Type keyword(s) to search

Romantic Comedies

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I forgot that was coming to Peacock.  I'll have to watch it this weekend.

I watched Something From Tiffany's with Zoey Deutsch and Kendrick Lamar Sampson. It's set during the holidays but the holidays are mostly backdrop.  Girl is a baker.  Guy is a writer.  They both have significant others.  So typical setup with a bit of a twist in that the guys end up swapping gifts which keeps bringing Zoey and Kendrick's characters in each other's orbit.

And even though the ending wasn't as strong as it could have been, my main takeaway is that Zoey is really really good at this romantic comedy thing. The charm of the leads really elevates a pretty basic story. 

I just finished watching this. I actually liked the ending a lot- the Doo W** group at the end was a cute touch. I thought the middle was kind of iffy (the set up was good, and the scenes of the present switch). I believed them falling for each other and no one cheated on their partner (which often takes joy out of these types of stories for me). I thought the daughter was used just enough, and I liked Terri (Rachel’s bff/co-owner). 

I do wish it had been FUNNIER, as I think the actors could elevate the material, but Kendrick seems to play “rom com lead” all the same way (he did a Hallmark one a few years ago; Fashionably Yours and I was getting deja vu). Nothing is beating out my love for Holidate and Holiday in Handcuffs for holiday rom coms lately. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I actually liked the ending a lot- the Doo W** group at the end was a cute touch.

I should have been clearer in that it was the last thirty minutes or so.  I thought Zoey dumping her boyfriend played out well once he realized this continuous lack of taking responsibility was there since the beginning.

The only problem is, Kendrick's character was guilty of the same thing with his girlfriend. And so I felt a little bad for her character because she's leaving one guy for another with a similar weakness. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I should have been clearer in that it was the last thirty minutes or so.  I thought Zoey dumping her boyfriend played out well once he realized this continuous lack of taking responsibility was there since the beginning.

The only problem is, Kendrick's character was guilty of the same thing with his girlfriend. And so I felt a little bad for her character because she's leaving one guy for another with a similar weakness. 

Yeah- that’s a big problem with having a both people be in a relationship when the story starts. If a relationship is serious enough where one party is going to propose, breaking that up and getting people into a relationship with someone else in 90min is rough. 

I understood Kendrick’s character a little better though- he did want to marry his girlfriend, he went to propose and was dumbfounded about what happened (he lost the ring trying to help someone). I get why he went to try and get the ring back first before telling her what happened and not wanting to ruin the moment. I thought Zoey’s boyfriend just screamed “douche” from scene 1. Not because he wanted to buy her earrings, but because he acted like being her boyfriend was a big inconvenience to him. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

get why he went to try and get the ring back first before telling her what happened and not wanting to ruin the moment.

Sure but he was also hiding wanting to come back to NY.  And basically went from wanting to propose to not being sure in the span of two weeks but then just going along with it yet couldn't stand behind the proposal once his girlfriend called him out on it.

Yes, her boyfriend was presented as the worst of the lot.  But Shay's character deserved better. 

And his little girl was all for him marrying her but switched so quickly.  I think I would have preferred the time jump to be to Valentine's Day where he reached out to Zoey instead of right away. 

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Sure but he was also hiding wanting to come back to NY.  And basically went from wanting to propose to not being sure in the span of two weeks but then just going along with it yet couldn't stand behind the proposal once his girlfriend called him out on it.

Yes, her boyfriend was presented as the worst of the lot.  But Shay's character deserved better. 

And his little girl was all for him marrying her but switched so quickly.  I think I would have preferred the time jump to be to Valentine's Day where he reached out to Zoey instead of right away. 

I understand what you mean and I agree. I think his daughter did like Shay and wanted him to be happy, but it’s clear he had a lot of chemistry Zoey. And of course partnered people come across others they are attracted to, but I think he wanted to marry Shay for his daughter, not for Shay. 

Waiting until Valentine’s Day probably would’ve made a better time line, and fit into the “holiday” theme of the movie. 

• Like 1
On 12/11/2022 at 1:32 PM, Irlandesa said:

My sentiments exactly.

Also, Ethan giving the same ring to Rachel at the end kind of struck me as wrong. Tiffany’s rings are gorgeous and all, but why would you want a ring that he originally bought for another woman?

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

My sentiments exactly.

Also, Ethan giving the same ring to Rachel at the end kind of struck me as wrong. Tiffany’s rings are gorgeous and all, but why would you want a ring that he originally bought for another woman?

Yeah it was the same ring! 

I just watched Notting Hill and what a bad movie. Over the years I heard that is was so lovely and charming and other than the supporting cast who were great, Anna was awful. Just unapologetically terrible and confusing.

