Type keyword(s) to search

Romantic Comedies

• Start Topic

I don't come back to this thread too often anymore because as Hollywood (mostly streaming services) have churned out more rom-coms, I don't want to be spoiled. But I'm chiming in to say I watched The Duff recently and for the most part, I really enjoyed it. Even if the actors were too old for their parts. As an old person, it makes it easier to watch, especially if they were going to objectify the male lead the way they did. I do think it was kind of low stakes but not every movie needs to be an angst-fest.

• Love 6
(edited)

I hate being spoiled too but I love this thread because most people are respectful.  I put spoiler bars around ANYTHING that needs to be spoiled unless I'm in the exact episode thread.  I can't stand knowing too much about a movie before I see it!

I prefer adult acting as teenagers rather than teenagers potentially ruining their childhood/lives but...... Robbie really does look too old in that movie.  LOL.  Mae looks fine to me.

Apropos of nothing, that new Royal boy looks exactly like Mae Whitman to me - especially how she looked around the "Hope Floats" era.

Here's some romantic comedies I've enjoyed or re-enjoyed lately

Corrina, Corrina (in honour of Ray Liotta) - Love this one!

How to make an American Quilt

The Lost City

Julie and Julia (Happy birthday Meryl Streep)

the aforementioned Hope Floats (oh I love this one) and directed by Forest Whitaker!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

I love Corrina, Corrina.  I feel like it's really underappreciated.  I did see the Lost City as well.  I wish that I had liked it more I guess.  I love Sandra but I felt like she was either too old or Channing was too young.  I get that may be the point but they didn't have any chemistry for me.  

I saw Moonshot, I thought it was very cute, interesting premise.

• Love 5
(edited)

I adore Corinna, Corinna.  They had such amazing chemistry.  

I remember the screen writer who I think also directed it saying she based it on her childhood dealing with her mother’s death.  She had wanted her Dad to marry the women he hired to take care of her but she was an elderly woman.  So as an adult she made changes to turn the story into a romance.

Flipped is an underrated coming of age romance.  

Edited by Luckylyn
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

That's awesome about Corrina, Corrina. Yes, a woman Jessie Nelson directed it.  I'm always making note of when I watch movies directed by women (or directed by non-white directors) because it's a lot more rarer than not, in Hollywood, unfortunately.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

Flipped is an underrated coming of age romance.  

Delightful film. Another wonderful movie in the coming of age romance category is 2005's Little Manhattan, starring a very young Josh Hutcherson. It's also a love letter to NYC.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

Delightful film. Another wonderful movie in the coming of age romance category is 2005's Little Manhattan, starring a very young Josh Hutcherson. It's also a love letter to NYC.

There’s also A Little Romance staring little Diane Lane.   That one is lovely.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Corrina, Corrina is one of the exceptions to my dislike of the genre; it's such a charming film.  When Ray Liotta died, of course the focus was on the many of his typical roles, and he performed them well, but I'll always prefer him in this little underrated gem.

• Love 8
(edited)

Saw Love and Gelato on Netflix, and I don’t understand why they keep making the awkward leads do even more awkward things in public. Who has a meltdown at a restaurant after one kiss with a guy? And then she throws a fit at a family lunch when she could have waited. Plus, she took off her glasses and was now cute and pretty so two guys liked her, but at least she didn’t straighten her hair (until the end and her fake wig looked awful) and actually knew Italian. What a waste on a movie filmed in such a beautiful location. 

Edited by twoods
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

I'm listening to the latest episode of the Lovett Or Leave It podcast and Lovett and guest Vanessa Bayer are doing a Which Is Worse? game of 90s rom-coms. They talk through it the same way that we've done here over the years (though they include Mrs Doubtfire as a rom-com which, no) and it reminds me how my position on problematic premises really boils down to a couple factors.

Sleepless In Seattle is a movie I can ultimately accept because the premise becomes perfect with one small adjustment: after seeing how touched Annie was by Sam's segment on the radio show Becky assigns her the story (she already makes an offhand comment about how Annie should write about it in the movie). Annie then does all the same things we see her do but now she actually meets Sam and Jonah in Seattle and they fall for each other. She can still flee out of guilt over having feelings for another man while engaged, meet up with Walter* in New York, ultimately break up after being honest with herself and goes to see Sam and Jonah at the Empire State Building.

