Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

As I understand it, they consider artists eligible after about 25 years since their first album? 

What I find weird about the whole Dolly Parton thing is that her first album came out in the 60's so why is this the first time she was up for a nomination? Shouldn't the debate about her being in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame been going on at some point in the mid 1990's?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

As I understand it, they consider artists eligible after about 25 years since their first album? 

Yes, that's correct. Although some were still confused because many believe The Slim Shady LP was Eminem's first full-length album, which was released in 1999, which would put him at 23 years since his first major album release.

But in fact, his first full-length album was an independent release, Infinite, which was released in 1996. Slim Shady LP was just the album that put him on the map. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Useful 4
3 hours ago, Zella said:

I think people made a bigger deal out of it than she did. She expressed an opinion and everyone went batshit crazy.

Exactly. Her statement was extremely humble and thoughtful. She didn’t think she earned the right and didn’t want to take a spot that could go to someone more deserving. 

2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

So bizarre that Eminem got in the year he become eligible but Pat Benatar was eligible for 18 years before being inducted. Love is a Battlefield is a rock stable. The actual rock artists who made it in had to wait years. 

I think it's pretty shitty the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame/the voters ignored her stated wish. But somehow I'm not surprised. It just seems disrespectful to me. She's not an object. If she didn't want to be included, she shouldn't have been. It seems really simple to me.

Maybe that's a UO.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, cleo said:

I think it's pretty shitty the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame/the voters ignored her stated wish. But somehow I'm not surprised. It just seems disrespectful to me. She's not an object. If she didn't want to be included, she shouldn't have been. It seems really simple to me.

Maybe that's a UO.

She expressed that wish after the ballots had gone out and then changed her mind again before the votes were in. I don't think there's a bad guy in this story.

• Useful 2
  • Love 17
(edited)

I'm aware ballots had gone out but all they had to do was instruct the voters to disregard. Or that they would disregard any votes cast for her.

There were options but they just carried on. She will be/is being gracious about it bc they didnt really give her a choice.  but it doesn't make it any less shitty imo.

Anyway it's done.

Edited by cleo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Dani said:

Exactly. Her statement was extremely humble and thoughtful. She didn’t think she earned the right and didn’t want to take a spot that could go to someone more deserving. 

So bizarre that Eminem got in the year he become eligible but Pat Benatar was eligible for 18 years before being inducted. Love is a Battlefield is a rock stable. The actual rock artists who made it in had to wait years. 

Exactly. And Eminem isn’t rock music, either.

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, cleo said:

I think it's pretty shitty the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame/the voters ignored her stated wish.

I think many voters did respect her wish.  Had she been open to it throughout the process, I suspect she would have been higher up in the fan vote totals than she was.

She said she didn't want to be a part of it and she said why--she felt she didn't fit the criteria.  But voters who do know the criteria felt she did fit. They have that right too if that's the sole extent of her objections (which it sounds like it was.)

She's Dolly.  Since she expressed reluctance, she could have turned it down.  For whatever reason, she has changed her mind. Maybe she's doing it to be gracious because she knows it means something to people. Or maybe they did convince her that her music transcends.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, Dani said:

I love both of them, but this is absolutely criminal.

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Hasn't Lionel been eligible for over 20 years?

15 years

13 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

In the clip they showed on the morning shows today, all you can hear is Chris Rock saying "Was that Will Smith?".  Doesn't mean Chappelle didn't say something else, though.

13 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

Oh, I thought that was Chris Rock.  Some reports stated that Chris Rock was there and after the incident he hugged Dave and said "Was that Will Smith."

It was Chris Rock

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I

9 hours ago, cleo said:

I'm aware ballots had gone out but all they had to do was instruct the voters to disregard. Or that they would disregard any votes cast for her.

There were options but they just carried on. She will be/is being gracious about it bc they didnt really give her a choice.  but it doesn't make it any less shitty imo.

Anyway it's done.

Dolly said she had it explained to her, I presume by the Rock HOF, that it doesn't mean just the genre of Rock but all the influencers too.   So she became okay with it.   People are allowed to change their minds when they have more facts.  

• Love 20
(edited)

Sure people can change their minds. Or she is just being gracious and trying not to make a bigger fuss bc they were going ahead anyway.

In either case I thought it was handled poorly- she never had a choice as far as I know. They were never going to take her off the ballot. So no matter whether she changed her mind or not it was going ahead. 

Edited by cleo
  • Love 5

Regarding the Hall of Fame, the voting itself is based on popularity of the nominees. That's the unfortunate reason it took them so long before inducting Pat Benatar, Rush, Ringo, etc, while others get in as soon as they become available. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, Dani said:

15 years

Richie started out with the Commodores whose first album was released in 1974.  They weren't too shabby either and they've been eligible since 1999, 23 years.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Regarding the Hall of Fame, the voting itself is based on popularity of the nominees. That's the unfortunate reason it took them so long before inducting Pat Benatar, Rush, Ringo, etc, while others get in as soon as they become available. 

