Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I very confidently answered A Mighty Fortress Is Our God.

I got the missed clues of Lesotho and Jack Kerouac.

I got the entire categories of idioms, license plates, and personally right.

• Love 1

Instaget FJ tonight -- cleft led me to the right hymn.  

Great game!  Hardly any TS, and I only got two of them, Kerouac and Gamecock.  I almost had Margrethe of Denmark, but I couldn't quite get past "Mar- somebody".  I should have gotten Lesotho, but it wouldn't come to me either.  

• Love 2

Did the new champ just calculate wrong and think she needed $42000 instead of $32000?   She won but that was a horrible bet.  If she missed it she'd have lost to the 3rd place person for no reason,.no need to bet that much.  

• Love 2

Tonight's game will be pre-empted by basketball, so I just checked the archive.

The Kerouac TS surprised me, especially with Ginsberg ruled out, as did no one even guessing an Asian monarchy with a large population.

I missed one in clocks (the Rouen TS, and the picture wouldn't have helped me) and one in personally (the bible one, of course), but otherwise ran the first round, so I was back to form after last night's disappointing start.

I was off to a terrible start in DJ, though; I got the first two scattered clues, and then stunk up the joint in First Novels, missing all but one.  But I rebounded; I ran vowels, brands, and monarchy (wasn't expecting that one, and only because of scrolling through the Royals thread as I next unread topic my way through this site's Everything Else section did I know the queen of Denmark's name) and only missed one each in spin-offs (Arrow) and American Revolution (Saratoga, and I don't think the picture would have helped me).

I correctly guessed FJ, because limestone was successful in making rock spring to mind, and, while I don't know the lyrics or melody, I know the title "Rock of Ages".  So I initially said it as a joke response, but then thought well, wait, that's a hymn, and a big rock could provide shelter from a storm; that might actually be right.  So I backed into that one, but it counts.

• Love 3

I'm not surprised French blue is a color since there are so many French things: French kiss, French fries, French cuffs, and my favorite, French leave. I can think of others but they are not appropriate for posting here.

• LOL 5
(edited)
10 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

“Bono is a pox” was a very common bit of graffiti back home.  At any rate it made this FJ an instaget for me.

My BIL is from Cork, Ireland and this made me laugh.  He has a great disdain for “the Dubs” and Bono is practically a swear word for him. 
I teared up with the winner today as well.  

Edited by LBS
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I finally got an FJ right this week!

Likewise! I also knew Rouen, Kerouac, and Margaretha. I thought Sanjay's pronunciation of "Rouen" was off--something like "Row when." I thought of how beautifully Alex would have pronounced it. 🙁

• Love 5

Instaget FJ!  Years of Sunday school paid off.  Plus I love the old hymns.  However, I did not know Yosemite was in California.  I thought it was in Wyoming or Colorado.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Instaget FJ!  Years of Sunday school paid off.  Plus I love the old hymns.  

So you'll forgive me for guessing wrongly "It Is Well With My Soul"?

5 hours ago, PaulaO said:

However, I did not know Yosemite was in California.  I thought it was in Wyoming or Colorado.

Even though I lived in California for 20 years, and my daughters did overnight field trips to Yosemite (and in recent years one scaled Half Dome!) I still have to stop and think: "Which 'Y' national park is it? Yosemite or Yellowstone?" [Yellowstone is in Wyoming]
So, if it wasn't a DD or a FJ, I *might* not have gotten it in time. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

An okay game for me.  My only ts was Jack Kerouac but I don't think there were too many ts's.

Not quite an instaget FJ but it came to me pretty quickly.

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Even though I lived in California for 20 years, and my daughters did overnight field trips to Yosemite (and in recent years one scaled Half Dome!) I still have to stop and think: "Which 'Y' national park is it? Yosemite or Yellowstone?" [Yellowstone is in Wyoming]
So, if it wasn't FJ, I *might* not have gotten it in time. 

And Idaho and Montana (just in case it comes up as a future clue!).

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I was raised Unitarian so my direct hymn knowledge is a little shaky but Father Grundoon was raised in the Salvation Army and Mother Grundoon was a Congregationalist so they sometimes sang them on car trips so the answer popped into my brain quickly as a possibility.  I also thought of the Rugged Cross but it didn't seem to fit the clue as well so back to Rock of Ages I went. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Roaster said:

Jen with an awesome $42K payday.

