Type keyword(s) to search

Romantic Comedies

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

If memory serves, SHA does an ending montage showing Mel, Jake, and their (what looks like 3 or 4 years old) daughter in New York

That must get left off the broadcast TV version (or at least the few versions I've seen while too sick/hungover to change the channel over the years; maybe it's an ending credits thing that gets sped by/left out).  Given the talk about Jake proving himself (ultimately via the glass company) before ever seeking her out in NY, I did have some hope that the ridiculous ending wasn't meant to suggest she, Hallmark movie style, not only screwed over the man she loved and hooked up with Jake instead, but also shitcanned the career she loved just as much (and was really hitting its stride) to do who knows what from Alabama, so I'll be somewhat relieved if while she inexplicably remarried and procreated with the dolt, she made that life in NY, but the "romance" is still inexplicably stupid.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Sweet Home Alabama is on, right now, and while that movie has a lot of issues, the thing that always baffles me is that Mel ditched Andrew for her ex, Jake. I get that Andrew is the classic "nice seemingly perfect guy who gets ditched for the imperfect one" trope, and the movie is called Sweet Home Alabama, not I Love New York, and I give them credit for not making him a jerk like a lot of those characters, but...it honestly seems like even the movie is rooting for them to get together a few times. They make him so likable, and give him so many sweet romantic scenes with Mel, and even some of his own scenes dealing with his overbearing mom, and Reece Witherspoon and Patrick Dempsy have really nice chemistry, that when Mel dumps him at the altar for her rather jerky ex, it makes the ending more sad than romantic. Like, yeah, she could have married this kind, funny, interesting guy, but instead she went with the guy who called her a bitch like three days ago. Yea?

Although, Mel was kinda of a jerk as well (and lied to him for most all of their relationship), so maybe he was better off without her. 

5 hours ago, Bastet said:

Ugh, I hate that movie.  Well, I like some little side moments and characters, but I hate the main storyline.  She and Jake were teenagers, she got pregnant, they got married, she miscarried, they split up, the end.  She has this great life in NY (and Jake has a great life in Alabama), so why in all hell would she suddenly decide to ditch her fiancé - at the altar, no less - to get back with this jerk?  (Even if he was a great guy, he's still someone she barely knows as an adult.)  It's stupid, like all those Hallmark movies where the big city gal decides what she really wants is a quiet life with the small-town handyman or whatever.  They weren't some great love back then - it's like she said, she was just the first girl to crawl into the back of his truck - and they aren't anything now. 

Getting married (to Andrew) there in her hometown instead of NY was the nice way of coming to terms with where she came from, and blending that with who she is now.  It's a sweet scene when she introduces Andrew to her parents, saying with pride that her mom makes the best jam in the state (or something like that).  He accepts that she hasn't been honest about her life, because he understands why.  That wedding would have been the happy ending. 

Both of these yes. Andrew is so likable and we do get so many good romantic scenes between the two. But oh no she goes back to her ex. Who she hasn't seen in years and clearly hasn't thought of. She moved on and built a really nice life for herself and great career. Why? She's now back in love with him? Why? He really was a jerk to her. Which what exactly was Jake's plan? He supposedly built the glass company to impress Mel without telling her and did know she was dating someone else. Dude that's a sign she's not coming back. Its over. Move on. She built a nice life and has a great relationship going. Find someone else. Then she shows up and he decides the best way to impress her is to be a jerk? I hate that it worked. I don't even know why that worked. What was he going to do if she hadn't shown up?  

• Love 10
14 hours ago, festivus said:

I've never seen Sweet Home Alabama and it sounds like I shouldn't bother. 

My favorite rom-com is The Wedding Singer but we already discussed that one so my second fave is Notting Hill. I know Julia Roberts is a bitca for at least a good 3/4 of that movie but I still love it. I mean we have Hugh Grant and his charming British friends and honestly they could have ended it with them not getting together and I would still love it. The real romance was between his sister and Rhys Ifans anyway. They were so cute.

