Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03 : Icicle

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

After a dangerous run-in with a member of the Injustice Society of America, Pat warns Courtney to back down from her attempts to go after them. But when she encounters what she believes to be a message from one of them, she urges Pat to help her. Meanwhile, Barbara makes strides at work, which impresses her new boss Jordan Mahkent.

Damn, Icicle is one cold mfer. I certainly didn't expect the IS to be down two members so quickly.

JSA headquarters was great. I didn't expect so many major artifacts - like, say, a Battery of Power - to be hanging around. I can't imagine that the Helm of Nabu is just sitting there waiting for a new chosen host. I also can't say that the owl looked real, but it did look freaky.

(edited)

One side is led by a corporate bigshot with Nazi hair who insists that he only wants money and power so that he can promote family values. 

And the other side is co-led by:

a. a talky sensitive stepdad who makes annoying health foods while the kids walk all over him, and

b. a politically correct girl who thinks that the way to shut down bullies is by saying "Hey, you're being mean to that person that you are deliberately trying to be mean to," instead of what any other girl in that argument would say: "Oh, and speaking of sluttiness, nice outfits."

So... is this show shopping at the same anvil factory as "Supergirl?"

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, CletusMusashi said:

So... is this show shopping at the same anvil factory as "Supergirl

Gosh, do you think the boy drawing flowers in his book might be the obligatory gay kid in school?  Especially since he's the son of the "family values" villain!  What a twist!

Seriously, I'm really liking this show so far and am eager to see how they handle the Junior Justice Society idea.  Whooo's feeding that owl, though?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Another fairly good episode. I think they kind of held themselves back in the writers room though. 

What I do really appreciate about this episode is unlike TheCW shows that feel like "Oliver is the central character so he must be in 99% of the scenes" this allows some of their other characters to breathe, most notably their villain. We got plenty of screen time with Icicle and seeing how charming/deadly he can be. All it takes is one touch and you're essentially dead. I was surprised that they had him kill The Magician's son...he's certainly cold hearted! And then he goes and kills THE MAGICIAN himself which I did not see coming. I for sure thought that he was just giving him a "dont try me" freeze brain. What comes of the wand? Is it gone? I assume it was magic....will the wife end up getting it somehow? Seems like it'll be a waste for such a powerful object to be destroyed so early on.

Courtney continues to be a total Teen...which isnt so bad, she hasnt hit annoying but she is certainly "act first, think second". I was surprised that the staff getting iced made it practically obsolete, by the time it got back up and working I was expecting her to try to save The Magicians son and just be to late instead of just an up close shot of her reacting to it. That's definitely where I think they failed and it would've made for a much more powerful scene. Not sure recreating the JSA with a bunch of teens with zero experience is the way to go....I would've preferred a good mix, some adults...some teens. 

I can appreciate them trying to weave Courtneys mom into the plot and develop her character but I think they could've shortend her scenes to a degree and given the screen time to Courtney. 

Looks like apart from most lilekly the finale, episodes will be 42-44mins which means TheCW wont have to cut anymore scenes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

What was Pat thinking, exactly? "Instead of keeping all these powerful super-objects locked up somewhere, I'm going to prominently display them in a place where they can be easily stolen, and then show them to a girl who has a history of grabbing powerful super-objects and going rogue with them, because what could possibly go wrong?"

I actually do really like this show. But so much of it is so competent that I do have to give a bit of side-eye to the stuff that they phone it in on. Even though that stuff is fun too.

9 hours ago, cdnalor said:

Whooo's feeding that owl, though?

I assume the owl has access to the outside somehow. Either that or the building is infested with mice, rain drippings, and bird guano.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Man, they really had to kill Joey just like that?  His mom is without a doubt going to join up with Courtney's Justice Society.  Her husband and son were taken from her, she has no loyalty to Injustice Society.

Icicle's son, couldn't they have cast a younger looking actor?  He looked 30.

Luke Wilson was born to play Pat.

• Love 3
On 6/1/2020 at 1:44 PM, cdnalor said:

Gosh, do you think the boy drawing flowers in his book might be the obligatory gay kid in school?  Especially since he's the son of the "family values" villain!  What a twist!

