Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I have to say that my opinion on the matter is that I don't care.  This is between Will and Chris and maybe Jada.  I don't really have an opinion on any celebrity as a person.  

This is ultimately my stance, too. Just amused by the difference in reaction some people are having to this compared to other celebrity scandals, is all. 

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I have to say that my opinion on the matter is that I don't care.  This is between Will and Chris and maybe Jada.  I don't really have an opinion on any celebrity as a person.  

Maybe if this had happened in private. But Will did this during the live airing of the Oscars, seen not just nationally, but internationally. So it's not just between the three of them. And Will didn't just stop with the slap. Audio was silenced because of all the F-Bombs Will was dropping after he returned to his seat.

• Useful 4
  • Love 14
On 3/24/2022 at 8:30 PM, Trini said:

It's not 'scheduling issues' when they control the schedules.

Well, it IS scheduling issues when you consider that filming schedules are set well ahead of time.

I'm willing to cut the actress a break because she's young and relatively inexperienced, and most likely when she first became aware that she hadn't been invited, no one explained to her why.  Social media blew it out of all proportion, but that's not really her fault.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Maybe if this had happened in private. But Will did this during the live airing of the Oscars, seen not just nationally, but internationally. So it's not just between the three of them. And Will didn't just stop with the slap. Audio was silenced because of all the F-Bombs Will was dropping after he returned to his seat.

Yeah made it our business when he did it on live TV.

But if he acts that way with millions of eyes on him how does he act when there aren't?

• Love 13
4 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

It's weird. There have been celebrities who have done way worse things but this just made me sad and depressed for some reason.

It's depressing because you can still count on one hand the amount of black men that have won Best Actor and 1/5 of those wins are now tarnished forever. This is also a guy who's taken 30 years of a successful movie career with little scandal and ruined what was supposed to be the high point. He sure is hell isn't winning another Oscar.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, aghst said:

So how about The Slap?

I think the joke may or may not have been tasteless which merited the eyeroll/bitchface reaction it got from Pinkett Smith, but Smith's violent reaction on the Oscar stage was totally asshole behavior.

4 hours ago, Anduin said:

That's a terrible attitude. She's not bald willingly, it isn't for a part, her hair started falling out. Chris Rock needs better material. He's the real arsehole here.

No, he's not.  He's a comedian who made a joke of questionable taste/possible meanness, like many award show hosts before him.  Jada Pinkett Smith handled it well - giving him a stink eye.  Had that been the entire reaction, it would've been forgotten about in five seconds.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, Dani said:

There was also the Regina Hall is a desperate single women who wants to molest several handsome actors and did a Covid pat down of Jason Momoa and Josh Brolin bit that went on way to long. The Oscars deserves some backlash for a lot of sexist aspects in the show. 

Jacob Elordi refused to play along especially because the jokes centered around him being "legal."

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Jimmy Kimmel went on Bill Simmons podcast to break it down.  Jimmy said Will smiled at the remark initially.

Then all of a sudden he was on stage, going towards Rock.

Maybe Jada's reaction or something she said to him set him off.

Thing is, they don't deserve to be insulted more than any other celebrity or famous person.  but OTOH, they really went all-in on fame and celebrity didn't they?

Not only put themselves out with all the PR and social media but put their young children at the time into the limelight?

Again, that doesn't mean they deserve to be subject to cruel jokes but surely it must have occurred to them that fame can have an ugly down side?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I think the joke may or may not have been tasteless which merited the eyeroll/bitchface reaction it got from Pinkett Smith, but Smith's violent reaction on the Oscar stage was totally asshole behavior.

And what are the ramifications of that?  Will Oscar hosts, or even comedians in general think twice about making jokes about someone in the audience?  We are living in some scary times if a person can't make a joke, no matter how tasteless or lame, without fear of getting physically assaulted. I remember when heckling was frowned upon.  

And why exactly are some people giving Will Smith a pass?  Is it because he did it to defend Jada's honor?  So if Chris had made a joke about Will and he did that he would be an asshole who can't take a joke?  

