Type keyword(s) to search

Romantic Comedies

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, topanga said:

Crazy Rich Asians wasn't a rom-com because Asian culture and family tradition were also part of the love story? 

As an aside, I recently saw Crazy Rich Asians and was mighty confused. To me it wasn't a romantic anything.  I just couldn't get into it and eventually stopped watching. I never bought that the main guy character was in love with the girl. And I did think the Asian culture thing took me out of the story because it seemed so odd to me. And this is a girl that watched an all Russian movie but still felt like I understood their traditions. 

37 minutes ago, BooBear said:

As an aside, I recently saw Crazy Rich Asians and was mighty confused. To me it wasn't a romantic anything.  I just couldn't get into it and eventually stopped watching. I never bought that the main guy character was in love with the girl. And I did think the Asian culture thing took me out of the story because it seemed so odd to me. And this is a girl that watched an all Russian movie but still felt like I understood their traditions. 

Was the story itself confusing for you? Perhaps seeing a contemporary love story set in Asia seemed odd because we rarely see much of Asian culture in films except for martial arts. And sometimes Asian gangs. 

• Love 1

It wasn't the Asian culture that threw me for a loop in the story - it was the culture of the incredibly wealthy.That was the setting for the story gave it a twist to differentiate from other romcoms, but it was still a romcom in my opinion. 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, shantown said:

It wasn't the Asian culture that threw me for a loop in the story - it was the culture of the incredibly wealthy.That was the setting for the story gave it a twist to differentiate from other romcoms, but it was still a romcom in my opinion. 

I didn't like how wasteful and excessive the rich people were in the story. But that's also where Rachel came in--she wasn't rich, and she was able to serve as the audience surrogate--an outsider looking at this crazy world. 

• Love 5

It's called "Crazy Rich Asians" so I wonder what you guys thought the movie would be about if not about Asians who are crazy rich?

It was definitely a romantic comedy to me as it's a romance that is also comedic.  It's a straightforward romance, like the typical Cinderella story that also was showcased in movies like Doc Hollywood, Pretty Woman, Sweet Home Alabama, and so forth.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 11

Crazy Rich Asian is almost an archetypal romantic comedy. It has our lovable every girl protagonist, her hunky nice guy boyfriend, a big secret revealed, fish out of water tale jokes, quirky best friend, mean girls, shopping montage, lots of kisses and cuddles, people from two different worlds fall in love, third act break up, reunion at an airport, etc. It just made it funny and clever in ways that a lot of rom coms got stale doing, because they were more interested in cliches than in actually being funny. Plus, having an all Asian cast and being partially set in Asia, which is certainly not something you would see in a lot of those late 90s early 00s movies of the genre.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's called "Crazy Rich Asians" so I wonder what you guys thought the movie would be about if not about Asians who are crazy rich?

It was definitely a romantic comedy to me as it's a romance that is also comedic.  It's a straightforward romance, like the typical Cinderella story that also was showcased in movies like Doc Hollywood, Pretty Woman, Sweet Home Alabama, and so forth.

Of course the movie is about crazy rich Asian people. My comments in response to the original poster, comments that I also made in the movie topic itself, is that I’d wish there’d been commentary on how people spend their money. I loved the movie, and it’s one of my favorite rom coms from recent years. 

And earlier, someone posted a link to an article that suggested CRA is not a rom-com. So when I questioned that in my post, I think some people are assuming I was the one making that statement about the movie. 

• Love 2

I've been stuck at home this week and decided to do a Grant and Grant movie fest (Cary and Hugh.)

Yesterday, I found two I'd not seen before: Cary Grant in Indiscreet (delightful!) and Hugh Grant in The Rewrite (enjoyable like comfort food). Monday was Holiday and Two Weeks Notice.  Today will be The Grass is Greener and The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain.

I'm not happy I messed up my back but as far as movies go it's been a pretty good week.

• Love 8
On 5/1/2019 at 9:28 AM, amaranta said:

I've been stuck at home this week and decided to do a Grant and Grant movie fest (Cary and Hugh.)

Yesterday, I found two I'd not seen before: Cary Grant in Indiscreet (delightful!) and Hugh Grant in The Rewrite (enjoyable like comfort food). Monday was Holiday and Two Weeks Notice.  Today will be The Grass is Greener and The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain.

I'm not happy I messed up my back but as far as movies go it's been a pretty good week.

