Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

20 minutes ago, DedicatedFan said:

I obviously made a mistake in my previous post.  How do I edit it?

At the top of your post,   
on the right,   
click the three dots ---  
to get the Edit option 

🙂

6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

At the top of your post,   
on the right,   
click the three dots ---  
to get the Edit option 

Interesting; is that on a mobile browser or app?  Because on the "regular" forums.primetimer.com website, Edit is one of a row of icons below the post in the bottom left.  It's the pencil.

4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Interesting; is that on a mobile browser or app?  Because on the "regular" forums.primetimer.com website, Edit is one of a row of icons below the post in the bottom left.  It's the pencil.

Since the last forum software update,   
for me, on Safari on my iPhone and in Chrome on my PC,   
the Edit feature has been hidden under the three dots --- at the top right of the post.  

Are you on a Mac?

3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Since the last forum software update,   
for me, on Safari on my iPhone and in Chrome on my PC,   
the Edit feature has been hidden under the three dots --- at the top right of the post.  

Are you on a Mac?

No, Windows (with Firefox as my browser, AdBlock enabled), and I don't have three dots (or anything) at the top right of my posts.  It's just like it was before the update; Edit hangs out with Quote, Report, Share, etc. in the row of icons below the post content, in the lower left.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

There aren't three dots anywhere near my post.  I know what you mean because there are three dots on Facebook, but I don't see any here.  I did find the pencil, but I don't know how to edit properly, because I edited the post a few times, and I can't get it right.

I meant to quote the answer/question that it was Valentina something, because that's exactly what I said at hearing FJ, but I knew I wouldn't have been correct, because I knew only her first name, not her last name.

ETA:  I'm using Google Chrome on a PC desktop.  I guess I can edit plain text, but damned if I know how to edit text that includes a quote or two.

Edited by DedicatedFan
8 hours ago, DedicatedFan said:

There aren't three dots anywhere near my post.  I know what you mean because there are three dots on Facebook, but I don't see any here.  I did find the pencil, but I don't know how to edit properly, because I edited the post a few times, and I can't get it right.

I meant to quote the answer/question that it was Valentina something, because that's exactly what I said at hearing FJ, but I knew I wouldn't have been correct, because I knew only her first name, not her last name.

ETA:  I'm using Google Chrome on a PC desktop.  I guess I can edit plain text, but damned if I know how to edit text that includes a quote or two.

Me too (devices and software). Once you're in edit, there are icons at the top of the post - to quote something, use the " icon. To link something, use the icon that looks like an tilted 8 (left of the quote icon). It's supposed to be a link in a chain.

10 hours ago, DedicatedFan said:

If you want to edit the box itself, on a PC/Chrome, click the pencil to get into edit mode, and then just move your mouse over the quote box. You should see the border get slightly thicker and a little square appear just above the top left of the box. Click on that square and it will select the whole box (if you move your mouse off after clicking the box, the border will stay thicker and blue). You can then delete it by hitting the delete key, or copy/cut (using the keyboard shortcuts; right-clicking doesn't seem to work) and paste it somewhere else. You can also move the box within your post by clicking the square and dragging it up or down.

Your comment looks like it has two nested quote boxes. If you wanted to delete the whole thing, you can just select and delete the outer one. If you wanted to keep the inner one, you can select it, Ctrl-X to cut it, delete the outer box, and paste the inner one back into your post; alternatively, you can drag in the inner box out somewhere else and then delete the now-empty outer box. 

11 hours ago, DedicatedFan said:

I rather doubt that, since "night oil" and "Baskin and Robbins" were deemed to be correct.

lol...yeah, apparently they only told them about the 'form of a question' thing, not "half a correct response is not a correct response." Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades... and guest-hosted Jeopardy, apparently.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

You guys, how to find the EDIT pencil depends on what theme you are using, not the browser or computer brand. It's the three dots in upper right in IPS Default theme.

The edit "pencil" is at the bottom of the reply box in Light (Default) theme. I've not tried the Dark theme so don't know where it is there.

Browser or PC or Mac makes no difference.

To find/change the theme, go all the way to the bottom of the page, under the FB and Twitter logos, and click on the Theme down arrow.

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

If you wanted to delete the whole thing, you can just select and delete the outer one. If you wanted to keep the inner one, you can select it, Ctrl-X to cut it, delete the outer box, and paste the inner one back into your post; alternatively, you can drag in the inner box out somewhere else and then delete the now-empty outer box. 

Or just use your backspace delete key. Much simpler

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Or just use your backspace delete key. Much simpler

Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. I can't figure out why, exactly. 

