Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E13: James' Big Cannoli

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

49 minutes ago, Pop Tart said:

Rachel looked really pretty and was funny and charming. It made me realize I do really like her most of the time, even when she's being explicit, because she really does not take herself too seriously and has a genuine sense of humor about her own choices, decisions, etc. She also seems to be pretty professional when it comes to job matters

I thought she looked really pretty too. Yes she has a potty mouth, and except for one time when she lost it with production/guests being over the top ridiculous, she delivered great food and was professional with guests.

I think we saw Captain Lee sharing the table more often with guests with her as the chef. He actually seemed to enjoy himself with the last charter.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 14

I am surprised no-one has mentioned Rachel's stint on America's Top Model ! I wonder how many other reality shows she has been o?

Also rule number 1 when working in food or food service is that if you have any sickness or diarrhoea - you do not set foot in the establishment until a few days after your symptoms have cleared up ! It is a strict health breach if you do - so to see her still cooking with such a diagnosis is very wrong !  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, KLJ said:

I don't recall seeing previous seasons with Eddie, but it's really nice to have a competent bosun.  I feel like they consistently hire fuck-ups.  He appears to know his shit and knows how to handle his crew as well.  There's the added bonus that I think he's also nice to look at too!

He is from Baltimore, works on the tugs in Fells Point if I remember correctly.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Random thoughts:

Liz is there to try to look pretty on TV.  And she might have succeeded...at 23.  At 30, it's sad.  She should be competent at act like an adult. 

Liz wouldn't be banging James if he wasn't a dick to her.

There's such a low energy vibe from Rob.

Having a cleanup all day in the sun when crew members are sick is the worst possible idea.  Unless, they make it look like all day but it was really half an hour for the cameras.  

Ash needs to be featured more.  She's charming and hot as hell.  And, if she can have a crush on that dumpy guest, she'd kerploosh herself over me.  

17 hours ago, blixie said:

I don't get what's wrong with Ashling, "food related" isn't a diagnoses, though stomach issues can be hard to diagnose.

I think the doctor is just there to write scripts.  Like a "doctor" at a pharmacy in Tijuana.   

Edited by Jack Sampson
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, AryasMum said:

Elizabeth most likely got the UTI from James. It’s somewhat common for this to happen to women, especially when it’s sex with a new peartner. Liz seems the type who’s too lazy to get up and pee and clean up when it’s over. 

I have (unfortunately) had a lot of experience with UTIs, and you don't "catch it" from your partner. It's more that when you're new with someone, the sex tends to be more frequent, and perhaps "vigorous," leading to more opportunities to get some of your own germs where they don't belong. I totally agree though with the second sentence though. Getting up to pee is critical!

Enough with the medical lesson LOL. James is a jerk and seems to not give a damn whether he looks like a jerk. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
11 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I have (unfortunately) had a lot of experience with UTIs, and you don't "catch it" from your partner. It's more that when you're new with someone, the sex tends to be more frequent, and perhaps "vigorous," leading to more opportunities to get some of your own germs where they don't belong. I totally agree though with the second sentence though. Getting up to pee is critical!

Enough with the medical lesson LOL. James is a jerk and seems to not give a damn whether he looks like a jerk. 

Sex in a hot tub will lead to a UTI, dirty water gets in the lady parts...so maybe they did the sex in the hot tub that night we saw them canoodling.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

I think the city talked the producers into it or no more filming in town after Rachels lovely “performance” with the reggae band.

Which sucks for the crew since Rachel went to the doctor and didn't have to help.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, aghst said:

That third guy Rob, his reaction doesn't seem typical of his character at all.  Maybe it's sexism as Izzy says.  Or Rob was told to object.

I could swear some crew members slept together recently in one of the guest cabins?  Was it on the last season of BD Med?

Elizabeth does deserve a lot of the criticisms but it looks like Francessa is looking for reasons to jettison her.  With most of the season done, why bother?  But it sounds like Lee is going to back her on getting rid of Elizabeth for sleeping in the cabin and Ashling is encouraging it, saying the two of them could cover.

With maybe a couple of charters left in the season, I guess they just can't let it go without some kind of drama.

