Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: A Trout in the Milk

• Start Topic

After a bumpy landing in the disco decade, the team – Daniel Sousa in tow – reunites with more than one familiar face at the S.H.I.E.L.D. hangout and discovers exactly how to dismantle the Chronicoms’ latest plan. But when they get too close for comfort, the Zephyr unexpectedly leaps forward again, this time to a date pivotal to not only the future of S.H.I.E.L.D. but to the future of Director Mack as well.

Airdate: June 24, 2020

The only way those opening credits could've been improved is with, "Special Guest Star: Enver Gjokaj." Jeff Ward's shit-eating grin was the best since Tad Lange's.

Speaking of Deke, that was some cold shit. Well earned, but cold.

I was wondering why Nate didn't just kill Daisy and Sousa and then they explained that at the end.

Rule 32: Nate's van had shag carpeting.

• Love 10

They had me from the opening credits, and then more with "come with me if you want to live continue to exist. I'm sure someone else has had this theory but I'm now pretty sure Jemma is from a future where the chronicons won and she's trying to fix things.

• Love 9

Yep, the 70s-style opening credits were the best ones yet!  Complete with the voiceover for the actors names, the music, and the clips they used for the actors, like the shotgun axe for Henry Simmons and especially Jeff Ward's cheesy grin at the camera.  Still bummed that Fitz is absence though, because I want to see what they would do with Iain De Caestecker.

Interesting how the main team this time seems to have gotten use to the time-jumps and dated technology, so this one focused more on Sousa being the "fish out of water", and being overwhelmed by both the advancement in technology and styles (for him) and all of the confusing time-traveling stuff.  And while I got a kick out of the early "grumpy old man" hijinks, I did like seeing him getting frustrated the further it went, because I imagine even the strongest person would get flustered and upset over this big of a culture shock, and basically being the weak link in some ways.  Assuming he survives this kidnapping alongside Daisy, I wonder if he'll hold true to his word about not going any further into the future.

Great seeing Patrick Warburton's Rick Stoner again, and him clearly crushing on Melinda.  In his defense, Ming-Na did look good in that dress!  Also enjoyed Drunk Melinda, who was feeding off all that contact high!

Enoch finally rejoins the team!  Complete with an awesome car reveal and inadvertently misquoting The Terminator!

Deke actually goes through and kills Wilfred this time.  Hmm...

Simmons seems to have some kind of chip in her neck?  And is sounds like she and Enoch are keeping something from the team?  I'm guessing there is a lot more going on here, and it probably explains why she has been so cagey over where (or when) Fitz is.

So, the hit list for Project Insight includes Bruce Banner (as a kid), Nick Fury, and Peggy Carter.  I wonder if Howard Stark was on there, or if the parents of Natasha or Clint where on there, if the Chronicoms/Hydra wanting to wipe out The Avengers.  I guess there really wouldn't have been a way to go after Thor's family.

Daisy and Sousa are being taken to Whitehall now?!

• Love 2

I paused the list and there were quite a few names we know on it. Victoria Hand for example.

Seconding the opening credits! I was laughing so hard. And Deke's freeze frame was easily the best. It was soooo 1970s. And did you notice the music? How they subtly changed the S.H.I.E.L.D. Theme to something which sounds like it belongs into the era?

You know, somehow I no longer feel bad for Malick's younger brother…..in any case, though, I am not sure if this is a ripple anymore, this looks more like a wave. But I am happy that the writers actually remembered that W

• Love 1

I’m loving this season for the character moments and the callbacks but I could not care less about the plot. 

These chasing someone through the past stories are always a mess that you can’t think about for too long. The more the show tries to convince everything is in jeopardy the more I tune it out because you know it’s all going to be fixed in the end. 

3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, the hit list for Project Insight includes Bruce Banner (as a kid), Nick Fury, and Peggy Carter.  I wonder if Howard Stark was on there, or if the parents of Natasha or Clint where on there, if the Chronicoms/Hydra wanting to wipe out The Avengers.  I guess there really wouldn't have been a way to go after Thor's family.

