Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

It's like what's her face telling Lebron James to shut up and dribble.  Famous people are human beings and they have thoughts and feelings and opinions and if they want to tell people then they should.  I must say I find it odd that people have a problem with Bradley Cooper telling stories about how two other famous people (who he did not name) were not so kind to him when celebs routinely dis each other on social media and have Twitter feuds over imaginary slights and nobody blinks an eye.  

Especially when they’re invited specifically to come and talk about their personal experiences. He answered their questions honestly.

• Love 12
(edited)
23 hours ago, Jaded said:

I'm willing to bet some of that stress and stuff going on involved working with Michael Weatherly who Jessica also ended up engaged to for a while when they were doing the show Dark Angel. I don't think Jensen was part of that show from the start. Jessica was in her late teens when that show started and Weatherly was in his 30's, divorced and had a kid.

On 6/23/2022 at 11:50 AM, RealHousewife said:

When talking about her behavior, Jenson listed a relationship that she probably shouldn’t have been in as part of the stress she was under. Based on the timing that was definitely Weatherly. Dark Angel was also created by James Cameron who is known for making his actors miserable. 

Edited by Makai
  • Useful 6
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

And more credit where it's due, she still seems to be having a ton of fun out there.  It isn't only prestige piece after prestige piece.

I think Meryl Streep has reached the point in her career (actually, she's been there for decades) where she doesn't have to worry about what a certain role will do to her image so she can take anything she wants. She doesn't have to take whatever is offered to her (which I doubt she could do since it seems like she is offered every lead over 40 years old) but she can also take something terrible just because it appeals to her and not worry about it destroying her career. It's something I think a lot of male actors get away with, but it's rare for a female to have that luxury so good on her!

• Love 17

I think Meryl Streep has reached the point in her career (actually, she's been there for decades) where she doesn't have to worry about what a certain role will do to her image so she can take anything she wants. [...] she can also take something terrible just because it appeals to her and not worry about it destroying her career.

I think what's crazy is that she gets nominated for Oscars for those roles anyway. I'm glad she's making movies she enjoys but those aren't Oscar-worthy performances. I swear they would have nominated her for Mamma Mia if Julie & Julia wasn't an option.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

I think what's crazy is that she gets nominated for Oscars for those roles anyway. I'm glad she's making movies she enjoys but those aren't Oscar-worthy performances. I swear they would have nominated her for Mamma Mia if Julie & Julia wasn't an option.

Ah yes, Mama Mia. Proof that Meryl isn't good in everything (although, truth be told, I thought both the directing and the casting for that movie were terrible.).

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I think Meryl Streep has reached the point in her career (actually, she's been there for decades) where she doesn't have to worry about what a certain role will do to her image so she can take anything she wants. She doesn't have to take whatever is offered to her (which I doubt she could do since it seems like she is offered every lead over 40 years old) but she can also take something terrible just because it appeals to her and not worry about it destroying her career. It's something I think a lot of male actors get away with, but it's rare for a female to have that luxury so good on her!

I've said the same thing about Charlize Theron.  I feel like she's entered this "eff it" part of her career that I totally dig.  I feel like she's just doing whatever she wants whether for fun or artistic merit, without much worry about the long term effects on her career, and I totally respect that.  Not that all her choices are my cuppa but that's the point.  They are her choices.  

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 7
  • Love 8

So, since Bradley Cooper reported some anon  female celeb told him he deserved 'the nom' and that he'd taken umbrage over that,  we should heap praise on him because that's somehow supposed to contribute to the downfall of secresy,hypocrisy and casting couches?!HUH?! What does THAT have to do with the price of tea in China (even considering the somewhat watered down,bland room temp tea that supposedly got spilled)?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

So, since Bradley Cooper reported some anon  female celeb told him he deserved 'the nom' and that he'd taken umbrage over that,  we should heap praise on him because that's somehow supposed to contribute to the downfall of secresy,hypocrisy and casting couches?!HUH?! What does THAT have to do with the price of tea in China (even considering the somewhat watered down,bland room temp tea that supposedly got spilled)?

The discussion about his situation moved into a broader conversation that wasn't just about him. My post which is one that you're mentioning was a part of that.

• Love 4
On 6/23/2022 at 8:44 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

She plays a bad person way more than Tom Hanks does, for example!