• Love 2

Has anyone been unable to delete a name with an @ in front of it? I was responding to something here or another J! thread on my Kindle, accidentally clicked the wrong name from the choices after I add @ , and have been unable to delete it. Highlight and delete or backspace--still there, just backspace--still there. It only shows up on the Kindle, not my laptop or desktop.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

You guys, how to find the EDIT pencil depends on what theme you are using, not the browser or computer brand. It's the three dots in upper right in IPS Default theme.

Fun fact.  Apparently (at least for me), the IPS Default theme is the only one that doesn't have ads blocking the content.  

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, ABay said:

Has anyone been unable to delete a name with an @ in front of it?

I haven't come across that, but maybe a workaround is just cancel your reply and start over. If you've typed a long response, do a copy/paste into a text file to paste in a new response window.

I have noticed that if a @ name is in a sentence I've selected to quote, it does not copy/paste. This in the IPS Default theme.

9 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Fun fact.  Apparently (at least for me), the IPS Default theme is the only one that doesn't have ads blocking the content.  

Now that you mention it ... I hadn't noticed but yes, no ads in the IPS Default. Yeay!

• Love 1

I fixed my messed-up post!  Yay!

saber5005, thank you for telling me about the IPS Default theme.  I just switched to it, and the three dots appeared!  Yay!  I find that the three dots are easier to work with than the pencil.  YMMV.

ams1001, thank you for reminding me about Control-X.

And thank you to everyone else who offered help and didn't make me feel stupid.  (No one made me feel stupid!)

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, DedicatedFan said:

And thank you to everyone else who offered help and didn't make me feel stupid.  (No one made me feel stupid!)

You don't even want to know how long it took me to figure out how to get rid of an accidental quote box.  🙃

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

And now I vaguely remember that being why I chose the IPS Default (without the pencil). 

1 minute ago, Prevailing Wind said:

When I first joined, eons ago, it was stressed that we weren't supposed to use the @ before names.  Has that changed?

If you use the @ and select the correct name from the pop-up list, that person will get a notification that he/she was quoted or mentioned. If you don't use the @, then that person might find a random post with his/her name but no guarantees. In the IPS Default theme, official @ names are highlighted in blue. I joined in 2014 and never heard not to use the symbol, but don't trust me to know all the rules.

• Love 4

Exciting news everyone! When Jeopardy producers found out Dr. Gupta really does own just two suits, they bought him a new one to start his second week. Here's a sneak peek at what he will be wearing every day starting Monday, July 5. Photo from Jeopardy.com.

sanjayInYellow.jpg.eed0f8af0a14151d68d539c0396cb903.jpg

• Useful 1
  • LOL 13
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Exciting news everyone! When Jeopardy producers found out Dr. Gupta really does own just two suits, they bought him a new one to start his second week. Here's a sneak peek at what he will be wearing every day starting Monday, July 5. Photo from Jeopardy.com.

sanjayInYellow.jpg.eed0f8af0a14151d68d539c0396cb903.jpg

LOL I think we all get the point you're trying to make.  Maybe we should all agree to take the comments on hosts/contestants wardrobes to small talk/chit chat?

• Love 4

Ran animals and oscillation. Missed one in Literature, but it's one I'm not at all familiar with (Possession), so I'm not too mad. Only got half of FJ (Tonkin).

Got the missed clues of rap sheet, LaFite, Tom Jones, MRI, Foucault Pendulum, and, of course, marmoset.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Good for Courtney!  I don't quite see her coming and then she pulls it out.  In 4 of her 6 games so far, she has had either the fewest or the joint fewest correct answers of anyone onstage.  In the other 2, she had the most by a large margin.  Very interesting.

Anyway, I hope she does go to PEI and enjoys it.  My mother wanted to get up there for the same reason and we had a fantastic time.  I wish I had been a little older so it could have sunk in more.  Maybe we'll go again and run in to her.

The story of the Buddhas of Bamiyan is fascinating.  I hoped they would come up when I saw the category.  The Taliban claimed to have destroyed them in part as an offended response to foreign governments who offered cash to stabilize them, but not food aid.

I cleared Disney Movie Music.  I loved the "Tarzan" question because I can just about remember it as one of the first movies I saw in a theater, as a treat for the swim team.

Rebecca's dignified "I'm not going to [do the sprinkler]" really tickled me.  Sanjay looked like an idiot doing it, so I think she was wise there.

Lucky #7 for Courtney tomorrow?  We'll see.  And let's get a wacky jacket pattern or something from the host.  Keep us guessing. ;)

• Love 4

I could only get Tonkin.

