Type keyword(s) to search

MAFS Social Media, Spoilers & Speculation

• Start Topic

On 6/24/2023 at 9:06 PM, NowVoyager said:

This is a long YouTube interview. But, Justin Hall has come out publicly confirming that he has Klinefelter syndrome, a rare genetic condition where a man has an extra chromosome. He is XXY. The condition is treated with testosterone shots every 2 weeks; for his age, his testoterone level should have been in the 800 range, his was in the 50s. He says it is legally a disability & causes him to be forgetful, slow to learn & emotionally irratic. It also made him very tall, lean, have man-boobs (his words), lack body hair except under his arms, and be infertile.

Interestingly, I first read about this in the comment section for a YouTube episode review. I thought the description sounded spot on. Justin says someone DMed him about it but he dismissed it. His new girlfriend is in the medical field, asked him to have his testoterone checked, which led to his diagnosis.

Wow.  This is something that a potential mate would definitely want to know up front.  I'm glad he was diagnosed and is being treated. 

• Like 5

It's official...Karen and Miles are over.

She has given an interview and is strongly implying that he is the one that wanted to break up.

Also, Justin has an extra x chromosome that gives him a low sex drive and low sperm count among other things. He does not think he will be able to have children but is willing to adopt.

His new girlfriend is the one who told him about the syndrome.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 4
3 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

Interesting about Karen and Miles - not that they split, but that HE initiated it.

That saddens me. I liked them together and individually. I hope they both go on to find happiness in the future.

As for Justin, I guess Kleinfelter’s can present in varying degrees of severity? I had an in-law with it and he was severely disabled; intellectual disabilities; impulse control problems (also violent at times); and a whole host of other symptoms. He was never able to live independently but finally found some success living in a group home with other people with similar disabilities. Definitely much lower functioning than Justin.

• Useful 5
4 hours ago, Retired at last said:

Interesting about Karen and Miles - not that they split, but that HE initiated it.

Karen had some interesting comments:

1. The show made it seem like she was not attracted to Miles. In truth, New Orleans is a small town and Miles had a bit of a reputation on the streets and she did not think he was ready for marriage.

2. She thought that Dr. Pepper and Pastor Cal have no connection to the current dating scene since neither of them has dated in the current atmosphere of social media. She kind of implied that they don't understand the current dating/marriage mindset 

3. She does not think the show vets people properly (this was not a shock).

• Like 5
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

The show made it seem like she was not attracted to Miles. In truth, New Orleans is a small town and Miles had a bit of a reputation on the streets and she did not think he was ready for marriage.

We knew that she wasn't attracted to him in the beginning. In. fact, they have credited the pandemic with keeping them together since they had to spend so much extra time together. But, if he wasn't ready for marriage, why did she stay with him? And, she checked him out before the wedding since someone spilled his name and she was NOT happy. But, again, this was before the wedding and their season. I just don't get why that info would be coming out now.

That said, I still think that she was one of the most beautiful brides in a gorgeous dress who has ever been on the show. Ever.

• Like 7
27 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

We knew that she wasn't attracted to him in the beginning. In. fact, they have credited the pandemic with keeping them together since they had to spend so much extra time together. But, if he wasn't ready for marriage, why did she stay with him? And, she checked him out before the wedding since someone spilled his name and she was NOT happy. But, again, this was before the wedding and their season. I just don't get why that info would be coming out now.

That said, I still think that she was one of the most beautiful brides in a gorgeous dress who has ever been on the show. Ever.

So true.

She is still beautiful but you can tell the divorce is taking its toll on her.

In other news, Woody and Amani seem happy and she is pregnant with their second child.

• Like 8
16 hours ago, qtpye said:

She thought that Dr. Pepper and Pastor Cal have no connection to the current dating scene since neither of them has dated in the current atmosphere of social media. She kind of implied that they don't understand the current dating/marriage mindset 

She makes a good point here.  It would be nice to see a younger expert added to the mix.

• Like 6

Wow.  Sounds like Miles was all charm on camera, but once he wanted out, he wanted out.

