Type keyword(s) to search

Candiace Dillard Bassett: Ducking Purses Since 2018

• Start Topic

This thread is to discuss Candiace Dillard Bassett, a howife I nearly forgot, to be honest. Discuss her frequent yapping, breakdowns in the face of her mother (who would have been a better candidate for the show) and terrible wigs, despite owning a wig company.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, politichick said:

Are vile Candiace's days on the show numbered? https://pagesix.com/2020/08/13/rhop-star-candiace-dillard-apologizes-for-past-homophobic-tweets/

A girl can hope!

You know, if Monique is off the show, she will be fine. She has a wealthy husband that adores her, beautiful family, and can probably use her time on the show to become a social media influencer of some sort.

If Candiass gets kicked off the show, she will have to go crawling back to mama to support her and her deadbeat husband.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, lasu said:

I really can't stand Candiace, so this is quite painful, but is there anything more recent than a decade ago?  People change A LOT between 23 and 33.

They still get kicked off of shows like the idiots at Vanderpump Rules. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, lasu said:

I really can't stand Candiace, so this is quite painful, but is there anything more recent than a decade ago?  People change A LOT between 23 and 33.

I’m with you. 
Until recently, we were allowed to grow and change as human beings. I’m 55 and I’ve changed and grown a lot in the last five years, let alone from when I was in college.

I really, really, really can’t stand Candy-Ass, not from what she said 10 years ago but her behavior this season on RHOP.

• Love 9

There would seem to be a terrible double standard if they let Candiace slide when they let go of the Vanderpump people unless there is some "claim" that the Vanderpump bigots unless the rationale is that the Vanderpump people took ACTION against another cast member  based on her being a woman of color.

• Love 3

Not a fan of Candiace but her tweets are different then what the VPR ppl did. They tried to get someone put in jail and called the cops and military. A bit different then those gross tweets.

• Love 3

I also feel that what Stassi and Kristen did was different, not only in that their action could have actually led to a black person being killed by a cop, it was also much more recent and they were older.  There is some sort of formula in my head that is something like:

[egregiousness of offense] + [age of offender] - [years since last offense] = lasu's ruling on cancellation.  Sometimes I will allow the apology to be taken into consideration, but most times it works against the offender.

Lasu's ruling is not binding anywhere but in my head, and then is subject to reversal upon appeal.

That said, that formula could still end with a ruling of Candiace being kicked off the show.  I don't think anyone "deserves" or had "earned" a spot on a reality tv show, and I'm fine with her losing her spot over this, even if it was ten years ago, if Bravo/NBC want to take a hard stance.  I could also be ok if they used my formula and decide she can stay.  This is only if I look at it fairly.  Personally, I have a STRONG dislike for her, so I would prefer to see her AND her crazy ass mother go.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I agree with you all about their being a big difference between a person's 23 year old self and their 33 year old self and that people can change a lot during that time.  However, there's a small percentage of people who don't change....and they're usually assholes (please refer to Giselle and her constant mean girl stature that she's probably been pulling since middle school).  Candiace leans towards that asshole category real hard! I'm trying to give her the benefit of the doubt because of time, but.....I'm struggling.  

Edited by luckyroll3
  • Love 4

Candiace is ruining this show for me. Her lack of accountability, immaturity, vile behavior makes her not even fun to hate. There’s no humanity to her at all.  Even her relationship with Chris is forced and inauthentic.  As far as her homophobic tweets, Bravo did fire someone from Below Deck Med and re-edit the show giving him less airtime based on his tweets.  They’ve done it.  She can get the same treatment which would be just desserts for someone who continues to use Twitter as a weapon.  

• Love 5

Just catching up on Potomac and I cannot stand Candiace. She only detracts from the show and is ruining something that used to be quite entertaining with her bratty entitled persona, violent temper, unwillingness to let go. Bravo made a big mistake bringing her back--she doesn't deserve camera time.