I got the missed clues of frond and Foucault's Pendulum.

I got the entire categories of Disney and 4 letter words right.

Once again, I did pretty well in the first round and tanked the second.  The fact that I don't really drink really showed in that drink category. Only got the 400 clue.

• Love 1

I only got the Tonkin half of FJ tonight.  But I did get the TS of marmoset, fronds, MRI, and Foucault pendulum.

19 minutes ago, illdoc said:

How could they not have gotten "Rap Sheet", when they were spotted the R, the A and the P??????

I had no idea that the rap of rap sheet actually stood for anything.  I honestly never thought about what it might mean or stand for.

• Love 3

Is it at all a reflection on Sanjay's hosting style that he is the first guest host to have a champion go on for so many wins? 

I got MRI. 
Of course.
Next time I go for medical imaging I'm going to deadpan ask how many more before I get a free one just to see the reaction.

I too only got Tonkin.

31 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Omg...that voice!!🤑

Heh. Yeah. She did have a 🙀voice.
But I loved the way she said "I'm not going to do that" when Sanjay asked her to demonstrate the sprinkler. 
If she had one funny line each game, I wouldn't mind if she won. 
I guess. 🙀

• Love 4
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

How could they not have gotten "Rap Sheet", when they were spotted the R, the A and the P??????

That's something I learned today!  Learn stuff watching Jeopardy.  I never really though about why it was called a rap sheet.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

I had no idea what they were going for. It was kind of a duh moment when he gave the answer, but I was probably trying to overcomplicate it.

• Love 3

The rap sheet TS was surprising (I didn't know that's what it stood for, either, but I figured at least one of them would join me in figuring it out based on the clue).

I was terrible in the Disney category, missing three (and the two I got were through cultural osmosis; I've never seen any of the films).  I also missed one each in animals (the marmoset TS) and Sesame Street (golf), but got everything else in the first round.

In DJ, Literature was my crappy category, missing three of those, too.  I only ran oscillation.  I missed two in TV doctors, and one each in the rest.

So, not my best, but not bad, and I got FJ, so it was a good game overall.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I only got the Tonkin half of FJ tonight.  But I did get the TS of marmoset, fronds, MRI, and Foucault pendulum.

I had no idea that the rap of rap sheet actually stood for anything.  I honestly never thought about what it might mean or stand for.

Same. I think because it’s always written lowercase I never knew “rap” was an acronym that stood for something. I thought it was just a slang term. 

• Love 4

MRI was my only ts.

I did amaze myself by getting FJ last night.  First I thought of Tonkin although I wasn't sure it was right.  Then, for another T gulf I had no idea, just thought "maybe Thailand?" And, by golly, that's what it was.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Rebecca's dignified "I'm not going to [do the sprinkler]" really tickled me.  Sanjay looked like an idiot doing it, so I think she was wise there.

I liked it too. I wouldn't go so far as to say idiot - dorky maybe. Which is a little endearing in my book.

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't get anything for FJ - went totally blank. But to be fair - that is one of my deep wells of weakness when it comes to Jeopardy.

As for rap - I think it's much older than anything New York Police came up with. The following quote is just an overview, the etymology online dictionary goes into more detail about the early meaning https://www.etymonline.com/word/rap

Slang meaning "a rebuke, the blame, responsibility" is from 1777; specific meaning "criminal indictment" (as in rap sheet, 1960) is from 1903; to beat the rap is from 1927. Meaning "music with improvised words" was in New York City slang by 1979 (see rap (v. 2)).

11 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Aw, no one knew Possession. Wonderful book - the movie not so much (the Victorian portions were good, the modern painful to watch). 

I'd only heard of the movie. Which didn't look too interesting.

I ran Disney, which wasn't too much of a stretch, having been raised on, and raised my kids on Disney movies. Had to guess with Tarzan. I love Phil Collins, but I didn't like his music for that film. I think it wasn't too long after the brilliant guy responsible for Little Mermaid, etc, died, so maybe that influenced my dislike.

• Love 3
(edited)

Started out really well...at the first break I had 93% correct (missed one in 2 I's). Then we got into Americana and there went my awesome game (missed three, plus two each in the other two categories).

Ran Women Who Write, Resisting A Rest, and The Human Body. Missed one each in Beautiful Vocabulary, and A World to Kiss and got both round 2 DDs. I didn't quite get FJ; said U of Ohio, but at least I had the right state.

Missed clues I got: caffeine, Barack Obama, dulcet, Lourdes, anterior cruciate ligament, and dura mater.

Final score 66%.

