Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: The Story Begins

• Start Topic

On 7/16/2020 at 11:48 AM, topanga said:

I'll come visit you in your department, LennieBriscoe!

I like three of the men--Miles, Bennett, and Henry. The other two--trash.

Brett is like a poor-man's ZacH. Just as full of himself, thinks he deserves an Instagram model, but he seems a little dumber than Zach was. Although Zach was no Einstein either. And Brett is either a cheater, or he's just pretending to be--in any event, not a good look. I will say that Brett makes me laugh sometimes, whereas Zach always made me think, "What did he say?" I don't think Brett will be attracted to Olivia, although he's no Brad Pitt/Idris Elba himself. I feel bad for Olivia. She deserves better. 

Wayne is a nicer, flashier version of Michael. But I don't think he'll be attracted to Amani, who is pretty and very nice but seems a little too "church lady" for him. When she said she felt something "in her spirit," I was like, "Yep, she goes to church." Not that there's anything wrong with that. But that doesn't sound like Wayne. i.e. he goes to the club on New Year's Eve--he's not bringing in the new year with the Lord. And it friends were subtle but made it clear (to me anyway) that he's cheated or been a ladies' man in the past. He doesn't seem like the loyal, honest person that Amanis' friend's said she craves. *sigh* Amani deserves better.

--These two couples were set up for drama, and I would feel more sad for them, but they should know by now that this is what this show does. The successful couples are together despite the producers and experts, not because of them. 

Brett is definitely smarter than Zach if you equate wit with smarts which I do.  If someone can make me laugh, I am always inclined to like them.  But then the bachelor party happened and I rethought all of this.

• Love 5
On 7/16/2020 at 1:30 AM, Adeejay said:

I wish they had paired Olivia with Henry; they both seem low maintenance and amiable. I think Christina is going to run over Henry and I have a feeling Brett won’t be attracted to Olivia.

Woody reminds me of Nate from the Chicago season. I don’t think he and Amani are going to click.

I believe someone in production gave Karen the heads up about Miles. Question is, why?

100% agree! I think they may be a better match too. The experts dropped the ball on that mix up, unfortunately used in dropping the ball with matches.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Ilovepie said:

I totally thought about Miles and Woody picking groomsmen - was it like in elementary school when kids pick teams? A bunch of friends standing around and Miles and Woody taking turns on who get which friend for their wedding! 😜

I am always amused at the low key shade with the guys. My favorite was the almost open hostility between Fireman Ryan and Jon with Jephte awkwardly trying to keep the peace.......

You just reminded of Ryan’s fireman striptease...which almost made me throw up in my mouth.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

Amelia wanted "floofy" so she picked the fluffiest and poufiest dress so she could twirl and sashay back and forth happily  in it.

Bennett's theater galpals wanted to steer him to looking dapper and handsome as they gently told him that his bedazzled and jeweled elephant hat was not going to be worn to his wedding...dudes would let him wear that monstrosity....

No one wanted to run to the store and get him a black pair of socks?

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, qtpye said:

You just reminded of Ryan’s fireman striptease...which almost made me throw up in my mouth.

Obviously, I did not use enough brain bleach because my cerebral cortex easily fired up that cringe worthy suspender and nippled slow grinding tease....*dry heaving*

• LOL 6
6 hours ago, topanga said:

In the South, strippers tend to be voluptuous. 

I told my husband that if he doesn’t fold the laundry immediately I’m getting him those strippers and he folded it right away. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
(edited)

Karen and Miles

Unlike Jamie's dramatic (perhaps theatrical) initial impressions about Doug, Karen's dissapointment appeared genuine and troubling. I don't see how a woman can overcome a perception that a man is "too emotional." I also have trouble with her comments altogether. What can possibly be "too emotional" about an instagram post? Did he film himself crying? Or was he simply posting inspirational quotes? If it's the latter, then I don't see much hope for this couple.

She may perceive his emotional maturity as a weakness or immaturity, especially considering that he is younger than her. Karen may be attracted to a more stoic personality that in her view offers her a sense of security and stability. Perhaps she is trying to find a man that emulates her own father. She may be jaded after being in a long-term relationship with a man who fathered a child with another woman. Out of all the folks on this show, Miles is the one I'm most concerned about getting divorced. He is so young and positive that I think a divorce may become jaded for future relationships. 