And David Robinson was on the list.  They were gonna kill The Admiral.

The credits were great.  Coulson, Daisy, May, and Sousa all dressed up at the beginning, just gonna say it, this is one photogenic cast.

Are they hinting at possibly Daisy and Sousa?  I guess if in this timeline, Sousa doesn't wind up with Peggy, it's not a shock that he'd go for Daisy.  She is his type, she can kick ass, she's smart, has a sharp tongue, and yeah is beautiful.

• Love 3

I have the feeling that they are setting up Sousa staying behind in the 1970s instead of travelling farther to the future with them…I hope not, though, I love him with the team.

I don't quite care about the Chronicoms either, but I do care about the decisions the characters have to make. Mack calling off the plan to rescue his parents, Deke killing Malick, I am completely invested.

Also, Star Trek, take note: THAT is how you utilize emphatic abilities.

• Love 3

I was really hoping the 70's credits would have ended with "and Jeff Ward as Deke".

Some research on the phrase lead me to believe this: “Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.”- Henry David Thoreau  written in November 1850

Although I don't believe that Thoreau actually gave a clear explanation for this saying, it likely means, If you find a trout in your milk, it is certain that the Dairy Farmer is diluting your milk with water, you don't need any more evidence than that. But back in those days, I am guessing that milk wasn't pasteurized and water went directly from the stream into your mouth. Two things that I find disturbing.

But, that saying may or may not be true, as that is not the only way that a trout could end up in the milk. I would be happier if the Dairy Farmer, while washing his large milk container in the stream, a trout happened to get stuck inside, the milk container is clean, the milk is 100 percent pure (except for this one time when there was this fish), and the Dairy Farmer is a honest, decent, hard working fellow.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Great seeing Patrick Warburton's Rick Stoner again

I wonder if Howard Stark was on there

He should have been bragging about the great deals he gets on rental cars....

If Stark is on the list, Bucky is out of a job!

• Love 1

Btw, the remark that he "attended seminars" made me laugh. I really shouldn't, because the notion that one needed a seminar to know that one shouldn't take advantage of female subordinates is kind of terrifying, but it was thrown in so off-hand, I couldn't help myself.

• Love 5
(edited)

The opening theme was great but made me really miss Fitz. I was now clear that he wasn't in the episode because he wasn't even in the credits :(.

My take on Jemma maybe that she spend years solving the problem and the chip is to make her appear the way she was to help the team. And she never did have the daughter with Fitz. This would make the scene with Deke actually sad. And that's why Jemma had the look at the end, she knows she can't tell him that his mother won't exist. Of course that would mean at the end those two won't have a happy ending :(. I guess I'll have to wait to see, hopefully this isn't correct.

Anyhow, as for the rest of the episode. I liked it, mainly all the stuff that Sousa didn't know about, especially him geeking out about a phone picture. I knew as soon as Daisy used her powers that this wasn't going to end good. Hopefully those two can get out of it okay. I'm glad that they finally got Enock. And of course he's terminator line "come with me if you want to exist". Though I could help but being like that's an 80's reference but still a great line.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 5

I swear, I want to find whoever is making these period appropriate credits and buy them a drink or something, they are bringing such joy to my life. The 70s credits are the best ones yet! The funky soundtrack! The flashing SHIELD colors! The voice overs! Dekes freeze frame grin! Its all so spot on for 70s action shows, I was just dying. 

I am really glad that Sousa is around for at least a bit (even if he implied that he might stay in the 70s) and I hope he sticks around longer. The culture shock stuff was really good with him, both when it was played for comedy and for drama, especially towards the end when he was clearly frustrated by feeling like he wasn't helping because he had no idea what was going on, and leaving his time and his life behind. At least a a suite is a pretty classic outfit that can blend in during most any time period, I dont think the poor guy is quite ready for bell bottoms and beards quite yet. 