No I think he going to Courtney's love interest because of course she have to hit it off with the son of the man she hates the most.

• Love 3
On 6/1/2020 at 2:01 PM, Primal Slayer said:

he's certainly cold hearted!

I see what you did there.

I love that the fact that Icicle killed Starman, a full-grown adult male that had been at it a while, doesn't make Courtney, a fifteen year old girl who's been at it five minutes, pause in the slightest.

• LOL 3
(edited)

I think Stargirl was trying to tell Joey before the crash: "That's really my card! 3 of Clubs"!

How old is Michael?! I am waiting for him to go the fridge, grab a beer and call his bookie to place bets.

Poor dog had to eat junk food.

I bet there were some jealous employees giving Barbara evil looks for gaining the boss' attention. 

Is Barbara going to head the committee for putting on shows at the old theater? She may have bitten off more than she can chew.

Why did Stargirl need to light her staff to blind Joey? I don't think Joey would recognize Pat inside the machine!

Did these villains decide to have babies around the same time?

Never got to see William's skills. He was eliminated quick.

What's Icicle's reason to wipe out the William and Joey? Did William play a part in Christine's death? Or he wants the widow all for himself.

Is the "Dating Game" that old for the kids to not know?

I doubt Stargirl is considering Pat to have a seat at the JSA table.

Looking forward to hear Courtney's sales pitch to her potential recruits next week. 

The cuts to commercial were better this week. Not abrupt.

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Jediknight said:

Luke Wilson was born to play Pat.

Agreed.

Much like Icicle's parents, Icicle's wife apparently knew he was a supervillain -- and was apparently ok with that.  I'm curious exactly what killed Icicle's wife and why he's out for revenge.

Based on their ages, the supervillains all had kids about 5 years before the JSA was slaughtered.  Then again apparently so did Starman.  Must have been something in the water 15 years ago.  :)

• Love 4

Man, as far as supervillians go, William The Wizard/Magician actually seemed to be a loving father and husband, which makes him a step above most.  Supervillians can be good family men, dammit!  He really was not meant to last with the likes of Icicle and Brainwave around.  Granted, it looks like Icicle's main motivations are family-related to be fair, but it's another case of a villain using a personal tragedy to allow him to do nefarious stuff. Still, he's being set up as an effective enough of a main baddie.  Totally forgot that Neil Jackson also played Abraham/Headless on Sleepy Hollow.

Surprised that they went there with Joey.  It was sad, but I wish they introduced him a bit earlier, so it would have really been more tragic for Courtney to see it, instead of just one real scene early on in this episode.  But it looks like it is mainly a set-up for Pat to want to scale things back, while Courtney naturally wants to go even further now.

Glad that it looks like Barbara might be factoring in more, since she is inadvertently working for Icicle, since he's her boss during his "day job."

I so can't wait to see how Chekhov's gun... err, pink ink pen comes into play!

Still not a fan of the Rick character.  I like Pat, but he needs to stop letting his kid walk all over him (then again, he's certainly letting Courtney get away with a whole bunch of things most teens shouldn't be doing!)

So, Courtney wants to reform the team, huh?  I'm guessing her recruits are going to consist of her lunch "buddies", who haven't done much yet, but clearly are being established to be here long term.  Especially the guy who is apparently Icicle's son.  What a twist!

Still enjoying the show.  Both Brec Bassinger and Luke Wilson continue to be highlights.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, supernatural666 said:

No I think he going to Courtney's love interest because of course she have to hit it off with the son of the man she hates the most.

When it was revealed he was Icicle's son I did serious eye rolling along with "oh course! They are throwing hints hes gonna be Courtney's love interest so of course hes the son of her enemy. Why avoid that troupe! 🙄🙄 I like the idea of him being gay though cause I REALLY dont want him being the guy Courtney gets hot for. I do not like that troupe 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

I think Stargirl was trying to tell Joey before the crash: "That's really my card! 3 of Clubs"!

How old is Michael?! I am waiting for him to go the fridge, grab a beer and call his bookie to place bets.

Poor dog had to eat junk food.

I bet there were some jealous employees giving Barbara evil looks for gaining the boss' attention. 