TBF, Tom Hanks is playing Col. Tom Parker in the new Elvis movie, and that's not exactly a "good guy" role.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I'm seeing lots of bad reviews for the movie. Haven't checked what they specifically say about Hanks.

Remember John Davidson? Ever wonder what he's up to? He's turned 80(!) and apparently a Washington Post reporter did. Pretty interesting discussion of his career, he spent the winter on a boat in Mexico and has a tiny theater in NH where he performs several times a week in the summer. Lots of "I thought he was dead!" in the comments. Strangely, no mention of That's Incredible in the article.

As always, WaPo allows 5 free articles per month if you don't have a subscription.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/23/2022 at 3:30 AM, Blergh said:

So Mr. Cooper has no options but to either broadcast and take umbrage over an anonymous  left-handed compliment as though he'd been given the worst possible public insult OR become a total kiss-up Hollywood phony?

No which is why no one said that. Saying I prefer x to y doesn’t mean that x and y are the only option. There are a lot of options he could have taken that I would prefer but I’m not going to list them all. 

On 6/23/2022 at 3:30 AM, Blergh said:

What's wrong with being truthful, tactful and having discretion- especially about whether to share with the world every non-worshipful remark one has heard others make? 

That seems a tad hyperbolic since it’s very unlikely he shared every non-worshipful remark. Although he he’s only received two I would be very jealous. 

6 hours ago, Blergh said:

Nope which is probably why no one said that. The attempted dismantling of the culture that led to all of that also led to quotes like the one Cooper made but that doesn’t mean anyone needs to praise him for it. 

Edited by Makai
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I'm seeing lots of bad reviews for the movie. Haven't checked what they specifically say about Hanks.

The ones I've seen praise Butler for his performance as Elvis but find Baz Luhrmann's shtick grating and out of place. I've seen mixed reviews on Hanks as Parker, with some critics feeling like he gets too much of the spotlight. 

I'm honestly not sure how to evaluate that without seeing the movie. For better or worse, Parker was a very divisive figure who really did insinuate himself heavily into Elvis's career. I was that weird 90s kid who had an Elvis crush rather than a boy band crush, but even as a kid, I found Parker really creepy and offputting. So, I am kind of wondering if Hanks is maybe just doing Parker too well. I say that as someone who doesn't dislike Hanks but can find the internet's adulation of him a bit much. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 5
  • Love 7
On 6/25/2022 at 3:06 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

The film currently has a 78 critic score on Rotten Tomatoes. That's not the type of score for a film with a significant amount of bad reviews. For comparison, Bohemian Rhapsody had a 60 score and Green Book, which won the Oscar for Best Picture had a 77. Btw, the audience score is a 94. So critics aside, the people who went to see it this weekend, clearly loved it. 

On 6/25/2022 at 10:15 AM, Zella said:

The ones I've seen praise Butler for his performance as Elvis but find Baz Luhrmann's shtick grating and out of place. I've seen mixed reviews on Hanks as Parker, with some critics feeling like he gets too much of the spotlight. 

Essentially. Also, many of these early reviews came from the film festival screenings. I'm going to quote this in the actual film thread, to comment further, so as to not go off topic in this thread. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:
3 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I thought Austin Butler was brilliant. 

I thought he really shined once we got to 1968.

From what I heard him say in an interview on Josh Gates Tonight (on Discovery channel), the '68 Comeback Special was the first thing they shot.  He also said that because of that, he probably felt the closest to what Elvis himself was feeling at the time.

https://m.facebook.com/Discovery/videos/how-austin-butler-channels-his-inner-elvis-josh-gates-tonight/443799380512778/

• Love 1
On 6/24/2022 at 12:55 PM, Cinnabon said:
On 6/24/2022 at 8:30 AM, bluegirl147 said:

It's like what's her face telling Lebron James to shut up and dribble.  Famous people are human beings and they have thoughts and feelings and opinions and if they want to tell people then they should.  I must say I find it odd that people have a problem with Bradley Cooper telling stories about how two other famous people (who he did not name) were not so kind to him when celebs routinely dis each other on social media and have Twitter feuds over imaginary slights and nobody blinks an eye.  

Especially when they’re invited specifically to come and talk about their personal experiences. He answered their questions honestly.

Exactly! Like what was he supposed to do? Stare into the abyss?

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

I don't think people have a problem generally with actors spilling the tea on things.  At least I don't, I love to hear the juicy insider bits where it isn't all a love bath.