She got all three DDs and had healthy wagers on the first two.  She bet conservatively on the third DD and so did not get a runaway.

And another reason it not a runaway is that Nikole accumulated $16K by the end of DJ without the help of any DDs, which is a good performance in itself.

A well played game.

For FJ, I guessed "A Mighty Fortress is Our God."  Hey, I go to Catholic church.  What do I know about Anglican hymns?

I loved how blown away Jen was by her win.  I thought she was about to start hypervenilating.

17 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of Lesotho and Jack Kerouac.

So did I.  

17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Great game!  Hardly any TS, and I only got two of them, Kerouac and Gamecock.  I almost had Margrethe of Denmark, but I couldn't quite get past "Mar- somebody".

I said "Marguerite, no that's not right" but couldn't get to the right name in time.  Funny story, on one of my trips to Myrtle Beach, I saw a car in a parking lot with the bumper sticker "Go Cocks!"; I thought I'd taken a picture of that, but I can't find it now.

15 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I'm not surprised French blue is a color since there are so many French things: French kiss, French fries, French cuffs, and my favorite, French leave. I can think of others but they are not appropriate for posting here.

French letters?

It took me a moment to get FJ because I thought of The Old Rugged Cross first, but then Rock of Ages popped into my head and I could hear the lyrics and knew it was the right one.  I'm like the least religious person ever, but I've had to sing both of those at various family funerals.

• Love 2
(edited)

I couldn't get off "The White Cliffs of Dover," although I know that is not a hymn.  Everything else that passed through my mind could be ruled out because I knew the composer was not Augustus Toplady.  Oh well.  We seldom used this kind of hymn at my childhood church, and when I heard it as an adult, I didn't care for it.  Yes, I'm sure Toplady is absolutely devastated that his best-remembered work, meaningful to untold millions of people, didn't resonate with me personally.

License Plates was a lot of fun.  I used to be very interested in them, then never became a driver (I am licensed, but I really shouldn't, and don't like to).  They were also more exciting when I lived on the east coast, and you could expect three or four states at least to be represented in any parking lot some places.  Now in much larger California, the vast majority of plates I see are in-state.  The basic plate is just dead boring, but a few of the vanity options are OK.  Naturally, I missed Yosemite by psyching myself out.

I wasn't impressed with Gupta's pronunciations of "Rouen" or "Lesotho."  He does have a certain natural charisma but I wouldn't rank him highly among the guest hosts so far.  Yet somehow I have a feeling I'll miss him plenty by the time Joe Buck rolls around.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 2

Anyone catch the face Nikole made when she answered the one about 21 Jump Street/Booker?  Kind of made me love her a little bit.  Can't say I ever thought Richard Grieco would be referenced on Jeopardy.

• LOL 2

WTF?   Since when do they not need the exact name on titles?   I call major BS on this one.   They are super picky about extra Ss but you can just change an article?

Plus that was a super easy question so 2 of the 3 missing it is awful.  

6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I loved how blown away Jen was by her win.  I thought she was about to start hypervenilating.

So did I.  

I said "Marguerite, no that's not right" but couldn't get to the right name in time.  Funny story, on one of my trips to Myrtle Beach, I saw a car in a parking lot with the bumper sticker "Go Cocks!"; I thought I'd taken a picture of that, but I can't find it now.

French letters?

It took me a moment to get FJ because I thought of The Old Rugged Cross first, but then Rock of Ages popped into my head and I could hear the lyrics and knew it was the right one.  I'm like the least religious person ever, but I've had to sing both of those at various family funerals.

I know a guy who was the literal gamecocks mascot in college. The mascots name is Cocky.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I said The Canterbury Tales.  

I got the missed clues of Earl of Sandwich, urchin and Platinum Blonde.

I got the entire category of lost and found right.

28 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

WTF?   Since when do they not need the exact name on titles?   I call major BS on this one.   They are super picky about extra Ss but you can just change an article?

I think since the beginning of time they have allowed the first article and only the first article of a title to be added or omitted, and I guess in this case changed.

• Love 4

FJ was almost an instaget for me, though I left off the article completely.

I got the TS/missed DD of Sandwich, Burlington, and Gloucester.  I said Salt Lake for that clue, but didn't say Salt Lake Valley -- do you think I would have been ruled correct?  Or asked to BMS? 