I remember Jenna and Adam using the main guest cabin on Below Deck Sailing, and there have been a few other instances where the crew have used the guest cabins, but as far as I can remember, they always asked permission.  Well, except that Jenna and Adam didn't have to ask permission, because Jenna gave it to herself.

There was that one time that I remember when Kate gave Kyle permission to sleep (alone) in the main guest cabin, which then proceeded to turn into a party with some of the other crew  - I think Ben, Nico and someone else - and somehow, the super expensive fancy toilet got broken.  Kate and Captain Lee were extremely pissed about that.  

So, I can see where Francesca would be pissed - as she said - the stuff in that cabin is really expensive.  Plus, Elizabeth has supposedly worked on yachts for five years - she should know what the chain of command is and what she can and cannot do without permission.  

• Love 9
2 hours ago, AnnieBananie said:

The best part of the whole episode for me was knowing that Elizabeth has James saved into her phone as Eggplant Parmesan. 

An eagle-eyed tweeter managed to get a picture of it, if you missed it.

That explains a lot about both Elizabeth and James, if you ask me. 

I saw that she is Eggplant Parm.

When that boat docks in where ever James will not even know her name...he got what he wanted and Elizabeth will be trying to make their tryst in to something more, lots of tears will be shed over what could have been (in her head), James will find the next girl, rinse and repeat.  Why does Elizabeth not know this?

• Love 7

I didn’t appreciate Francesca shaming ONLY Elizabeth for sleeping in a guest cabin. Yes E is her direct report but she and Eddie should’ve sat their staff down together James is just as guilty of the infraction. James sucks but they’re both culpable. 

It was a total double standard and veiled slut shaming esp in front of another staffer. I said what I said. 

• Love 9
8 hours ago, 88Keys said:

Maybe bring in another chef so as to not take the chance of getting their guests sick?

-shrug-  Maybe.  They aren't exactly in Brooklyn, so I doubt it.

The main reason she was allowed back after her tantrum was because they were otherwise fucked. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I saw that she is Eggplant Parm.

When that boat docks in where ever James will not even know her name...he got what he wanted and Elizabeth will be trying to make their tryst in to something more, lots of tears will be shed over what could have been (in her head), James will find the next girl, rinse and repeat.  Why does Elizabeth not know this?

For the same reason that Jennise didn't know this about Kelly, Rocky didn't know this about Eddie, Briana didn't know this about Nico, Jenna didn't know this about Adam, Hannah didn't know this about Conrad, Simone didn't know this about what's his name and Amber didn't know this about Rob. I may have forgotten someone. Stupid women who allow themselves to be used by these men who are just looking for a hookup. You would think by now they would have caught on. The boat romance ends as soon as they depart the boat. 

• Love 10

I actually saw Rachel using gloves in part of her food preparation - they were blue. Not observant enough to pay attention when she didn’t have them on obviously. 

Rachel and Capt Lee both said that the crew signs a contract specifically forbidding sleeping in a guest cabin without permission. It is obviously something both parties would have known - and he is the one who initiated it (and of course it wasn’t the first time - just the first time they got caught). 

elizabeth is an idiot and hasn’t improved. She continuously has to be reminded about laundry, hair - i can’t blame Francesca for being frustrated. 

• Love 11
On 1/26/2021 at 9:59 AM, KLJ said:

I thought the same thing.  The doctor was already coming, you're not a martyr for not seeing a doc.  I hate that we expect people to push through when they are legitimately sick.  

I was so grossed out watching her cook and plate the food.  I wonder what the guests thought after watching the episode.  How do you NOT wear gloves when you have the shits?  She said on WWHL that she was worried that it was food poisoning because you can actually spread that.  First, I had no idea that food poisoning was contagious!  And second, why wouldn't you wear a mask or gloves just to be sure??!!!  

Liz's UTI sure did seem to disappear once James wanted to bang again.  She is an idiot and James is a jerk.  They deserve each other.

There had to have been some virus or bacteria being passed around with the girls right?  First, Izzy, then Rachel and Liz and then Ash?  It feels like we haven't seen this many people from one boat get sick in one season.