Let's not even mention how long it took Deep Purple to get in.

11 hours ago, GaT said:

It was Chris Rock

Yes, I edited my post after I realized my mistake.

3 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

And Chappelle took the first opportunity he could to make a trans joke. Because of course he would.

I do think Chappelle is talented, but the trans jokes have to stop. I don't even like some of the stuff he's said about women. I remember in one special he said no such thing as good 35-year-old p***y. Vulgar and misogynistic much? 

• Love 11
(edited)
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

And the MC5 are still not in it, and they were some of the OG pioneers of rock music.

Revealing my musical ignorance here but I have never heard of them.  I googled thinking you were using a shortened form of the name of a band I would know and just couldn't think of but no, a group that I've somehow never come across. 

Edited by SusanM
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, SusanM said:

Revealing my musical ignorance here but I have never heard of them.  I googled thinking you were using a shortened form of the name of a band I would know and just couldn't think of but no, a group that I've somehow never come across. 

Are you into the history of rock and roll?

• Love 1

Carly Simon's first album came out in '71. She's been eligible for 26 years if I'm adding correctly. Really surprised it took so long. I expect Pat and Eminem will get their Kennedy Center Honors in the next few years as these tend to overlap. 

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I'm hoping somehow the Monkees will get in the Hall of Fame while Micky Dolenz is still with us but I'm not holding my breath!

My mom has been hoping for this same thing for YEARS. Every year, when the list of inductees comes out, I inevitably wind up hearing her rant about this very thing at some point :p.

But yeah, I agree, they had their own influence on the music world (Mike Nesmith played a role in laying the groundwork for MTV to become a thing), so that alone should be reason enough to induct them. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
22 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Nor Lionel Richie.  It's become a non-denominational music HOF.  

So be it I guess.

As someone who is rock and rock to roll to my core, this is why the whole place is now meaningless, lol.

• Love 11

How about combine everything together into the "America's Music Hall of Fame".  If you represent music important and popular in America, in any way, in any musical genre, Country, Rap, Jazz, Rock, Latino, whatever, you're in.  Even if you have a group that's made up of individuals from other countries, if you've made it on the American charts, you're good.  You don't have to be made in America, but this country will recognize your excellence and contribution to our country's culture. 

ABBA would be the first one's on the list....*LOL*

• Love 7
On 5/5/2022 at 10:07 PM, Blergh said:

I'm hoping somehow the Monkees will get in the Hall of Fame while Micky Dolenz is still with us but I'm not holding my breath!

I think there are rules you had to be making music for like 25 years to qualify???  Did the monkees stick around that long?

But I'm by no means a rock or rock hall expert. The extent of my knowledge on the the topic comes from the classic rock and classic rewind xm radio talk I hear about it 

33 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I think there are rules you had to be making music for like 25 years to qualify??? 

No the rule is you had to have released your first album at least 25 years ago. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
15 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

And the album doesn't have to have been successful. It just had to have been released. That's how Nirvana got in when they did and how Eminem qualifies this year. 

Really? I always thought it was how successful the album was.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Really? I always thought it was how successful the album was.

Ultimately the artists do need to be seen as successful and influential themselves, but the album itself only has to have been released 25 years ago to make them eligible. It doesn't have to be the one that made them famous or the one considered their best. And they don't have to have been active as a group for any mandatory length of time to meet the requirements. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

Ultimately the artists do need to be seen as successful and influential themselves, but the album itself only has to have been released 25 years ago to make them eligible. It doesn't have to be the one that made them famous or the one considered their best. And they don't have to have been active as a group for any mandatory length of time to meet the requirements. 

Exactly. Many artists have unsuccessful first albums so it can cause some confusion when they get in less than 25 years after the first success. For both Nirvana and Eminem there was confusion as Nevermind and The Real Slim Shady are their first albums in our minds but each released albums prior which is why they qualified when they did. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Success/talent isn’t solely measured in terms of money, though. Many of the most iconic, influential musicians/bands have sold very few records. That doesn’t make less any less worthy.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Many of the most iconic, influential musicians/bands have sold very few records. That doesn’t make less any less worthy.

Truth.  In fact, by the strict definition of the term, Jimi Hendrix is a one-hit wonder. (He only ever had the one single in the Top 40, "All Along the Watchtower", which peaked at #20.)  Yet I doubt anyone would consider him unsuccessful, untalented, and unworthy of the HOF.

• Love 19
On 5/4/2022 at 5:54 PM, Annber03 said:

The realization that Eminem has been around that long and is now eligible to be inducted makes me feel REALLY old...