I want to defend Julia/Anna but the "having a boyfriend" thing in the first half is pretty bad. Her reaction with the paps is also pretty bad but the very fact that Spike did sell her out kind of says something about her life as a whole and why she would have a panic reaction there. And I swear I saw Julia interviewed where she was genuinely shocked that anyone believed the line to her costar on set (which Hugh heard through headphones) was sincere. 

I was more annoyed by the Spike/sister romance that came out of nowhere and he's gross.

• Love 3

Oh, I still liked Anna, even for her flaws. I can see why William believed the line he heard though, he was just a regular guy with no real idea what her life was like. 

Spike is gross, but I liked him and Honey. I thought they were sweet.

• Love 3

Anyway, My Best Friend's Wedding fans would get a kick out of this:

Aww. Kind of a shame they didn't try to do another romantic movie together. They really do have great friendship chemistry.

Oh my God, TOO CUTE! Someone write them a new comedy immediately. It doesn't need to be a rom-com. It could just be like the roles of Emma Stone's parents in Easy A. But something funny. I refuse to watch Homecoming.

• Love 2

I just sat through Destination Wedding with Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder.  Thank God it was free!  I decided to try it because I thought that it couldn't possibly be that bad.  But it was.  It was a interesting concept:  Two people who were at a wedding, which was the last place they both wanted to be, stuck together for the weekend as moral support.  They were the only two actor who had lines in the whole movie.  I did laugh a couple of times because it was amusing listening to them gossip about the family (he was the brother of the groom, she was the grooms ex.), but when they drifted to other topics, ugh.  And the sex scene was so bad that I kept thinking "I understand why the writer started it this way, but surely it's going to change".  But, no...and it got so bad that I not only covered my face with 2nd hand embarrassment, but ended up fast forwarding it altogether.  I finished it wondering why either actor agreed to it. 

• Love 2

The last holiday with Queen Latifah.   She thought she was dying so she took a trip of a lifetime.   For the first time she wasn’t afraid to try new things.   She had led a quiet lonely life before.  She had her book of possibilities but never did anything to make them happen.   LLCool J was very handsome in this movie.   I did think she might get together with the chef at first.  

There are some cheesy parts but the over all theme of the movie makes everything work.  

• Love 13
1 hour ago, tribeca said:

The last holiday with Queen Latifah.   She thought she was dying so she took a trip of a lifetime.   For the first time she wasn’t afraid to try new things.   She had led a quiet lonely life before.  She had her book of possibilities but never did anything to make them happen.   LLCool J was very handsome in this movie.   I did think she might get together with the chef at first.  

Oh yeah, I liked this movie. I couldn't remember if I'd seen it until I saw your summary. Now I want to watch it again.

• Love 5

I love The Shop Around the Corner, the 1940s movie that You've Got Mail was based off of. You've Got Mail is alright, and has some elements that I really dont like (like them both having significant others while flirting with each other, and her losing her business to him), but SAtC is just delightful. Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullavan have good chemistry, and have a good back and fourth, without really crossing into total jerk territory. The elements of YGM are not there, so I can instead focus on it just being a charming story. 

• Love 3

I shared my very negative feelings about Netflix's The Kissing Booth a few pages back but just wanted to post TIME's summation of it, as it was listed as one of their ten worst movies of 2018. The writer captured so perfectly my issues with that film. 

The star of Netflix’s hugely popular teen movie is always, somehow, finding herself in situations where she’s taking off her clothes—and it’s never in some owning-her-body type of way. She’s just trying to get a rise out of the very boys who are slut-shaming her at every turn. It would be one thing if The Kissing Booth was just another cliché-filled romantic comedy—and it is certainly that—but it’s another that it is so blatantly sexist.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

I saw this ranking of the 21 Best Romcom Boyfriends. I agree with many of the choices, but some of these guys have no business being on this list because they are explicitly terrible in their movies and many of the other characters say this. The list perplexingly includes Edward from Pretty Woman, Jake from Sweet Home Alabama, and Ben from How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. These guys SUCK!

