Type keyword(s) to search

Getting to Genoa You All Over Again: Y&R Daily Chat

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

I seem to remember Adam saving the day from whatever bald server guy was up to.  Either there was a bomb in the basement and Adam found it, or bald server guy was going to shoot Victor and Adam took the bullet.  It didn't look like Adam was at the ceremony, but I think he showed up in the next episode.  

I'm totally blanking on who was that oily type bohunk pitching woo to Abby.  I want to say he was the brother of that nebulous girlfriend Noah had in NY.  I think she had a suitcase of stolen money, and her brother was a cop or something.  ?  It was one of those stories with lots of build-up that go nowhere, the Josh Griffith Classic.  Whoever that guy was, he had Nick's panties all twisted in a bunch.  And I think Lauren was acting shifty because she had just started her affair with Carmine.  I could be wrong about all of this because I thought the show was at its crappiest around this time and I only paid half-attention. 

Prince Matchabelli?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Prince Matchabelli?

No, that was Marisa's ex, Luca, and that all happened post-Marco.  This guy was working class, a prototype for Rey.  It looked like he was maybe providing security for the wedding when he wasn't chatting up Abby.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

And I think Lauren was acting shifty because she had just started her affair with Carmine. 

Ughhhhhh!!!!!  I had finally successfully erased that bullshit from my memory.  THANKS.  🤣

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

No, that was Marisa's ex, Luca, and that all happened post-Marco.  This guy was working class, a prototype for Rey.  It looked like he was maybe providing security for the wedding when he wasn't chatting up Abby.

That was Alejandro, whose real name was Zach and he was the brother of Noah's girlfriend at the time, Adriana, I think.  They were both - I think - undercover cops and they both had other identities, all of whom were as boring as the Inner Life of Victor "yougotthat" Newman.

Edited by boes
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 6/20/2020 at 2:30 AM, bannana said:

Plus they kept showing Drinki with her extremely high-heels, making us think she was going to trip down the stairs or the aisle. 

Wasn't this the wedding where Nicki's MS was recurring while Victor, in his subtle smashmouth-style, was ramrodding the rebuilding of The Ranch/Wedding/arranging the MS charity concert for Nicki to perform? Nicki was having trouble clasping her bracelet, her slow reactions, measured breathing, cautiously descending the staircase, the aging makeup to make her look wan and ill.

Those were peculiar choices for Y&R Wedding Week. Most of the weddings weren't  memorable for their romantic setting or presentation, or were disgusting because of the reasons the participant's were getting hitched -- No one needed to watch hugely pregative Phyllis and Nick's get it on after being married in a Country Western boozer.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Those were peculiar choices for Y&R Wedding Week. Most of the weddings weren't  memorable for their romantic setting or presentation, or were disgusting because of the reasons the participant's were getting hitched -- No one needed to watch hugely pregative Phyllis and Nick's get it on after being married in a Country Western boozer.

1000%.  Where was the ROMANCE???  Wedding week was a total dud.  

• Love 7

Watching today’s episode, I missed the intro.  Was this BM’s Emmy submission?  There were quite a few dramatic performances.

Personally, I think the Emmy should have gone to the special effects team for that driving scene with Victor and Nikki.  They borrow that background from Toonces the Driving Cat?  🤦🏻‍♀️🤣

• LOL 17
  • Love 1

I want more! I want more! 1984 was an interesting year. So much going on in this episode. Beth Maitland and Jeanne cooper were both so good. And it was such a treat to see everyone so young, except Cora who was so wrinkled. You don't usually see wrinkles like that on a soap any more. This must have been Cricket's first week on the show, before she ever had an acting lesson. And it was interesting to see the characters before different story lines happened. I'm just glad we did not have to see Danny's music video. 

51 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

Watching today’s episode, I missed the intro.  Was this BM’s Emmy submission?  

Yes. She had her emmy there with her.

• Love 5

BM was so good in this. LLB’s Baby Cockroach was laughably bad. But the revelation for me was MD. Normally, I never took Danny seriously, but here, railing at Traci, he elevated his performance to match her’s. I actually liked them as a couple, even if their marriage started as one of convenience. 

Which reminds me - Patty is responsible for the deaths of two of Traci’s children.  Her unborn child with Tim (and huge ick to him being her professor and of consent age or not, he was in a position of authority) and Colleen.

