Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Double Date

• Start Topic

Bad news first: I didn't pay attention much to Swoozie Kurtz in the pilot but saw her in this and...um, wow.  

Good news: this was a LOT better than the pilot overall.  Still wonky in some areas, but there was a better flow and the 4th wall breaking wasn't as jarring.  I felt the scene with Cheyanne and Mayim at the bar as they were setting up for their piano set made me think they were best buds in college.  

• Love 12

Better but still not sure about it long term. The asides to the viewers still bother me. But I did like the Karaoke scene and the interaction with the not-actually-a-date guy

• Love 5

I only saw bits and pieces of it yet, but that showed promise. I love all the self-deprecating humor. It's great to have another promising comedy show on the horizon with so many series being put on hold and receiving shortened seasons lately.

• Love 4

I think adressing the audience works better when she can do it to the same camera instead of turning around. They don't get the timing right between her shifting to face in a different direction and cutting to the other camera.

It was better than the first episode, especially the second half. However, I still think the mom was miscast - a bit more Emily Gilmore would have been nice - and Mayim, while bringing the right look and energy to the character, really lacks range in her comedic acting.

The music numbers were lovely and the banter was a lot smoother than the 4th wall stuff. It also suited the actors better.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 3

I agree, much better than the pilot.  Enough improvement to give the show a chance.  Still a lot of overacting, but the asides were much better.  But the whole waving at the end is just weird.  I guess it would be ok if just Kat did it, as she's our narrator, and I know this is from Miranda originally, but it doesn't work for me at all with the whole cast.

Since they're following the Miranda set up only loosely, I wish they had flipped the script and killed off the mom and had Kat's widowed father as her supporting family member.  A dad trying to set up a grown daughter is less TV trope than the mother, and would give a different dynamic that we don't usually see.  Also, Swoozie's plastic surgery issues aside, I don't buy Swoozie Kurtz as Mayim Bialik's mom at all - there isn't even a whiff of related DNA in that casting.  They really need to work in a line about Kat being adopted or the mom really being a step-mom from a very young age if they want me to buy into this relationship. 

I'll admit - I like the imaginary french girlfriend.  That's a quirky bit that works for me.  I hope if the real girlfriend ever appears, she's very different from Kat's imagination.  (This is Kat's imagination of her, right?  Or was there a picture of her in the first episode that Kat actually saw?)  Seeing a French version of Kat would be a great twist from the stereotypical tall, thin, hot modelesque French girlfriend. 

• Love 14
4 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Is the imaginary French girlfriend a permanent part of the cast? I was surprised to see her again. Her role is the weirdest part of an already weird show.

1 hour ago, chaifan said:

I'll admit - I like the imaginary french girlfriend.  That's a quirky bit that works for me.  I hope if the real girlfriend ever appears, she's very different from Kat's imagination. 

I feel that's where it's leading to.  I don't think we saw a picture of Bridgitte but Kat obviously feels she has competition with a woman that Max is no longer with.  Bridgitte will probably show up and not only look like that, it wouldn't surprise me that she ends up being the French version of Kat.

• Love 3

I agree with everyone saying this was better than the first ep but something is still off for me.  I love Mayim Bialik but not in this role.  She is the weak link here.  I'm not ready to quit watching yet because of the rest of the cast (minus Swoozie Kurtz who is just painful to look at) but I'm also going to check out the British show this was based on over the weekend to try and get a better understanding of what this is supposed to be, especially where that awkward waving bit at the end is concerned. 

• Love 3

This show is still trying too hard. Mayim is not great.

Things I like:

Like everyone else the French Girlfriend, and I also think she won't be that same actress.

Even though the Mom is kinda awful, and clueless. The two men she wanted to set Kat up with were Men who at the very least had jobs or interests inline with Kat. So she does know her daughter.

But since I am still WFH, I will put the show on while I'm working away.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, radiochik said:

I agree with everyone saying this was better than the first ep but something is still off for me.  I love Mayim Bialik but not in this role.  She is the weak link here.  I'm not ready to quit watching yet because of the rest of the cast (minus Swoozie Kurtz who is just painful to look at) but I'm also going to check out the British show this was based on over the weekend to try and get a better understanding of what this is supposed to be, especially where that awkward waving bit at the end is concerned. 