In the podcast it was up against Never Been Kissed which is a movie I like but I think is the more problematic of the two because it boils down to Michael Vartan's character being attracted to someone he truly believes is a high school student. Yes Josie was really in her twenties but that doesn't matter. Her love interest admitted he was attracted to what he believed to be a teenager. Since it's a movie we're supposed to believe that he was really attracted to JOSIE and that they lived happily ever after. I just have a harder time reconciling the foundation for this relationship since I would always be wondering if he really was attracted to other students but was never in the position to voice or act on that attraction. 

*Even though many characters in the movie treat Walter like this big joke who isn't good enough for Annie I really appreciate that Annie doesn't actually believe this. She wasn't in love with him but she does believe him to be a wonderful man and if she could have forced herself to have those feelings I think she would have. Meg's sincerity when Annie tells Walter "I don't deserve you" is spot on. She's not trying to placate him while breaking up as so often happens in movies. It's a great character and acting choice.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

In the podcast it was up against Never Been Kissed which is a movie I like but I think is the more problematic of the two because it boils down to Michael Vartan's character being attracted to someone he truly believes is a high school student. Yes Josie was really in her twenties but that doesn't matter. Her love interest admitted he was attracted to what he believed to be a teenager. Since it's a movie we're supposed to believe that he was really attracted to JOSIE and that they lived happily ever after. I just have a harder time reconciling the foundation for this relationship since I would always be wondering if he really was attracted to other students but was never in the position to voice or act on that attraction.

I haven't seen Never Been Kissed in a long time and should have asked this back when everyone was talking about it several days ago, but can you (or someone else) remind me of something?  I seem to remember Josie's boss wanted to turn the story into the relationship between the teacher (Mr. Coulson) and Josie and, after she revealed herself to everyone, when Coulson was looking for her, he overheard her coworker say something like "What's going on with the teacher?".  I know he was feeling bad about having feelings for her because he never acted on it, so I got the feeling that he was upset because he thought she was trying to trap him for a big story.  Am I remembering it wrong?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Her love interest admitted he was attracted to what he believed to be a teenager. Since it's a movie we're supposed to believe that he was really attracted to JOSIE and that they lived happily ever after. I just have a harder time reconciling the foundation for this relationship since I would always be wondering if he really was attracted to other students but was never in the position to voice or act on that attraction. 

I don’t have a moral problem with an adult in their 20s being sexually attracted to someone in their late teens. I don’t even have a problem with a high school teacher finding a student in their late teens sexually attractive. 

For me the moral line is crossed when the adult or teacher is inappropriate or misuses their position of power to act on the attraction. (Or gives the student special favors or grades because of the attraction)

I think it’s super important to have strong boundaries in those situations because yeah, people who are close in age may find each other attractive but acting on it is inappropriate because of the reasons listed above. Attraction is a feeling, it’s what you do about it that matters. 

Josie was actually 25, with the emotions and intellect of a 25yrs old. No I’m not surprised he was attracted to her with all the time they were spending together. 

27 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I haven't seen Never Been Kissed in a long time and should have asked this back when everyone was talking about it several days ago, but can you (or someone else) remind me of something?  I seem to remember Josie's boss wanted to turn the story into the relationship between the teacher (Mr. Coulson) and Josie and, after she revealed herself to everyone, when Coulson was looking for her, he overheard her coworker say something like "What's going on with the teacher?".  I know he was feeling bad about having feelings for her because he never acted on it, so I got the feeling that he was upset because he thought she was trying to trap him for a big story.  Am I remembering it wrong?

I think Michael’s character was being a big ass man baby about that part. She was UNDERCOVER. You are not the center of the world dude. But yes that’s how I remember it too.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t have a moral problem with an adult in their 20s being sexually attracted to someone in their late teens. I don’t even have a problem with a high school teacher finding a student in their late teens sexually attractive. 

For me the moral line is crossed when the adult or teacher is inappropriate or misuses their position of power to act on the attraction. (Or gives the student special favors or grades because of the attraction)

I think it’s super important to have strong boundaries in those situations because yeah, people who are close in age may find each other attractive but acting on it is inappropriate because of the reasons listed above. Attraction is a feeling, it’s what you do about it that matters. 

Josie was actually 25, with the emotions and intellect of a 25yrs old. No I’m not surprised he was attracted to her with all the time they were spending together. 

I think Michael’s character was being a big ass man baby about that part. She was UNDERCOVER. You are not the center of the world dude. But yes that’s how I remember it too.