I loved the Cora/Victor storyline.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

BM was so good in this. LLB’s Baby Cockroach was laughably bad. But the revelation for me was MD. Normally, I never took Danny seriously, but here, railing at Traci, he elevated his performance to match her’s. I actually liked them as a couple, even if their marriage started as one of convenience. 

Which reminds me - Patty is responsible for the deaths of two of Traci’s children.  Her unborn child with Tim (and huge ick to him being her professor and of consent age or not, he was in a position of authority) and Colleen.

I loved the Cora/Victor storyline.  

Didn't she also almost kill Dummer?

• Love 4
5 hours ago, geauxaway said:

1000%.  Where was the ROMANCE???  Wedding week was a total dud.  

Michael's proposal to Lauren was both romantic and cool.  They should have followed with their actual wedding, especially since they've become a long established couple.  

Why not Neil and Dru's wedding instead of Malcolm and Olivia?   I don't know why Y&R ever paired Olivia with either Winters brother in the first place.  Her character always gave off "I have a sick headache Frank" vibes to me.  The equally dull Nathan was her perfect partner.  

• Love 4

How old was Nikki supposed to be at the time of this episode? I wasn't pleased to hear Victor refer to her as a "sensible girl." In his mind "sensible" tends to mean "obedient." 😒

The hail was such a big deal about Danny's music video? Rock OFF!

It's interesting that Cricket called Danny instead of 9-1-1. And by "interesting" I mean fcuking stupid. In the time it took for no-medical-training-having Danny to show up and yell at her to wake up, Traci could've died or suffered critical physical damage.

Cora was a piece of work. Guess it's clear where Victor got much of his deviousness from. And did she have him when she was 10? IMO, she didn't look that much older than him. 😼

Nikki "sweet and innocent"? By this point she'd been a stripper, belonged to cult, had an STD, and given birth to a kid out of wedlock. She was a lot a things but maybe innocent was pretty low on the list. I guess she had everybody fooled. (Except perhaps Paul.)

What was Princess Lauren's deal? Was she financing Danny's music video project out of her own pocket?

Nikki's baby voice. Like nails on a chalkboard to me. 😑

So Traci got knocked up by that Tim guy. Who maybe had a wife? Oy. And he wasn't even hot like Steve or Brad. That's what happens when you lower your standards, Traci.

• Love 6
On 6/12/2020 at 7:47 AM, boes said:

Daniel sure had his moments.  He was the only character I can think of who pretty consistently saw through his mother's b.s. and called Phyllis on it.  He is missed.

Come to think of it, Daniel is one of the very few consistently decent people, even when others in life--but especially his own mother FFS!--try to screw him over. He's the Y&R equivalent to Bridget Forrester, who was genuinely decent towards everyone.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

No one needed to watch hugely pregative Phyllis and Nick's get it on after being married in a Country Western boozer.

Also, that wedding wasn't even legal. Nick tried to beg the court to push up  his divorce to Sharon because he knocked Phyllis up and the judge told him in so many word to go blow it out his ass. 

This was one of the most satisfying court episodes in Y&R's entire history, I tell ya 😛

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

I was a little bored watching star-struck Where-the-hell-did-you-get-that-huge-pink-clutch-purse-and-matching-flats-combo? Cricket save Tracy so Danny could selflessly propose to her, protecting her from the humiliation of telling her family she got knocked up by Tim Sullivan. Excellent White Knighting on Danny's part. Lauren is going to plotz went she finds out she lost Danny to Tracy, and all her scheming and conniving was for nothing.

Props to Gina for shouting down Lauren's mall hair ambitions to get the upper hand on Danny. I love Patty Weaver.

The most satisfying SL of the episode was Cora (Dorothy McGuire) using Victor's hatred of her to protect Nicki and Mrs. C from his rage. Everyone was chewing the scenery, while DMcG stole the spotlight in every scene. Big entrance, then standing very still, simply dressed, barely any stage makeup and turning the tables on all of them. That's a pro.

