Type keyword(s) to search

MAFS Social Media, Spoilers & Speculation

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, endure said:

Why is there no thread for this season, can we just start one?

In the people article it said it starts on the 18th I think, so maybe why?  
And why didn’t the experts show us who they matched up with the last guy….  Or did  I quit watching and missed it?

3 hours ago, endure said:

OK what the heck, I am really confused here.  Last night according the write up was supposed to be one of those Kevin Frazer shows but instead what I got was the first episode of the new season……anyone else.

also bizarre is we have already been spoiled about the one guy being left at the alter but on the episode they matched up all the couples except him!  AND the gal they had picked for him was not even shown anywhere in the episode which I thought was bizarre, so crazy I rewatched thinking maybe I fell asleep and missed  her!

Nope! You didn't miss a thing. They never named or showed the match for Michael. After the "Experts" filmed sitting around the table picking all the other matches, there was a tacked on scene outdoors in different clothes; clearly edited to be a time filler.

It will be interesting to find out how they handled the runaway bride. Like, did she pay the $50,000 fine or what?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Wow are they scrapping the barrel for participants.  Only 1,000 applicants?  And, they couldn't find an African-American male to match?  What was wrong with the guy who had the 7 cats (5 of which were kittens and the other two belonged to his roomate)?  Usually they tell us that there were THOUSANDS of applicants, but not this time.  Also, some of the people they featured on the show were just...interesting.  Lots of doublespeak and word salads.  I do hope Jordan and Orion are a success, I like both of them.

I was wondering about the 7 cat guy, too. Quoting myself here:

On 9/13/2023 at 11:32 AM, NowVoyager said:

In the comment section of that annoying video I posted (lol, sorry!), there was some discussion about the diversity of the cast:

Screenshot_20230913_112732_YouTube.thumb.jpg.4c50e943897275c9b6059145d084712f.jpg

Hm... I'm wondering if this guy was intended to be a match for Lauren...

Word on the street: Orion was not the first choice for Lauren. Maybe 7 cat guy was? 🤷🏾‍♀️ 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 4
4 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

Nope! You didn't miss a thing. They never named or showed the match for Michael. After the "Experts" filmed sitting around the table picking all the other matches, there was a tacked on scene outdoors in different clothes; clearly edited to be a time filler.

It will be interesting to find out how they handled the runaway bride. Like, did she pay the $50,000 fine or what?

Oy.  After reading all of this here maybe I should reconsider my choice to watch this season...

Maybe the "runaway bride" reconsidered after being told about the fine and they got married at a later date?

Until I read this here I figured that they were saving who she was for a later episode.  Maybe the show is just f-ing with us as usual.

But in general, matching an introvert with an extrovert - when has that ever worked out so well on this show?  Or throwing a woman into marriage who's never been in a relationship lasting more than 5 weeks?  Or matching two people who are big into their own specific ethnic identities but don't share that identity in common?  Maybe as friends but married?  Once again, drama wins out over true compatibility.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Maybe the "runaway bride" reconsidered after being told about the fine and they got married at a later date?

Here's another thought - They spent a lot of time on Michael so I'm thinking he's not done with the show.  Is it possible they found him another "backup" wife they haven't shown us yet?  The show might be teasing us because it knows the runaway bride story was leaked.

• Useful 6

I thought I saw a girl with long dark hair leaving too. I did see a scene with the blonde girl with colors in her hair crying. I’m thinking she is too obvious to be leaving. I feel bad got the person who is being left though, 

• Like 2

This is from a TV listing for MAFS, putting it here because I guess it qualifies as speculation:

"In Denver, ten singles take the plunge to marry strangers, sight unseen. Among them, an inexperienced bride questions her decision, while a groom's girthy secret shocks everyone; the countdown to the weddings is on."

Girthy secret. Yikes, whatever could that be??? Is MAFS getting even raunchier than the past few seasons? 😮

Either there's a groom who bursts his girdle at the altar, revealing a pot belly with more heft than expected, or...

"Wifey, I have a confession to make before the honeymoon. I've, uh, got a ten-inch..."  Tune in next week for the most shocking episode ever of Married at First Sight!

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 8

I didn't want to post in the episode thread but I was looking at tonight..... 3 hours and 6 minutes of show -"10 singles married at first sight blah blah". So I wondered what was on for next week 2 hours and 35 minutes - "With one pair having already exchanged vows......the other 8 singles make the final preparations for their own mile high matrimonies....."

So 3 hours and 6 effing minutes of show coming on tonight and only 1 couple gets married. Lord help us all. I wish I could watch the episode at double speed like I do when I watch youtube videos.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 2
On 9/12/2023 at 11:56 AM, Yeah No said:

At least some of the guys are good looking.  Of course they'll probably be assholes, LOL.