Thanks.  Yes, he was a bit of an ass, but if he thought that they were trying to get a story about a teacher having feelings for a student, then it makes sense that he was a little pissy.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Thanks.  Yes, he was a bit of an ass, but if he thought that they were trying to get a story about a teacher having feelings for a student, then it makes sense that he was a little pissy.

All the same, she refused to do that story because she knew it was unethical. Had he at least gave her the chance to explain instead of getting all self righteous and playing the victim, she could have told him that.

I’d also like to add that Rob was a total asshole for making Josie feel even worse, blaming her for exposing him when it was pretty obvious his whole “helping her get popular” was just a thinly veiled ploy to relive his glory days and scam on teenage girls.

And Josie’s boss? Also an ass.

Gosh, all the guys in that movie were total jerks.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Had he at least gave her the chance to explain instead of getting all self righteous and playing the victim, she could have told him that.

This is a trope I hate, but is utilized all the time. Gah.

And don't get me started on Rob. I was appalled at the way he snapped at her.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

This is a trope I hate, but is utilized all the time. Gah.

And don't get me started on Rob. I was appalled at the way he snapped at her.

Why she still helped get him the teaching job after that is beyond me. She should have just told him off for not helping her in their actual high school years when she actually needed it. I doubt he even beat the crap out of Billy for his cruel prom prank.

Maybe the movie would have been better if Sam figured out Josie was a student earlier on and agreed to help her hide her identity. As it is, the way he treated her after prom came off as an excuse to slut-shame and blame her for his supposedly illicit feelings.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Maybe the movie would have been better if Sam figured out Josie was a student earlier on and agreed to help her hide her identity. As it is, the way he treated her after prom came off as an excuse to slut-shame and blame her for his supposedly illicit feelings.

I think if they remade the movie today, the internet would make it much more likely for Sam to have known Josie was an adult (a friend of a friend or something) and I like the promise of her helping her undercover, and then they fall for each other. 
Or another way they could’ve done it would’ve been to have Sam be the contact on the “inside” who helped forge Josie’s transcripts etc.

• Love 7

Reading about the passing of James Caan , I remember the first movie I saw him him in where he wasn't a "tough guy".  It was Kiss Me Goodbye. I was a kid and it was a movie I watched with my mom on vhs . I haven't seen it in ages. My impression of the movie: Jeff Bridges was really cute and funny, the house was amazing and James Caan was tap dancing (!) and pretty cool.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, AstaCharles said:

Reading about the passing of James Caan , I remember the first movie I saw him him in where he wasn't a "tough guy".  It was Kiss Me Goodbye. I was a kid and it was a movie I watched with my mom on vhs . I haven't seen it in ages. My impression of the movie: Jeff Bridges was really cute and funny, the house was amazing and James Caan was tap dancing (!) and pretty cool.

Omg I totally forgot about that one! It was cute. Say what you must about James Caan but the guy was a versatile actor.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I did not watch HIMYF, but I've liked Suraj Sharma since God Friended Me, and this rom-com with him as a lead looks pretty and cute:

Edited by Trini
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

I miss God Friended Me so excited to see him in this.

Saw a cute romcom on Hulu called the Valet. It was better than I thought it would be and didn’t have the typical Hollywood romcom ending.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 7/13/2022 at 1:18 AM, Trini said:

I did not watch HIMYF, but I've liked Suraj Sharma since God Friended Me, and this rom-com with him as a lead looks pretty and cute:

Oh my god!  He is soooooo cute on HIMYF.

• Love 3

Yeah I felt like the misunderstanding was ridiculous, but at least the coworker called her out on being upset with a guy who was just supporting her and did nothing wrong. Both of her coworkers actually pointed out her ridiculousness when in other movies it would have been brushed off, especially when she was trying to push off her promotion on her boss and he pretty much told her “hell no, you deserve it.” It’s also refreshing to see someone not turn down a promotion because they didn’t want to move away from their family or love interest.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 5

I just watched Marry Me and it was super cute. Way more grounded and realistic than I was expecting. I also loved how much Spanish was spoken between J Lol and Maluma. They seemed like a cute couple before they imploded.

I also rewatched Simply Irresistible and that movie is even weirder than I remember lol. It still has a special place in my heart but so many strange things happen.

• Love 7

That’s how I feel about Love Potion Number 9. I still think it’s cute, but watching it now it’s so freaking weird and wondering why I watched it so many times in the past.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Wedding Season was so good! I've always thought the Suraj Sharma was cute, but this movie made him look sexy -- props to the costume/wardrobe department!