Also, her mother Dorothy is NOT a psychiatrist or physician. She is a licensed clinical social worker who charges $60/hour. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists/dorothy-d-watts-stockbridge-ga/121532

I doubt Candiace's family is anywhere near as wealthy as she claims. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, Rahul said:

Just catching up on Potomac and I cannot stand Candiace. She only detracts from the show and is ruining something that used to be quite entertaining with her bratty entitled persona, violent temper, unwillingness to let go. Bravo made a big mistake bringing her back--she doesn't deserve camera time.

Also, her mother Dorothy is NOT a psychiatrist or physician. She is a licensed clinical social worker who charges $60/hour. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists/dorothy-d-watts-stockbridge-ga/121532

Wow, I went all this time thinking Candiass's mother was a doctor.  I guess she is about as much of a doctor as Candiass is a trust fund baby and her husband is West Virginia Royalty.

Edited by qtpye
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3

Unless there's inherited wealth, Candiace's parents are solidly middle class. Her father was/is a military physician.

I assume the "trust fund" is simply a routine, garden-variety revocable trust, which many middle-class folks use to provide for themselves and their beneficiaries. You place all of your assets in it (savings, pension, home) and then you can do whatever you want with those assets during your lifetime. If there's anything left when you leave this mortal coil, it goes to your beneficiaries.

It's highly recommended by estate planners and you don't need to be rich to do it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Unless there's inherited wealth, Candiace's parents are solidly middle class. Her father was/is a military physician.

I assume the "trust fund" is simply a routine, garden-variety revocable trust, which many middle-class folks use to provide for themselves and their beneficiaries. You place all of your assets in it (savings, pension, home) and then you can do whatever you want with those assets during your lifetime. If there's anything left when you leave this mortal coil, it goes to your beneficiaries.

It's highly recommended by estate planners and you don't need to be rich to do it.

That’s exactly what it is and Candiass has no understanding of it whatsoever.

• Love 5
On 8/22/2020 at 1:24 PM, Rahul said:

OMG Dorothy's office is about 15 minutes away from me. I know she was in GA but I didn't realize how close she was. 

• LOL 1

FWIW, a LCSW is a real therapist.  No, they are not psychiatrists or psychologists, but they are legitimate therapists.  I'm only saying that in defense of other LCSW therapists and their patients, because obviously Candiace's mom is fucking insane.  The Housewives franchises have absolutely no shortage of the worst mothers on the planet, but Mrs. Candiace may be my least favorite.  I wouldn't pay a dime for her therapy, even if she had 47 degrees like Wendy.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, lasu said:

FWIW, a LCSW is a real therapist.  No, they are not psychiatrists or psychologists, but they are legitimate therapists.  I'm only saying that in defense of other LCSW therapists and their patients, because obviously Candiace's mom is fucking insane.  The Housewives franchises have absolutely no shortage of the worst mothers on the planet, but Mrs. Candiace may be my least favorite.  I wouldn't pay a dime for her therapy, even if she had 47 degrees like Wendy.

I don’t understand why she comes on the show? She looks like an idiot and Candiass has no respect for her whatsoever. It seems like this would ruin her professional reputation. Even Ashley has more love for her deadbeat always borrowing money mama.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, qtpye said:

I don’t understand why she comes on the show? She looks like an idiot and Candiass has no respect for her whatsoever. It seems like this would ruin her professional reputation. Even Ashley has more love for her deadbeat always borrowing money mama.

IMO?  Because she can't let Candiace do anything on her own.  She came on the show to make sure she got credit for everything Candiace "accomplishes."  No way was Mom going to let Candiace strike out, make a name or money for herself.  I truly dislike Candiace, but I dislike her mother far more, and her mother very much encourages the co-dependence.  

