Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

5 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I said Shenandoah, and was absolutely sure it was right.  I thought it was in West Virginia (John Denver said so!), but apparently it's not the one Jefferson was talking about.

Exactly my thinking.  I was so sure it was right.

Only one more chance to not get skunked this week.

• Love 2
(edited)

I did okay, nothing spectacular and no FJ, though I did get some TSs (recombinant, semi-colon, Hoyle).

I was waiting for a clue about Shakespeare and the Globe theater, and they obliged. The anniversary of the Globe burning down was this week. I'm researching a theory about timing of questions. So far so good. If only they were FJ questions.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I look at the Ohio River every day and I had no idea it was the one Jefferson was referring to.

Maybe because the clue said it was "no longer IN Virginia" and the Ohio has never been IN Virginia. It's the same as saying the Mississippi is IN Illinois -- it BORDERS Illinois (except for when it floods), just like the Ohio used to BORDER Virginia. Poor clue writing again.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Maybe because the clue said it was "no longer IN Virginia" and the Ohio has never been IN Virginia. It's the same as saying the Mississippi is IN Illinois -- it BORDERS Illinois (except for when it floods), just like the Ohio used to BORDER Virginia. Poor clue writing again.

In Jefferson's time, the Ohio River was in Virginia. It wasn't until 1784 that Virginia gave up its territory north and west of the Ohio.

http://www.virginiaplaces.org/boundaries/boundaryk.html

• Useful 4
34 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

In Jefferson's time, the Ohio River was in Virginia. It wasn't until 1784 that Virginia gave up its territory north and west of the Ohio.

Well heck, I google searched that and didn't find that info anywhere, just that it bordered what used to be Virginia and is now West Virginia. Go figure, the Internet let me down.

• Love 3

So we know Sanjay owns two suits and whomever is dressing him is smart enough to alternate days. Thursday's tie was the baby born when Monday's tie mated with Tuesday's tie. Happy birthday, Thursday tie. Will Friday's tie be a child of Wednesday's tie? Tune in and find out. Plus it's grey-suit day today. Woo hoo.

• LOL 8
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I would assume that when a river defines the border between two states, then half of it exists in one state, and half in the other. I could be wrong, but I don't believe a river is a separate entity geographically. Even when it borders Virginia, it's still in Virginia (as an example).

30 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

So we know Sanjay owns two suits and whomever is dressing him is smart enough to alternate days. Thursday's tie was the baby born when Monday's tie mated with Tuesday's tie. Happy birthday, Thursday tie. Will Friday's tie be a child of Wednesday's tie? Tune in and find out. Plus it's grey-suit day today. Woo hoo.

I'm really gonna laugh if he's not wearing a gray suit tonight.

• LOL 2
7 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I said Shenandoah, and was absolutely sure it was right.  I thought it was in West Virginia (John Denver said so!), but apparently it's not the one Jefferson was talking about.

Same here! My history background failed me :(

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SyracuseMug said:

I would assume that when a river defines the border between two states, then half of it exists in one state, and half in the other.

Taking to  small talk.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SyracuseMug said:

I would assume that when a river defines the border between two states, then half of it exists in one state, and half in the other.

Actually, the river in its entirety is in one state with the other state's border starting on the bank of the river. For example, the Ohio River between Ohio and Kentucky is in Kentucky. A friend of mine got married on a riverboat on the Ohio and had to get a Kentucky marriage license.  

• Useful 2
9 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I'm both a West Virginian and a John Denver fan, so my guess was the Shenandoah. In all my reading about Jefferson, I don't remember him ever going west of the Appalachian Mountains. I don't think he ever saw the Ohio!

• Love 2

Double Foul!!  Foul on "Burning the night oil" (the clue even mentioned "timely" and "night" is not a time). Foul on "Baskin and Robbins". It's never "Baskin and Robbins"--it's Baskin Robbins (no "and" and usually a "-"). The "and" wasn't my imagination---even the j-archive says that she said "and". Shame on you J! for accepting these answers

• Love 17

I’m surprised the entire neighbourhood didn’t hear me screaming!  “Night oil” was so totally wrong as it was missing part of the answer that I kept waiting for her score to be corrected.  Do they not have judges any more?!