It also has a list of runners-up that includes Jake Ryan from 16 Candles, Eddie from the Wedding Planner, Duckie Dale from Pretty in Pink, Nick Marshall from What Women Want, Jaime (Colin Firth) from Love Actually, Tom from 500 Days of Summer, and baffling Troy from Reality Bites. Troy is an insufferable asshole who says vague weird shit to sound deep and thoughtful.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I saw this ranking of the 21 Best Romcom Boyfriends. I agree with many of the choices, but some of these guys have no business being on this list because they are explicitly terrible in their movies and many of the other characters say this.

I've only seen about half the films on that list, a few of which I have only the vaguest memories of, but of those I can actually pull up a good recollection of the character, the only ones I find dateable are Josh from Clueless and Kumail from The Big Sick.  And, yeah, what the actual fuck with Edward from Pretty Woman and Jake from Sweet Home Alabama?!

I've seen a greater percentage of the runners up (although, again, there are several that I don't have much memory of beyond, "Yeah, I saw that once"), and I'm not exactly nodding my head at that list, either.  

That these are the men rom-coms have to offer may be why it's one of my least-favorite genres, or maybe it's just a really bad list. 

• Love 3

What's weird about that list is the author acknowledges some of the bad things some of those leads did yet included them anyway.  Take Jake Ryan in the "honorable mentions" list.  The author mentions in the intro "he may have set up a rape..."

Why not just say "here are my favorite romcom leads regardless of some of the not so great things they do?"  I could respect that.  I have problematic faves.  I own it.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 7
On 11/13/2018 at 8:22 PM, tennisgurl said:

I love The Shop Around the Corner, the 1940s movie that You've Got Mail was based off of. You've Got Mail is alright, and has some elements that I really dont like (like them both having significant others while flirting with each other, and her losing her business to him), but SAtC is just delightful. Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullavan have good chemistry, and have a good back and fourth, without really crossing into total jerk territory. The elements of YGM are not there, so I can instead focus on it just being a charming story. 

Yes I saw this a few years ago and realized that "You've Got Mail" had to really twist and turn its plot in bizarre ways to not retread on the simple story of "show around the corner".  The only real problem for me was that it was so dated. When Jimmy Stewarts character was giving Margret Sullivan's character reviews on how she dressed, and apparently that was a thing, I had to cringe. 

• Love 4

A couple of movies I hadn't seen here yet

Class Rank: A teen girl who dreams of being the next USSC justice finds out she is ranked #2 in her class (and no USSC Justice was ranked that) so she tries to get the school board to totally drop rank, when that doesn't work she convinces a bright but geeky fellow student to run for the school board with her as his campaign manager.  And of course, romance follows. Unlike the Netflix teen flicks . . . these kids seem real and being smart is a good thing here.

Blind Date: This is subtitled but basically this woman moves into her first apartment which is wonderful but very cheap. Eventually she learns the reason, the wall between her and her neighbor has no insulation and each can hear the other like they are in their own apartment.  Like having a roommate you can't see.  Kind of reminded me of a ghost and Mr. Muir situation as the guy had managed to run off all the people who wanted to rent the apartment before she moved in and at first he isn't happy about having to share his space. 

Priceless: again subtitled.  So a *gold digger* (with a heart of gold of course) confuses a waiter with a mark and sleeps with him before discovering her mistake. That might seem like the entire story but the rest of it branches off is strange funny and adorable ways until the waiter ends up winning her over. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BooBear said:

Blind Date: This is subtitled but basically this woman moves into her first apartment which is wonderful but very cheap. Eventually she learns the reason, the wall between her and her neighbor has no insulation and each can hear the other like they are in their own apartment.  Like having a roommate you can't see.  Kind of reminded me of a ghost and Mr. Muir situation as the guy had managed to run off all the people who wanted to rent the apartment before she moved in and at first he isn't happy about having to share his space. 

I did talk about that one way back in March.  Reading your post makes me want to watch it again because I did enjoy it.

And thanks for mentioning the other two movies.  I will put them on my watch list this week.

• Love 2

I've seen Notting Hill before, for sure, and I don't remember thinking much of it.

So explain to me why I watched it last night and came out a crying, shaking mess.  My god!  Suddenly I think it's like the greatest movie I've ever seen.  