Swoozie looks like she needs an intervention.  Her face looks totally fake, because by now it is, and the anorexia is just sad, painfully sad.

I'm bingeing on Miranda now, and it's well worth the watch, IMHO.  Call Me Kat will make more sense when you see the original style of the show with the talking to the audience and the waving at the audience at the end.  Many Britcoms used to do that.

Did I mention that Miranda Hart and company are actually funny?

• Love 7

I agree that this episode was better than the first.  I actually laughed a few times.  I'm trying to be optimistic that it will find itself in time.  The 4th wall breaking went smoother and it doesn't bother me at all as I liked it in the British version.  I noticed that Miranda Hart was listed as one of the executive producers of the series.  I knew Jim Parsons was involved but didn't realize Miranda was also involved.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I knew Jim Parsons was involved but didn't realize Miranda was also involved.

I don't know how intimately she's involved with the series beyond being the original creator.  I believe that alone was likely enough to get her EP status.  I don't think she has much to do with the day-to-day running of the show. 

This episode was a little better but I already decided I'm willing to give it a lot of leeway. I still wish they'd go all the way by listing the cast with the waving goodbyes or drop that bit.  I still think the breaking the fourth wall bit feels more forced than it did in the original series.  I don't know if that's the acting or the writing.  

But I did think this episode had a better use of the cast.  They shared more screen time together.  

• Love 1

I just watched the first few episodes of the original Miranda and now I want Miranda Hart to play the French girlfriend if they ever show her her character. LOL

I laughed throughout the first episode of Miranda which I didn't do for Kat, but the second episode was better. Hopefully Kat starts to find it's own voice with time. Also the mom in Miranda fits the premise of the show better. I actually like Swoozie Kurtz but not in this. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

My favorite part was the ending when the cast all waved to the camera.

2nd favorite part was the piano duet. Does Mayim really play? She looked like she did. (Max did not.)

Better than the pilot. I did not like the "I don't tip" guy.

Edited by MaryMitch
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I just watched the first few episodes of the original Miranda and now I want Miranda Hart to play the French girlfriend if they ever show her her character.

That would be awesome!

• Love 3

I love the ideas about what to do with the imaginary (and real) French girlfriend character(s). Her not looking anything like how Kat imagined her would really  please me. 

I think Swoozie Kurtz is terrifyingly too thin, but I don't mind her character. I like that both times she came up with a guy, it was someone who Kat actually thought she might be interested in. It's too tropey if that's all there is to her that she wants to set up her daughter and get her married off, and I don't want that to become an on-going plotline. But I thought the way it was handled in this episode served to develop both her characterization and Kat's, in that we learned some more funny stuff about what Kat finds appealing, and we also saw that her mom knows that, and is simultaneously kind of annoying but also kind of endearing about it. Also, that she didn't clarify with the announcer what kind of meeting she was suggesting for him and her daughter was a surprise to me. It shows she's a little bit socially awkward, just like Kat is. I like that better than Kat being awkward while her mother is some kind of smooth socialite or whatever.

I think not tipping to prove a point is shitty, even though I agree in principle with every objection the dude had to tipping. I am also still working through my "that's Winston from New Girl!" residue. If they bring that character back, they need to establish more about him that separates him from his previous role.

I'm also ready for Leslie Jones* to move on from his repetitive whining about his ex. Give him another note to play.

I liked the episode enough to come back for more, though I still want to see more cats! Are cat numbers restricted due to covid? 

*his name isn't Leslie, Jones, is it? I can't remember his actual name or his character's name, but hopefully it's clear who I mean.

Edited by possibilities
7 minutes ago, possibilities said:

*his name isn't Leslie, Jones, is it? I can't remember his actual name or his character's name, but hopefully it's clear who I mean.

His name is Leslie Jordan but I knew who you meant.

Leslie Jones is another funny person. She was a member of SNL and other projects.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Leslie Jones is another funny person. She was a member of SNL and other projects.