Daisy and Sousa reactions to the giant ass 70s computers were hilarious. "Ugh, so primitive!" "Wow, so high tech!" Just wait until Sousa finds out that super serums and weird HYDRA tech is by far no longer the weirdest thing around anymore. Magic and aliens and Inhumans and more secret society's and civilizations than you can count! And of course, the joy of the cell phone.

Damn Deke, that shit was cold, but understandable. Now that he has actually done bad shit, its less morally questionable now I would say, especially considering he was supposed to die years ago. 

Patrick Warburton is always great to see, he really fits in great in the 70s! He has been to several seminar now...

Enoch finally rejoins the team, and while still a bit salty about being left behind, he is still a team player, as always. And with a super 70s car and his own funky soundtrack for his car chase! 

So Simmons has some weird ship thing, what does that mean? Is it something to do with where Fitz is? Is miss Fitz, he needs to get here in time to take part in the credit sequences!

• Love 10

If Malick picked up the cellphone, HYDRA could download Dr. Zola to that, instead of a big ass bunker of mainframes...

Mack put personal issues ahead of the mission. Now he has lost 4 team members and the element of surprise.

Adding to the chorus of fans of the opening credits:  They weren't just perfect 70s opening credits, they were perfect 1970s ABC action-show opening credits! NBC and CBS shows had a slightly different look and feel to them.

Wow, that end tag! Just hearing the name Daniel Whitehall had my hair stand on edge just a bit.

• Love 8

Good episode!  Loved the opening credits, the cheesy graphics and funky music, they nailed it.

I'm glad Daisy used her powers but I'm disappointed that it appears that Yo Yo has accepted that she has lost hers.  They didn't even try to explain how or why... is it from the Shrike?

So in this altered timeline, Nathaniel isn't dead.  We didn't see Gideon in 1976 so I'm wondering if now Nathaniel becomes the Hydra leader.  Nathaniel is trying to steal Daisy's powers?  

Mack is such a hypocrite... what happened to "we can't alter the timeline" in 1931?  He sees his parents and saves them, now altering it even more.

Is Simmons supposed to be a Chronicom or an LMD?  Is that why that symbol glowed on her neck?  Is the real Simmons off with Fitz somewhere?

10 hours ago, swanpride said:

I paused the list and there were quite a few names we know on it. Victoria Hand for example.

I also saw Jim Morita, who was one of the Howling Commandos.  If this is supposed to be him and not his son, then that's odd, because in one of the Avengers movies I thought Cap was looking at files of his former comrades from the war, and Jim Morita and Union Jack were marked as deceased.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, paigow said:

Mack put personal issues ahead of the mission. Now he has lost 4 team members and the element of surprise.

Hydra and S.H.I.E.L.D no wonder the Chronicoms think they are destined to rule.

41 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I'm glad Daisy used her powers but I'm disappointed that it appears that Yo Yo has accepted that she has lost hers.  They didn't even try to explain how or why... is it from the Shrike?

Mack is such a hypocrite... what happened to "we can't alter the timeline" in 1931?  He sees his parents and saves them, now altering it even more.

Is Simmons supposed to be a Chronicom or an LMD?  Is that why that symbol glowed on her neck?  Is the real Simmons off with Fitz somewhere?

In previous episodes, we've seen Elena theorising that it was the shrike that caused her to lose her powers, yes - she commiserated with May about it, since May has lost her ability to feel, and said that everything from that other world (where the shrike came from) is destructive. So the working theory is that the loss of powers was caused by the shrike, and because it has only been a few days in the lives of the characters, they've not had any time to actually stop and study the problem, because they've spent those few days running around non-stop.

Mack saving his parents' lives doesn't change the timeline, it preserves it, because in the original timeline they weren't murdered by Hydra in 1976. Also, you really can't blame the guy!