And three of the women look alike to me.

Unless she has some really specific inside information about the pronunciation of Orion's name, someone should tell her it's pronounced "Oh-righ-un".  Not "Oh-reee-ahn".

And now every time I see a scene with them, I hear his name mispronounced in my head…

• LOL 1

Here's an article about Chloe's background.

https://meaww.com/mafs-season-17-who-is-chloe-brown-senior-director-makes-history-after-reportedly-ditching-michael-shiakallis-at-the-altar

Chloe who was reportedly matched with poor Michael who got left at the altar.

HERE'S THE TEA! 

Reportedly Chloe is the replacement bride! Not the one who left Michael at the altar!

Screenshot_20231021_102044_Instagram.thumb.jpg.0afa4ae9f61ea29c231753d6d411e743.jpg

The other couples' wedding licenses are dated January 30 through February 1. But here's Chloe & Michael's:

Screenshot_20231021_102113_Instagram.thumb.jpg.a816f87ba6b6eea5877bbb3632cc0d31.jpg

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2
44 minutes ago, NowVoyager said:

Here's an article about Chloe's background.

https://meaww.com/mafs-season-17-who-is-chloe-brown-senior-director-makes-history-after-reportedly-ditching-michael-shiakallis-at-the-altar

Chloe who was reportedly matched with poor Michael who got left at the altar.

HERE'S THE TEA! 

Reportedly Chloe is the replacement bride! Not the one who left Michael at the altar!

Screenshot_20231021_102044_Instagram.thumb.jpg.0afa4ae9f61ea29c231753d6d411e743.jpg

The other couples' wedding licenses are dated January 30 through February 1. But here's Chloe & Michael's:

Screenshot_20231021_102113_Instagram.thumb.jpg.a816f87ba6b6eea5877bbb3632cc0d31.jpg

great.  so how are they in the same season?

• Like 2
23 hours ago, cinsays said:

great.  so how are they in the same season?

Yes, how is this going to work? They obviously can't all be meeting together on the honeymoon and all that jazz. It's like they were hell bent on including Michael for some reason 🤷‍♀️ they should have went with a different couple or just did 4 couples this season. Something's weird with this

• Like 10
6 hours ago, starlightlost said:

Yes, how is this going to work? They obviously can't all be meeting together on the honeymoon and all that jazz. It's like they were hell bent on including Michael for some reason 🤷‍♀️ they should have went with a different couple or just did 4 couples this season. Something's weird with this

I think they were running out of "for the first time in MAFS history..." things and "left at the altar" had to work.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
On 10/22/2023 at 10:24 AM, starlightlost said:

Due to the delay between filming and airing they have plenty of time to include them in this season but they won't be able to show them getting together with everyone else at the same time they all were getting together.  It would be strange if they included them on this season that way for sure, but it is possible.  I agree that there is something weird about this.  I thought we had heard about people dropping out prior to past seasons and I'm not sure all of them were replaced in time for filming.  I'm sure there are people out there that keep track of this kind of thing, though.

• Like 3

Spoilers have arrived. Thank you to MAFS Fan for posting them.

And....

We have 5 divorces, including Michael and his replacement bride Chloe. Orion and Lauren end up divorcing pre-decision day due to allegations of cheating on Lauren's part. This is a first, I think, that none of the couples chooses to stay together on Decision Day.

I'm a little bummed because I decided to watch this season after skipping the last couple, and now it feels like a waste. I had hopes for Lauren & Orion, and Becca & Austin...small hopes, but hopes. I wish this stupid show would realize that we watch for the love story, not the drama. How long can they keep producing it when they don't get a single successful couple out of it, multiple seasons in a row?

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Useful 5
9 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

And....

We have 5 divorces, including Michael and his replacement bride Chloe. Orion and Lauren end up divorcing pre-decision day due to allegations of cheating on Lauren's part. This is a first, I think, that none of the couples chooses to stay together on Decision Day.

I'm a little bummed because I decided to watch this season after skipping the last couple, and now it feels like a waste. I had hopes for Lauren & Orion, and Becca & Austin...small hopes, but hopes. I wish this stupid show would realize that we watch for the love story, not the drama. How long can they keep producing it when they don't get a single successful couple out of it, multiple seasons in a row?

wait, so the person alleging there has been cheating is lauren or the one cheating is lauren?

never mind.......i just read the next item that explains it

Edited by cinsays

OK then. I just watched last night for the first time this season and wasn't excited about any of the couples, except maybe Clare and Cameron.  I may still watch, but I didn't think this show could sink any lower than the last couple of seasons. I stand corrected.

