Type keyword(s) to search

Romantic Comedies

• Start Topic

On 6/25/2023 at 1:07 PM, Scarlett45 said:

35 isn’t 50.

And 45 isn't 60, 55 isn't 70, etc.  This is a problem far beyond romantic comedies/dramas, where older women are generally invisible altogether, but where in the overall film landscape 55+ is treated as all the same for women, like after menopause there's this monolithic experience that if it's shown at all is in narrow, mocking terms, rather than showing how a woman's life in her 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s evolves, just like men of those ages, and just like women experience notable changes in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. 

Most romantic comedies/dramas suck for women, and one of the many ways is age.  Even if we started seeing the same hackneyed stories with older women, that would be progress. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
On 6/25/2023 at 10:04 AM, Scarlett45 said:

1 Why can’t women ever play their age? This happened to J.Lo in Marry Me, Gabrielle Union is 50- let her be 50! (And they give the older women roles to young women….umm no)

2 I just can’t take it, the “surprise” pregnancy trope

I think #2 answers #1.  Even when a baby doesn't play a part, I get the sense that they want women who look like they could be younger be younger because younger=fertile.  And if the couple gets together (or gets married), they want you to believe she could have a baby. 

Obviously, a baby played a part in this movie but even when it doesn't, I feel like the baby shadow is just lingering there.

I've been meaning to watch The Perfect Match but everything I read about it makes me hesitate.  I'm no stranger to infuriating romcoms but there's something nice about not knowing it'll infuriate me.

That said, I shouldn't be so picky when my latest romcoms have been from Turkey.  You Do You and Make Me Believe.  Perhaps I have lower standards for foreign romcoms made abroad.

• Like 3
(edited)

I just recently watched a movie called Language Lessons starring Natalie Morales and Mark Duplass, where she is providing Spanish lessons to Mark via Zoom. Shot during the pandemic, what I noticed is how it is shot like a romcom, but the relationship is strictly platonic. It reminds me of another recent movie, Half of It. Seeing the formation of an adult friendship is rare, and between a man and woman is even rarer. Granted, one of the characters tends to be gay, but is there a movie centred around a straight woman and straight man friendship?

Edited by memememe76
  • Like 1
(edited)

E!, like Hallmark, has gotten into the romcom game.  And while I should probably talk about these in the TV movies forum, I know we've briefly mentioned some Hallmark and Netflix movies here because that's mainly where romcoms are being placed these days.  So far, I've liked both I've seen.

But the main reason I came here is because tonight's movie, Maybe It's You, truly felt like the kind of movie that would have been released in a movie theater once upon a time.  The premise of it is basically like My Best Friend's Wedding if the Julia Roberts character weren't awful and the two best friends actually dated for a bit during a breakup.  Brett Dier, the male lead, had good chemistry with both of his love interests.  The whole supporting cast was strong.  And the script had some legit clever dialogue and moved at a brisk pace. 

Spoiler

And the ending felt right even if part of me wanted the two best friends to stay together, I think him being with his ex made sense.  And yet, it almost feels like it calls for a sequel because there's a little wistfulness in it as well.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

E!, like Hallmark, has gotten into the romcom game.  And while I should probably talk about these in the TV movies forum, I know we've briefly mentioned some Hallmark and Netflix movies here.  So far, I've liked both I've seen.

But the main reason I came here is because tonight's movie, Maybe It's You, truly felt like the kind of movie that would have been released in a movie theater once upon a time.  The premise of it is basically like My Best Friend's Wedding if the Julia Roberts character weren't awful and the two best friends actually dated for a bit during a breakup.  Brett Dier, the male lead, had good chemistry with both of his love interests.  The whole supporting case was strong.  And the script had some legit clever dialogue and moved at a brisk pace. 

Reveal spoiler

And the ending felt right even if part of me wanted the two best friends to stay together, I think him being with his ex made sense.  And yet, it almost feels like it calls for a sequel because there's a little wistfulness in it as well.

Thanks for the recommendation! I loved Brett in Jane the Virgin and don't believe I've seen him in anything since. Will have to check this out.

• Like 5
On 4/21/2023 at 10:32 PM, twoods said:

I hear Rye Lane on Hulu is good. Has anyone watched it?

I just watched Rye Lane and thought it was delightful. The leads are incredibly charming. It's about two people who randomly meet while they're both getting over recent breakups, then wander around the city for the day getting to know one another while going on minor adventures. They hit a snag, of course, but it's all really well done. There's also a surprising--though very brief--cameo that felt like a sort of passing of the torch moment.

