Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Gym

• Start Topic

Airs. Feb. 4, 2021:

When Kat gets selected as a finalist for the Louisville Courier Journal's "Twenty under Forty" list, she decides to join the local gym to try to get in shape. Meanwhile, Randi and Daniel struggle to take their relationship to the next level and Phil deals with the realization that one of his favorite childhood books is racist in the all-new "Gym" episode of CALL ME KAT airing Thursday, Feb. 4 (9:00-9:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (KAT-105) (TV-14 D, L, V)

I didn't even crack a smile once this episode.  It was so disjointed I couldn't even follow WTF was going on.  Something about Kat wanting to make the 40 under 40 list but it just did not come together and was anything but funny.  Cringeworthy is more like it.  Mayim just doesn't know how to play this character plus the scripts suck.  She needs to be less overbearing.  It's making me miss the original Miranda series so much I wish they'd do a reprise of it with the original cast.  In fact I may go back and re-watch Miranda from start to finish instead of watching this.

• Love 5

*shrugs*

I liked it enough for what it is. 

The kitty high-fiving Kat made me delightfully happy. So much so, I rewound my PVR and watched it again, hee!

I still like the endings where everyone waves. 

• Love 15

I have half watched some of these episodes and I thought this one was pretty cute, all in all. Storytime was pretty funny.

The cast really is great. 

I haven't seen Miranda, so maybe that helps.

I wish another actress played Kat's mother though.

• Love 7

I thought people would like this one. Oh well. I liked it well enough. It's not brilliant, but it's pleasant enough. I liked Phil's storytime and how everyone was so into his story, including both adults and kids. I liked the use of the cats. I liked that everyone was more or less working together and that even though Kat totally blew the interview, the interviewer wasn't out to get her, he was just kind of bored and over the whole thing. 

I did think the too many smoothees leading to barfing at the gym was too much. Doesn't everyone over the age of 7 know you don't binge right before/during exercise? 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

It's making me miss the original Miranda series so much I wish they'd do a reprise of it with the original cast.  In fact I may go back and re-watch Miranda from start to finish instead of watching this.

I thought the other day, if they ever want to do a male-led version Stephen Merchant would be the man to do it.

• Love 1

I thought this episode was amusing. The imaginary French girlfriend is back and riding a tandem bike through Paris. I can also identify with rereading a favorite childhood book as an adult and horrifyingly realize the racism. I still hate the smug arrogant no-tipping guy. His character is so dated.

Is it my imagination or is there less of Kat reacting to the camera in this episode? I don't remember being as distracted.

And yes, I loved the cat high five.

• Love 11

This one was kind of rough to get through.  The plot was fine, the jokes were either missing or really weak.  I think they have the basis for a really good show.  They just need better writers to tighten it up and make it a truly funny show.  Right now, I still grading it on it's "potential", but I'm starting to run out of patience.

Extra credit for hiring Jerry from "Parks and Recreation" to play the reporter.  Imagine, Kat was so nervous to be interviewed by JERRY! haha

• Love 7

I sort of liked this episode. Loved the cat high fiving and the I love when they all wave at the end on bikes! They could have done without the barfing as the lipstick joke wasn't funny. Not sure it will see a second season. Willing to give it a try. 

• Love 6

She's sore, she's nervous, she's sore-vous? What makes other people happy + what makes her happy even if it that sounds corny = what she likes to call "horny." Her gym enemy is her gym-iny. Barfing jokes. This is not good writing. I'm also starting to think Mayim isn't a very good actor.

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Love 9

Mayim is just wrong for this part I think. She doesn’t have the natural awkwardness Miranda so effortlessly shows. So it seems out of character for Kat to be so awkward. She also doesn’t play the asides to the camera correctly. The stuff with the gym friend would have played so much better with Miranda than with Mayim. 

• Love 4

The kitty cat high fived Kat! So cute! 

Other stuff happened too, and it was mostly pleasant fluff, but I am just happy to see cute kitty cats being cute doing cute stuff. This isn't high art, but its fun to watch while I'm working out...kind of ironically with this weeks plot. I still find everyone waving at the end to be cute.  

