Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E13: James' Big Cannoli

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

James plays games at Elizabeth’s expense, and Eddie presents Izzy with an interesting opportunity. The team rallies together for a beach cleanup, but warm and fuzzy feelings quickly diminish when Francesca finds out that subordinates slept in a guest cabin without permission.

Airdate: 01.25.2021

Ewh...last week UTIs, this week I'd rather not think about James' cannoli...

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

So at the 14 minute mark, I feel the need to say Rachel and James affect me. 

Rachel: Explosive diarrhea + Food service = you're going to infect the entire boat dipshit!!!!!!!! Wear some freakin gloves!!!

James: You are truly an asshole! 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
20 minutes ago, aqusdealer said:

Yeah, I’m over James and Rachel’s potty mouth was bad enough before having to hear her use it to describe, well, potty issues.  Ewh.  

And Elizabeth is just pathetic.  

• Love 12
48 minutes ago, aqusdealer said:

Rachel: Explosive diarrhea + Food service = you're going to infect the entire boat dipshit!!!!!!!! Wear some freakin gloves!!!

Yep.  How sanitary is it to have a chef who is sick?   Ugh.  
And no words for James.  

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

Yep.  How sanitary is it to have a chef who is sick?   Ugh.  
And no words for James.  

As long as you wash your hands. For both.

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 6
  • Love 9

I think this was the first time I thought Chess was over reacting, I feel like Lee forced her to keep a shitty stew, which has made her work double and triple time to cover, but then that makes her doing her actual job bad (the expediting issue). Like the guest cabin sex thing is for sure something we've seen go down on other seasons both with and without permission (like just this last season of Med with Rob and Jess) but it also seems obvious she would not have been as bothered IF Liz was remotely good at her job. And honestly as much as Liz sucks she's still probably better than being down a stew entirely for a whole charter.  And she does seem to be attributing to malice what is just pure stupidity/incompetence. I do believe LIZ thinks she's doing her best and trying to do better, and that she is sweet girl, but Francesca seems to feel like she can't go HAM on a mere bimbo, so she wants Liz to be a purposely undermining shrew. Having said all that I absolutely understand why she is at the end of her rope, and doesn't even care anymore and wants her gone. 

I also can't believe Rob was such an ass to Izzy, he wasn't here to take on more responsibility, like Eddie hoped, but he's mad she did? GTFO. It came off not only sexist but grossly classist when he belittled her promotion. 

I don't get what's wrong with Ashling, "food related" isn't a diagnoses, though stomach issues can be hard to diagnose. It seems weird that she and Rachel got sick at the same time but didn't both have the same thing. Seems likely they got the same parasite from the same food (possibly at that hotel, or even just from each other working in close quarters) and had the same thing: gastroenteritis. Anyway this season is turning into book five of GoT aka 1000 pages about the shits. 

Both said using a guest cabin without permission is an absolute no.

Eh I think Rachel sort of dodge the question Andy was actually asking which is not is it legitimately allowed, but "does it happen anyway and how often are people actually disciplined for it". They said it was expressly not allowed, but I thought he just asked if it was really that big deal?

Edited by blixie
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

Speaking of gloves I would think doing beach clean up might require them but nobody had any on that I saw 😬

• Love 18

While I was watching this episode, I was reminded of a working situation I was once in. We found after a month all the women's monthlies began to be synchronized and that meant we all had PMS 3 days before "P-Day" at the same time. Once a month we found our co-workers to be grating and annoying, while feeling sick and achy. We felt uncomfortable without knowing what was wrong. Sure enough, three days later we'd all start our periods and the cycle would begin again.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, blixie said:

I think this was the first time I thought Chess was over reacting, I feel like Lee forced her to keep a shitty stew, which has made her work double and triple time to cover, but then that makes her doing her actual job bad (the expediting issue). Like the guest cabin sex thing is for sure something we've seen go down on other seasons both with and without permission (like just this last season of Med with Rob and Jess) but it also seems obvious she would not have been as bothered IF Liz was remotely good at her job. And honestly as much as Liz sucks she's still probably better than being down a stew entirely for a whole charter.  And she does seem to be attributing to malice what is just pure stupidity/incompetence. I do believe LIZ thinks she's doing her best and trying to do better, and that she is sweet girl, but Francesca seems to feel like she can't go HAM on a mere bimbo, so she wants Liz to be a purposely undermining shrew. Having said all that I absolutely understand why she is at the end of her rope, and doesn't even care anymore and wants her gone. 