• Love 12

I've said it before on another message board, but if we're going to use the excuse, "Jada has a disease that makes her lose her hair!" as a defense for Will Smith attacking Chris Rock, then we should also use our energy to defend the disabled who have to deal with discrimination and ableism every single day.  But most people won't defend the disabled, or those with disfigurements or diseases because the majority are not rich, powerful, beautiful celebrities.

I'm sure the Smiths will be fine.

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

It's depressing because you can still count on one hand the amount of black men that have won Best Actor and 1/5 of those wins are now tarnished forever.

I don't think there's any need to make this about race.  What Will does shouldn't reflect upon an entire community of people.  

• Love 5

I haven't read the entirety of posts re The Slap, so could be redundancy here.

1.  For CR, in 2022, to make a joke about someone's appearance (I don't believe for a moment that he knew she struggles with alopecia), is just well, poor judgment at the least.

2.  For Will to out-Kanye Kanye, was probably the dumbest choice he could have possibly made.

3.  This says it better than I could have, from a random Twitter account:  "Just think if Will Smith would have strode on stage, taken the microphone from Chris Rock, briefly and nonviolently admonished him — then educated the audience re Alopecia Areata, how much better a response it would have been. It would have helped, not hurt. Violence destroys."

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Useful 2
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

It's depressing because you can still count on one hand the amount of black men that have won Best Actor and 1/5 of those wins are now tarnished forever. This is also a guy who's taken 30 years of a successful movie career with little scandal and ruined what was supposed to be the high point. He sure is hell isn't winning another Oscar.

I dont agree that any of that is true. 

And I'm not like a huge will Smith guy.  I like him fine but dont have a strong opinion one way or another about him 

Tarnished his Oscar and whole reputation?   No.  This is what we need to get away from. A person makes a mistake where no actual harm is done and they are forever to be punished?  I don't agree. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 6
46 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

He should have waited for his category and called Chris out during his acceptance speech, so Questlove has his well-deserved moment.

Well, but that presumes he knew he would have an award to accept.  <yeah, I know, he probably did>

38 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

no actual harm is done

Um, did you see what I saw?  I would propose that much harm was done, not just whatever level of physical harm to CR, but harm to his own and the reputation of that industry in general.  He has done a disservice to many, many people, in one indulgent act.  Your mileage clearly varies.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 23
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Um, did you see what I saw?  I would propose that much harm was done, not just whatever level of physical harm to CR, but harm to his own and the reputation of that industry in general.  He has done a disservice to many, many people, in one indulgent act.  Your mileage clearly varies.

James Franco is probably super-relieved that this happened, though. Think people will still be talking about the time Will slapped Chris in eleven years?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

No, he's not.  He's a comedian who made a joke of questionable taste/possible meanness, like many award show hosts before him.  Jada Pinkett Smith handled it well - giving him a stink eye.  Had that been the entire reaction, it would've been forgotten about in five seconds.

Exactly Jada is capable of speaking up for herself she isn't a child who needs to be defended. If she she had said that's not funny Chris Rock probably would have apologized and moved on. Will lost his temper and made it all about himself.

• Love 18
28 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

James Franco is probably super-relieved that this happened, though. Think people will still be talking about the time Will slapped Chris in eleven years?

Oh, this will definitely go down in the annals of Notorious Oscar Moments. I am still genuinely surprised that Will Smith is the one who did something like this. I am still genuinely surprised that Russell Crowe never did this!

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Thanks to Judd Apatow's bad  take (and blatantly racist dog whistle) where he basically calls Will a raging, violent beast whose slap was so powerful it practically killed Chris,  people are very much talking about Franco.  More specifically why he stood by and let Franco throw Busy Phillips to the ground on the set of Freaks and Geeks and to this day has never condemned him if he is so concerned about violence.

TBH, the biggest laughs I am getting about this whole thing are people clowning Apatow's now deleted tweet. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 19
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Thanks to Judd Apatow's bad  take (and blatantly racist dog whistle) where he basically calls Will a raging, violent beast whose slap was so powerful it practically killed Chris,  people are very much talking about Franco.  More specifically why he stood by and let Franco throw Busy Phillips to the ground on the set of Freaks and Geeks and to this day has never condemned him if he is so concerned about violence.

