Type keyword(s) to search

Romantic Comedies

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I just watched 7 Days on Hulu which I enjoyed it even though it was kind of uneven.

Ooh.  I've been wanting to see that but it wasn't streaming anywhere.  I have Hulu, though, so I'll get to that this weekend.

• Like 1

Interesting conversation about Sweet Home Alabama.

I never thought that Melanie was so happy in New York or with Andrew in particular. I think she was living a lie there for a really long time after she miscarried and kind of ran away there. I also got the sense that everything Andrew knew about Melanie was a fabrication.

I really liked that she had to confront the family and friends she left behind. Her mom in particular kind of broke my heart.

Andrew was great, I think he did his absolute best with how hard he was blindsided but I didn't think it was realistic that he still wanted to marry her. He didn't even know who she was. She didn't know who she was.

Was Jake perfect? Absolutely not. But I thought part of her returning was her having to also drop her misconceptions about Jake as well. The narrative she created in her head didn't allow him to grow beyond the backwater country boy she had to marry when she fell pregnant. Half the stuff he did and said was really him leaning into caricature of a person that she still thought he was.

For me the point of the movie was her learning that she could love and appreciate her country roots and not be embarrassed and still be successful and authentic. I don't think she was ever meant to be with the disposable fiance though lol. Is there a movie where that happens? Mileage may vary obviously. This made me want to watch Sweet Home Alabama so thanks for that lol.

Now I did watch Look Both Ways on Netflix and boy did that movie infuriate me. So the premise is basically Sliding Doors twenty something edition. Girl either finds out she is pregnant or not the night before heading off into adulthood. The baby daddy is a close friend. One scenario she is pregnant and moves back home to have the baby and the other she's not pregnant and heads of to Cali to live her dream of becoming an animator.

The not pregnant storyline is pretty good, she gets a great job, meets a handsome guy, she's successful, etc, etc.

However the pregnancy storyline 🙄 She's miserable ofc. She lies around like a lump every day, not working, not drawing or creating, she doesn't go out with friends. She acts like being pregnant means that your life is suddenly over. Ofc we have the obligatory unrequited love from the baby daddy which she rejects because reasons. I wanted to throw a brick at her. And then the ending is both timelines just continuing? It didn't make any sense. Don't watch it lol.

• Love 2
On 9/3/2022 at 7:09 AM, krankydoodle said:

The last 30 minutes or so takes a more serious turn that didn't really work for me.

I agree.  I loved the first part of the movie.  They had a good chemistry/rapport.  Total opposites.  It did leave me wondering how they'd work in the real world but I still bought them.

But that last 30 minutes did take a weird serious turn.  I still liked it but the fact that this all took place over 7 days had me going "this is not how COVID works." It's especially jarring when the last 30 minutes probably takes place over only 4 days.

• Like 1
On 9/7/2022 at 11:08 PM, tribeca said:

I watched look both ways the other day pretty sure the mom time line she wrote a successful children book.  

She was ultimately successful in both timelines. It was her pregnancy and early years as a mom that irritated me. She acted like she couldn't follow her dreams because she got pregnant

• Like 1
On 9/1/2022 at 11:42 PM, Irlandesa said:

But if you thought That's Amore was bad, for the love of everything holy, stay far away from Love In The Villa.  Because even I, who usually 'whatevers' initial snarkiness, was kind of in abject horror at some of the stuff done in this "romantic" comedy.

That’s sad because I like Kat Graham. 

Im sitting down to watch Wedding Season, my vacation starts this week and I need some soothing romcoms today. 

Edited to add- I’m feeling so drained and blah this evening. Not sick but just like crap. So I popped on He’s Just Not That Into You, it’s back on Netflix and it’s one of my favs. If that and a lap cat doesn’t make me feel better nothing will. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 2

So I watched Wedding Season- I thought the female protagonist was a little flat, I liked the guy, and the family of supporting characters, but I didn’t really get her deal (outside of her commitment to her work). 

I decided to turn on Love in the Villa just because. Not that I don’t trust you guys but I need emotionally easy right now. 

Edited to add- Love in the villa is boring. So boring. Sad cause they are attractive and it’s set in Italy. 

• Love 2
Just now, Scarlett45 said:

I decided to turn on Love in the Villa just because. Not that I don’t trust you guys but I need emotionally easy right now. 