ETA:

I think my main dislike was near the end at the wedding when everyone was grabbing the mic to make declarations. It was just a little much - especially at someone's wedding reception!

Edited by Trini
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I finally watched Then Came You. As expected, Kathie Lee's acting wasn't great but it wasn't too terrible. I think someone needed to punch up the script. I appreciated the attempt at a more mature rom-com but this didn't quite there. A lot of lame jokes and just an overall lack of strong structure or motivation. The thing that makes rom-coms so enjoyable is the tropes and the structure and the familiarity. These characters never quite bickered properly. They got over it too quickly... but then they'd start sniping again for no good reason. Also, the two conflicts (rival fiancee and secret ancestry) weren't really there to drive the plot and were handled way too easily. But the movie is very pretty and charming enough. I just think she needed some help on the screenplay.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I know we've discussed this before, and even those of you who like this genre that I hate a good 90% of detest the ending, but it was on TV again as I was going around the dial, so I must reiterate: Sweet Home Alabama wastes a good cast and funny script on an utterly ridiculous ending.

Melanie coming to terms with her past, and marrying Andrew in her hometown rather than in NYC, then heading back to her life there with renewed relationships with her family and friends back in Alabama would have been a nice story, and the one that logically followed from what the film set up.  Melanie ditching at the altar a great man with whom she's in a great relationship - a man who, after initially freaking out upon being blindsided, understood why she lied about her past and readily agreed to integrate it into their present and future - to out of the ever-fucking-blue decide she's still in love with the guy she got knocked up by right out of high school is not just stupid but offensive. 

They weren't some great romance, she was just, as she said, the first girl to climb into the back of his truck.  To the extent they did love each other, they were kids, and only got married because she was pregnant.  She was relieved to miscarry, and he ultimately acknowledged that was indeed for the best because what he saw as some fun adventure would have been the end of the life she wanted.  They both came to terms, and were ready to move on individually.

And then suddenly, no, the fact he's the one making the glasses out of sand hit by lightning means something?  Please pass me whatever joint made that seem like a brilliant idea.

I hate this goddamn movie, because it has some terrific scenes - I love Melanie and her friend played by the terrific Melanie Lynskey, I love Melanie saying people need a passport to come down here, I love Candice Bergen telling Mary Kay Place to go back to her trailer and fry something and Melanie slugging her for insulting her mama, and I love beyond reason Melanie going to the dog cemetery to apologize to Bear - but squanders it all on a "happy ending" that makes not one lick of sense. 

I've read there's a tag that isn't included in the TV version that makes clear Melanie and Jake wind up back in NYC, so at least she doesn't shitcan her career on top of everything else, but even with that this movie sucks. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I know we've discussed this before, and even those of you who like this genre that I hate a good 90% of detest the ending, but it was on TV again as I was going around the dial, so I must reiterate: Sweet Home Alabama wastes a good cast and funny script on an utterly ridiculous ending.

Melanie coming to terms with her past, and marrying Andrew in her hometown rather than in NYC, then heading back to her life there with renewed relationships with her family and friends back in Alabama would have been a nice story, and the one that logically followed from what the film set up.  Melanie ditching at the altar a great man with whom she's in a great relationship - a man who, after initially freaking out upon being blindsided, understood why she lied about her past and readily agreed to integrate it into their present and future - to out of the ever-fucking-blue decide she's still in love with the guy she got knocked up by right out of high school is not just stupid but offensive. 

They weren't some great romance, she was just, as she said, the first girl to climb into the back of his truck.  To the extent they did love each other, they were kids, and only got married because she was pregnant.  She was relieved to miscarry, and he ultimately acknowledged that was indeed for the best because what he saw as some fun adventure would have been the end of the life she wanted.  They both came to terms, and were ready to move on individually.

And then suddenly, no, the fact he's the one making the glasses out of sand hit by lightning means something?  Please pass me whatever joint made that seem like a brilliant idea.

I hate this goddamn movie, because it has some terrific scenes - I love Melanie and her friend played by the terrific Melanie Lynskey, I love Melanie saying people need a passport to come down here, I love Candice Bergen telling Mary Kay Place to go back to her trailer and fry something and Melanie slugging her for insulting her mama, and I love beyond reason Melanie going to the dog cemetery to apologize to Bear - but squanders it all on a "happy ending" that makes not one lick of sense. 