I really liked "The Rewrite" and I didn't even WANT to like it!!!  😁  Hugh as the aging playboy, yeah, really a stretch for him eh??

But yes, enjoyable. I want to buy it.  😊

• Love 2

I think I liked it more because of Lucy Liu and the cool power dynamics of having a black man and an Asian woman headline a romantic comedy.  😕  I think people of my generation really like Lucy and Taye so that was a cool deal for us.  Ah well.

• Love 6
(edited)
23 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Glen Powell and Zoey Deutch are going to do another Netflix romcom by the same writer as Set It Up but it's not going to be a sequel. 

If it's as good as Set It Up, bring it on.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/glen-powell-zoey-deutch-netflix-romantic-comedy-set-it-up/

Set It Up was good, but I thought it could have been tightened up. I thought parts of it dragged. Still, they had good chemistry and it largely achieved what it wanted to do- a 1999 romantic comedy for 2018.

It sounds like they want to do a romantic comedy but in a totally different trope. My guess based on the title "A Most Dangerous Game" is that they want to do "young people go on an adventure and fall in love in the process", like Romancing the Stone or Bird on A Wire. Or maye Zoey is a femme fatale and Glenn can't decide if she loves him or will stab him in the back. Like comedy noir.

It would be kind of awesome if they did do a series of movies that explore different subsets of the romantic comedy.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

It was on TV so I rewatched 13 Going on 30. I had it on DVD so I rewatched it a bunch but I haven't seen it in a good number of years. It holds up. There are some narrative shortcuts (mostly time jumps where you have to explain to yourself all the connective tissue that's missing) and some weirdness (a 30-year-old woman having a sleepover with teenagers and other scenes that read weirdly if you believe she's really a 13-year-old and other scenes that are weird if you think she's actually 30) but overall, it's pretty solid. I think it really benefits from the generational split, especially now in 2019. You can watch it and get 80's nostalgia but also early 2000's nostalgia. The soundtrack is great. The fashion is great. The casting is fantastic. Jennifer Garner is so believable as a teenager even when she settles in and is no longer such a fish out of water. Mark Ruffalo is sweet. But also... Andy Serkis and Judy Greer and Susan Egan and even Jim Gaffigan for that bit about her childhood crush (later a taxi driver). The younger counterparts are also well cast. I'm pretty sure Brie Larson was part of the Six Chicks. The movie is very wholesome. When I was younger, it seemed mildly scandalous but now that I'm closer to 30 than 13, it's really not that shocking. They're careful to not go too far and I really liked how they played the scene where Jenna went to Matt's room to stop the wedding. Arguably, you could feel bad for his random fiance but I think that gets hand waived away with alternate timelines. I mean, you could say none of it really happened but it feels more like an alternate timeline movie. I feel like movies that take back all the events of the movie are usually clearer about it being a do-over or a dream.

• Love 9
(edited)

Oh yeah, it holds up.  It's a fun, great rom-com for sure.  And the Thriller scene is a classic.

And there's this nice little niche of "Mark Ruffalo is a sweet romantic interest to a big Hollywood star" of romantic comedies from the 2000s - Rumor Has it, View from the Top, and Just Like Heaven!  I especially enjoy the latter two.  And, he's also really cute in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

His, and Chris Pratt's, career trajectories really surprised me when you see how they started out.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

I remember Just Like Heaven but I never watched it. It's one of the movies from that time like Little Black Book where even though I loved rom-coms, I would rather rewatch my favs that watch something that looked mediocre. They were really churning them out at that point. 

I'm pretty sure I watched View from the Top but I can't remember a thing about it. Was Gwyneth a flight attendant or did she want to become one? That's how little I remember about that movie. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I remember Just Like Heaven but I never watched it. It's one of the movies from that time like Little Black Book where even though I loved rom-coms, I would rather rewatch my favs that watch something that looked mediocre. They were really churning them out at that point. 

I'm pretty sure I watched View from the Top but I can't remember a thing about it. Was Gwyneth a flight attendant or did she want to become one? That's how little I remember about that movie. 

Just Like Heaven is not mediocre, it's one of my favourites.  Little Black Book is mediocre though.  I never got through that one.

View from the Top - Gwyneth Paltrow was a flight attendant, yes.  It's a real feel good movie.  Another one of my favourites.  It is very disliked by critics but I just straight up like it. 