I really hope that when we finally meet the French girlfriend, she's  just played by Mayim in a berret doing an obviously fake French accent. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

This is not good writing. I'm also starting to think Mayim isn't a very good actor.

IMO, the writing is bad (overall) yes. It isn't that Mayim isn't talented, she just can't pull off a lead role. Look at TBBT. No doubt that Johnny Galecki has comedic chops, but Jim Parsons became the breakout star. Mayim and Johnny both work best in supporting roles. But overall, this show both bites and blows chunks.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, jewel21 said:

The kitty high-fiving Kat made me delightfully happy. So much so, I rewound my PVR and watched it again, hee!

I have a kitty who high-fives me!  But only when he feels like it, and only because he’s trying to grab a finger to munch on.  But other than that, he could be a TV star!

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

This episode wasn't any better than previouslies; I guess I'm just accepting the clunky writing and dismal word plays.  Kitty high five was worth the price of admission!  Waving at the end was good again, but I'd like the names because I don't know who the guest stars are and credits suck on TV nowadays what with fast rolling and something superimposed over the end because of watching on Hulu (YMMV).

Swoosie's face looked like it was melting again.  I'm glad Phil's Furrytime Storytime had a happy ending with hugs and acceptance.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

IMO, the writing is bad (overall) yes. It isn't that Mayim isn't talented, she just can't pull off a lead role. Look at TBBT. No doubt that Johnny Galecki has comedic chops, but Jim Parsons became the breakout star. Mayim and Johnny both work best in supporting roles. But overall, this show both bites and blows chunks.

Mayim was the lead on Blossom.

• Love 2
On 2/5/2021 at 6:42 AM, Gregg247 said:

This one was kind of rough to get through.  The plot was fine, the jokes were either missing or really weak.  I think they have the basis for a really good show.  They just need better writers to tighten it up and make it a truly funny show.  Right now, I still grading it on it's "potential", but I'm starting to run out of patience.

I know I probably shouldn't be comparing this show to Miranda, but I do.  I don't remember the details, but Miranda had a gym ep, which is why the plot was okay, but (as is generally the case) Miranda did a better job with the jokes and pratfalls; I remember some business with her in a ball pit that would have worked a lot better than vomiting.

Another niggling (yes, I said niggling 😲 look it up) complaint - it wasn't natural that the reporter had to ask for his "cuppa" when he was settling in for the interview - as the host, Kat would have offered him something as soon he came in.  But then we wouldn't have had the humor of her being sore-vous.  Related: she made such a point of saying that her skirt was unbuttoned that I was expecting it to fall off - that would have been very Miranda.

22 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

As a cat daddy, I tuned in for the cats and found Miranda from the discussion here.  The one thing that holds it own with the original is the shop.  They can't have enough cat stuff for me. 

1*915YhOUTIpT1ma5SGgudoA.gif

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 11
On 2/5/2021 at 7:54 AM, Snow Apple said:

The imaginary French girlfriend is back and riding a tandem bike through Paris

That part was really funny.  I really get a kick out of Kat looking at the camera and rationalizing things out to the audience then have it flip to it playing out onscreen.  And Bridgeeeeet on the back of the bike saying to Max, "the only thing I like riding better is you!"

3 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Another niggling (yes, I said niggling 😲 look it up) complaint - it wasn't natural that the reporter had to ask for his "cuppa" when he was settling in for the interview - as the host, Kat would have offered him something as soon he came in

Or.....she has employees let.  Let them get a coffee for him.  Kat was there to be interviewed not to serve

22 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

It is, but I hope they don't wear it out because even cute things can get a bit tedious

20 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

This is not good writing. I'm also starting to think Mayim isn't a very good actor.

My feeling is that people are so used to seeing her as the robotic, toned down Amy on TBBT for so many years that it's hard to accept her acting in a more comedic (though, I do agree, a little OTT at times) manner

And for the love of Pete, can they stop dressing her in mis-matched clothes?  That outfit she wore for the interview - including the red sneakers - was just awful and kind of immature for an almost 40-year old.  That dress she wore in the opening scene was very pretty.