Is Barbara going to head the committee for putting on shows at the old theater? She may have bitten off more than she can chew.

Why did Stargirl need to light her staff to blind Joey? I don't think Joey would recognize Pat inside the machine!

Did these villains decide to have babies around the same time?

Never got to see William's skills. He was eliminated quick.

What's Icicle's reason to wipe out the William and Joey? Did William play a part in Christine's death? Or he wants the widow all for himself.

Is the "Dating Game" that old for the kids to not know?

I doubt Stargirl is considering Pat to have a seat at the JSA table.

Looking forward to hear Courtney's sales pitch to her potential recruits next week. 

The cuts to commercial were better this week. Not abrupt.

I'm thinking Icicle may take a liking to Barbara actually so they have the drama of Courtney and Pat finding out Icicle is her Boss or one of her bosses. Also why they are probably gonna have Courtney and Cameron hook up so Courtney finds out her love interest 's dad is her enemy 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

He probably saw them as weak, and not being able to pull off his plan.  Joey seemed like a good kid, that wouldn't want to hurt anybody, so he wouldn't join the Injustice Society.  And William seemed like a father who loved his son, and wouldn't have forced his son to join the Society, if his son didn't want to.  William seemed like he would side with his son over the Injustice Society.  When Joey showed him his trick, his reaction was to encourage him and give him the pointer of misdirection.  There was nothing to show that he was embarrassed or disappointed that his son wasn't as good as he was, or anything but a good kid.

William seemed to be all about his family life.  He also didn't call Icicle after he found out somebody had the Cosmic Staff.  His heart wasn't completely in the Injustice Society.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, mxc90 said:

I keep waiting for the reveal that he's a deaged Hour Man or something. He's acting like an immature adult trapped in a kid's body most of the time and Pat and he don't act like a father/son combo.

I have no idea what powers the original JLA had, but Hour Man sounded like it dealt with time and maybe something went terribly wrong during the final battle. Or maybe the owl guy (Wizard?)? The owl will fly to him one day!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

My interpretation is that Courtney and Pat are still trying to keep their whole “we have a giant flying robot” thing on the down low.  Which, long term is going to be an issue.  But for now I get why they would try to keep STRIPE secret- once it becomes common knowledge, it’s not going to be difficult to track that thing back to them.

In any case, this was another solid episode.  The only really dodgy effect was the CGI bus during the crash- otherwise the show continues to look great.  Also, Pat is correct- Paperboy was the best arcade game.

• Love 3

Pat: Courtney, I know that you want to do good here in this cesspool of sinister disguised as a modest small town-

Courtney: Get justice for the JSA! And my dad!

Pat: We don't know if Sylvester is your father, and I really doubt it.

Courtney: Then why did the staff choose me?

Pat: Plot reasons. Look at this hall of justice. Once, it was the headquarters of the greatest superheroes on Earth-

Courtney: This Earth.

Pat: Don't do that. Most of them got killed eight years ago. And you're just a wonderful girl with above-average gymnastic ability, a bond with a sentient weapon, and more heart than anyone your age should have, even on a DC Comics-based series.

Courtney: But. I. Want. To. Help.

Pat: First of all, thank you for not clapping between words. Second, I just want you to be a kid. And I don't want to explain to your mother how you got killed by people who actually call themselves "Injustice Society of America." And I don't want to lose my temper because I got this "Strange Visitor From Planet Dad" vibe going, and I think the audience is loving it. Courtney, please . . . say you understand.

Courtney: (pout) I guess. (storms off)

Pat: (takes deep breath) She's not gonna listen to me.

Hootie: No kidding. Should I eat the pink pen now? Keep her from grabbing that?

Looks like Icicle guy is playing for keeps, AND he's got parents with suspicious accents. Meanwhile, Pat's kid is slowly skidding out of control. The only good thing with his mood: English Bulldog with Cheeto face.

And yeah, Courtney looting the JSA stuff was . . . yikes. I did have a laugh about the "pink pen," because I am a flaming geek.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm curious exactly what killed Icicle's wife and why he's out for revenge.

Ostensibly, Icicle claims it was toxic pollution that gave his wife cancer, so he's out to clean up the environment. 
I hope they quickly reveal something else, because this makes no sense for a villain. At least not to me.