But, that video was weird. Orion was confronting Lauren about cheating (she couldn't wait 8 weeks??), but his tone and words were so calm and measured that it just sounded empty. And they found a new wife for Michael? Do they get the same 8 weeks or will their timeline be completely different, as far as D-Day goes?

• Like 2
13 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

I feel the exact same. I looked at MAFS Fan last night and wow. Is this the first season that they had zero who even said yes on D Day? I had skipped the last few seasons, but a couple of these seemed like they might be a good match. I'm not wasting my time on this knowing they all say no on D-Day. How sad that they ruined a good concept in the name of cheap drama. I'm out for good this time.

• Like 6

Big yikes. Biggest bust of a season so far. Not really surprised about any of the other couples, but I wonder why Becca and Austin don't make it? I was skeptical about their match at first, but they seemed to really vibe with one another and have great chemistry from the jump.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I feel the exact same. I looked at MAFS Fan last night and wow. Is this the first season that they had zero who even said yes on D Day? I had skipped the last few seasons, but a couple of these seemed like they might be a good match. I'm not wasting my time on this knowing they all say no on D-Day. How sad that they ruined a good concept in the name of cheap drama. I'm out for good this time.

I'm guessing the rumored but never-been-proven "Bonus Money" for saying yes on decision day is no longer on the table.

• Like 2
  • Useful 5
8 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I'm guessing the rumored but never-been-proven "Bonus Money" for saying yes on decision day is no longer on the table.

You might be right. Does anyone know what the ratings are these days? I see more and more negative comments on social media than positive and more comments about people bailing on the show.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

You might be right. Does anyone know what the ratings are these days? I see more and more negative comments on social media than positive and more comments about people bailing on the show.

I think this show is entering the 3rd tier of reality show Hell where they don't even pretend like anything is real.

• Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6

Maybe the more that people like us who have watched the show for years are dropping out, they need to do something to attract those people who watch these shows just FOR the drama and screw happy endings?  Good job, show.

Edited by Retired at last
  • Like 5
  • Useful 2
19 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

And....

I couldn't agree more - there is just no point to this show anymore.  I would much rather watch updates on the successful couples than waste my time watching this crap.

• Like 7

So disappointed to read the spoilers! I obviously misjudged how this season would go and once again got suckered in to watching, after not watching a few of the more recent seasons - ugh! Why do they keep failing in their selection of couples? 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
11 hours ago, pikake said:

Why do they keep failing in their selection of couples? 

Unfortunately, I think they are hiring exactly the people they want to bring the drama. Back when the show started, it was on another network, and I think they WERE hoping for happy couples. The last several seasons have shown that they are only interested in drama and tears and other things that make reality TV, totally UNreal. (I loved that show until, again, they went too far.) The show producers don't care about the people or actually trying to help them succeed. This is now simply another production-driven and scripted "reality" show. They are no longer looking for people looking for love. They are CASTING actors for specific parts.

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

Unfortunately, I think they are hiring exactly the people they want to bring the drama. Back when the show started, it was on another network, and I think they WERE hoping for happy couples. The last several seasons have shown that they are only interested in drama and tears and other things that make reality TV, totally UNreal. (I loved that show until, again, they went too far.) The show producers don't care about the people or actually trying to help them succeed. This is now simply another production-driven and scripted "reality" show. They are no longer looking for people looking for love. They are CASTING actors for specific parts.

Great explanation! It reminds me of how the Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise evolved over the years. Personally, I would rather see REAL dating shows following couples who may actually be suited to each other, but it appears “Reality TV” has become a scripted disaster created for maximum dramatic effect. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Retired at last said:

It wasn't always on Lifetime?

According to Wikipedia: 

Married at First Sight is an American reality television series that first aired on July 8, 2014, on FYI (and later, Lifetime).

The series first aired in the United States on FYI. Beginning with season two, it aired in simulcast on sister network A&E.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

It has gone from 13 episodes in the first season to 54 episodes last season (17) which is absolutely fking ridiculous. The first 9 seasons were all under 20 episodes and that was about the right amount, now it's just too much.

All series are available on the Lifetime app which surprised me.

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, Retired at last said:

Yeah, this is exactly what I've been thinking for a few years now.  It's the major reason I didn't watch last season.  The fakeness and obvious turnaround to trashiness turned me way off.  I too had hopes that maybe one or two of these couples might actually work out but seeing this spoiler is ruining that for me right out of the gate.  And given how much of an investment of time this show has turned into, I'm seriously thinking about dropping out again.

22 hours ago, Retired at last said:

Maybe the more that people like us who have watched the show for years are dropping out, they need to do something to attract those people who watch these shows just FOR the drama and screw happy endings?  Good job, show.