• Love 9
(edited)

LLB really was bad here. It’s 1984 & I’m 20 years old. I watched this in real time & I didn’t know she stunk then. How odd?! She obviously knew someone in casting, right? LOL!!!! IIRC she’d come out to LA on her school vacations and have a storyline for the summer. I’m not exactly sure when she LLB became a contract player. No wonder Terry Lester left. She was horrible but she did look pretty in pink. I thought Eric Braden was great with Dorothy Mcquire. There was so much anger in Victor being left at the orphanage. It was a great back story but now he’s just mumbling pain in the a**. Beth Maitland did a great job but I always thought it was crazy that she was the first one to win the Emmy for the show. All that said, can I go back to 1984? It was so innocent and such fun. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
(edited)

Yesterday was a mostly pleasant surprise.  I didn't ff hardly any of it.  

This all happened before I started watching Y&R and I didn't know a thing about Traci's attempted suicide.  She was excellent.  While it was difficult to look beyond Danny's most impressive coiffure - I never managed one of those even back then, when I had the hair to try - when I could pull my eyes away from that most noble of creations, he was pretty good!

As for Laura Lee Bell, I have to say at this point in her career, she was a very accomplished mouth breather.  That's a good start for someone who was going to suck the life out of Show.  I loved watching her blow on that hanging shard of glass in the second window she broke.  

Lauren was a real pain in the ass, wasn't she?   I'm not so crazy about the Jessica Rabbit imitation she's been doing for the past 10 plus years, but what a little pill she was back then!  Well done.

What a pleasure it was to watch Jeanne Cooper and Dorothy Maguire at work in those scenes, especially the last one, the one they shared only with each other.  I didn't see this storyline when it was first shown but I have seen what I could of it online, and I loved it.  Dorothy Magure was perfection.  

It was funny, though, listening to Victor with his undefined mittel Europe accent complain to his midwest-to-the-bone mother about her abandoning him.  What did she do, take a bus and drop him off in Latvia?

If only.......

Wouldn't it be great if he had this breakthrough and remembered the last thing his mother said to him as she pushed him out of the moving car in front of the orphanage was "Youhaveanicedaynow".  

It would explain a lot.

Edited by boes
  • LOL 11
  • Love 7

Victor with his undefined mittel Europe accent

Has the show ever explained what that accent is all about or have they always just pretended Victor doesn't have one? (Kind of like how they're doing with Lone Star Chance Chancellor now. 🙄) It'd be funny if B&B and Y&R did character crossovers again and there was a scene between Victor and the current Ridge Forrester. B&B has never explained why Ridge now has a vague European accent either.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, boes said:

As for Laura Lee Bell, I have to say at this point in her career, she was a very accomplished mouth breather.  That's a good start for someone who was going to suck the life out of Show.  I loved watching her blow on that hanging shard of glass in the second window she broke.  

That was quite the performance by Lauralee, and what shook me out of Tracy's suicide attempt. It wouldn't have hurt if TIIC had shown the preceding episodes leading to Tracy's decision to kill herself, but why waste time storytelling? Throw randomly themed episodes at the screen to fill in the mandated studio lockdown. 

Makes you wonder if Lauralee might have made a better writer than actress. Granted, MAB (Lauralee's SIL) gutted Y&R during her regime and her brother (Bradley Bell) continues to make plenty of coin recycling his father's original SLs on B&B; how bad could Lauralee Bell be in a producer/writer/not an actress capacity?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

I will say that EB was good looking back then in a cowboy way. He looks good for his age now but back then he was on fire. Too bad he isn’t that guy now. 

Don't tell him that!  He'd be crushed if he thought all those Spanx were for naught.

• LOL 6

Can someone, anyone, please explain what about today's episode was Emmy-worthy for EB?

Although I have to say that EB is always so cute with the kids. I'll bet he's a great dad/grandfather in real life.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Although I have to say that EB is always so cute with the kids. I'll bet he's a great dad/grandfather in real life.

EB does pretty well with kids. It's the rare instance he's somewhat tolerable.

• Love 7

The episode starts in the middle of a scene which carried over from the previous episode that we did not get to see. Geez. And if I hadn't turned on the closed captioning I wouldn't have had any idea who those people were. As it is I still don't know why that Kurt guy was such a big deal that three legacy characters spent a good part of this episode either talking to him or about him.

Adam? Heh, bet Victor regrets teaching Adam how to punch him. 🤔

Lol, who would've been following Dru and Neil around with a video camera so they could make a music video of their honeymoon? It wasn't like they were celebrities. That was goofy.