And Mark Ruffalo is very cute in both.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Just Like Heaven is not mediocre, it's one of my favourites.  Little Black Book is mediocre though.  I never got through that one.

I watched Little Black Book on TV, and really the only thing that made it stand out (beyond the premise itself being pretty sketchy) was that the main girl didnt get the guy, and she seemed alright about it in the end. That was pretty surprising, especially for such a conventional and mediocre movie. 

• Love 1

I love 13 Going on 30 and Just Like Heaven. I always watch when they are showing on TV because it always puts me in a good mood. The soundtrack for 13 is amazing (just like Never Been Kissed). 

The above trailer looks good. I saw Good Sam today, which is more of a dramady with the romance in the background and enjoyed it, but Netflix really needs to start churning out the romcoms because I need my fix!

• Love 3
On 5/16/2019 at 1:53 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm sooooooooooooooooooo excited about this one.  And Mariah Carey is my favourite singer too.  I can't believe that Keanu Reeves part at the end.   🤤

It looks so charming!

• Love 3

Always Be My Maybe looks good. Ali Wong stands out as not being as good of an actor as the others around her even in this trailer. There's the same anger and yelling that characterizes her stand up delivery. But Randall looks adorable. I'm already in for him being a romantic leading man. The Keanu part was... interesting. I'll say this. I'm interested in Netflix maybe developing a stable of actors. I haven't watched To The Bone yet but it's cool to imagine actors from one Netflix project jumping into another. 

I don't know. Not much to speculate about. I'll probably like this. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, aradia22 said:

But Randall looks adorable. I'm already in for him being a romantic leading man.

He's SO adorable.  Whenever I watch FOTB I just think about what a great husband his character is.  LOL.  

• Love 7

I'm excited for Always Be My Maybe.  Netflix, keeping the traditional romcom alive (over raunch). I hope it's good.

Speaking of romcoms on Netflix, I watched a Spanish film today called In Family I Trust. It was Hallmark-esque*.  An architect, cheated on by her fiance and co-worker, goes home to visit her family. It's a small town on the Spanish coast and it's pretty.  She meets a well off widower with a daughter who hasn't spoken since her mother died in a car crash.

It's largely about her relationship with her mother, three siblings and the guy. Predictable but a good looking lead and pretty scenery is not a bad way to spend 97 minutes.

*Don't worry, even though it's a small town, it isn't set up as some sort of paragon of perfection and the male lead actually says he'd leave but, since his in-laws already lost a daughter, he doesn't want to take away their granddaughter.

• Love 2
On 5/17/2019 at 4:48 PM, aradia22 said:

Always Be My Maybe looks good. Ali Wong stands out as not being as good of an actor as the others around her even in this trailer. There's the same anger and yelling that characterizes her stand up delivery. But Randall looks adorable. I'm already in for him being a romantic leading man. The Keanu part was... interesting. I'll say this. I'm interested in Netflix maybe developing a stable of actors. I haven't watched To The Bone yet but it's cool to imagine actors from one Netflix project jumping into another. 

I don't know. Not much to speculate about. I'll probably like this. 

On 5/17/2019 at 8:40 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

He's SO adorable.  Whenever I watch FOTB I just think about what a great husband his character is.  LOL.  

I first noticed him as "Asian Jim" in one of the best cold opens on the last season of The Office

I thought "I like this dude. I hope I see him in more things."

• LOL 1

No offense intended but I truly HATED "Little Black Book"!

I rewatched "The Nanny Diaries" - I don't think it's great, and I don't think Scarlett is great in it, but I tend to watch this movie anyway.  I like it enough to find it watchable.  I think it's like a mediocre version of "The Devil Wears Prada" - there's a TON of similarities, but the latter movie is basically perfect with great acting, great fashion, great dialogue whereas the former is just so average on all fronts.

I love "Julie & Julia" - Well, I love all the Meryl Streep Julia Child stuff.  The Julie Powell Amy Adams stuff is so blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah for me.

• Love 5

I think The Devil Wears Prada and The Nanny Diaries are both bad Hollywood versions of the books they were based on. And those books weren't high art to begin with. TDWP is more interesting because the author has written more rom-com-y books (also bad) but TDWP is really not a rom com at all. It's about an unlikable woman surrounded by other unlikable people who effs up in a big way and then has to deal with the fallout. The movie takes almost all of it away but the remnants make the movie feel strange. The conflict that is in the movie was basically invented wholesale for the movie. It's not in the book.