The other WTF plot point for me:
So Barbara is expecting Pat to cook dinner, and she come home to stepson and dog dining on Cheetohs for dinner and the grounded stepson playing on a new game with Pat and Courtney nowhere. I guess it's a good thing they have such a strong marriage?????

But, plot story-wise, good job on contrasting Barbara's coming home to things being unexpectedly wrong  with the Magician/Wizard coming home to his wife and wordlessly falling into each other's arms with grief, only to be followed by the Wizard going and getting himself killed by Icicle. 

About this: Did Icicle in any way target young magician Joey? Like causing the card to swoop away so he would chase it? I ask because in the earlier conversation between Icicle and Joey's dad (The Wizard/William Zarick), when Dad Wizard told Icicle that his son was the most important thing to him, Icicle was pretty *cold* in his response. 

On 6/1/2020 at 2:01 PM, Primal Slayer said:

What comes of the wand? Is it gone? I assume it was magic....will the wife end up getting it somehow?

Since we last saw the wand in Icicle's mansion, I'm guessing Icicle's son will find the wand and join the New Justice Society of America as mr Wizard.

10 hours ago, supernatural666 said:
On 6/1/2020 at 12:44 PM, cdnalor said:

If drawing and painting flowers is the show's code for gay, maybe Cameron (actor Hunter Sansone) will be Courtney's bff. 

I guess being the son of a supervillain prematurely ages teens...

9 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Heh, if you mean Henry King Jr. (Brainwave's son), Jake Austin Walker is *only* 23 (trendcelebsnow.com/jake-austin-walker-net-worth/).
Or, if you mean Cameron Mahkent (Jordan Mahkent/Icicle's son)...

10 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Icicle's son, couldn't they have cast a younger looking actor?  He looked 30

Heh, Icicle's 15-year-old son is played by an actor who is almost 27 (imdb.com/name/nm5240506/?ref_=tt_cl_t12), but my real issue was his deep baritone voice.
And, yes, @mxc90, any bookie would take bets from that voice.
To be fair, humans rarely become emotionally mature before 25 or 6, so they would want to cast actors who behave responsibly on set.

9 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, Courtney wants to reform the team, huh?  I'm guessing her recruits are going to consist of her lunch "buddies", who haven't done much yet, but clearly are being established to be here long term.  Especially the guy who is apparently Icicle's son.  What a twist!

8 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

they are probably gonna have Courtney and Cameron hook up so Courtney finds out her love interest 's dad is her enemy 

Told y'all so in the pilot thread. *pats self on back*

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Zanne said:

I have no idea what powers the original JLA had, but Hour Man sounded like it dealt with time

When Hourman takes Miraclo a pill he invented which grants him super-strength and endurance, but only for one hour.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

About this: Did Icicle in any way target young magician Joey? Like causing the card to swoop away so he would chase it? I ask because in the earlier conversation between Icicle and Joey's dad (The Wizard/William Zarick), when Dad Wizard told Icicle that his son was the most important thing to him, Icicle was pretty *cold* in his response. 

Yes, it seemed pretty clear to me that Icicle targetted Joey.

• Love 2

Was very shocked they book the Wizard off the board like that. Though you get it. Icicle was basically telling Courtney: "You want to be a super hero, then here is a big lesson for you!" I was waiting for Mrs. Zarick to have a mental break down right there. In less than a few hours, both her son and husband are dead. I have to say it is interesting that they are going with the fact that Pat doesn't know any of the Injustice Society's real names or faces. I can understand in cases like Sportsmaster or Icicle where their faces are either hidden or distorted enough you can really tell who they are. However... you think he start going through local pictures because with people like: Brainwave, Tigress, The Gambler, the Wizard, they didn't wear masks. I do like that Pat asked Dr. Chapel how Brainwave was found and learned that someone is keeping suspicion under wraps. 

I will say this, Cindy is perfectly characterized from the comics here. 