Dang, Kay was slaying in her full length fur coat. Was that chinchilla?

So Victor called the boy Victor Jr. and he told the boy to call him Victor. Did he think the kid wasn't smart enough to put two and two together? No wonder Adam hates him. The mindfcukery started early.

That was supposed to be Grace Turner? Hmmm.  Guess they "taking the character in a different direction" because that version of Grace wasn't exactly the sexpot Jennifer Gareis played.

Grace's jacket was hurting my eyes. The fabric looked to me like it came from a chenille bedspread. Nothing wrong with chenille bedspreads but I wouldn't want to wear one if I had a choice. 😑

Did Victor get an award for finally claiming Adam as his son? Sounded like the main reason he did it was because things were momentarily sour with Nick. Adam was a temporary consolation prize, soon to be abandoned again.

Aw, was that the first time we saw Cassie?

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

As it is I still don't know why that Kurt guy was such a big deal that three legacy characters spent a good part of this episode either talking to him or about him.

And he was played by Damian Smith (with a pony tail)!  My son (12 years old) was in the room today with me and made the comment “that guy looks evil!”  🤣🤣.  I was like yeah he sure does look like he is up to no good (cue ominous music).

• LOL 5

This could have been Josie Davis' last day as Grace Turner.  Jennifer Gareis is listed as taking over at the end of February '97 but this episode is dated March 19, which is also the date listed as Camryn Grimes' first day as Cassie.  

Grace slowly became conniving around this time keeping Cassie a secret from Sharon, and then seducing Nick.  

It's funny that I remember Josie Davis as Grace but can't remember that Kurt guy to save my life, although I didn't like Shari Shattuck's incarnation of Ashley and was likely fast-forwarding through all of her scenes.

1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

And he was played by Damian Smith (with a pony tail)

Leigh McCloskey.  Even recognizing the actor didn't help me remember the character.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

And he was played by Damian Smith (with a pony tail)!  My son (12 years old) was in the room today with me and made the comment “that guy looks evil!”  🤣🤣.  I was like yeah he sure does look like he is up to no good (cue ominous music).

Kurt was one of those good guys who almost everybody liked.  Even Victor!  He saved Ashley from some muggers, he saved Hope when she was choking on a ham sandwich, he almost saved Sasha (who may have been killed by Phyllis) from a fire, but she died at the hospital.  He disappeared for a long time with no explanation (How does it go? Went upstairs to get some skis?), then re-surfaced out of nowhere a few years ago as Nikki's doctor treating her MS, then disappeared again with no explanation, just like Nikki's MS.  I had a big crush on Leigh McCloskey when he was Lucy Ewing's husband on Dallas.

How funny that Dru had episodes of Diagnosis Murder in her VHS collection!  And I agree that CG was pretty freaking adorable when she was a kid.  

• Love 7
(edited)

I was mostly intrigued by Kurt's hair in today's episode.  Between Danny's do in yesterday's episode, and Kurt's today, I seem to be fixated on what's missing in my life....

I didn't remember this Ashley at all, not even a little.  Those were nice scenes with Hope, what a sweet character she was.

The elaborate, one-time sets, like the lawyer's office, and the outdoor filming were nice, things we took for granted until they were gone.

Man, Victor's eyebrows could have had their own show.

Edited by boes
  • LOL 5
  • Love 6

I don’t have any memory of Leigh McCloskey being on Y&R. GH & SB yes.....Y&R no. I always thought Shari Shattuck was the weakest of the Ashley replacements. She didn’t have “it”. I remember thinking Josie Davis was really pretty and perfectly fine as Grace. I guess they wanted to vavavoom up Grace and hen hired Jennifer Garies. Also, original Tony was hot. His replacement not so much. Nick Scotti was becoming a big deal on Y&R and then he was canned. I never understood why.    

• Love 5
(edited)

Monday's 1984 episode: wow! I had no idea Beth Maitland/Traci was the first acting win for the show. LLB was so bad (especially when juxtaposed in an episode with Oscar-nominee Dorothy McGuire), it was clear she was brand new. I didn't start watching as a teen until later but on all those Michael Damien/Danny close-ups this episode I think I finally get the appeal--he truly was handsome. I think the voice, character, and hair always overwhelmed it for me and made it difficult to acknowledge. I always thought Phillip III/TB was more appealing (but this was a few years later when Cricket was more front and center and the pencil-drawing intros were cheesier and in color).  