And this is yet another thing I've been thinking as the show has deteriorated.  The increase in all the social media reality show gossip hounds who talk all about "spilling the tea" in their videos and the people who follow them are the ones they're appealing to now because they love the drama and don't care if none of the couples work out.  Hey, it's less work for the show because they don't have to do any real matching!  And they just may be the bigger audience, too.  I hate to say that I think this show was discovered by that audience during the pandemic when people were looking for things to watch on TV.   

When they replaced Jamie O. on the Afterparty and cancelled all the updates and reunions for the successful couples this became even more obvious to me.  Not that anyone loved Jamie, but she was part of the "old" show that focused on successful couples so I think that's the main reason they got rid of her.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Orion is such a sweetheart.

It kind of breaks my heart that he will be cheated on.

He was so pleased with his bride's beauty and personality or at least that is what it seems like according to the previews.

On 11/2/2023 at 4:19 PM, Retired at last said:

So, what does this do to the rest of the shows they have? We have no need for a reunion show/s and certainly no need for a Where Are They Now show, since no one cares and no one will be together. 

But I bet they'll manage to have those shows anyway! 😂

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, princelina said:

Yup. They will just focus on the reasons the relationships ended, the contact (if any) that the couples have had since the end of the show and who everyone is dating now (bonus if it's other MAFS participants). 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Yup. They will just focus on the reasons the relationships ended, the contact (if any) that the couples have had since the end of the show and who everyone is dating now (bonus if it's other MAFS participants). 

4 hours ago, princelina said:

Have they even done anything like that in the past few seasons?  I may have lost track, but I don't remember seeing any shows like that for a couple of years now.  Since the "Couples Cam" shows ended and Jamie O. was cut loose they seem to have dispensed with reunion or catch up shows except for inviting some previous participants to give their predictions on who will or won't stay together at the beginning of each season and that one last episode where they see what's going on with them a few months after decision day.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 1

Oh, they definitely have had those after-shows recently. They drag the reunion shows on for 2 shows, and then have a Where Are They Now show after that. And they throw in a panel of social media "experts" and maybe some couples from previous seasons to give their expert reactions, when their comments are no different than ours are here. Usually, the big question is, "Are you still together?" and they usually have maybe one couple that says they are and then they announce their split after that.  This season, we will have no need for any of that.

ETA - Plus, they usually have a mid-season panel, hosted by Kevin Frazier, with the same group of social media and/or previous couples, who give their opinions as to who will make it. It will be interesting to see their choices. I wonder if they already know the results like we do when they film those? Maybe not.

Edited by Retired at last
  • Like 3
12 hours ago, Retired at last said:

Oh, they definitely have had those after-shows recently. They drag the reunion shows on for 2 shows, and then have a Where Are They Now show after that. And they throw in a panel of social media "experts" and maybe some couples from previous seasons to give their expert reactions, when their comments are no different than ours are here. Usually, the big question is, "Are you still together?" and they usually have maybe one couple that says they are and then they announce their split after that.  This season, we will have no need for any of that.

ETA - Plus, they usually have a mid-season panel, hosted by Kevin Frazier, with the same group of social media and/or previous couples, who give their opinions as to who will make it. It will be interesting to see their choices. I wonder if they already know the results like we do when they film those? Maybe not.

Oh I know about all of that, I was referring to shows specifically about the still-married couples like Couples Cam and before that, specials just for the purpose of catching up with them.  The "reunion" show after the season ends is only weeks or a couple of months later, not years later like we were seeing for some time.  And featuring one couple or part of a couple on those panel shows is not specifically about them either and not much time is spent on them.  These days if I wanted to find out what's happening with most of the still-married couples I'd have to check online or on their social media, or check the threads here when people post with new info. about them.

And years ago we even had specials trying to match some of the divorced participants and catching us up with some of the unsuccessful people as well.  We had specials featuring former participants coming out of our ears for years, LOL.  They've scaled way back on that stuff.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 3

I’m bummed.  I was hopeful for this season because there seemed to be more chemistry at the altar than seasons past.  

@Retired at last Agree with your comment about casting actors for specific parts.  Seems like the people are remixes of old seasons; ie, never been in a relationship (Deonna had situationships), she’s the life of the party (just like Virginia), health issues (Katie being a diabetic), he’s quirky (Bennett), and on and on.

At this point I’m just looking forward to all the CO scenery.

• Like 7

Further spoilers regarding Lauren and Orion: their marriage doesn't last past the honeymoon, and they don't end up moving in together. Boy, talk about crash and burn. I thought they were one of the better-matched couples at first. I wonder if this outcome is what pushed the experts to bring in Chloe for Michael. Otherwise they're down from 5 to 3 couples before the season barely gets going.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 4