Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

I watched Ali Wong's latest comedy special, "Don Wong", which I felt was major step down from the totally brilliant "Hard Knock Wife".  In it, she talks about how she wants to cheat on her husband, monogamy is terrible, she hates marriage, he sucks, she resents him, blah blah blah.  It wasn't at all relatable or funny to me, in fact, I kinda hated it.  Anyways they just announced the divorce 💀

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

After initially announcing her engagement last week on her private newsletter, On the JLo, Lopez shared even more details in another letter on Tuesday. “Saturday night while at my favorite place on earth (in the bubble bath), my beautiful love got on one knee and proposed.” I’m going to stop it right there. J.Lo famously loves a good bath. In March, she shared her bathtime routine with her followers, including a video taken by Academy Award winner Affleck. So in theory, it’s nice that he proposed somewhere so special to her. But while proposing in what I presume to be the nicest of their 17 bathrooms sounds sweet in this context, it’s still … a bathroom.

“I was taken totally off guard and just looked in his eyes smiling and crying at the same time,” Lopez continued. “I was quite literally speechless and he said, ‘Is that a yes?’ I said, ‘YES of course that’s a YES.’” 

https://www.thecut.com/2022/04/ben-affleck-proposed-while-jennifer-lopez-was-in-the-bath.html

Still preferable to a flash mob but, as much as I love baths, this doesn't really feel like it'll be a romantic memory.

• Love 4

I was an assistant editor on the Kardashian Jenner Official Apps, and I didn’t make enough money to make it to work. [...] As an assistant editor, my yearly salary was $35,000—low and laughable in LA, especially considering my experience. [...] When the now-defunct apps launched in September 2015, featuring content I’d created over the previous five months, the Hollywood Reporter wrote that 600,000 people subscribed to Kylie Jenner’s app alone in the first two days. Insider estimated the apps would generate $32,000,000 from the $3 monthly subscriptions in a single year. I was shopping for groceries at the 99 Cents Only Store.

[...] Kim Kardashian later told Good Morning America that her attitude in the Variety interview was affected by an earlier question about being famous only for being famous. “It wasn’t a blanket statement towards women,” she said. “It was taken out of context, but I’m really sorry if it was received that way.” (A Variety editor responded that the context was Kardashian being asked for “her best advice to women in business.”) 

When I read Kardashian’s original quote about women not working hard, I thought of the labor I put into launching the Kardashian Jenner Official Apps—days, nights, holidays, weekends, whenever and wherever I was needed. I wasn’t alone. I spoke to two former employees who worked on the apps and two former employees of KKW Beauty, Kim Kardashian’s cosmetics line, all of whom described an environment of overwork at the expense of their mental and sometimes physical health, as well as their career advancement.

I thought of the extra labor I put into stretching my salary. I thought of crying in my car because I wanted to get my fucking ass up, I wanted to be in that room, I wanted to climb the corporate ladder, whatever. I wanted to work. I just couldn’t afford to get there.

The gap between my work and my wages widened in late July, when it was announced that the editorial team would be separated by sister. Each app would have one senior editor and one assistant editor. Since there weren’t enough assistant-level employees to go around, I was assigned to both Khloé’s and Kendall’s apps and reported to two separate senior editors—I was the only member of the team expected to churn out the work of two people for the price of one. 

My frustration was matched only by my determination. I threw myself into the work to show my supervisors that I deserved more—a raise, a title change, anything. I suppose you could say my effort was recognized: I was soon voted Employee of the Week. I still have my colleagues’ nominations, scribbled anonymously on scraps of notebook paper.

[...] I was awarded a free sample of Crème de la Mer. If only I could pay my landlord in luxury skincare.

Pre-launch, the Kardashian-Jenner family hadn’t been particularly involved in the editorial aspect of day-to-day operations. (I was once dispatched to the premiere for the movie Paper Towns to get original quotes from Kendall and Kylie—for use in their own apps—and had to spar for sound bites with members of the general media.) Post-launch, the apps were updated with fresh content daily, which often required the sisters’ immediate input or approval, and most of them ramped up their involvement, primarily over email. 