Christina and Henry

Henry seems like the best husband material this season. He is attractive in an old-school way, like a man from another era. He even dresses like a married man! His ticks and general uneasiness when speaking can be offputting for many women. I hope Christina is not one of those women. Christina describes herself as a "party girl" and wishes that she and her husband are the couple that people are happy to see show up (see Kickoff show if you missed it). She is the exact opposite. She comes off as awkward herself, with some serious social anxiety and uncomfortable bluntness. Dr. Viviana did say that they both have a dry sense of humor, so he may appreciate her personality.

I can see them working out if his calm demeanor helps her with her anxiety and she appreciates him for who he is. 

Amani and Woody

My initial reservations about Woody were validated in this episode. I think he is in it for the fame. Amani has a strong personality so she will not put up with it. He also appears to be very short. I don't know if she will find him attractive. They may work out if he is actually genuine about wanting to be married.

Amelia and Bennett

I still don't know about these two. They appear to be fan favorites due to their eccentric personalities but I stand by my initial opinion that they might not work out. Amelia seems to be energetic and outgoing, while Woody seems to be more spacey and subdued. She is the artsy person with a million thoughts going on at once, while he settles on one thought or feeling at a time. They might wear each other out. This relationship hinges on the fact that Amelia has more going for her, and that Bennett is willing to be a stay at home dad. Did he ever agree to that? There is no guarantee that he would be good at it or enjoy it. 

Olivia and Brett

Brett comes off as such a douchbag, but these two may work out. Hear me out here. Olivia is a great catch, she is decently attractive, has a very high paying job, is probably away from home alot, and loves sports. What more can a guy ask for? His family will love her. Brett has dated every woman in New Orleans and he isnt getting any younger. He might pull out the charm (and lose the attitude) when he realizes how well he will be living on a nurse practitioner salary in affordable Louisiana. He will gaining season tickets, tailgating galore and great football parties all on her dime. I think he hit the jackpot, hopefully he doesn't blow it. 

Edited by jPLUS
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Obviously, I did not use enough brain bleach because my cerebral cortex easily fired up that cringe worthy suspender and nippled slow grinding tease....*dry heaving*

That’s who Brett reminds me of.  Ryan. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Miiiiiles!!!!!! 😭😭

Brett is bad news x1,000,000. No business ever getting married. Someone needs to warn experts before the wedding that he was being himself all night. 

Woody could be a decent spouse...maybe he just expresses himself a little silly. We'll see.

I don't recall all names but the goofy pair could work.  I like her glittery makeup. That's a bold choice but glitter makes me happy. Her fiance seems like a super sweet guy. I like how Miles vibed with him. One geniune dude to another. 

• Love 8
19 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

Zach: Hi, I'm the most douchey guy to ever be on MAFS!    Brett: Hold my beer.

At this time, I have to give that title to Matt, followed by Luke. 

At least Zach was honest that he wasn't attracted to Mindy. Unfortunately, the producers are now casting someone to fill that role each season.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Luke, Zach and Brett. The Three Musketeers. The Three Amigos. The three arrogant, misguided bros that think they're all that and definitely aren't. Welcome to the trio of shame, Brett. Hope he gets that smug smirk wiped off his face soon. The other grooms already don't like him.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/16/2020 at 11:31 AM, lizajane said:

Olivia seems like a nice person but she needs to SHTOP with this speech thing that drives me nutso.  Shtrangers, Shtress, shtruggle. Lots of them do it, but I really picked up on it with her. Enough!

I first started noticing that years ago when an actress did it on General Hospital. Drives me crazy, too. Add in my other speech pet peeves:

- Words like "visa" being pronounced as if the "s" is a "z." Not surprisingly, I only started noticing it on 90 Day Fiance with all the "applied for a K-1 'viza.'"

- The emphasis now on the second syllable in things like "Jor-DAN" and "gar-DEN," which makes it sound like two words.

I was at the doctor's office recently and as the nurse was leaving the exam room she said, "If you need anything just push the 'buh-un' on the wall." After she left, I said, "I'm gonna need you to pronounce the 't's in 'button.'" And you kids get off my lawn!

Definitely feel that Amelia is trying too hard. "Look at how quirky I am! I put up a tightrope in a public park instead of in my backyard so that everyone will notice me."