But that said, everyone receives the information and get to process it however they feel it. Was it a funny story? Was it a malicious story?  Was there some untold context where the person's perspective is skewed? 

In the case of the Bradley Cooper, yeah, I admit, I am one of those who thinks complaining about people who complain about your multiple oscar noms feels like a humblebrag. 

So I decided to listen to the podcast to hear the story and get the intonation and verbal inflections and the context where maybe it makes more sense that just how the various tabs were reporting it. So yeah, running up to that part, they didn't ask him about any of that stuff at all.   They had been tongue bathing him on the new Leonard Bernstein movie for about a good 5-10 mins then  they cut to a commercial.  When they come back, Will Arnett takes a moment to correct his earlier intro of  Brad where he had mistakenly  said Brad had 7 Oscar nominations but in fact it was 9.  Jason starts ragging on Will, they are arguing like brothers giving each other the shit. At that point Bradley jumps in, apropos of nothing, and says "I was at this party.... I never forget anything anybody mean ever said to me.  It is cataloged, I can tell exactly where I was and if they challenge the verbiage, the sentence structure I am all 'no bro that is not what you said'' And then he launches into the two stories.  After which he says "I fucking hate this business."

Unironically, and rather hilariously,imo, they begin to lament the fact that people will often inject negative things into a positive moment to bring someone down.  Whereupon Sean Hayes says: "Anytime anyone says anything negative it is about their own self hatred."

Meanwhile, I am LOL'ing because they had been having a fairly upbeat convo until Bradley introduced the negative story!

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 6
On 6/24/2022 at 7:30 AM, bluegirl147 said:

I call her the shut up and dribble lady. 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 4
On 6/21/2022 at 11:05 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

Is it though? I live in Canada so it might be different here, but I looked it up and if I wanted to go see Top Gun Maverick tomorrow at a standard movie theatre it would be $12.99 (it's $7.45 today because Tuesday is cheap day). $12.99 is not super cheap but it's still a pretty good deal compared to just about anything else where you have to leave the house. Other than fast food I can't go out for a meal for $12.99. I can't even go for a few beers for that price. 

To me, $12.99 is freaking outrageous.  There are damned few movies which merit that cost for me.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 6
On 6/23/2022 at 8:21 PM, Zella said:

I just looked up that GQ cover. Holy shit it is bad. It looks like they embalmed a wax figurine of Brad Pitt! 

I don't even find Brad Pitt attractive and I think that cover is horrible.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Unironically, and rather hilariously,imo, they begin to lament the fact that people will often inject negative things into a positive moment to bring someone down.  Whereupon Sean Hayes says: "Anytime anyone says anything negative it is about their own self hatred."

Meanwhile, I am LOL'ing because they had been having a fairly upbeat convo until Bradley introduced the negative story!

Hahahahhaha. It makes me wonder how long he'd been sitting there trying to find just the right time for that story. The time seemed like it wasn't going to come, so he jumped in there. 

I just don't see the point of telling that story. If he wanted to shame the person he should have named her. If he thinks what she was doing was bullying, he's clearly never been bullied. At best he was Mean Girled by a peer. Her opinion doesn't matter unless she is all the voters. 

All I hear him saying is "boo hoo, someone thinks I only deserved a nomination and not the award". 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

Thora Birch is making her feature directorial debut with the Gabby Petito movie. What a sentence. She’s also acting in the film as Petito’s mother, Nicole Schmidt. Photos were released over the weekend of the shoot, which is how I found out about this whole thing.

According to a Deadline article from when the movie was announced, Lifetime is pulling out all the stops with this one. By that I mean that they’re creating a new PSA that will debut alongside the movie, which is tentatively titled The Gabby Petito Story. This is the work!

https://www.gawker.com/celebrity/which-90s-child-star-is-directing-the-gabby-petito-movie-thora-birch

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1

Samuel Garner Affleck, the 10-year-old son of Ben and his ex-wife, Jennifer Garner, appears to have accompanied his dad and J.Lo to a car dealership in L.A., where he somehow ended up in the driver’s seat of a yellow Lamborghini worth $225,000 with the car’s engine still running. J.Lo also got in the car, but in the back seat. Huh! Anyway, what happened next is exactly what you’d expect to happen when a 10-year-old drives a car, which is that Samuel put the car in reverse and hit a white BMW parked behind him. Thankfully no one was harmed, not even the cars themselves, according to Affleck’s rep via TMZ. 

https://www.thecut.com/2022/06/ben-affleck-son-lamborghini-accident.html

• Mind Blown 8
8 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Thora Birch is old enough to play an adult's mother?   How is that possible?   She was a child star in the 90s and that was only like 10 years ago.   RIGHT?   Oh wait ......