As I, too, remember when he was a young whipper-snapper who just hit triple platinum doing 50 a week I can relate to this so, so much.

On 5/4/2022 at 10:23 PM, Cinnabon said:

Exactly. And Eminem isn’t rock music, either.

To be fair, I don't know how well it did where you are but here in Toronto, "Lose Yourself" actually hit No. 2 on the local rock station. Em's also had a few songs that are kind of rock-ish too, like "Sing for the Moment" (which sampled Aerosmith and featured Joe Perry on guitar) Take that for what it's worth.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

As I, too, remember when he was a young whipper-snapper who just hit triple platinum doing 50 a week I can relate to this so, so much.

I still very clearly remember when I first saw the "My Name Is" video. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I still very clearly remember when I first saw the "My Name Is" video. 

Me too. Thought he was going to be just a novelty...25 years later...

By the way, you didn't catch the reference to another classic from that time period in my post, did you?

• Love 1
On 5/5/2022 at 2:28 PM, Cinnabon said:

And the MC5 are still not in it, and they were some of the OG pioneers of rock music.

Not to mention Connie Francis, who should have gotten in long ago.

• Love 6

Bill Murray Breaks Silence on Misconduct Allegations

His comment is long and rambling, but it sounds like he was joking around and his co-star didn't find it funny and he's approached her and they are talking.  He's working on learning from the experience and she's working on trusting him again.  If that can't happen, he's willing to take the punishment for what he did because it's about her and how she feels about what happened.*

*I don't know the details, so I'm assuming it's a female costar. 

• Useful 8
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

Bill Murray Breaks Silence on Misconduct Allegations

His comment is long and rambling, but it sounds like he was joking around and his co-star didn't find it funny and he's approached her and they are talking.  He's working on learning from the experience and she's working on trusting him again.  If that can't happen, he's willing to take the punishment for what he did because it's about her and how she feels about what happened.*

*I don't know the details, so I'm assuming it's a female costar. 

This needs to be said over and over again.  When it comes to sexual harassment or even what some people might think is harmless flirting it is not about the person's intent. It is about how it makes the other person feel.  Intent vs Impact.  Maybe Bill Murray has a history of doing and saying things that other people have not had a problem with but this particular person did have a problem with it.  If he is willing to learn then good for him. 

• Love 23
5 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Maybe Bill Murray has a history of doing and saying things that other people have not had a problem with but this particular person did have a problem with it.  If he is willing to learn then good for him. 

Bill Murray has a history of the opposite but has gotten away with it because he's Bill Murray.

I'm torn. I think it's good that he's not trying to be overly defensive but I also feel like it might be kind of...manipulative?

For one, I would be surprised to learn that they shut down the set without trying to warn him first. Usually, if a production hopes the issue can be corrected, they go that route first unless it's very very bad. 

If that's the case, it took shutting it down for him to realize that they're serious about not allowing him to do it.

Second, putting this out there in public that he's remorseful and they're trying to work it out feels like it's putting the onus on the coworker to be "okay" with him again. 

I hope he's serious and they can work it out but I also have a healthy dose of skepticism.

• Useful 2
  • Love 21
56 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm torn. I think it's good that he's not trying to be overly defensive but I also feel like it might be kind of...manipulative?

Given that he has a history of bad behaviour I do think this is a PR move more than actually being remorseful, or that it's more about being remorseful that he can't get away with it anymore. I'm a bit biased because I've always gotten a bit of a perv vibe from Billy Murray so I'm not prone to giving him the benefit of the doubt. I do hope he proves me wrong. It would be nice to see a life long creeper change his ways. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

This needs to be said over and over again.  When it comes to sexual harassment or even what some people might think is harmless flirting it is not about the person's intent. It is about how it makes the other person feel.  Intent vs Impact.  Maybe Bill Murray has a history of doing and saying things that other people have not had a problem with but this particular person did have a problem with it.  If he is willing to learn then good for him. 

That’s why education and training in the workplace is important.

That being said, there is a line between joking and offending someone and that line, in my opinion is that people are more easily offended about comments than they were years ago.

I don’t mean offensive and clearly abusive comments. 
I am very sarcastic and some people take me seriously. It happens a lot more know than it did years ago.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

That being said, there is a line between joking and offending someone and that line, in my opinion is that people are more easily offended about comments than they were years ago.

Are they more easily offended or are they more empowered to voice their offense? 

3 minutes ago, Dani said:

Are they more easily offended or are they more empowered to voice their offensive? 

I think it is both. Thank goodness people are more empowered these days. In the 80s I worked for a company with a bunch of good old boys. I put up with a lot of crap that wouldn’t fly these days. 
I think most people are more empowered and quite a few are more easily offended. Thus, in a work environment, err on the side a caution.

• Love 11