“It was very much ‘their schedule is your schedule,’” Chan said. “One Christmas, Kanye had just given [Kim], like, a million gifts, and she wanted me to post all the gifts on Christmas Day. I had to get [an internet] hotspot. It was my Christmas also, but I was posting all day to her app.”

[...] “It never entered my mind to think about how much I was actually making hourly,” Lina said. “It would be impossible to calculate, because I worked all the time. I honestly don’t even want to know.”

Whalerock Industries is not owned or operated by the Kardashian-Jenner family; the sisters were likely unaware of what the people behind their apps were paid. However, according to two former employees of Kim Kardashian’s cosmetics brand KKW Beauty, which is currently closed in anticipation of a relaunch, the labor issues at the apps paralleled those at the Kardashian-owned operation.

[...] In 2018, Forbes reported that Kylie Jenner’s “near-billion-dollar empire consists of just seven full-time and five part-time employees,” noting that for the “ultralight” startup, “operation is essentially air.” In a 2020 interview with Grazia US, Kardashian revealed that “KKW Beauty and KKW Fragrance has a team of seven people… coming up with every campaign, our model shoots, our socials, our everything.”

[...] Employees were also expected to absorb responsibilities outside of their scope, the women said, without the requisite salary. Both Ellen and Theresa said that KKW Beauty relied on the labor of two unpaid interns as well.

“Here’s this millionaire—she wasn’t a billionaire yet—who flaunts her excessive wealth, but she only wants [a few] people on the team because she’s cheap,” Ellen observed. Unlike some startups, where early employees accept lower salaries but earn shares through sweat equity, Ellen says she didn’t get any equity for her contributions to the brand.

hat the prestige of working on the Kardashian-Jenner apps was somehow worth more than money or time or personal pleasure was an idea that permeated Whalerock, as well. But I still needed actual, literal money. 

So I side-hustled. [...] When Whalerock caught wind of it, I was called into a manager’s office and reprimanded. Freelancing apparently violated a company rule restricting the outside writing projects employees could pursue. (Hustling your way to greater success, it seemed, was for the already rich, not those who worked for them.) While Whalerock allowed me to continue writing lists for Ranker, future freelance assignments would require their approval, they said. I stopped pursuing new freelance clients.

I set my sights on a raise. I walked into my one-year employee review clutching freshly printed pages of statistics and charts quantifying my accomplishments, along with analytics of the national median salary for my job title and experience level. I asked for a yearly salary of $50,000. I was told, “No one in the industry is making that much. Don’t get your hopes up.” 

I continued to advocate for myself and was eventually granted a pay increase—$42,000 a year, from what I remember—but it was too little money for too many hours and too much stress, so I applied to a few job openings. Soon after, I was called into a manager’s office yet again. One of her former colleagues had received my resumé and alerted the company to my application.

“My friend saw your name pop up and said, ‘I thought Jessica was your girl,’” she told me. “Well, I thought so, too. What’s going on?” 

I was shocked to the point of silence. I think I apologized for applying elsewhere. The company seemed to be surveilling all possible paths to a liveable income, from freelancing to finding a new job. I felt manipulated and monitored, paranoid and trapped. 

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvnky4/i-worked-my-ass-off-for-kim-kardashian-jenner-apps-i-couldnt-afford-gas-jessica-defino

tl;dr The Kardashians hire small teams of people to keep their costs low, barely paying them a living wage and pushing them to be constantly available as well as taking on additional responsibilities to compensate for the lack of employees. Whalerock (which worked on their apps) also discouraged taking on other freelance jobs or applying elsewhere while refusing to raise salaries.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

A

4 hours ago, aradia22 said:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvnky4/i-worked-my-ass-off-for-kim-kardashian-jenner-apps-i-couldnt-afford-gas-jessica-defino

tl;dr The Kardashians hire small teams of people to keep their costs low, barely paying them a living wage and pushing them to be constantly available as well as taking on additional responsibilities to compensate for the lack of employees. Whalerock (which worked on their apps) also discouraged taking on other freelance jobs or applying elsewhere while refusing to raise salaries.

Giving them what little benefit of the doubt I can muster, at best it means that the Kardashians are willfully ignorant of the wages they've been paying their employment- and at worst are oblivious as long as THEY are on easy street. IMO, they've always had that somewhat mean but vapid vibe of Cinderella's Stepsisters.

