Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

9 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I wasn't paying attention at the beginning: Did Sanjay explain in the "two i's" category that the only vowels in the word were two i's?

According to the archive, yes: "The only vowels in each response are gonna be 2 "I"s."

I enjoyed playing last night’s game. I got caffeine, the missed DD of coal, Barack Obama, dulcet, the other DD of Lourdes, anterior Cruciate ligament, and dura matter. Seems like I was the only person totally lost on FJ. I still don’t understand the reference or why it was so easy for everyone else. 

• Love 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

But there was a Banksy question on College Bowl tonight...

Or was there?

Neil Diamond is considered the Jewish Elvis?

Edited by ABay
  • LOL 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I still don’t understand the reference or why it was so easy for everyone else. 

I remember when the story was in the news. Ohio State always makes such a big deal about people always having to say “THE” when saying the name of the university. It’s so stupid (I say as a UM fan.)

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I still don’t understand the reference or why it was so easy for everyone else. 

Ditto.  If it made the news, I missed it.  All the contestants knew, and put "The" in their answers.

Otherwise, not too bad a game for me.  I got the ts's or missed DDs of dulcet, the Killer, Neil Diamond, Lourdes, and Victoria Day.

Seven days for Courtney.  I wonder how long her reign will last.

• Love 1
(edited)

For FJ, I thought Stanford because their sports team are know as The Cardinal, forgetting they aren’t a public university. When I saw the answer, I remembered “The” Ohio State University story in the news.

Courtney is doing very well. Exciting to see a streak greater than 5 again.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 3

I thought about you @BuckeyeLou when I saw yesterday's FJ. It was easy for me, too, since I lived three blocks east of the OSU student union during my junior and senior years. Even though that was during the Woody Hayes vs. Bo Schembechler days (Hi, @Grundoon59!), I tend to listen when The Ohio State is mentioned anywhere.

Still grousing about the French blue bogus FJ. Five years of studio painting classes and a tackle box full of every color known to man in watercolor, acrylic and oil paints and not one single FRENCH blue in there anywhere. Yes, Prussian blue and yes, ultramarine blue but French blue? No way in hell. I'm guessing it's a new invented color, like Crayola adds a new "color" with a made-up name every season.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Yay!  My Alma Mater was THE answer tonite!  Oh-IO :)

I would have had to editorialize, accompanied by a wrinkled nose. Was kind of surprised that Dr. Gupta didn't express his disdain, given that he is also an alum of THE University of Michigan :)

• LOL 5

I didn't have a clue about The Ohio State University.  I don't follow sports at all or know as much as I should about Ohio.  Once it was revealed, I had a vague sense that I'd read a headline or something about their application, but where was it 45 seconds ago?  I guess I would have said The Citadel, just to put something down.

I'm sure I'm projecting but I felt a little bad for Alex.  Your one chance to be on J! and tell the world about yourself, and the producers' pick from your list is "I was never an athlete but my sister is a world champion."  I guess no one made him mention it if he didn't want to be asked about it.  Good for him, being a proud sibling.

I wasn't sure I liked "the Coronado."  It's the Hotel del Coronado, colloquially the Hotel Del or just the Del.  But I've never heard "the Coronado."  It certainly is beautiful, whatever you call it.  San Diego was my last trip before COVID and, while I couldn't justify the cost of a room there, a cocktail at their beach bar was worth every penny.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I thought about you @BuckeyeLou when I saw yesterday's FJ. It was easy for me, too, since I lived three blocks east of the OSU student union during my junior and senior years. Even though that was during the Woody Hayes vs. Bo Schembechler days (Hi, @Grundoon59!), I tend to listen when The Ohio State is mentioned anywhere.

Still grousing about the French blue bogus FJ. Five years of studio painting classes and a tackle box full of every color known to man in watercolor, acrylic and oil paints and not one single FRENCH blue in there anywhere. Yes, Prussian blue and yes, ultramarine blue but French blue? No way in hell. I'm guessing it's a new invented color, like Crayola adds a new "color" with a made-up name every season.