Brolin definitely needed a BMS. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I said Salt Lake for that clue, but didn't say Salt Lake Valley -- do you think I would have been ruled correct?  Or asked to BMS? 

"Valley" was in the clue so I'd think they'd accept just Salt Lake.

For FJ, I knew the reference was to the Canterbury Tales but I was trying to think of a similar city-named book. Then I felt dumb.

• Love 4
(edited)
52 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I said The Canterbury Tales.  

I got the missed clues of Earl of Sandwich, urchin and Platinum Blonde.

I got the entire category of lost and found right.

I think since the beginning of time they have allowed the first article and only the first article of a title to be added or omitted, and I guess in this case changed.

Omitting the I don't have a problem with and I know that's allowed. 

Changing is different though and should not be allowed.  I don't want to argue semantics over meanings of articles but.....I guess that's my problem and what it comes down to. 'The' and 'a' handmaid's tale are not the same thing. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 2
On 7/8/2021 at 11:41 AM, saber5055 said:

Be sure to include me in your category of Terrible Guesses with my E Street Band headed by The Boss. Although I see one other poster joins me at the Terrible Guess table.

Um...I guessed Fleetwood Mac (Stevie is short for Stephanie). Do I win worst guess 😆

51 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Omitting the I don't have a problem with and I know that's allowed. 

Changing is different though and should not be allowed.  I don't want to argue semantics over meanings of articles but.....I guess that's my problem and what it comes down to. 'The' and 'a' handmaid's tale are not the same thing. 

I agree.

I can, however, thank tonight's instaget of THE Handmaid's Tale for preventing me from having a third straight week at 0/5. It's been a really rough few weeks for me, but 1985 + Canadian author made this one easy for me.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Plus that was a super easy question so 2 of the 3 missing it is awful.  

I was wondering if anyone else would cry foul on this. Also, although the Hulu series isn't the sensation it was back in 2017, it's still around, so I wasn't expecting two to have no idea and the third to bungle the title.

I also knew Sandwich, neon, and platinum blonde. 

• Love 3

I got quite a laugh out of Jen's pot belly answer for the Sandwich DD, and I love that she laughed as she said it.

The platinum blonde TS surprised me (not that nobody knew the film, or maybe even knew Jean Harlow these days, but that nobody looked at that picture and "two-word" and came up with the hair color; maybe they all, like Kathryn apparently did, thought only the film title had two words).  So did Salt Lake a bit.

I did not have a good first round.  I didn't know a single one in the comic book characters category, and I missed two each in literary (it would have only been one, but I couldn't spit out Vronsky in time) and food (Hamantaschen and Sandwich).

It just got worse in DJ.  There I blew Lost & Found in its entirety, and missed three in Broadway, two in ports, and one each in elements and In a Storm (I'd have needed be able to look at "blizzard" for longer to come up with Libra).

To cap it off, I didn't have a guess for FJ, and then wanted to bang my head on the desk when the response was revealed; I should have come up with that.  I haven't picked up through cultural osmosis anything about The Handmaid's Tale other than it exists, it was written by Margaret Atwood, and it was made into a TV series that won a bunch of awards.  Unfortunately, none of that was in the clue, so giving me the year and the nationality of the author didn't help me.  But 14th century "stories" (meaning the work is a collection) should have made me think of Canterbury Tales, and then I'm sure The Handmaid's Tale would have come to mind because of "tale" and I'd have figured that must be it given its recent resurgence popularity.  I screwed myself up by thinking, after my initial quick read of the clue, I had a better chance of coming up with the modern work and concentrating on that part of it.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I did not have a good first round.  I didn't know a single one in the comic book characters category, and I missed two each in literary (it would have only been one, but I couldn't spit out Vronsky in time) 

I did surprisingly well in the comic book category (I actually only got three but that's more than I would have expected in a category like that) and Vronsky was also the only one I missed in literary.

