Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: Essential Workers

• Start Topic

Main Topic:  Challenges essential workers face; e.g, job insecurity, lack of healthcare and sick leave

Also:  (the horror that is) Peeps; animals visiting other animals; photoshopping Queen Elizabeth; paintings of shirts and ties; John gets the rat erotica! 😸

Original air date 2020.04.12 

So there will be a new episode tomorrow? Given that it'll be Easter, I'm thinking the topic will center on religion. Maybe how a lot of churches aren't discouraging services that could lead to sickness or worse? And John will say something like, "Look, just because Jesus came back from the dead doesn't mean He wants several hundred thousand people to take His place."

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

He may mention people going to church, but I doubt that would be his main segment. Earlier this week there was something in the news that I thought would be a good subject for him to delve into, but of course I can't remember it now.

• Love 1

HE FOUND THE PAINTING YAY :D!

Also, I am cackling at the other pictures people sent him. That is fantastic. A+ work, people. 

Again, a sorely welcome bit of lightness after such a maddening story. Jesus, this whole situation is such a damn clusterfuck. "I don't need pizza, I need to be able to pay my bills." I mean...you would think somebody shouldn't have to state something so obvious in this day and age, but apparently we do, because some still have yet to get the memo. 

Can somebody please hold Bezos and the other executives at Amazon accountable already for their utterly shitty policies already? This is insane. And those leaked comments. Wow. Fucking wow. 

"Dollar store Bill Nye." LOL. Accurate.

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 18
17 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I didn't know that I needed to see rat erotica on the Queen.  Now I know that was exactly what I needed.  

This!  This is exactly what everyone needs!!

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Between the Peeps and that final segment I laughed so hard I peed in my pants. 

The bit at the beginning with the cat just casually bathing itself in the background while that guy was trying to do a report was hilarious, too. 

• Love 10

...those tie pictures...seriously? Who BUYS that stuff? You really need to be married to someone with money to be able to make a business out of tie pictures…

"There is no better argument for a welfare state than watching your government trying to built one when it is already too late."

WORDS!!!

Okay...so that are Peeps? I just recently heard about them...urgh, they look nasty...why the hell are they popular in the US? They aren't even cute….

• Love 6

You know, I am wondering if John Oliver isn't currently giving the artist a boost...this kind of exposure has the tendency to push up the prices. Plus, there actually is something about those paintings….

• Love 3

Anyone selling a tie painting will be able to claim a healthy tax loss...Maybe this is like Lord Of War where Nic Cage secretly bought every crappy painting that his wife made and hid them in a shipping container...John will soon be paying Arrly Dulkow $10...

• Love 2

Looks like I was wrong about my prediction. John goes for a societal problem visible to us, but he still manages to dole out shame to the appropriate parties. It's a pity so few of them are capable of feeling that emotion.

On the bright side, John got his rat erotica!* One day, we need to find out the process of how John gets to play with that sweet HBO money. And he got some extra stuff . . . like himself as a sexy humanoid rat! And two koalas banging with a reference to his chlamydia ward!

*"Eratica"?

• Love 8

Rat erotica on the British queen...It just feels right.

I looked up Kudlow’s paintings so I could balk at what were sure to be ridiculous prices. Among her pieces (firmly in the “waiting room art“ genre) was what I believe to be a painting of blue tissue paper, entitled “Cerulean.” Price? Seven grand. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, swanpride said:

Okay...so that are Peeps? I just recently heard about them...urgh, they look nasty...why the hell are they popular in the US? They aren't even cute….

Peeps : Easter :: Candy corn : Halloween. Both are equally inexplicable. 

Is it something wrong with me? Have I stayed inside too much? Because that rat painting is kind of a turn-on. 😳

• LOL 7

John's impression of GOP resistance to putting protections/aid in place was savage: "But if we help people today, the Democrats will just want to help MORE people tomorrow!" I also liked the remarks at the end of the story about a lot of societal problems that aren't caused by COVID-19 have been magnified by it and are in turn exacerbating the crisis - right now, we're using bandaids, but when this is all over, we'll need surgery.

He got the rat erotica! All those other drawings were fabulous too. At the very end, a glimmer of hope!