I also can't believe Rob was such an ass to Izzy, he wasn't here to take on more responsibility, like Eddie hoped, but he's mad she did? GTFO. It came off not only sexist but grossly classist when he belittled her promotion. 

I don't get what's wrong with Ashling, "food related" isn't a diagnoses, though stomach issues can be hard to diagnose. It seems weird that she and Rachel got sick at the same time but didn't both have the same thing. Seems likely they got the same parasite from the same food (possibly at that hotel, or even just from each other working in close quarters) and had the same thing: gastroenteritis. Anyway this season is turning into book five of GoT aka 1000 pages about the shits. 

Eh I think Rachel sort of dodge the question Andy was actually asking which is not is it legitimately allowed, but "does it happen anyway and how often are people actually disciplined for it". They said it was expressly not allowed, but I thought he just asked if it was really that big deal?

Good comments. I find Liz does an okay job especially in the laundry/rooms which is her job. We've seen worse. I was surprised to hear she was turning 30 because she doesn't act it. I feel bad saying this, but her voice annoys me.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, endure said:

Speaking of gloves I would think doing beach clean up might require them but nobody had any on that I saw 😬

I commented on that at home, saying (something like), "At least the kitchen should have some disposable gloves."

But wait, then Rachel might have decided to use some.

• Love 2

I'm liking Rob less. I've dealt with men being jerks when you get promoted. What was it James said? I need to spend time with Eddie? Jackhole, we don't sleep our way up.

At least we got to see more Ashling, but only because Liz is worried about James flirting with her. Their drama is boring.

• Love 13

I clocked James as a fuckboi from day one, but I had higher hopes for Rob.   Now that he's shown his petulance, I hope he goes the way of that dude who was edited out of last season's BDM.  Izzy may have been a bad stew, but she's aces on deck.  The only thing she suffers from is something a lot of women experience more acutely than men: imposter syndrome, even when they aren't actually an imposter.  I wish her the best. 

I wish Lee had let Fracesca fire Elizabeth.  She's terrible at her job, and even Rocky would have done better--she could iron and sing show tunes--and she's got a very ugly vibe.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, nokat said:

At least we got to see more Ashling, but only because Liz is worried about James flirting with her. Their drama is boring.

Their drama is fake.  

I loved how Ashling could not be more direct when Liz asked if she was interested in James, her answer was like "No, nope, never, not in a million years," I am surprised Liz was not insulted by her reaction, almost retching, laughing at the thought of being with James, lol.

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, endure said:

I am suspicious of the amount of trash they picked up, like some of those bags might have been props.  

Liz dresses in a tube top and a skirt to pick up trash, like it is her desperate cry to be the hotest one...just looked desparate.

No gloves on anyone for the beach clean up, does Dr. Williams come back to the ship to give everyone a tetnus shot?  Speaking of beach clean up, Capt. Lee tells the crew at the tip meeting how even though so many crew members had been sick, they soldiered thru and to reward them he volunteered all of them to clean up a beach?  So no recovery time for anyone, some of the crew could not be more than a few steps from a bathroom for the past few days, let's take them to a beach with no bathrooms?

Did Rachel have gastroenterites, that is highly contagious and yet she cooked for and even served the guests and never wore gloves when she was cooking.

Liz was barely past her UTI and has sex with James again.  James is not worth a UTI.

• LOL 2
  • Love 13

Once again, Liz had her hair down for dinner service. It's like she lacks the ability to retain direction. Francesca has to constantly remind her about the same things. Must be exhausting.

Oh, and fast disappearing UTI. Wanna bang?  Sure!

The boys reaction to Izzy's promotion was disappointing but not entirely surprisingly,  On WWHL, Captain Lee was not impressed.

Ashling was stupid for not seeing the Dr when she was on board. Instead, she spent another day suffering and then received muscle relaxants?  I hate people who are martyrs when sick and refuse to get treated,. They make everyone around miserable (and often sick as well). Drugs are good, take them.

• Love 21

Did Ashling say that the Dr. prescribed muscle relaxers for her gastric problem?  Wonder if her prescription was Diazepam generic for Valium?   So Rachel, Izzy, Liz and now Ashling and probably Captain Lee  are all on meds. Someone better alert Captain Sandy and bosun Malia quick!

• LOL 16
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, endure said:

Yup!!!  I kept yelling at my TV - "gloves, gloves, gloves!!!!" - that was crazy!  They could have gotten cut on broken glass or rusty metal!  I just didn't understand that!  