Show's over just in time; looks like we're in for a storm.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2
(edited)

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of caffeine, coal, dulcet and Lourdes.

I got the entire categories of rest and i's right.

Did much better tonight than I had been doing

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 2

I was surprised that the STREET ART category didn't include Banksy.

I got dulcet, dura matter, but then for FJ I'm pretty sure I might only have been able to write "The Ohio..."?

So our champion crossed the $100K line without a mention from Sanjay. I'm guessing he doesn't want to make a big deal out of the money that way.

• Love 3

As a proud Michigander, I knew the answer had to be OSU (to be polite to @BuckeyeLou, I will refrain from any other comments) but I did have an awful moment of thinking "please, Jeopardy gods, don't let it be The College of William and Mary in Virginia". 

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Katy M said:

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of caffeine, coal, dulcet and Lourdes.

I got the entire categories of rest and i's right.

Did much better tonight than I had been doing

I knew Fab Five Freddy dulcet Lourdes and Neil Diamond. Courtney will have more people rooting for her thanks to her love of Star Wars.

• Love 2

Nobody knew The Killer? My mom called me up and asked me if I knew that one. God, yes, I knew that one...Old time rockers are right in my wheelhouse...and I am bummed no one knew Neil Diamond. These contestants are just TOO young....

• Love 7

The show is preempted for basketball here, so it was an archive night for me.

I guess none of them are remotely familiar with hip hop, since with Fabulous 5 spotted, they couldn't come up with Fab 5 Freddy for the three-word name.

The caffeine TS was a doozy.  Dulcet surprised me a bit, too, and I wasn't expecting no one to know what ACL stands for.

I missed one each in movies (Ex Machina, and seeing the picture of the mansion wouldn't have helped; I've never even heard of the film), writers (Lazarus), and I's (ibis), but got everything else in the first round.

I did well in DJ, too; I missed three in holidays, but other than that only missed one each in kiss (the University of Virginia TS, and the picture wouldn't have helped me with that one, either) and hall of fame ("The Killer" stumped me as it did them; I never paid much attention to Jerry Lee Lewis and had never heard him called that).

And FJ was an instaget, so I had a great game.  But the eye roll I engaged in while answering FJ would have been visible from space.  Every damn NFL game in which a player from Ohio State, in introducing himself, refers to his alma mater that way causes the same reaction.  I'm lucky my eyeballs aren't stuck.

• LOL 7
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was surprised that the STREET ART category didn't include Banksy.

But there was a Banksy question on College Bowl tonight...

• Useful 2

I wasn't paying attention at the beginning: Did Sanjay explain in the "two i's" category that the only vowels in the word were two i's? I wondered why "vigilance" wasn't an acceptable answer until he explained it after the fact. (Granted, I'd never heard of the night before a holy day called a vigilance, but if you could "burn the night oil" while staying awake...")

I did know coal, dulcet, the Killer, Neil Diamond, Lourdes, dura mater, and UVA (from the famous rotunda in the background, like the one at the Jefferson Memorial and Monticello).

Apparently everybody in the world except me knew FJ, though.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The show is preempted for basketball here, so it was an archive night for me.

I guess none of them are remotely familiar with hip hop, since with Fabulous 5 spotted, they couldn't come up with Fab 5 Freddy for the three-word name.

The caffeine TS was a doozy.  Dulcet surprised me a bit, too, and I wasn't expecting no one to know what ACL stands for.

I missed one each in movies (Ex Machina, and seeing the picture of the mansion wouldn't have helped; I've never even heard of the film), writers (Lazarus), and I's (ibis), but got everything else in the first round.

I did well in DJ, too; I missed three in holidays, but other than that only missed one each in kiss (the University of Virginia TS, and the picture wouldn't have helped me with that one, either) and hall of fame ("The Killer" stumped me as it did them; I never paid much attention to Jerry Lee Lewis and had never heard him called that).

And FJ was an instaget, so I had a great game.  But the eye roll I engaged in while answering FJ would have been visible from space.  Every damn NFL game in which a player from Ohio State, in introducing himself, refers to his alma mater that way causes the same reaction.  I'm lucky my eyeballs aren't stuck.

I'm not a hip-hop fan but I know Fab 5 Freddy thanks to the Blondie song Rapture. Jerry Lee Lewis hasn't released new music in a long time so I understand the question stumping the contestants. I knew Solitary Man was a Neil Diamond hit so I didn't need the Jewish Elvis part of the clue.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I wasn't paying attention at the beginning: Did Sanjay explain in the "two i's" category that the only vowels in the word were two i's? 

Yes, he did.

• Love 1