Yep, I worked in the old Student Union building :)  And I, too, have never heard of "French" Blue....

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Still grousing about the French blue bogus FJ. Five years of studio painting classes and a tackle box full of every color known to man in watercolor, acrylic and oil paints and not one single FRENCH blue in there anywhere.

dickblick.com/items/winsor--newton-winton-oil-color-french-ultramarine-37-ml-tube/

dickblick.com/items/daniel-smith-extra-fine-watercolor-french-ultramarine-5-ml-tube/

image.thumb.png.d413e10c3b8513fdacf1a65e3662d48d.png

Edited by shapeshifter
(edited)
On 7/5/2021 at 10:27 PM, Bastet said:

The rap sheet TS was surprising

I work in the courts and didn't get it.  I've never heard it at work, but you'd think I'd remember it from Law & Order.

I knew I was doomed as soon as I saw colleges & universities as last night's FJ.  I was correct, in that I had not a clue which school it was.

On 7/6/2021 at 8:51 AM, Clanstarling said:
On 7/5/2021 at 8:45 PM, M. Darcy said:

Aw, no one knew Possession. Wonderful book - the movie not so much (the Victorian portions were good, the modern painful to watch). 

I'd only heard of the movie. Which didn't look too interesting.

The book is fantastic, although there is a big section in the middle which is just Victorian-esque poetry and prose.  Which I love, but not everyone does.  The modern portions of the movie were bad - Aaron Eckhart & Gwyneth Paltrow were horribly miscast - but Jennifer Ehle & Jeremy Northam as the Victorian poets made up for it.

FJ the other night - like many of you, I got Gulf of Tonkin but had no idea about the other "T" gulf.

18 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of caffeine, coal, dulcet and Lourdes.

I got those, plus anterior cruciate ligament (thanks, all you soccer players who've blown out your ACLs for that one), Neil Diamond and the Killer, although the last did take a second.  I should've known Fab Five Freddy, but he got stuck somewhere between my brain and mouth.  

I missed both Ex Machina & the Coronado hotel.  Never seen either movie.

I wanna eat at Whac-a-Mole. (can't do the accent)

16 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

UVA (from the famous rotunda in the background, like the one at the Jefferson Memorial and Monticello).

That's how I knew it.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

French blue is definitely a color in fashion.  I've heard men's shirts described as that color and I once saw a listing for a vintage Fortuny Delphos gown in French blue.  The clue didn't say that both were pigments.

Example: https://www.menswearhouse.com/p/pronto-uomo-french-blue-dress-shirt-54PD55PD56PD92

I'm at work and can't access the listing for the French blue Delphos gown, but here is a bit about the history of the Fortuny Delphos Gown from their website: 

"1907

Delphos Gown

Fortuny creates the Delphos gown – described by Marcel Proust as “faithfully antique but markedly original.” The simplicity and timeless quality of his garments have made them permanently up-to-date.

Before the Delphos gown, Fortuny begins his work in fashion and textiles by creating the Knossos scarf which is designed for theater and quickly becomes popular. Fortuny continues production until the 1930s"

So French blue is not a recent invention.

Edited by proserpina65
added example of french blue shirt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I worked in the old Student Union building

I was there every Friday night for the free movies!

@proserpina65: Okay, I will concede French blue as a fashion color. Just not on an artist's palette.

ETA: ACL was easy for me since, thanks to a young horse I was training, I am missing one in my right leg. If I step or am pushed laterally on that leg, my knee goes out and I go down like a sack of potatoes. It's rather painful.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
(edited)
19 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Nobody knew The Killer? My mom called me up and asked me if I knew that one. God, yes, I knew that one...Old time rockers are right in my wheelhouse...and I am bummed no one knew Neil Diamond. These contestants are just TOO young....

I must admit I felt very old knowing those two. I used to sing all of Diamond's songs in my room as a teen. Jerry Lee was too old for me (but then he was too old for his wife too...sorry, couldn't help it)

9 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I enjoyed playing last night’s game. I got caffeine, the missed DD of coal, Barack Obama, dulcet, the other DD of Lourdes, anterior Cruciate ligament, and dura matter. Seems like I was the only person totally lost on FJ. I still don’t understand the reference or why it was so easy for everyone else. 