TBH, the biggest laughs I am getting about this whole thing are people clowning Apatow's now deleted tweet. 

I would certainly not go so far as to call Will a violent raging anything. Some anger management might be in order. What's interesting is that the people who are defending Will's actions as "protecting Jada's honor" would not condone it if it was a white actor striking Chris. Nor should they. Somehow Will gets a pass because A) his wife is a child who can't speak for herself, or B) hitting is fine as long as you're not a scummy white dude. I don't see how either is an upgrade.

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, aghst said:

Chris is going on tour this summer.

Does he use it?

I think he probably will - if only because it's going to be expected that he'll address it one way or another.

One thing I'd like to know is does he regret saying it now?  Not because he got hit so much but because he must have realized he had genuinely hurt someone (Jada) with that comment. Maybe he doesn't care - but I've always kind of liked Chris Rock so I'm actually hoping he was just thoughtless not intentionally cruel.

Edited by SusanM
  • Love 5

Saw a tweet suggesting that he didn't write the joke.

Whatever, he said it on TV in front of an international audience so the buck stops you know where.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, aghst said:

Saw a tweet suggesting that he didn't write the joke.

Whatever, he said it on TV in front of an international audience so the buck stops you know where.

I was seeing stuff last night pretty soon after it happened that said the joke was from one of the writers. I assume most of the material is at awards shows. But yes he is the one who stood up there and said it. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

I was seeing stuff last night pretty soon after it happened that said the joke was from one of the writers. I assume most of the material is at awards shows. 

If true this makes what happened even worse. Smith attacks Rock over a joke he didn’t even write. SMH. No matter the author of the joke, it was tasteless but when have many jokes at these award shows not been? Will’s behavior was disappointing and shameful. 

I wonder if enough time will have passed next year for him to be invited to present the Best Actress award. And will Rock, be out as a host of the show going forward?

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
Just now, Enero said:

If true this makes what happened even worse. Smith attacks Rock over a joke he didn’t even write. SMH. No matter the author of the joke, it was tasteless but when have many jokes at these award shows not been? Will’s behavior was disappointing and shameful. 

I wonder if enough time will have passed next year for him to be invited to present the Best Actress award. And will Rock, be out as a host of the show going forward?

Interestingly, I just came across an article that says the joke was not in the rehearsal or script. So, now I am not so sure if he ad-libbed it or if it was still from a writer and just didn't make it to the final draft. I imagine nobody's particularly interested in claiming it now. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/oscars-backstage-will-smith-incident-1235121056/

Like you, I am also curious how they will handle it next year. 

• Useful 5
1 hour ago, Prairie Rose said:

Oh, this will definitely go down in the annals of Notorious Oscar Moments. I am still genuinely surprised that Will Smith is the one who did something like this. I am still genuinely surprised that Russell Crowe never did this!

I'm surprised Marlon Brando never did this! He sure was surly enough and had no veneer of civility! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Tarnished his Oscar and whole reputation?   No.  This is what we need to get away from. A person makes a mistake where no actual harm is done and they are forever to be punished?  I don't agree. 

I would argue we need to get away from sweeping violent behavior under the rug. That we need to get away from the idea that physically touching someone without their consent does no actual harm. 

When famous people do things on national television those things color the perception of them. Will walking up on that stage and slapping Chris and Will giving an acceptance speech minutes later where he acted like a protector will forever impact mine and others perception of him. Just like Tom Cruise jumping on a couch changed my opinion of him. That’s not punishment. That’s just actions having consequences. 

24 minutes ago, Dani said:

That’s not punishment. That’s just actions having consequences. 

that's where I'm at with this. I do not like physical violence, even if it is "just a slap". What Chris Rock said was horrible, tasteless, uncalled for and no doubt hurt Jada and I do think he should apologize, even if he didn't come up with the joke he made the choice to say it in front of millions (do these things still go out to millions? Even if they don't, the internet has seen it and that shit is legion). Slapping him does not, however, change a damned thing, other than making Will Smith look like a hot headed asshole who doesn't know how to conduct himself in public. 