That sure took a dark turn, huh? Its all fun and games until Icicle murders a kid because he was pissed at his dad. Poor Joey, I wish they had at least waited a few weeks to kill him off, he seemed like he could be a fun supporting character. I even felt sorry for the Wizard, villain or not, he clearly loved his family and was a good husband and father, and losing a child is one of the worst things that can happen. I also hope they dont make it a habit to kill off/incapacitate an Injustice Society member every week, we wont have anyone for Courtney to actually fight. I guess Icicle suspected that the Wizard was kind of over being a supervillain and was happy enough just being with his family, so decided to get rid of him before he could try to break from the group. 

I kind of hope that the Wizards wife is the one to finally take Icicle out after he killed her family. She seemed to know about his magic wand, maybe he had a spare lying around for her to use? 

So the old headquarters is still just sitting there? I also love how they have giant ass posters of all their faces up next to their iconic items, its so extra. So is that owl magic and thats why its still around so many years later? In the season finale, will the owl start to talk? 

Good to see Barbara having a bit more to do, now working directly under Icicle. Icicle supports both small businesses and child murder. 

Poor Courtney, being a hero isn't all sparkly costumes, giant robots, and magic staffs you can do flips on. I guess its time to actually start using some of these minor supporting characters, because Courtney needs back up!

Luke Wilson was clearly meant to play Pat, he has such strong dad energy.

• Love 5

I started watching this out of curiosity, but if they're going with a new Justice Society, I'm in for the indefinite haul.  I always found the dated "from another age" feel of the JSA to be interesting.  

I'm a little surprised Courtney is giving her friend the Wildcat costume.  Wildcat was just a boxer, he didn't have any powers that I remember.  Maybe they will have the costume give powers.  Still, I would have thought giving out a power battery or a Thunderbolt might be more useful.

The original Black Canary was actually a member of the JSA, but I guess they don't want to interfere with the continuity in Arrow.  I was surprised to see the Thunderbolt, because I had watched a podcast video about Black Canary, and she was introduced as a side feature in Johnny Thunder, and quickly took his place.  Some of these superheroes are pretty hokey by today's standards, but I'm glad to see them, there's a certain charm there.

On 6/1/2020 at 1:44 PM, cdnalor said:

You might be right there, I didn't think about the flowers.  I was getting more of a "potential love interest" for Courtney vibe off of him, but maybe he'll just be a "best friend".  What if Courtney recruits him for the new Justice Society, and we'll have Icicle's son in the JSA opposing him.  Lots of potential drama there.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

I started watching this out of curiosity, but if they're going with a new Justice Society, I'm in for the indefinite haul.  I always found the dated "from another age" feel of the JSA to be interesting.  

I'm a little surprised Courtney is giving her friend the Wildcat costume.  Wildcat was just a boxer, he didn't have any powers that I remember.  Maybe they will have the costume give powers.  Still, I would have thought giving out a power battery or a Thunderbolt might be more useful.

The second Wildcast which is Yolanda was both a fighter, used her claws to both climb walls, slice through certain materials and had enhanced agility. 

16 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Looks like Icicle guy is playing for keeps, AND he's got parents with suspicious accents.

Norwegian is an underrated bad guy accent - thanks to the original Dragon Tattoo movies, it has a strong “secret Nazi” vibe.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, readster said:

The second Wildcast which is Yolanda was both a fighter, used her claws to both climb walls, slice through certain materials and had enhanced agility. 

Very cool, but where does the enhanced agility come from?  Does it come from the suit? 

By the way, if Courtney's going to tailor the original Wildcat suit to fit Yolanda, I hope the school has repaired or replaced all their sewing machines.

7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Icicle murders a kid because he was pissed at his dad. Poor Joey, I wish they had at least waited a few weeks to kill him off,

On other shows when they've killed off a character we just met it doesn't have much emotional impact. Kudos to Wil Deusner (Joey), the writers, directors, etc. for making us quickly warm up to Joey so we would feel his loss --beyond the over-choreographed grief scene of his parents. 

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Very cool, but where does the enhanced agility come from?  Does it come from the suit? 

By the way, if Courtney's going to tailor the original Wildcat suit to fit Yolanda, I hope the school has repaired or replaced all their sewing machines.

Meta human

35 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I hope the high school is outfitted with a new fleet of superhero-costume grade sewing machines.

17 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Courtney: Get justice for the JSA! And my dad!

