Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: The Balmoral Test

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Stick to discussion of the episode, please. Discussion or mention of future events is NOT ALLOWED in episode topics, including mention of individuals who have not yet appeared or events that occur in future decades. Posts will be removed; repeated violations may incur further sanctions.

• Start Topic

40 minutes ago, Helena Dax said:

who doesn't bring outdoor shoes to the country?

Thatcher was a daughter of a shopkeeper, so she had perhaps never been in the country. However, she could have asked advice beforehand but perhaps she was too proud to do that.  

• Love 11
11 hours ago, Lillith said:

I do am however skeptical that Mrs. Thatcher would be quite so clueless about what goes on in Balmoral, i.e. not bringing outdoor shoes.

I kind of agree.  The woman is savvy enough to become Prime Minister, but she doesn't have anyone around to advise her about royal protocol? 

I did laugh when Thatcher wondered whether she and her husband would be allowed to share a bed, when they were each given their own. 

• Love 21

Not gonna lie-I fast forward the stag wounded and covered my eyes during the skinning scene. Yes, I’m a weenie.

And it’s hard to get a sense of how Charles feels about Diana. He seems charmed, yet he’s less than enthusiastic when talking about her to Camilla. And sound resentful like his Daddy, when telling her how Diana passed the test with flying colors.

I really wanted to hear the dialogue when Thatcher was cleaning house, instead of the music with the me. Flailing and screaming.

But. I do LOVE the scenery! It’s been many years since I’ve been to both Scotland and Ireland, and I’ve wanted to go back, but can’t for the foreseeable future, dammit.

• Love 23

Well, her attitude at the games is apparently pretty much in line with who she was. Thatcher was sneering at pretty much everyone, and she was very "english", in the worst sense of the word. Frankly, this attitude towards Scottland is pretty common in Westminster.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
24 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

His emotional neediness is so intense and exhausting. The constant propping it needs is something I could never keep up. Anne calling him Eeyore was perfect.

At least Eeyore had Pooh and the Gand to cheer him up. Does Charles have any friends or confidantes his own age?

It IS exhausting watching him. 

• Love 16
4 hours ago, Lillith said:

Both Gillian Anderson and Emma Corrin are killing it. And both really worked on the voices and mannerisms of these two women. I'm enjoying this because it's finally a part of history I actually recall. I never thought I'd feel empathy for Margaret Thatcher and I know Princess Margaret was also and awful snob in real life. I do am however skeptical that Mrs. Thatcher would be quite so clueless about what goes on in Balmoral, i.e. not bringing outdoor shoes. How the Royals spent their time in Scotland was fairly well known, so while some of the intricacies probably would have been lost on the Thatchers, I don't buy there were quite that clueless. Same thing they did with Jackie Kennedy, who was a stickler for ettiquette herself so I never bought she'd not know precedence, etc. The rest of the cast, as usual is bringin their A game. I felt Olivia Coleman was a tiny bit awkward last season, but she's got it down now. 

Same. She's shown to be a meticulously prepared hard worker. But she gets to Balmoral and she doesn't have a clue? Its just like the scenes with Lyndon Johnson not knowing which fork to use. I get that its for exposition but its insulting to both Johnson, who was a sharp and savvy politician, not some rube, and Thatcher, who, love her or hate her, was not naive. 

1 hour ago, Ellaria Sand said:

The writing for Diana is interesting. IMO, she is depicted as making all the right moves to ingratiate herself with the family. My interpretation of her scenes in this episode is that she knew what she wanted - clearly, what she thought that she wanted - and knew how to play the game. For now! And Charles can’t be honest with anyone, including himself. Yikes! It is almost painful to watch.

I knew that the writing would make 18 year old Diana a conniving minx. She was a teenager who'd been crushing madly on Charles for years and couldn't believe her luck. And he lapped up her dewy adoration. 

And seriously, Diana was an Earl's daughter who'd been around the royal family, at least peripherally, most of her life. This representation of her as some kind of Eliza Doolittle is annoying. She knew how to act, at least in a general way.  

9 minutes ago, Capricasix said:

Diana’s step-grandmother, I believe, was a famous romance novelist named Barbara Cartland.

Yes, her daughter Raine was Earl Spencer's second wife. 

• Love 24
3 hours ago, Ellaria Sand said:

I absolutely HATE the hunting scenes in this show. Yes, I am aware that the royals are hunters. And yes, I understand the symbolism of hunting/killing the stag. Regardless, watching that beautiful creature walking wounded thru the woods was heartbreaking.

I am not against hunting irl, but I didn't like if the stag was wounded on purpose just to get those scenes filmed.  