I know I shouldn't think about ages but....was Cricket in High School and Danny/Traci/Lauren all supposed to be around 22/23? Actually, in 1984? That wouldn't have been quite as weird, I feel high schoolers had more autonomy then for good or for ill. They all seemed like babies....except the guy who was asking about Traci? Was that the baby daddy? He seemed too old for her. Was the African-American girls with the 80s textbooks in college with Traci?

Edited by JasonCC
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Also, original Tony was hot. His replacement not so much. Nick Scotti was becoming a big deal on Y&R and then he was canned.

I recall liking Tony #1, so I looked him up on Wikipedia. Doesn't look like his career took off. Sadly, Tony #2, Jay Bontatibus (who I barely remember), died in real life from cancer at age 52.

3 minutes ago, JasonCC said:

They all seemed like babies....except the guy who was asking about Traci? Was that the baby daddy?

Yup - Tim Sullivan, her college professor.

• Love 5

They all seemed like babies....except the guy who was asking about Traci? Was that the baby daddy?

Yup - Tim Sullivan, her college professor.

Holy shit! Okay it makes sense now...wow! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 6/7/2020 at 4:50 PM, Anna Yolei said:

Speaking of the old episodes, I never true grasp how slowly Y&R moved until I got a YouTube suggested for the John and Jill divorce story. Jack and Jill boinked in November of '83 and John finds out about the boink in May of '85. Actually, he only finds out Jill slept with someone as Lindsay obscured Jack's face as of the point that I've gotten to. Like, I was born in 1986 and I get the sense this story didn't truly get finished until I started kindergarten. 😛

I think this slow burn is what made soaps so great back then even if sometimes the impact is lost in some of the individual episodes that have been shown in these classic reruns.  The idea that a secret would percolate for at least a year, if not years, and the impact of it would just grow and grow and touch more people the longer it was not revealed.

On 6/10/2020 at 9:42 PM, Snaporaz said:

Nick needed to have someone else to blame, because it was all his fault that Cassie was even at that party.  Sharon didn't want her to go, and Nick convinced her to change her mind.

This is an old post but oh my goodness, that's what led to the original Phick affair, wasn't it?  I always remember hating it but I had forgotten why I hated it beyond the fact that it was an affair that became "true love" (blergh).  It was a culmination of his vendetta after Cassie's death.

On 6/22/2020 at 6:37 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

It's interesting that Cricket called Danny instead of 9-1-1. And by "interesting" I mean fcuking stupid. In the time it took for no-medical-training-having Danny to show up and yell at her to wake up, Traci could've died or suffered critical physical damage.

Monday was a good episode with lots of drama but the whole sequence of Cricket finding Traci was the kind of stupidity they'd do today to create false drama.  She not only doesn't call 9-1-1, she doesn't drag Traci out of the cabin where all the gas is.  Instead, she futilely tries to break a window.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

I liked this Grace much better than the replacement one, who I never found pretty or sexy. I liked Tony. I also really liked the youngish barista at Crimson Lights. Too bad they wrote him off the show. 

Wee Cassie was so tiny! I didn't realize she was so young when she started on the soap. She looks to be about 6 years old. 

• Love 8
(edited)
On 6/23/2020 at 10:18 AM, boes said:

Yesterday was a mostly pleasant surprise.  I didn't ff hardly any of it.  

This all happened before I started watching Y&R and I didn't know a thing about Traci's attempted suicide.  She was excellent.  While it was difficult to look beyond Danny's most impressive coiffure - I never managed one of those even back then, when I had the hair to try - when I could pull my eyes away from that most noble of creations, he was pretty good!

Lauren was a real pain in the ass, wasn't she?   I'm not so crazy about the Jessica Rabbit imitation she's been doing for the past 10 plus years, but what a little pill she was back then!  Well done.

What a pleasure it was to watch Jeanne Cooper and Dorothy Maguire at work in those scenes, especially the last one, the one they shared only with each other.  I didn't see this storyline when it was first shown but I have seen what I could of it online, and I loved it.  Dorothy Magure was perfection.  

