Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I've been away for a couple of weeks - visiting family! (Not only Covid-related isolation for the past year... I also have the deep pain of living far away from my most loved ones - kids/grandkids/sisters, etc. ALL the time. The pandemic just made things more intense. What do you mean, I can't drive into Quebec?!!! Canada is a huge country, and although I love where I live (Ontario), I can't help but wish that Alberta and Quebec were much closer together!)

The human connection was so strong, I didn't even miss tv. Seriously! I thought perhaps I was becoming addicted... these past months have been spent mostly with my dog, watching 'stuff'. She prefers dog shows, or anything including 4-leggeds.

Last night was my first J! watch in over 2 weeks, and rather than wait until I catch up (nay nay), thought I'd jump into the deep end and watch the show - LIVE!

I was out of the room, listening, and could only hear the voice of Chris Sullivan (he plays Toby in This Is Us)... turned out to be someone completely different - Alex.

George was fine. His suit was fine. LOL. The contestants were fine. The whole show was fine - and I felt they missed some "easy" (EIYKI?) clues. Which always balances out my misses or don't-know-and-don't-care blanks.

My first thought for FJ was mousetrap (hate those things), and I stuck with it.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I've been away for a couple of weeks - visiting family! (Not only Covid-related isolation for the past year... I also have the deep pain of living far away from my most loved ones - kids/grandkids/sisters, etc. ALL the time. The pandemic just made things more intense. What do you mean, I can't drive into Quebec?!!! Canada is a huge country, and although I love where I live (Ontario), I can't help but wish that Alberta and Quebec were much closer together!)

The human connection was so strong, I didn't even miss tv. Seriously! I thought perhaps I was becoming addicted... these past months have been spent mostly with my dog, watching 'stuff'. She prefers dog shows, or anything including 4-leggeds.

Last night was my first J! watch in over 2 weeks, and rather than wait until I catch up (nay nay), thought I'd jump into the deep end and watch the show - LIVE!

I was out of the room, listening, and could only hear the voice of Chris Sullivan (he plays Toby in This Is Us)... turned out to be someone completely different - Alex.

George was fine. His suit was fine. LOL. The contestants were fine. The whole show was fine - and I felt they missed some "easy" (EIYKI?) clues. Which always balances out my misses or don't-know-and-don't-care blanks.

My first thought for FJ was mousetrap (hate those things), and I stuck with it.

So glad to hear you were able to visit Family... I, too, live thousands of miles away from kids & grand-kids & siblings...its hard but they are happy where they are.  Anyway, I thought George did a good job as Host, and I said clothes-pin :)

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Bliss said:

I thought at times he sounded like Philip Seymour Hoffman.

The Marine Officer looks like he's in high school...

Ran Coyote and Super Genius; only missed one in each of the other categories in round 1. Then I lost track. Did not get FJ.

Sometimes I wonder what they're talking about while the credits roll...

• Love 6

i got FJ but it was a complete guess.

I got the missed clues of howl, Mrs Miniver (guess), Cleopatra (educated guess) and Jackie Coogan (with the help of the wrong answer).

I got the entire category of music wrong, but only missed one or two in all the remaining categories, so came out OK.

• Love 2

Got FJ for the first time in as far as I can remember --which isn't very far, heh.

The new champ seems like he has the potential to go far. He's got broad knowledge, he's mastered the buzzer, and no doubt he's got the stamina to do multiple games in a row. 

• Love 7

Instaguess FJ for me tonight.  Animation, three characters, plus the year brought me to the correct response.

Howl as a TS was surprising.  I got that along with Cleopatra and Coogan.  Seems like there weren't too many TS tonight.  I thought the double double rhyme category was fun.

• Love 8
(edited)
4 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

So glad to hear you were able to visit Family... I, too, live thousands of miles away from kids & grand-kids & siblings...its hard but they are happy where they are.  Anyway, I thought George did a good job as Host, and I said clothes-pin :)

My DD and her family (husband, daughter) live in England. I last saw them in person in mid-August 2019. They will be here in a month, and I am beyond excited!

DH said typewriter, and I couldn’t think of anything else. When I heard the correct answer, it was a forehead slap, duh! moment.