• Love 15
1 hour ago, arachne said:

Is it something wrong with me? Have I stayed inside too much? Because that rat painting is kind of a turn-on. 😳

I resent that analogy! Candy corn is delicious, but I don’t know what people see in Peeps.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Peeps are good for a few things- squishing and blowing up in the microwave. I would not recommend eating them.

He got the rat erotica! I didn't know how bad I needed that cathartic laugh.

And kudos to whoever had it; that email was perfect. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I didn't understand how Larry Kudlow's wife is even eligible for any kind of financial relief.  She's self employed.  She can presumably still do her paintings from home and sell them. Why in the hell does she think it right for her to get money from the government when there's no evidence she's even been affected by the shutdown?  

• Love 15

In addition, she is freaking RICH!!!. She certainly won't get broke even if her business would suffer temporarily. And those prices are ridiculous. That the rat erotica cost less is a great injustice.

I wonder if those paintings are along the same line of socialites somehow making a lot of money by "designing jewellery" and similar BS. Always wondered if that is some sort of tax scam.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

So are the only ones getting the financial relief the wives and relatives of rich people? That figures. 

He actually got the painting! Of course he did. 

I really thought John was kidding about the tie paintings.  

Loved the episode. Yes as nice as the free food is getting what they really need is to pay their bills and health insurance would be so much better. Oh no that can't happen. "The Democrats are going to want more." Sure its not like the actual workers are going to want good health insurance, care and sick days.  John saying they assumed big companies already had that but I really doubt they really did. Which politicians would think that? The Republicans who are against it and veto it every chance they get or the Democrats who keep trying to pass it. 

Dollar store Bill Nye 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ALenore said:

I didn't understand how Larry Kudlow's wife is even eligible for any kind of financial relief.  She's self employed.  She can presumably still do her paintings from home and sell them. Why in the hell does she think it right for her to get money from the government when there's no evidence she's even been affected by the shutdown?  

No shame.  From her to apply for relief.  For her husband to tout how easy it was.  Disgusting.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, ALenore said:

Right? When poor people need aid, we can't seem to cough up any money for them, and besides that, we don't want them to get "too comfy" on welfare (proof, of course, that the people who say such things have never actually been on welfare, because, um, yeah, "comfy" it is not) or anything like that. They need to just work harder, and stop being so irresponsible with their money, and all that.

But when rich people need government help? Oh, suddenly we have all the funds available for them! We need to help them, 'cause, y'know, they're the job creators! And if they happen to blow any money on stuff they don't need, well, y'know, it's their money, they should be allowed to do so, 'cause that's just what rich people do!

Just complete and total infuriating bullshit. 

• Love 12

Rat Erotica Acquired!  A good day for John, a good day for America!

That was exactly what we needed after all this BS.  Yes things need to change so bad.  How dare Dollar Store Bill Bye call out Democrats for wanting to HELP PEOPLE!

• Love 2

not just people. SOCIETY!!! After all, we currently see exactly what happens if you leave too many people behind. It makes a bad situation even worse, it creates a fall-out which impacts wealthy people, too. Well, maybe not the super-wealthy. They just hop to another country which is smarter in this regard.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Right? When poor people need aid, we can't seem to cough up any money for them, and besides that, we don't want them to get "too comfy" on welfare (proof, of course, that the people who say such things have never actually been on welfare, because, um, yeah, "comfy" it is not) or anything like that. They need to just work harder, and stop being so irresponsible with their money, and all that.

But when rich people need government help? Oh, suddenly we have all the funds available for them! We need to help them, 'cause, y'know, they're the job creators! And if they happen to blow any money on stuff they don't need, well, y'know, it's their money, they should be allowed to do so, 'cause that's just what rich people do!

Just complete and total infuriating bullshit. 

THIS!!! "But if we help people today, the Democrats will just want to help MORE people tomorrow. WAAAH!!!" Eat shit and fuck off with that goddamn nonsense, dollar store Bill Nye and Rick "Voldermort" Scott! That attitude and behavior during this pandemic is how revolutions in other countries get started. The right's attitude towards COVID-19 should never be forgotten.