9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

To cap it off, I didn't have a guess for FJ, and then wanted to bang my head on the desk when the response was revealed; I should have come up with that.  I haven't picked up through cultural osmosis anything about The Handmaid's Tale other than it exists, it was written by Margaret Atwood, and it was made into a TV series that won a bunch of awards.  Unfortunately, none of that was in the clue, so giving me the year and the nationality of the author didn't help me.  But 14th century "stories" (meaning the work is a collection) should have made me think of Canterbury Tales, and then I'm sure The Handmaid's Tale would have come to mind because of "tale" and I'd have figured that must be it given its recent resurgence popularity.  I screwed myself up by thinking, after my initial quick read of the clue, I had a better chance of coming up with the modern work and concentrating on that part of it.

I knew Atwood was Canadian, and I have read the book, and if I had to give a date I would probably have said it was published in the 80s. But I still didn't come up with it.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

When I was on the show (taped in November 2018), we were specifically told that articles - "a", "an" and "the" - are not required in the answer. 

• Useful 8
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

When I was on the show (taped in November 2018), we were specifically told that articles - "a", "an" and "the" - are not required in the answer. 

I knew you could leave if off, but wasn't sure if you could say/write the wrong one and be ruled correct.  Even playing at home, I tend to leave them off unless 100% sure just in case.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 7/7/2021 at 7:45 PM, ams1001 said:

Just based on the "lead singer goes by a nickname" part of the clue, The Police isn't a bad guess (though that didn't occur to me until the guy's answer was revealed), but the timeline doesn't fit. 

I considered it briefly, but ended up with U2, even though I don't actually follow the band.

On 7/8/2021 at 5:01 PM, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ tonight -- cleft led me to the right hymn. 

Me too - despite the fact that I'm not religious (I've dabbled, but it never stuck). I knew the hymn well before I ever attended church though. It's a lovely song.

19 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

French letters?

🤣

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

With the exception being that if there are two books (Invisible Man, The Invisible Man) where omitting the article would be a problem.

I got Handmaid's Tale pretty quickly, mostly by Atwood being a Canadian author and Canterbury Tales. I would have guessed the book was published in the 70's, as I thought I read it in school. But I guess I didn't. I watched some seasons of the show, but that didn't even enter my mind.

• Love 4

No clue for either of the past two FJs. The only “Rock of Ages” I’ve ever heard of is the Broadway musical. 

All I could think of for yesterday’s was The Canterbury Tales and I was trying to think if there was some novel that referenced “Canterbury.” For some reason I thought The Handmaids Tale was written much earlier like in the 60s so that never even occurred to me.

• Love 3
(edited)

Another okay game for me. I got the two ts's of Earl of Sandwich and Platinum Blonde.

Very quickly got FJ.  I was pretty sure they didn't count the article at the beginning unless it was the title of another book,  as noted by @Clanstarling.

Edited by Trey
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Atwood being a Canadian author and Canterbury Tales.

I'm a huge fan of Atwood, and Canterbury Tales was the giveaway.

6 hours ago, Trey said:

Earl of Sandwich

I thought that was easy, but apparently not.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I thought of Earl of Sandwich, but I didn’t know it was a business.

I just looked them up; they only have 31 locations in the US (plus 1 in France, 2 in Canada, and 3 in the Philippines). The only one in my state is in Terminal A2 at Newark Liberty International Airport. Don't think I'll be trying them out any time soon.

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I just looked them up; they only have 31 locations in the US (plus 1 in France, 2 in Canada, and 3 in the Philippines). The only one in my state is in Terminal A2 at Newark Liberty International Airport. Don't think I'll be trying them out any time soon.

The only one I've been to is the one at Walt Disney World, and that's how I was able to get it.  I wish they were more widespread; they make good sandwiches.

• Useful 3
7 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

The only one I've been to is the one at Walt Disney World, and that's how I was able to get it.  I wish they were more widespread; they make good sandwiches.

The one in France is at DisneyLand Paris.

2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

There is one in Boston Commons I walked by a couple of days ago, so it was fresh in my mind. Have been to the Disney one, and there’s one in Las Vegas. We like them. 

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I've never actually heard of the Earl of Sandwich sandwich shops, but sandwich was the only thing that made sense to me in the context of the clue.

I definitely knew about the Earl of Sandwich, as in a title, not the shops.

• Love 5

FJ was an instaget.

The only missed clue I got was decongestant.

I got the entire categories of land nicknames and TV theme songs right.

Just for your entertainment I said George Gershwin instead of George Sands and the Grand Prix (although at least that one I didn't actually know).

• LOL 2