William was a complete doormat throughout. Didn't matter what happened or how she acted, he just kept going back for more. The constant breaking up and getting together was so tiring. Also the movie had like ten endings.

What a letdown.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

For those of you who liked Holidate, the person who wrote that movie wrote another one starring Emma Roberts you might want to check out.  It's called About Fate. Emma plays a woman dumped by her boyfriend the day before her sister's New Year's Eve wedding.  Thomas Mann plays a guy who is on the verge of proposing to his influencer girlfriend but she doesn't want him to do it until she can maximize the social media value of the proposal.  They keep running into one another in some coincidental and "fateful" ways.  And she eventually asks him to pretend to be the boyfriend who had just dumped her.

There were many things about the movie that felt unfinished and didn't wholly work.  But it also hits highs that I enjoyed very very much.

And thusly, I don't know if I can fully recommend the movie but I also would never tell you to avoid it.  But for the Holidate likers, you might be like me and wish the movie were more complete/rethought a bit but also not regret the time spent watching it.

It's on Amazon Prime.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 12/12/2022 at 8:26 PM, Spartan Girl said:

My sentiments exactly.

I think they considered the ring the thing that brought them together, and therefore it was actually good luck for them.  It brought them to each other.

I really liked the movie, and as @Scarlett45said, the leads actually had chemistry.  That's a big thing for these movies.

The soundtrack was off the wall amazing.

On 12/14/2022 at 10:58 PM, blugirlami21 said:

I just watched Notting Hill and what a bad movie. Over the years I heard that is was so lovely and charming and other than the supporting cast who were great, Anna was awful. Just unapologetically terrible and confusing.

William was a complete doormat throughout. Didn't matter what happened or how she acted, he just kept going back for more. The constant breaking up and getting together was so tiring. Also the movie had like ten endings.

What a letdown.

Notting Hill is one of my favourites, but I get why you think William is a doormat.  But that movie drives me crazy, I love it.

On 12/10/2022 at 4:38 PM, Scarlett45 said:

(he did a Hallmark one a few years ago; Fashionably Yours and I was getting deja vu). 

I hated this one, lol.  I just found it so boring.  Kendrick is so handsome I glad he got this movie Tiffany's because it's way better.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3
22 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

For those of you who liked Holidate, the person who wrote that movie wrote another one starring Emma Roberts you might want to check out.  It's called About Fate. Emma plays a woman dumped by her boyfriend the day before her sister's New Year's Eve wedding.  Thomas Mann plays a guy who is on the verge of proposing to his influencer girlfriend but she doesn't want him to do it until she can maximize the social media value of the proposal.  They keep running into one another in some coincidental and "fateful" ways.  And she eventually asks him to pretend to be the boyfriend who had just dumped her.

There were many things about the movie that felt unfinished and didn't wholly work.  But it also hits highs that I enjoyed very very much.

And thusly, I don't know if I can fully recommend the movie but I also would never tell you to avoid it.  But for the Holidate likers, you might be like me and wish the movie were more complete/rethought a bit but also not regret the time spent watching it.

It's on Amazon Prime.

Thanks. I’ll check it out!

I just watched Something From Tiffany's and it was so cute. I agree with Ms Blue Jay about the ring, it's literally the thing that brought them together. I thought it was perfect that he gave it back to her. She also prob was in possession of it and loved it far longer than his former fiance.

I liked that there was no cheating, they obviously felt some sparks but they stayed committed to their so's which is how it should go. Daisy was adorable as well. I'm definitely adding this to my list of favorites.

• Like 3

I loved both Something From Tiffany’s and About Fate (Tiffany’s was better IMO). Both had a nice storyline and good chemistry with the leads. Thank you Amazon Prime!

Edited by twoods
  • Like 4

I watched A Christmas Bride after dodging it for years and it was really good. If Runaway Bride and She's All That had Christmas baby it would be this movie. The leads had great chemistry and the storyline had some interesting twists and turns.

Holiday In Handcuffs and 12 Dates Of Christmas are also great annuals on my list. I like the weird ones ;)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I watched While You Were Sleeping yesterday and I know the premise is probably too problematic in this day and age but I absolutely love it. Lucy just melts your heart. She's so lonely and while she fell in love with a pretty face, she really just wanted his family. And then Bill and Sandra's chemistry is off the charts, so cute.

This lonely type of character is one that Sandra does sobwell. Margaret from The Proposal feels like a older, sadder version of Lucy.