• Love 4

Priceless: again subtitled.  So a *gold digger* (with a heart of gold of course) confuses a waiter with a mark and sleeps with him before discovering her mistake. That might seem like the entire story but the rest of it branches off is strange funny and adorable ways until the waiter ends up winning her over. 

I've been meaning to watch this because Audrey Tatou but it sounds SO bad. 

17 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I've been meaning to watch this because Audrey Tatou but it sounds SO bad. 

Give it a shot... it wasn't the best thing ever but better than I thought. 

Spoiler

the waiter inadvertently becomes a kept man (by an older lady) and this drives Audrey Tatou mad with jealousy which she doesn't want to admit. But the whole time the waiter is basically doing all of it because he has fallen madly in love with Tatou.  

Another one I liked was Man Up. Basically a 34 year old woman is at her wits end looking for a good relationship and just as she is about to give up she is mistaken as the 24 year old blind date of a 40 ish year old, just divorced, guy. She decides to go with it... during the wacky high jinks that ensue... they fall for each other but... then the truth is revealed.

I liked, but you may not, that Simon Pegg (typically known for comedy) is cast as the male lead. 

• Love 3
On 8/20/2018 at 9:32 AM, Shannon L. said:

My daughter and I watched Love, Simon last night.  I really enjoyed it.  She has been part of the theater productions in high school since the beginning, so we got a good laugh over the drama teacher.  I was really impressed with the actor who played Simon.  His reaction to being publicly outed had me tearing up.  I've also always liked Jennifer Garner.  I thought it looked good when I saw the trailer and it didn't disappoint.

It was fantastic.  The main actor did a tremendous job.  I have a tiny few issues, but, it was good.

I rewatched While You Were Sleeping this past Christmas and enjoyed it a lot more than past watches.  You guys are probably helping me see the goodness in these movies :)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8

I just watched Leap Year with Amy Adams and Matthew Goode.   The scenery is gorgeous, there's fun Irish jig music and both leads are cute - though seriously, Amy Adams glows in this movie, the lighting for her is perfect.  

I liked the way the ending came about because you are thinking why would Amy Adams leave her life for him?  But it ended up working for me.

I read a blurb about this movie where you know (other than obvious rom-com plot) that AA's boyfriend won't be the one she ends up with because he doesn't have a hair out of place; of course she will end up with the scruffier guy, lol. 

• Love 5

Guys!  Emergency!  If you can, please take a look out for the Entertainment Weekly Issue February 15-22.

It's a special double issue all about Romantic Comedies.  You will all love it!  I got it in the mail today.  It's not just about My Best Friend's Wedding, there is information on like 50 romcoms.  Lots of interviews and "things you didn't know" about the more famous romcoms from the 80s to today.

https://ew.com/movie-reunions/2019/02/07/my-best-friends-wedding-reunion-cover/

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
On 2/9/2019 at 9:50 PM, VCRTracking said:

Disagree 100%! I’ve always preferred Sandra and her movies. I think she’s a better actress overall, and her rom-com characters are usually funny and down-to-earth, which makes her movies more relatable and less like fairy tales . She allowed herself to be vulnerable and less than perfect. Julia was the beautiful “cool girl” who almost always got the guy because she was Julia Roberts. Notable exception: My Best Friend’s Wedding, which happens to be my favorite of her rom-coms.

And Mark totally cheated with the rom com lines. Yeah, the Steel Magnolias line was awesome, but that was not a rom com. And Shelby wasn’t talking about romance at all. She was telling her mom she was willing to risk her life to have a baby. 

I sound bitter, but I enjoyed the clip fun clip. I just like Sandy better and thought Mark’s categories were inadequate. LOL

23 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Guys Emergency!  If you can, please take a look out for the Entertainment Weekly Issue February 15-22.

Thanks. I will be picking up that issue!

• Love 6

It really was a great decision to change the ending of My Best Friend’s Wedding.  They found a way to not cheapen the heartache but still feel hopeful.  It’s also interesting that Kimmie’s moment to express her anger was added later.  

