Zella said:

I also think that early stardom is detrimental to maturity. I think it was Richard Burton that said you're usually as mature as you were when you became famous, and I've seen quite a lot of other famous people comment along the same line. Obviously there are some child stars that break that stereotype, but I think in Britney's case, becoming famous so young compounded whatever maturity issues come with the conservatorship and not being allowed to make her own decisions for over 10 years. 

I don't know about Britney specifically, but I have read a ton of celebrity autobiographies. And one of the common things about people who become world famous is a crazy level of focus where you concentrate on what you want to do way more than an average person would (I don't think there are a lot of people who half ass it and become famous actors, musicians or comedians). So if she was someone who decided at a young age to become a famous singer, and she was already not getting a great education to begin with, I could easily see her not paying any attention to it at all.

• Sad 1
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

To be fair, I think it was a certain subset of Skipper dolls -- not all of them did that, but mine did.

It was Growing Up Skipper which did that.  I had one.  Wish I still did, might be worth money.  Although I was hard on my Barbies so I probably trashed it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Although I was hard on my Barbies

You and me both. My dad once told me that my Barbie collection looked like an amputee ward. I'm not sure where all their limbs went. 😂

• LOL 19
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I once played so hard I accidentally decapitated a Barbie. We had a funeral and buried her in the yard. Then I decided to try and fix her so I dug her up, performed a resurrection (managed to get her head back on), and continued playing. In the scarynikki12 verse decapitation became a survivable medical condition.

That Skipper doll is the stuff of nightmares.

Their heads popped off a lot. At least in my experience. 👀

I think there is an untapped market for a Frankenstein Barbie movie. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 8
16 hours ago, ouinason said:

That's a little bit terrifying honestly.

The thing I love the most about that commercial is just how much they ignore the breasts popping out.  They mention "Skipper grows taller when you turn her arm" but they need to break out a ruler for us to see that (and I'm not entirely sure I can even with the ruler) and just pretend it's not the plastic version of "legal watch" perverts do to underage teenage women they find attractive.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

LeBron just tweeted about this, so I was curious to see what was going on:

I love that Tom is a nice guy, and I love that he is protective of his wife. I'd probably react similarly if I had family or friends who almost fell down. I'm generally not confrontational, but I have yelled to protect others. 

• Love 18