At the other end of the spectrum is What's Your Number? from 2011 starring Anna Faris and Chris Evans. I gave it a shot because someone recommended it and I like both actors, but wow did I hate it. The premise was stupid and the characters were awful. I don't know how it managed to score as high as a 6 on IMDB.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

@krankydoodle I liked What’s Your Number quite a bit. 

I finally watched The People We Hate at the Wedding, with Allison Janey, Kristen Bell, Ben Platt and Cynthia Addai-Robinson. It was really funny! Cute, great supporting characters, I loved London and bought them as a family. 

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I liked What’s Your Number quite a bit.

Sorry! I kind of love Leap Year, which I know a lot of people dislike. I wouldn't argue that it's a good movie, but Amy Adams, Matthew Goode, some beautiful scenery, and a few romance tropes I enjoy are enough to make it work for me.

• Like 2

@krankydoodle it’s okay- we all like different things! I like to read others opinions here and get ideas on new rom coms to watch. I’ve always found Chris Evans charming (long before Captain America), and funny (I thought he brought the satire in Not Another Teen Movie). 

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I finally watched The People We Hate at the Wedding, with Allison Janey, Kristen Bell, Ben Platt and Cynthia Addai-Robinson. It was really funny! Cute, great supporting characters, I loved London and bought them as a family. 

I didn't know Allison Janney was in that (the little preview Prime keeps pushing on me just shows Kristen Bell and some guy I don't know).  Now I'm going to have to watch it.  I like Kristen Bell, but not enough to watch her in things that aren't my jam.  Allison Janney, though, I will watch in anything.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

I didn't know Allison Janney was in that (the little preview Prime keeps pushing on me just shows Kristen Bell and some guy I don't know).  Now I'm going to have to watch it.  I like Kristen Bell, but not enough to watch her in things that aren't my jam.  Allison Janney, though, I will watch in anything.

Yeah she’s hilarious! Check it out it’s an easy watch. 

• Like 2
On 9/16/2023 at 10:29 PM, krankydoodle said:

I just watched Rye Lane and thought it was delightful. The leads are incredibly charming. It's about two people who randomly meet while they're both getting over recent breakups, then wander around the city for the day getting to know one another while going on minor adventures. They hit a snag, of course, but it's all really well done. There's also a surprising--though very brief--cameo that felt like a sort of passing of the torch moment.

I don't remember if I mentioned this but I really liked this too. Very funny and also moving.

I saw The Other Zoey yestarday and I thought... it was okay. I hate it when the best friend gives the worst advice and this happens here and the premise makes the leading lady kind of an asshole 

Spoiler

she kind of deceives Zack and his family into thinking she is his girlfriend

but on the other hand she ends up with the guy I wanted her to end up with (there's a kind of a triangle) and there are some funny and touching moments.

• Like 4

Random thoughts of the day:

Sabrina 2024 Recasting who’s here for it? It’s been 30 years we deserve one!

Sabrina- Zendaya

Linus- Oscar Issac (I want there to be an age gap between he and Sabrina but not a gross one.)

David- Noah Centineo (he can do adorable, immature, sexy but non threatening). He also resembles Oscar Issac- I buy them as brothers. 

Daddy Fairchild- Harold Perrineau

Momma Larrabee -Candice Bergen (I’m fan wanking their dad was Latino)

Who would we get to play Daddy Larrabee??? Someone the contemporary of Candice Bergen who could poke fun at both of his sons in a non toxic way. 

We also need a love interest for Daddy Fairchild- let’s put Harold back with Regina Hall, but let’s make her the head of the Larabee social media/communications team rather than a household staff member. 

THOUGHTS?!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Constant Viewer said:

Hector Elizondo for Daddy Larrabee?

Or have Daddy Larrabee be Anglo and Rita Moreno could play the Mom. 

What about Pedro Pascal as David, or are they too close in age?

Pedro Pascal is 4yrs older than Oscar Issac- I thought of him as a Linus, but I decided against it because I liked Oscar better in a tuxedo. Pedro is TOO SMOOTH. Linus needs to be believable as a cold calculating tycoon. 

Rita Moreno- I like her! She was born in 1931, can she play a grandmother to the brothers? I like Hector too, but given their ages I see them more as grandparents to the brothers (both are over 80). I don’t want Linus over 40 if Sabrina is 25ish. 

• Like 2

I’m sitting down to watch Love at First Sight on Netflix. I’ll report back. 