15 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Phil needs to grow a pair and stop acting so whiny

Really.  After last week's episode, I thought we might be done with all the reminiscing about Marty

On 2/5/2021 at 10:54 AM, Seelouis said:

Mayim is just wrong for this part I think. She doesn’t have the natural awkwardness Miranda so effortlessly shows

I have stated in prior episode threads that I've never seen Miranda and the actress portraying her may've been better, but I personally feel it's unfair to keep comparing Kat/Mayim to Miranda/actress who plays her.

On 2/5/2021 at 12:02 AM, jewel21 said:

I like it too.  It brings a nice original touch I've never seen in any other show

15 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Swoosie's face looked like it was melting again

The waving scene where she was smiling stretched her face out to where she looked almost unrecognizable.  

In a nutshell, despite all of the above, I'm enjoying it, the '4th wall' concept is cleverly done, I find myself laughing, it takes me out of reality for a moment and gives me some sense of levity.  It's only been 5 episodes in the freshman season.  I think if we go back to the first season of many popular comedies (Seinfeld anyone?) we can say that it was pretty awful and clunky so I'm going to stick this one out because it doesn't have enough bad or annoying qualities for me to tune out

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

she made such a point of saying that her skirt was unbuttoned that I was expecting it to fall off - that would have been very Miranda

They should've done that, that was Miranda!

Love your clip of kitty fist bump 🙂

I didn't laugh once. Even though the original show had Miranda talking to the camera I don't think they should've done that with this show because IMO Mayim can't pull it off.

• Love 3

I guess I’m in the minority but I really liked this episode. It wasn’t great but it was enjoyable and made me laugh in a few places. Like with Kat’s gym enemy. 

I loved the return of Brigette and felt like Kat talking to the camera worked much better than in previous episodes. 

I thought Max was used really well here. I could have done with Randi’s parts. 

It’s nowhere near as funny as Miranda but it’s beginning to hold it’s own for me. One thing I do prefer about Kat over Miranda is that Kat is growing while Miranda stayed mostly the same throughout. My one real criticism of Miranda is that all her growth came at the very end. 

Edited by Guest

The best parts of the show are when Kat and cheyenne Jackson interact in a serious way.  They actually have some nice moments that show some depth and potential for like a minute. 

Oh and the line where he asks if the book is racist, they ask what year it was written, they say 1945 and they all just say 'yes'.   That's clever. 

But then the other 20 minutes of the show is just goofy over the top nonsense where the characters are cartoonish and the writers are trying way too hard for what I call teen/ preteen disney level silliness.  

• Love 4
On 2/5/2021 at 10:48 AM, Kiddvideo said:

I'm also starting to think Mayim isn't a very good actor.

Yeah, I'm kind of leaning that way too. I mean, this show is crap, but it seems the whole cast brings more to their characters than she does. And that's including the imaginary French girlfriend.

Oh, and the cats are a given as bringing more.... because cats. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, ctlady said:

I have stated in prior episode threads that I've never seen Miranda and the actress portraying her may've been better, but I personally feel it's unfair to keep comparing Kat/Mayim to Miranda/actress who plays her.

I don’t know. I think because they are clearly intending to remake Miranda, down to reusing identical plot lines, the waving, etc., some comparison is fair. The original meshed better with the lead actress’ strengths. If they don’t want comparisons, they should write to Mayim’s strengths and stop trying to shoehorn her into a character that just doesn’t seem to fit her. 

• Love 6
On 2/5/2021 at 12:02 AM, jewel21 said:

*shrugs*

I liked it enough for what it is. 

I liked this episode.  Love the cats, story time was great and the gym stuff was good, although I wish people on sitcoms would learn that overdoing initial visits to the gym always lead to sore muscles and not wanting to return.  Especially if you have a trainer, they should know this and ease you into a routine.

For those comparing this to Miranda... The ending was better here.  Miranda was threatening to pee in the ball pit and other nasty stuff.  Tacky.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

(small voice): regarding a book being published in 1945-just because something was published in 1945 does not inherently make it racist.  That was quite a wide brush they used in making that "joke."