• Love 6
On 8/22/2020 at 1:24 PM, Rahul said:

Say what now? I distinctly remember Candiace saying on multiple occasions that BOTH of her parents were doctors. Also y'all, she specializes in relationship issues. Da fuck! I would not want that woman talking to me or anyone I know about healthy relationships; she is toxic as hell.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

Say what now? I distinctly remember Candiace saying on multiple occasions that BOTH of her parents were doctors. Also y'all, she specializes in relationship issues. Da fuck! I would not want that woman talking to me or anyone I know about healthy relationships; she is toxic as hell.

Candiass loves to embellish her family's pedigree....sort of like how she claims to get recognized in airports because she one a third rate pageant. I would not recognize the current Ms. America if she walked across my living room let alone  whatever the hell Candiass won.

I think it is because she is insecure about her accomplishments, particularly in regards to how supposedly well she was raised. The African American professional elite usually expect a lot from their kids.

The sad thing is there is nothing wrong with what her mother does for a living. There is no need to pretend she is something she is not.

3 hours ago, lasu said:

IMO?  Because she can't let Candiace do anything on her own.  She came on the show to make sure she got credit for everything Candiace "accomplishes."  No way was Mom going to let Candiace strike out, make a name or money for herself.  I truly dislike Candiace, but I dislike her mother far more, and her mother very much encourages the co-dependence.  

She is the polar opposite of Ashley's mom. Ashley's mom expects her daughter to pay her bills why she hangs out with dead beat losers.

Candiass's mom wants her daughter to be totally dependent on her so she can never have a life of her own. It like the "mamma's boy" syndrome but with a girl. 

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 4
On 8/26/2020 at 7:41 AM, qtpye said:

I think she (and Chris) was hoping for a spin-off of the family. Something like Don’t Be Tardy where they would all get into wacky adventures but be so darn lovable in their disfunction. 

I don’t hate Candace (although I get why people do) and part of it is I feel like her mom and husband are using her as a fame springboard. There is something so off about that bunch that makes me feel for Candace.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Jextella said:

Last season I disliked Candiace and liked Monique. Now I dislike both of them.  Too bad for both.

I feel bad bad for their husbands. I'm sure they are both embarrassed.

Ditto. I loathe Candiace, but I barely felt an ounce of sympathy for her post-fight/tangled weave and all. She’s annoying AF and was all but begging Monique to “drag” her, which was an idiotic strategy on her part. As they say, don’t write a check your ass can’t cash.

As a longtime Monique fan though, I am SO disappointed in her; that entire fight was just tacky and crude, and yes, I’m glad she rightfully acknowledged that “the hood came out.” I was just as horrified and embarrassed back when Porsha “dragged” Kenya, and I’m not a Kenya fan either. I just don’t feel that any RH “has it coming” and deserves to be physically attacked, no matter what. I’m still annoyed that everyone on that cast seemingly took Porsha’s side just because they didn’t like Kenya, so I’m extremely glad that these other women were just as horrified and embarrassed that Monique went there and had to perpetuate that ABW/“hood rat” stereotype. It was so trashy and unnecessary, especially considering the fact that other people were at that winery witnessing that horror show!

And yes, I feel awful for Chris Samuels especially; you could just hear the disappointment and embarrassment in his voice, especially when Monique still didn’t seem to display an ounce of remorse over it the next day. I think at that moment he saw the writing on the wall and realized just what kind of a tragically sociopathic mess his wife and the mother of his 3 children truly was. 

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Sun-Bun said:

Ditto. I loathe Candiace, but I barely felt an ounce of sympathy for her post-fight/tangled weave and all. She’s annoying AF and was all but begging Monique to “drag” her, which was an idiotic strategy on her part. As they say, don’t write a check your ass can’t cash.