Loved that they did something good, though.  

• Love 10

James is a jerk, plain and simple.  Rob isn't far behind.  Izzy deserved her promotion, over lazy James and new kid Rob. I hope Eddie shuts them down next week. 

Liz is just as lazy and nasty as James. Having sex in a dirty guess cabin while recovering from a UTI, that he most likely gave her. Plus she can't seem to remember simple things,  like putting her hair up when serving food or not flirting while working. 

• Love 12
58 minutes ago, spunky said:

she can't seem to remember simple things,  like putting her hair up when serving food or not flirting while working. 

She's such an airhead.  How hard is it to follow some basic instructions? I couldn't believe they said she's going to be 30, she's very immature for her age.

• Love 14
11 hours ago, Pop Tart said:

Rachel and Captain Lee were on WWHL and Andy asked about the cabin situation. Both said using a guest cabin without permission is an absolute no. Oh and Captain Lee seems to be long past any issue with Rachel (who looked great and was pretty funny). Lee made clear that he knew Rachel’s “go f yourself” and other comments at that tip sheet meeting were aimed at the guests, not him.

Even feeling ill Rachel is still the best chef they’ve had.

I wish Andy would have talked to Rachel about drinking.  If she realized she acted this way when drunk and if she planned on curtailing drinking because of her behavior. 

9 hours ago, endure said:

I wash shocked to see they weren't wearing gloves.  That's pretty gross.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, njbchlover said:

Yup!!!  I kept yelling at my TV - "gloves, gloves, gloves!!!!" - that was crazy!  They could have gotten cut on broken glass or rusty metal!  I just didn't understand that!  

Loved that they did something good, though.  

I wear nitrile gloves under leather gloves in my own yard while gardening. Who knows what could have been on the beach. I've found needles and used condoms in our playground. Gross.

• Love 7

Bad idea for Captain Lee (or the show) to schedule beach clean up.  Don't you want your crew to be well-rested and, therefore, happy for the next charter?  Especially when a couple of them didn't feel well.

Elizabeth is just not smart.  I do believe she is trying her best, but she's not bright enough.  As someone else mentioned, she wasn't even a bit insulted when Ashling said she wasn't interested in James at all. 

Edited by Shauna
wrong word
  • Love 10
14 hours ago, PaperTree said:

Why promote Izzy to Lead Deckhand?  It's only going to be divisive.  Leave everybody equal.

I guess Bravo wanted the drama.

That third guy Rob, his reaction doesn't seem typical of his character at all.  Maybe it's sexism as Izzy says.  Or Rob was told to object.

I could swear some crew members slept together recently in one of the guest cabins?  Was it on the last season of BD Med?

Elizabeth does deserve a lot of the criticisms but it looks like Francessa is looking for reasons to jettison her.  With most of the season done, why bother?  But it sounds like Lee is going to back her on getting rid of Elizabeth for sleeping in the cabin and Ashling is encouraging it, saying the two of them could cover.

With maybe a couple of charters left in the season, I guess they just can't let it go without some kind of drama.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, sara1025 said:

Elizabeth drives me insane. She's constantly playing dumb (or is she really that dumb?). She keeps screwing up then is shocked when she gets in trouble for it.

I think AryasMum said it well above. Elizabeth is both lazy and a manipulator. Unfortunately there are many people like that.

If she would actually get her unmotivated ass to clean the room and wash sheets without making Ashling do it, then I'd be fine with her UTI tryst with James in a guest room.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, snarts said:

Ashling was stupid for not seeing the Dr when she was on board. Instead, she spent another day suffering and then received muscle relaxants?  I hate people who are martyrs when sick and refuse to get treated,. They make everyone around miserable (and often sick as well). Drugs are good, take them.

I thought the same thing.  The doctor was already coming, you're not a martyr for not seeing a doc.  I hate that we expect people to push through when they are legitimately sick.  

4 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Did Rachel have gastroenterites, that is highly contagious and yet she cooked for and even served the guests and never wore gloves when she was cooking.

I was so grossed out watching her cook and plate the food.  I wonder what the guests thought after watching the episode.  How do you NOT wear gloves when you have the shits?  She said on WWHL that she was worried that it was food poisoning because you can actually spread that.  First, I had no idea that food poisoning was contagious!  And second, why wouldn't you wear a mask or gloves just to be sure??!!!  

Liz's UTI sure did seem to disappear once James wanted to bang again.  She is an idiot and James is a jerk.  They deserve each other.