Pat: We don't know if Sylvester is your father, and I really doubt it.

Courtney: Then why did the staff choose me?

Pat: Plot reasons. Look at this hall of justice. Once, it was the headquarters of the greatest superheroes on Earth-

I so want Courtney to find out the her dad is actually Starman's brother, who ditched her and her mom and has been living with his 2nd family in Paramus, NJ for the past 10 years.

• Love 9

As dark as it was for Kid Magician to be killed, I liked the use of the Three of Clubs--that's either a Penn & Teller shout-out, or a remarkable coincidence.  Considering P & T have been on the CW Network, and most people in magic know their love of the Three of Clubs, it's a shout out.

I like how Courtney and Pat act as much like normal family who have super-powers could. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

I so want Courtney to find out the her dad is actually Starman's brother, who ditched her and her mom and has been living with his 2nd family in Paramus, NJ for the past 10 years.

Interesting. So, evil twin or regular twin?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Interesting. So, evil twin or regular twin?

Good question. Either would explain why the Staff went to Courtney instead of him.

Anyway, Courtney got "the Right Stuff" and he didn't. He's just a deadbeat dad.

• Love 1

So ... I find myself wondering if Icicle is Courtney's father. Sure, there's the issue of Courtney's Mom not recognizing him, but he had a teammate with mind powers, so that's not a deal breaker.

He looks enough like Joel McHale that blurry pictures of one could pass for the other. He seems interested in Courtney's mom and rearranges his plans for the town to preserve a theater she likes, and the giant coincidence of her hometown happening to be the place Icicle is creating his perfect community and her getting a job offer to return now makes some sense if there's an existing connection between the two of them.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

So ... I find myself wondering if Icicle is Courtney's father. Sure, there's the issue of Courtney's Mom not recognizing him, but he had a teammate with mind powers, so that's not a deal breaker.

He looks enough like Joel McHale that blurry pictures of one could pass for the other

I know what you mean when he in normal form he does look like he could pass for Courtney dad and an article on TV guide talks about how Icicle will develop feels for Courtney's mom but first I don't think CW would do the ick factor of having Courtney get flirty with her unknown half brother and second Even if he had Brainwave mess with her mind to have her forget him you would think it would show even a little if he knew who she was.

Here the article I was talking about. https://www.tvguide.com/news/stargirl-neil-jackson-interview-icicle-courtney-mom/

Honestly Courtney is starting to annoy me a bit. How many times is Courtney going to have to get her butt kicked effortlessly by supervillains before she stops treating being Stargirl as a game? Pat is repeatedly trying to hammer into Courtney how dangerous the Injustice Society is and how even a group of veteran superheroes got killed by them yet even Icicle casually wasting a kid doesn't seem to get it into her thick skull just what she's in for.

On 6/3/2020 at 10:48 AM, tennisgurl said:

I also hope they dont make it a habit to kill off/incapacitate an Injustice Society member every week, we wont have anyone for Courtney to actually fight.

I'm guessing they'll throw in a few "villain/monster of the week" episodes during the season so that the new Justice Society can get a bit of experience under their belts. Or at least I hope so, because the idea that a bunch of rookie teenagers in costumes could take out veteran supervillains even just the whole JS vs 1 of them would be just plain ridiculous.

So the old headquarters is still just sitting there?

Yeah, you would have expected the Injustice Society to have blown the place up or something or at the very least have swiped everything of worth in the building after they took out the Justice Society rather than just... leave it there.

I guess the show's producers wanted to save money this episode because I kept thinking The Wizard guy would have blasted Icicle the second he opened his door instead of just jabbing his wand into his face. Wizard knows exactly what Icicle is capable of and yet that is what he does, he was practically begging for Icicle to kill him.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, immortalfrieza said:

I guess the show's producers wanted to save money this episode because I kept thinking The Wizard guy would have blasted Icicle the second he opened his door instead of just jabbing his wand into his face. Wizard knows exactly what Icicle is capable of and yet that is what he does, he was practically begging for Icicle to kill him.

Wizard was under the impression that it could have been an accident so he opted to question first, blast later if necessary.

Of course that was probably part of Icicle's plan to steal the wand and replace Wizard.