As a longtime Monique fan though, I am SO disappointed in her; that entire fight was just tacky and crude, and yes, I’m glad she rightfully acknowledged that “the hood came out.” I was just as horrified and embarrassed back when Porsha “dragged” Kenya, and I’m not a Kenya fan either. I just don’t feel that any RH “has it coming” and deserves to be physically attacked, no matter what. I’m still annoyed that everyone on that cast seemingly took Porsha’s side just because they didn’t like Kenya, so I’m extremely glad that these other women were just as horrified and embarrassed that Monique went there and had to perpetuate that ABW/“hood rat” stereotype. It was so trashy and unnecessary, especially considering the fact that other people were at that winery witnessing that horror show!

And yes, I feel awful for Chris Samuels especially; you could just hear the disappointment and embarrassment in his voice, especially when Monique still didn’t seem to display an ounce of remorse over it the next day. I think at that moment he saw the writing on the wall and realized just what kind of a tragically sociopathic mess his wife and the mother of his 3 children truly was. 

Yeah, though Monique was totally wrong, Candace was begging for a smack. I rewatched last week's episode this weekend and Wendy's face was WTAF, Candace, as that silly girl was jumping around trying to taunt Monique. Both were wrong, but I still hate Candace.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, politichick said:

Yeah, though Monique was totally wrong, Candace was begging for a smack. I rewatched last week's episode this weekend and Wendy's face was WTAF, Candace, as that silly girl was jumping around trying to taunt Monique. Both were wrong, but I still hate Candace.

Even though Candiass did in no way deserve to get beat up....I am in agreement that you do not tell people to drag you, no matter what.

I have a feeling this is the first time in her life that Candiass has actually has been held to account. All her life she has been the spoiled little girl who throws a tantrum and gets her way.

Again, horribly disappointed in Monique...Candiass is so not worth ruining your reputation for...Monique was stupid for that.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, qtpye said:

Even though Candiass did in no way deserve to get beat up....I am in agreement that you do not tell people to drag you, no matter what.

Do you think it would have changed anything had candace not said "drag me"?

People put a lot of focus on candace saying that, but I don't see how those would be magic words, like saying Beetlejuice three times.

But then I don't know if the argument is more of a cosmic one, or just one of optics, where Candace would have looked better had she not said that.  Because I think Monique was going to attack her no matter what Candace said.  

• Love 7
12 hours ago, qtpye said:

I have a feeling this is the first time in her life that Candiass has actually has been held to account. All her life she has been the spoiled little girl who throws a tantrum and gets her way.

Again, horribly disappointed in Monique...Candiass is so not worth ruining your reputation for...Monique was stupid for that.

Her mother hit her in the face. It’s even referred to in the title of this thread. Her mother has proven to be a wretched human who likely abused Candiace in some manner (emotional, physical) throughout her life. 

I do not like Candiace and up until the fight I was convinced that she started it and was completely in the wrong. But, Monique is the one who is 100% wrong in this case. I mentioned it in the episode thread but I am appalled by the victim blaming that’s going on here. It doesn’t matter if Candiace ran her mouth, said “drag me” 100x over, or if her nasty attitude from seasons past played a role. Monique committed assault and battery. It took several men and women to pry her off. She escaped to go find Candiace again and made threats. I don’t care what Candiace said or didn’t say. She is not the one in the wrong in this situation.

I also think that the title of this thread is in poor taste.

• Love 11
22 hours ago, politichick said:

There is NOTHING that anyone can say that would make me lower myself to that level of actually putting my hands on someone.  If that is your instinct, something is wrong.

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

There is NOTHING that anyone can say that would make me lower myself to that level of actually putting my hands on someone.  If that is your instinct, something is wrong.

And now Monique is making her rounds on her fake "I took responsibility a long time ago" tour. She claims she was set off because she thought Candiace pushed her shoulder. I watched the video. Gizelle pushed Monique's shoulder to stop her from flipping Candiace's hair. Candiace did not deserve this. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Legalbeagle421 said:

And now Monique is making her rounds on her fake "I took responsibility a long time ago" tour. She claims she was set off because she thought Candiace pushed her shoulder. I watched the video. Gizelle pushed Monique's shoulder to stop her from flipping Candiace's hair. Candiace did not deserve this. 