For tonight’s FJ, it was an instaget-get.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 5
40 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Instaguess FJ for me tonight.  Animation, three characters, plus the year brought me to the correct response.

Howl as a TS was surprising.  I got that along with Cleopatra and Coogan.  Seems like there weren't too many TS tonight.  I thought the double double rhyme category was fun.

I got those as well as "Phaedra," but I would question the reference to her as a "minor character" in Euripides' Hippolytus. I haven't counted who has more lines, but one could make a case for her as the main character, despite the play's title.

• Love 1
(edited)

The show is pre-empted for basketball here, so I just checked the archive.  Thankfully, there were hardly any clues with visual aids, and not being able to see them didn't keep me from getting them right.

The howl TS surprised me.

I always enjoy the rhyme categories, and tonight's was no exception.

I did okay in the first round, missing two in genius (technically one, but if I was watching I wouldn't have been able to spit out John Nash in time [I'd have remained stuck on "the guy Russell Crowe played"] so I have to count that one as a miss because of the time I took to come up with it), and one each in odd history and TV siblings (I'm surprised I didn't miss more of those, since I don't watch any of the shows).

I did really well in DJ, only missing two protagonists and one in classical music (not a strong category for me, so I was pleased).

I correctly guessed FJ.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

if I was watching I wouldn't have been able to spit out John Nash in time [I'd have remained stuck on "the guy Russell Crowe played"]), 

I barely got it out in time; my mind went to Russell Crowe first. But it came just in time (partly because Nash died in a car crash near where I work so I always remember that.)

In one of those EIYKI moments, I confidently blurted out "Huey, Dewey, & Louie" and was right! Usually when I'm that confident, I'm wrong.  And I just noticed that even though they're pronounced to rhyme, HD&L are all spelled differently.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got howl, Mrs Minerva (watched it on TCM a short while back), and Jackie Coogan. My mind went blank on FJ and should have come up with it. Glad you are back safely @Bliss 

It’s Miniver. I’d blame auto-correct.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of howl, Mrs Miniver (guess), Cleopatra (educated guess) and Jackie Coogan (with the help of the wrong answer).

Exactly the ts's I got.

Instaguess FJ. 

I like George as host better than I did at first.

• Love 3

I ran Mr. & Mrs., which surprised me.  Turns out, I've seen a lot of them. I haven't seen Mrs. Miniver, but it was the first one I thought of when the category was announced, so I was pleased to get it.

FJ wasn't too difficult. It wasn't instant, but it didn't take much figuring out for me. The mister was stuck on the Spanish part, and was thinking the Three Caballeros.

I did better in the Canada category than I ever have. I didn't run it or anything, but I actually got some right, which is a win.

The marine did a fine job. Boy he looks so young, but given his training and rank, he can't be nearly as young as he looks. Then again, people are looking younger all the time, from this end of the age spectrum.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Instaget FJ for me tonight, but then I had to re-read the clue to make sure I chose the correct character.  I did.  And I get an asterisk for it!

Which is good, because I only got one TS -- Morpheus.

And it doesn't hurt my feelings in the slightest that Andre did not win.  

• Love 1

I didn't have an answer for FJ.  I wonder if th emiddle contestant meant Sancho Panza as opposed to Pancho Villa?

I got the missed clues of Morpheus, conchology, thanatology and Elijah.

I got the entire category of laws right.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I didn't have an answer for FJ.  I wonder if th emiddle contestant meant Sancho Panza as opposed to Pancho Villa?

That's what I figured, too. Spinneret maybe brought to mind windmill sails?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight, but then I had to re-read the clue to make sure I chose the correct character.  I did.  And I get an asterisk for it!

I got Morpheus, Stearns, jeted and jetted, Covent Garden, Thanatology, Elijah, Samuel, summer soldier, and FJ.

What did you have against Andre? 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

At first I thought Andre was going to be the new champion. But then he lost almost all his accumulated score. I hope for his and his family's sake that he's not into gambling.

He was doing so well and then I noticed he only had a little over $2K and I was wondering what happened...(I generally pay more attention to how I'm doing than how they're doing, and I was barely paying attention to that tonight). Second person this week to end with 3 bucks.

• Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

He was doing so well and then I noticed he only had a little over $2K and I was wondering what happened...(I generally pay more attention to how I'm doing than how they're doing, and I was barely paying attention to that tonight). Second person this week to end with 3 bucks.

He had a lot of wrong responses. At one point George Stephanopoulos kind of groaned when Andre had yet another wrong response. I guess being fast with the buzzer can work against a player.

In contrast, Judith didn't ring in unless she knew for sure. That, combined with almost no facial expressions, would probably make her a great poker player, heh. But those are also good qualities for a lawyer. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 10

As an attorney, Judith is going to have to live down her patent answer for the copyright clue, but I was rooting for her.

The church TS surprised me, with religion ruled out. 

I missed two literary initials (Rowling and Eliot) and one in lights out (Morpheus), but otherwise ran the first round. 

In DJ, I managed to only miss two (the two TS) in the Bible category - granted, I didn't know any of them, but I correctly guessed the first three and that's a success - but I also missed two each in Thomas Paine (the two TS again), -ologies (the two TS yet again, so at least I was often in good company), architects, and musicals (it should have been one; I'd have never known Little Shop of Horrors, but I cannot believe I didn't come up with The King and I based on the clue) - science was the only category I ran. 

And I had no idea for FJ.  So, after round one I was pretty off my game tonight.

(edited)
52 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'd have never known Little Shop of Horrors

I knew Little Shop of Horrors  and at first thought maybe this was one of those combo categories when Andre said "Little Barbershop of Horrors."
I think this was one of Andre's wrong answers that made George sigh.
I knew it because my former boss of many years--who was a film buff--had a large thorny plant that she referred to by that title, and so I watched the movie when it turned up on TV. 
Hmmm, it looks like there is going to be a remake: wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Shop_of_Horrors_(film)#Remake and wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Shop_of_Horrors_(musical)#Planned_feature_film

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

Jeez, none of them had heard of spinnerets before!? I thought that was so easy. What’s a book with a spider? Charlotte’s Web. It was an instaget, I just had to double check I was giving the correct character they were looking for. 

“Little Barbershop of Horrors” made me laugh. Like a combo of Sweeney Todd and Little Shop.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

"Charlotte's Web" danced in my mind for a second.  The correct answer must have been there in my subconscious.

However, I discarded it.  I thought that a spinneret had to do with rollerskating and couldn't think of any book that fit.

God help me.  I will not be taking questions at this time.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

Charlotte’s Web. It was an instaget, I just had to double check I was giving the correct character they were looking for. 

My recommendation though is to not do what I did and shout answers while eating pecans. I have some vacuuming to do.

I assume this is the same for popcorn, doritos, or potato chips.

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 10
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

The church TS surprised me, with religion ruled out. 

I said mind.  My own mind is my own mind.

7 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Jeez, none of them had heard of spinnerets before!? I thought that was so easy. What’s a book with a spider? Charlotte’s Web. It was an instaget, I just had to double check I was giving the correct character they were looking for. 

i thought it had to do with weaving. Which lead me to spend a lot of time thinking about Silas Marner.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

“Little Barbershop of Horrors” made me laugh. Like a combo of Sweeney Todd and Little Shop.

It was one of those Easy If You Know It questions. People may have heard of Charlotte's Web, but you would need to know more than that to come up with Wilbur the pig. 

Now I'm laughing at the thought of a Sweeney Todd/Little Shop of Horrors crossover. I wondered why Andre threw "Barbershop" in there, and then you reminded me there is a horror musical set in a barbershop. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

What did you have against Andre? 

Nothing specific initially, just a general irritation right from the introductions.  Then the leaning, and the immediate jumping to the bottom  of the category made significant contributions.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Yes! Love when we get an asterisk!

• Love 2

Before bringing Jairus' daughter back to life, Jesus tells her weeping family she is not dead, but is only this

For this clue, did anyone else answer "mostly dead"?  I knew the correct answer but that made me laugh.

I got the ts's or missed DDs of jeted/jetted, cuter/cutter, conchology, and Elijah.

No clue for FJ.  I thought spinnerets had something to do with fishing so thought of The Old Man and the Sea  or Moby Dick or something seafaring.  I've read part of Charlotte's Web but not enough of it apparently.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of Morpheus, conchology, thanatology and Elijah.