P.S. The above applies to the legal adult offspring of Ms. Kris Jenner but NOT Ms. Jenner herself who, let's not forget has been SO greedy and exploitative re her OWN offspring that she did all she could to profiteer from one of her daughters' sex tapes rather than attempted to shut it down and read all who participated the Riot Act. Hence if she's SO greedy that she would treat her OWN progeny that way, I don't believe for a Rodeo Drive minute that she doesn't know (if not hasn't personally mandated) that  their employees are being paid almost literal slave wages despite the many millions $$ her family has reaped from their not-entirely-tasteful gains. IMO, she's always  had that shrewd, evil and calculatingly exploitative  vibe of Cinderella's Wicked Stepmother (AKA Lady Tremaine).

P.P.S. I also wouldn't be surprised if her daughter Kim who recently made a Marie Antoinette-type statements about working women has been above dissing her own employees to their faces with her nose in the air in the same way! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 8

So all their social media "success" is someone else posting?   For below minimum wage?   All their "business success" is someone else working their ass for them?    In other words everything about this family is fake from their faces to their asses to their businesses.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

P.S. The above applies to the legal adult offspring of Ms. Kris Jenner but NOT Ms. Jenner herself who, let's not forget has been SO greedy and exploitative re her OWN offspring that she did all she could to profiteer from one of her daughters' sex tapes rather than attempted to shut it down and read all who participated the Riot Act.

I've been doing a rewatch of Scandal and last night I watched the episode where the President's daughter was unknowingly filmed while having sex.  Olivia, the President's mistress and political fixer, did whatever was necessary to prevent that tape from seeing the light of day.  And she wasn't even the parent.

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

P.P.S. I also wouldn't be surprised if her daughter Kim who recently made a Marie Antoinette-type statements about working women has been above dissing her own employees to their faces with her nose in the air in the same way! 

I do believe Kim thinks her success has been the result of hard work and determination.  But I guess we know it just wasn't her hard work and determination.  

• Love 12
12 hours ago, Zella said:

That is what really shocked me is how bad it looked when she was walking. Like, I know nothing about clothes, but I am pretty sure it is not supposed to look like that. 

I wasn't impressed either. It looked like a high school home ec sewing project. I expected better.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Giving the benefit of the doubt to Kim Kardashian?  It's been in the news and all over social media forever that they underpay their employees.  If everyone knows about it, then the people in charge certainly know about it.  She's 41!  I keep seeing this sentiment again and again that she's too dumb to know anything.  I completely disagree, I think she knows exactly what she is doing in every aspect.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 20
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I watched Ali Wong's latest comedy special, "Don Wong", which I felt was major step down from the totally brilliant "Hard Knock Wife".  In it, she talks about how she wants to cheat on her husband, monogamy is terrible, she hates marriage, he sucks, she resents him, blah blah blah.  It wasn't at all relatable or funny to me, in fact, I kinda hated it.  Anyways they just announced the divorce 💀

Her latest was awful! Such a downgrade from the first two. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Her latest was awful! Such a downgrade from the first two. 

Yeah, I wonder if in retrospect she feels happy with that special or not.  Half the people who watched it seemed to find some of it "funny" but the other half was like us.  I felt miserable watching it.  I can't relate to a woman screaming about how she hates her husband for 2 hours.  Do you expect me to sympathize with this, understand this?  It seems like unfortunately, divorce might be the right step. It's sad because they have two young kids.  She even talked about fantasizing about having sex with certain people and blah blah blah.  (It's on Netflix if people are curious).

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
On 4/11/2022 at 7:10 PM, aradia22 said:

I don't think it's that bad but a minimalist dress with a lace-edged cathedral veil and lace gloves is a choice and the dress certainly looks unintentionally cheap.

https://www.gawker.com/celebrity/nicola-peltzs-wedding-dress-looked-like-shit

I don't know how to post photos here... however, when I saw what Posh wore (Victoria Beckham), the silvery, satiny, lace-embossed 'slip' of a dress, I swear I used to own a nightgown EXACTLY like that. Many, many moons ago, when I had the body to wear satin and silk (now I wear flannel and fleece)!