I agree about the experts.  They've never swiped on an app, never been ghosted 5 minutes before a date, never seen their ex on social media with a new love.  These things are all part of today's dating scene.

I regularly read a relationship message board, and this one poster met her husband online about 20 years ago, at the start of online dating.  She gives these long, drawn-out advice responses to daters today, that have so little to do with what they are going through, but she defends it by saying "but I dated online".  Um, honey, when you could take a shower waiting for your AOL dialup to connect to the hardwired computer that was practically bolted to the desk downstairs.

The show needs younger experts.

• Like 3
  • LOL 6
14 hours ago, Booger666 said:

She makes a good point here.  It would be nice to see a younger expert added to the mix.

Perhaps, but just being younger is no guarantee that they'd be more in touch with today's dating scene.  I have single friends in their '60s that are in that dating scene right now and know more about it than these "experts", so age shouldn't really be the only deciding factor.  Both Cal and Pepper are not just out of touch with that, they aren't really very good judges of character or what makes a relationship work, and age doesn't have anything to do with that either.

2 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

Wow.  Sounds like Miles was all charm on camera, but once he wanted out, he wanted out.

I always had my reservations about Miles, which I caught a lot of crap for, but I still stand by that opinion.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
19 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

I agree about the experts.  They've never swiped on an app, never been ghosted 5 minutes before a date, never seen their ex on social media with a new love.  These things are all part of today's dating scene.

I hypothesize that Pastor Cal and Pepper would say that they aren’t giving advice on dating, they are giving advice on marriage and those are two different things. I think they might further surmise that marriage advice is best given by people who have been around a long time; long enough to see what characteristics in a marriage allow the relationship to endure and succeed. I don’t necessarily agree with this perspective but I can imagine them voicing it.

I think a big part of the problem isn’t so much the age of the experts but their experti-ness (I guess their expertise). I don’t know if they don’t have it or aren’t really permitted to use it but I don’t think they really cast for good relationships as much as they cast for good television. I think it’s almost more luck or accident when they do match a successful couple. I also don’t think the couples get as much counseling and support as they should during the 8-weeks and I’d venture to say that if the show really wanted to produce strong marriages, they would offer counseling to couples throughout the first year without constant filming. But that wouldn’t make for much of a show I purpose.

• Like 4
23 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I don’t know if they don’t have it or aren’t really permitted to use it but I don’t think they really cast for good relationships as much as they cast for good television. I think it’s almost more luck or accident when they do match a successful couple.

THIS. At this point, nobody will ever convince me that the experts reality tv stars pick the couples. I 100% believe the producers are the ones who pick, and they could not give a shit if the couples are compatible; on the contrary, I believe they are deliberately mismatching to make the show more interesting. And that would be fine if it was like the Australian version where they are not actually "legally married", but it's total bullshit that the American version still loves the veneer of this being anything but a trashy reality show and the fact they make these people actually get married is kind of disgusting.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

THIS. At this point, nobody will ever convince me that the experts reality tv stars pick the couples. I 100% believe the producers are the ones who pick, and they could not give a shit if the couples are compatible; on the contrary, I believe they are deliberately mismatching to make the show more interesting. And that would be fine if it was like the Australian version where they are not actually "legally married", but it's total bullshit that the American version still loves the veneer of this being anything but a trashy reality show and the fact they make these people actually get married is kind of disgusting.

In fairness the Australian show is the way it is because they can't legally get married for a tv show in Australia. The UK show now follows the same model as the Australian show & is much better for the change.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 7/27/2023 at 4:38 PM, Elizzikra said:

I hypothesize that Pastor Cal and Pepper would say that they aren’t giving advice on dating, they are giving advice on marriage and those are two different things. I think they might further surmise that marriage advice is best given by people who have been around a long time; long enough to see what characteristics in a marriage allow the relationship to endure and succeed. I don’t necessarily agree with this perspective but I can imagine them voicing it.

They could say that if they want, but speaking as someone who has been married for over 40 years, I don't think their advice on marriage is too good either.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
On 7/26/2023 at 9:19 PM, Yeah No said:

Perhaps, but just being younger is no guarantee that they'd be more in touch with today's dating scene.  I have single friends in their '60s that are in that dating scene right now and know more about it than these "experts", so age shouldn't really be the only deciding factor.  Both Cal and Pepper are not just out of touch with that, they aren't really very good judges of character or what makes a relationship work, and age doesn't have anything to do with that either.