There had to have been some virus or bacteria being passed around with the girls right?  First, Izzy, then Rachel and Liz and then Ash?  It feels like we haven't seen this many people from one boat get sick in one season.

I really like Francesca.  She's a nice refreshing change from Kate and her frowns.  Francesca is a hard worker and (seemingly) busts her ass.  I don't blame her for having issues with Liz.  

I don't recall seeing previous seasons with Eddie, but it's really nice to have a competent bosun.  I feel like they consistently hire fuck-ups.  He appears to know his shit and knows how to handle his crew as well.  There's the added bonus that I think he's also nice to look at too!

• Love 20
26 minutes ago, aghst said:

That third guy Rob, his reaction doesn't seem typical of his character at all.  Maybe it's sexism as Izzy says.  Or Rob was told to object.

I could swear some crew members slept together recently in one of the guest cabins?  Was it on the last season of BD Med?

Elizabeth does deserve a lot of the criticisms but it looks like Francessa is looking for reasons to jettison her.  With most of the season done, why bother?  But it sounds like Lee is going to back her on getting rid of Elizabeth for sleeping in the cabin and Ashling is encouraging it, saying the two of them could cover.

With maybe a couple of charters left in the season, I guess they just can't let it go without some kind of drama.

RE:  Staff sex in a guest room

Jenna on Sailing Yacht did it with - don’t mind that I can’t remember his name. She made the unilateral decision, and Capt. Glenn did not appear happy about it on WWHL. 

Hannah allowed Jess and Rob to do it, but Jess asked permission, and Hannah had to think on it first. 

I *think* Malia and Tom did it, but Malia had carte Blanche to do anything, according to Sandy. 

I think the bottom line is, either the lead was involved, or permission was asked. Neither Elizabeth nor James are leads, nor did they ask permission. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
42 minutes ago, aghst said:

Malia and her boyfriend/soon to be chef (Tom?) slept in a guest cabin the first night he arrived.  But Captain Sandy had signed off on it.

We've seen a number of crew members sleep in guest cabins with permission.  Izzy slept in one a few episodes back when she wasn't feeling well so she could really rest.  I feel like in the way back times Ben had sexy times with someone (Kat?) in a guest cabin without permission though.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, KLJ said:

I thought the same thing.  The doctor was already coming, you're not a martyr for not seeing a doc.  I hate that we expect people to push through when they are legitimately sick.  

I was so grossed out watching her cook and plate the food.  I wonder what the guests thought after watching the episode.  How do you NOT wear gloves when you have the shits?  She said on WWHL that she was worried that it was food poisoning because you can actually spread that.  First, I had no idea that food poisoning was contagious!  And second, why wouldn't you wear a mask or gloves just to be sure??!!!  

Liz's UTI sure did seem to disappear once James wanted to bang again.  She is an idiot and James is a jerk.  They deserve each other.

There had to have been some virus or bacteria being passed around with the girls right?  First, Izzy, then Rachel and Liz and then Ash?  It feels like we haven't seen this many people from one boat get sick in one season.

I really like Francesca.  She's a nice refreshing change from Kate and her frowns.  Francesca is a hard worker and (seemingly) busts her ass.  I don't blame her for having issues with Liz.  

I don't recall seeing previous seasons with Eddie, but it's really nice to have a competent bosun.  I feel like they consistently hire fuck-ups.  He appears to know his shit and knows how to handle his crew as well.  There's the added bonus that I think he's also nice to look at too!

RE:  The women transmitting a virus amongst themselves

Elizabeth most likely got the UTI from James. It’s somewhat common for this to happen to women, especially when it’s sex with a new peartner. Liz seems the type who’s too lazy to get up and pee and clean up when it’s over. 

It seems likely Ashling and Rachel acquired their infections from the meal out. 

Izzy was sick first, and none of the others seemed to have strep, so I think her auto-immune disease allowed her to pick something up and get sick quickly. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, PaperTree said:

Why promote Izzy to Lead Deckhand?  It's only going to be divisive.  Leave everybody equal.

I guess Bravo wanted the drama.

Ding ding ding!  

15 hours ago, Lassus said:

In fairness, what exactly is their other option?

Maybe bring in another chef so as to not take the chance of getting their guests sick?  I really don't understand why a large ship only has one person who can cook on it in the first place.  I know it would cost more to have a back-up, but a chef with diarrhea is not OK.  In some places, it's actually prohibited. 