• Love 1

I continue to be impressed with this show--not just the stuff like effects, but the writing.

Most shows would have had Wizard get fooled by Icicle into thinking that Stargirl killed his son, setting up a cliched grudge match.

This show only flirted with the idea long enough to mislead us for the few minutes it took for him to get to Icicle's house.

That's a ten out of ten in the writing department.

Plus the balance between Courtney being just a little bit bratty and irresponsible and her being heroic and brave is being navigated with as much expertise as I've ever seen on a show of this type.  Part of that is due to Brec Bassinger being a charisma magnet, but the other part is just good solid writing.

The Master Race/Nazi vibes off Icicle and their little New America project are yes, probably predictable, but I'm willing to give them a chance. The show has earned it with stuff like killing Wizard.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 6/3/2020 at 11:48 AM, tennisgurl said:

That sure took a dark turn, huh? Its all fun and games until Icicle murders a kid because he was pissed at his dad. Poor Joey, I wish they had at least waited a few weeks to kill him off, he seemed like he could be a fun supporting character. I even felt sorry for the Wizard, villain or not, he clearly loved his family and was a good husband and father, and losing a child is one of the worst things that can happen. I also hope they dont make it a habit to kill off/incapacitate an Injustice Society member every week, we wont have anyone for Courtney to actually fight. I guess Icicle suspected that the Wizard was kind of over being a supervillain and was happy enough just being with his family, so decided to get rid of him before he could try to break from the group. 

Yes, but as I say elsewhere that's what makes the episode so strong. The show REALLY fooled us into thinking that this was all about Icicle toughening up Wizard and setting him against Stargirl, but it didn't go that way at all.  I never even guessed Icicle would kill the boy, never even guessed he WOULDN'T bother to try and blame it on Stargirl, and certainly never guessed he'd just off Wizard.  This was totally Pro writing.  And frankly, you can always bring in more villains.  Offing them at the right points is refreshing.  Besides, you just know Brainwave is coming back at some point... so there's that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Kromm said:

And frankly, you can always bring in more villains.  Offing them at the right points is refreshing.  Besides, you just know Brainwave is coming back at some point... so there's that.

Right and they are already setting up Brainwave Jr. with him subconsciously moving the coffee cup due to having a dream. Plus, also adding in that Pat is also learning that people are trying to cover up for various members of the Injustice League from being publicly ousted. 

On 6/6/2020 at 9:24 PM, Kromm said:

I continue to be impressed with this show--not just the stuff like effects, but the writing.

Most shows would have had Wizard get fooled by Icicle into thinking that Stargirl killed his son, setting up a cliched grudge match.

This show only flirted with the idea long enough to mislead us for the few minutes it took for him to get to Icicle's house.

That's a ten out of ten in the writing department.

Plus the balance between Courtney being just a little bit bratty and irresponsible and her being heroic and brave is being navigated with as much expertise as I've ever seen on a show of this type.  Part of that is due to Brec Bassinger being a charisma magnet, but the other part is just good solid writing.

The Master Race/Nazi vibes off Icicle and their little New America project are yes, probably predictable, but I'm willing to give them a chance. The show has earned it with stuff like killing Wizard.

I don't know, he seems to have surrounded himself with a fairly diverse group. My guess is that with his wife's death he's more of a Thanos style environmental extremist who is planning to save the human race by killing half the population.

On 6/6/2020 at 7:24 PM, Kromm said:

I agree.  I thought for sure that’s where they were going, and was impressed when they didn’t. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I really wish that they didn't have Pat with a son as he's so annoying and adds nothing to the plot. He's quickly turning into the brother (played by a young Seth Green) from "Can't Buy Me Love" ... which is a totally underrated teen movie from the past!

Edited by AAEBoiler
  • Love 3
On 6/26/2020 at 8:18 AM, AAEBoiler said:

I really wish that they didn't have Pat with a son as he's so annoying and adds nothing to the plot. He's quickly turning into the brother (played by a young Seth Green) from "Can't Buy Me Love" ... which is a totally underrated teen movie from the past!

It is a underrated movie for sure !  Very enjoyable. Sad that the lead female is gone now 😞