I honesty first thought she was going to play Gabby.  That seemed more believable than her being the mother to a 22 years old. I can’t believe that Thora is 40 or that the 90’s were thirty years ago. 

On 6/24/2022 at 7:40 PM, Shannon L. said:

Ah yes, Mama Mia. Proof that Meryl isn't good in everything (although, truth be told, I thought both the directing and the casting for that movie were terrible.).

As an aside, Meryl was playing a character that was supposed to be in her early 40's. I mean, it's great that Meryl is defeating the ageism of her industry, but come on.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 6/28/2022 at 7:23 AM, merylinkid said:

Thora Birch is old enough to play an adult's mother?   How is that possible?   She was a child star in the 90s and that was only like 10 years ago.   RIGHT?   Oh wait ......

Yep, she is only a few years younger than Gabby's mom. However it looks like she is directing too. I am glad she is branching out and hope the directing goes well. I remember when her dad's interference derailed her child to adult acting transition, which was disappointing after her turns in Ghost World and American Beauty. 

• Love 6
On 6/28/2022 at 4:23 AM, merylinkid said:

Am I the only one who reads "Thora Birch" and automatically envisions Thora Hird?  Well of course she's old enough to play an adult's mother!

Thora Hird.jpg

• LOL 6

Chris Pratt Addresses Outrage Over Religious Beliefs, Alleged Ties to Anti-LGBTQ Church

1. Says that it was mistake to say what he did at the 2018 awards show ("God loves you...." etc) and that he's not all that religious and understands how oppressive religion can be.

2. "It has recently been suggested that I belong to a church which 'hates a certain group of people' and is 'infamously anti-LGBTQ.' Nothing could be further from the truth. I am a man who believes that everyone is entitled to love who they want free from the judgment of their fellow man."

While Pratt refrained from naming names in his initial statement, he left no uncertainty in his Men's Health profile. "I never went to Hillsong. I've never actually been to Hillsong. I don't know anyone from that church."

When asked why it took so long for him to publicly renounce Hillsong, the actor replied "I'm gonna, like, throw a church under the bus? If it's like the Westboro Baptist Church, that's different."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Maybe it's too little, too late. Maybe he's working on his image and it's all BS.  I've said before, he's not my favorite Chris, but I don't hate him (and I think he was excellent casting to play Peter Quill).  I never got the sense that he was homophobic or anything too horrible based on some of the nicer things I've read about him. Until I hear much worse, he falls into the "Nobody's perfect" category. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5

I think most folks will give him the benefit of the doubt. 

He's certainly not the most intelligent Chris!  I can't ever see him any different from his character Andy in "Parks & Rec".   A well-intentioned goofball, but not malicious or deliberately mean.  He just keeps stepping on his own wang and can't seem to stop.  

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Did he disavow his brother’s beliefs as well? Even, “Everyone has members of their family with whom they don’t agree. That doesn’t mean I don’t love my family. I do. We can love each other and still disagree.” Colin Hanks managed it with class. Did the Pratt even try?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7

RE: Chris Pratt

He thinks we're all stupid, doesn't he?

In the same interview in which he claimed he’s not religious, the actor confirmed that he attends Zoe Church (though not exclusively), which has ties to Hillsong, a church that has been linked to conversion therapy and whose leaders have made anti-LGBTQ+ statements in the past. Zoe Church was founded in 2015 by pastor Chad Veach, who used to preach at Hillsong and told the New York Times that he built his church inspired by Hillsong. When asked by the Times about his stance on abortion, Veach said, “At the end of the day, I’m a Bible guy,” but added that he didn’t want to bring politics into Zoe. “We’re here to talk about God. This is not the place for a political agenda.” The church has no official policy on LGBTQ+ issues, but reports suggest there is no evidence of the organization supporting same-sex marriages or allowing LGBTQ+ pastors. And Veach himself has been involved in projects that have cast doubt on his political agenda. In 2017, he executive produced The Heart of Man, a film that reportedly equated “same-sex attraction” with “sexual brokenness.”

https://www.thecut.com/2022/06/chris-pratt-clarifies-his-relationship-with-hillsong-church.html

• Useful 5
  • Love 9
28 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I was just going to post this. When Elliot Page called Pratt out for going to an anti-LGTBQ church he never said which one. Most assumed it was Hillsong but it wasn’t a secret that it was actually Zoe. He’s statement was full of shit and is just an obfuscation. He goes to a church with many ties to Hillsong, that was modeled off Hillsong and that has never renounced Hillsong’s hate. 