I always had my reservations about Miles, which I caught a lot of crap for, but I still stand by that opinion.

The most prominent feature about Miles' ability to sustain his marriage to Karen, IMO, is his SERIOUS MENTAL ILLNESS that he went into public discussion about on many occasions. 

His Major Depressive Disorder was the lynchpin of his failure to relate in a healthy manner with Karen, and that was from DAY ONE!  I recall literally "cringing" as the show filmed him trying to manage his symptoms and Karen trying to be as supportive as she possibly could be. 

I know she is in the health field and I know she had compassion for his  condition; however, maybe Miles believed that regardless of Karen's support he needed "space" from ANY marital responsibility in order to manage his condition as he needed to do with as little social "pressure" as possible.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
29 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

The most prominent feature about Miles' ability to sustain his marriage to Karen, IMO, is his SERIOUS MENTAL ILLNESS that he went into public discussion about on many occasions. 

His Major Depressive Disorder was the lynchpin of his failure to relate in a healthy manner with Karen, and that was from DAY ONE!  I recall literally "cringing" as the show filmed him trying to manage his symptoms and Karen trying to be as supportive as she possibly could be. 

I know she is in the health field and I know she had compassion for his  condition; however, maybe Miles believed that regardless of Karen's support he needed "space" from ANY marital responsibility in order to manage his condition as he needed to do with as little social "pressure" as possible.

Just my 2 cents.

OMG!!!

I had no idea that Miles was dealing with severe depression.

This is probably what Karen meant when she said the show did not vet people properly.

I thought she meant that only famewhores sign up for this show now since the success rate is so low.

I hope Miles gets the help that he needs.

Having a serious mental or emotional illness and then going on a reality show to get married is a recipe for failure.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, pdlinda said:

Just my 2 cents.

I’ve suffered from depression most of my life and am happily married for seven years now. There is no reason that Miles’s depression would render him unable to sustain a marriage. Many people with many different types of mental illnesses are able to be married happily.

I remember Miles discussing his depression and also that he was in treatment for it. I don’t think the pressure of the show helped but honestly I think the pressure of the show is horrible for everyone. 

• Like 7
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1
24 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I’ve suffered from depression most of my life and am happily married for seven years now. There is no reason that Miles’s depression would render him unable to sustain a marriage. Many people with many different types of mental illnesses are able to be married happily.

I remember Miles discussing his depression and also that he was in treatment for it. I don’t think the pressure of the show helped but honestly I think the pressure of the show is horrible for everyone. 

I completely agree that there are people who can thrive in personal relationships, including marriage, while managing mental illness.  However, not everyone can successfully manage a marriage, with or without a diagnosed mental health condition.

Just the pressure of social media constantly checking up on the status of their relationship and the various business and marketing promotions they were involved with (like international travel that they sponsored...I'm really not sure about the details but I recall reading something about their trips) may not have been compatible with what he and his psych team thought was the most healthy environment for him to achieve the goals he set out for himself.

• Like 6
On 7/28/2023 at 1:41 PM, Shrek said:

In fairness the Australian show is the way it is because they can't legally get married for a tv show in Australia. The UK show now follows the same model as the Australian show & is much better for the change.

I am aware that they have to do it that way in Australia, but I think it's the right thing to do in the US regardless even if it is "legal" because it's a shitty thing to make someone get legally married when they make no effort to actually make good matches.

It's hard to believe any of these people come into this looking for a life partner from the "experiment". Caveat Emptor! If anyone thinks there is a chance in hell that they are being matched in good faith after this many seasons, they are either willfully naive or stupid.

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I am aware that they have to do it that way in Australia, but I think it's the right thing to do in the US regardless even if it is "legal" because it's a shitty thing to make someone get legally married when they make no effort to actually make good matches.