• Love 11

I didn't have the foggiest clue for FJ.  I was trying to think of a song that had something to do with peanuts.  Head slap!

I got the missed clue of York.

I got the entire category of phrase right. And I'm going to have to look up night oil, because I'm pretty sure it's only midnight oil.

10 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Double Foul!!  Foul on "Burning the night oil" (the clue even mentioned "timely" and "night" is not a time). Foul on "Baskin and Robbins". It's never "Baskin and Robbins"--it's Baskin Robbins (no "and" and usually a "-"). The "and" wasn't my imagination---even the j-archive says that she said "and". Shame on you J! for accepting these answers

Yes, on both of those.  

• Love 4

My people!  I also call double foul on the night oil and Baskin and Robbins responses.  Those are just wrong wrong wrong.

Good wagering by the champ.  I missed FJ -- the only song I could think of by The Band was The Weight, and that didn't make sense at all.  I figured it was for Carter, but I had no idea The Band recorded that song.

I did get the TS of Bay of Fundy, puffball (I have a lot of those in my yard in the fall!), ergot, and Asimov.  

• Love 4

Alright, I googled it and there are instances of "burning the night oil" no, mid. So, I guess they would give credit for that.  However Baskin-Robbins is a proper name of a business and there is no AND in it.  No ifs, ands, or buts on that.  See what I did there?

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only one who was very annoyed that "night oil" was accepted as the correct answer/question.  Alex might have said, "Be more specific" or he might have asked the judges for their opinion, or he might have said that the answer/question was incorrect, but he would not have accepted it.  I've noticed that all this time of guest hosts, there has never been announcement of "sorry, even though I said that you were correct, it turns out that you were incorrect."  Maybe the judges don't want to embarrass the guest hosts.

And ITA agree about that Baskin and Robbins thing.  I distinctly heard the word "and" and I knew that the answer/question was incorrect.  Alex would have caught it and would have said that it was incorrect.  In the unlikely event that he wouldn't have caught it, I'm sure the judges would have heard it and said something.

• Love 7

I wasn't impressed with "night oil," but if a citation can be found, I accept it.  But "Baskin & Robbins" too?  I think not.  Would they accept Wells & Fargo, Norfolk & Southern, Mercedes & Benz, or Fisher & Price?    B & R is certainly not an uncommon error, but I don't think that's reason to accept it.

I wondered whether there was a chance the company used that name in the past, even though the clue was about the current logo.  But their ice cream parlors before they joined up had totally different names, then they used another  and it seems their combined name was the familiar one from the start.

With the added effect of the guest hosts, all this loose judging makes me feel at times like we're screwing around watching a cassette with the substitute teacher.  And as in childhood, I'm waiting for somebody serious to come back around.

Very disappointed that I missed FJ.  Songs of the 20s/30s ought to be right in my wheelhouse, and I am definitely familiar with that one.  I was thinking too much about candidates by name rather than about who they were more broadly.  One of the last films I saw before COVID was a documentary about The Band.  I really hadn't heard of them before, and while I enjoyed the movie and learned a few things, the music didn't stay with me a bit.  Oh well.

• Love 4
(edited)
41 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I was yelling, 'no! not correct!' I almost edited my other comment after the Baskin-Robbins (which is how it's written on Wikipedia)  clue but I got distracted.

17 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I wondered whether there was a chance the company used that name in the past, 

I searched the Wikipedia article for the phrase Baskin and Robbins and it only occurred where it was referring to the two people, not the company name (and not at all with an ampersand). So I'm going with no.

13 minutes ago, Driad said:

Very cool!

I didn't get FJ but in my defense I was 13 months old when the 1976 election happened.

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I didn't get FJ but in my defense I was 13 months old when the 1976 election happened.