• Love 9

Chris Hanna has some articles at the Canadian National Post you guys might enjoy.  I don't like Runaway Bride, personally, but hey "go off" as the kids might say.

https://nationalpost.com/entertainment/movies/all-you-need-is-runaway-bride-to-prove-exactly-why-julia-roberts-remains-americas-sweetheart

https://nationalpost.com/entertainment/movies/how-the-holiday-makes-you-glad-and-a-little-sad-to-be-single-at-christmas

https://nationalpost.com/entertainment/movies/death-becomes-her-is-born-again-as-a-halloween-and-queer-cult-classic

The last one was written by someone else but similar themes

https://nationalpost.com/entertainment/movies/why-the-family-stone-is-the-most-under-appreciated-christmas-gem-of-all-time

This was great - Sarah Jessica Parker Answers Almost Every Question We Have About The Family Stone

https://www.vulture.com/2018/12/sarah-jessica-parker-the-family-stone-interview-diane-keaton.html

Interview with Meg Ryan:  Meg Ryan on romantic comedies, celebrity and leaving it all behind: ‘The feeling with Hollywood was mutual.’

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/magazine/meg-ryan-romantic-comedy.html

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

Well unsurprisingly, especially once a sequel for To All The Boys I've Loved Before was officially greenlit, Netflix has announced a sequel for The Kissing Booth. To say my feelings regarding that news is decidedly different to the one I have about To All The Boys, would be an understatement.

Fingers crossed, the writers read all the negative comments about the first film and the second one is far less problematic and annoying. At the least, hopefully they don't find a million ways to show Joey King's ass in the sequel.

Also interesting is that the leads dated and "shocker", already broke up. So that should make for an interesting sequel assuming they're both reprising their roles. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
On 2/15/2019 at 10:29 PM, truthaboutluv said:

Fingers crossed, the writers read all the negative comments about the first film and the second one is far less problematic and annoying. At the least, hopefully they don't find a million ways to show Joey King's ass in the sequel.

Also interesting is that the leads dated and "shocker", already broke up. So that should make for an interesting sequel assuming they're both reprising their roles. 

I wonder if they're going to make Joey King wear a wig because she shaved her head for a part. Romantic comedy heroines almost never have short hair, especially after Meg Ryan aged out. (Cameron Diaz grew her bob out after the decade turned.) Hopefully they get a good one. I never realized until reading a comment that Robin Tunney was wearing a wig in The Craft because her hair was shaved after playing a cancer patient. Her wig looked totally realistic.

I actually really enjoyed Isn't It Romantic.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
On 2/14/2019 at 8:48 PM, Luckylyn said:

It really was a great decision to change the ending of My Best Friend’s Wedding.  They found a way to not cheapen the heartache but still feel hopeful.  It’s also interesting that Kimmie’s moment to express her anger was added later.  

I can't believe they weren't going to add that.  After all Jules had put Kimmy through, she was ENTITLED to ripping her to shreds!

• Love 7

Finally saw Isnt it Romantic today, and I thought it was really cute, and I loved all of the mockery of rom com cliches (especially female protagonists being clumsy and NYC having about 7 billion architects in it) and the cast seemed to be having fun. My one complaint is that they seemed to be mainly referencing/parodying rom coms from the 80s/90s and a bit of the early 00s. Yeah that was kind of they heyday, but it would have been nice if they referenced some newer movies as well. 

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Finally saw Isnt it Romantic today, and I thought it was really cute, and I loved all of the mockery of rom com cliches (especially female protagonists being clumsy and NYC having about 7 billion architects in it) and the cast seemed to be having fun. My one complaint is that they seemed to be mainly referencing/parodying rom coms from the 80s/90s and a bit of the early 00s. Yeah that was kind of they heyday, but it would have been nice if they referenced some newer movies as well. 

I think the most recent references were probably 13 Going on 30 and The Devil Wears Prada, although with the latter one, it only really feels like a reference because of the evil redheaded co-worker.