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I don't know how to post photos here... however, when I saw what Posh wore (Victoria Beckham), the silvery, satiny, lace-embossed 'slip' of a dress, I swear I used to own a nightgown EXACTLY like that. Many, many moons ago, when I had the body to wear satin and silk (now I wear flannel and fleece)!

It absolutely looked like a nightgown to me.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, LegalParrot81 said:

Welp, it appears they are going to be giving day by day updates on the pregnancy and on Ben/Jlo  🥱🤢.  The only good thing about that is....maybe the Kartrashian's will be placed on hiatus.  🤞

I feel like I've stepped into a time machine....

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

"Mr. & Mrs. Peltz Beckham." This has, understandably, led fans to assume the aspiring chef is taking his wife's name. Sources told The Sun Beckham intends to take Peltz alongside his current middle name, Joseph, as a further show of his lifelong commitment to their relationship

Wouldn’t taking his wife’s name mean they were going to be Mr. & Mrs. Peltz? 

44 minutes ago, Dani said:

Wouldn’t taking his wife’s name mean they were going to be Mr. & Mrs. Peltz? 

Sounds like it means he’s changing his name to have his wife’s name as a second middle name, not a last name.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

Sounds like it means he’s changing his name to have his wife’s name as a second middle name, not a last name.

I’d consider their instagram name change and posts more accurate than “sources”. They are both using Peltz Beckham. Including a middle name in the Mr. & Mrs. Blank announcement would be bizarre.

But a headline about both of them deciding to change their name has a completely different implication than just saying he is taking her name. 

1 hour ago, GaT said:

Spongebob Squarepants Ngapa GIF by The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge On The Run

Edited by Guest
41 minutes ago, Dani said:

But a headline about both of them deciding to change their name has a completely different implication than just saying he is taking her name. 

Yeah, it's sad.  It seems they've both decided to combine their two surnames and each use that as their new, shared, name, but, while her changing her last name to his wouldn't have even registered with the media, him taking just that half step is somehow reported as a big deal, and incorrectly described as him taking her name.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, it's sad.  It seems they've both decided to combine their two surnames and each use that as their new, shared, name, but, while her changing her last name to his wouldn't have even registered with the media, him taking just that half step is somehow reported as a big deal, and incorrectly described as him taking her name.

I wonder if Brooklyn might have been inspired by the late John Lennon who legally changed his name from John Winston Lennon to John Ono Lennon when he married his 2nd wife Yoko Ono (who did NOT change her surname to 'Lennon' or add it). 

• Love 1

Speaking of Brits pregnancy, as someone who just went through an over-35/“geriatric” pregnancy, I am so nervous for her announcing this early. The first trimester is so tricky, but the risks are even higher for us. I am hoping for a safe and healthy pregnancy.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I love her dress.  I love the 90s slip dress look.  

I don't mind her dress but isn't it really long?  In the picture she's lifting it up a little and its still dragging on the floor.  

• Love 5
On 4/11/2022 at 7:37 PM, Prairie Rose said:

I think Misters Brennan and Moore are right - personally, I've always found character actors much more interesting than the "stars"!!!

I agree. If I chose to go into acting, I'd rather be a character actor. They seem to get the most interesting roles. 

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Dani said:

I’d consider their instagram name change and posts more accurate than “sources”. They are both using Peltz Beckham. Including a middle name in the Mr. & Mrs. Blank announcement would be bizarre.

However they decide to present their names is irrelevant to what they may or may not have legally changed it to. I can walk in somewhere and announce my name is Princess Consuella Bananahammock and people would accept that as my name (although they’d also probably think I was insane).

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

However they decide to present their names is irrelevant to what they may or may not have legally changed it to. I can walk in somewhere and announce my name is Princess Consuella Bananahammock and people would accept that as my name (although they’d also probably think I was insane).

@kariyaki we all know your name is Phoebe Buffay.

• LOL 16
47 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Sure, but neither the “sources” or Instagram posts tell us anything about what they have decided legally so I still consider what they have posted to be more accurate. To me, a persons legal name is largely irrelevant unless I have to deal with them in a legal capacity.