My excuse for missing FJ is that during the 1976 election I was living in a pottery commune on a small Island off the coast of Vancouver Island without electricity. 
So I knew it was Carter, but nothing of the campaign.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

My logic as well!

And add me to the list of people who hadn't heard "burning the night oil" before - just midnight oil!

• Love 5

Good game, and good for Courtney securing a spot in the ToC.

I did just okay in the first round, where I usually excel; I missed two each in famous names and shapes, and one in TV high schools.  Only missing one of those is thanks to cultural osmosis, as I've never seen any of the shows.

I also missed five in DJ, but that's a great score for me in that round. 

And, after three missed FJs in a row (two of which I didn't even have a guess for), I got FJ pretty quickly -- it didn't take long to arrive at Carter as the candidate, so then looking at the years and thinking about what would fit something particular about him, it came to me.

1 minute ago, Bastet said:

I did just okay in the first round, where I usually excel; I missed two each in famous names and shapes, and one in TV high schools.  Only missing one of those is thanks to cultural osmosis, as I've never seen any of the shows.

I watched two of the shows (Glee and Saved by the Bell) but I only missed one clue. I know enough people who watched Buffy to at least pick up the name of the town, and about the only thing I know about Gossip Girl is that it was set in NYC.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

You have another week to see his two suits and sad ties.

• LOL 5
14 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I'm both a West Virginian and a John Denver fan, so my guess was the Shenandoah. In all my reading about Jefferson, I don't remember him ever going west of the Appalachian Mountains. I don't think he ever saw the Ohio!

Part of the Shenandoah is in West Virginia - but most of it is still in Virginia! As are almost all of the Blue Ridge Mountains.  Good thing John Denver was a pretty good singer-songwriter; he'd never make a living as a geographer 😁

I also look at the Ohio River (and the Monongahela!) every day and didn't think of either.  Perhaps they looked prettier in TJ's time! I considered the New River (but that also runs through Virginia) and the Cheat River.  And ran out of time.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

It was before your time! LOL

• LOL 4
(edited)

14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Good wagering by the champ.  I missed FJ -- the only song I could think of by The Band was The Weight, and that didn't make sense at all.  I figured it was for Carter, but I had no idea The Band recorded that song.

I totally missed the Band part of the clue, as well as the 30s. I focused on what song could relate to Carter and was a hit. Once I thought about is origins - being from Georgia, "Georgia on my Mind" came to me pretty quickly (the Ray Charles version). Though I thought it was released later. We looked up the Hoagy Carmichael original version afterwards, and let's just say his singing left a lot to be desired.

14 hours ago, Katy M said:

Alright, I googled it and there are instances of "burning the night oil" no, mid. So, I guess they would give credit for that.  However Baskin-Robbins is a proper name of a business and there is no AND in it.  No ifs, ands, or buts on that.  See what I did there?

I did. 😉

14 hours ago, DedicatedFan said:

I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only one who was very annoyed that "night oil" was accepted as the correct answer/question.  Alex might have said, "Be more specific" or he might have asked the judges for their opinion, or he might have said that the answer/question was incorrect, but he would not have accepted it.  I've noticed that all this time of guest hosts, there has never been announcement of "sorry, even though I said that you were correct, it turns out that you were incorrect."  Maybe the judges don't want to embarrass the guest hosts.

I was wondering about that myself. It seems a good theory that they don't want to embarrass the guest hosts.

14 hours ago, 853fisher said:

With the added effect of the guest hosts, all this loose judging makes me feel at times like we're screwing around watching a cassette with the substitute teacher.  And as in childhood, I'm waiting for somebody serious to come back around.

Good metaphor. But I'm happy to keep watching the cassettes until the new school year.

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was yelling, 'no! not correct!' I almost edited my other comment after the Baskin-Robbins (which is how it's written on Wikipedia)  clue but I got distracted.

Me too. I repeated it more harshly a second or third time.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I totally missed the Band part of the clue, as well as the 30s. I focused on what song could relate to Carter and was a hit. Once I thought about is origins - being from Georgia, "Georgia on my Mind" came to me pretty quickly (the Ray Charles version). Though I thought it was released later. We looked up the Hoagy Carmichael original version afterwards, and let's just say his singing left a lot to be desired.