4 hours ago, Bananna said:

However, I do think the show is doing a disservice in not showing why members of her cabinet were rebelling. Hopefully this changes, because I'm worried the show is just telling us about what made Thatcher the political juggernaut rather than showing us.

There were some critique about her inexperience, but they are also against her decision to cut the budget in many areas which would lead difficulties to many people.   

So far, I haven't liked these aristocratic politicians who thought they are better simply because of their birth and elite schools and university. But now I found that Thatcher's opponents had more compassion towards ordinary people than she. Thatcher was never ideologically a Conservative, rather a Radical in her own way. 

9 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I'm pretty sure the stag was CGI.

I really hope you are right. 

• Love 8
56 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Best part was the “Good shot, sir!” to Philip in the perfect suck up voice, then cheekily asking him if the stag was wounded on the left like she said.

Was that what they were talking about? I thought they were talking about wind direction. I really need to turn on subtitles for this show. 

I liked seeing a normal couple react to all the bizarre protocols and odd pastimes.  I liked when Denis made a remark that he didn't realize that Margaret was listening to him on the plane, since she wasn't looking at him.

The snobbery was terrible, and I felt badly for the Thatchers.  I'm surprised that she could leave early without repercussions.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, peridot said:

I liked seeing a normal couple react 

The snobbery was terrible, and I felt badly for the Thatchers.  I'm surprised that she could leave early without repercussions.

I suspect the royals were glad to see them go. LOL.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Dani said:

Was that what they were talking about? I thought they were talking about wind direction. I really need to turn on subtitles for this show. 

Me too!  (And it made no sense because you could SEE the wind direction due to Diana's hair blowing in the wind.)  It think the hypothesis (above) that they were debating which side the deer was wounded on makes MUCH more sense.

4 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

So glad this show is back. I've really enjoyed the first two episodes.

That being said, I am very much in the minority because I'm not blown away by Gillian's portrayal of Thatcher. She isn't terrible or anything, but based on the interviews and speeches I've seen, I don't think the voice or delivery are right. I also find her body language to be very odd. I feel like Thatcher is being portrayed as if she's in her 70s instead of in her 50s. 

I'm also in agreement with those who find it difficult to believe that Thatcher would have been so clueless on her first trip to Balmoral. Nothing about that felt believable to me. Not only do I think that she would have done her research, but there would have been plenty of people who would have given her the right advice. Making a few small mistakes on their first trip to Balmoral is fair enough, totally understandable, but they went really OTT with the fish out of water aspect in an effort to contrast the Thatchers with Diana's perfect visit. 

Even with those complaints, I've enjoyed all of the scenes with Thatcher and Elizabeth and look forward to seeing more.

I’ll join the minority, because I think Anderson’s portrayal is off too. I think she’s having a problem getting the voice right and it’s overly husky and somewhat hesitant. I think you got it right with her acting a woman in her 70’s, not the Iron Lady. Also, despite her upbringing, I think it impossible for a senior member of the Tory Party to be unaware of the folkways of the British upper classes.

I’ll also agree with the poster who said the portrayal of Charles hunched over and head down while part of his personality, is way overdone to the point of caricature.

• Love 11

Why is Gillian Anderson playing Margaret Thatcher like a geriatric?  Whatever you think of her politics, Thatcher was demonstrative in her presence and robust in her speaking style.  Nothing at all like the crackling and halting manner of speech here, or the labored mannerisms (no pun, sorry).  Give me Meryl any day.

• Love 18
7 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Diana’s step-grandmother, I believe, was a famous romance novelist named Barbara Cartland.

Diana hated both her stepmother Raine and Raine's mother Barbara to the point of excluding Barbara from the wedding.

7 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Yes, her daughter Raine was Earl Spencer's second wife. 

Diana's mother Frances left her father (Earl John Spencer) for a married man (who, decades later, dumped her for a younger woman). The Earl got custody of the kids and married Raine several years later. A year or so into his second marriage, the Earl suffered a major stroke and Raine spent months by his bedside nursing him back to health. After that, he was devoted to her for the remainder of his life, even though she and Diana never got along.

5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I'm pretty sure the stag was CGI.

No way Netflix is going to risk the media's wrath by actually wounding an animal.

1 hour ago, peridot said:

If the PM says there's a crisis (and having multiple Ministers going on TV and suggesting you be replaced certainly qualifies), the Queen can't exactly say "No, there's not."

I hope this season features more meetings with Elizabeth and Thatcher. Colman and Anderson ever-so-politely tearing into each other is a joy to watch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
37 minutes ago, TV Glotzer said:

Why is Gillian Anderson playing Margaret Thatcher like a geriatric?  Whatever you think of her politics, Thatcher was demonstrative in her presence and robust in her speaking style.  Nothing at all like the crackling and halting manner of speech here, or the labored mannerisms (no pun, sorry).  