I didn't get ACL's full name or dura matter. But I did get the other ones. I was stumped on "The" - even my husband the college sport fan was stumped.

8 hours ago, ABay said:

Or was there?

Neil Diamond is considered the Jewish Elvis?

He used to wear jumpsuits like Elvis. A little less flashy, as I recall.  There was a time jumpsuits were in fashion. I never got one because I wasn't sure what to do with the top part if I had to go potty.

4 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

For FJ, I thought Stanford because their sports team are know as The Cardinal, forgetting they aren’t a public university. When I saw the answer, I remembered “The” Ohio State University story in the news.

Courtney is doing very well. Exciting to see a streak greater than 5 again.

I thought of Stanford for that reason, and then remembered they were private.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

I was there every Friday night for the free movies!

@proserpina65: Okay, I will concede French blue as a fashion color. Just not on an artist's palette.

ETA: ACL was easy for me since, thanks to a young horse I was training, I am missing one in my right leg. If I step or am pushed laterally on that leg, my knee goes out and I go down like a sack of potatoes. It's rather painful.

Sorry to hear about your knee.  That sounds very painful.

I'll confess, if I had $13,000 to throw away on a dress I'd never wear, I'd have bought that Delphos gown.  I probably could have worn it, because it's not fitted, but that would mess up all the thousands of pleats and most likely it can no longer be returned to the company to be re-pleated.  That's what women had to do at the time because the actual process was a company secret.

2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

He used to wear jumpsuits like Elvis. A little less flashy, as I recall.  There was a time jumpsuits were in fashion. I never got one because I wasn't sure what to do with the top part if I had to go potty.

Fewer sequins but a lot more fringe.  Yeah, the bathroom mechanics are a problem with jumpsuits.

• Love 3

Ran only Toys & Games and Spiders (for which I was grateful there were no visual clues). Nothing in the second round. Got two of the DDs and FJ.

Missed clues I got: orb weavers, drupe, Cimarron, and Western/Wailing Wall.

Meh game, 61%.

• Love 3

I got FJ.  Not an instaget, but I got it.

I got the missed clues of Harley Quinn, Claus, Island of Dr. Moreau,Cimarron and Wailing Wall.

I got the entire category of working out right which is funny because I'm totally allergic to exercise.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Catching up from Tuesday -- FJ was an instaget, and I wrote it with the "THE" as well.  I also got the TS of caffeine, coal, Obama, dulcet, Lourdes, anterior cruciate ligament, dura mater, and UVA (ugh).  

Tonight's FJ was so much of an instaget that I thought I couldn't possibly be correct, but it was the only one that made sense to me.  The Police?  Terrible guess!  

Tonight's TS that I managed were Reagan, orb, Island of Dr. Moreau, drupe, fish, Cimarron, and Wailing Wall. I hate spiders!  I hated that category!  Sooooo glad there weren't photos!  And yet somehow I ran it.  Know thine enemy, I guess.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was shocked that someone with such broad knowledge couldn't come up with the Western Wall for his DD, but then Keshav missed FJ too. 
However, I do recall playing Jeopardy-like games with my son-in-law's extended family and learning that one of them was better at quick answers only and another was better with time to think.

So Sanjay announced on national TV that Courtney Shah is going to be coming back for the Tournament of Champions because she won 7 games. I thought it wasn't that simple?

I'm glad they didn't zoom in on her face when she looked crestfallen at her loss. Reality shows would have.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ.  Not an instaget, but I got it.

I got the missed clues of Harley Quinn, Claus, Island of Dr. Moreau,Cimarron and Wailing Wall.

I got the entire category of working out right which is funny because I'm totally allergic to exercise.

Bono Is A Pox.  There’s FJ.

I too managed to answer all of the working out category despite my severe exercise allergy. 

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'll confess, if I had $13,000 to throw away on a dress I'd never wear, I'd have bought that Delphos gown. 