It's hard to believe any of these people come into this looking for a life partner from the "experiment". Caveat Emptor! If anyone thinks there is a chance in hell that they are being matched in good faith after this many seasons, they are either willfully naive or stupid.

I've thought the US version should follow the Australian model for a few years now, the US show is now a shadow of its original self and if it's drama they really want then change it up. 

• Like 5
On 7/30/2023 at 12:09 PM, pdlinda said:

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you, I caught a lot of crap for saying almost exactly that here when that season was airing.  Of course some people manage their condition better than others, but I thought it was at least a yellow flag with him because despite his saying he was getting help, we really didn't know how well he was managing it.  And neither would anyone marrying him "at first sight".  And of course I didn't trust these so-called "experts" to really know how well he was managing it either.  So that's why I didn't think it was a good idea that he was selected. 

On 7/30/2023 at 2:56 PM, Elizzikra said:

Of course, in theory depression wouldn't by itself render someone unable to sustain a marriage IF they were managing it successfully as you well know yourself.  But not everyone is as successful at managing their depression and Miles was an unknown quantity when he first appeared on this show.  And as I say about everything with regard to the experts, I don't trust their opinion on anyone or anything, and I don't automatically trust the participants to know how well they're doing either.  We have all realized that the "experts" are just there to give the appearance of some kind of legitimacy to this show when in reality the producers pick the participants for their own reasons, which we have seen for ourselves over and over again have little to do with how well any of them is managing anything in their lives, whether or not that includes depression.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

At least some of the guys are good looking.  Of course they'll probably be assholes, LOL.

And three of the women look alike to me.

Unless she has some really specific inside information about the pronunciation of Orion's name, someone should tell her it's pronounced "Oh-righ-un".  Not "Oh-reee-ahn".

• LOL 3
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

At least some of the guys are good looking.  Of course they'll probably be assholes, LOL.

And three of the women look alike to me.

Unless she has some really specific inside information about the pronunciation of Orion's name, someone should tell her it's pronounced "Oh-righ-un".  Not "Oh-reee-ahn".

Yeah - that bugged me. I had a hard time listening to it.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, NowVoyager said:

In the comment section of that annoying video I posted (lol, sorry!), there was some discussion about the diversity of the cast:

Screenshot_20230913_112732_YouTube.thumb.jpg.4c50e943897275c9b6059145d084712f.jpg

Hm... I'm wondering if this guy was intended to be a match for Lauren...

Just looking at the photos, I think the guy dodged a bullet.

• Like 2
On 9/12/2023 at 8:18 AM, Crashcourse said:

Poor Cameron.  I think Claire might be too much for him.  

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if none of these couples shown make it. 

ANOTHER LOSER SEASON seems to be upon us...I doubt I'll waste my time to watch.  The utter train wreck's of the  last few seasons drained any interest I ever had in the show.  

There were seasons with relatable couples who actually developed functioning marriages; however, the last few years brought about nothing but failures (with a few, very few, notable exceptions.  I think the last one was Briana and Vincent). 

After that it was all DOWNHILL.  And...to that I would include the only surviving couple from last season, Nicole and Chris.

• Like 7

Paige is expecting a baby and looks to be very happy with her nice-looking new man.

Eric married a very pretty lady in a lovely wedding ceremony. Hopefully, the third time will be the charm for him.

• Like 7

Paige looks absolutely radiant! I wish her the best. She's 27!? Wow, she was really young during her season.

Eric's wedding venue was gorgeous! Interesting that he & his wife are starting a YouTube channel. Nice to see Jacob, Ryan, Vincent & Brianna at the ceremony.

• Like 4
On 9/13/2023 at 11:03 AM, NowVoyager said:

Screenshot_20230913_110645_Instagram.thumb.jpg.08c558bdf89e3b1b403306d58fa3afd4.jpg

I hope Mr. and Mrs. Longnecker stay married so they can breed a giraffe.

I'm ready for Denver! They're all good-looking pairs certain to fall in love and have long, successful marriages. 👍

• LOL 12
On 7/30/2023 at 9:09 AM, pdlinda said:

Just my 2 cents.