I might have gotten it if I'd missed the Band part of the clue!  I should have focused on Georgia.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

It seems a good theory that they don't want to embarrass the guest hosts.

I think that borders on violating FCC rules for game shows like J!so I don't think they are concerned about embarrassing the guest hosts.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Part of the Shenandoah is in West Virginia - but most of it is still in Virginia! As are almost all of the Blue Ridge Mountains.  Good thing John Denver was a pretty good singer-songwriter; he'd never make a living as a geographer 😁

Reading the Wikipedia article on "Take Me Home, Country Roads," it turns out that John Denver's co-writers were actually driving through Maryland when they started writing the song.  "West Virginia" was chosen largely because it fit the rhythm of the song.  They also considered "Massachusetts," of all places!

Speaking of songs, my guess for Friday's FJ was "This Land is Your Land."  I knew it was fairly old, and I heard it a lot when I was a kid, so I figured it might have been a recent hit in the early 70s.  It doesn't have any obvious connection to the '76 election, but it does have a sort of vaguely patriotic feeling (if you ignore the verses that are more critical of society, as many people do), so I thought a candidate might have used it as a campaign song.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'm really gonna laugh if he's not wearing a gray suit tonight.

I guess you had a somber evening since it was the third not-funny appearance of the gray suit, and second appearance of that spotted blue tie. At least now we know he has two suits and four ties. And one shirt. My wish is that Jeopardy is paying him enough so he can afford a third suit, or a navy blazer and some khakis. He could possibly afford them if he went to Good Will or another charity clothing store. I so hope he has more than one white shirt or that one is really getting a work out. Players and backstage people are no doubt thankful for the social distancing rule.

• LOL 4
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

I guess you had a somber evening since it was the third not-funny appearance of the gray suit, and second appearance of that spotted blue tie. At least now we know he has two suits and four ties. And one shirt. My wish is that Jeopardy is paying him enough so he can afford a third suit, or a navy blazer and some khakis. He could possibly afford them if he went to Good Will or another charity clothing store. I so hope he has more than one white shirt or that one is really getting a work out. Players and backstage people are no doubt thankful for the social distancing rule.

I'm sure CNN pays him plenty...maybe he's just one of those "capsule wardrobe" people...

15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My excuse for missing FJ is that during the 1976 election I was living in a pottery commune on a small Island off the coast of Vancouver Island without electricity. 
So I knew it was Carter, but nothing of the campaign.

I was too young to vote. I do remember Carter though.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I might have gotten it if I'd missed the Band part of the clue!  I should have focused on Georgia.

I missed it so completely that my husband started talking about the Band when the show was over, and I was "what's the Band got to do with anything?"

24 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I figure he didn't bring much luggage with him for the stint on Jeopardy - these are probably his on the road clothes.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
54 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I think that borders on violating FCC rules for game shows like J!so I don't think they are concerned about embarrassing the guest hosts.

Ahh, why'd you have to bring rules and logic into it? 😉

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

At least now we know he has two suits and four ties. And one shirt. My wish is that Jeopardy is paying him enough so he can afford a third suit, or a navy blazer and some khakis. He could possibly afford them if he went to Good Will or another charity clothing store. I so hope he has more than one white shirt or that one is really getting a work out. Players and backstage people are no doubt thankful for the social distancing rule.

If not just this:

49 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I missed it so completely that my husband started talking about the Band when the show was over, and I was "what's the Band got to do with anything?"

I figure he didn't bring much luggage with him for the stint on Jeopardy - these are probably his on the road clothes.

--then perhaps, like the titular character Monk (played by Tony Shalhoub), Sanjay has a closet full of gray suits and white shirts.