I was raised near Delphos, Kansas, and I've also been to Delphos, Ohio. The founders of the Kansas Delphos were from the Ohio Delphos. Anyway, I learned about the Delphos dress when searching on ebay for something else Delphos! 

• Love 3

I didn't get U2, though it made sense when I heard it.  All I could come up with was Bruce Springstein and the e street band though I have no idea when their last #1 happened.  

Im old fashioned I guess hate the blue hair in the new champ. 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I didn't get U2, though it made sense when I heard it.  All I could come up with was Bruce Springstein and the e street band though I have no idea when their last #1 happened.  

Same for me regarding U2. I guessed Kiss though I was sure it was wrong.

Weirdly, according to The Insider, Springsteen has never had a #1 hit! The closest was "Dancing in the Dark," which peaked at #2.

• Useful 5
(edited)

Just to gently point out, "Wailing Wall" is considered by many these days to be a derogatory term (the preferred term is Western Wall).

From The Times of Israel: 

"This commonly used . . . term is an ancient form of delegitimizing Jewish history by diminishing Jewish anguish at the loss of the ancient Jewish Temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 CE."

Edited by Leeds
  • Useful 4

Courtney was the only one who heard me yelling, louder with each wrong answer, "North Korea!" through the TV.

I didn't do as well as I usually do in the first round.  I only ran working out and campaign slogans, and I blew animation, missing all but one.  I also missed one each in toys, suffix, and spiders.

I did about the same in DJ.  I only ran directors and wall, and missed three in confused, two each in DR and Marshall (it would have just been one, but, like Courtney, I added an S to Marshall Field's last name), and one in novels.

FJ came to me quickly - as an educated guess, not a yes, I know this to be a fact situation, but trying to think of what other band might fit the clue didn't yield any other guess, so I semi-confidently stuck with it.

• Love 1

I was so proud of myself for getting Final Jeopardy and it was way too easy but that's okay. I like feeling smart.

I rarely ever boo contestants but the guy who guessed Biden instead of Reagan instantly had me rooting against him so when he guessed Police, I was relieved as I am so glad he didn't win.

I feel awful for saying all of that but then again, I got FJ and I feel smart so there's that....

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

FJ came to me quickly - as an educated guess, not a yes, I know this to be a fact situation, but trying to think of what other band might fit the clue didn't yield any other guess, so I semi-confidently stuck with it.

Same here. 

Just based on the "lead singer goes by a nickname" part of the clue, The Police isn't a bad guess (though that didn't occur to me until the guy's answer was revealed), but the timeline doesn't fit. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

The Police?  Terrible guess!  

I thought that wasn’t a bad guess if you’re trying to think of a band with a lead singer who goes by a nickname and has hits in the 1980s.

39 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

I rarely ever boo contestants but the guy who guessed Biden instead of Reagan instantly had me rooting against him so when he guessed Police, I was relieved as I am so glad he didn't win.

I thought that was a hilarious answer. I knew it was Reagan, but I liked what he was thinking.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Same here. 

Just based on the "lead singer goes by a nickname" part of the clue, The Police isn't a bad guess (though that didn't occur to me until the guy's answer was revealed), but the timeline doesn't fit. 

I didn't know Bono was a nickname. I, too, went with The Police based on the name "Sting."

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Courtney was the only one who heard me yelling, louder with each wrong answer, "North Korea!" through the TV.

You need to shout louder.  I didn't hear you either and I could have used the help.

• LOL 7
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I didn't know Bono was a nickname. I, too, went with The Police based on the name "Sting."

His real name is Paul David Hewson.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

I guess I jinxed Courtney with my last post.  Sorry, Courtney.

Not a great game for me.  I did not get FJ.  I came up with Black Eyed Peas but they are short one decade.

• Love 4
(edited)
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Tonight's FJ was so much of an instaget that I thought I couldn't possibly be correct, but it was the only one that made sense to me.  The Police?  Terrible guess!  

Be sure to include me in your category of Terrible Guesses with my E Street Band headed by The Boss. Although I see one other poster joins me at the Terrible Guess table.