3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I am a man who believes that everyone is entitled to love who they want free from the judgment of their fellow man."

That reads like, "but god will judge yo ass."

I like him as Peter Quill, hated with the fire of a thousand suns Andy on Parks & Rec, and don't give a shit about the new JP movies. 

I do think he's a dipshit. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
42 minutes ago, Dani said:

I was just going to post this. When Elliot Page called Pratt out for going to am anti-LGTBQ church he never said which one. Most assumed it was Hillsong but it wasn’t a secret that it was actually Zoe. He’s statement was full of shit and is just an obfuscation. He goes to a church with many ties to Hillsong, that was modeled off Hillsong and that has never renounced Hillsong’s hate. 

It always seemed odd to me that Pratt seems to get singled out for belonging to an anti-LGBTQ church. I mean if he does that is shitty of course. But at the same time a lot of religions are anti-LGBTQ. Yet he seems to get called out for that way disproportionately compared to any Catholic celebrities, or Mormon Celebrities, or Muslim Celebrities or any Scientologists. If people want to not like one single celebrity that's fine, but it seems like a weird thing to single him out for.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Like 9
  • Useful 2
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

It always seemed odd to me that Pratt seems to get singled out for belonging to an anti-LGBTQ church. I mean if he does that is shitty of course. But at the same time a lot of religions are anti-LGBTQ. Yet he seems to get called out for that way disproportionately compared to any Catholic celebrities, or Mormon Celebrities, or Muslim Celebrities or any Scientologists.

Many Catholic Churches welcome LGBT parishioners. I’m sure it’s the same with other denominations. Hillsong has been particularly public with its hatred and discrimination. Also, Catholics are Christians.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Tom Cruise has said and done way more questionable things, and IMO actually harmful to the public things, that Chris Pratt has ever been accused of and I don't see the same level of hate for him.  Where are the "worst Tom" memes (Tom Hanks is an angel, it's right there!!) and the snide remarks?  He, demonstrably, has terrible beliefs and makes no bones about it, but he doesn't seem to "just rub people the wrong way" which seems to be CP's real crime.  

And I will NEVER be here for dragging a person for their siblings' behavior/beliefs.  For any reason.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

It always seemed odd to me that Pratt seems to get singled out for belonging to an anti-LGBTQ church. I mean if he does that is shitty of course. But at the same time a lot of religions are anti-LGBTQ. Yet he seems to get called out for that way disproportionately compared to any Catholic celebrities, or Mormon Celebrities, or Muslim Celebrities or any Scientologists.

That is comparing religions and individual churches. It’s like the difference between calling out all Baptists and Westboro specifically. Scientologists do get called out a lot. 

I call out anyone who associates themselves with a church or organization who has hateful views.  Actually to be more specific I call out anyone who has hateful views.  There are a ton of celebs I don't like because their beliefs which are counter to my beliefs I find offensive.  

I don't hate Chris Pratt. I don't care for him though.  I just get an icky vibe from him.  Not a fan of Chris Hemsworth either. Not not a fan I just don't really care one way or the other.  I do like Evans and Pine though. 

Didn't the Kardashians have some connection to Hillsong?

• Like 3
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, ouinason said:

Tom Cruise has said and done way more questionable things, and IMO actually harmful to the public things, that Chris Pratt has ever been accused of and I don't see the same level of hate for him.  Where are the "worst Tom" memes (Tom Hanks is an angel, it's right there!!) and the snide remarks?  He, demonstrably, has terrible beliefs and makes no bones about it, but he doesn't seem to "just rub people the wrong way" which seems to be CP's real crime.  

And I will NEVER be here for dragging a person for their siblings' behavior/beliefs.  For any reason.

Almost everyone I know detests Tom Cruise because of his beliefs. I guess it depends on who you know. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Love 20