1 hour ago, AryasMum said:

I don’t think she forgets to put up her hair. Elizabeth is very aware of her appearance, as seen in her beach clean up outfit. Some females know that much of their attraction is tied to their long flowing hair. Elizabeth knows she’s more attractive with it down and will continue to “forget”.  But be assured, when Francesca instructs her for the tenth time, Elizabeth will be profusely apologetic and claim to have not known.

I’ve worked with incompetent people like this, and this behavior is deliberately manipulative - this is how they keep their jobs, and they have no incentive to improve. The best part is how they gaslight those whose job is to discipline them.   Whining about unfair treatment, how hard they try, how nice they are to people, go over your head to the manager, etc. Its quite impressive when you think about it. 

I think Liz has skated by on her looks and sweetness for years.  This is probably a good industry for her.  She can go from boat to boat and do a half-hearted job but still make the same tips as everyone else.

26 minutes ago, AryasMum said:

Jenna on Sailing Yacht did it with - don’t mind that I can’t remember his name. She made the unilateral decision, and Capt. Glenn did not appear happy about it on WWHL. 

I was told on another board that the chef is one of the higher ranking positions on the ship.  And it's not like Madison or Georgia were going to try to stand up to Jenna since she outranks them too.

I think the bottom line is that they did not ask first.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, AryasMum said:

Hannah allowed Jess and Rob to do it, but Jess asked permission, and Hannah had to think on it first. 

I *think* Malia and Tom did it, but Malia had carte Blanche to do anything, according to Sandy. 

I think the bottom line is, either the lead was involved, or permission was asked. Neither Elizabeth nor James are leads, nor did they ask permission. 

32 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

Malia and her boyfriend/soon to be chef (Tom?) slept in a guest cabin the first night he arrived.  But Captain Sandy had signed off on it.

We've seen a number of crew members sleep in guest cabins with permission.  Izzy slept in one a few episodes back when she wasn't feeling well so she could really rest.  I feel like in the way back times Ben had sexy times with someone (Kat?) in a guest cabin without permission though.

Makes sense, to get permission, though it was late at night and most of the boat was already asleep.

But you know they had the permission of Bravo, since they encourage hookups so they can show moaning coming from other side of closed doors.

Now it's great for the show, it sets up another round of screaming and recriminations.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Shauna said:

I wish Andy would have talked to Rachel about drinking.  If she realized she acted this way when drunk and if she planned on curtailing drinking because of her behavior. 

He did ask a couple of questions about her drinking, one was about her behavior on the stage and how she felt about it. She just answered that she should have taken a nap or something. He also asked Lee if he was upset/alarmed by what he'd seen and Lee answered that he's witnessed way worse and didn't seem to have much issue with it. Both answers were fairly muted. 

I almost wonder if he didn't push it here because it is or will be a topic at the reunion? 

Rachel looked really pretty and was funny and charming. It made me realize I do really like her most of the time, even when she's being explicit, because she really does not take herself too seriously and has a genuine sense of humor about her own choices, decisions, etc. She also seems to be pretty professional when it comes to job matters (absent the potty mouth). Andy did the "never have I ever" game of take a drink if you've done one of the things he was mentioning (for both her and Captain Lee). The questions were all related to work, I think, and she was pretty much mirroring Lee on never doing the behaviors while on the job. And in fact I think one of the questions was had they let the f-bomb fly in front of kids and Lee said he had while Rachel had not.

All this to say I think she's a really interesting, from a tv-watching standpoint, person in general. She's very good at her job, seems to still be in a long-term-ish relationship and yet is sometimes really bad at social cues, and she's terrible when drunk. I hope she's back for another season.

• Useful 2
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, SevenCostanza said:

She's such an airhead.  How hard is it to follow some basic instructions? I couldn't believe they said she's going to be 30, she's very immature for her age.

I'm not surprised she's that immature,  I've met people in our age range who are mentally stuck at 15. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Shauna said:

Bad idea for Captain Lee (or the show) to schedule beach clean up.  Don't you want your crew to be well-rested and, therefore, happy for the next charter?  Especially when a couple of them didn't feel well.

I think the city talked the producers into it or no more filming in town after Rachels lovely “performance” with the reggae band.

Capt. Lee seemed like he knew the score, but couldn’t spill the beans.

BTW, speaking of Lee, he may be easily agitated and have wildly corny sayings...but of all the captains on Below Deck and it’s spin offs... he’s the one that would keep you safest in a disaster situation. 👍

• Useful 2
  • Love 13