Simmons can't be an LMD or Chronicom or she'd have shut down when she set off the EMP in 1955, same as Coulson did. This is the real Simmons. The implant in her neck could be connected to the fact that the Chronicoms have a complete scan of her brain - we saw her having memory lapses, so maybe she's had some kind of implant fitted to disrupt certain thought patterns that might be detectable/predicted somehow by the Chronicoms? I don't know. But as for what's going on with her and what happened in between being saved by Enoch and going back to save the team at the end of last season...only time will tell.

I'm really enjoying the time travel shenanigans - I don't even care if the plot makes sense or not, it's just so much fun!

• Love 9

I still hope that they will somehow "right" the timeline.

They are trying hard to make us distrust Enoch, but it doesn't really work. Whatever the implant is, I fail to be overly worried about it.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, swanpride said:

They are trying hard to make us distrust Enoch, but it doesn't really work. Whatever the implant is, I fail to be overly worried about it.

Me too. I'm almost certain it is connected to that scan the Chronicoms have of her brain and will turn out to be a protective measure, with side effects, rather than anything sinister.

I don't think the show is trying to make us distrust Enoch, though - he is well established now as a firm ally. What they are trying to do, imo, is raise suspense about what happened during that missing time between Enoch rescuing Fitz and Simmons, and Simmons and Enoch coming to collect the team in the Time-Zephyr.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

I also saw Jim Morita, who was one of the Howling Commandos.  If this is supposed to be him and not his son, then that's odd, because in one of the Avengers movies I thought Cap was looking at files of his former comrades from the war, and Jim Morita and Union Jack were marked as deceased.

Deceased in this decade, we know only Sergeant Barnes was lost during the war. In 1973-6 a WWII or Korean War veteran while hitting middle age were still very much in the fight. Both as senior leaders and what we would now call private military contractors 

30 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Gonzales was on the list, too, btw. You know, Mr. REAL SHIELD!!!

I noticed that too! (I may or may not have paused in order to read the list 😄)

And I just remembered another bit of evidence that Simmons is still the real, human Simmons - the show went out of its way to show us that May picks up emotions from her, whereas she gets nothing at all from LMD Coulson.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, swanpride said:

I was worried that Enoch had switched sides after getting fed up waiting for 40 years when they said he had disappeared for a year.  But I was relieved when he showed up in his car with the good fuel economy.  I did wonder how he knew to show up, how he knew Coulson and the others were there.  If they explained that, I missed it.

I suppose he disappeared when he realized Hydra had infiltrated SHIELD and the Chronicoms  were snooping around.  But I'm still not sure how he knew the agents were there.

• Love 2

It may be taking the suspension of disbelief a step too far, but I figured Enoch showing up when he did was supposed to fit the "theme" of the episode.

In action flicks, someone is often missing for a while, then shows up at just the right moment to save everyone.  Arnold's "come with me if you want to live" -- obviously inspiration for Enoch's line -- is from the 80's as pointed out upthread, and this was set in the 70's, but maybe they just thought "close enough" and went with it.

Anyway, I figured we're not supposed to question how Enoch would know when and where to show up.  He just did, because that's how it works in this time period.  The important thing is that his car is top-rated by Consumer Reports.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

I didn't care about the Malick family drama back in season 3 and I care even less now. Still more interesting than the Chronicoms, though.

I admit I wasn't watching too carefully but if the Chronicoms control all the time jumps why didn't they just stop and returned to the present once they had Malick changing the time line in their favour big time? Just because they wanted to gloat some more? Wouldn't put it past them, they are dumb as bricks.

May's empath "storyline" is such snooze-fest. It's the last season, is that really going to be her seasonal arc? Come on! I guess it could be worse, she could be falling in love with LMD Coulson... though that probably will happen anyway.

Finally someone followed the "why don't you just shoot the villain?" idea. Good for you Deke!