She is really doing the most to make up justifications.....first it was that Candace threw wine at her first, I guess now that thats been shut down its going to be that she responded to someone else pushing her shoulder by violently attacking Candace.  Maybe Monique takes full and real responsibility later in the season, but if she released a song called "drag queens" in response, it shows to me that she doesn't take this seriously and doesn't feel at fault for anything.  

Chris S. must be absolutely mortified.  

• Love 5
13 hours ago, RealReality said:

Do you think it would have changed anything had candace not said "drag me"?

People put a lot of focus on candace saying that, but I don't see how those would be magic words, like saying Beetlejuice three times.

But then I don't know if the argument is more of a cosmic one, or just one of optics, where Candace would have looked better had she not said that.  Because I think Monique was going to attack her no matter what Candace said.  

I want to make it clear that Candiass in no way, shape, or form deserved what happened to her. Monique was effing scary as hell.

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I want to make it clear that Candiass in no way, shape, or form deserved what happened to her. Monique was effing scary as hell.

LOL, I totally understand, but the question is sincere.

I don't know if people feel like Candace just tempted the universe by saying "drag me," if the optics looked bad because it gave Monique an excuse for her violence, or if people honestly think it might have made a difference to Monique had Candace not said that.  

I've read your other posts, and I know that you don't think Candace deserved what she got.  

• Love 3
1 minute ago, RealReality said:

LOL, I totally understand, but the question is sincere.

I don't know if people feel like Candace just tempted the universe by saying "drag me," if the optics looked bad because it gave Monique an excuse for her violence, or if people honestly think it might have made a difference to Monique had Candace not said that.  

I've read your other posts, and I know that you don't think Candace deserved what she got.  

I think a lot of people just feel betrayed because they sincerely liked Monique. If Monique was smart, she would have bowed out of this show last season and built a lifestyle brand off her popularity like Ayesha Curry.

I think it is very disappointing that she still is not taking responsibility for her actions, even a year later. She owes Candiass a sincere apology.

• Love 5

Perhaps there was some sort of contract that required them to be there together and take pictures to help promote the business?  Gizelle needs the money and Monique didn't know yet how everything was going to shake out.

I wonder if Monique tried to get Gizelle on her side while she was at the event or if they spoke about it at all.  

6 hours ago, RealReality said:

Perhaps there was some sort of contract that required them to be there together and take pictures to help promote the business?  Gizelle needs the money and Monique didn't know yet how everything was going to shake out.

I wonder if Monique tried to get Gizelle on her side while she was at the event or if they spoke about it at all.  

Based on Instagram, it was actually Robyn, not Gizelle. It wouldn’t surprise me if Robyn kept her commitment. She doesn’t seem afraid of Monique and her and Juan are both contributing to the household, so I could see her still going despite what went down. What I noticed and was intrigued by is it appears that Not For Lazy Moms podcast thing happened before the fight (snaps and claps to Bravo if they cut that shit out 😂) and then there was some kind of celebration for Chris maybe two days after the fight regarding his time with the Washington Football Team that only Ashley showed up for. Should be interesting. 

• Useful 2
52 minutes ago, Legalbeagle421 said:

Based on Instagram, it was actually Robyn, not Gizelle. It wouldn’t surprise me if Robyn kept her commitment. She doesn’t seem afraid of Monique and her and Juan are both contributing to the household, so I could see her still going despite what went down. What I noticed and was intrigued by is it appears that Not For Lazy Moms podcast thing happened before the fight (snaps and claps to Bravo if they cut that shit out 😂) and then there was some kind of celebration for Chris maybe two days after the fight regarding his time with the Washington Football Team that only Ashley showed up for. Should be interesting. 

I could totally believe that Robyn went.  She strikes me as professional and non-nonsense, so she could could be in a room with anyone and be cordial. 