15 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

Bono Is A Pox.

I think you mean Bono is a Fox.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 9
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

So Sanjay announced on national TV that Courtney Shah is going to be coming back for the Tournament of Champions because she won 7 games. I thought it wasn't that simple?

One also has to achieve a certain amount of $ won on top of five games. Sometimes five games aren't needed if the player wins enough cash. Courtney achieved both with seven wins and more than $100,000.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

One also has to achieve a certain amount of $ won on top of five games.

If a contestant wins five games they are automatically in the ToC.  If there aren't enough five-time winners then four time winners are eligible, ranked by their total winnings.  Also, winner of Teacher's tournament and College tournament are automatically in the ToC.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
22 minutes ago, Trey said:

If a contestant wins five games they are automatically in the ToC.  If there aren't enough five-time winners then four time winners are eligible, ranked by their total winnings.  Also, winner of Teacher's tournament and College tournament are automatically in the ToC.

But, what happens if there are more than 13 5 time champs?  I don't think it's ever happened, but it theoretically could.  There are 52 weeks a year minus 6 weeks vacation minus 8-10 weeks of tournaments, which means that there could conceivably be 36 5 time champs.  

• Useful 1
43 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I think you mean Bono is a Fox.

Decidedly NOT!!  LOL

“Bono is a pox” was a very common bit of graffiti back home.  At any rate it made this FJ an instaget for me.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3

Be sure to include me in your category of Terrible Guesses with my E Street Band headed by The Boss. Although I see one other poster joins me at the Terrible Guess table.

Bruce and the gang are at least still together.  Sting has been a solo act since the mid-80s.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, Katy M said:

But, what happens if there are more than 13 5 time champs? 

I am not an expert on the rules but I believe they would just cut off the time for qualifying for any one ToC, since they are not held at regular intervals anymore, if they ever were.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

The show's website currently states: "All 4-time and over winning players starting from 01/05/21 will be eligible for a future Tournament of Champions.  Presence on this list does NOT guarantee an invitation to compete in the Tournament of Champions. Other eligibility rules apply and final selection is up to the producers' sole discretion."

The magic number has definitely been 5 in the past, but it is 4 now.  I guess it could be 6 if that's what they wanted.  It's certainly true that the tournaments are not held at any specified intervals these days.  And of course the second and third sentences are just boilerplate reinforcing that they can ultimately pick whoever they want for any reason.

In other news, having lived there almost 20 years, I wonder why Sanjay pronounced "Marry-land" like a bizarre word he had never heard before. 

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

In other news, having lived there almost 20 years, I wonder why Sanjay pronounced "Marry-land" like a bizarre word he had never heard before. 

I didn't notice that.  Weird, we who were born here never pronounce it that way.  More like "Marilin" actually; two short 'i's and no 'd' at all.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm declaring this not a bad guess at all! It didn't occur to me, but it makes sense!

• Love 2

Jen with an awesome $42K payday.

She got all three DDs and had healthy wagers on the first two.  She bet conservatively on the third DD and so did not get a runaway.

And another reason it not a runaway is that Nikole accumulated $16K by the end of DJ without the help of any DDs, which is a good performance in itself.

A well played game.

For FJ, I guessed "A Mighty Fortress is Our God."  Hey, I go to Catholic church.  What do I know about Anglican hymns?

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I thought that wasn’t a bad guess if you’re trying to think of a band with a lead singer who goes by a nickname and has hits in the 1980s.

I said Police too. I didn't think it was a bad guess.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Roaster said:

Jen with an awesome $42K payday.

She got all three DDs and had healthy wagers on the first two.  She bet conservatively on the third DD and so did not get a runaway.

And another reason it not a runaway is that Nikole accumulated $16K by the end of DJ without the help of any DDs, which is a good performance in itself.

A well played game.

For FJ, I guessed "A Mighty Fortress is Our God."  Hey, I go to Catholic church.  What do I know about Anglican hymns?

I'd say I got spoiled, but it's NBA finals instead of Jeopardy tonight.