I've read there's a tag that isn't included in the TV version that makes clear Melanie and Jake wind up back in NYC, so at least she doesn't shitcan her career on top of everything else, but even with that this movie sucks. 

You summed up my problems with the movie. Melanie is happy with her life in NYC and there's zero signs she thought of Alabama since she left. I didn't like Jake. He was a jerk to her every time they were on screen together. But he was secretly pining for her and the glasses were suppose to mean something. She moved on. She was marrying someone else. It would have been better if they went with what you suggested it. Returns home renews friendships and puts the past with Jake in the past and move on. I didn't like that Melanie lied to Andrew about everything.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I didn't like Jake. He was a jerk to her every time they were on screen together.

Exactly.  Whatever feelings she once had for this guy, why would she fall for him now, when he's a total jackass?  Even if she was single that would make no sense, but it's especially outrageous when she's in love with a man who's pretty much perfect.  Andrew loves her, respects her, is proud of her career, stands up to his mother over her, does not look down on her family or hometown despite, ya know, there being some reason to, and moves past his anger over being lied to pretty damn quickly because upon reflection he understands why she did it.

That scene where he comes to her parents' house, and she, instead of apologizing and begging to explain again like she'd done back at the battlefield when he took off on her, softly but proudly introduces her mom ("she makes the best jam in three counties") and says, "And this is our home, this is where I grew up" and he responds by introducing himself to her parents as "Melanie's fiancé - if she'll still have me" IS the movie -- she's reconciled past and present, and he wants her for who she really is.

Solidifying that by getting married in her hometown before heading back to their life in NYC would have been a lovely final scene -- I'd have skipped the ceremony and cut to the reception, with her fashion industry friends there among her childhood friends (we could have had flirtation between Bobby Ray and that one friend of hers), Andrew's mom a hilarious fish out of water, and a shot of Jake on the edges, raising a beer to her in congratulations and heading off with his dog.

That's what this charming film was leading up to, working its way onto my short list of exceptions to my dislike of this genre (in which women are a collection of sexist stereotypes and make illogical decisions for men who are not even close to worth it), and then at the last minute it turns into a Hallmark movie on steroids, where the big city gal realizes small town men have got it goin' on.   

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Solidifying that by getting married in her hometown before heading back to their life in NYC would have been a lovely final scene -- I'd have skipped the ceremony and cut to the reception, with her fashion industry friends there among her childhood friends (we could have had flirtation between Bobby Ray and that one friend of hers), Andrew's mom a hilarious fish out of water, and a shot of Jake on the edges, raising a beer to her in congratulations and heading off with his dog.

That would have been a lovely sequence. Instead Melanie got back with a man she clearly hates* and, just based on what we saw in this very movie, will likely end up divorced for real anyway. My guess is they have at least one more kid before the divorce. Given how they both were in the movie I expect a nasty custody battle as a bonus. 

The only way a Jake relationship would work is if there was no Andrew and we'd actually seen him try to reconnect or make their marriage work. Instead he sat on his ass for years doing nothing to win her back and then lucked out by their friends talking him up and sway Melanie's feelings. 

*If Melanie were real I'd point out to her that she misconstrues great hate sex with romantic love. I have no problem believing she and Jake had great hate sex but that's not the same as a forever relationship. 

• Love 5
On 6/16/2022 at 11:51 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Quoting MYSELF (vain I know) from the “Well that would not work now” thread:

We we’re discussing Never Been Kissed- and while I like it, and I think it’s precious, it dropped the ball on that aspect of its premise. Same thing with 40 years old Virgin which just went for the laughs but didn’t actually deal with the genuine feelings someone might have, if they don’t have any romantic/sexual/relationship experience far longer than what’s socially expected (especially if it wasn’t a conscious choice but a circumstance).

I think there’s a way to write that story that isn’t “incel” but doesn’t brush off the experience and it COULD be funny and heartwarming. I know there are a lot of people that could relate. Does anyone know any movies like this?

Hi @Scarlett45I was challenged to come up with my favourite movies about 'loners' so here are some more I thought of:

Edward Scissorhands, Joel from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, (I don't remember if he had much experience before Clementine),Sandra Bullock in "The Net" kind of seems like a hermit that never goes out - she kind of acted like a 2020 quarantiner.   There's also "Rain Man" - I genuinely really love that movie.  They don't really explore Raymond's love life, but he does dance, kiss, and go on a date.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Hi @Scarlett45I was challenged to come up with my favourite movies about 'loners' so here are some more I thought of:

Edward Scissorhands, Joel from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, (I don't remember if he had much experience before Clementine),Sandra Bullock in "The Net" kind of seems like a hermit that never goes out - she kind of acted like a 2020 quarantiner.   There's also "Rain Man" - I genuinely really love that movie.  They don't really explore Raymond's love life, but he does dance, kiss, and go on a date.