It was funny, though, listening to Victor with his undefined mittel Europe accent complain to his midwest-to-the-bone mother about her abandoning him.  What did she do, take a bus and drop him off in Latvia?

If only.......

Wouldn't it be great if he had this breakthrough and remembered the last thing his mother said to him as she pushed him out of the moving car in front of the orphanage was "Youhaveanicedaynow".  

It would explain a lot.

Yes, the hair [on Danny]! The hair! It should have had its own agent. And Cricket--pretty in pink, okay. Nothing much else--also significant hair, I might add. Since I'm on hair at the mo, the Young Hateful Lauren sure had a bunch of it going on, too. It didn't make her any more charming. And poor, suicidal Traci--her hair was just awful, colour, cut, the works.

Plot-wise, the old student/professor mess. Too close to reality, I can say, as someone in that business--it's still going on all the time, with not nearly enough law-suits, IMO.

But, man, Dorothy Maguire and Jeanne Cooper! Well played. What wasn't well played was EB's machine-gun delivery. Was he getting paid by syllables per second? I would have left him on a porch somewhere, too, Cora.

Edited by pearlite
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5
(edited)
18 hours ago, geauxaway said:

And he was played by Damian Smith (with a pony tail)!  

I get it -- You meant the Genital Hospital character Damian Smith, played by Leigh McCloskey.

My son (12 years old) was in the room today with me and amian Smithmade the comment “that guy looks evil!”  🤣🤣.  I was like yeah he sure does look like he is up to no good (cue ominous music).

Kurt had every reason to be angry with Ashley. After Kurt had saved her from being mugged (getting shot for his trouble), Ashley imprinted and fell in love with the total stranger. She sensed he was a good man deserving of a future loving her 4Evah ... Of course.

Introduced to Katherine Chancellor, she trusted Kurt immediately and hired him as a groundskeeper on the estate. Even Victor was persuaded, and had Kurt look in on Hope and Adam at the Newman Penthouse while he went out of town to marry Diane Jenkins. 

Kurt blamed himself for the death of his wife and daughter, and didn't want to delve into his past, knowing Ashley has ulterior motives for pressuring him. The only person Kurt spoke to about his history was Hope, and she told him the past never really stays in the past for long. Particularly if you're a mysterious, information-withholding, yet noble newb character on a Soap. 

Ashley, in full Love Mission Quest, had to prove to Kurt that he was blameless for his family's death, and she was to be the recipient of his undying sexual gratitude. She went on a convoluted mission (dragging reluctant Kurt along) to discover what happened in the car accident. Ashley found the proof of an affair and that his wife was running away to meet her lover when the accident occurred, but didn't have a chance to show Kurt the note. He had an emotional breakdown/epiphany/realization, returning to Chancellor Mansion.

The scene we saw was Ashley forcing Kurt to acknowledge his wife's affair (the note he almost burned in the fireplace) and the circumstances of the car accident that killed her and the child. Kurt had made clear multiple times he didn't want to know the circumstances, but Ashley wouldn't relent because his ignorance kept him from turning to her and reciprocating her love.

Ashley continued to push Kurt to acknowledge the affair until he had enough of her rationalizing and handling him. Ashley issued the Single Perfect Tear™ to prove her sincerity, Kurt didn't buy it and she was out the door. Fade on Angry Kurt, reconsidering burning the note while crushing it in his fist.

Later episodes in the SL: Knowing about the affair didn't specifically absolve Kurt from blaming himself or casting blame elsewhere. He had the reason why his wife and child were on the road, and still blamed himself to some extent for the accident. Kurt felt if he hadn't been more available to his family, then his wife wouldn't have resorted to an affair to fill in the time he was working as a doctor. Kurt chose to focus the blame on to the guy Wife was having the affair, and was out for revenge-lite -- Kurt's still a good guy after all.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think this slow burn is what made soaps so great back then even if sometimes the impact is lost in some of the individual episodes that have been shown in these classic reruns.  The idea that a secret would percolate for at least a year, if not years, and the impact of it would just grow and grow and touch more people the longer it was not revealed.

This is an old post but oh my goodness, that's what led to the original Phick affair, wasn't it?  I always remember hating it but I had forgotten why I hated it beyond the fact that it was an affair that became "true love" (blergh).  It was a culmination of his vendetta after Cassie's death.