No explanations or justification necessary.  I think all of us romcom fans have decided to overlook not so great things just to enjoy what we enjoy*!  And I'd be rewatching if the love story had drawn me in. 

But it didn't so I make fun of the ridiculousness of it all.

*Although I don't know why romance fans have to justify liking fantastical or improbably depictions of romance.  It's fiction!

• Like 1
Just now, Irlandesa said:

No explanations or justification necessary.  I think all of us romcom fans have decided to overlook not so great things just to enjoy what we enjoy*!  And I'd be rewatching if the love story had drawn me in. 

But it didn't so I make fun of the ridiculousness of it all.

*Although I don't know why romance fans have to justify liking fantastical or improbably depictions of romance.  It's fiction!

It was so bad though! I had to turn it off. Damn shame such a bad script with such pretty people. 

9 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

It was so bad though! I had to turn it off. Damn shame such a bad script with such pretty people. 

Ha.  So now I feel shamed for watching until the end.

(Just kidding.  Not really.  It was worth it to talk about the what the fuckery of it all).

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I love Kat Graham so was disappointed you guys didn’t like it, and since I trust your judgement I’m not even going to try. After Wedding Season I was hoping the romcoms after that were going to be just as good. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

See, I can accept the 21st century language in this period piece because it's a straight comedy (and telling a different story based off the source material):

Rosaline, coming to Hulu:

Meet Romeo's ex. #Rosaline starts streaming October 14. "Rosaline" is a fresh and comedic twist on Shakespeare's classic love story "Romeo & Juliet", told from the perspective of Juliet's cousin Rosaline (Kaitlyn Dever), who also happens to be Romeo's recent love interest. Heartbroken when Romeo (Kyle Allen) meets Juliet (Isabela Merced) and begins to pursue her, Rosaline schemes to foil the famous romance and win back her guy. Cast: Kaitlyn Dever, Minnie Driver, Christopher McDonald, Bradley Whitford

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Uh…I’m going to be the odd person out and say no. I know it’s meant to be a parody movie, but did these guys even read the play? Rosalind wasn’t even Romeo’s ex, she was a girl he was basically stalking (because she rejected him) until he met Juliet.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I am sitting down for my recent ritual of Saturday night rom coms and came across Do Revenge:

Popular Drea wants revenge on her boyfriend for publishing her sex tape, and exchange student Eleanor is haunted by a rumour. The two teenagers team up to take action against their tormentors.

Camilla Mendes is Drea and I recognized her from The Perfect Date and Riverdale (although I’m not a watcher I have seen clips). I wonder if this is a rom com or straight comedy. I will report back. 

Edited to add: this was NOT a rom-com but it was quite funny and the script was well written. I’d check it out. There was a teeny bit of romance. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

The movie was a tribute to all the teen girl comedies we grew up with:

Spoiler

Clueless, Mean Girls, Heathers, The Craft, Cruel Intentions. 

It was basically a pastiche of other movies.  That kind of annoyed me, but I still liked it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
On 9/23/2022 at 4:20 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Uh…I’m going to be the odd person out and say no. I know it’s meant to be a parody movie, but did these guys even read the play? Rosalind wasn’t even Romeo’s ex, she was a girl he was basically stalking (because she rejected him) until he met Juliet.

I agree. Rosalind could and hopefully did a lot better then Romeo.

• Love 4

There's a new romcom take on Romeo and Juliet from the POV of Juliet's cousin, Rosaline.  Kaitlyn Dever is really good in it and her other love interest is hot but overall, I didn't get drawn in. The best part for me was Minnie Driver's "nurse."

The TV show got panned at the time but I much prefer the Rosaline story from Still Star-Crossed.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 10/15/2022 at 4:28 PM, Irlandesa said:

There's a new romcom take on Romeo and Juliet from the POV of Juliet's cousin, Rosaline.  Kaitlyn Dever is really good in it and her other love interest is hot but overall, I didn't get drawn in. The best part for me was Minnie Driver's "nurse."

The TV show got panned at the time but I much prefer the Rosaline story from Still Star-Crossed.

I loved Stil Star-Crossed.  I’m a sucker for an enemy to lover romance.  So sad it got canceled.  I think if it’d been on Netflix instead of ABC it may have had a better chance.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

wedding singer was really cute sweet movie.  
cook off I liked ok but would probably not watch again.  
I absolutely hated Jexi. The girl in the movie should have run far away.  The phone was supposed to make his life better but was so cruel and not even in a funny way. 