I really like Francesca.  She's a nice refreshing change from Kate and her frowns.  Francesca is a hard worker and (seemingly) busts her ass.  I don't blame her for having issues with Liz.  

I don't recall seeing previous seasons with Eddie, but it's really nice to have a competent bosun.  I feel like they consistently hire fuck-ups.  He appears to know his shit and knows how to handle his crew as well.  There's the added bonus that I think he's also nice to look at too!

I agree you have wonder what is going  on with so many crew not well.  They should have taken the time allotted to beach cleanup to do some major disinfecting of all the crew quarters and common areas that they use imo.

Edited by endure
  • Love 5

A comment on Rachel and wearing gloves:  I remember hearing a chef saying that you're more likely to spread contaminates with gloves on because with gloves you don't feel the need to wash your hands. You're actually less likely to spread things with frequently washed bare hands. If you're still touching your face or nose with gloves on, it's not helping.

I like to have a sink full of hot soapy water if my hands are in food so I can clean them frequently.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10

I’m not trying to defend Liz, but during that last breakfast Ashling was also serving with her hair down. We weren’t shown Francesca saying anything to her. 

I don’t know what it is about Francesca but I just don’t care for her. She makes me feel like I’m watching a bad actress.

• Love 5

What a miserable bunch of jealous backstabbers.

And AGAIN, it is Izzy and Ashling running their mouth and spreading "shit" over to Francesca who will get all over Elizabeth and James.

On the other hand, Elizabeth, sorry to say so, is not really intelligent for sleeping in a guest room without asking. They have done it once before and gotten away with it. Really dumb from her knowing Francesca is out there to get her fired. And then on top of it, she is bragging about it herself instead of keeping her stupid mouth shut (same as James). YOU NEVER TELL!!! NEVER!

In my eyes, the biggest bullshit is the promotion of Izzy the jealous backstabber , but this is 101% a producers trick to create some gender shit with the guys. Why would you promote Izzy when she is the person with the less experience over the two guys? 

Same happened with Malia (who slept her way up, but that is no sexual harassment, because she got a higher position), and we all know what a backstabbing horrible person she is. Trust me, Izzy is worse.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, 65mickey said:

For the same reason that Jennise didn't know this about Kelly, Rocky didn't know this about Eddie, Briana didn't know this about Nico, Jenna didn't know this about Adam, Hannah didn't know this about Conrad, Simone didn't know this about what's his name and Amber didn't know this about Rob. I may have forgotten someone. Stupid women who allow themselves to be used by these men who are just looking for a hookup. You would think by now they would have caught on. The boat romance ends as soon as they depart the boat. 

You think a woman does never has a urge for sex without strings? come on now? 

A beautiful boat, beautiful people, beautiful beaches, some alcohol, some sexy music.....and the panties go off..........ALWAYS,...it is nature

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Elizabeth is such an idiot. On the morning the guests are leaving, but before they've left, she suggests that maybe she should "clean the guest rooms'????? On what planet does that make sense?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

but of all the captains on Below Deck and it’s spin offs... he’s the one that would keep you safest in a disaster situation.

Not lessening what you're saying about Captain Lee at all, but I don't feel like Captain Glenn (Sailing Yacht) would be somehow less capable in a disaster situation than Lee.

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Milan said:

A beautiful boat, beautiful people, beautiful beaches, some alcohol, some sexy music.....and the panties go off..........ALWAYS,...it is nature

I think there is some science behind women getting attached to sexual partners, even if they think it's casual. Women can definitely like sex without strings but have to be honest with themselves at what it is. I don't like the idea that we are somehow "used." It can also go the other way as when you think you had a casual hook up and the guy thinks you're now a couple.

The idea of a little fun while on a beautiful boat would appeal to me, even just as stress relief.

• Love 5

those guests seemed perfectly nice, but man they were boring. Nothing remotely interesting happened with them. Guess that's why they try to book EXTRA people.

The dog was darn cute though. But after his "miss" on the deck, no way would he be sleeping on my pillow.