Yeah, Anderson is a bit too General Grievous here.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Btw, can anyone explain the dibby, bibby (or whatever) game to me and what exactly Thatcher did wrong?

The rules re explained here:

https://www.realbeer.com/fun/games/games-165.php

I don’t remember exactly what Margaret Thatcher did wrong, but according to the rules, you have to be quick about it, because the whole point is that if you go extremely slowly you are more likely to get the sentence correctly. Thatcher was excruciatingly slow about reciting and therefore took the fun out of her turn. I don’t know if she made any errors in usage.

• Useful 16
  • Love 8
33 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Btw, can anyone explain the dibby, bibby (or whatever) game to me and what exactly Thatcher did wrong?

I watched it a couple times to get the gist of it. Each person has a number and is an “ibble-dibble.”  They start by saying who they are, than how many stamps “dibble-ibbles” they have on their face, which they get any time they mess up. They then pass it on and call to someone else in the game. 

The scene started with Anne, Number 5. “Number 5 ibble-dibble (Anne) with one dibble-ibble (face stamp) calling number 4 ibble-dibble (Phillip) with two dibble-ibbles.”  The stamp gets passed to Phillip and then he starts it over again with “Number 4 ibble-dibble....” and so on. Apparently it’s a drinking game too, because the Queen Mum took a swig when she couldn’t get the tongue twister. 

Margot passes to Thatcher, who didn’t have any face stamps and had probably not yet been called. She got through it, but painfully slowly, and part of the game was quickness. They snottily made of her because she took so long. 

Edited by Lsk02
  • Useful 10
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I didn't appreciate her attitude at the Braemar Games. She doesn't have to like the event, but those people are part of her constituents whether she likes them or not. She's as much of a snob in her way as anyone else. 

Yeah, I've seen some commentators/reviews acting like Thatcher's attitude at Balmoral is meant to be the one the audience wholly sympathizes with, but she was dreadfully snobby toward what looked like a very fun local athletics competition. 

36 minutes ago, swanpride said:

I gather the point of the game was to say it really fast and with some degree of heedlessness as to whether you were getting it all right; whereas she repeated it really slowly and exactingly in such a way that may have been technically correct but deflated all the energy in the room.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 17
4 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Yeah, I've seen some commentators/reviews acting like Thatcher's attitude at Balmoral is meant to be the one the audience wholly sympathizes with, but she was dreadfully snobby toward what looked like a very fun local athletics competition. 

It's a situation where both sides felt they were too good to associate with the other side.  Though it did seem that unlike most of her family, the Queen actually appeared to be trying in terms of acting welcoming to the Thatchers. 

• Love 17
Just now, txhorns79 said:

It's a situation where both sides felt they were too good to associate with the other side.  Though it did seem that unlike most of her family, the Queen actually appeared to be trying in terms of acting welcoming to the Thatchers. 

Until it came to hunting. The Queen had no time for heels and blue dresses when it was time to hunt. Ha!

I do suspect the conversation in the car when Thatcher talked about her fun being work may have had something to do with Elizabeth’s sudden exasperation with Margaret, too. She got the subtext and wasn’t thrilled with the insult. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I was really surprised at this. I get they wanted to play up the differences between Thatcher and the BRF, but I find it nearly impossible to believe Thatcher brought no suitable outdoor clothes. They would probably be the wrong clothes—i.e., not ancient Barbour jackets and ratty sweaters and the like—but she really had nothing?

I didn't appreciate her attitude at the Braemar Games. She doesn't have to like the event, but those people are part of her constituents whether she likes them or not. She's as much of a snob in her way as anyone else. 

Did Thatcher really think the queen did nothing but stalk and play parlor games at Balmoral? She acted like she was the only who did any work.

Though I enjoyed her sacking most of her cabinet. The worst of them were truly awful. So condescending!

His emotional neediness is so intense and exhausting. The constant propping it needs is something I could never keep up. Anne calling him Eeyore was perfect.

The Diana stuff feels a bit rushed, but then again, according to Diana herself, she and Charles saw each other only 13 times before the wedding. From some angles, Emma Corrin looks nothing like Diana, and from others it's almost uncanny.

It was driving me crazy where I'd see the actor playing Lady Fermoy (Diana's grandmother)—it's Geordie Glen, who I know as Miss Higgins (Dr. Turner's office assistant) from Call the Midwife. Interesting that she's playing a similar sort of role here!

Omg Thank You!  I couldn’t for the life of me remember where I’d seen Geordie Glen!  Dr Turners office assistant!  I can sleep now. Lol. 

• Love 9