Thanks! I am a big Leslie Jones fan, but I did mean Leslie Jordan! Too many letters in common in their names, even though they are completely different in both appearance and affect. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think not tipping to prove a point is shitty, even though I agree in principle with every objection the dude had to tipping. I am also still working through my "that's Winston from New Girl!" residue. If they bring that character back, they need to establish more about him that separates him from his previous role.

The show clearly thought that they were a lot more clever with his position there than they actually were. How do you not challenge him on the fact that him not tipping does NOTHING to address the issues he has with tipping! The only person who can fix the tipping situation at the cat cafe that he objects to is Kat, who has no idea why he wasn't tipping!

Ugh, it's one thing to have a character have a terrible position, but it's a whole other (more annoying) thing when the show clearly thinks that the position ISN'T terrible. 

Morris was otherwise great, though. How is he not a regular on a sitcom somewhere?

• Love 11

I dislike the non-tipping guy too. They're trying to make him seem charming but I wasn't charmed. Even without the tipping thing, Randi (and women) deserve better than a sanctimonious know-it-all. I don't know who wrote that storyline but it was insulting.

• Love 14

I am not liking the show so far. I will continue to give it a chance. However, I still find It impossible to look at Swoozie, too painful. She is severely anorexic and has had way too much work on her face. I have enjoyed her in other roles years ago but I truly can not look at her now without feeling extraordinarily uncomfortable. Why did they ever cast her? 

Edited by NoThyme
because
  • Love 2
On 1/8/2021 at 7:18 AM, Aulty said:

The music numbers where lovely

The musical performance was great but baffled as to why they referred to it as "karaoke" rather than open mic since there was no canned backing track, no video with lyrics, and each act accompanied themselves on piano. 

I enjoy the 4th wall and the imagined scenarios with Brigitte, but I do feel like I am watching everything with a shadowy memory of Miranda Hart imprinted over it. 

• Love 4
On 1/7/2021 at 9:35 PM, mtlchick said:

Bad news first: I didn't pay attention much to Swoozie Kurtz in the pilot but saw her in this and...um, wow.  

Good news: this was a LOT better than the pilot overall.  Still wonky in some areas, but there was a better flow and the 4th wall breaking wasn't as jarring.  I felt the scene with Cheyanne and Mayim at the bar as they were setting up for their piano set made me think they were best buds in college.  

Holy hell, how bad was the pilot for this one to be so much batter as many here have said? I was cringing at how bad it was basically from the first 30 seconds I saw and it didn't get any better. I did watch the whole episode, but I doubt I'll be watching anymore.  It's really sad that Mayim's was the worst character on the show, and honestly, not a good fit for the role at all. 

On 1/8/2021 at 5:35 PM, CrystalBlue said:

Swoozie looks like she needs an intervention.  Her face looks totally fake, because by now it is, and the anorexia is just sad, painfully sad.

She does really look ill. I know she's always been thin, but seriously, she just looks scarily thin now. And like someone else said, I'm not buying her as the mother either. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Holy hell, how bad was the pilot for this one to be so much batter as many here have said? I was cringing at how bad it was basically from the first 30 seconds I saw and it didn't get any better. I did watch the whole episode, but I doubt I'll be watching anymore.  It's really sad that Mayim's was the worst character on the show, and honestly, not a good fit for the role at all. 

She does really look ill. I know she's always been thin, but seriously, she just looks scarily thin now. And like someone else said, I'm not buying her as the mother either. 

I'm willing to give it a chance to find itself.  If it got that much better since the pilot let's see if that continues.  Mayim did a YouTube video reacting to the negative criticism toward the first episode.  I found it interesting but I see both sides.  I don't think they should have interpreted the show so literally from the original.  The things they lifted from the original seem to be the ones people are criticizing the most, probably because they are things that Mayim isn't the best at pulling off.  

I think Mayim is saying that they attempted to put a lot in the first episode and I agree, it was too much to cover and it came off awkward.  Also she mentions how hard it is to make a show during the pandemic.  I know that other shows I watch seem to be a little off this season and I've theorized that this could be the reason.

The fourth wall thing could be done better.  It's been successfully done on many shows for a while.  Yikes, even Groucho Marx and Woody Allen pulled it off.  The issue is that it is a little clunky here.  I found it came off a little better in the second episode so maybe we're on the right track.