Or, like Mom, who loved fashion and used to boast about being a "clothes horse," nevertheless at one point in her 17 year-stint as an elementary school secretary bought 5 pastel colored, pullover sweaters to wear with her designer jeans to make it simpler to get dressed in the morning. 
I'm assuming Dr. Gupta has arrived at a similar state of fashion choices, although no doubt skipping the designer phase. 

Edited by shapeshifter
comma
  • Love 2

lol...

Yet it wasn’t the schedule he had trouble with. Gupta admitted he ran into a problem when Jeopardy! told him he needed to bring 10 suits with him to set. As the doctor joked, he didn’t have 10 suits to bring along in the first place.

“It was interesting, I took all my clothes out there. They wanted you to take 10 suits. I don’t have 10 suits,” Gupta said on Morning Express with Robin Meade.

“10?! Oh my gosh, who does?” Meade responded.

“Right. So they figured, I don’t know, I guess people who host game shows,” Gupta joked with Meade. “So I took [10] shirts, they had my shirts re-cleaned and they gave me different ties. I mean they changed like how I look, which I thought was great. But also, hey, I’ve been doing this for 20 years, I think I kind of got it. No, you’re going to wear this tie. So you’ll notice some different wardrobe [changes].”

https://outsider.com/news/entertainment/jeopardy-guest-host-dr-sanjay-gupta-reveals-behind-scenes-secret-wardrobe-show/

Another article says:

Gupta also shared that the show was extremely particular about how contestants responded, unsurprisingly. It's well-known that players have to respond in the form of a question, and Gupta revealed that if people didn't do so during "Double Jeopardy!", he was "told to 'stare down' the contestant until they either figured out their mistake or time ran out."

• Useful 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

Reading the Wikipedia article on "Take Me Home, Country Roads," it turns out that John Denver's co-writers were actually driving through Maryland when they started writing the song.  "West Virginia" was chosen largely because it fit the rhythm of the song.  They also considered "Massachusetts," of all places!

Speaking of songs, my guess for Friday's FJ was "This Land is Your Land."  I knew it was fairly old, and I heard it a lot when I was a kid, so I figured it might have been a recent hit in the early 70s.  It doesn't have any obvious connection to the '76 election, but it does have a sort of vaguely patriotic feeling (if you ignore the verses that are more critical of society, as many people do), so I thought a candidate might have used it as a campaign song.

I thought of This Land is your Land too I had no idea Georgia On My Mind was that old. BTW CNN did an excellent profile of Jimmy Carter called Jimmy Carter Rock and Roll President.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Thinking more about how I reasoned my way to "Georgia On My Mind" pretty quickly, I wonder if this is the second FJ in as many weeks made easier for me because I've watched Designing Women a ridiculous number of times.  I am positive the conversation about a Valentina Tereshkova question in the Trivial Pursuit game they played in one episode is the reason I was able to immediately answer with her full name rather than "the cosmonaut, first woman in space, oh what is her name ... Valentina something."

And now I wonder if "Georgia On My Mind" being the show's theme song (and thus something I heard repeatedly a few months ago when I most recently pulled out those DVDs) means it was closer to the front of my mental filing cabinet and thus easier to access as I thought about a really old song that was a hit in 1960 and would represent something about Jimmy Carter.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Here's the stupid thing about Georgia On My Mind... The lege didn't check when they made it the state song. At the time, it wasn't in the public domain (I don't know if it is now or not) so they had to pay royalties every time it was played.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I totally missed the Band part of the clue

I think the all-caps text may have had a role. I know I had to go back and reread it, wasting time thinking "wait, the band or The Band?" I can see how some could have skipped over that part of the clue.

5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Same for me. I got sidetracked thinking about The Band and "The Weight."

• Love 5
(edited)

Gupta also shared that the show was extremely particular about how contestants responded, unsurprisingly.

I rather doubt that, since "night oil" and "Baskin and Robbins" were deemed to be correct.

"the cosmonaut, first woman in space, oh what is her name ... Valentina something."

Ha ha ha!  That's exactly what I said when I saw the answer.  But I knew that I couldn't be correct, because I knew the first name, not the last name.

Edited by DedicatedFan
  • Love 3