I love The Net. It was such a great movie. 

• Love 3
On 8/20/2022 at 8:08 PM, scarynikki12 said:

The only way a Jake relationship would work is if there was no Andrew and we'd actually seen him try to reconnect or make their marriage work. Instead he sat on his ass for years doing nothing to win her back and then lucked out by their friends talking him up and sway Melanie's feelings. 

Seriously. He visited New York ONCE and left without even talking to her. After that he just kept sending back the divorce papers until she went down to Alabama to confront him.

I know we were supposed to be all moved that he started that lightning glass business to become more successful to her, but….that doesn’t speak well of what he thinks of Melanie. He thinks she dumped him because he had no ambitions and wasn’t rich enough? That’s a shallow narrative and it just makes Melanie look worse by feeding into it. Like the only reason he was with Andrew was because he was rich, and not because he was kind and supportive.

Sometimes I hate romcoms.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Disappointed in That’s Amore and couldn’t last 20 minutes. Once the lead was a bitch to the nice chef for absolutely no reason I was out. Just because you lost your job and your boyfriend cheated on you doesn’t mean you have to be rude to someone nice, and she was also terrible to her mother. Why do they continue to give us these stories where we are supposed to believe that someone that is rude will somehow get the nice guy? 

• Useful 1
On 8/26/2022 at 2:26 PM, twoods said:

Why do they continue to give us these stories where we are supposed to believe that someone that is rude will somehow get the nice guy? 

I tend to hold the opinion that other viewers see these moments in a harsher light than I do.  And while That's Amore wasn't great, nothing really stuck out about it to me as a true barrier because when people are attracted enough to the other person, something like a little rudeness in the beginning usually doesn't stop them.

But if you thought That's Amore was bad, for the love of everything holy, stay far away from Love In The Villa.  Because even I, who usually 'whatevers' initial snarkiness, was kind of in abject horror at some of the stuff done in this "romantic" comedy.

I noticed that the movie was almost 2 hours which seemed a little bit long for a Netflix romcom.  At first, I thought that could be good since I like Tom Hopper and I like Kat Graham.  Throw in Italy and I had high hopes.  An extra 20 some minutes than usual?  Even better. 

But those extra 20 some minutes ended up being some weird detour in the middle of the romcom where the movie started to feel more like War Of The Roses (1989 movie) than the gentle romcom it started and ended as. 

I'll spoil this since it just dropped but:

Spoiler

She demanded he leave the double booking even though he was there first and a returning customer. 

But it seemed they had reached an agreement to share the apartment until her friend convinced her to convince the guy he didn't want to stay there. 

But instead of silly pranks, the first thing she did was let cats into the apartment even though she knew he was allergic to cats. Not only that but she put olives around him because she knew cats liked olives.  Since she didn't know how bad his allergy was, this struck me as a mild attempt at murder.  She then changes the locks on the apartment and when he tried to sneak in through the window, she has him arrested.

In retaliation to the unnecessary attack, he gives away her lost luggage (this was after the allergy attack which I think is fair), and posts her diary in the town square.  And he feeds her mushrooms but tells her it's horse.

Basically, her crimes are 10 times worse than anything he did--which he only did in retaliation for this unnecessary war she started. 

And the movie still has him make the first move towards an apology. 

All kinds of incredible.  Unfortunately, the movie doesn't get much better once it gets "back on track."  She gets mad at him for basically being in a very similar situation that she's in and acts like it's a betrayal.  And the end left me with so many logistical questions. 

And an apartment?  Not a villa.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I just watched 7 Days on Hulu which I enjoyed it even though it was kind of uneven. It helps that I love Karan Soni and Geraldine Viswanathan because it's really just the 2 of them on screen the whole time. Lockdown starts during their first date and he has to stay with her until he can get a rental car to get home. The last 30 minutes or so takes a more serious turn that didn't really work for me. The leads are cute together, but a little weird because I'm so used to seeing Geraldine paired off with Daniel Radcliffe on Miracle Workers where she hardly interacts with Karan.

• Like 1