A lot of TV series are awful in their first few shows and then find their stride as time goes on.  The cast is so good here (apart from Swoozie) that I find it worth sticking with for now.

I find Swoozie hard to watch too.  I never knew the actress before this but wow, she does look a lot worse now than only a few years ago.  Regardless of appearance, I don't like her in the role.

• Love 3
On 1/8/2021 at 10:09 AM, chaifan said:

I agree, much better than the pilot.  Enough improvement to give the show a chance.  Still a lot of overacting, but the asides were much better.  But the whole waving at the end is just weird.  I guess it would be ok if just Kat did it, as she's our narrator, and I know this is from Miranda originally, but it doesn't work for me at all with the whole cast.

Since they're following the Miranda set up only loosely, I wish they had flipped the script and killed off the mom and had Kat's widowed father as her supporting family member.  A dad trying to set up a grown daughter is less TV trope than the mother, and would give a different dynamic that we don't usually see.  Also, Swoozie's plastic surgery issues aside, I don't buy Swoozie Kurtz as Mayim Bialik's mom at all - there isn't even a whiff of related DNA in that casting.  They really need to work in a line about Kat being adopted or the mom really being a step-mom from a very young age if they want me to buy into this relationship. 

I'll admit - I like the imaginary french girlfriend.  That's a quirky bit that works for me.  I hope if the real girlfriend ever appears, she's very different from Kat's imagination.  (This is Kat's imagination of her, right?  Or was there a picture of her in the first episode that Kat actually saw?)  Seeing a French version of Kat would be a great twist from the stereotypical tall, thin, hot modelesque French girlfriend. 

Just as she was miscast as Melissa Mc Carthys mom on mike & molly. I actually Feel bad for her. She looks anorexic or terminally ill. Her speech is weird also. I hope someone is helping her. She does not look well, plastic surgery aside. The wig is not complementary either.  

I'm bingeing on Miranda now, and it's well worth the watch, IMHO.  Call Me Kat will make more sense when you see the original style of the show with the talking to the audience and the waving at the audience at the end.  Many Britcoms used to do that.

Where can you watch this?

• Love 2
22 hours ago, NoThyme said:

I am not liking the show so far. I will continue to give it a chance. However, I still find It impossible to look at Swoozie, too painful. She is severely anorexic and has had way too much work on her face. I have enjoyed her in other roles years ago but I truly can not look at her now without feeling extraordinarily uncomfortable. Why did they ever cast her? 

Yes she takes you out of the whole show because you can’t help but stare and think oh my god she’s really not helping me too like the show. She needs to be in a hospital not on a sitcom. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Yes she takes you out of the whole show because you can’t help but stare and think oh my god she’s really not helping me too like the show. She needs to be in a hospital not on a sitcom. 

3 hours ago, chediavolo said:

In Miya's interview she says that she is happy they picked her, a real looking woman, to play the part. They did not pick a thin, classically pretty woman. She doesn't even wear spanks! Then they go and cast Swoozie. Why not a real looking mom? Why not someone who looks like person not a cartoon character! 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Miranda can be seen on IMDB (Amazon's ad based service) and Hulu.  

It is free on Amazon Prime Video, which is where I watched all three seasons.  (Miranda Hart confirmed there is no Season 4.)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

It is free on Amazon Prime Video, which is where I watched all three seasons.  (Miranda Hart confirmed there is no Season 4.)

Thanks.  I didn't realize it was on Prime too.  I'm in the middle of a rewatch on Hulu but I have the ad supported level so the commercials annoy me.  

And yes, there are only three seasons (and specials) but the series ends nicely wrapped up. 

• Love 1

I feel like I'm biased about this show because I like Mayim and I like the concept of the show and the fact that it represents a segment of our society that often gets poked fun at and gives them (okay...us haha) a human face. This episode where she gets inadvertently rejected by both guys is just painful to watch and so relatable...and the scene where an extra pair of her underwear falls out of her pants...same thing happened to me in 4th grade when I walked across the classroom to turn in a paper...seriously thought I was the only one that ever happened to! 