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, jPLUS said:

Olivia and Brett

Brett comes off as such a douchbag, but these two may work out. Hear me out here. Olivia is a great catch, she is decently attractive, has a very high paying job, is probably away from home alot, and loves sports. What more can a guy ask for? His family will love her. Brett has dated every woman in New Orleans and he isnt getting any younger. He might pull out the charm (and lose the attitude) when he realizes how well he will be living on a nurse practitioner salary in affordable Louisiana. He will gaining season tickets, tailgating galore and great football parties all on her dime. I think he hit the jackpot, hopefully he doesn't blow it. 

I do hear what you're saying.  I think Brett won't find her attractive and is hoping for the 24 year old blonde gym bunny, which was on Zach's radar.

And why would Olivia want to be with him if he is mainly interested in her money and football tickets (which they probably can't use anyway)?

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

I like her glittery makeup. That's a bold choice but glitter makes me happy.

@Kdawg82 Come sit next to me. I looove glitter too! Maybe not glued to my face a la Amelia, but definitely in my eyeshadow! Fun stuff! 😋

13 minutes ago, OnTime said:

I think Brett won't find her attractive and is hoping for the 24 year old blonde gym bunny,

Yes, because that’s what a self absorbed, cocky, shallow, beer swilling gym rat with a wandering eye deserves, right? I mean, what a catch for an attractive, sweet, mature woman! Blech....

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, OnTime said:

I do hear what you're saying.  I think Brett won't find her attractive and is hoping for the 24 year old blonde gym bunny, which was on Zach's radar.

And why would Olivia want to be with him if he is mainly interested in her money and football tickets (which they probably can't use anyway)?

That is assuming Olivia knows that he is mainly interested in her money, she didn't see the side of him we saw. He may put on a show for her for all we know.

However, I'm holding on to the faint hope that he is just acting up for the cameras, and will realize she is a great catch and will treat her how she deserves. 

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

@Kdawg82 Come sit next to me. I looove glitter too! Maybe not glued to my face a la Amelia, but definitely in my eyeshadow! Fun stuff! 😋

Yes, because that’s what a self absorbed, cocky, shallow, beer swilling gym rat with a wandering eye deserves, right? I mean, what a catch for an attractive, sweet, mature woman! Blech....

Don't forget to add unattractive to the description of Brett. I'm not one to make fun of people's looks but when they are so shallow and cocky they deserve some ridicule. The fact that he thinks he is such a catch is hilarious considering he is the most unattractive groom (by far) this season. 

• Love 5

Brett's job: AWS Cloud Practitioners earn over 100K so if MAFS hasn't over inflated his job title then he's doing well  financially.

Not as much as Olivia who has been an NP for 5 years but his salary is potentially comparable.

Wonder if he would be more tolerable, less arrogant, more humble if he hadn't dated women by the dozens?

Vanity, thy name is Brett Bratt.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, jPLUS said:

Don't forget to add unattractive to the description of Brett. I'm not one to make fun of people's looks but when they are so shallow and cocky they deserve some ridicule. The fact that he thinks he is such a catch is hilarious considering he is the most unattractive groom (by far) this season. 

I agree that Brett is the most unattractive groom by far! When he claimed that he is so good-looking, I screamed at my TV, "No, you're not!" I am also not one to comment on one's looks, but he seems (so far) to be a jerk (my own justification for being snarky about looks). I am so angry that sweet Olivia has been matched with him.   

• Love 3
2 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Brett's job: AWS Cloud Practitioners earn over 100K so if MAFS hasn't over inflated his job title then he's doing well  financially.

Not as much as Olivia who has been an NP for 5 years but his salary is potentially comparable.

Wonder if he would be more tolerable, less arrogant, more humble if he hadn't dated women by the dozens?

Vanity, thy name is Brett Bratt.

That might be an inflated title. Their income disparity is sufficiently high that the experts mentioned it in their matchmaking special. I don't think they would have said anything if he was earning six figures. I remember he said he worked for local government, would that mean he earns more or less than in the private sector? Brett also mentioned not being able to afford nice clothing after the tux shopping. 