• Love 2

To clarify, I meant that the original book The Devil Wears Prada is not a rom-com but the movie script does what it can to turn the story into a rom-com/coming of age story. But it feels unnatural because 

Spoiler

from what I remember, the only thing from the book is that she starts getting consumed with work and her boyfriend breaks up with her. He doesn't come back at the end. The story in the book has very little to do with men. Stanley Tucci's character doesn't exist and neither does the drama with Meryl Streep's husband. 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I love the movie "The Devil Wears Prada".  One of my favourites that I can watch again and again.  And I count it as a romantic comedy.

I love that movie too. I love all the work scenes. I hate the scenes with her horrible friends and boyfriend. I really like how Andy changes at work. She starts out hating it and really not caring about her job or fashion, she pretty much mocks and looks down on it just because its something she doesn't like even though she has a job so many would kill for and most work really hard to do their job. I love the scene when Miranda shows her she really knows what she's talking about after Andy makes that remark about the belts being the same color, and then later from Nigel who she goes to expecting a shoulder to cry on but instead he rightly points out she hasn't been really trying. So she starts trying and ends up doing better and starts gaining appreciation for people who work in fashion. The ending is always a little off to me I think she's suppose to be quitting for herself she doesn't want to end up like Miranda and had already stabbed Emily in the back. But it seems like she quit for her crappy boyfriend. Plus she only had to work there for a year and she could have moved into writing. Also she really seemed start enjoying her job and that world. Did she really want to quit? Did she want to stay? Maybe she wanted to be a fashion writer or stay in that field for awhile. Or maybe a career change. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Yeah it took me seeing it a few times to realize - wait a minute - everyone in Andy's life is extremely unsupportive of her career!

But now it's become such a done-to-death meme on social media ("The real villain of the movie is Andy's boyfriend/friends/family") etc. that some people say they're exasperated/tired of hearing it.

Well I'm not!  I love discussing the movie and I love the movie.

Even with these points, I find it extremely watchable and loveable.  And obviously, I love Meryl in it.

34 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I love the scene when Miranda shows her she really knows what she's talking about after Andy makes that remark about the belts being the same color, 

The Cerulean Blue speech.  One of my all time favourite movie scenes!!

If you weren't already aware, Meryl asked for that scene to be put back in after it was cut.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil_Wears_Prada_(film)#Cerulean_sweater_speech

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
(edited)
52 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah it took me seeing it a few times to realize - wait a minute - everyone in Andy's life is extremely unsupportive of her career!

But now it's become such a done-to-death meme on social media ("The real villain of the movie is Andy's boyfriend/friends/family") etc. that some people say they're exasperated/tired of hearing it.

Well I'm not!  I love discussing the movie and I love the movie.

Even with these points, I find it extremely watchable and loveable.  And obviously, I love Meryl in it.

The Cerulean Blue speech.  One of my all time favourite movie scenes!!

If you weren't already aware, Meryl asked for that scene to be put back in after it was cut.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil_Wears_Prada_(film)#Cerulean_sweater_speech

I'm not either. I love the movie and discussing it. 

Her friends were all so horrible. Especially that scene where Andy gives them all really nice and expensive stuff from the job they keep treating her like crap for and they were so excited to get and they pay her back by stealing her cellphone. Nate confused me at first I really couldn't tell at first that he was her boyfriend. I wasn't sure if he was a friend, brother or roommate. He's such an asshole about her job and also a hypocrite because he's a sou chef so he's mostly likely working the same hours Andy is. I'm betting he's missed some dates and has been late too. He bitches about French fries, but lectures on Andy about having integrity. Andy wasn't allowed to move on from her friends or Nate but its totally okay for Nate to move to Boston at the end. I so wish she dumped them all at the end.  

I didn't know they planned to cut it! Good move on Meryl's part its a such a good speech and great way to show Miranda knows what she's talking about. I also love the reactions from everyone else in the room when Andy laughs at first. 

I like Andy when she's able to understanding the photoshoot later.  When she's able to pull of the impossible by getting an early Harry Potter book. She and Christian had a lot of chemistry and probably a better fit. He helped her out when she needed it. And went to go undo the deal that would have gotten him a nicer boss and benefited him greatly for her. 

I really would have loved a scene with her realizing she liked her job or debating about staying or still going into journalism. 