I didn’t think that was the joke because it came after Phil had concerns. It was a play on the idea that if you have to ask if something is racist the answer is probably yes and if that thing is from 1945 the answer is definitely yes. 

Edited by Guest
12 hours ago, ctlady said:

And for the love of Pete, can they stop dressing her in mis-matched clothes?  That outfit she wore for the interview - including the red sneakers - was just awful and kind of immature for an almost 40-year old.  That dress she wore in the opening scene was very pretty.

Her shoes were magenta/fuschia and blue, not red, they matched her skirt. I recall noting how matchy matchy it was upon first viewing, I them double checked before responding here. Personally, I think converse are ageless. Example, Kamala Harris and Michelle Obama are mid 50s and wear converse. Still, Kat's style is a reflection of her doing what makes her happy and is in character. 

I didn't watch Miranda, however when I heard about this show I looked up a few scenes. Though I love Tom Ellis, the slapstick awkward humour was more second-hand-embarrassment cringe than funny to me. Happily, I haven't experienced too much cringe from this show. The only time I cringe is every time I read someone commenting on Swoosie Kurtz' body, it feels so gauche and gross to speculate like that.

I like how sweet the show is and diverse-age, sexuality, race, gender. It's not hitting every checkmark but it is showing something relatively different from other current sitcoms. I think the premise of the show was reflected quite well with Phil's story time scene, with the kids and everyone including extras that were in that scene. I think the show is meant to be escapism, which I'm all for. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Dani said:
5 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

(small voice): regarding a book being published in 1945-just because something was published in 1945 does not inherently make it racist.  That was quite a wide brush they used in making that "joke."

I didn’t think that was the joke because it came after Phil had concerns. It was a play on the idea that if you have to ask if something is racist the answer is probably yes and if that thing is from 1945 the answer is definitely yes. 

I'm with seacliff on this one.  Phil may have had concerns after rereading it but the others came to their conclusion based only on hearing that the book was written in 1945.  Considering that some of the best and most classic children's books come from that decade and many don't contain anything even remotely racist or sexist, it's not exactly accurate.  Plus most children's books that originally had any potentially offensive material in them have long since been edited to remove it decades ago.  In some cases 50 years ago.  And the really offensive ones that can't be edited to be less offensive are mostly if not totally out of print altogether.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Check Sanity said:
I like how sweet the show is and diverse-age, sexuality, race, gender. It's not hitting every checkmark but it is showing something relatively different from other current sitcoms. I think the premise of the show was reflected quite well with Phil's story time scene, with the kids and everyone including extras that were in that scene. I think the show is meant to be escapism, which I'm all for. 

I think many things about the show are great if only Mayim didn't play the role like she thinks everything she does and says is much cuter and funnier than it really is.  I can't get past that part of it.  There are parts of this show that are really interfering with my appreciation of the whole.

• Love 5

BTW, I rewatched this episode and in that bit where she kicks the coffee cup out of the guy's hand she was looking straight at the cup when she did it.  It came off looking intentional to me, probably because Mayim needed to look at the cup in order to actually kick it and not the guy.  It felt very similar if not identical to another bit in an earlier episode where she kicked something out of someone's hand.   I don't think she's so great at that type of humor.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Seelouis said:

I don’t know. I think because they are clearly intending to remake Miranda, down to reusing identical plot lines, the waving, etc., some comparison is fair. The original meshed better with the lead actress’ strengths. If they don’t want comparisons, they should write to Mayim’s strengths and stop trying to shoehorn her into a character that just doesn’t seem to fit her. 

This.....exactly.  I've watched Miranda and she was a natural for the part because she created it.  I think Jim Parsons thought Mayim could pull it off and since he was instrumental in this it was produced, but perhaps those decisions are best made by professional casting people.  It would be a hard role for anyone to pull off.  I get it that they were enthusiastic about recreating a really funny, unique show but they were probably biting off more than they could chew.