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, Matty said:

Luke, Zach and Brett. The Three Musketeers. The Three Amigos. The three arrogant, misguided bros that think they're all that and definitely aren't. Welcome to the trio of shame, Brett. Hope he gets that smug smirk wiped off his face soon. The other grooms already don't like him.

Ugh, those guys.  I think one reason guys like those three exist is because there are more women than men, there's more pressure on women, to get married and have children than it is on men.  That's why guys like The Three Jerkateers can remain that way for years. 

The same is true with black American men.  There are more black women doing well career wise than black men.  So the black men don't need to get married right away.  The can sit back and date around until they feel like getting married. 

• Love 2

Christina might want that male stripper back once she sees that sweet boy Henry is her husband. He might have a shot if he gets some Crest White Strips, exotic flowers and makes intense eye contact with her.

9 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Ugh, those guys.  I think one reason guys like those three exist is because there are more women than men, there's more pressure on women, to get married and have children than it is on men.  That's why guys like The Three Jerkateers can remain that way for years. 

The same is true with black American men.  There are more black women doing well career wise than black men.  So the black men don't need to get married right away.  The can sit back and date around until they feel like getting married. 

That is an interesting perspective that I had not previously considered. Add to that, the fact that society does not stigmatize older men with younger women so these men can fool around for decades (all their 20s and 30s) and then "settle down" when they are tired of it.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Archer27 said:

I agree that Brett is the most unattractive groom by far! When he claimed that he is so good-looking, I screamed at my TV, "No, you're not!" I am also not one to comment on one's looks, but he seems (so far) to be a jerk (my own justification for being snarky about looks). I am so angry that sweet Olivia has been matched with him.   

He is one of those guys who automatically thinks he is hot because he has a few muscles. His face is pretty homely and going to the gym will not change that or more importantly, his shitty personality.

1 hour ago, jPLUS said:

That is an interesting perspective that I had not previously considered. Add to that, the fact that society does not stigmatize older men with younger women so these men can fool around for decades (all their 20s and 30s) and then "settle down" when they are tired of it.  

It sucks. I feel like the dating game is stacked so favorably toward males that the most basic ass guys think they are Gods.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

He is one of those guys who automatically thinks he is hot because he has a few muscles. His face is pretty homely and going to the gym will not change that or more importantly, his shitty personality.

It sucks. I feel like the dating game is stacked so favorably toward males that the most basic ass guys think they are Gods.

Unfortunately for Brett, arm muscles aren’t a personality trait 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

While NPs can do very well, it depends on the position and location. I’d say they are fairly equivalent in earning capacity ( but not in personality).

16 hours ago, jPLUS said:

That might be an inflated title. Their income disparity is sufficiently high that the experts mentioned it in their matchmaking special. I don't think they would have said anything if he was earning six figures. I remember he said he worked for local government, would that mean he earns more or less than in the private sector? Brett also mentioned not being able to afford nice clothing after the tux shopping. 

Usually state employees earn less than in the private sector but the retirement benefits - and often the job security - are better. I work for a consulting company and we often hire people who retire from the state. They earn a nice pension and then their salary with us.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/17/2020 at 7:09 AM, Empress1 said:

She was with a man for five years and found out that he got someone else pregnant during their relationship, and that woman gave birth to his child. Amani is the one who found out her boyfriend was married. Neither seemed happy about it - I don’t think they like cheaters, I think they just had bad luck with ain’t-shit dudes.

On 7/17/2020 at 11:46 AM, topanga said:

In the South, strippers tend to be voluptuous. 

He seems like a loyal friend, and I like some of his jokes, but yeah, those socks grossed me out. Makes me wonder what else he doesn't wash--his tiny home doesn't have a bathroom, remember? I liked that his sister (or was it his friend) said he needs to suck it up and dress like he's going to a wedding. And that he shouldn't wear the stupid red hat that would draw attention away from the bride. 

If you don't wear shoes in the house but walk around in socks unfortunately sometimes you don't think about just putting those feet with those socks into a shoe and going out. A lot of the time I just don't wear anything on my feet and I'm usually surprised that my feet are so clean since I don't consider that my floors are so clean.   I guess the floors are better than I think. Anyway I try not to be grossed out by anything anyone else in life tries to do.  Does it doesn't bother me that Amelia doesn't shave her armpits. I do believe if she save them for other people at the wedding her new husband would have a real shock coming as the hair started to grow in and never was removed.