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I swear, I want to find whoever is making these period appropriate credits and buy them a drink or something, they are bringing such joy to my life. The 70s credits are the best ones yet! The funky soundtrack! The flashing SHIELD colors! The voice overs! Dekes freeze frame grin! Its all so spot on for 70s action shows, I was just dying. 

I am really glad that Sousa is around for at least a bit (even if he implied that he might stay in the 70s) and I hope he sticks around longer. The culture shock stuff was really good with him, both when it was played for comedy and for drama, especially towards the end when he was clearly frustrated by feeling like he wasn't helping because he had no idea what was going on, and leaving his time and his life behind. At least a a suite is a pretty classic outfit that can blend in during most any time period, I dont think the poor guy is quite ready for bell bottoms and beards quite yet. 

Daisy and Sousa reactions to the giant ass 70s computers were hilarious. "Ugh, so primitive!" "Wow, so high tech!" Just wait until Sousa finds out that super serums and weird HYDRA tech is by far no longer the weirdest thing around anymore. Magic and aliens and Inhumans and more secret society's and civilizations than you can count! And of course, the joy of the cell phone.

Damn Deke, that shit was cold, but understandable. Now that he has actually done bad shit, its less morally questionable now I would say, especially considering he was supposed to die years ago. 

Patrick Warburton is always great to see, he really fits in great in the 70s! He has been to several seminar now...

Enoch finally rejoins the team, and while still a bit salty about being left behind, he is still a team player, as always. And with a super 70s car and his own funky soundtrack for his car chase! 

So Simmons has some weird ship thing, what does that mean? Is it something to do with where Fitz is? Is miss Fitz, he needs to get here in time to take part in the credit sequences!

Watch Lil's YouTube account they explain it on there - Stan Brooks shot it but they had to go back and refilm everything as there was Guild troubles with going back and using earlier stuff

You get Chloe and Lil pissing for most of this  and Ming and Jeff as the end

I love Iden's story about how he went from a tea boy on season 1 to now write an episode

Edited by Humbugged
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Old man Malick's makeup is horrendous.

I know right? I kept noticing how awful his beard was in previous episodes and his whole face looked awful in this episode

Another one who loved the opening credits. I like how creative they are being in their last season and doing some off the wall stuff

• Love 4

The opening credits were absolutely great.

I hate time travel but I do like Sousa going along for the ride. I am still not sure Enoch has not been compromised.

For me, the Chronicons are the worst type of villains. I see so many ways than the route they are going to make S.H.E.I.L.D. not a thing in the future. Also, they are very boring one-note adversaries.

I am just here for the ensemble cast I have grown to love, fish-out-of-water observations, and great opening credits.

• Love 2

One more great thing about the opening credits - artificial film grain to give it that extra '70s look.

So glad Enoch is back in the fold.  Next I want Enoch to show up to the recuse in one of the oil embargo era mini-cars.

It did feel like they were implying Simmons is much older than she seems.  I thought in the beginning it had been 5-10 years since she and Fitz left.  Now I wonder if it's decades.  And if so, we may not be looking for a living, human Fitz.  I agree @blueray, that scene with Deke may have been a very sad foreshadowing.  Did they live a whole life before Jemma met up with the crew again?  Is that why the other crewmen aren't around?  Has Fitz experienced the singularity like Dr. Zola?

It occurred to me today that Sousa is an amputee.  I wonder if they'll explore that as he relates to Yo-Yo, or if they'll propose a prostethic for him.

2 hours ago, Orbert said:

It may be taking the suspension of disbelief a step too far, but I figured Enoch showing up when he did was supposed to fit the "theme" of the episode.

In action flicks, someone is often missing for a while, then shows up at just the right moment to save everyone. 

Lol, that sounds like a bit of a stretch, but you could be right.  Hey, whatever works.  

I wasn't going to mention the opening credits, because everyone else has mentioned them, but I can't hold it in any more.  I freaking loved them too, they were awesome.  I love 70s schlock.  All this is a little Austin Powers/James Bond, but hey nothing wrong with that.