• Like 8
9 hours ago, blugirlami21 said:

I watched While You Were Sleeping yesterday and I know the premise is probably too problematic in this day and age but I absolutely love it. Lucy just melts your heart. She's so lonely and while she fell in love with a pretty face, she really just wanted his family. And then Bill and Sandra's chemistry is off the charts, so cute.

This lonely type of character is one that Sandra does sobwell. Margaret from The Proposal feels like an older, sadder version of Lucy.

Didn’t think the premise was that problematic because Lucy didn’t violate any of Peter’s boundaries. She only looked through his things and realized he had a cat, and went to feed it. (I liked that part)She didn’t use his coma for any financial gain, and she didn’t go through with marrying him. The audience (and even Peter/his family) are upset but they understand why she perpetuated the misunderstanding. As an only child with deceased parents, you get why she was so lonely at the holidays. 

I think even in 2022 it falls in “misunderstanding” not “villainous action that ruins the protagonist”. But I love this movie and watch it the last week of every year so I’m bias. 

• Like 9
On 12/23/2022 at 8:56 PM, blugirlami21 said:

I watched A Christmas Bride after dodging it for years and it was really good. If Runaway Bride and She's All That had Christmas baby it would be this movie. The leads had great chemistry and the storyline had some interesting twists and turns.

Holiday In Handcuffs and 12 Dates Of Christmas are also great annuals on my list. I like the weird ones ;)

What year is this movie and is there an alternate title?  I can't find it.

I watched Last Holiday for Christmas. There's much less romance than I remembered. It really just bookends the movie. Though I appreciate that other people are attracted to her on her holiday even if they aren't viable rivals for the main love interest. It's much more "chick flick" than "rom com."

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Didn’t think the premise was that problematic because Lucy didn’t violate any of Peter’s boundaries. She only looked through his things and realized he had a cat, and went to feed it. (I liked that part)She didn’t use his coma for any financial gain, and she didn’t go through with marrying him. The audience (and even Peter/his family) are upset but they understand why she perpetuated the misunderstanding. As an only child with deceased parents, you get why she was so lonely at the holidays. 

I think even in 2022 it falls in “misunderstanding” not “villainous action that ruins the protagonist”. But I love this movie and watch it the last week of every year so I’m bias. 

Having Saul find out the truth early helped Lucy as well. He promised to tell the family and smooth the way and she believed him because he was the beloved family friend and she the stranger. She didn't anticipate him refusing to tell them because he also wanted them to be Lucy's family. Only a few days passed between Lucy firing Saul and the almost wedding to Peter and we saw how hard it was for her to get a word in with the family when they were all together. At the altar when no one was talking ended up being the only time she could tell everyone at once. I do like how the family didn't seem upset when the truth came out, other than Peter dating married Ashley, which speaks to how they truly had embraced Lucy as one of them. They'd heard her when she said how lonely she'd been, how much she loved them, and how sorry she was. All of them being there when Jack proposed to Lucy was a lovely end to the story. Yes it's a rom-com so we get the happy ending for the couple but the bigger happy ending is Lucy getting the big crazy family she'd always wanted. Great movie.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Having Saul find out the truth early helped Lucy as well. He promised to tell the family and smooth the way and she believed him because he was the beloved family friend and she the stranger. She didn't anticipate him refusing to tell them because he also wanted them to be Lucy's family. Only a few days passed between Lucy firing Saul and the almost wedding to Peter and we saw how hard it was for her to get a word in with the family when they were all together. At the altar when no one was talking ended up being the only time she could tell everyone at once. I do like how the family didn't seem upset when the truth came out, other than Peter dating married Ashley, which speaks to how they truly had embraced Lucy as one of them. They'd heard her when she said how lonely she'd been, how much she loved them, and how sorry she was. All of them being there when Jack proposed to Lucy was a lovely end to the story. Yes it's a rom-com so we get the happy ending for the couple but the bigger happy ending is Lucy getting the big crazy family she'd always wanted. Great movie.

Yes I agree. It also gave someone for Lucy to play off of as her “honest self”. Peter falls on Christmas Day on his way to see his family and Jack comes to propose New Year’s yes? I do hope they had a long engagement! Lol but it was a very happy ending. I’m also a Chicagoian and I love having the city as a character. 

• Like 1

I'm going to try and finish Something from Tiffany's because of y'alls reviews, but honestly, I'm not really liking the female lead so far. She's like the kind of person that annoys me in real life; or maybe it's the actress?

I don't think it's been discussed in this topic, but just wanted to give a hearty recommendation to Mr. Malcolm's List. It's lovely; go see it.

Everything you'd want from a rom-com or period rom-com. 10/10, zero notes. Writing, sets, costumes, just lovely; perfect.

(And there is a topic for it in the main Movies forum.)