Nigel was such a good character. Emily was great. Her telling Andy to calm down. Andy going to Miranda's house and I love how immediately all of Emily's instructions ended up being confusing. The table with the flower. Well which one would that be? Which closet?

Miranda of course was amazing and terrifying. Her showing the list of names who would go with her if she was fired from Runway was awesome. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 5
(edited)
28 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm not either. I love the movie and discussing it. 

Her friends were all so horrible. Especially that scene where Andy gives them all really nice and expensive stuff from the job they keep treating her like crap for and they were so excited to get and they pay her back by stealing her cellphone.

Remember how Andy gives her female friend a Marc Jacobs purse?  Then later at her friend's art show the friend cusses Andy out for "skulking around with hot guys" (Simon Baker)?  I always scream, oh you loved Andy's new job when it gave you a free bag, but now you're gonna bitch about it?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Nate confused me at first I really couldn't tell at first that he was her boyfriend. I wasn't sure if he was a friend, brother or roommate. He's such an asshole about her job and also a hypocrite because he's a sou chef so he's mostly likely working the same hours Andy is.

OH MY GOD YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He puts down the world of fashion and says it's stupid to care about labels, clothes, etc.  GUESS WHAT?  HE MAKES GRILLED CHEESE WITH JARLSBERG, and talks about how costly it is!  Well guess what asshole?  Why are people not allowed to be pretentious about fashion, yet you're allowed to be pretentious about CHEESE!  Food and clothes are just as necessary as one another!!!!!  So why is your career so much more important?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I like Andy when she's able to understanding the photoshoot later.  When she's able to pull of the impossible by getting an early Harry Potter book. She and Christian had a lot of chemistry and probably a better fit. He helped her out when she needed it. And went to go undo the deal that would have gotten him a nicer boss and benefited him greatly for her. 

I think Simon Baker is really hot!  😍😂   I always joke about how Andy starts out this timid journalism student and next thing you know she's fucking The Mentalist !  😂 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
55 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Nigel was such a good character.

Like I said upthread I just rewatched "Julie & Julia".  It's cute that Stanley Tucci and Meryl Streep act as the most adorable couple alive in that movie, and in The Devil Wears Prada they're kind of a work couple/partnership.

Did you know that Stanley Tucci met Emily Blunt's sister because of "The Devil Wears Prada" and they are now married?  (Oh went to check Wikipedia.  Stanley met Emily's sister at Emily's wedding to John Krasinski, and now they are married with 2 kids together!)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Remember how Andy gives her female friend a Marc Jacobs purse?  Then later at her friend's art show the friend cusses Andy out for "skulking around with a hot guy" (Simon Baker)?  I always scream, oh you loved Andy's new job when it gave you a free bag, but now you're gonna bitch about it?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, yes she was so happy to get that new free, expensive bag. Then chews her out later for being with Simon? Why did she flip out so much? What friend does that? Why didn't she just ask Andy about him? Andy would have answered honestly, he's friend from work who's helped her out. Where's the crime? That she was talking to a hot guy? That he kissed her cheek? Ah, Andy told him she had boyfriend and wasn't doing anything wrong. 

OH MY GOD YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He puts down the world of fashion and says it's stupid to care about labels, clothes, etc.  GUESS WHAT?  HE MAKES GRILLED CHEESE WITH JARLSBERG, and talks about how costly it is!  Well guess what asshole?  Why are people not allowed to be pretentious about fashion, yet you're allowed to be pretentious about CHEESE!  Food and clothes are just as necessary as one another!!!!!  So why is your career so much more important?

Exactly! They are the same thing. Expensive food and expensive clothes are the same thing. So why is it okay for him to use expensive food, and bitch about poor fries. But its not okay for Andy to start wearing better clothes and taking an interest in her job. We're suppose to think he's completely right when A) he's wrong and B) he does the exact same thing as Andy.  How is it different? How is he "better" then her? Why does he get so upset at her working so many late hours and missing stuff when he's most likely doing the same thing because chefs work long crazy hours too. You'd expect him to be support if. Complaining about co-workers, talking about the craziness of how much people spend on food and clothes, commiserating on their mutual long hours and how tired they are. Nope, he just bitches and treats her like crap. Andy never gets mad at him or her friends for their lack of support or pointing their hypocrisy to them.   