• Love 1
(edited)

Nobody thinks that AoS is taking cues from Legends of Tomorrow? I see Sousa rightfully bitching about how the team seems to make things worse. That could have been followed by John Constantine about to get hung by the neck, all, "First time?" The teaser for next week has Coulson claiming dying is his superpower. Cut to Sara Lance watching elsewhere, gasping in disbelief.

I've been watching, just not commenting. At least everyone seems to be having fun with the final season, especially with the different sets of credits. I like Sousa's future shock, while Coulson and Daisy get too into dressing for 1973. I also like how Enoch is basically as annoyed as a Chronicon can possibly get.

I had to pause to see the list. At the very bottom was David Robinson. What, do the Chronicons want to take out the Admiral, aborting the Spurs' subsequent "dynasty"?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Nobody thinks that AoS is taking cues from Legends of Tomorrow? I see Sousa rightfully bitching about how the team seems to make things worse. That could have been followed by John Constantine about to get hung by the neck, all, "First time?" The teaser for next week has Coulson claiming dying is his superpower. Cut to Sara Lance watching elsewhere, gasping in disbelief.

Personally I see more of a Doctor Who/Timeless influence. 

Edited by Guest

It's not like Marvel Comics didn't explore Time travel.

Still, they better get the story back on track...originally I thought that they would continue to jump forward, but at this point I don't know if they can do it without jumping backwards at one point. Maybe bringing Sousa back to 1955 with a handbook of what is supposed to happen, so that he ensures that it WILL happen that way as some hidden agent.

• Love 3

Before it was revealed to be Mack’s parents in the photo (I assume), I thought it’d be Piper and Fitz, whose continued absence is pissing me off now. FFS it’s the last season. Maybe he’ll cameo in the finale.

21 minutes ago, dmeets said:

Before it was revealed to be Mack’s parents in the photo (I assume), I thought it’d be Piper and Fitz, whose continued absence is pissing me off now. FFS it’s the last season. Maybe he’ll cameo in the finale.

I really miss Fitz. Piper I hope has stepped up to keep SHIELD running in the 'present', if there even is a 'present' timeline to return to after all these changes, as well as looking after poor Flint, who has also been dragged out of time and now no longer even has his surrogate parents to lean on!

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Well, ideally they will jump back to five minutes after they left, so not a lot to look after for Piper....

Since when does the ideal outcome ever pan out for this bunch? 😄 Besides, the timeline has already changed, so at this point it may not longer even be possible for them to return to the same 'present' they left, depending on how the show wants the whole time travel theory to play out. Still, it's the final season, so some kind of happy ending is probably on the cards.

On 6/25/2020 at 3:14 AM, swanpride said:

I have the feeling that they are setting up Sousa staying behind in the 1970s instead of travelling farther to the future with them…I hope not, though, I love him with the team.

Stay behind, start a family, and have a son who becomes a cop and is there for a very important New York battle.

• LOL 4
6 hours ago, swanpride said:

Well, ideally they will jump back to five minutes after they left, so not a lot to look after for Piper....

If they want to go with "the timeline has already changed a lot" they can use that as a basis to  bring back anyone or more of a number of characters who were killed in the prior timeline(s). Hmm. It's been a few seasons since we've seen Ward ...

• Love 1
14 hours ago, DanaK said:

I know right? I kept noticing how awful his beard was in previous episodes and his whole face looked awful in this episode

I was waiting for a story explanation for his bad disguise. And then Deke fired

• Love 3

I thought maybe it was because the actor who played "Freddy" Malick in the 30's was the same who played Wilfred Malick later.  They'd have to find an actor young enough to play the young Freddy but also could be made up to play the older man he became.  With the right kind of face, and a beard, it could work.

But I looked it up, and they were completely different actors.  And it didn't really work because it just looked like a bad disguise anyway.  So I'm stumped.