Oh it was really good. One of the best rom-coms I have seen in a while. I liked the chemistry between the leads, the family as supporting characters, the style, the math, the narrator- very charming! 

• Like 2

Valentine's Day is here and so are the romcoms.  I hope to find one or two I enjoy but I will probably revisit a few that I haven't seen in a while, like Set It Up.  I'm happy Glen Powell has a theatrical hit with Anyone But You but I really want him to reteam with Zoey Deutch. 

Prime is first out of the gate with Upgraded starring Camila Mendes.  This was frustrating for me because I liked most of the story and I thought the cast was terrific (Marisa Tomei was a standout!) but they never quite dealt with the fact that the lead is a bit of an entitled sociopath.

I guess they were hoping surrounding her with a demanding boss and two people being absolutely terrible to her would make us not dwell on it too much but even though she was likable, she also kind of was not.  And I'm not sure how we got to the end we got.

• Like 3
On 10/1/2023 at 6:03 PM, Scarlett45 said:

On 10/2/2023 at 1:49 PM, Bastet said:

I finally watched this and didn't think it was anywhere near as funny as it should have been, and just okay overall.  I thought the actor playing the bride was a weak link, but the character was also woefully under-developed, so that didn't help her any.  I like that the family is the focus, with Kristen Bell's meet cute guy (Ted from Schitt's Creek) a minor thread, though -- that made the film worth watching.  I just wish it was explored via a better script.

• Like 3

Just saw Players that dropped on Netflix and don’t know if it’s because I had low expectations but I actually liked it. It had more heart than I thought it would, and Gina Rodriguez was fantastic. 

• Like 1

I tried watching Anyone But You because I like Glen Powell but gave up about 15 minutes in. I don't get the Sydney Sweeney hype. I haven't seen her in anything else but didn't think she had much screen presence here and didn't see any chemistry with Powell. To be fair, the writing didn't do her any favors. I rolled my eyes when the first scene was her being too embarrassed to ask her coworkers where the restroom is so instead she heads to a coffee shop where she promptly soaks the front of her pants in a faucet mishap. Then their 'feud' kicks off because of stupid choices and bad timing. I hate plots like this. Maybe my expectations were too high because of how well the movie did, or maybe I'm just too old/cranky to tolerate movies that hinge on this kind of misunderstanding.

• Like 2
(edited)

Did anyone else watch Irish Wish on Netflix? I liked Ed Speleers and Lindsay Lohan seems to have gotten some of her old spark back, but I thought it was pretty bad otherwise. I'm fine with a 'magical' premise in a rom-com, but the dialogue was often terrible/nonsensical. During a discussion about how the wedding cake won't fit into the delivery van, Lohan suggests they just make the cake smaller and multiple people react as though that genuinely never would've occurred to them. It's bizarre. Also, Lohan's friends are kind of awful and Jane Seymour's role is pointless. Having said all that, I think Speleers, Lohan, and the beautiful scenery make it watchable enough.

ETA: A harsh but hilarious review from Vulture: Netflix 'Irish Wish' is like AI-generated harbinger of doom

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Like 2

I lasted 20 minutes into Irish Wish- it was so bad

Watched Five Blind Dates on Amazon and it was surprisingly decent. It’s about an Australian woman who is supposed to find her soulmate with one of the 5 blind dates she goes on. It seemed to have a pretty decent secondary storyline with her relationship between her family, and her failing tea shop. 

Upgraded is next on my list. 

• Like 2
On 3/24/2024 at 9:24 PM, krankydoodle said:

I tried watching Anyone But You because I like Glen Powell but gave up about 15 minutes in. I don't get the Sydney Sweeney hype. I haven't seen her in anything else but didn't think she had much screen presence here and didn't see any chemistry with Powell. To be fair, the writing didn't do her any favors. I rolled my eyes when the first scene was her being too embarrassed to ask her coworkers where the restroom is so instead she heads to a coffee shop where she promptly soaks the front of her pants in a faucet mishap. Then their 'feud' kicks off because of stupid choices and bad timing. I hate plots like this. Maybe my expectations were too high because of how well the movie did, or maybe I'm just too old/cranky to tolerate movies that hinge on this kind of misunderstanding.

I bit the bullet and watched it on Netflix just to see what all the fuss is about. It didn’t seem any different than a direct-to-Netflix romcom…no, I take that back, because there are some direct-to-Netflix romcoms that I actually like.

And if I have to hear “Unwritten” one more time…

image.gif.eb78ef0245c8bb6d2ac02aa62010b23e.gif

• Like 1