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think Simon Baker is really hot!  😍😂   I always joke about how Andy starts out this timid journalism student and next thing you know she's fucking The Mentalist !  😂 

Yes he is! Every time I see him in a movie or show, he is still as hot as ever. I really loved him in this movie. Christian was everything her friends and boyfriend weren't. He was supportive, he listened to her, he explained things to her, and he helped her. He helped her out twice in really big ways. While Nate was practically cheering when Andy thought she was going to quit because she couldn't get the Harry Potter book. Plus he was hot. They should have ended up as couple or start of one at the end. He understood her job very well and what its like to work in the fashion industry.

Just now, Ms Blue Jay said:

Like I said upthread I just rewatched "Julie & Julia".  It's cute that Stanley Tucci and Meryl Streep act as the most adorable couple alive in that movie, and in The Devil Wears Prada they're kind of a work couple/partnership.

Did you know that Stanley Tucci met Emily Blunt's wife because of "The Devil Wears Prada" and they are now married?

I loved him in both of those movies! I love Julie & Julia. Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci were such a cute couple. I love how supported and how much they loved each other. His reaction when he walks into the kitchen to all the onions. When Julia's describing their day to her penpal with the "And Paul takes a nap." They were just as great in this movie too. I love Nigel explaining what working at Runway meant to him.

• Love 2

(Sorry I wrote "Emily Blunt's wife" hahahahah I meant sister) 😂

2 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I loved him in both of those movies! I love Julie & Julia. Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci were such a cute couple. I love how supported and how much they loved each other. His reaction when he walks into the kitchen to all the onions. When Julia's describing their day to her penpal with the "And Paul takes a nap." They were just as great in this movie too. I love Nigel explaining what working at Runway meant to him.

Meryl's acting in "Julie & Julia" always blows me away.  I can't get enough of it.  I'd watch a full 2 hour movie just about them!

• LOL 3
1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

(Sorry I wrote "Emily Blunt's wife" hahahahah I meant sister) 😂

I hoped that's what you meat. Although the other way would have made it more interesting. He stole Emily's wife and married her?

• LOL 3

I hate the scenes with her horrible friends and boyfriend. 

This is pretty much my point. Almost everything you like about the movie was invented for the movie. The weirdness with her friends and boyfriend came from the book. Though to be fair to the book, from what I remember, Andrea is awful and 

Spoiler

it makes sense that her friends are mad at her and her boyfriend leaves her. 

They made changes for the movie to make Anne Hathaway much more sympathetic. Like, her boyfriend is not a douchey chef in the book. I think he's a sweet intellectual, hipster-y type who is pretty supportive of her. I read the book a little while after it came out so my memory is hazy. 

• Love 1

I like The Devil Wears Prada, but I am tired of propping up the unlikable character. I would hate working for someone like Miranda, and I refuse to think i am some lazy slum for thinking such a thought. I am tired of anti heroes.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

I like The Devil Wears Prada, but I am tired of propping up the unlikable character. I would hate working for someone like Miranda, and I refuse to think i am some lazy slum for thinking such a thought. I am tired of anti heroes.

I don't think she's objectively unlikeable.  I think it's awesome to see an uncompromising, powerful, smart, ass-kicking woman leading so many people and responsible for so much money and influence.

• Love 2

Making an assistant find the unreleased manuscript of Harry Potter for the kids or else the assistant is fired goes beyond uncompromising professional, imo. But, yeah, let's bitch about the friends.

• Love 3
(edited)
50 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

Making an assistant find the unreleased manuscript of Harry Potter for the kids or else the assistant is fired goes beyond uncompromising professional, imo. But, yeah, let's bitch about the friends.

Good point!

But, Miranda gets the benefit of being played by the best actor in the world.  Meryl has charisma and likeability in spades no matter what she does.  And, I still hate Andy's 1 friend and boyfriend 😉  Her gay friend was totally fine and supportive of her career.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Good point!

But, Miranda gets the benefit of being played by the best actor in the world.  Meryl has charisma and likeability in spades no matter what she does.  And, I still hate Andy's 1 friend and boyfriend 😉  Her gay friend was totally fine and supportive of her career.

Yes she does. That really helped out a lot.  Also, Andy has a point when she says if Miranda was a man no one would care how he treated his employees or what hoops he made them jump through. Everyone would just say he's does a great job. Which honestly is true. A man does the same thing Miranda does? No one would say anything. Except how much money he made them. What a good job he did. But when a woman does the same thing she's called Ice Queen, a bitch, etc.  

• Love 6