• Love 2

Wedding Singer is my favorite and I watch it at least twice a year. It never gets old.

Thanks for the heads up about Jexi.

For those that don’t mind reading subtitles there is a cute Korean romcom that just dropped on Netflix called 20th Century Girl. It was a very sweet story, but made me cry more than I’d want to admit. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 7

I saw "Ticket to Paradise" and "Bros"!

The reviews for the former were mediocre but let me just say, I thoroughly enjoyed both movies.  I was smiling throughout both of them.  I would definitely recommend. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6

I might say some parts of the initial Rocky movie can qualify imo as a romantic comedy:

Just paraphrasing quotes from memory:

We make a couple of sharp coconuts I'm dumb and you're shy

I don't know Adrienne I'ver never talked to no door before

Screams out the window, Yo Paulie! You're sister's gonna be late for dinner 

Why do you want to fight?  cause I can't sing or dance 

• Love 1

I finally watched I'm Your Man on Hulu. It's a German language movie so you'll need to be okay with subtitles. It's definitely on the weirder, quieter end of rom-coms. More like The Lobster or Ruby Sparks or Destination Wedding. I think it's more charming and less intense than any of those movies but if I said it was quirky like Amelie, it'd give you the wrong impression and I think you need to go into this movie with your calibrations pitched appropriately. 

It's very European. I found it consistently funny but not in a laugh out loud kind of way. The pacing is a little slow at times but it's worth sticking with it. The actors are charming and Dan Stevens is partially great in this role. It asks questions about the nature of love and humanity and loneliness and what we should expect in relationships but it never felt too heavy or philosophical to me. What I appreciated most is it very much felt like a movie that was written and directed by a woman and that prioritized the female character's POV. 

Spoilers but content warning for

Spoiler

1 sex scene with nudity, discussion of miscarriage, dementia

• Useful 4
36 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Has anyone seen the ads for Spoiler Alert? It looks like it might be a Rom com or more of a Romantic Dramedy. 

Dramedy definitely if not drama.  It's based on Michael Ausiello's memoir.  He is a long time reporter covering TV.  I believe he founded TV Line.  I think it will all come down to the movie's balance.  Spoiler alert for Spoiler Alert:

Spoiler

His real life husband got sick and died. The illness is hinted at in the trailer and it will depend on how long they focus on the happy times before the cancer hits.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Dramedy definitely if not drama.  It's based on Michael Ausiello's memoir.  He is a long time reporter covering TV.  I believe he founded TV Line.  I think it will all come down to the movie's balance.  Spoiler alert for Spoiler Alert:

Reveal spoiler

His real life husband got sick and died. The illness is hinted at in the trailer and it will depend on how long they focus on the happy times before the cancer hits.

Thanks. Why am I trying to make everything a RomCom??? Lol. 

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Thanks. Why am I trying to make everything a RomCom??? Lol. 

To be fair, the trailer really does com off like a romcom.  And it's directed by Michael Showalter who directed many comedies including The Big Sick.

• Useful 2

Love hard on Netflix was decent.   I did not  like the beginning and thought of giving up on it.  Glad I didn’t as it got better.  It’s definitely a one and done as I didn’t love it enough to watch it again.  
   As anyone seen barefoot on Netflix ?

Edited by tribeca
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, tribeca said:

Love hard on Netflix was decent.   I did put like the beginning and thought of giving up on it.  Glad I didn’t as it got better.  It’s definitely a one and done as I didn’t love it enough to watch it again.  
   As anyone seen barefoot on Netflix ?

Love Hard was cute, but I agree with you. I much prefer Holidate which is more a holiday movie than a Christmas movie. 

• Love 1

Cute teen movie on Hulu called Darby and the Dead. It was the usual cliche storyline about a social pariah who sees dead people who has to help a spoiled teen who died “move on to the afterlife.” Social pariah becomes popular and forgets who she really is- the usual stuff, but I liked the leads so it worked. I am wondering why the lead (who was the voice of Moana) hasn’t gotten more leads because she’s very good. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

Did anyone watch the Noel Diary? I watched it with my girlfriend's and we laughed a lot.  It was not great. Just some really odd moments, storyline choices, etc.

Also I hate cheaters. Please have your main be single and ready to mingle. Its so off putting watching a character "fall" for someone else when they have a fiance back home.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, blugirlami21 said:

Also I hate cheaters. Please have your main be single and ready to mingle. Its so off putting watching a character "fall" for someone else when they have a fiance back home.