While I don't like the "joke" I am not surprised by a comedian making a hurtful comment thinking it is funny. I am surprised that a man at a formal event that is being televised would choose to resort to an act of violence rather than using his own words to point out how hurtful the comment was. 

There is an old saying, two wrongs don't make a right. Will fucked the pooch on this one because he... what, has to prove his manhood by "protecting the honor of his woman"? (just threw up a little at that misogynistic bs), or is it just that he has the self control of an over indulged toddler (which, the more I think about it, the more it seems true to him)? Either way, I'd ban him from the Oscars for at least a year. We have zero tolerance in schools, who knew we needed it at pretentious awards ceremonies as well.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

Will Smith doesn't have the talent to polish the shoes of Sidney Poitier.  Nothing he could ever do would diminish the work of the iconic Mr. Poitier. 

I'd say that about 75% of Hollywood today. Mr. Poitier was the very definition of class.

• Love 6

That prideful stride after he hit Chris reall irks me. The reports of him in tears during the commercials? Yeah right.

I've had a couple of crappy days at work as of late, where I've been a flat out bitch to people. I wasn't my best self. Thankfully, I still have a job and it wasn't done in front of millions. The thing is each night, I came home with a touch a guilt and self-loathing for being such a tool to others. In the after-party video of him laughing and dancing, I saw none of that. He was loving the limelight....

.....and then there's David Letterman's succinct recap of the Oscars from last night:

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Did you see how Chris D'elia tried to get in on the fun and he was quickly bullied back offline to where he belongs? 😄😄😄😄😄

2 hours ago, Zella said:

Like you, I am also curious how they will handle it next year. 

This is going to sound so dramatic but we already know that ABC threatened to cancel the Oscars if they didn't cut all those categories and now this?  Imagine if Will kills the Oscars?  LOL!

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This is going to sound so dramatic but we already know that ABC threatened to cancel the Oscars if they didn't cut all those categories and now this?

Is that why they did the technical categories first and didn't really include them in the show? I didn't watch, but I saw people talking about that and noting that they were depriving viewers of seeing one of the movies that had performed best at the box office win a lot of awards. It seemed like a pretty spectacularly inept self-own for a program desperate for more viewers. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

Is that why they did the technical categories first and didn't really include them in the show? I didn't watch, but I saw people talking about that and noting that they were depriving viewers of seeing one of the movies that had performed best at the box office win a lot of awards. It seemed like a pretty spectacularly inept self-own for a program desperate for more viewers. 

Yes, everyone is mad at "The Oscars", the Oscars, but they had no choice.  ABC threatened to cancel them if they didn't remove those categories.  Very sad.  Samuel L. Jackson got a lifetime Governor's award and they didn't even give him a ceremony with clips from his films.  It was all just so stupid.

And the ceremony ended up going over like 40 minutes, but I think Will had something to do with that.  LOL.

• Love 4
Just now, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yes, everyone is mad at "The Oscars", the Oscars, but they had no choice. 

Yeah I saw quite a bit of complaining about that but had no idea they were ordered to do that. Apparently some folks thought it was offensive to the crews who were winning and arrived early, so they'd still have an audience, which I thought was a nice gesture. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

ABC seemed to think putting those 8 categories during the red carpet hour before the broadcast would make the show shorter and that no one would care. Joke's on them because the show ended up thirty minutes longer and they got a ton of bad press about dumping those awards.

Whoever is in charge of the Oscar show and ABC doesn't know what they're doing. Dune won 4 of those 8 awards and then won more during the main show, which was expected, so you'd think the guy/team in charge would want to use that to build suspense for Best Picture: Can the movie winning the most awards of the night pull off the big one? Or will it fall short in favor of CODA's recent momentum?