• Like 4
On 12/29/2022 at 1:10 AM, Trini said:

I don't think it's been discussed in this topic, but just wanted to give a hearty recommendation to Mr. Malcolm's List. It's lovely; go see it.

Everything you'd want from a rom-com or period rom-com. 10/10, zero notes. Writing, sets, costumes, just lovely; perfect.

(And there is a topic for it in the main Movies forum.)

Yes I want to see it. I think we discussed it a while back when we were discussing Persuasion (Netflix) earlier this year.  

I’ve sat down for my yearly watch of While You Were Sleeping, and it’s as charming as ever. 

• Like 3
On 12/25/2022 at 11:19 AM, Scarlett45 said:

A Bride for Christmas, and it’s 2012 Hallmark. You can find it on Prime. 

I just watched "Four Christmases and a Wedding", 2017, also starring Arielle Kebbel.  It's adorable.  I recommend.

• Like 4

While you were sleeping is one of my favorite movies.  Reading everyone discussing it makes me went to watch it again. Lucy is adorable.  The non wedding where she tells the family she fell in love with all them in hysterical and heartbreaking at the same time. 
    Ticket to Paradise is steaming on peacock.     Watched it the other day it’s cute, a little dumb. The scenery is gorgeous.  The two leads Clooney and Roberts have zero romantic chemistry.  They seemed to me to have more of sibling vibe. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Shotgun Wedding is out on Prime.

Some movies I have rewatched this month that I still love:

Blended, The Holiday (counts as a New Year's movie), My Best Friend's Wedding, Definitely Maybe.

I FINALLY got through "Leap Year".  I have been trying to for years.  I just plain don't like that movie.  However, both Ireland and Matthew Goode look very good.

I rewatched "Marry Me" and I still like it.
I rewatched "The Hating Game" and I liked it less this time.

I saw "Romance on the High Seas" and "Holiday Affair" from the 40s and both were very cute.  I think "Meet me In St Louis" would count too right?  That one as well.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 5

I liked "Shotgun Wedding".  The reviews were bad, but I'm glad I watched it anyway.

I'm also enjoying "You People" on Netflix.  It's kinda like a new-school Meet the Parents.  There's romantic comedy stuff in there.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I liked "Shotgun Wedding".  The reviews were bad, but I'm glad I watched it anyway.

I'm also enjoying "You People" on Netflix.  It's kinda like a new-school Meet the Parents.  There's romantic comedy stuff in there.

Watched both tonight.

Parts of You People had me cringing and screaming “Shut up!” at my screen but I still enjoyed it.

Jennifer Coolidge was the best part of Shotgun Wedding

• Like 3

You People was so cringeworthy that I couldn’t stop laughing. It seemed like the actors had a blast making this. How did they keep a straight face through all the bickering?

Edited by twoods
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, twoods said:

You People was so cringeworthy that I couldn’t stop laughing. It seemed like the actors had a blast making this. How did they keep a straight face through all the bickering?

I'm glad you both liked it.  I'm not seeing great reviews, but I really liked it.  I really honestly thought Jonah Hill was so funny and great in it.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, twoods said:

I just watched it this morning, and I kept thinking "I'd love to see the outtakes of this".  Julia Louis-Dreyfus is so perfect at the mom's obliviousness.

I found it a letdown given the cast - and really wish it had more bite to it, not to mention some nuance - but I did get some good laughs out of it.  And loved when he finally went off on her dad and she did the same to his mom.

I liked the siblings - his sister and her brother - and would have enjoyed seeing a little more of them.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5

I watched You People and despite myself -- I went in with a fair amount of skepticism, I really liked it.

I thought it was quite funny.  Some really great lines Jonah Hill, Eddie Murphy and Julia Louis Dreyfuss really carried.  I also thought Amira's brother was a well conceived character.  They got the tone of the irrevent son just right and he delivered.

I wish they'd allowed Nia Long and David Duchovny more to do.  I thought they were wasted.

And the ending felt rushed and a little pat. 

But overall it was a great cast and the movie was fun. 

• Like 6
18 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I wish they'd allowed Nia Long and David Duchovny more to do.  I thought they were wasted.

I agree.  Especially Nia Long, who I've loved since her Guiding Light (and, of course, Boyz n the Hood) days.  I thought one of the best moments in the film was a seemingly little thing, when her character saw her daughter upset after the confrontation with her future mother-in-law, and before she went after Amira, she first asked the MIL if she was okay.  She had NO obligation to extend that woman any courtesy, given all that had happened and that her baby was clearly in distress, but she instinctively did.  It's a few seconds, but she played it perfectly.