• Love 3
On 2/5/2021 at 10:54 AM, Seelouis said:

Mayim is just wrong for this part I think. She doesn’t have the natural awkwardness Miranda so effortlessly shows. So it seems out of character for Kat to be so awkward. She also doesn’t play the asides to the camera correctly. The stuff with the gym friend would have played so much better with Miranda than with Mayim. 

I agree.  For some reason I'm remembering Eden Sher, who played "Sue Heck" on "The Middle".  I think if she played the role of Kat similar to the way she played Sue it would have been better casting.  She had that dorky, clumsy thing down pat.  I felt sorry for Eden after "The Middle" ended because she was supposed to start filming a spin-off based on her character in that show called "Sue Sue in the City", but it was pulled at the last minute.  These days I'm disagreeing more with TPTB's decisions on which shows to air than agreeing with them.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

Phil may have had concerns after rereading it but the others came to their conclusion based only on hearing that the book was written in 1945.

They reached that conclusion based on the Phil saying he thought it was racist and it being written in 1945. I don’t think every older book is racist but I would have reached the same conclusion as Kat and the others. If you have any concerns that a book is racist is a poor choice for story time with other people’s children. 

1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

Plus most children's books that originally had any potentially offensive material in them have long since been edited to remove it decades ago.  In some cases 50 years ago.  And the really offensive ones that can't be edited to be less offensive are mostly if not totally out of print altogether.

What is viewed as racist changes constantly. There is no way that every book with an issue has been edited or pulled from print.

I just looked and I can buy copies of Joel Chandler Harris’s Uncle Remus books and an uncensored version of Little Black Sambo. If those two are still available there is no way most potentially offensive material has been edited or is unavailable. It was throughly depressing seeing the extremely racist books I could easily find on Amazon. 

Edited by Guest
4 minutes ago, Dani said:

They reached that conclusion based on the Phil saying he thought it was racist and it being written in 1945. I don’t think every older book is racist but I would have reached the same conclusion as Kat and the others. If you have any concerns that a book is racist is a poor choice for story time with other people’s children. 

What is viewed as racist changes constantly. There is no way that every book with an issue has been edited or pulled from print.

I just looked and I can buy copies of Joel Chandler Harris’s Uncle Remus books and an uncensored version of Little Black Sambo. If those two are still available there is no way most potentially offensive material has been edited or is unavailable. It was throughly depressing seeing the extremely racist books I could easily find on Amazon. 

The point is being missed that it was an over-generalization to jump to the conclusion that because a book was written in 1945 it was therefore safe to assume it was racist.  They didn't know what Phil's concerns were over the book so their decision was made based on hearing the year it was written, not his concerns.  I'd have felt better if they just took his word for it rather than bring in the date it was written as the final deciding factor.  Like say, "Well, if you feel that way perhaps you shouldn't read it."  Or if they asked him what his concerns were first.  That would have been the most logical thing for them to do.  I think it was yet another "joke" on this show that was shoehorned into the dialogue in a clunky fashion.  The point is that many books from that era aren't even remotely racist by anyone's standards and that was definitely not the impression given here.  The dialogue made it sound like one could conclude without any evidence except how someone feels that any book from that era was inherently racist. I was raised on a lot of those books too so I know that you can't assume that.  They shouldn't even hint at spreading misinformation like that, IMHO.

• Love 6

I just looked and I can buy copies of Joel Chandler Harris’s Uncle Remus books and an uncensored version of Little Black Sambo. If those two are still available there is no way most potentially offensive material has been edited or is unavailable. It was throughly depressing seeing the extremely racist books I could easily find on Amazon

BTW, the books you mention here are not ones written in the 1940s but much earlier in the 1800s.  Of course there are a lot of books that qualify but I was being specific to an era.  There were books written later that were racist too but the point is that you can't even assume a book is racist just by being written in 1945.  And the books written then with racist bits in them were more easily edited out altogether because they appeared  here and there, and weren't the entire plot of the book.  So unless you found an antique copy you're much less likely to find that in books of that era than in books written in the 1800s.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

The point is being missed that it was an over-generalization to jump to the conclusion that because a book was written in 1945 it was therefore safe to assume it was racist. 