But even being biased, I can see some of the less appealing aspects that might turn people off, like the constant talking at the camera. Maybe they are using a technique from the original show (never saw it), but it seems like lazy writing.

I actually don't mind Swoozie Kurtz. I was a little taken aback at her current appearance, but it fits the character somehow. I could see someone as appearance-conscience as Kat's mom having a plastic surgery habit.

• Love 7

Yes, binge watching Miranda definitely helped.  I am usually not a fan of slapstick and pratfalls, but somehow Miranda makes it look sorta charming.   You end up rooting for her rather quickly.  As for Call Me Kat, seeing what the aim is has really helped smooth out some of the rough spots.  And it certainly helps that 2nd episode Kat isn't quite as manic as she appeared in the premiere.  Less of a caricature of someone else, and more of a real breathing person.  I'm still not 100% sold, but I'm willing to give it a few more episodes.  Which I wasn't willing to do before I binged Miranda.  So great job there.

• Love 5
On 1/9/2021 at 8:57 PM, Snow Apple said:

And now I want Leslie Jones to play the French girlfriend.

Loved Miranda, but it was a while ago and I remember thinking after this first episode that the two shows were nothing alike.  Plus, I kept waiting for the mom to say something like, "Now,  I'm off to play a little game I like to call tennis.". Miranda:  " We ALL call it tennis, Mom. "  That always cracked me up.  I'm an easy laugh sometimes.  I think I'll rewatch Miranda...thanks for letting me know it's on Prime.

I thought the first episode had its moments, but I liked this second episode.  I'll keep watching.

• Love 6
44 minutes ago, Johann said:

Loved Miranda, but it was a while ago and I remember thinking after this first episode that the two shows were nothing alike.  Plus, I kept waiting for the mom to say something like, "Now,  I'm off to play a little game I like to call tennis.". Miranda:  " We ALL call it tennis, Mom. "  That always cracked me up.  I'm an easy laugh sometimes.  I think I'll rewatch Miranda...thanks for letting me know it's on Prime.

Such Fun!  

I am really amused by the French girlfriend that Kat imagines is apparently a reoccurring character, and it would be hilarious if/when we meet her she is totally opposite of how she images. Like she is just as awkward as Kat or is super athletic and only wears sweats or something. Then maybe imaginary girlfriend shows up and makes snarky commentary.

This was a definite improvement on the pilot, and if it keeps getting better this could be a fun little show. The actors are all quite charming, and I enjoy the fourth wall breaking and some of the wackier elements, like the imaginary French girlfriend and even the fourth wall breaking waves at the end, but it still feels awkward and forced, but its only episode two. I appreciate that its about a single woman pushing forty and while she is open to dating, she isnt super desperate to find a man. 

I am really going to want more cats though. Its a cat café, I expect cats in most if not all major scenes. 

The fourth wall breaking mixed with a single women who owns an animal themed café while trying to navigate dating and a disapproving family makes this feel like a really sitcom-y version of Fleabag

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I am really amused by the French girlfriend that Kat imagines is apparently a reoccurring character, and it would be hilarious if/when we meet her she is totally opposite of how she images. Like she is just as awkward as Kat or is super athletic and only wears sweats or something. Then maybe imaginary girlfriend shows up and makes snarky commentary.

That would be GREAT!  I love that idea 🙂 

• Love 2

I have been really sick and watched all of Miranda over the last few days. It was so funny. Call Me Kat has potential. Seinfeld is my all time favorite comedy but the first season was awful.

The British humor (or humor) in Miranda really works well, as it is all so British. 
In Call Me Kat, It just seem like the connections between the characters and/or the writing doesn’t work as well, which might be part of the disconnect for me.

In Miranda she had a huge crush on her college friend Tom Ellis, I mean Gary Preston, and when he showed up had all kinds of emotions whereas Kat was more of that’s my friend from college - so that tension was missing.

Also, in Miranda, her mom had more of a role versus Swoozie who was just kind of there.

Another thing that worked in Miranda was her side kick and manager of her store, they as a comedic duo were great.

At the end in Miranda, everyone showing up and waving was funny because it was ridiculous and usually involved dancing. Not sure when Call Me Kat was filmed, so after COVID could have been a factor.