3 hours ago, Milan said:

Sure, but that does not seem like what Elizabeth is after.  She seems to be trying to put strings on James and being all hurt when he doesn't want something more.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

those guests seemed perfectly nice, but man they were boring. Nothing remotely interesting happened with them. Guess that's why they try to book EXTRA people.

The dog was darn cute though. But after his "miss" on the deck, no way would he be sleeping on my pillow.

Speaking of Gigi’s miss on deck, I love how they cut from Gigi’s poop to a female guest telling Francesca “It taste good” and back to Gigi.

• LOL 2
On 1/26/2021 at 7:43 AM, NowVoyager said:

I always giggle when Rachel goes to talk to the guests. She knows how to present herself well;  they have no idea how filthy her mouth is, that she's a mean drunk & has the shits. Her food always looks awesome though. & She talked about being on America's Next Top Model. Somebody mentioned it here before & I thought they were kidding.

Soo... James acts cold to Elizabeth. Her response is to confront Ashling, bring him a cannoli when she should be working & have a booty call in a dirty passenger cabin w/ a UTI. Ew.

13 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Hmm, I don’t see them necessarily as stupid. In a fair number of just the above citations, the men involved did a great job of saying a whole lot of the “right things”, or twisting things to make them seem like the honest, innocent, injured party, while their true behavior and feelings eventually oozed their way out from under their veneer of civilization. Adam in particular stands out as such. In other cases (including within the above citations), there was a lack of good communication which happens anywhere. I can only imagine the concentrated cesspool of emotions tossed with exhaustion, labor, sun, etc. I am in no wise disclaiming the part the women had to play or saying that stupid hasn’t happened. Lots of wince-worthy scenes among just about everybody.

5 hours ago, Milan said:

1 hour ago, 88Keys said:

Sure, but that does not seem like what Elizabeth is after.  She seems to be trying to put strings on James and being all hurt when he doesn't want something more.  

James of the “I want to go to that wedding” statement, which constitutes making plans for after-boat, that James? 
Yeah, he wants to get laid. He also has been trotting out all the things he thinks he needs to say to get it. Then, oops, he’s believed!

Better dial it back, deliberately do things you know are a bit low, act all innocent and tell Elizabeth that what she’s hearing, seeing, and sensing are wrong, and since you’ve already hooked her, she’s happy to come running back. (Which I do think was a dumb move on her part but is by no means unique to her.)

And I don’t even like Elizabeth; I can’t always tell if she’s genuinely puzzled or deliberately obtuse. It seems she learned how to use her looks to get by, which can be said to also be the fault of enablers throughout her life. 

• Love 4

None of women that I mentioned were just looking for a little sex. They all thought and expected that the guys that they were sharing a bed with were as into them as they were to the guys.  Jennise, Rocky, Hannah and Jenna all cried over the lack of commitment.  Hannah almost  had a nervous breakdown and took to her  bed. Amber went balistic over Rob's lack of attention. And Rocky, Amber and Brianna also know that Eddie, Rob and. Nico had girlfriends when they hooked up. I  guess Brianna and Simone handled it the best. Now Riley was the smart one. All she wanted was sex with no committment and she got what she wanted.   Maybe studid is too strong a word. How about not smart? 

• Love 4
On 1/26/2021 at 9:32 AM, aghst said:

I could swear some crew members slept together recently in one of the guest cabins?  Was it on the last season of BD Med?

They were given permission by Bugsy and Sandy as a “special thing”. Jenna and Adam also used a cabin which Glenn said on WWHL he didn’t know about and wasn’t okay with but at least Jenna was chief stew. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, 65mickey said:

None of women that I mentioned were just looking for a little sex. They all thought and expected that the guys that they were sharing a bed with were as into them as they were to the guys.  Jennise, Rocky, Hannah and Jenna all cried over the lack of commitment.  Hannah almost  had a nervous breakdown and took to her  bed. Amber went balistic over Rob's lack of attention. And Rocky, Amber and Brianna also know that Eddie, Rob and. Nico had girlfriends when they hooked up. I  guess Brianna and Simone handled it the best. Now Riley was the smart one. All she wanted was sex with no committment and she got what she wanted.   Maybe studid is too strong a word. How about not smart? 