There is a lengthy interview done with Karen shortly after Miles & Karen broke up.  She talks about how she was portrayed on the show and the depression etc.  She  really feels like there was a lot of misrepresentation and much of the show is edited and also taken out of context.  She is no longer in the healthcare field and I think she is a chef now.  It sounds like she was always very committed to the marriage and he was not as much.

• Useful 5
On 9/26/2023 at 2:36 PM, starlightlost said:

Whew!! Let me go ahead & post some visuals @starlightlost because you posted some piping hot tea 5 days ago!! Thank you! 😊

For those of you who didn't click on the link:

Screenshot_20230930_002553_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.04109ed9228c3d69695a8508d730dc21.jpg

All the couple's wedding photos are shown as, well... couples, except:

Screenshot_20230930_002627_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.d58e9e183ea443c8a0952b89e4ab94d4.jpg

Michael was intended to be matched with:

Screenshot_20230930_002719_Google.thumb.jpg.5b59256d76887fcb2fd9cfd63f54e669.jpg

Chloe.

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1

Just saying, I would NOT have liked to see him at the end of the altar, so maybe she got a peek. She looks pretty. But, I do feel bad for him. How embarrassing. So, will he get to stick around and go on the honeymoon trip and hang out with the couples? 

• Like 5

He wouldn't have been my type either, with all the hair and the earrings but, yes, I do feel bad for him.  I'm sure he's somebody's "type" so I expect he'll get a lot of attention, even for a brief appearance on MAFS.

• Like 6

Oh boy, they just won't give up on this franchise. Plus, we are getting more Beyond Decision Day episodes of the Denver season. Like Nashville didn't make me want to bash my head in lol

https://people.com/tv/married-at-first-sight-two-new-spinoffs/

The first, Married at First Sight: Honeymoon Island, is an eight-episode series about 16 singles looking for love on an exotic island. Premiering on Oct. 23 at 10 p.m. ET, it could be the Bachelor in Paradise for fall! Ranging in age from 25 to 40, the stars are a mix of new faces, fan favorites and unmatched candidates from earlier seasons of the original. At the end of their stay, participants must either get married or leave the island alone.

The second spinoff, Married at First Sight: Happily Ever After, follows the stories of successful couples from previous seasons of the original — including Shawniece and Jephte from season 6, and Ashley and Anthony from season 5. The first episode airs Oct. 30 at 10 p.m. ET.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 4

Weird that they are teasing about the groom being left at the altar when it has been in People magazine and MAFSfan have already stated who it is.

I noticed that it was on last night and I didn't watch. Also, if next week is another one of those asinine shows with Kevin F and his panel of people who know no more than we do, that is also an easy pass.

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

if next week is another one of those asinine shows with Kevin F and his panel of people who know no more than we do, that is also an easy pass.

I just checked out Lifetime, looks like you'll be passing 😂

• Thanks 1
  • LOL 4

OK what the heck, I am really confused here.  Last night according the write up was supposed to be one of those Kevin Frazer shows but instead what I got was the first episode of the new season……anyone else?

Also bizarre is we have already been spoiled about the one guy being left at the alter but on the episode they matched up all the couples except him!  AND the gal they had picked for him was not even shown anywhere in the episode which I thought was so crazy..... I rewatched thinking maybe I fell asleep and missed  her!

(I'm in BC Canada btw and Rogers/Shaw digital cable provider.)

Edited by endure
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1

I think they aren't showing the woman who stands up the guy in order to 'punish' her and not give her any screen time, but we shall see.

Wow are they scrapping the barrel for participants.  Only 1,000 applicants?  And, they couldn't find an African-American male to match?  What was wrong with the guy who had the 7 cats (5 of which were kittens and the other two belonged to his roomate)?  Usually they tell us that there were THOUSANDS of applicants, but not this time.  Also, some of the people they featured on the show were just...interesting.  Lots of doublespeak and word salads.  I do hope Jordan and Orion are a success, I like both of them.

I am so over all of the condom/dildo hunting.  I think the 'experts' like to make people feel uncomfortable.  But, I don't like these scenes as the uncomfortability of the participants makes me uncomfortable, and I just want to watch these trainwrecks and be entertained, not to feel uncomfortable. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 5