Miranda had her fruit friends 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Love 2
On 1/9/2021 at 3:25 AM, Snow Apple said:

I just watched the first few episodes of the original Miranda and now I want Miranda Hart to play the French girlfriend if they ever show her her character. LOL

Definitely. 

Then they go and cast Swoozie. Why not a real looking mom?

She is appropriately aged. And while her style is very different from MB, she does fit what I think of as Southern Belle. (Is Louisville in The South? I'm Canadian.) It is even reasonable to think that she has faded and tried to hold on to her youthful glamour. Swoozie is a one-off.

And now I want Leslie Jones to play the French girlfriend.

Seconded!

On 1/8/2021 at 5:27 PM, Megan said:

This show is still trying too hard. Mayim is not great.

Things I like:

Like everyone else the French Girlfriend, and I also think she won't be that same actress.

Even though the Mom is kinda awful, and clueless. The two men she wanted to set Kat up with were Men who at the very least had jobs or interests inline with Kat. So she does know her daughter.

But since I am still WFH, I will put the show on while I'm working away.

I think the French girlfriend popping up is so funny and I really want it to be someone who is the opposite of what Kat has imagined, too. 

And yes, I do like that Kat's mom does at least consider her daughters interests. 

On 1/9/2021 at 8:44 PM, possibilities said:

I love the ideas about what to do with the imaginary (and real) French girlfriend character(s). Her not looking anything like how Kat imagined her would really  please me. 

I think Swoozie Kurtz is terrifyingly too thin, but I don't mind her character. I like that both times she came up with a guy, it was someone who Kat actually thought she might be interested in. It's too tropey if that's all there is to her that she wants to set up her daughter and get her married off, and I don't want that to become an on-going plotline. But I thought the way it was handled in this episode served to develop both her characterization and Kat's, in that we learned some more funny stuff about what Kat finds appealing, and we also saw that her mom knows that, and is simultaneously kind of annoying but also kind of endearing about it. Also, that she didn't clarify with the announcer what kind of meeting she was suggesting for him and her daughter was a surprise to me. It shows she's a little bit socially awkward, just like Kat is. I like that better than Kat being awkward while her mother is some kind of smooth socialite or whatever.

I'm also ready for Leslie Jones* to move on from his repetitive whining about his ex. Give him another note to play.

I liked the episode enough to come back for more, though I still want to see more cats! Are cat numbers restricted due to covid? 

I have seen "Winston" is a couple of things and he's definitely not quirky or goofy like he was in New Girl. Same here, so I'd be interested in seeing him as a recurring character. I agree with you re: objecting to the principle of tipping but not doing anything about it besides not tipping people who rely on that is beyond pointless. 

I don't like Swoosie Kurtz as the mom. I have seen a lot of mention about plastic surgery, which I'm sure she's had. But are we sure she's not sick or recovering from a stroke or something similar? I like to see actors recovering and playing parts again. Is that what's happening? 

• Love 1

Enough of an improvement from the first that I will definitely keep giving it a chance. The whole bar sequence with Kat and Max (Matt? Max? not sure) finally showed me how these two were friends before and I liked that relationship. They still need to tone down Kat's social awkwardness, I know that's supposed to be her "thing" but it's too much and makes me not believe anyone would ever want to have a second interaction with her after meeting her. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, TOWTooMuchTV said:

Enough of an improvement from the first that I will definitely keep giving it a chance. The whole bar sequence with Kat and Max (Matt? Max? not sure) finally showed me how these two were friends before and I liked that relationship. They still need to tone down Kat's social awkwardness, I know that's supposed to be her "thing" but it's too much and makes me not believe anyone would ever want to have a second interaction with her after meeting her. 

She's not always socially awkward, right? But when she's talking to a potential suitor, it's painful to watch. Too bad because it's refreshing to see that she has friends and seems happy with her life. 

Also with Matt/Max (not sure either) she has great chemistry when they're doing something fun that they both enjoy. She gets awkward (ridiculously clumsy and silly) when she has to make conversation. It feels kinda forced. The children in the Himalayas conversation was just awful.