We’ll have to agree to disagree because my point is that it wasn’t an over-generalization based on the information given and it was safe to assume it was racist because Phil thought it was racist and it was written in 1945. I felt they were referring to the specific situation and not every book written from 1945. 

43 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

BTW, the books you mention here are not ones written in the 1940s but much earlier in the 1800s.

Yes, I know. My point it that is copies of the some extremely problematic books are readily available that I have no problem imagining that a racist children’s book from 1945 can also be easily found. I did find other children’s books from after 1945 that are racist available. Some that are still considered classic by many. Even some Dr. Seuss books are now viewed as racist by many because of stereotypical depictions of minorities. 

10 hours ago, Check Sanity said:

Example, Kamala Harris and Michelle Obama are mid 50s and wear converse. Still, Kat's style is a reflection of her doing what makes her happy and is in character. 

I wear Converse too.  My point is that I didn't think it was a professional choice of footwear when being interviewed for a prestigious business award.  What about the infamous green pantsuit? 

• Love 1
On 2/7/2021 at 5:07 AM, icemiser69 said:

They all should have read the book that Phil was talking about and then drawn their own conclusions.  The book wasn't that long.  Drawing conclusions without reading it first is a huge problem.   These characters aren't as "enlightened" as they think they are.

People who make snap judgments like they did rarely are.

On 2/7/2021 at 3:20 AM, Yeah No said:

The point is being missed that it was an over-generalization to jump to the conclusion that because a book was written in 1945 it was therefore safe to assume it was racist.  They didn't know what Phil's concerns were over the book so their decision was made based on hearing the year it was written, not his concerns.  I'd have felt better if they just took his word for it rather than bring in the date it was written as the final deciding factor.  Like say, "Well, if you feel that way perhaps you shouldn't read it."  Or if they asked him what his concerns were first.  That would have been the most logical thing for them to do.  I think it was yet another "joke" on this show that was shoehorned into the dialogue in a clunky fashion.  The point is that many books from that era aren't even remotely racist by anyone's standards and that was definitely not the impression given here.  The dialogue made it sound like one could conclude without any evidence except how someone feels that any book from that era was inherently racist. I was raised on a lot of those books too so I know that you can't assume that.  They shouldn't even hint at spreading misinformation like that, IMHO.

Yes, I agree.

If only there were some kind of facility where they keep books, either for sale or to borrow, and staffed by people who are familiar with the potential tastes of children, maybe because they went to some kind of school where they learned all about books and information dissemination. Maybe they could call it a book-for-sale place or a liberry. Heck, the bar owner has made reference to having a kid -- why not just ask him what he liked to read to his son, instead of telling Phil to make up his own story. Phil needs to seek professional help if he has issues he needs to work through; he shouldn't be using a children's reading group as a group therapy session. And yes, I know we're supposed to feel heartened that the little kid felt comfortable enough to say he liked to paint his nails (or whatever it was).

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1
On 2/6/2021 at 10:57 PM, Yeah No said:

I'm with seacliff on this one.  Phil may have had concerns after rereading it but the others came to their conclusion based only on hearing that the book was written in 1945.  Considering that some of the best and most classic children's books come from that decade and many don't contain anything even remotely racist or sexist, it's not exactly accurate.  Plus most children's books that originally had any potentially offensive material in them have long since been edited to remove it decades ago.  In some cases 50 years ago.  And the really offensive ones that can't be edited to be less offensive are mostly if not totally out of print altogether.

I Read Banned Books.

• Love 1

This was by far the worst episode for me. Kat was just way over the top. I don't buy that she holds a Ph.D. and got through a dissertation defense but can't have one normal conversation with an interviewer or gym desk guy. It's one thing to go with her being that incredibly awkward in social/dating situations but the rest is way too over the top, Lying on the floor to do the "dolphin"? The weird word combos? Just...no. I've been hanging in there because the cast is fantastic and I know first seasons can be pretty bad but this one was just 22 minutes of cringe for me. The only part I enjoyed was her conversation with Max about why she wanted to be on the list. We need more of that Kat and less pen throwing, barfing Kat. 

• Love 5