Monday was a good episode with lots of drama but the whole sequence of Cricket finding Traci was the kind of stupidity they'd do today to create false drama.  She not only doesn't call 9-1-1, she doesn't drag Traci out of the cabin where all the gas is.  Instead, she futilely tries to break a window.

This is gonna sound dumb (never stopped me before) but was 911 even around then? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

This is gonna sound dumb (never stopped me before) but was 911 even around then?

I guess maybe this cabin is one of the places that didn't get access to 911 but I was a kid in WI in the 80s and I definitely knew about 911.  You'd think Cricket would at least try it because I'm betting Genoa City, with all its international corporations, is big enough to support the system.

• Love 6

What was NVP? Neon Vanilla Pancakes? New Velvet Pantaloons?

I wasn't watching Y&R much during this era but I do remember the hotness that was Ji Min. Yum.

So how did Jill become the CEO of Jabot?

That Carmen chick might as well have had KILL ME tattooed on her forehead, huh?

Lily wasted no time telling Devon exactly what Dru told her not to. Ehhhh, I don't know why Lily and Devon were all up in grown folks' business anyway. 😑

Aw geez, the dreaded reliquary? FFS, one of the MWTs must've been getting their story ideas from a word-a-day calendar. 😒 Whatever, maybe Brad and them should've hired Indiana Jones to look for it.

Yeah, I bet Jill did want face-to-face meetings with Ji Min. Groin-to-groin meetings too. 🙄

Whee, Devon stepped to Carmen like he was coming straight up out that Third. Or so he thought. Apparently nobody in the Winters family was savage enough to deal with Carmen.

I'll never understand what Brad saw in Victoria.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

What was NVP? Neon Vanilla Pancakes? New Velvet Pantaloons?

I wasn't watching Y&R much during this era but I do remember the hotness that was Ji Min. Yum.

So how did Jill become the CEO of Jabot?

That Carmen chick might as well have had KILL ME tattooed on her forehead, huh?

Lily wasted no time telling Devon exactly what Dru told her not to. Ehhhh, I don't know why Lily and Devon were all up in grown folks' business anyway. 😑

Aw geez, the dreaded reliquary? FFS, one of the MWTs must've been getting their story ideas from a word-a-day calendar. 😒 Whatever, maybe Brad and them should've hired Indiana Jones to look for it.

Yeah, I bet Jill did want face-to-face meetings with Ji Min. Groin-to-groin meetings too. 🙄

Whee, Devon stepped to Carmen like he was coming straight up out that Third. Or so he thought. Apparently nobody in the Winters family was savage enough to deal with Carmen.

I'll never understand what Brad saw in Victoria.

Looks like they had different hair wrangler for Vic back then.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)

^Nikki and Phyllis decided to start a luxury spa business together.  Of course, Victor had to horn in, hence NVP (NikkiVictorPhyllis).  When Jack wanted to join in the fun by offering them a prime spot in his Clear Springs development in exchange for a partnership, Phyllis rolled her eyes and looked like she wanted to vomit.  The whole enterprise eventually went up in smoke when Clear Springs blew up.

When Gloria tainted Ashley's revolutionary face cream, Jabot was hit with a potentially devastating lawsuit.  Jack was CEO at the time, and he offended one of the plaintiffs.  The only way to save the company was for Catherine to step in and buy it, and Jack was barred from having anything to do with the company.  Catherine named Jill CEO.  Jack secretly bought House of Kim, with Ji Min acting as his cover.  House of Kim made Kay an offer she couldn't refuse for Jabot (she didn't really want Jabot anyway, she only bought it to secure John's legacy), so Jack finally got Jabot back.  Joining NVP helped make it look like he had moved on from Jabot to other projects.  Ashley never had much use for Jill, so I don't get why she was so offended on Jill's behalf.  She never passes up a chance to blow some shit to Jack. 

As nice as it is seeing Colleen again, it still makes me sad.  Professor Cowbell...nice one, TJ!

You have to love Brad Carlton, Nazi Hunter!  Too bad he's not around today, because they're showing up all over the place.  

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, granderobino said:

Oh good. Looks like I get to be the first to say it:

Reliquary!

Oh the halcyon days of Y&R drinking games...

"Influencer" is the new Reliquary!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2