I got the entire category of laws right.

That's a good theory (Sancho Panza). Makes a lot of sense.

I did not know "thanatology" - except to say when the answer was given "Oh, so that's why they named him Thanos!"

10 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I spent a second confusing spinnerets with minarets, and then was "Okay what are spinnerets" - came to spiders and thus the correct answer.

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said mind.  My own mind is my own mind.

i thought it had to do with weaving. Which lead me to spend a lot of time thinking about Silas Marner.

I said mind as well.

1 hour ago, Trey said:

For this clue, did anyone else answer "mostly dead"?  I knew the correct answer but that made me laugh.

Yep, that was the answer on our couch too. 😄

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Weird game tonight. It might be because unexpectedly met up with some friends and wine was consumed. I got acoustics, Samuel (total guess) and had no idea for FJ. I’ve never read Charlotte’s Web. This is the second time I think a clue was related to the book so I’ll have to add it to my reading list. 

Where is @saber5055?  

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I did not know "thanatology" - except to say when the answer was given "Oh, so that's why they named him Thanos!" 

That was my first thought too!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'm counting the FJ as correct because I thought of Wilbur first, then thought I'd misread the clue and changed it to Charlotte.  I guess I should put an asterisk on it, though.

I wasn't minding Andre at first, but the longer the game went on, the more he reminded me of Mikey Day's character in the SNL skit where Regina King wanted the most awkward white guy possible, and not in a good way.  So I was not unhappy when he lost.

18 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I did better in the Canada category than I ever have. I didn't run it or anything, but I actually got some right, which is a win.

I did pretty well, but completely whiffed on The Yukon Territory.  I didn't realize that "The" was part of the name originally, and the only territory I could think of which did include "The" was The Northwest Territories.  Which is now Nunavut, so at least I was primed to get that one right when it showed up.

I did very badly in the Bible category, only getting sleeping and Matthew correct.  I don't feel too bad about that since I gave up on religion when I was 10, but I do usually do better in that area for some unfathomable reason.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, nokat said:

My recommendation though is to not do what I did and shout answers while eating pecans. I have some vacuuming to do.

I assume this is the same for popcorn, doritos, or potato chips.

At least those are easily vacuumed up.  Soup, not so much.

5 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

I never read Charlotte’s Web so hadn’t a clue for FJ.

Yeah, that would've helped.  Jeopardy loves Charlotte's Web (so do I), but if you've never read it, knowing the name of anything other than the title character would be difficult.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Me, too.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’ve never read Charlotte’s Web. This is the second time I think a clue was related to the book so I’ll have to add it to my reading list. 

It's one of Jeopardy's favorite go-tos for children's literature.  It shows up a lot.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

and the only territory I could think of which did include "The" was The Northwest Territories.  Which is now Nunavut, so at least I was primed to get that one right when it showed up.

Just part of Northwest Territories became Nunavut. So we have, in order from the west, Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Trey said:

Just part of Northwest Territories became Nunavut. So we have, in order from the west, Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut.

I did not know that, obviously.  You'd think I'd have noticed the last time I looked at a map of Canada, but I guess mostly they've been maps from when everyone was searching for the Northwest Passage.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I did know that one but could not pull it out of my brain!! Very annoying.

I knew it because of the Ologies podcast episode on Corvid Thanatology, and I kept saying "Crow Funerals...what was that word?!"

• LOL 5

FJ: The first thing that came to me was The Gutenberg Bible, but I thought: that can't be right.  I've never heard of Cardinal Mazarin, and the Gutenberg Bible is what it's always called.  I've never heard of the Mazarin Bible.

But I couldn't think of anything else.  So in the game I would have written "What is the Gutenberg Bible?" but I can't honestly say I knew it.

• Love 8

I said The Domesday Book.   I think it was a better guess than Don Quixote or the Magna Carta, which isn't a book.  So, I'm feeling slightly better about myself.

The only missed clues I got were Elton John, American Beauty and the Beast and How Green was My Valley Girl, but only after the wrong answer.

I got the entire category opposites right.  Not a particularly good game tonight.