That peeps segment was non stop laughing that I needed.

The Queen actually looks pretty good as a Starfleet Commander.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, arachne said:

I agree. Both are gross so I never understood the popularity of either. At Easter, you can have jelly beans, chocolate eggs/bunnies, those little jelly eggs covered in tiny white dots, chocolate malted eggs, etc. but you choose bitter tasting florescent colored poop shaped marshmallows? And at Halloween you can have ANY candy but you choose candy corn? WHY?

• Love 10

John got me so worked up at the end of the episode I was actually crying when he finally showed the rat painting. It was like I could feel the hope coming back to me! The man is an absolute genius!

• Love 11

I really want more of the back story on the journey of the Eratica painting.  Did the guy who owned it just happen to be a fan of JO, and see the original show?  His email to John suggests he has the sort of sense of humor that would lead him to watch the show, but if so, why did it take apparently several days to contact John?  If he didn't see the show, how did he find out that his Eratica painting was sought after?   Was he the original purchaser, or had the picture been passed lovingly down from generation to generation? If he wasn't the orginal purchaser, how many degrees of separation were there between the purchaser and the current owner?  Did he have the picture proudly on display over his dining room table, or was it forgotten in his attic until he discovered it was a precious piece of artwork?   Did he own the entire collection? Was he sad to part with it?   So many questions.   I know John has many much more important issues to cover, but really, I want an entire segment devoted to Finding Ratmo.

• Love 19
3 hours ago, Hooper said:

I know John has many much more important issues to cover, but really, I want an entire segment devoted to Finding Ratmo.

Yeah I'd like to know how much John/The Show paid for it. And what they plan to do with it. Sure, it's funny, but it's not something I'd want hanging on my wall. I imagine the show has offices somewhere, it will probably wind up there.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

John got me so worked up at the end of the episode I was actually crying when he finally showed the rat painting. It was like I could feel the hope coming back to me! The man is an absolute genius!

Thank goodness I’m not the only one this happened to!

• Love 7

I keep reading posts where you guys are talking about eratica and my nitpicking brain says "no its erotica" and then I remember what we're talking about and it makes me smile.  So, thanks to all of you for that!

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
On 4/13/2020 at 10:18 AM, sab85 said:

He got the rat erotica! I didn't know how bad I needed that cathartic laugh.

And kudos to whoever had it; that email was perfect. 

It was.  As much as I would have liked to be the person who had it, I was thankful I wasn't because I would have fucked up the email.

• Love 4
On 4/14/2020 at 4:12 PM, iMonrey said:

Yeah I'd like to know how much John/The Show paid for it. And what they plan to do with it. Sure, it's funny, but it's not something I'd want hanging on my wall. I imagine the show has offices somewhere, it will probably wind up there.

I thought he was going to place it on the blank wall to his right side.   You know, the one painted with the color "whale jizz".

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 2:18 PM, ALenore said:

So I went down the Judith Pond Kudlow rabbit hole and found this

The NYK Academy is the new name for the school founded in 2002 by Andrea J. Smith and Judy Kudlow known as the Harlem Studio of Art.

That curriculum is now taught at two locations, the NYK Academy in the Bronx and the Atelier Canova in Rome, Italy. Judy Kudlow is the Director of the NYK Academy, and Andrea J. Smith is the Director of Atelier Canova.

The philosophy and curriculum of the two schools are derived from the same source and are similar.

In 2016, the NYK Academy moved to a larger space, at the Willow Avenue Atelier in the Port Morris section of the South Bronx. It is an up-and-coming neighborhood, only a few blocks from the Cypress Ave./138th St. subway stop. The studio is well-lit by 14 north-facing windows on the fourth floor of the historic Paperclip Building.

Enrollment

Students work individually on their projects with one-on-one daily instruction from Ms. Kudlow. Enrollment is, therefore, on an on-going basis, year round. Classes generally meet every day from 1:00 to 4:00, but students may design their own schedule as needed.

Tuition is $400 per month, and scholarships are available.

Students wishing to enroll should contact Ms. Kudlow at 917-492-1923.

This is literally dripping with privilege with a dash of gentrification and a dollop of entitlement. 

• Useful 3