• Like 7

I noticed that too, it was so classy.  Also I was glad that Eddie had kind of an age appropriate partner.  Only 9 years age difference, lol I'm impressed.  And Julia and David are the exact same age.  I always love seeing stuff like that.

It's always fun to see David and Nia even though they didn't have much to do.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 5
19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I thought one of the best moments in the film was a seemingly little thing, when her character saw her daughter upset after the confrontation with her future mother-in-law, and before she went after Amira, she first asked the MIL if she was okay.  She had NO obligation to extend that woman any courtesy, given all that had happened and that her baby was clearly in distress, but she instinctively did.  It's a few seconds, but she played it perfectly.

Yup.  I noticed that bit too and I loved it.

One of the reasons I didn't outright dislike Shelly was the private convo in the kitchen when Ezra brings Amira to meet them for the first time, even outside of her cringey culture objectification, she was genuinely thrilled for them and genuinely welcoming of Amira.  it felt like an authentic moment that worked as ballast from some of her more awful ones.

• Like 5

Watched you people last night.  It was okay.  I did not really like how the things said about/ against Jewish was played for laughs.   It could have been more even handed imo.  
The ending was rushed and I don’t see this couple staying together.  When the mom was saying inappropriate things the fiancé took it out on the guy.  When the dad was being mean to guy he kept it in.   That is a recipe for disaster. 

I saw a cute movie on Prime called Finding You about a violinist who goes to Ireland on a summer abroad program and falls in love with a movie star who is filming out there. The leads had nice chemistry and Ireland was absolutely gorgeous.

• Like 3

America's Sweethearts is my favorite Julia Roberts movie by far. I think it was too quirky to be commercially successful honestly. But it's really great.

I was really looking forward to You People and it was a mixed bag for me. It was more uncomfortable than funny for me which is saying something because I thought it was really funny for the most part.

It just went so far and so hard that it wasn't fun to watch at times. While Ak deserved his smackdown, I felt like the one they had Amira give Shelly was mean. I never felt like she treated her like a toy/novelty or that she ever came from a place of malice.

The ending was incredibly rushed, I hated that that was their wedding. Feel like it should have been a rehearsal party do over.

Their breakup was also too easy for a couple that was so in love and their time apart was like they were friends that kind of missed each other. Idk the end was a letdown. I wouldn't watch it again.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, blugirlami21 said:

America's Sweethearts is my favorite Julia Roberts movie by far. I think it was too quirky to be commercially successful honestly. But it's really great.

That's interesting, I find it so straightforward!  But I guess people felt that the commentary and satire of Hollywood was too inside baseball for them.  I just love it.

5 hours ago, blugirlami21 said:

I was really looking forward to You Again and it was a mixed bag for me. It was more uncomfortable than funny for me which is saying something because I thought it was really funny for the most part.

It just went so far and so hard that it wasn't fun to watch at times. While Ak deserved his smackdown, I felt like the one they had Amira give Shelly was mean. I never felt like she treated her like a toy/novelty or that she ever came from a place of malice.

The ending was incredibly rushed, I hated that that was their wedding. Feel like it should have been a rehearsal party do over.

Their breakup was also too easy for a couple that was so in love and their time apart was like they were friends that kind of missed each other. Idk the end was a letdown. I wouldn't watch it again.

I think you mean You People?

17 hours ago, blugirlami21 said:

I’m going to disagree. Yes, it didn’t come from a place of conscious malice, but that did not make her behavior okay by any means. Amira was right to call Shelly out on all of it, especially when Shelly had been given ample opportunity to correct herself only to keep putting her foot in her mouth.

Although it was hypocritical of Amira to be upset at Ezra for not standing up to his mother for crappy behavior while she didn’t do anything about her dad steamrolling over him. Wish that had been acknowledged.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 3

Just watched You People. Didn't hate it but I thought it tried way too hard to deliver its social messages. Preaching to the choir. The cast was impressive though, especially the cameos at the synagogue at the beginning of the movie.

• Like 2

There's all these memes going around about how uncomfortable they look on the red carpet together promoting this movie, but I have to say, this complaint really annoys me.  They're actors doing a job.  I don't need them to make out with each other on the red carpet to sell a film.  Some of my favourite romances with the most chemistry ever, I have never seen the two actors together in real life and I missed the promotion altogether (like 2005's Pride and Prejudice for example).  People need to get a grip.

People are honestly saying that they need to really sell it like Oscar Isaac and Jessica Chastain.  Anyone remember him licking, smelling, kissing Jessica's armpit to sell their mediocre HBO series?  LOL.  I am not interested in seeing married actors do that as much as some other weirdos.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 7