I think the reason why you didn't get more recent comedies is because Rebel's character by her 30's had sworn off romantic comedies. She probably didn't watch newer ones like Valentine's Day or my personal favorite, Trainwreck. It's also making fun of a certain type of romantic comedy, and most newer ones don't really adhere to the formula set up here- such as Trainwreck, The Big Sick, Silver Linings Playbook.

I'd say the last really big romantic comedy that adhered to the formula for the most part was The Ugly Truth, and even that was R-rated as opposed to PG-13. (Valentine's Day doesn't really have a single protagonist so it doesn't stick by this formula at all.) Most romantic comedies that have done well in the past decade have been grittier, I feel like. Crazy Rich Asians was a big outlier in the sense that it's pretty much adheres to the PG-13 romantic comedy early 2000's mold, except of course the cast is Asian.

• Love 3
(edited)

Julia, Sandra, Meg, there's no need to fight.  They're all welcome

Here's perfect movies in my opinion

Julia
- Notting Hill
- My BFs Wedding
- Pretty Woman OBVIOUSLY

Sandra
- Two Weeks Notice
- Miss Congeniality
- While You Were Sleeping (not perfect, but good)

Meg
- Sleepless in Seattle
- When Harry Met Sally
- You've got Mail (not anywhere near perfect, nowhere my near favourite, but I know other people like it)

There's a whole bunch of others in the mix (French Kiss, The Proposal, America's Sweethearts, blah blah blah), but I'd say these are the classics, and they all have at least 3 of them each, so, they can all win in my mind! 

Actually, Drew Barrymore is a Rom Com queen in my books.
- Fever Pitch, I'm a big baseball fan , so I freaking love this one, don't kill me.
- Music and Lyrics
- Never Been Kissed
- Wedding Singer (never got into this one, but hey I'll give it another chance.)

I have other romcom queens - even for 1 movie each - Alicia Silverstone, Kate Hudson, Jennifer Aniston (I'll watch her watch paint dry seriously), CAMERON DIAZ (looooooove The Other Woman, I'd probably also watch her watch paint dry), Jennifer Lopez (Love Monster-in-Law), Gwyneth Paltrow (I UNASHAMEDLY love Gwyneth), Reese Witherspoon (people love her popular movies, but I only like "Just like Heaven" and "Cruel Intentions"), Winona Ryder.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
On 12/23/2018 at 8:10 PM, BooBear said:

Blind Date makes me think of that weird Bruce Willis (one of his first movies just prior to Moonlighting ending, when he still had hair!) and Kim Basinger film with an obsessed/crazy John Larroquette, Phil Hartman as Bruce's brother, and William Daniels. But that's me.

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I'm still kind of shocked that Emma Stine hasn't made a big romcom unless Crazy Stupid Love and LaLa Land count. I guess Easy A counts? That did pretty well.

I'm not a huge Emma Stone fan, but I liked her on SNL--she has great comedic timing.  And even in the Help, not a rom-com, she played her scenes with Piz (I forget the actor's name) with understated humor. 

I think she'd be good in a rom com. 

• Love 1

In La La Land I found her very bony.  It was extremely distracting and not easy to watch.  And before somebody says "Well that's just NATURAALLLLL" she sure didn't look like that in Superbad.  I don't find her relatable at all.  Although, she was in The Favourite which certainly had some romance in it - don't want to give anything away.  It was like a romantic comedy, but made by a very disturbed human being 🙂

On 3/6/2019 at 2:12 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I'd say the last really big romantic comedy that adhered to the formula for the most part was The Ugly Truth, and even that was R-rated as opposed to PG-13. (Valentine's Day doesn't really have a single protagonist so it doesn't stick by this formula at all.) 

He's Just Not That Into You is similar to Valentine's Day in that respect--it came out the year before the latter--but did it a lot better, IMO. 

• Love 2

Anyone ever seen For Love or Money? It's this 90s romcom with Michael J Fox as probably the second best romcom hotel concierge (first is Hector Elizondo) who wants to run his own hote and maybe will finally get one if he helps this rich business guy jerk mind his mistress. Only problem is the mistress happens to be the woman Michael's had a crush on. It's probably not the best MJF movie, but it's still pretty cute.

• Love 3