And more so than anyone on the cast, even Candace, Robyn and Juan need the money, because they have children.  After what they have gone through, I don't think they take any money making opportunity for granted. 

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Iguessnot said:

Sorry folks it was Robyn. I'm old and get these brain farts.

No apologies! I have too much time on my hands in COVID world lol. Thank you for reminding me though because I did remember seeing posts about Robyn and Monique at this event last year and didn't realize it was literally a day after the fight. 

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Legalbeagle421 said:

No apologies! I have too much time on my hands in COVID world lol. Thank you for reminding me though because I did remember seeing posts about Robyn and Monique at this event last year and didn't realize it was literally a day after the fight. 

Yeah I took a couple of cell phone pics. I happened to be walking in as Monique was getting out of a black SUV. She greeted the store owners just fine. I didn't hang around the area she and Robyn were for too long, but they both looked great and behaved as anyone would expect. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, RealReality said:

If they purchased right now that doesn't seem super smart since there is likely to be high supply next year. 

I think prior to the virus the economy was slowing down and due for a correction.  From my understanding low interest rates were a way to try to stop it.  So if that was the case maybe it made sense to buy before coronavirus blew up.  

Candiace closed on her house in early October 2020. The house had been listed before at $1,250,000 but the price kept dropping until Candiace got it for $1 million. It just depends on the area.  I've seen the higher end homes in my area only stay on the market for about a week before going under contract ...the only people who are able to buy right now are the people with higher incomes.

As far as Robyn looking to buy when she's broke, the loan officer/underwriter will let her know how much she can afford and how much she needs to put down.  You can buy houses, cars, etc when you're one year out from bankruptcy so Robyn shouldn't have any problem on that end.  If she pays off the IRS tax bill with her BRAVO paycheck the loan officer isn't going to care if she "owed taxes" as long as they have been paid or are being paid.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Purchasing within your price range is always a good idea.  And yes, rates are very low right now, so another perk of purchasing.  I’m not disputing any of that.  That’s all fine and great. And of course no one knew what COVID was gonna do to the market. The issue is that property taxes go up every year.  Utilities on that million dollar house are high AF.   They’ve been burned in the past, why dig yourself into that same hole AGAIN?  Just because you have a TV gig now and Juan is coaching (for now).   You’re just coming off owing the IRS $90k, which I don’t give a crap how many Bravo checks it took her to pay it off like it’s no big deal.  Getting into debt to the IRS for $90k in the first place is a major financial mismanagement issue.  I’m also guessing they were foreclosed on with their former home?  I guess that wasn’t ever really divulged.  Either way...setting yourself up for foreclosure #2 just isn’t a great plan.  In my opinion, of course.

1 hour ago, drivethroo said:

Candiace closed on her house in early October 2020. The house had been listed before at $1,250,000 but the price kept dropping until Candiace got it for $1 million. It just depends on the area.  I've seen the higher end homes in my area only stay on the market for about a week before going under contract ...the only people who are able to buy right now are the people with higher incomes.

As far as Robyn looking to buy when she's broke, the loan officer/underwriter will let her know how much she can afford and how much she needs to put down.  You can buy houses, cars, etc when you're one year out from bankruptcy so Robyn shouldn't have any problem on that end.  If she pays off the IRS tax bill with her BRAVO paycheck the loan officer isn't going to care if she "owed taxes" as long as they have been paid or are being paid.

Thank you both for sharing, this is one of the few areas in life where I don't' have a super strong and passionate opinion so its really interesting to hear different thoughts and perspectives.  Very interesting to consider the implications of property taxes increasing dramatically, even if you buy your house for a song.  

• Love 2
12 hours ago, drivethroo said:

https://realityblurb.com/2020/11/28/photos-rhop-star-candiace-dillard-buys-1-million-dollar-home-see-photos-of-inside-candiace-and-husband-chris-bassetts-cozy-yet-stylish-house/

A picture of the outside of her new house.

• Useful 1