That is one romcom trope I can't stand. I don't care how unlikable you make the "obstacle" love interest. If they are that unlikable I just question our Lead's tastes or wonder if the Lead is just one of those horrible people who can't be alone so they stay with whoever until they find a better offer. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9
On 12/7/2022 at 4:58 AM, blugirlami21 said:

Did anyone watch the Noel Diary? I watched it with my girlfriend's and we laughed a lot.  It was not great. Just some really odd moments, storyline choices, etc.

Yes I did! I talked about it in Holiday movies I think (and This is Us forum). I thought it was more of a romantic drama than a comedy.I have been LUSTING after Justin Hartley since 2001, and when they made his love interest a beautiful black woman who wore her curls in a pineapple at night, my evening was made and I spent the movie pretending this was me. 🤣

The first time she mentioned her fiancé I told my Mom "she doesnt want to marry that man!!", but yeah, she was a cheater. I wouldve preferred if they hadnt slept together before hand. Also I didnt care for his interaction with his Dad, there is no excuse for leaving your 5yrs old child under the care of someone who absolutely cannot take care of him properly, because you didnt want to "hurt her". From the sounds of things the only reason he ended up okay was because the neighbor next door stepped in as a caregiver. His mother was too sick to be a full time caregiver, and his father should've been there to take care of him, you know as that was his job, not the neighbors job.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I have been LUSTING after Justin Hartley since 2001, and when they made his love interest a beautiful black woman who wore her curls in a pineapple at night, my evening was made and I spent the movie pretending this was me.

Except when they had sex.  She goes into the hotel with curly hair. By the time they're having dinner, her hair is straightened for the sexy times she decides she's having (so the cheating was a very decided thing and the movie somehow thinks natural curls aren't sexy--booo!)  And then her curls are back when she sneaks out. 

6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Also I didnt care for his interaction with his Dad, there is no excuse for leaving your 5yrs old child under the care of someone who absolutely cannot take care of him properly, because you didnt want to "hurt her".

I agree.  That was not it.  He expected the son to step up and take care of the mother.  But then, the son left her and his dog in the car, out in the cold so I'm not sure he's any better.  I get it for maybe the first heavy conversation but he left them there for hourrrrs while they decorated.  Decorated!

Ultimately, I liked Noel (the character) a lot.  They did have chemistry.  But there was too much stupid for me to fully embrace the movie.  Plus, I didn't like that she didn't show up until 20 minutes into the movie.

And did we ever find out if she went to Europe to be a translator?  Or was she ready to NOT give that up for her fiance but give it up for her new famous author boyfriend?

• Like 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, twoods said:

I really enjoyed Ticket to Paradise. I watched because of the dynamic duo but it had a nice storyline and was hilarious. The beer pong scene made me cry because I was laughing so hard. 

I loved it too.  The bad reviews really make me roll my eyes.  I hate how every movie seems to have a vomit scene, and this movie soooooooo could have went there with all of the drunkenness.  I was so grateful that they didn't.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I forgot that was coming to Peacock.  I'll have to watch it this weekend.

I watched Something From Tiffany's with Zoey Deutsch and Kendrick Lamar Sampson. It's set during the holidays but the holidays are mostly backdrop.  Girl is a baker.  Guy is a writer.  They both have significant others.  So typical setup with a bit of a twist in that the guys end up swapping gifts which keeps bringing Zoey and Kendrick's characters in each other's orbit.

And even though the ending wasn't as strong as it could have been, my main takeaway is that Zoey is really really good at this romantic comedy thing. The charm of the leads really elevates a pretty basic story. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I forgot that was coming to Peacock.  I'll have to watch it this weekend.

I watched Something From Tiffany's with Zoey Deutsch and Kendrick Lamar Sampson. It's set during the holidays but the holidays are mostly backdrop.  Girl is a baker.  Guy is a writer.  They both have significant others.  So typical setup with a bit of a twist in that the guys end up swapping gifts which keeps bringing Zoey and Kendrick's characters in each other's orbit.

And even though the ending wasn't as strong as it could have been, my main takeaway is that Zoey is really really good at this romantic comedy thing. The charm of the leads really elevates a pretty basic story. 

I was thinking of seeing this- I have some down time this afternoon and will watch it after lunch!