Saying that he took her name is a sexist spin either way. 

14 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

More Beckham/Peltz wedding dress photos. 

"Mr. & Mrs. Peltz Beckham." This has, understandably, led fans to assume the aspiring chef is taking his wife's name. Sources told The Sun Beckham intends to take Peltz alongside his current middle name, Joseph, as a further show of his lifelong commitment to their relationship.

brooklyn-beckham-nicola-peltz-wedding

guest photos

Posh's dress:

Screenshot (895).png

That's a beautiful nightgown.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I don't know if it was updated after the link was posted, but that page indicates that it was satirical.

Yes, it must have been updated after, because there wasn't anything there when I read it.

I agree. If I chose to go into acting, I'd rather be a character actor. They seem to get the most interesting roles. 

Sometimes. But a lot of actors end up playing "the best friend" or "the sidekick" or someone's boss. 

The alleged fight leading to Thandie being replaced might not be true. But if it is, it'd be hilarious because she was a cast member on The Slap.

• LOL 2

Wow, what a surprise - one tabloid having to retract a story they lifted from another tabloid.  And, another surprise, they're still getting it wrong, claiming representatives for both actors haven't responded.  Maybe not to Page Six's dumb ass, but, yes, her reps have.  When I went looking for actual journalism when this wacky story was posted, her rep had already (before Page Six published its nevermind piece) stated the story of her firing was "completely inaccurate" and she'd left to deal with "family matters", which is what the studio had also stated as the reason for re-casting the role.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

When I went looking for actual journalism when this wacky story was posted, her rep had already (before Page Six published its nevermind piece) stated the story of her firing was "completely inaccurate" and she'd left to deal with "family matters", which is what the studio had also stated as the reason for re-casting the role.

It'[s not like the studio was going to admit that she was fired (if she was)for not getting along with the leading man. It looks bad especially since she already has not the best reputation.  Her arguing and him saying that he wouldn't work with her (if true) doesn't do them any favors. All the studio cares about is that can affect/effect the bottom line which is all they care about. 

Me I don't care either way because I have no plans of watching the movie or anything either one of them is in.

• Love 5
On 4/13/2022 at 6:11 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Posh's dress:

Screenshot (895).png

I had to look at this for a long time, because I knew there was something about Posh's face that REALLY reminded me of someone else. I couldn't place it. And then it came to me. Her facial expressions look exactly like Charlene of Monaco's do whenever she is around her husband. At least to me.

On 4/13/2022 at 9:11 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

More Beckham/Peltz wedding dress photos. 

"Mr. & Mrs. Peltz Beckham." This has, understandably, led fans to assume the aspiring chef is taking his wife's name. Sources told The Sun Beckham intends to take Peltz alongside his current middle name, Joseph, as a further show of his lifelong commitment to their relationship.

brooklyn-beckham-nicola-peltz-wedding

guest photos

Posh's dress:

Screenshot (895).png

Every time I see this photo, I wonder WHY is the dress SO long that she has to pull it up to walk? Seriously? Is this a new trend?

I really dislike any 'fad' that is silly (unpractical) - like not being able to walk FFS.

• Love 11

Thursday afternoon, fashion writer Louis Pisano tweeted, “Rihanna & ASAP Rocky have split. Rihanna broke up with him after she caught him cheating with shoe designer Amina Muaddi.” 

[...] Making rumors even rumor-ier, gossip account Deux Moi recently posted a blind item about Rihanna and A$AP Rocky having an argument during dinner at Craig’s in Los Angeles. The post alleges that they “cried at the table,” though that is the extent of the details provided.

https://www.thecut.com/2022/04/rihanna-asap-rocky-break-up-rumors.html

• Useful 1
15 minutes ago, katie9918 said:

Twitter has reached the end of its shelf life. Time to nuke it and salt the earth to make sure it never rises again.

It's not Twitter, necessarily.  Those rumors can pop up anywhere.  Instagram (Deux Moi), Tik Tok, Reddit....etc. I think even LiveJournal still has Oh No They Didn't.

It's when other publications start picking up Twitter rumors. 

Although I do have to say, that denial was a pretty vague denial. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1