Riz Ahmed, a talented actor who people know or will recognize from various roles, won an Oscar for his short film and was relegated to the pre-show because the three short categories weren't considered important. 

Hans Zimmer, who is the widely recognized and successful talent behind scores for such movies like Gladiator, The Dark Knight Trilogy, Pirates Of The Caribbean, and The Lion King, won for Dune's score and wasn't considered important enough to make the main show. In his case he was in Amsterdam (leading to a cute tweet that his daughter dragged him to the hotel bar to celebrate in their robes in the middle of the night when his win was announced) so we wouldn't have gotten a speech but that's beside the point.

The point is that whoever at ABC is running the Oscar show doesn't care about celebrating the year in movies and the people who worked so hard to make them. That needs to change.

8 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yeah I saw quite a bit of complaining about that but had no idea they were ordered to do that. Apparently some folks thought it was offensive to the crews who were winning and arrived early, so they'd still have an audience, which I thought was a nice gesture. 

The theater was 80% full so those 8 awards did have support which was great.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
On 3/28/2022 at 8:09 AM, Fool to cry said:

It's weird. There have been celebrities who have done way worse things but this just made me sad and depressed for some reason.

Because he stole the night from every other winner & that's sad. I don't give a damn who wins an Oscar, but if I was in the entertainment business & nominated for one, & Will Smith did this (especially right before my category) I would be really upset. He had no right to steal the night like that.

Edited by GaT
added a word
  • Love 15
9 hours ago, Dani said:

There was also the Regina Hall is a desperate single women who wants to molest several handsome actors and did a Covid pat down of Jason Momoa and Josh Brolin bit that went on way to long. The Oscars deserves some backlash for a lot of sexist aspects in the show. 

Amen. The double standard is why Hollywood still has so many problems in the post-#MeToo era.

• Love 8

I'm not a fan, I don't pretend to vouch for how sincere he may have been and I know that this doesn't unring the badly rung bell. However, FWIW, Will Smith HAS issued an apology for having slapped Kevin Hart. Hence, in the interest of fairness, this needs to be reported so people won't continue to operate under the assumption that Mr. Smith never attempted an apology towards the person he assaulted in front of the Oscar  and worldwide television audiences:

https://news.yahoo.com/oscars-2022-live-embarrassed-smith-031421559.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

• Useful 2

Thanks to Judd Apatow's bad  take (and blatantly racist dog whistle)

Did you see how Chris D'elia tried to get in on the fun and he was quickly bullied back offline to where he belongs? 😄😄😄😄😄

I expect it from those guys but there was a truly baffling number of "celebrities" (using the word loosely) who felt the need to comment on twitter and reveal their racist biases.

ABC threatened to cancel them if they didn't remove those categories.

What are the options for moving to another network?

According to a post by the Hawai’i County Police Department, South Hilo officers responded to a report of a disorderly bar patron on Sunday evening at 11:30 p.m. Police determined that the agitator had become unruly while other patrons sang karaoke and had begun “yelling obscenities.” Miller then “grabbed the microphone from a 23-year-old woman singing karaoke and later lunged at a 32-year-old man playing darts.”

Not surprising given the other stories about Ezra Miller.

However, FWIW, Will Smith HAS issued an apology for having slapped Kevin Hart. 

When did he slap Kevin Hart?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I really am trying not to get sucked into all of it and move on bit one last comment. 

Why is being called GI Jane an insult?  

Demi Moore shaved her head for the role. Jada Pinkett is involuntarily going bald, and is self-conscious about it. Chris Rock was making fun of her in a hurtful way.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13

Why is being called GI Jane an insult?  

It's a movie about a woman who has to fight to earn her place in the navy by becoming "more masculine" and meeting masculine standards. In the casting of Demi Moore and in the writing of the movie itself, it is very concerned with gender norms. A pretty woman being stripped of the traditional signifiers of femininity and competing in a male arena. There's even a subplot where she's accused of being a lesbian. (I'm getting this from wikipedia, it's been years since I saw the movie.)

And you could write a whole dissertation about the history of denying black women in America femininity, dignity, and personhood.

• Love 19