I think many of these examples fit the James/Elizabeth model but some are different. Adam was very into Jenna; he just had (really frightening!) issues that affected the relationship. Plus those two did try to make the relationship work after the season ended. Also, I don't think that Conrad was just looking for a boat-mance. He seemed serious about Hannah for  a good part of the season. It was her behavior towards the end of the season, in general and towards him, that turned him off. 

I think the most appropriate word for the other women is naive.

• Love 7

I don’t remember Amber and Rob but Brianna and Jennise were pursued and especially in the case of sweet Jennise, pursued hard! They had good reason to think their relationship would extend beyond the season. Brianna was very clear she wanted to travel with Nico after the season ended. Nico was such a cowardly nugget of poo, he wooed his ex-girlfriend while still keeping his options open with Brianna (on camera!) leaving her without a traveling companion at the last minute. 
I think it’s a huge deal as a woman often doesn’t want to travel alone in third world countries. 

So Elizabeth is getting mixed messages and misinterpreting them to give James the benefit of the doubt. Early in the season I was liking James and his honest, vulnerable solo interviews but now I think he uses his honesty and vulnerabilities to stay dishonest and impenetrable. He reminds me a bit of a younger Jax.

Rachel, Rachel, Rachel! I like you, then I don’t like you, then I like you again. All the talent in the world won’t save you from being an ugly, divisive, discordant member of the crew. Good people won’t want to work with you, especially if they have to put up with that shit on their day off. I realized for some it’s not a huge issue but if you grew up with an unstable or alcoholic parent, this behavior is not acceptable nor easily forgiven. It’s a shame because she is such a HUGE talent!! 
I still don’t get her hard on for Elizabeth. Does E remind her of herself? Her little sister? Is Rachel this season’s Captain Sandy lusting after Malia? 
I get why Captain Lee has forgiven her, Rachel and Kate are good friends for many years. Kate is like a daughter to Captain Lee. So Rachel is his beloved daughter’s good friend who is going through a hard time (although I would phrase it that she has behavioral issues)
Plus Captain Lee has always cut the ladies a little more slack than the men. Or maybe it’s that he cuts interior a little more slack than deck crew. Or that if he sees you’re working hard, really hard, he’ll go to bat for you.

The girl needs to get hangovers! She needs to feel the pain of her excesses. She’s proud she doesn’t get hangovers but all I saw were huge 🚩 red flags 🚩 when she told us that.
But Rachel looked and acted beautifully ( great hair, makeup, Botox, etc) on WWHL. If she could maintain that persona she could fly higher than any Bravolebrity. I’m still rooting for her but...she’s going to have to figure a lot of stuff out before she can really succeed to the level of her talent.

Elizabeth is so freaking stupid that this far into the season, Francesca has to tell 30-year old Elizabeth, who has FIVE YEARS YACHTING EXPERIENCE, to check the laundry after coming off break (here’s a tip E, check it every time you walk anywhere near the laundry).
I just can’t with her “But I’m so pretty!” incompetence. 

Rob is an idiot if he thinks he’s performing to Izzy’s standards. Ah, the confidence and entitlement of the mediocre white male! He’s not entirely mediocre but he’s not the leader he thinks he is either. He should have immediately recognized the change in chain of command and told James to knock it off. Instead he followed James example (emphasis on “followed”) and they were both little bitches. Hey Rob, instead of complaining about it in your confessional, go talk to Eddie. 

• Love 9

I find it a little tacky that Francesca uses a pad of paper and pen to write down the guests' food orders right in front of them. I have never seen another stew, not even the worst of them, do that. And she's the chief stew! It makes her look like a diner waitress, not a high-end yacht server. No offense to diner waitresses, BTW. 

• Love 1
On 1/25/2021 at 9:31 PM, TexasGal said:

AH-mazing how quickly Elizabeth stopped whining about her UTI when she could have sex.  I know when I’ve had them, sex was the last thing I wanted to do.

Agreed, and actually you can get a UTI from vigorous sexual activity.  Secretions actual get pushed up through the urethra.  

• Love 1