• Love 1
On 7/17/2020 at 9:21 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

Hopefully Karen doesn’t turn into a “Karen” Karen. 

I don’t see that she has a choice. She was set up with that by birth

I want someone to tell me how the name "Karen" became a thing.  Many of the women I know named Karen and black.

However, Karen on this show is a bit much.  She was dating a man who had a child out of wedlock while he was dating her.  Maybe "her type" hasn't worked for her and maybe she should just chill and wait to see who Miles is before saying, "He's not my type."

• Love 8
(edited)

To be fair to Bennett, said those stained white socks were the only pair he had without holes.

He may have had black socks but they were holey.

Amelia having seen Benny before is not a shocker. 
It could be on his pedicab or at his theater.

Production  messed up by tipping off Karen. She took the time to read about Miles online and has already judged him, but has decided to go ahead with the wedding.
Hope she gives him a fair shake.

Little bit of Woody (Pun intended) goes a long way. Amani better like a motor mouth.
Quarantine with the Woodster may be too much for any human....

If Christine can avoid jumping to judgement over Henry’s reserved manner she may find a good guy to spend the next 8 weeks.

My favorite Show(s) ...The weddings!

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

To be fair to Bennett, said those stained white socks were the only pair he had without holes.

He may have had black socks but they were holey.

Amelia having seen Benny before is not a shocker. 
It could be on his pedicab or at his theater.

Production  messed up by tipping off Karen. She took the time to read about Miles online and has already judged him, but has decided to go ahead with the wedding.
Hope she gives him a fair shake.

Little bit of Woody (Pun intended) goes a long way. Amani better like a motor mouth.
Quarantine with the Woodster may be too much for any human....

If Christine can avoid jumping to judgement over Henry’s reserved manner she may find a good guy to spend the next 8 weeks.

My favorite Show(s) ...The weddings!

Bennett - As sweet and charming as Bennett is, I think his schtick may get old fast. A man who only owns 1 pair of socks without holes doesn't inspire much confidence to be a stay-at-home parent.

Woody - These folks were married right before the lockdowns started. Imagine trying to quarantine Woody. It may prove too much even for the strongest woman. 

Henry - He said he has a calm demeanor because he has been through a lot. Christine is lucky to be matched with him because she seems like the kind of person who will throw stones and then hide her hand. I can see her easily picking fights and then acting like the victim. Matching her with a hot-headed man would have been a recipe for disaster. 

• Love 2

Bennett is like an unmade bed...with questionable cleanliness of the linens.

When those 2 move into their wedded nest it will be a luxurious respite... more privacy for Amelia and flushable toilet for Benny, instead of the chamber pot or in his case a Costco sized cheese ball snack container.

Bennette+ Amelia=Benmelia

• LOL 4
16 minutes ago, Lindz said:

LOVE Bennett saying he tunes out Brett & Woodrow's nonsense. LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!! 😂😂

Bennett speaks for all of us there.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I mean the kissing vs sex being more intimate debate wasn't appropriate at the first meeting & drunk Brett & Woodrow weren't the ones to debate it. Just. All. Wrong. 😂

• Love 1
On 7/15/2020 at 5:31 PM, Straycat80 said:

I’m bothered that they are all So trusting of the ‘experts’, haven’t they watched past seasons? 

That's what makes them great candidates! They're total schmucks! 😂 The ones that actually buy into the dream & wanna be married, anyway.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Lindz said:

I wonder how Miles & Woodrow's weddings will play out if they have the same friends... Wedding hopping?

Hop(e) so!

A MAFS Double wedding would have been mass confusion of fun, but it would not been fair to the brides to have their own special fiasco day.

Jazzed for Miles and Karen to show up at Woody's and Amani's nuptials or visa versa.

Feel bad for those guests who have to pony up 2 wedding gifts....keep the receipts or post date the gift check for 10 weeks post wedding day and require both signatures.

• LOL 1
20 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Wow. Whole lot ringing true in that article. Thanks so much for sharing it.

In high school, nearly every girl was either Karen, Sue, Debbie or Nancy.  There were no black students.  

When the obnoxious woman called the police on the people BBQing in Oakland, some of the subsequent memes called her Karen and calling people Karen after that seemed to take on a life of its own.  

Interesting read.